Home
Posted By: adkshootr Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/23/07
I have come across a used/excellent condition Weatherby Mark V that has caught me eye, but have no experience with their rifles. This one has a stainless, fluted lightweight barrel, blued receiver, synthetic grey/black webbed stock and a Weatherby brand scope mounted on it (?). It's in .243, which would be okay for my purposes. When shouldered it fits me beautifully.

The general opinion I got from searching here is that most are satisfied with their Weatherbys. Anyone care to elaborate on their experience with these to help my decision making process?

Thanks,
Aaron
I have previously owned two mark V weatherby rifles,one on 257wby,and one in 300wby.Both were disappointments accuracy wise as despite a great deal of load development,neither was as accurate as my 700s costing half as much.On the other hand,I was very pleased with a vanguard that I also owned.
Posted By: jmt277 Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/23/07
I have a 270wby Mark V and it shoots very well. It's about 15 yrs old it loves 130 gr and 150 gr bullets. It's a different animal than a 243 but it's a very accurate gun.
Posted By: HiredGun Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/23/07
They are an excellent value. Everything on them is the best of the best. The only Mark 5's that need anything were the cheap synthetic ones that came with the super cheap plastic stock. I have yet to find one that isn't a tack driver. You will love that little fluted .243.
I have yet to find one that isn't a tack driver.

Of course they are all tack drivers.The two that I owned would have easily driven tacks if you used them as a hammer.If as you say,everything on them is the best,and they are all tack drivers,why do the standard mark V rifles only come with a three shot 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee,while the sako rifles all come with a five shot 1" accuracy guarantee.The tikka rifles costing half as much come with a three shot 1" guarantee.Even the Vanguard MOA that costs less than a mark V comes with a better accuracy guarantee.
I have yet to shoot a 3 shot or a 5 shot group at any animal. grin
I have yet to shoot a 3 shot or a 5 shot group at any animal.

True,but it is nice to know what your gun is capable of before taking a shot at an animal.Not just at 100 yards,but at any distance that you would ever consider shooting at a game animal.Or are you saying that you have never fired three or five shot groups to see for yourself what your guns will do at various ranges?
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
I have yet to find one that isn't a tack driver.

Of course they are all tack drivers.The two that I owned would have easily driven tacks if you used them as a hammer.If as you say,everything on them is the best,and they are all tack drivers,why do the standard mark V rifles only come with a three shot 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee,while the sako rifles all come with a five shot 1" accuracy guarantee.The tikka rifles costing half as much come with a three shot 1" guarantee.Even the Vanguard MOA that costs less than a mark V comes with a better accuracy guarantee.

That�s some funny stuff right there!!! Tikka???? I�m sure there is some previous owners of those rifles would have something to say on them!!! They might have a better accuracy guaranty but aren�t those the same rifles that were blowing up???
I have yet to shoot a 3 shot or a 5 shot group at any animal.

True,but it is nice to know what your gun is capable of before taking a shot at an animal.Not just at 100 yards,but at any distance that you would ever consider shooting at a game animal.Or are you saying that you have never fired three or five shot groups to see for yourself what your guns will do at various ranges?

It�s even nicer to know your gun isn�t going to exploded� That would cause a heck of a flinch not knowing if you gun might blow up when you pulled the trigger.
There were some Tikka and Sako rifles shipped with defective barrels due to poor heat treatment by the barrel suppliers,but them again the weatherby Vanguard was recalled for safety issues with their bolts.However in both cases,the problems were quickly resolved,and there have been no issues since.The bottom line is that Weatherby does not have enough confidence in their own rifles to offer a better accuracy guarantee.
The bottom line is that Weatherby does not have enough confidence in their own rifles to offer a better accuracy guarantee.

Don�t say much for Remington does it�.
Yes I have shot 3 shot groups at lasered 100,200,300,400,500 yds to see what my gun is doing at those ranges. I'm not saying that WBY is the most accurate gun in the world I was just posting my experince with a particular gun. However my Mark V shoots better than the 1.5 3 shot group that WBY claims out of the box. It took about 2 boxes to break the barrel in and has shot under 1" inch ever since at 100 yds. I have 2 M700's that shoot just as good but have had some work done to them. If you like a certain make of gun and it shoots good then what does it matter what everyone else thinks anyway.
Really a 1.5 inch group is not bad for a factory gun with factory ammo but it is nice when they shoot better from the factory which means less work to get them where you want them.
Don�t say much for Remington does it�.

Actually the one remington rifle that I paid as much for as I paid for the mark Vs came from the Remington Custom Shop.It was a 40xbks that came with an accuracy guarantee of 5 shots in 1/2".It also came with two test targets substantially better than that.The custom shop also offered a 1" accuracy guarantee on several other models.
I have also never owned a remington 700 or model 7 that would not shoot under the 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee provided by Weatherby.In fact nearly all would do better than 1" and did as good or better than the two mark Vs that I owned.

jmt277

Well said!!!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/23/07
I have 4 Weatherby's (240, 257, 270, and 30-378). The Mark V's all exhibited forearm pressure and do well after that's eliminated, and the barrels floated. The 4th is an Accumark, and befitting the name, is the most accurate "out of the box" unit I own. If the price is right, I'd take it home
I believe that Stubble and I am fairly well in the same camp on this one.

Tis been my experience that of all the guns out there made that the Makr 5 is the last one I would bet on to shoot well right from the factory. By well I mean sub 1".

Heck each and every Marlin guide gun I've worked would whoop azz at 100 yds on all but 1 of the Mark 5's I've worked with.... sick

Dober

Really a 1.5 inch group is not bad for a factory gun with factory ammo but it is nice when they shoot better from the factory which means less work to get them where you want them.

The Mark V's all exhibited forearm pressure and do well after that's eliminated, and the barrels floated.

When you pay the price for a mark V,you shouldn't have to spend any more to get them to shoot better.I now choose to buy 700 actions and have then trued and lapped before adding a mcmillan stock and a premium aftermarket barrel.The cost is about the same as a factory mark V,but they are much more accurate,and have the balance and weight to suit me.
Heck any Marlin, and or savage or Rem 710 will beat the heck out of 1.5" at 100 yds!!!

If I were building guns for a living I would be embarressed beyond belief to have a 1.5" guarantee.

Seriously 1.5 " is about as much of a joke as one can get.

Dober
Stubble

Any chance the Weatherby you owned a .300 Ultra lightwieght??
I currently own a Mark V Wby in 7 Wby Mag.. I knew when I bought it, it could turn out to be a bad purchase. Once you lay your money out, you never really kow if you're buying a shooter or not. You just try to convince yourself that it's going to be a good gun and that you made the best decision you could.

I looked at Kimbers but quickly dismissed them after hearing some of the horror stories on this board with Kimbers' service department.

I looked at Remingtons but decide I wanted a cut above.

I set my focus on the Wby Mark V, bought it and when I went to the range, the worst it shot out of 20+ handloading recipes was 2.5" and that was only two of the 20+. The rest all shot under 1". Imr 7828 & RL22 shot mirror image groups only 100 fps apart.

