Home
Posted By: FVA Tell me about the Remington 7600 - 08/15/08
I'm interested in one of these as a practical, fast shooting woods rifle that can still reach out there a ways but have zero experience with one.
Major concerns would be reasonable accuracy, durability, and reliability as far as feeding/ejection goes.
Long and short action or one action length?
Fans and haters opinions welcome. Thinking along the lines of a 308 or 270.
Have two:

30.06 and 35 Whelen. Both are excellent in terms of accuracy, reliability and feeding. Both sport 1.5x5 Leupolds. And, I know this'll really stick in some knickers, but I put a tip-off mount on the Whelen and it's the perfect heavy timber sort of thing having never lost its zero.

Big supporter of the 7600 here - and I'm a bolt action guy. smile
I'd agree with SKane. No real complaints with mine. I've owned them in 308, 270, and 30-06 (carbine). Just have the 308 now. One action length for all. Up until this year I have used open sights only. If you are used to a pump shotgun the transition is easy. Reliable, durable, and accurate.

It doesn't replace my bolt but it is a nice substitute at times.

I have the older version, a Mdl. 760, in .308 and it's a great gun. Accurate and reliable. They are very popular here in PA. We're known as the pump gun capital of the US. Probably, because semi-auto rifles are not legal for hunting in this state.

As previously mentioned, they are all one action length.
The best damn gun made in my opinion. I have had probably 7-8 over the years. Accurate as hell, handy as hell, and can withstand inclimate elements well.

I'd put 7600 up against any factory bolt gun. I've said that before on here. They are a great gun.

They are all one action lenght so a .308 or .243 won't change the bolt throw if thats what you're asking. For some reason the .308 I have kicks harder than any of the others I've shot. I'm sure the Whelen has a little more snap to it.

Never had a problem with ejcetion on any of them. Feeding too. In my experience with them, they seem to like many different types of bullets too. I have only average luck with the Nosler Partitions though. OTOH my father in law has great accuracy with 180gr NP's in his 7600.

One in a .270 would be great. This is the only rifle in our camp in WI. Everyone uses a 7600 or 760 of some flavor or another.
Originally Posted by tzone
The best damn gun made in my opinion. I have had probably 7-8 over the years. Accurate as hell, handy as hell, and can withstand inclimate elements well.

I'd put 7600 up against any factory bolt gun. I've said that before on here. They are a great gun.
My only beef with them are the magazines which can cause issues from time to time and replacing one's a spendy proposition...

Never had a problem with ejcetion on any of them. Feeding too. In my experience with them, they seem to like many different types of bullets too. I have only average luck with the Nosler Partitions though. OTOH my father in law has great accuracy with 180gr NP's in his 7600.
As long as you keep the chamber clean, they should not give you any grief..

This is the only rifle in our camp in WI. Everyone uses a 7600 or 760 of some flavor or another.
WHAT? NO 742s??? You CAN'T be a true TAXHELLWISCONSINITE..... laugh laugh laugh
Not sounding too bad. Action length being a non issue I would most likely go with a 270.
Redneck. What kind of issues can the magazine cause?
Are the triggers livable or able to be tweaked?
Originally Posted by Redneck
You CAN'T be a true TAXHELLWISCONSINITE..... laugh laugh laugh

haaa. You got me. I'm not. If it's any consolation though, I am the only one in camp without see through scope mounts.

742's I thought that was a MN thing. Funny say that I almost bought a 6mm 742 eariler this summer.
If you like pumps go for it.

My Dad has owned a 760 in 270 Win. since the 60's and never had a problem with it. I have done a bunch of load work with it, and I am impressed with the accuracy. He purchased it because he shoots left handed (left eye dominant).

I took a 7600 and had it rebored/chambered to 338-06 and have zero complaints with. Same statement as above applies to this rifle in the accuracy dept.

I shoot bolt actions almost exclusively, but when I pick up the pump, it is second nature since I grew up using pump shotguns.

As far as SA/LA, I would go with the LA. Even though most people think of these pumps as short distance "woods" guns, I have seen my dad consistently make 250-400 yards shots. He currently has 4x12 Leupold on it. But we hunt in western SD where the distances can stretch.

But handle both and go with what feels best best to you and personal preference.
I've been around and hunted with guys that use them for about 40 plus years. They have a well deserved rep for being reliable, more so than the 740 series when neglected or in bad weather. They are plenty accurate enough. That's 1.5-2.5 inches at 100 yds. with factory ammo.
The only "durability issue" has been with the magazines. Like all such designs, if you beat them up around the feed lips, they can malfunction.
They do have a few draw backs. I don't like their cross bolt safety as I prefer a safety that locks/disconnects the firing pin. I've never seen one with a "breaking glass rod" trigger. All of them have some creep.
You can live with all of this. A great trigger is very helpful for long, or tricky close shots, but many, including me, have learned you can get by with a 760 quality trigger.
If you hand load, you can't use really hot ammo, and you may need small base dies. To me, this is less of an issue than the above.
The only other point I might make is that, with a scope, they are a little heavy for my taste.
For the guy that has to take running shots, I'd say their fast second shot is a real asset. Many times, in spite of high quality scopes and trying to make only shots that are in the clear, I've had my bullets hit twigs and other cover. If that happens, the bullet flys off course, starts to expand and loose some of it's energy, or, worst of all, it starts tumbling. If any of this happens, you may well have a wounded buck. Therefore, the rule is keep shooting as long as you can until he's down. I can't make a bolt gun shoot nearly as fast as one of these.
I recently looked at a new 750. Really liked the stock finish. Might have to look at the latest 760/7600's.
I have a 30 year old M760 (yeah I know, not a 7600) that feeds like a hungry hippo and shoots very well. I've shot plenty of sub inch groups (3 shots at 100 yards) with handloads. I love hunting with that gun!
I don't have a 760 or a 7600, but I still hunt with the earlier Remington 141 pump in .35 Remington. In general, pumps will give you the same or better accuracy that you would get with the semi-auto rifles. If you use a pump shotgun, transitioning between the two is simple. Like the other poster said, they are big in PA. Amish Machineguns is what a few of my relatives back there call them. And if you look around on gunbroker, you will probably be able to track down some of the more unusual variations through some of the dealers back there. Limited runs of things like .300 Savage, .35 Remington, .35 Whelen with blonde wood, that kind of stuff. But pretty much everybody I know back there that uses one has a .30-06. Something as common as .270 should be fairly easy for you to find.

