Home
Posted By: STA Model 70, Super Grade - 03/15/08
What do u guys think about the new Winchester M70? I am thinking about the 300Win Super Grade maybe nice to have.
link: http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=100&cat=001C
Originally Posted by STA
What do u guys think about the new Winchester M70? I am thinking about the 300Win Super Grade maybe nice to have.
link: http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=100&cat=001C
For that money, you can get a really nice pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .30-06.
Posted By: STA Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
True I looked at the price that it will be sold for and it's $935.00. Maybe the Kimber Classic in 300Win would be a better choice...
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
When they make it in a 338 I will be very, very tempted.
Posted By: Whip Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
8 lbs w/o the fixins? It looks nice, to be sure, but a rifle that gets carried by me has to weigh less. Now the Kimber...somewhere around 7 bare nekked IIRC...that's what I'd do.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
Now if you get a stainless....

Pre-64's.. I don't think they were stainless.

Pluse the triggers on the new 70's might be better.

Spot
KIMBER.... Huh.

Thought they were having problems with barrel quality.
I would realy like to have the new M70 in 375 H&H... :GRIN:

I'd love it if I could get one in 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 or x66.

Spot
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
That rifle in 300 WM weighs 8.25 lbs sans scope or mounts and has a 26" barrel. Its way too heavy and long for me unless its just a stand gun or safe queen.

We need to see the 'new' M70 first. If its made really well then perhaps.

I don't want the new trigger. I want the old trigger.

The 'new' Featherweight in 300 WSM weighs 7 lbs and has a 24" barrel and its a better cartridge than the old 300 WM.
I already have a Featherweight in 270 WSM & a Montana in 325 WSM.. Thinken the 300Win Mag will fill the GAP.. :GRIN:
Posted By: GeoW Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
Originally Posted by STA

Only time will tell. I don't see the $$$ difference between the new 70 and alot of other darn fine rifles on the market.

GeoW
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
I'd wait for a spell first.

New place New machines New workforce....Let them build a few first.

But do like the Super Grade and am really fond of the 300 Win.Just give them sometime is what I say...
What gap!
Originally Posted by STA
I already have a Featherweight in 270 WSM & a Montana in 325 WSM.. Thinken the 300Win Mag will fill the GAP.. :GRIN:

You just like M70's (like me).

Lets wait and see what they make. If they are really nice then it will be the good old days again. It could happen.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
What gap!

The gap in I had a 300Win but sold the barrel and miss not having one in my safe anymore! frown
Don, I do like the M70... :GRIN:
Originally Posted by 7 STW
I'd wait for a spell first.

New place New machines New workforce....Let them build a few first.

But do like the Super Grade and am really fond of the 300 Win.Just give them sometime is what I say...

Will give them a good look first before I buy. Just hate to wate to long...
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
Against my better judgement, I intend to buy the first M70 Super Grade in .300 Win. Mag. that I see. Hope the quality is there....

RS
Here are some of the old ones that I have. Yes the barrels are long. blush

[Linked Image]

The one on the left is a .375 H&H and on the right a .300 H&H.
Very nice! I could hunt any thing in the US & Africa with that combo and be happy to do so...
Posted By: GeoW Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
Those two would make great yardsticks for the new ones. Compare side by side, materiels, worksmanship, etc.... then decide.
BTW - you can take a super grade that weights 8lbs to start with and put it in a McMillan edge stock and end up with a really, really nice rifle.

I DID!!!!

Spot
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
Don't get me started on these again(grin). I want one as well, but I'm a 338 Win Mag fan.

I think I'm going to wait for the 338WM. If Winchester are silly enough not to chamber them next year, I'm sure they'll be smart enough to at least add the 375 H&H.

Posted By: RAS Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
I have three of the last Super Grades (series III). 7mm, 300 and 300WSM (RMEF). They all have beautiful wood and are in mint shape. Kind of like knowning that they came from the old place..
Posted By: JungleJim Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
Not made at a Winchester plant, should it be a called Winchester Model 70? Should be called what it is a FN m70. Big bucks for a wanna be Winchester m70.
Posted By: GilaJorge Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
FN has shot themselves in the foot using the lousy Browning trigger instead of the original Winchester trigger on the new Model 70s...they still have the trigger but put it on their sniper rifle only...that makes the USRAC rifles a bargain...and boosts their prices....if I could get a Classic Super Grade
as you indicated originally, I would jump for it...Otherwise a Kimber Super for 1800 would be my choice...
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
I handled one of them yesterday and thought they were nicely finished. To me the discouragement is the weight. By the time a scope and mounts are added the weight is too much (for me anyway).
I have one of the early '90s Custom Super Grades. The weight of it is on the heavy side also. After taking one moose with it I have never hunted it again. It seems too pretty to use. Now it gets used for target practice.
It seems as if they are chambering for the most popular calibers first. If those sell well I'm sure the caliber selection will be expanded.
When the price is compared to what is being asked for many other rifles now the price doesn't seem that much out of line especially when you consider the discounting that will likely take place at the retail level.\
Just my .02
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
Anyway you slice it, It is nice to see the M70 back in production again, and in America.

By the way, where do you think the FN police/tactical rifles are made? Same place. They shoot lights out, too.....

I've a circa 2000 Supergrade 300Win mag NIB I may sell.....
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF006&gid=FNG005
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
Got a super grade on the way. Can't wait to get my mitts on it.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
I agree with Savage. I am not even going to bother with a new one. They can name it what they want; but without the original trigger, it is NOT a M70. Just another "cost-saving" bunch of BS.

I wish they'd taken a pre 64 to Miroku in Japan,and turned those guys loose like they did in the 80's with the M71's and M12's. THOSE are faithful reproductions of the old guns. Americans have been screwing up the M70 since 1964,and I seriously doubt these things are going to be any different.They just will never get it straight.

I'd spend the money on an action and build, or get a pre 64 and leave the new Super Grade in the store to look at.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Pluse the triggers on the new 70's might be better.

The operative word there is 'might'... IMHO, that's not the word that's going to apply.. They had the best, anything after that's going to be second best..
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Model 70, Super Grade - 03/16/08
And they are heavier so you walk slower.....grin.

I don't think I would buy a Super Grade until they come in Stainless again.
I'd want a 300 WM in a FWT. If I was getting a supergrade there is no question mine would have to be a 338 WM.

© 24hourcampfire