I now am hunting with the Scirocco 150. It shoots 1/4-3/8" groups at 100 yds. I took my first Axis Does with it in August. I am incredibly proud of the gun. It is top notch engineering and quality. Probably will move on to the NorthFork 140's.

From the start, I was leaning toward dropping the cash to build a custom. The more I studied necessary components the more I kept finding them in the Mark V. Strong action, short bolt throw, great custom barrel, completely adjustable trigger were some of the character traits considered. The Mark V was the obvious choice for me. Now it is CeraKoted in Graphite Black, Custom 20 oz. stock, Swarovski 3-10x & Talley mounts. Loaded and ready for Whacking Duty it weighs 7 3/4 pounds.

I am very satisfied and don't think I will ever have need of another rifle. Least ways, I aint lookin' for one.

I must add, I have seen the standard action Mark V Ultralights be finicky in accuracy. I have friends that shoot the UL in 257 Wby Mag and are literal tack drivers but that's a magnum action. The standard actions can be hard to get along with. If you handload thought, I don't see how you could go wrong. They are sweet rifles.
Any chance the Weatherby you owned a .300 Ultra lightwieght??

Both my 257wby and 300wby were fibermarks.Luckily for me,I bought them when a sporting goods store went out of business,so the price was well below normal,and I managed to get my money out of them when I sold them.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Heck any Marlin, and or savage or Rem 710 will beat the heck out of 1.5" at 100 yds!!!

If I were building guns for a living I would be embarressed beyond belief to have a 1.5" guarantee.

Dober

I have owned and seen Remington�s, Savage and Winchesters not do it. Besides I don�t see any accuracy guarantee on the Remington site. They should really be embarrassed. Big claims but no guarantee�.
great custom barrel,

The mark Vs do not have custom barrels unless ordered from the custom shop with one,or unless the factory barrel has been replaced.In fact the so called Kreiger barrels are actually Criterion barrels.Criterion is a company owned by Kreiger,and their barrels are button rifles unlike the real Kreiger barrels that are cut Rifled.Calling a Criterion barrel a Kreiger is the same as calling a Chevette a Cadillac.They are both owned by the same company,but are far different products.

From the Kreiger barrel site

Q: Why is there some confusion that we might do button rifling?

A: In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market. These barrels are not directly for sale to the general public. Recently there have been some magazine articles written regarding this company which has caused some confusion. Be assured that when you order a Krieger Barrel, you are getting a single-point cut-rifled Krieger Barrel.
Just to be clear I have not do anything to my Mark V but adjust the trigger, which had to be done on every remington that I have owned and still own. Also had some pressure point probelms on 3 remingtons I have owned. I have seen more than a few M700 Sendero's require work out of the box. I'm a big fan of remington so I'm not a Wby fanatic by no means. The fact is that most guns that are factory store bought will not shoot as good as a custom gun period, but there are exceptions. The other fact is most people can not shoot good enough to ever know the true potential of any gun.
I am not saying this is you Joe-but in all honesty with the Rem's
,Savages, Winchesters etc if it aint shooting sub 1.5 from the get go then there is issues somewhere.

Either the gun has a serious issue and or generally I've found it to be the nutt behind the butt that has the issues more so. And I would guess those fellas are the ones that should be embarraessed........

I've not ever seen one of those that wouldn't do sub 1.5" from about the get go with no tweaking.

Now the Wby is another issue, I have seen that.

Dober
The fact is that most guns that are factory store bought will not shoot as good as a custom gun period, but there are exceptions.

Very true,but when you pay the high price for a Mark V,you should be able to expect it to shoot as good as any other gun costing as much,custom or otherwise.

The other fact is most people can not shoot good enough to ever know the true potential of any gun.

Also true,but when I can consistently shoot much smaller groups with other rifles in similar chamberings,I can rule out my shooting abilities as a factor.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/23/07

Dober

I'm with ya on that Mark.
So if Krieger's button rifled barrel is the chevette of the barrel world where does that leave the rest of the poor schmuck button rifled barrel makers like Lilja, Hart, Pac Nor, Douglas and Shilen?

I bought all my Weatherby's used from people who couldn't get them to shoot. 3 Accumarks and one real skinney barreled German 300Wby that the previous 3 owners said wouldn't shoot under 6". I didn't even clean that one and went right out and shoot a bunch of under 1/2 groups with one measuring .291" I hated it too due to the kick and sold it to buy the Accumarks. My 300Wby Accumark with the chevette barrel doesn't get shot at 100 yards much as I usually spend my time running groups on steel at 500 yards and over. Best group to date was a sprawling 3" group at 885 yards. I'm pretty sure you couldn't bring enough ammo to even walk them in at 885.

All 3 of my Mark 5's triggers are adjusted to under 1 pound without any creep. That would take an aftermarket trigger to get this quality on a Remington. New Sendero's cost more than I paid for any Weatherby.
So if Krieger's button rifled barrel is the chevette of the barrel world

Again you missed the point.It is a Criterion barrel,not a Kreiger barrel. grin grin grin

There are some very high quality button rifled barrels available,but that is not the point.The point is that some people were mislead by Weatherby into believing that their rifle has a
real Kreiger Barrel.

All 3 of my Mark 5's triggers are adjusted to under 1 pound without any creep. That would take an aftermarket trigger to get this quality on a Remington.

I hunt with my triggers at 44ounces,as a one pound trigger pull would not be practical on a hunting rifle that is used in cold temperatures.The remington triggers work well at 44ounces.

New Sendero's cost more than I paid for any Weatherby.

And new mark Vs cost most than a new sendero,some almost double the price.
Yes our are right if I the Mark V I bought would not have come in after being shot some I would have been very disappointed. The last M700 I bought and still have is a 300RUM and it shot a 1.25 3 shot group right out of the box first the shot I fired in it. After 4 or five trips to the range and 3 boxes of bullets later it was around .75" - 1". Needless to say not bad. After a trigger job and a muzzle brake it will shot .5- .75" and it will throw a 1" group sometimes but that happens after shooting a lot. I bought a 30-06 in a 700 adl that would not shoot better than 2" group and that was trying several different loads and bullets and factory ammo also. I sent it on its way because it was going to cost me as much as paid for the gun to get it to maybe shoot better. I have had a couple experiences like this with remingtons but I have owned a lot more 700's than Mark V's. I guess I bought the only Mark V 270 wby ever made that will shoot under a 1" group. Since it's the only one I own then my experience doe not count and since you say it will not shoot and its a bad gun then I'm going to have to sell it or cut it up into little pieces and throw it in the trash!
Seriously a Rem 710 is about as much as joke for a rifle than anyone has made.

Dober
I guess I bought the only Mark V 270 wby ever made that will shoot under a 1" group.

Of course some mark V rifles will shoot Sub MOA,but for the price they all should.After all most of my 700s shot sub MOA as did my S&W 1500,my tikkas,and my Sako.None of the rifles mentioned cost as much as the regular price of a mark V.