-Mb
I had a 760 30-06 and now have a 7600 7mm-08. Both are great rifles. There's no difference in receiver length between cartridges. The magazine determines the OAL of the cartridge. The .243/.308 magazines a spacer in the front and rear of the mag..
I've owned a 760 pump in 30-06 for the last 32 years and have probably killed upwards of 50 deer with it.Never had any issues and it has never let me down.I currently own 34 other guns in the safe and tell myself every yeaqr i'll take something else the first day.But when that Monday rolls around,the old 760 with a 3x9 redfield lo-pro somehow end up in the tree with me.Killed a dandy 8 point this past year with it.As far as i'm concerned,you can't go wrong with one for the money you need to put out.
P.S. two of my three sons hunt with a 7600 and the .280 caliber is a killin machine.
Currently I own a 760 Carbine in .308 and a 7600 in 30/06.

In the past I've owned ......

35Rem
358Win (35Rem rechambered)
270Win
.308 (2)
35Whelen (3)

They are fast, dependable, great handling, practical, & accurate. Sometimes the mag will give you feeding problems when worn, but it is an easy fix.
Originally Posted by Simian_Younger
Like the other poster said, they are big in PA. Amish Machineguns is what a few of my relatives back there call them.

I like it, but here in Canada we have Mennonites, so I guess "Mennonite Machinegun" would be in order. grin
I am down to one 7600 now. It is a 308 Win that has been cut down to 18.5 " bbl its topped with a Leupold 2-7x33. I also had the trigger done by Accuracy Systems Inc.

These guns are fast, accurate, and just plain fun. I hunt in the swamps and very thick cover and the 7600's absolutely shine in that environment. They will also carry the mail for the long shots too.

I love the 760/7600. It is truly a classic. you will not regret getting one. Good shooting and hunting!

Colin
Hey Paul,

I would love to have a 7600 in 35 Whelen. If you ever hear of anyone around Saint John that wants to sell one let me know. We will be Quispamsis'ers as of Sept. 5.

Colin
Originally Posted by Colin_Matchett
I also had the trigger done by Accuracy Systems Inc.

What's the deal on the trigger job? Here in Canada?

Hey Paul,

I would love to have a 7600 in 35 Whelen. If you ever hear of anyone around Saint John that wants to sell one let me know. We will be Quispamsis'ers as of Sept. 5.

I'll keep my ears open, but there aren't that many FS these days. Gimme a shout when you get settled. We'll hit Tims for a brew.
I have two, a 7600 in .280 that I've had since a little before 1990, and an older 760 in .30-06 that I recently acquired that used to belong to my brother. The barrels tend to be free-floating and my .280 is boringly accurate with Hornady 139 BTSP. The detachable box magazines are very convenient. The actions cycle smoothly and quickly. I shoot lefty, so I had to get a left-handed safety put in them. Since there is just one action length, you might as well get a .270 or .30-06 and make the most of it. My .280 wears a Leupold Vari-X II in 3x9. Accurate, quick-shooting if need be, good reach, available in substantial calibers...what's not to like?

There is a 25 06 on GB that interests me. Gonna wait a while as I'm weighing the 7600's merits verses say a Savage 99 /300 Savage and 308 Marlin.
I have 4 7600's. I have 2 in 257 Roberts, a 35 Whelen, and a 35 Remington carbine. I have said it before; the 35 Remington has become my favorite rifle. I sold most of my other rifles and kept the pumps. I now shoot 870's and 7600's. It works out well to have that similarity between firearms.

