Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Went to the local range last week, goal was to shoot my 7 PRC as it got soaked while hunting and I took it apart to clean and dry, then reassembled, knowing the POI would probably be off a bit. Just finished a new 6.5 CM build, a Defiance Ruckus Tactical/Proof carbon/McMillan, and I wanted to sight it in for a hunting trip in January (GA).

Two things were new experiences for me, the PRC shot to the same point of impact as prior to taking the stock off (not bedded) and did not require any changes. My past experience is that a rifle need to "shoot-in" a few shots to seat the recoil lug, not this time.

The other experience was that I pulled the scope for the new CM from another very similar rifle and after bore sighting (looking down the bore with the bolt removed at the target 100 yards away), I fired the first shot and it was virtually dead-on where I wanted it, made only very fine adjustments. Final group was only two shots as I'm about out of ammo and saving a few for last hunt.

Range time isn't always what I expect but this visit exceeded expectations.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
They look to be some good shooting rifles. Good luck on your hunt!

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nothing better than a day at the shooting range đź‘Ť.....Hb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If a raindrop shut things down and mandated disassembly...one could never reassemble here. Hint..................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bob-

Those are really nice lookin' rigs!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Went to the local range last week, goal was to shoot my 7 PRC as it got soaked while hunting and I took it apart to clean and dry, then reassembled, knowing the POI would probably be off a bit. Just finished a new 6.5 CM build, a Defiance Ruckus Tactical/Proof carbon/McMillan, and I wanted to sight it in for a hunting trip in January (GA).

Two things were new experiences for me, the PRC shot to the same point of impact as prior to taking the stock off (not bedded) and did not require any changes. My past experience is that a rifle need to "shoot-in" a few shots to seat the recoil lug, not this time.

The other experience was that I pulled the scope for the new CM from another very similar rifle and after bore sighting (looking down the bore with the bolt removed at the target 100 yards away), I fired the first shot and it was virtually dead-on where I wanted it, made only very fine adjustments. Final group was only two shots as I'm about out of ammo and saving a few for last hunt.

Good to hear there was no POI shift after removing it from the stock and putting it back in. When that does happen, that means you have a bedding issue. Rifles should not do that, just so you understand that. They shouldn't have to be "shot in", "to seat the recoil lug", as you state. If I had a rifle that did that, I'd be glass bedding it. Sounds like yours is sitting in that stock pretty good though. Congrats!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I dig what you’re saying Stick but it was a thorough soaking.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All my McMillans are drop-ins, no bedding. They shoot well, if they didn’t I’d bed but not necessary now.

Thanks for the kind replies!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great battery you've got there!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Good to hear there was no POI shift after removing it from the stock and putting it back in. When that does happen, that means you have a bedding issue. Rifles should not do that, just so you understand that. They shouldn't have to be "shot in", "to seat the recoil lug", as you state. If I had a rifle that did that, I'd be glass bedding it. Sounds like yours is sitting in that stock pretty good though. Congrats!!

Do you guys torque your action screws when you get them to shoot the same after you take the stock off and put back together?

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What you shooting in the PRC? Factory or handloads?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great shooting!

What can you using?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice rifles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 63 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,611
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.