I would never own one myself,but the ones that I have seen would do better than 1-1/2" at 100 yards.
Originally Posted by jmt277

Dober

Absolutely no doubt no argument that the 710 is the sorriest SOB to come down the pike.

But, if you had me bet on a a group of 710's and a group of MK 5's I would put all my money on the 710's whipping butt and then some when it comes to accuracy out of the box.

No doubt, get of out the wayin, game delaying slam dunk that would happen!!!

Dober

I have 5 Wby's, all on the 6 lug action - 223 rem SVM, 240 Wby mag Accumark, 25-06 Fibermark, 280 Rem Accumark, 30-06 Accumark. They all shoot good - by good I mean with handloads, 3 shot groups under an inch - the 223 is typically 5 shots under 1/2" (sometimes way under). I bought the 223 new, all the rest used (some were as new - the 280 was the most "used"). The only rifle I did anything to, was to rebed the fibermark and float the barrel. The accumarks and SVM were good to go out of the box. Now, I have Tikka T3 and 595, Rem Model 7 and 700, Winnie Model 70, Cooper M21. They all shoot good - the dogs I have gotten rid of. What's my point? I don't know, other then a lot of guys seem to condemn Weatherby's and point to a custom 700 as better. They are probably correct, depending on the level of smithing into the 700. For the $800 or so I paid for the Wbys, an $800 rem rebarrel and stock will shoot about the same or better, depending on the reloads and what not. The Coopers are a cut above those mentioned. The T3 is the most accurate, cost effective out of the box I've had experience with.

Just rambling - buy, shoot and enjoy what you want. Trade off the dogs if and when you get one.....
My Mark V 257roy UL is a sad dissapointment, but for now I still have under $100 invested in reloading components trying to get it to shoot under 2.5"
The opinion of an African Professional hunter

http://www.african-hunter.com/lessons_learned.htm
I am not saying this is you Joe-but in all honesty with the Rem's
,Savages, Winchesters etc if it aint shooting sub 1.5 from the get go then there is issues somewhere.

Either the gun has a serious issue and or generally I've found it to be the nutt behind the butt that has the issues more so. And I would guess those fellas are the ones that should be embarraessed........

I've not ever seen one of those that wouldn't do sub 1.5" from about the get go with no tweaking.

Now the Wby is another issue, I have seen that.

Dober

Mark

That�s my point exactly most people go out and buy a Weatherby in a .300 or .340 and get the crap beat out of them develop an flinch cause they can�t handle the recoil then turn around and bad mouth the rifle when on along it�s them.

By the way I have a .338 Ultra mag that won�t consistently shoot under an inch, even put a new McMillan on it and bedded it, trigger work, you know the normal stuff to get them to shoot to no avail.

So sending it off to APS to get a .338?????? don�t have a name for it right now but it�s based on the 270 AM which is based on the 300 Ultra case.
That�s my point exactly most people go out and buy a Weatherby in a .300 or .340 and get the crap beat out of them develop an flinch cause they can�t handle the recoil then turn around and bad mouth the rifle when on along it�s them.

I seriously doubt that is my situation at all.Below are groups fired with my 300ultramag,which is more powerful than either my 257wby or 300wby.

[Linked Image]

I seriously doubt that is my situation at all.Below are groups fired with my 300ultramag,which is more powerful than either my 257wby or 300wby.

[Linked Image]

And I never said it was!!!! So what�s your point?
So what�s your point?

Just responding to your blanket assumption about why people don't like Weatherby rifles.

Posted By: POP Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/23/07

Dober

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I certainly appreciate everyone's input so far. Thanks for the link stubblejumper, that was interesting. My stable is overwhelmingly dominated by Remingtons at this point, but handling the Mark V piqued my curiosity.

I handload for all of my rifles, so no worries there, and basic tasks like floating the barrel wouldn't be a problem either.

Assuming accuracy is addressed, has anyone found any reliability issues?

Posted By: Ken14 Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/23/07
Only concern with the Weatherby product is that in my experience the Vanguards outshoot them hands down, at least the 5 I have do.
Posted By: TopCat Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/23/07
You guys are a tough crowd...

I don't see how a factory rifle that is guaranteed to shoot 1 1/2" with factory hunting ammo would be considered to be below the bar...I really don't see how a rifle that shoots inside 1 1/2" would be any great handicap in the field.

The Mark 5 is primarily a hunting rifle, not a paper puncher, especially considering how thin the barrels are on the Mark 5. Even so, try it with some match bullets and it will shoot tighter groups. The versions with better barrels will shoot much better. My handloads shoot about 5 times tighter than any factory ammo I have used anyway.

The Mark V is a large dimensioned action...larger than it needs to be for most of the rounds it is chambered in. I like the 6 lugger, but the Vanguard is a much better value...
Weatherby even likes them enough to put their name on them.

TC
So what�s your point?

Just responding to your blanket assumption about why people don't like Weatherby rifles.

And I to your blanket assumption why people shouldn't
Posted By: cliff444 Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/23/07
I have owned 3 Mk V's. A 300 Deluxe, which shot an inch at 200 yards, but weighed more than Mama Cass, An 06 Lightweight that shot patterns up to 6 inches, shot that one about 400 times trying to get it good, no dice, and a 708 synthetic that I never shot because I couldn't keep it from jamming, about every 4th time it was cycled. First thing I do when I get a new rifle is run some rounds through the mag, have had several, that would not feed. I made at least a dozen calls to Weatherby, who didn't want it back, said let the warranty shop take care of it. The Gander Mountain in Wausau where I got it wanted nothing to do with it, and they are the warranty place for weatherby. They said I should just live with it. That didn't happen as I took it back there one day about a year after I bought it and the dumass behind the counter bought it back from me for $75 more than I paid for it on closeout. grin Had a problem with an Orion O/U shotgun, too. First it doubled on me several times, then after the smith worked on it, it would only shoot one barrel, and then wouldn't switch. So I had a $1200 H&R. Done with Weatherbys.
The opinion of an African Professional hunter

http://www.african-hunter.com/lessons_learned.htm

That barely was entertaining but certainly not an article of facts. The only negative word he could say about the Weatherby rifle was nothing to do with the rifle at all. It had to do with shooting in hot weather. After 8 shots in a row it would get so hot that the bolt lift got sticky due to high pressure/overheated ammo. A least Weatherby put a bolt handle on that will take a pounding by a 2 pound hammer. More than a few Remington bolt handles have fell off just from the vibration from shooting. If they ever start going off when you release the safety then you need to have the trigger adjusted. You out to see what a Remington is like with not enough sear in the trigger. No need to release the safety. Just cocking one will set it off when you close the bolt handle.

Weatherby never tried to tell anybody they were putting cut rifled Krieger barrels on production rifles. The catalogs and their advertizing clearly state Criterion barrels. The barrels are made specifically for Weatherby by Krieger under the Criterion label so as not to confuse anyone that these were button rifled, hand lapped, premium barrels rather than the publically available Krieger cut rifled barrels. I talked to Krieger about it. It was a joint effort. They are built to the same standards as the finest button rifled barrels in the world are made to and it shows. Krieger could not produce the volume of cut rifled barrels for Weatherby so they decided to do something that was much faster to produce but still would meet what Weatherby was looking for in quality.