FVA, if you want a 300 Savage, get one of the 7600's that Grices made up. This is going to be my next purchase.
I'm not so much looking for a 300 Savage as a easy/fast handling "in the thick stuff rifle" that can still reach out there 300+ yards in a pinch. A 6x42 Luepold with turrets is going to go on whatever I end up with.
I like levers but can't help think the 7600 might be a better animal.
I have one in 308. It shoots fusion 180's into one hole.
The 308 Marlins are getting good reviews, however...Leverevolution soft-tipped pointy bullets are not available for handloading, so if you handload you are gonna be stuck with flat points or roundnoses in that tubular magazine. The 99 Savage is a good rifle, and I've lusted after one myself at various times. Two points...1) you don't find 300 Savage ammo at every store you go into looking for ammo, and 2) make sure that the stock has no cracks, esp. in the tang area, as they are prone to it. A 99 in 308 might be a better idea than a 300 Savage. The 7600's have been made in various atypical chamberings as specialty runs, so there's always the chance of finding something unusual on Gunbroker or somewhere. A 7600 in .280 or 35 Whelen would be dandy. The 35 Remington is a good cartridge, in some cases being 'the little engine that could', as it is disproportionately effective for it's size and published ballistics. The only drawback is somewhat limited range, more similar to a .30-30. The advantage to it in a pump is the use of pointy bullets, with their attendant improved ballistic co-efficient helping the trajectory some. The truth remains, well, the truth...a 7600 in 270 or 30-06 or 280 or even 35 Whelen is pretty much a do anything/everything, although a 35 Whelen might be a tad heavy for varmint applications. smile

If a easy/fast handling "in the thick stuff rifle" is your objective, then I would seriously look at a 7600 Carbine. And if your hunting is going to be primarily limited to the thick stuff, then I personally would tote my Marlin 444P (fast, powerful, handy) loaded with Hornady 265 Flat Points, and knock the ever-loving crap out of whatever I pulled the trigger on. cool

Just saw this on Gunbroker. It would be perfect for your needs..
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=107514512
Pretty hard to beat the 30-06 Carbine or the 308 Patrol Rifle. There are one or two guys on another board I visit that have the Patrol rifles and they LOVE!! them. IIRC, one of the guys took a Weaver mount and chopped it a bit, added a few holes to the top of the reciver and now uses the peep sight as back-up and has a scope mounted as well. The areas we hunt are fairly thick and the carbine of mine carries real nice. My catridge choice limits my shots, but a 308 or 30-06 would do real well in just about any instance.
Been thinking about buying a 7600 myself. For people that have owned, shot, or handled them......do you think the regular .270 with 22" barrel would feel much different that the 30/06 carbine? I'm a fairly new hunter and want to know if there would be a lot more kick with the carbine and if there's much difference in handling in the feild between the longer and shorter barrel. I hunt Maine/NB as well.
Originally Posted by SKane
Have two: 30.06 and 35 Whelen. Both are excellent in terms of accuracy, reliability and feeding. Both sport 1.5x5 Leupolds. And, I know this'll really stick in some knickers, but I put a tip-off mount on the Whelen and it's the perfect heavy timber sort of thing having never lost its zero.

Big supporter of the 7600 here - and I'm a bolt action guy. smile

I don't like lever guns, but 7600's are faster anyway. The 1.5X5X leupy is a helluva good choice for a fast-handling pump-rifle (or slug-shotgun). Magnifcation and field-of-view are excellent, along with the brand-name!

7600's and 7400's have a reputation for accuracy as good as some bolt-guns. Durability? Not bad, but how durable do you need? Don't know if I'd want one for a combat or dangerous game piece, but the .308 I had was solid and not-to-complicated of an action-rifle-hunting package design. I bought my gun to chop the barrel and make a truck-gun, but quashed the project when I couldn't find any reliable 10-rd mags. Was going to put a folding stock on it after cutting to 18inches. For a SHTF/walk-me-home weapon, I'd have liked it. But wanted more than 4rd mags. Decided to go with a modified Ishamore S.M.L.E.
elelbean, the carbines are LOUD. I've never found my 760 or 7600 rifles a problem in brush. The one carbine I shot had a heavier barrel so it wasn't lighter than a rifle. I wouldn't want a rifle with less than a 20" barrel. The carbine barrels are 18.5".
I don't know how they would handle with a 20" barrel, but I like the way my 7600 carbine (35 Rem.) handles better than the full length ones I've played with. The noise factor doesn't really matter to me as I wear hearing protection at the range and have never noticed the blast in the woods smile

For solo tracking days, my carbine has become one of my 2 "go-to" rifles. That may change as I play with my Little Sky more, but I don't think so. Odds are my old Model 100 is going to see less use this year.

George
Originally Posted by FVA
Not sounding too bad. Action length being a non issue I would most likely go with a 270.
Redneck. What kind of issues can the magazine cause?
Magazines for these (also the 742s/7400s etc.), are a crapshoot.. Some work just fine, others are absolute turds. Many can be adjusted to feed correctly but at what cost?? Last ones I saw new were nearly $25.00 ea..
Are the triggers livable or able to be tweaked?
It's the same trigger group as in the M1100s/11-87s/7400/742s etc.. They can be worked on to some degree but as-is from the factory, are non-adjustable compared to the 700s.. A good smith can get them down to an acceptable 3-3.5#... I personally won't go lower on those...
I have a 7600 in 35 whelen and I love it. I've taken shots out to 335 yards with it. I would agree with most other posters, highly recommended rifle. Very accurate and I have had no reliabilty issues. Funny how I always see posts asking about reliability with the 7600...no one ever asks about reliabilty of the Rem 870. same reciever. Been around a long time to. If you grew up on pump shotguns like me...you will really love this rifle.
I grew up around these rifles in Pa and have seen many here in AK; while assisting friends sight-in before hunting here in AK, I'm amazed at how well these guns will shoot. I now own a 760 in 30-06, and it also shoots very good for a non-tweaked rifle.
Dont like the rattle on the rifle. I want my rifle to be dead quiet when I sight in.
I had the same thoughts as you about 30 years ago so I bought a new 760 in .308. It almost cost me a nice 8-point buck when I was hunting in sub freezing weather. First shot was a light strike on the primer. Second shot got him on the run. The rattle is also a dead giveaway. If you get one, you should strip it down and clean all of the factory lube out of it and use some graphite. That's what I should have done. Thanks...Bill.
What rattles? The slide/handle I imagine.
I heard about a party that went out of the country for deer and two of the hunters had Rem. 760's. Both of them jammed. One jam resulted in the deer being lost. In one instance the magazine fell out of the 760 and in the other instance it was magazine trouble as well.

