-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh now it�s clear why you�re so pissed at Weatherby you feel you are one of the misled!!!!! That explains a lot.

I have always known the difference between a Krieger barrel and a Criterion barrel. grin

To be totally honest though,I had always respected the Weatherby name,and I was very pleased to be able to buy two mark V rifles for a great price at a store closeout about 20 years ago.I was however very disappointed after using the rifles,because I guess that I expected too much,because the rifles were normally quite expensive.I expected better accuracy than with my 700 remingtons,my low priced howa 1500,and my Ithaca lsa55.I found out that the mark V s were actually no more accurate,and in fact were among my least accurate rifles.At that point ,I realized that there really was nothing special about the Weatherby name,and that a higher price didn't always mean a better product.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give people more credit than that. We're not all Canucks. Again,

I guess that you give your own countrymen too much credit,since it is usually Americans bragging about owning Krieger barreled Weatherby rifles.
As for us Canucks,we must be doing something right,since our dollar has risen to equal and surpass the American dollar in value.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
[quote] My rifles built on lapped and trued 700 actions with pillar bedded Mcmillan stocks,premium barrels,and triggers, added up to a total cost of Around $2500 Canadian.Of course that was when our dollar was worth much less,so the American price would be closer to $1500.What more could I ask for?What would I have gained by spending twice as much to have the rifles built by a famous maker other than to have their name stamped on it?I buy what I feel to be the best value for my money,not to impress others with a name.
So now you are saying that WBY cost 3000.00 which is it 1850,2100,1250? Also looks to me your not happy with a Remington until you have it totally rebuilt or just using a 700 action with custom parts added so if remmy's are so much more accurate from the factory why mess with them. I agree with why pay just as much for a factory gun if you can have one built just for you for the same money or a little more but I'm not going to bash someone for buying a Winchester, Browning , WBY, Remington or any other gun if that what they like.Also I'm not going to call someone stupid because they like a different product than I do. They last time I checked my name was on my bank account not stubblejumper so back off. I guess this is what make life interesting, everybody like something different.

magnums the only way to shoot
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So now you are saying that WBY cost 3000.00

Care to point out where I stated that.If you had actually read(or comprehended)the post that you quoted from,you would realize that my post was in response to a previous post by Reloader 28 about custom guns built by famous gunbuilders such as Jarrett,Sisk etc.Those were the famous makers to which I was referring.
The fact that I quoted from Reloader 28,should have been a hint that I was responding to his post. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give people more credit than that. We're not all Canucks. Again,

I guess that you give your own countrymen too much credit,since it is usually Americans bragging about owning Krieger barreled Weatherby rifles.
As for us Canucks,we must be doing something right,since our dollar has risen to equal and surpass the American dollar in value.

??? crazy Take care.

WAR EAGLE!

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by joecool544
[quote=stubblejumper]
I hate seeing people that don't know any better being misled by large companies.

Oh now it�s clear why you�re so pissed at Weatherby you feel you are one of the misled!!!!! That explains a lot. grin grin

Actually along time ago 30 years being left-handed Weatherby was the only gun company offering all of their calibers to the lefties so you can see why I like them. Sure I could get a Remington or savage at the time I think it was in something like 270 and 30-06 or was it 30-06 or 270 not much to choose from anyways.

Now things are a lot better for us poor lefties but not that much�.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
This project settled out at roughly $2300 ready for hunting with more than three custom loads that print 3/8". That's $2700 under budget?

What more would I have gained had I paid Hill Country Rifles, Sisk Rifles or Jarrett Rifles their near $5000 price tag?

I feel exactly the same way.My rifles built on lapped and trued 700 actions with pillar bedded Mcmillan stocks,premium barrels,and triggers, added up to a total cost of Around $2500 Canadian.Of course that was when our dollar was worth much less,so the American price would be closer to $1500.In the end I have rifles with the weight and balance that I prefer,that fit me perfectly,and average accuracy with hunting bullets is around 1/2".What more could I ask for?What would I have gained by spending twice as much to have the rifles built by a famous maker other than to have their name stamped on it?I buy what I feel to be the best value for my money,not to impress others with a name.
I guess I assumed your were including WBY in that to since this is a thread on Weatherby guns. Anyway it appears to me that you are just another ahole that gets pissed off when everyone else does not agree with you. The guy that started this thread was asking for some adive on a gun and when others gave good experiences with these guns you had to go out of your way to prove that we were wrong. If you had a bad experience with a product then state that and stop trying to make everyone else go along. I agree that some people buy things to be in the click but not everyone does that and to assume that everyone does is flat out wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyway it appears to me that you are just another ahole that gets pissed off when everyone else does not agree with you.