You haven't paid attention, if you have a Mark V you need to go and throw it in the trash right now becuase it will not shoot. Also anybody that claims they will has no real knowledge of gun or hunting or anything. I'm so broken hearted that after 15 yrs I just found out my 270 wby is junk and won't shoot. grin
How much is it? The fun of guns is trying them out and not loosing our shirts. If its a good price then try it out. I am not a Weatherby fan by the way but the one 378 that I had was accurate.

My smith/dealer hunts with a Weatherby 338-06 LH because he likes it. He can make anything he wants.

To add that I did a quick search of Gunbroker for some price ideas and they don't have anything firm. Those rifles are not inexpensive however. Someone would have to help with info. on a Weatherby scope also. Not my brand of gun stuff but many like them.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=85697229
And I to your blanket assumption why people shouldn't

I made no such blanket statements.I pointed out my own experiences with mark V rifles,the fact that the Criterion barrels are not real cut rifled Kreiger barrels,and that the Weatherby accuracy guarantee is not as good as some people seem to think it is.

Weatherby never tried to tell anybody they were putting cut rifled Krieger barrels on production rifles. The catalogs and their advertizing clearly state Criterion barrels.

Weatherby made a habit of using the Kreiger name instead of simply calling them Criterion barrels.Why do you suppose that was?I believe that they kept using the Kreiger name to mislead people that didn't know better into believing that the barrels were really the well known Kreiger barrels.Judging by the number of people on this and other forums that have claimed to have mark Vs with Kreiger barrels,the ploy appears to have been successful.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/24/07
Whenever there is a post about Weatherbys you can always rely on Stubblejumper to bad mouth them. Weatherby clearly calls them Krieger-Criterion barrels,and I find it incredulous that myself having owned quite a few MKVs they ALL shot sub MOA and most sub-half MOA, yet his always had accuracy problems. I must add mine have always been MKV Deluxes and one Accumark.

The report on African Hunter was accurate, and it was due to hot weather and Weatherby ammo that I've also experienced some hot issues with but not the rifles. I know I spoke and know the author of the piece, but what SJ leaves out was the abysmal performance of the Remingtons who BTW, offer NO accuracy guarantee on their rifles. You can hate Weatherbys for whatever reason, but saying they are not accurate is bull. jorge
Posted By: dshoe Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/24/07
Fondled a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in 270 Win at one of the local shops earlier today. While I wasn't overly impressed with it, I guess it would do. I sure as hell wouldn't buy one though at the price they want for one! The bolt was sloppy, the metal work was just so-so, and the overall appearance of the rifle didn't strike me as being on par with something that costs nearly $1,700 bucks.
Since I'm going to be "out of service" for the next 2 months due to surgery, I'd be willing to ship my Mk V 257roy Ultralight to any of you Wby proponents who have "never had a bad one" and you can shoot it all you want. Just return it with the load info you used and the target showing the "bughole" group you got with it.

I'm serious, too!
Weatherby clearly calls them Krieger-Criterion barrels

Just as I posted.Weatherby always adds the Kreiger name instead of just calling them Criterion barrels.

yet his always had accuracy problems.

If you read through the entire thread,it is plain to see that I was not the only person who had accuracy issues with the mark V.Or did you simply ignore the posts by Mark Dobrenski and others?
Posted By: mlg Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/24/07
I suspect that in a lot of cases where guys have accuracy problems with Weatherbys its because they can't handle them.
I suspect that in a lot of cases where guys have accuracy problems with Weatherbys its because they can't handle them.

In case you suspect that was my issue,take a look at the 300 ultramag targets that I posted.
Originally Posted by mlg

If you are EXcluding yourself, my offer stands!
I didn't doubt your words and no rifle's prefect, and I did read the entire post, including Mark's who I have a lot of respect for, but to cast ALL Weatherbys in the bad light you always seem to do is not right. At least Weatherby will make the effort to make things right. I've hunted with them all my life and consider them excellent rifles. jorge
You Weatherby haters need to get a clue you act like there have never not been any inaccurate Remington�s, Winchester�s, or savages or any other rifles just them Weatherby�s and if somebody does post on them being inaccurate you put your heads in the sand like it doesn�t happen.

A buddy of mine bought a new 264 Win model 70 worst gun I ever seen nobody can get that turd to shoot looks like he bought a expensive action how knows that might not be any good ether.

Again I have a LH Remington 700 .338 Ultra mag right now that doesn�t shoot well!!!! Probably just my imagination though.
grin
Posted By: cliff444 Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/24/07
Just to put this in perspective, for the same money, would you rather have a Remmy Alaskan or a MK V Deluxe? (It's all right to say neither) I'm thinking I would put $5-600 or more in my pocket and get the Kimber, or an old ti.
The Weatherby bashing is always fun to read. The Mark V action is one of my favorites. I'm partial towards the Jap-made guns. I think one could spend more money and do a lot worse.
Please understand, I love mine! It (or I) just haven't found a load it likes.
You Weatherby haters need to get a clue you act like there have never not been any inaccurate Remington�s, Winchester�s, or savages or any other rifles just them Weatherby�s and if somebody does post on them being inaccurate you put your heads in the sand like it doesn�t happen.

Of course there are inaccurate remingtons,winchesters and savages,but then again you aren't paying the price of a mark V.I don't mind paying good money,but when I pay twice the price,I expect much better accuracy for the extra money.

And for the record,I am not a Weatherby hater,since I don't hate all Weatherby rifles.I do believe that the vanguard offers a very good value for the price.
Posted By: cliff444 Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/24/07

Of course there are inaccurate remingtons,winchesters and savages,but then again you aren't paying the price of a mark V.I don't mind paying good money,but when I pay twice the price,I expect much better accuracy for the extra money.

And for the record,I am not a Weatherby hater,since I don't hate all Weatherby rifles.I do believe that the vanguard offers a very good value for the price.

Can you say Howa? Weatherby takes the Howa 1500, puts a W on the stock, and as is their norm, charges $100 more. grin
[quote] I pay twice the price,I expect much better accuracy for the extra money.

Don't look like there twice as much just about $300 more.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=85853758

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=85817187
Posted By: HiredGun Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/24/07
It is as much a Krieger barrel as a Cadilac is GM. Criterion is the name Kreiger made up for the button rifled barrels that are made exclusivly for certain Weatherby rifles. They don't all get them. From what I can figure from the catalog and talking with Teresa in the service department, only the rifles with aluminum bed blocked stocks get the Criterion barrels made by Krieger just for Weatherby. I believe they are all fluted as well.
You are right Top Cat,

After reading the African Report nothing any of us own are worth hunting with. Kimber didn't even make Honorable Mention. What's up with that? I guess kinda like Remington not being able to offer an accracy guarantee?!

What kind of African PH guides people who have to shoot something 8 times in a row?!