A couple of years ago I got to a stand I wanted on the farm. I thought I was early but some guy beat me there. When I walked by him he was fussing with what seemed to be the newer 7600. Soon he got up and left the field saying his rifle was jammed!

I have shot 760's and they have been reasonably accurate but the triggers are not up to standard. Its one of those guns I don't want.
If it jams, it is from a lack of maintenence or faulty ammo (bad reloads). These guns are as bulletproof as the 870s. Yes it can be noisy with the forearm rattling a bit, but knowing that lets the shooter use more care in jostling it.

A buddy of mine just traded for one in .30-06 with synthetic stock. I expect it to be about perfect as a utility/truck gun. We will zero it as soon as he gets his scope mounted. I expect it to shoot as well as most bolt guns.

Leon
I've got a 760 in .280 that I rarely shoot but absolutely love, I think it's going to be my gun for bear season this year. I have no scope on it and don't intend on using one, as it points too well with open sights for me to want to alter it.
I have one of the 7615's with 16" barrel and regular black plastic stock/forearm. It is tremendously handy and as accurate as almost any 223 I've shot. Makes a tremendous truck gun with it's parkerized finish and ar15 magazines. Only thing I need now is a truck.
Originally Posted by zimhunter
I have one of the 7615's with 16" barrel and regular black plastic stock/forearm. It is tremendously handy and as accurate as almost any 223 I've shot. Makes a tremendous truck gun with it's parkerized finish and ar15 magazines. Only thing I need now is a truck.

Now that there is funny.....
I've thought that the 760/7600 parkerized with synthetic stock, large box magazine, NECG express sights, flip-up back-up peep, properly mounted 6x42, and with a proper 21" barrel in 9.3x62 would be about the handiest, killin'est rig out there for anything in North America.
The one thing I don't like about my 7600 is the synthetic stock is too high to allow comfortable use of the iron sights. I haven't seen any synthetics that don't have the high comb. Anybody seen or have a straight synthetic stock?

Also, the trigger is pretty crappy. Have any of y'all used these folks to have your trigger worked? WEBSITE
Here is a place that has a spring kit for $10- or a work over to a "match" 2.5-3# for $60-.
http://www.barnesgunparts.com/remington-7400-7600-760-740-.html
I sure agree with you on that one! I've toyed with the idea of modifying mine - like that. But, as it was my Dad's - I keep resisting. I just wish I could buy another - already made that way. That a bear rifle that would be!

Might want to add a real recoil pad to the list vs. the factory offering.
Thanks, FVA. It looks like they really work over the trigger group.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by zimhunter

Now that there is funny.....

I agree...He did start with the easy things first, too. Most people buy a truck and then look for a "truck gun". He bought the gun and now needs a "gun truck".......
I've thought that the 760/7600 parkerized with synthetic stock, large box magazine, NECG express sights, flip-up back-up peep, properly mounted 6x42, and with a proper 21" barrel in 9.3x62 would be about the handiest, killin'est rig out there for anything in North America.

On both ends. shocked wink
Well, I let a 270 on GunBroker get away from me but had an epiphany. Since I already have a 30 06 dies, brass, and couple hundred 30 caliber bullets, not so with the 270, why not go with a 270 Improved. There are tons of 760/7600 30 06�s. Looks like I should be able to pick up a very nice one for mid three�s give or take $50-. Pretty sure I am going to give the Remington pump a go.
Thanks all.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

On both ends. shocked wink

Not at all; the CZ550FS in 9.3x62 I have isn't nearly that bad. A whole lot more enjoyable to shoot than any 3" magnum 12 gauge, and not much worse (if any) than a heavy loaded '06.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I also had the trigger done by Accuracy Systems Inc.

What's the deal on the trigger job? Here in Canada?

Hey Paul,

I'll keep my ears open, but there aren't that many FS these days. Gimme a shout when you get settled. We'll hit Tims for a brew.

HI Paul,

ASI is in the southern US. I had another trigger done by Barnes Custom Gunsmithing also in the US. Google them for contact info. Both did excellent jobs.

Shame that ordering guns over the border is a impossibility as there are a bunch of Whelens on GB.
the last 760 a bought on gb was a very clean 30-06 i gave 285 shipped for it.

here in mo. the 760/7600 are cheap and not very popular. i love my 760 in a 6mm.
Originally Posted by elelbean
Been thinking about buying a 7600 myself. For people that have owned, shot, or handled them......do you think the regular .270 with 22" barrel would feel much different that the 30/06 carbine? I'm a fairly new hunter and want to know if there would be a lot more kick with the carbine and if there's much difference in handling in the feild between the longer and shorter barrel. I hunt Maine/NB as well.

yeah, the carbines handle different. They would be perfect with a 20" barrel in my opinion.