And you are someone that get's upset because he misreads a post,makes an incorrect assumption, and makes himself look even more foolish by posting a silly response because of that incorrect assumption.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I guess you are right as always. Ye knower of all things. Peace grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess you are right as always. Ye knower of all things.

So you make an incorrect assumption,make yourself look foolish,and respond by changing the subject in an attempt to take the attention off of your mistake. smirk

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I guess you are right as always. Ye knower of all things.

So you make an incorrect assumption,make yourself look foolish,and respond by changing the subject in an attempt to take the attention off of your mistake. smirk
I guess your right again, you're on a roll. 2 for 2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess your right again, you're on a roll. 2 for 2

With you it's not difficult. grin

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I must be hard being right all the time. grin

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Well gents this certainly turned into an interesting discussion. As in all decisions, there are positive and negatives to be considered. I thank you all for presenting both sides.

I'm off to roll some loads for the new Model 7, whilst I mull over your offerings.

Thanks,
Aaron

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I must be hard being right all the time.

So now you say that you are right all the time. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will you two a-holes take it somewhere else, PLEASE!

Your tit-for-tat is getting old.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your tit-for-tat is getting old.

Yes it has become boring,so I will take my leave from this thread.However,I did notice that nobody has taken you up on your offer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy and shoot what you like, WHATEVER that might be, Me I love my Winchester 1895 405 WCF and my Browning BLR stainless 270 WSM and lST mY Wby Mark V stainless 270 WBY. I would not buy any Remington with my own money ,But I would take one if you gave it to me, I would trade it for a Weatherby.
Later AMRA

Molan Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My two cents: I have owned one Mark V and two Vanguards. The Vanguards were great rifles. My dad still has the 30-06 and it is probably the most consistent shooter I have ever seen. I had a 25-06 Vanguard and it was sweet too. The Mark V I had was a 7mm Weatherby and for some reason I put a Weatherby scope on it. The bolt on the Mark V was incredibly crude; it was so rough it actually sounded like it had sand in it. I have picked up several Mark V's since then and several have sounded that way. Additionally, the bolt would scar the top round in the magazine from top to bottom whenever a round was shot and ejected. The rifle would shoot about 1.5 inches, but that is as good as it got. The Weatherby scope was probably one of the worst scopes I have ever owned. I don't think Weatherby ever actually manufactured scopes so I don't know who really made it. I don't know why I strayed from my beloved Leupold on that purchase, but I haven't since.

If I was going to put my money into a Weatherby, it would be a really nice German made Mark V. I saw a couple of nice ones on Gunbroker.com just a day or so ago. In my mind, the German models were very well made and I have worked the bolt on some that were as smooth as silk.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My WEST German Mark 5 is hand fitted...as is visible from the stoning marks on the bolt body to the hydraulic feel in which it glides into lockup...it was made to be right before it left WEST Germany.

It feels different than any other action I have worked. For such a massive action...it is quick, and moves that big Weatherby case a lot faster and smoother than my VS will a 308.

I think the factory target was about 1 1/2". At the time, that was pretty spectacular. My handloads cut that down a bit. I don't think it is capable of 1/2" with that slender barrel that is hammer forged...I believe, but it never shot larger than a 1 1/2" group with any bullet/powder combination I put down the barrel.

Accuracy has never been an issue with that rifle, as I have never missed a shot since I got it on target over 40 years ago.

I never thought that tiny benchrest groups were any real advantage to a big game rifle anyway, considering that all that needed to be done was to put one round into a 12" target.

Mostly, with the .300 Weatherby, one round is all you'll get to shoot, because one round is all it takes.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (1badf350, 1234, 30incher, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 1,766 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.