Last but certainly not least.....OBVIOUSLY it is o.k. for everyone to tout their shooting irons on this forum except those who own Weatherby's and like them.
only the rifles with aluminum bed blocked stocks get the Criterion barrels made by Krieger just for Weatherby.

From the Kreiger site.

In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market.

The Criterion barrels are not made by Kreiger.As is so plainly stated on the Kreiger site,Criterion barrels are made by Criterion which is a separate barrel company that happens to be owned by Kreiger.

I suppose that if you drove a VW you would be telling everyone that you drive a Porche? grin
I've got a bunch of Weatherbys,in 224 through 378.They all shoot well under MOA.At least four of them that I can think of off the top of my head average under 0.5 inch.

Oh well,I guess I got the only accurate ones out there-lucky me.

WB.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/24/07
I have had 3 or 4 Wby's that will shoot well under an inch.
My 270Wby will do under 0.5 inch with the 140gr TSX @3300fps.
My 340 will do around the same with 225gr AFrames @3050fps.
Keepers, IMO.
only the rifles with aluminum bed blocked stocks get the Criterion barrels made by Krieger just for Weatherby.

From the Kreiger site.

In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market.

The Criterion barrels are not made by Kreiger.As is so plainly stated on the Kreiger site,Criterion barrels are made by Criterion which is a separate barrel company that happens to be owned by Kreiger.

I suppose that if you drove a VW you would be telling everyone that you drive a Porche? grin

You just quoted from the Krieger site what I read a long time ago and have been trying to tell you and then in your next paragraph contradict what Krieger so plainly explained.

Here it is again plain as day.

In case you are confused the "we" in the first sentence refers to Krieger. Krieger started another company. It's a brand, a sticker, it's a book keeping thing. The parent company is Krieger. Krieger now makes two brands. One is the original Krieger cut rifled barrels and now the Criterion button rifled line for the OEM market, namely Weatherby. Why is this so hard for you to grasp?

Krieger now makes two brands.

Exactly,two separate brands Krieger and Criterion,and two separate products.The same way that Daimler Chrysler own two brands and make two products,Chrysler and Mercedes Benz.So a Criterion barrel is a Krieger barrel in the same way that a Chrysler Sebring is a Mercedes Benz.So why don't we hear many people calling a Sebring a Mercedes?Perhaps because they were a different product even though they had the same parent company.

Checking both the official Weatherby and Remington sites.All rifles in magnum chamberings.

wood and blued rifles

700bdl-$877
mark V deluxe-$2167

Mark V 270% higher price- over 2-1/2 times the price

Entry level synthetic/blue

700sps $604
Mark V synthetic -$1219

Mark V 202% higher price- over twice the price

Accuracy models

700 sendero sf $1279
Mark V accumark $1850

Mark V 145% higher price-almost 1-1/2 times the price

Averaging the three price differences- the Mark V is 205% higher priced-over twice the price.

Checking both the official Weatherby and Remington sites.All rifles in magnum chamberings.

wood and blued rifles

700bdl-$877
mark V deluxe-$2167

700sps $604
Mark V synthetic -$1219

Accuracy models

700 sendero sf $1279
Mark V accumark $1850

Averaging the three price differences- the Mark V is 205% higher priced-over twice the price.

Ok I can see your just stupid!!! I showed you that any body could buy two comparable rifles on gun broker� the Weatherby is about 300 more than the Remington. NOBODY BUYS SUGESTED RETAIL UNLESS THERE JUST STUPID�..
Chrysler and Mercedes are only related by marriage. Krieger started Criterion from scratch. That makes them blood.
Chrysler and Mercedes are only related by marriage. Krieger started Criterion from scratch. That makes them blood.

Both separate companies under one owner.And since Kreiger makes their barrels using an entirely different procedure than Criterion,Chryler and Mercedes may actually have more in common in the way that they are made.
Ok I can see your just stupid!!! I showed you that any body could buy two comparable rifles on gun broker�

You showed a single source,on two particular rifles,available only for a very limited time.Anybody?No not anybody can buy directly from gunbroker.Since I am in Canada,I can't just buy from any American source.And since Gunbroker is an auction,you can't buy any model in any chambering like you can from a regular dealer.

NOBODY BUYS SUGESTED RETAIL UNLESS THERE JUST STUPID�..

True,but there are sales on both brands,and the sale prices are based on retail prices.Therefore the price gap is on average quite consistent.
You�re hopeless!!!! You can buy them for that price day in and day out. Good-bye�. crazy
The report on African Hunter was accurate, and it was due to hot weather and Weatherby ammo that I've also experienced some hot issues with but not the rifles. I know I spoke and know the author of the piece, but what SJ leaves out was the abysmal performance of the Remingtons

I didn't leave anything out.I supplied a link that anyone could read for themselves.The author used the term "least favorite" to describe the Weatherby Mark V did he not.Doesn't least favorite mean that he liked the Weatherby even less than the Remington?
Was the Weatherby ammunition not developed for the Weatherby rifles?Were the two not designed to be used as a combination?So was it a case of ammunition that was too hot,or was it simply that the rifles could not handle the pressure developed by the ammunition without problems?Was the gun going off when the safety was released also the fault of the Ammunition?Doesn't his wording
" the usual Weatherby failing of going off when the safety catch was disengaged" indicate that this is a problem common to the mark V rifles design,rather than an isolated incident limited to a single rifle?
I stand by what I've said. They are a bargain for what they sell for. You will spend well over 1200 to 1450 to have anything comparable built that Weatherby includes in the box.

A premium stock
excellent fit and finish.
Heavy duty super smooth action
Name brand barrel and recoil pad
Effective brake if you want one.
Super fine trigger
Excellent resale value if you take care of it.
Accuracy guarantee
Available in a wide variety of calibers well above and beyond anything Remington chambers.
Available in Left hand

That's all all for now. My troll food bag is empty.
You�re hopeless!!!! You can buy them for that price day in and day out. Good-bye�

So how do all the other dealers stay in business if everyone can buy anything they want at any time for much less money on Gunbroker?
A premium stock
excellent fit and finish.
Heavy duty super smooth action
Name brand barrel and recoil pad
Effective brake if you want one.
Super fine trigger

Reading the post below,it appears that the quality control isn't as good as you would have us believe.

I have owned 3 Mk V's. A 300 Deluxe, which shot an inch at 200 yards, but weighed more than Mama Cass, An 06 Lightweight that shot patterns up to 6 inches, shot that one about 400 times trying to get it good, no dice, and a 708 synthetic that I never shot because I couldn't keep it from jamming, about every 4th time it was cycled. First thing I do when I get a new rifle is run some rounds through the mag, have had several, that would not feed. I made at least a dozen calls to Weatherby, who didn't want it back, said let the warranty shop take care of it. The Gander Mountain in Wausau where I got it wanted nothing to do with it, and they are the warranty place for weatherby. They said I should just live with it. That didn't happen as I took it back there one day about a year after I bought it and the dumass behind the counter bought it back from me for $75 more than I paid for it on closeout. Had a problem with an Orion O/U shotgun, too. First it doubled on me several times, then after the smith worked on it, it would only shoot one barrel, and then wouldn't switch. So I had a $1200 H&R. Done with Weatherbys.