I doubt it would kick more, but she'll be a lot louder with the 18.5" barrel, that I know. None of mine are currently carbines, but if I found one in a 35 whelen of a .35 rem. they would be real quick.

Originally Posted by Savage_99
I heard about a party that went out of the country for deer and two of the hunters had Rem. 760's. Both of them jammed. One jam resulted in the deer being lost. In one instance the magazine fell out of the 760 and in the other instance it was magazine trouble as well.

A couple of years ago I got to a stand I wanted on the farm. I thought I was early but some guy beat me there. When I walked by him he was fussing with what seemed to be the newer 7600. Soon he got up and left the field saying his rifle was jammed!

I have shot 760's and they have been reasonably accurate but the triggers are not up to standard. Its one of those guns I don't want.

There's a group a couple states north of you that uses the 7600's almost exclusively - the Benoits, ever heard of them? I know their hunting isn't quite as demanding as setting up behind some hay bales (tongue firmly planted in cheek) but the 7600 seems to work for them. wink

The group of guys I hunt with all switched from 742/740/7400 to 760/7600 because they had jamming problems. They have never ever had an issue with the 760/7600. They hunt hard in some pretty terrible weather and these guys are not rifle looneys. Their rifles are not babied. This says a lot to me on their reliability.
BINGO!!!! Right on JDK.
I've wanted a 7600 in .308 for as long as I can remember. Finally bought one about a month ago. I am real pleased with it's accuracy. The first time I tried to get a 3 shot group at 100 yards, I fired the first two shots and had an oblong hole. The third shot was just below the first two. It was about a 3/4 inch group. I am having a problem though. The gun is suppose to hold 4 rounds, so I guess that would be one round in the chamber and three in the magazine. If I put more than two rounds in the magazine, when I push the slide forward, it does not want to lock. If I have one or two rounds in the magazine when I push the slide forward, it does not seem to be a problem. And, if the slide is not locked forward, you can't pull the trigger. Anyone have an idea what the problem may be? Other than that, I love the gun. Hopefully it will be my main whitetail rifle.
Only M760 I know of that had "jamming" problems, was an older one in 300 Savage that belonged to an old dairy farmer I knew for many years, (he's gone now). He got stopped by a Dep. one year, right in front of my cabin and the Dep. had a fit because the loaded magazine was in the old boy's M760.

The farmer explained that he couldn't get the magazine out of it, that's why it was still in the rifle. Dep. couldn't remove it either, so he told him to take it home and deal with it, wrote him up a smaller infraction for having a rifle in the truck with loaded mag in it.

Joke was, the reason the mag wouldn't come out, is because it would hold one more round than advertised, but you had to shuck a cartrdige or two out of it, before it would come out. Lucky for him, the Dep. bought into his "it's jammed" story and never thought to work the pump action to unload it.

Hunted with one in 30-06 for some time many years ago, sold it. Never had any problems with it jamming. Someone that'd hunted with one for years, advised me to work it like I was trying to rip the fore end off. I did, it never failed to cycle.
Jerry, is your 7600 new or used? If it's new I'd contact Remington for a replacement magazine. If it's used I'd try another mag. If it's an all steel magazine and it's used, drop it in a pot of boiliong water for 15 minutes. You may be amazed by what comes out of it. Dry it inside and out and spray it with some Remington dry lube inside.
VA, 760 and 7600's seem to have more felt recoil than other rifles of the same chambering. My son and other 760/7600 owners I know have shared the same opinion.
I never had a jam with my 7600's. I often practice off-hand rapid fire at the range (shooting at balloons). I have run countless 4 shot "barrages" through my current .308 and the 30-06 7600 I just sold and never had an issue.

As far as reliability, I have hunted with mine in freezing rain, snowstorms, and pouring rain and have never had a misfire or any other problem.

The 7600 is a workhorse, and a damn good one at that.
+1 on boiling the magazines. I boiled my two M760 mags a month or so ago and stuff came out that had to have been there since the 70s! I didn't have any problems mind you, but they felt a bit "gritty" and I boiled them. My M760 feeds with both mags like it gets paid for it.
Jerry, is your 7600 new or used? If it's new I'd contact Remington for a replacement magazine. If it's used I'd try another mag. If it's an all steel magazine and it's used, drop it in a pot of boiliong water for 15 minutes. You may be amazed by what comes out of it. Dry it inside and out and spray it with some Remington dry lube inside.

Dave, My 7600 is brand new. I've only had it about a month. Shot it twice and had the problem from day one. I did send an email to Remington explaining the problem and asked for there advice as to what was wrong. I'm waiting for them to reply. Should hear something about Wednesday.
I have my Grandfather's 7600 in .308 that shoots .5 moa with my loads. VXII -1-4x is a perfect fit. I don't mind the longer action with the .308 as I can load heavier bullets and seat them out further. My trigger is at 4lbs even.
[Linked Image]

If the forend is rattling, it may need a new O ring. An easy fix.

[Linked Image]
This is my "working" 7600 in 35 Whelen. Fully engraved with a reworked 3 1/2lb. trigger. I have shot over 150 boar/hogs & 6 Black bears with it. Shoots just about any factory ammo into 1 1/2 or less & 1" for handloads. A specialty rifle for special hunting situations. Scope is a 6X42 Leupold with Premier Reticle heavy crosshair.[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Jerry,

Try to find an older mag that is all metal. The new ones have the plastic on the bottom. I have found that they are not nearly as reliable as the older ones. If you have an old gun shop or a pawn shop around they should have some laying around. I have not had good luck with the new clips, on the other hand, I've had no problems with the older ones.