More quality control issues.

Fondled a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in 270 Win at one of the local shops earlier today. While I wasn't overly impressed with it, I guess it would do. I sure as hell wouldn't buy one though at the price they want for one! The bolt was sloppy, the metal work was just so-so, and the overall appearance of the rifle didn't strike me as being on par with something that costs nearly $1,700 bucks.

And one more.

Since I'm going to be "out of service" for the next 2 months due to surgery, I'd be willing to ship my Mk V 257roy Ultralight to any of you Wby proponents who have "never had a bad one" and you can shoot it all you want. Just return it with the load info you used and the target showing the "bughole" group you got with it.

I'm serious, too!
Jeez. The Weatherby safety issue WAS (as in past tense) an issue with some of the Sauer-made Weatherbys and that issue has been resolved since the 70s. As far as the ammo's concerned, Weatherby (actually Norma) does produce hot batches from time to time but it's very, very infrequent. At least Weatherby is the ONLY manufacturer whose ammo actually achieves advertised velocities. Try that with Win or Remington ammo.

The MKV action is arguably the strongest on the market. As to the Weatherbys costing much more than the 700s, well, when you consider the quality of the materials used, and the workmanship, at least to me the price difference is more than worth it.

At least I don't have to worry about glued bolt handles falling off, cheap-assed sheetetal extractors breaking and unsafe fail-on-fire safeties. Just do a Google search for Remington Trigger lawsuits and see how many "hits" you get. Now try the same for he Weatherby or for tht matter any other rifle. Like i said before, if you don't like them that's fine, only don't try and convince me a Remington is better. To be fair, the Weatherby Ultralights are not up to standards of accuracy as the regular MKVs at least not from what I have persinally observed
Posted By: jmt277 Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/24/07
In 92 I paid around 850 US for my Mark V and the comparable BDL WAS 550-600 US.Also you can not compare a SPS 700 to a Mark V synthetic. I would think that the SPS compared to a Vanguard would be more realistic since they are both low end rifles that these two are offering. I have a SPS 300 RUM and like it very much but it is not comparable to a Mark V of any grade. The SPS was supposed to replace the ADL line of rifles. I chose the remmy this time because I simply did not want to spend 1250-1500 for a WBY or a remington. The best price I found on the Accumark 3 yrs ago was 1325 out the door. The best price I have seen lately is 1450-1550ish out the door and the Sendero's running around 1075 to 1250ish. Those prices are from a few friends that sell guns and only charge 10% plus shipping. There are some gun dealers around here that try to sell guns at MSRP but they do not compete well with the dealers who sell at cost plus 10%. Also check out Impactguns website they list WBY's at prices 200-350 more than the remmy's depending on what you are looking for.
Originally Posted by dshoe

The price a particular gun shop asks for a particular firearm in no way reflects the attributes of said firearm. It does, however reflect the idiocy and greed of the dealer. It also shows you what he thinks of his customers. You know, the smart ones he will never see again.

wood and blued rifles

700bdl-$877
mark V deluxe-$2167

700sps $604
Mark V synthetic -$1219

Accuracy models

700 sendero sf $1279
Mark V accumark $1850

You are loading figures to support your harangue. Anybody knows that MSRP's are always ridiculous. If you had any credible input you are swiftly losing it.
Originally Posted by joecool544

wood and blued rifles

700bdl-$877
mark V deluxe-$2167

700sps $604
Mark V synthetic -$1219

Accuracy models

700 sendero sf $1279
Mark V accumark $1850

Ok I can see your just stupid!!! I showed you that any body could buy two comparable rifles on gun broker� the Weatherby is about 300 more than the Remington. NOBODY BUYS SUGESTED RETAIL UNLESS THERE JUST STUPID�..

BRAVO Joe Cool !!! Just the Mark V action raises the bar so far above the 700 I would choose the Wby for the action alone which IS what I did. Let alone the the cheap, no count, not worth a tomato stake barrel it has that shoots under a 1/2" with full tilt loads in every bullet weight.

A guy showed up at our range a while back with his fancy Weatherby MKV 257 Weatherby to check his sights. At that time I was very active in Scheutzen competition. My main rifle was a 38-55 Remington Hepburn. I shot a 250 gr cast bullet that I made over 4759. It was sighted in at 200 yds.

The Magnum guy goes out to 200 yds and I wait for him as he puts his target up near mine.

After he shoots for a while we check our targets and he is all over the 12" bull. Mine are all in the V ring. After he left I cut the center of the target out and kept it.

Much later Big Stick and I got into some argument and we challenged each other to a match. The argument was over the 257 Weatherby. Because of the way challenges go it ended up to be an offhand match at 200 yds, 100 shots, no time limit, any sights and of course I had to use the 38-55. Turned out that he did not have a Weatherby rifle but a Remington chambered for the 257 Weatherby.

Just a little color story this morning about things.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by HiredGun
Excellent resale value if you take care of it.

IMHO, this is the real-world litmus test that speaks volumes.

If Rumpelstiltskin was turning straw on a lathe to make OEM barrels for Weatherby and the barrels proved to be quality..... well, so be it. Criterion's relationship with Krieger is less important than the quality of barrel they provide. So, it's a futile point to make while trying to wheylay Weatherby.

SJ, I'm about to take my belt off!!!!
I would like to point out that price alone does not a fine rifle make. When I sought to build a custom rifle last year I alotted myself a $5000 budget. I was going to choose a reputable gunsmith and have the gun built to my desires. Being from Texas gives me an almost endless choice of great 'smiths, not to exclude any others across the U.S.. I looked at Jarrett, Sisk, Hill Country, KDF, SSK & several others. The two that floated to the top were Jarrett & Sisk.

I had to be honest with myself and ask this question: What is the expectation of the rifle ultimately? Answer: To shoot under 1/2" at desired velocities. I already have a Ruger 77 All Weather that does that so what did I need with a $5000 rifle.

I wanted my go-to gun to be a 7 Wby Mag. Ruger doesn't make those. I bought the Wby Mark V Fibermark from www.budsgunshop.com for $1082 to my door and once I got it in my hands I absolutely hated the stock. I thought I had made a bad purchase until I decided to restock the barreled action and give it a good wringing out. After setting the action into a Remington Classic 20 oz custom composite I was very very pleased. Scoped it with a Swarovski, Talley's & CeraKoted the action and barrel. Load development included Hornady, Speer, Swift, Nosler & North Fork. Only two loads of over 20 shot grouped over 1".

The one true item I came away with after every range session during load development was this, the gun never ceased to amaze me at its ability to digest just about every load I put through it. I ran 160's all the way up to 3184 fps from its 24" barrel which I had cut from 26" before I ever fired it.

When I overlay each group fired throughout all of the load development the aggregate group is just under 2.5" and that accounts for roughly 250 rounds downrange and counting as I continue to go thru every bullet maker and weight that sparks my fancy.

This project settled out at roughly $2300 ready for hunting with more than three custom loads that print 3/8". That's $2700 under budget?

What more would I have gained had I paid Hill Country Rifles, Sisk Rifles or Jarrett Rifles their near $5000 price tag?

I do not denigrate their work. Being a blue collar man I understand that craftsmen are due a just profit for their handmade products. Had I used them I would have still gone with the 7 Wby chambering.

In todays littany of super-sized powder keg burning magnums based on the 404 Jeffery case, my 7 Wby Mag looks more like a short magnum. I like it, I consider myself an accomplished rifleman and don't see me hunting with any other round except my backup round, 280 Remington.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Much later Big Stick and I got into some argument and we challenged each other to a match. The argument was over the 257 Weatherby. Because of the way challenges go it ended up to be an offhand match at 200 yds, 100 shots, no time limit, any sights and of course I had to use the 38-55. Turned out that he did not have a Weatherby rifle but a Remington chambered for the 257 Weatherby.

Just a little color story this morning about things.

[Linked Image]

Tip For The Day: When trying to make a passive aggressive argument for something, it is faux pas to voluntarily evoke images of Big Stick! Especially the ones that appear to show him after a pizza party!! eek grin wink Just Fun'n ya!
Criterion's relationship with Krieger is less important than the quality of barrel they provide.

Exactly,that should be the most important factor.For some reason some individuals feel that using the Krieger name sounds more impressive than a lesser known company name like Criterion.With them it seems to be a status symbol.How often do you hear people bragging that they have a Howa Vanguard?The rifle is a Howa rifle with a Weatherby stamp on it,yet some people take pride in saying that they own a Weatherby.Name is important to some people and I feel that Weatherby used the Krieger name to impress these people.I own a Toyota Corolla myself for around town use and driving to work,but I call it a Toyota,not a Lexus,because it is a Toyota and not a Lexus.
Reloader 28, just think about what you would've had if'n you'd chambered it for the 270 WBY Mag!!! shocked

Maybe next time! smile
This project settled out at roughly $2300 ready for hunting with more than three custom loads that print 3/8". That's $2700 under budget?

What more would I have gained had I paid Hill Country Rifles, Sisk Rifles or Jarrett Rifles their near $5000 price tag?

I feel exactly the same way.My rifles built on lapped and trued 700 actions with pillar bedded Mcmillan stocks,premium barrels,and triggers, added up to a total cost of Around $2500 Canadian.Of course that was when our dollar was worth much less,so the American price would be closer to $1500.In the end I have rifles with the weight and balance that I prefer,that fit me perfectly,and average accuracy with hunting bullets is around 1/2".What more could I ask for?What would I have gained by spending twice as much to have the rifles built by a famous maker other than to have their name stamped on it?I buy what I feel to be the best value for my money,not to impress others with a name.
Criterion's relationship with Krieger is less important than the quality of barrel they provide.

Exactly,that should be the most important factor.For some reason some individuals feel that using the Krieger name sounds more impressive than a lesser known company name like Criterion.With them it seems to be a status symbol.How often do you hear people bragging that they have a Howa Vanguard?The rifle is a Howa rifle with a Weatherby stamp on it,yet some people take pride in saying that they own a Weatherby.Name is important to some people and I feel that Weatherby used the Krieger name to impress these people.I own a Toyota Corolla myself for around town use and driving to work,but I call it a Toyota,not a Lexus,because it is a Toyota and not a Lexus.

O.k., I confess my superbly accurate Wby Mk V has a Criterion barrel. I tend to prefer button rifling which was one of the attractions when I made my decision. I have several Shilen's which are button rifled and they all shoot one hole groups. What more do I need?

I feel that Weatherby used the Krieger name to impress these people.

Oh. I thought Krieger paid Weatherby to include their name in the Weatherby ad. Guess there's more than one way to look at it! smile

Seriously, I'm surprised that you find such marketing techniques out-of-bounds or somehow indicative of trying to shine a turd. To me, it's simply two top-shelf companies combining their products to create someting noteworthy.
Oh. I thought Krieger paid Weatherby to include their name in the Weatherby ad.

Why would Krieger bother paying Weatherby to use their name with the Criterion barrel when the criterion barrels aren't even for sale to the public?The people that would be in the market for a cut rifled Krieger barrel would not likely be reading Weatherby adds anyways.

In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market. These barrels are not directly for sale to the general public.

Seriously, I'm surprised that you find such marketing techniques out-of-bounds

I hate seeing people that don't know any better being misled by large companies.
[quote]I hate seeing people that don't know any better being misled by large companies.

Oh now it�s clear why you�re so pissed at Weatherby you feel you are one of the misled!!!!! That explains a lot. grin grin
Why would Krieger bother paying Weatherby to use their name with the Criterion barrel when the criterion barrels aren't even for sale to the public?The people that would be in the market for a cut rifled Krieger barrel would not likely be reading Weatherby adds anyways.

That was humor indicated by the smiling caricature.

I hate seeing people that don't know any better being misled by large companies.

Give people more credit than that. We're not all Canucks. Again, grin wink
Oh now it�s clear why you�re so pissed at Weatherby you feel you are one of the misled!!!!! That explains a lot.

I have always known the difference between a Krieger barrel and a Criterion barrel. grin

To be totally honest though,I had always respected the Weatherby name,and I was very pleased to be able to buy two mark V rifles for a great price at a store closeout about 20 years ago.I was however very disappointed after using the rifles,because I guess that I expected too much,because the rifles were normally quite expensive.I expected better accuracy than with my 700 remingtons,my low priced howa 1500,and my Ithaca lsa55.I found out that the mark V s were actually no more accurate,and in fact were among my least accurate rifles.At that point ,I realized that there really was nothing special about the Weatherby name,and that a higher price didn't always mean a better product.
Give people more credit than that. We're not all Canucks. Again,

I guess that you give your own countrymen too much credit,since it is usually Americans bragging about owning Krieger barreled Weatherby rifles.
As for us Canucks,we must be doing something right,since our dollar has risen to equal and surpass the American dollar in value.
[quote] My rifles built on lapped and trued 700 actions with pillar bedded Mcmillan stocks,premium barrels,and triggers, added up to a total cost of Around $2500 Canadian.Of course that was when our dollar was worth much less,so the American price would be closer to $1500.What more could I ask for?What would I have gained by spending twice as much to have the rifles built by a famous maker other than to have their name stamped on it?I buy what I feel to be the best value for my money,not to impress others with a name.
So now you are saying that WBY cost 3000.00 which is it 1850,2100,1250? Also looks to me your not happy with a Remington until you have it totally rebuilt or just using a 700 action with custom parts added so if remmy's are so much more accurate from the factory why mess with them. I agree with why pay just as much for a factory gun if you can have one built just for you for the same money or a little more but I'm not going to bash someone for buying a Winchester, Browning , WBY, Remington or any other gun if that what they like.Also I'm not going to call someone stupid because they like a different product than I do. They last time I checked my name was on my bank account not stubblejumper so back off. I guess this is what make life interesting, everybody like something different.
So now you are saying that WBY cost 3000.00

Care to point out where I stated that.If you had actually read(or comprehended)the post that you quoted from,you would realize that my post was in response to a previous post by Reloader 28 about custom guns built by famous gunbuilders such as Jarrett,Sisk etc.Those were the famous makers to which I was referring.
The fact that I quoted from Reloader 28,should have been a hint that I was responding to his post. grin
Give people more credit than that. We're not all Canucks. Again,

I guess that you give your own countrymen too much credit,since it is usually Americans bragging about owning Krieger barreled Weatherby rifles.
As for us Canucks,we must be doing something right,since our dollar has risen to equal and surpass the American dollar in value.