You do need to clean the crud out of them from time to time though. The mag should hold 4 and function flawlessly. You can put one in the pipe too, but if you can't hit 'em with 4 I don't think the 5th will help you too much.

Try to spray a little Rem-Dri Lube in the mag spring, see if it helps.

Tom
Jerry,

Try to find an older mag that is all metal. The new ones have the plastic on the bottom. I have found that they are not nearly as reliable as the older ones. If you have an old gun shop or a pawn shop around they should have some laying around. I have not had good luck with the new clips, on the other hand, I've had no problems with the older ones.

You do need to clean the crud out of them from time to time though. The mag should hold 4 and function flawlessly. You can put one in the pipe too, but if you can't hit 'em with 4 I don't think the 5th will help you too much.

Try to spray a little Rem-Dri Lube in the mag spring, see if it helps.

Tom

blargon and tbear,
Those are some good looking guns.

Tom,
Thanks, I will try that. The problem is that tomorrow I am having shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff and won't be able to shoot for a few months. On the other hand, that will give me plenty of time to find a metal magazine and I guess I will also be able to see if it feeds. I just won't be able to shoot. Again, thanks for the info.

I am looking forward to hunting with the 7600 this year. Both of my brothers use them and love them.

Jerry
The problem is that tomorrow I am having shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff and won't be able to shoot for a few months.
Best wishes with that! I had mine done a year and a half ago. I didn't have much pain and no other problems with mine. Just take your pain meds for the first couple of days whether it hurts or not and do the exercises faithfully once physical therapy starts. I sure did miss shooting while it was healing but if someone would have given me a new magnum to go shooting before I was ready, I would have passed. It's not something you want to do twice.
Jerry,

I may be able to help you out if you can't find one near you.

I'll send a PM.

Best wishes with the shoulder surgery.
I have an nice older 7600, 30 06, on the way. Hope it has the all metal magazine. It has the same black fore end tip as the rifles above but no white spacers between the fore end tip or grip cap. Also the checkering is along traditional patterns. Should get it next week and see what is what.
I have a story, some ideas and PIX: grin
My daughter is wanting a 'bigger rifle' and asked about a "pump-action".
Initially I was tempted to add to the Remington collection with another 700 in .25-06, but I considered getting her a 7600...or even a 7400 or the new 750.
She's only 13 so it'll be 'my' gun for a few years, but her goal is to be a LEO someday and she'll get all the guns anyway!
You guys got me thinking again about the 7600.
I've got a 5-digit, first-year 740 and a Y2K 7400 Synthetic Carbine, both in .30-06, plus a few magazines for them.
It would be wise to get her a .30-06 since I have the parts and ammo. I'll take her out soon and see how she does with that cartridge...
I've taken my 7400 and put it into a couple of different configurations, a LOT OF FUN! It's now in a Bell&Carlson stock set with a Harris bipod mount on it. I took the sights off for now.
EGW makes a good Picatinny scope mount for it ( for the Marlin 336 and 1895, too ) which I plan to get soon.
I also have a Choate pistolgrip buttstock for the 870 that I filed down a bit to fit the 7400 action perfectly. It makes for a comfortable shooting grip, and should work equally well for the 7600.
My 7400 hasn't jammed yet, but I've read some of the posts on how to enhance the reliability of the 7600 and that should apply for my rifle also.
The factory magazines DO work the best. THANK YOU.
Here's a couple of old pix for fun. I was younger then...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

fva,

i was looking on gunbroker last nite and there were some deals to be had on a older 760, but i see you got one already.
Yeah, I have a bunch of them on my watch list. Picked up one off AA that looks to be used very little at a fair price taking into consideration the $15-shipping.

The problem with these mags is that after a while the little notch at the rear of the mag becomes worn and won't stay in place properly causing feeding problems. Be carefull when buying used mags and folks just sell them off after they stop woking right. I don't care what the mag looks like, but if it's overly worn on that notch I avoid at all cost.

[Linked Image]

Must be your "pastry chef goes postal" look. whistle

grin

kinda what I was thinking.
oulufin

I ran into the same problem with a M7600 35Rem carbine. Could not shoot it with the open sights. I called Remington and their first response was--well everybody puts a scope on them anyway. I asked to speak with a "higher up" and SHE understood the problem. SHE sent me a M1100 20ga shotgun stock (synthetic) with no comb at cost that fit perfectly and solved the problem.

Might be worth a try.

WN

grin

Man, you guys are GOOD! laugh
wink
Thanks, Whelen Nut. I'll give 'em a shout.

Edit- I just spoke with a very helpful gal at Remington. She confirmed that the 20 Gauge 1100 synthetic stock will fit. I should have it in a week, or so. Appreciate the info, Whelen Nut!!

A sidenote is, that their website doesn't suck as bad as it has for so many years! I'm two for two with Remington, today! grin
This thread is at 80 replies. That should demonstrate two things: 1) the 7600/760 series is pretty popular to generate 80 replies, and 2) based on the majority of the replies posted, the 7600/760 seems to be held in pretty high regard by most of the posters, which should answer the fundamental question: Are 7600's/760's any good?

I personally don't like the shakey forearm, but for close woods stuff they work well.

Spot
I grew up shooting them, owned many in different calibers and still own two 760's in 06,one .270 and a model 6 in .243, they have all shot well, some have had some pretty rough triggers, but a deadly gun in the brush or walking treelines when you need a fast second or third shot, they have been very reliable when kept clean and the right lubricant used.
I have a slightly off topic question - I recently bought a used 760 3006 that is different than most. It has a stock just like a 870 shotgun with the pressed checkering and all. The butt plate is steel so it may be origional. The forearm is not held on with a screw or pin and I am wondering how to get it off. Any suggestions?
I got it for $160 at gander mountain and the stock needs to be refinished and the worn bluing will keep it as a woods worn veteran. The price was good because it was also missing the magazine. GM wanted $40 for a new plastic bottom one so I went to a pawn shop and found 4 steel ones for $25 in thier misc. magazine box.
I like the tip about boiling tha magazines. I think I will do that with this one and my dad's 742 magazines too.
H
humdinger

Sounds like you may have one of the older 760's. The stock has lots of drop to it (almost too much). The bbl is not free floated on that vintage but is connected to the pump/action tube like the 870's are.

Check the Remington site. They should have a schematic which will show you how to remove the forearm.

WN
Originally Posted by humdinger
I like the tip about boiling tha magazines. I think I will do that with this one and my dad's 742 magazines too.

Boiling, not doubt, will work very well, but I've have good luck just running very hot tap water over gun parts to remove greasy crud. Spray first with a solvent and run enough water over the part to clean and heat up the part to help evaporate any residual moisture. I've done this for 760/7600 mags and trigger groups for years with no problems at all.
I guess the magazines must be hard to take apart?
Originally Posted by FVA
I guess the magazines must be hard to take apart?

You have to bend to get the follower and spring out. They clean up pretty well either bolied or washed as mentioned.
Originally Posted by MIKE HUNT
grin

Man, you guys are GOOD! laugh
wink

Sorry,

I ment line chef.
I had one and it was a good rifle, wish I could get it back. I even did a trigger job on it and that takes a world of work to do right.

Two things:

The magazine once fell out when I didn't push it in all the way. After that, I carried spare cartriges in a spare magazine.

Keep the chamber clean and dry. I had a jam once amd the story is too grusome to relate.

You can never go wrong with a 30-06.

Grizzly

Not sure if I can add anything to the conversation without showing too much of a bias towards the Remington pump, so I'll keep it simple:
It shoots like a bitch.
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
Not sure if I can add anything to the conversation without showing too much of a bias towards the Remington pump, so I'll keep it simple:
It shoots like a bitch.

Amen Brother!
Had a 760 Carbine.30-06 18.5" and a 7600 35 Whelen 22". The Whelen had 4 port Magnaport and shot like butta. Kicked much less than the .30-06 Carbine too. Both were good, accurate, reliable guns only sold to fund other gun projects along the way. Though I have been eyeing that NOS 35 Rem 7600 Carbine on Gunbroker for awhile.

I just picked up the one I won off Auction Arms an hour or so ago. Looks like it only had a box or two of shells ran through it.
Mounted up a 6x42 in Dednutz mounts and just because I had to shoot it went out back and ran 20 shots through it at a box off hand just to see how it functioned and get the scope close for when I hit the range.
Recoil wasn't bad and running through a magazine can certainly be done quick. Feed/function was flawless for this little outing. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to see how she shoots.
The trigger is workable but will be getting sent out.
Initial impressions of the Dednuts mounts is pretty high as well. Scope sat right down perfectly in them and they are light and robust.
It occurs to me that a 7600, either standard or carbine, in 338 Federal, would be a good woods hunting rig.
I hunted with 742/7400's for over twenty years but now have 7600's in 257 Roberts, 7mm-08, 35 Remington carbine, 35 Whelen and my son has a 30-06 carbine.

The 35 Remington is my favorite and I have killed two good bucks in the last three years with it. I don't find that the forarm rattles too much. I do find the carbines with their thicker barrels to be more acurate than the rifles. I killed one small buck with the Whelen but have not hunted much with the other rifles.

If I had unlimited funds I would buy the 25-06 and 6mm that have been hanging around on gunbroker for some time.

MIKE.
Why did you change from the semi auto's. I bought a 742 that looked nice for $150. last year. It was in 30-06 and I bet it hadn't had 200 rounds thru it. However it was Jamming and the reason was it had never had the barrel, chamber or gas ports cleaned. Well the owner said he ran an oily patch down the barrel after he shot it. I properly cleaned it and it worked just fine. I took the Leupold scope off it and sold the rifle for $275. and am thinking now I should have kept it. Actually I am thinking about picking up a 760 ADL in 30-06 if I can find one reasonable around here.
Originally Posted by DELGUE
It occurs to me that a 7600, either standard or carbine, in 338 Federal, would be a good woods hunting rig.

I bought my .35 Rem carbine with the intent it becoming a .358 Win. After shooting it, though, I can't bring myself to do it. If I can find a cheap .308, it's going to grow into a .338 Federal before I even put a round through it.

George
I would like one in .35 REM too. But after buying bullets for the .358, I would keep it a .35Rem.

Why do you want a .308 specifically? The action length is the same for all of them from .243 up to 35Whelen.

Is the case head a different size on them?
The .308s are more common around here than most others except the '06. If I find an '06 I would probably have to do the 338-06 thing just to be different.