??? crazy Take care.
Originally Posted by joecool544
[quote=stubblejumper]

Oh now it�s clear why you�re so pissed at Weatherby you feel you are one of the misled!!!!! That explains a lot. grin grin

Actually along time ago 30 years being left-handed Weatherby was the only gun company offering all of their calibers to the lefties so you can see why I like them. Sure I could get a Remington or savage at the time I think it was in something like 270 and 30-06 or was it 30-06 or 270 not much to choose from anyways.

Now things are a lot better for us poor lefties but not that much�.

I feel exactly the same way.My rifles built on lapped and trued 700 actions with pillar bedded Mcmillan stocks,premium barrels,and triggers, added up to a total cost of Around $2500 Canadian.Of course that was when our dollar was worth much less,so the American price would be closer to $1500.In the end I have rifles with the weight and balance that I prefer,that fit me perfectly,and average accuracy with hunting bullets is around 1/2".What more could I ask for?What would I have gained by spending twice as much to have the rifles built by a famous maker other than to have their name stamped on it?I buy what I feel to be the best value for my money,not to impress others with a name.
I guess I assumed your were including WBY in that to since this is a thread on Weatherby guns. Anyway it appears to me that you are just another ahole that gets pissed off when everyone else does not agree with you. The guy that started this thread was asking for some adive on a gun and when others gave good experiences with these guns you had to go out of your way to prove that we were wrong. If you had a bad experience with a product then state that and stop trying to make everyone else go along. I agree that some people buy things to be in the click but not everyone does that and to assume that everyone does is flat out wrong.
Anyway it appears to me that you are just another ahole that gets pissed off when everyone else does not agree with you.

And you are someone that get's upset because he misreads a post,makes an incorrect assumption, and makes himself look even more foolish by posting a silly response because of that incorrect assumption.
I guess you are right as always. Ye knower of all things. Peace grin
I guess you are right as always. Ye knower of all things.

So you make an incorrect assumption,make yourself look foolish,and respond by changing the subject in an attempt to take the attention off of your mistake. smirk
I guess you are right as always. Ye knower of all things.

So you make an incorrect assumption,make yourself look foolish,and respond by changing the subject in an attempt to take the attention off of your mistake. smirk
I guess your right again, you're on a roll. 2 for 2
I guess your right again, you're on a roll. 2 for 2

With you it's not difficult. grin
I must be hard being right all the time. grin
Well gents this certainly turned into an interesting discussion. As in all decisions, there are positive and negatives to be considered. I thank you all for presenting both sides.

I'm off to roll some loads for the new Model 7, whilst I mull over your offerings.

Thanks,
Aaron
I must be hard being right all the time.

So now you say that you are right all the time. grin
Will you two a-holes take it somewhere else, PLEASE!

Your tit-for-tat is getting old.
Your tit-for-tat is getting old.

Yes it has become boring,so I will take my leave from this thread.However,I did notice that nobody has taken you up on your offer.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/25/07
Buy and shoot what you like, WHATEVER that might be, Me I love my Winchester 1895 405 WCF and my Browning BLR stainless 270 WSM and lST mY Wby Mark V stainless 270 WBY. I would not buy any Remington with my own money ,But I would take one if you gave it to me, I would trade it for a Weatherby.
Later AMRA
My two cents: I have owned one Mark V and two Vanguards. The Vanguards were great rifles. My dad still has the 30-06 and it is probably the most consistent shooter I have ever seen. I had a 25-06 Vanguard and it was sweet too. The Mark V I had was a 7mm Weatherby and for some reason I put a Weatherby scope on it. The bolt on the Mark V was incredibly crude; it was so rough it actually sounded like it had sand in it. I have picked up several Mark V's since then and several have sounded that way. Additionally, the bolt would scar the top round in the magazine from top to bottom whenever a round was shot and ejected. The rifle would shoot about 1.5 inches, but that is as good as it got. The Weatherby scope was probably one of the worst scopes I have ever owned. I don't think Weatherby ever actually manufactured scopes so I don't know who really made it. I don't know why I strayed from my beloved Leupold on that purchase, but I haven't since.

If I was going to put my money into a Weatherby, it would be a really nice German made Mark V. I saw a couple of nice ones on Gunbroker.com just a day or so ago. In my mind, the German models were very well made and I have worked the bolt on some that were as smooth as silk.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.
Posted By: TopCat Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/25/07
My WEST German Mark 5 is hand fitted...as is visible from the stoning marks on the bolt body to the hydraulic feel in which it glides into lockup...it was made to be right before it left WEST Germany.

It feels different than any other action I have worked. For such a massive action...it is quick, and moves that big Weatherby case a lot faster and smoother than my VS will a 308.

I think the factory target was about 1 1/2". At the time, that was pretty spectacular. My handloads cut that down a bit. I don't think it is capable of 1/2" with that slender barrel that is hammer forged...I believe, but it never shot larger than a 1 1/2" group with any bullet/powder combination I put down the barrel.

Accuracy has never been an issue with that rifle, as I have never missed a shot since I got it on target over 40 years ago.

I never thought that tiny benchrest groups were any real advantage to a big game rifle anyway, considering that all that needed to be done was to put one round into a 12" target.

Mostly, with the .300 Weatherby, one round is all you'll get to shoot, because one round is all it takes.

TC
Posted By: shootem Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/28/07
ROTFLMAO laugh
Posted By: shootem Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/28/07
You're talking about the Wby Mk V Lightweight and what I have is a Mk V Magnum; specifically a Euromark (Japanese) made in the 1980's in .270 WM with a 24" barrel. It will indeed shoot better than the 1 1/2" guarantee. With Hornady 150's and RL 22 it has done 3 shot groups at 200 yds of around 3/4". Sure the skinny barrel gets hot quick and when it was new the barrel channel had to be opened up a bit to cure irregular barrel contact. Trigger is very nice and the Weatherby signature high comb stock is actually very comfortable. Bolt locking safety is simple and user friendly and the 60 degree bolt lift is pretty cool too. All in all it's a Weatherby. It is what it is. Every Rifle Loony needs at least one.
Posted By: cliff444 Re: Weatherby Mark V Question - 11/28/07
Originally Posted by shootem
It is what it is. Every Rifle Loony needs at least one.

© 24hourcampfire