George
I went pawn shoping yesterday and found one Model 76 in 30-06, beat to heck and they wanted $300. for it I passed. I found 10 742/7400's all in 30-06 and average price was around $275. I also noticed a lot of the scoped ones had see thru mounts. Some kind of perversion connected with these rifles.
the 76's and 7600's are fantastic guns. Most think they are brush type guns, but in the hands of a good shooter, they can reach out there. I especially like the older ones........
Originally Posted by rickt300
I went pawn shoping yesterday and found one Model 76 in 30-06, beat to heck and they wanted $300. for it I passed. I found 10 742/7400's all in 30-06 and average price was around $275. I also noticed a lot of the scoped ones had see thru mounts. Some kind of perversion connected with these rifles.

Yeah, you do see a lot of them with see through mounts. I paid about what the price you quoted for a almost as new one. Seems to be the ball park for very good condition ones if you shop around a bit. Local gun shops/Ganders, etc. often have used stuff for what those in the know can buy new for.
I found 10 742/7400's all in 30-06 and average price was around $275. I also noticed a lot of the scoped ones had see thru mounts. Some kind of perversion connected with these rifles.

Rick, that's a wonderful observation. I've noticed the exact same thing in this neck of the woods. In fact, I don't recall ever NOT seeing a jammomatic sans see-thru mounts. The owners of those setups share a lot in common as well. grin
Some kind of perversion connected with these rifles.

I always thought that was the Wisconsin set up. Pretty rare to see a used one here without the see thru's. I'm the only one in our camp without see throught on my gun.

I'm also the only one who paid more than $50 for my scope. Go figure 'eh.
Here in Wisconsin I've heard it referred to as the Pennsylvania set-up crazy I have never used see through mounts because I like my scope to sit as close to the barrel as possible.
Mine sports a Leupold 3-9X40 in one-piece Leupold mount and rings. If you buy a new one, do yourself a favor and get two magazines.
To sum up what I like about it:
uses magazines; free-floated barrel; good backup open sights; weight; ease of cleaning once a year; fast second shot due to familiarity with pump action - hell I don't even notice I rack a new round most of the time; plenty accurate; works when its below freezing out; affordable.
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
hell I don't even notice I rack a new round most of the time; plenty accurate; works when its below freezing out; affordable.

The last time I shot twice at a buck, I didn't even remember racking the second shot either, just did it. Actually hit it with the second shot and missed with the first.
Why did you change from the semi auto's. I bought a 742 that looked nice for $150. last year. It was in 30-06 and I bet it hadn't had 200 rounds thru it. However it was Jamming and the reason was it had never had the barrel, chamber or gas ports cleaned. Well the owner said he ran an oily patch down the barrel after he shot it. I properly cleaned it and it worked just fine. I took the Leupold scope off it and sold the rifle for $275. and am thinking now I should have kept it. Actually I am thinking about picking up a 760 ADL in 30-06 if I can find one reasonable around here.

I still have two 7400's. My 742 wore out in the mid 90's and Remington had a trade in program. I have a rifle in 30-06, trade in program, and a rare carbine in 280 Remington.

The special runs by Grices coupled with the whole Benoit thing, fueled by people on this site this site and graybeardoutdoors.com
got me started and I can't stop.

I have a good hunting bud that used the Marlin in 35 rem for many years and I called it a pop gun. Boy was I wrong!

I also want a 7600 carbine in 358 but can't bring my self to rechamber my 35 rem. MIKE.
35 Remington: the little cartridge that could! 760/7600: fast enough for brush shooting, accurate enough to reach out. It's a very underestimated weapon.
The special runs by Grices coupled with the whole Benoit thing, fueled by people on this site this site and graybeardoutdoors.com

Glad to be of help Mike!

Dale
A lot of people complain about the forearm ratteling & making noise. I carry my 760 or 7600 with forward tension on the forarm
& they are quiet.
Originally Posted by DELGUE
35 Remington: the little cartridge that could! 760/7600: fast enough for brush shooting, accurate enough to reach out. It's a very underestimated weapon.

I got to agree with that. I shot a 8 pt in '05 and a 6pt in '07 with the 35 Rem. Both those deer hit the ground like they were pole axed. MIKE.
Originally Posted by 257ROBT

Glad to be of help Mike!

Dale

Yes Dale you are one of "THOSE PEOPLE"!
Well...I guess I'm one of "Those People". Bought my 7600 7mm-08 through Grices. Had the trigger worked on and now it's not a clean crisp 3Lbs. Forend doesn't rattle and rifle is very accurate with the handloads I've developed for it. It consistently shoots sub MOA with everything I've tried so far and generally averages about 3/4" CTC @ 100YDS. I use 145 Grn Speer HotCor's on top of IMR4350 for open area hunting and Hornady 154 Grn RN on top of H414 when hunting the woods.

[Linked Image]

Here is a couple of my "better" 100 Yd groups with each of my hunting loads. Dark squares are 1/2".
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

It's got wever bases and Luepold quick release rings. I've got two Burris 3-9X40's with Ballistic Plex reticles. One sighted in for the 145 Speers and one for the 154 HDY RN. Holds point of impact very well when switching scopes. Also picked up an ATN red dot sight which I intend to use with the RN bullets but haven't got it sighted in yet.

Killed two deer with it last season and both were DRT. Love the rifle and the set-up. It's definitely my go-to rifle now and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

firstshot
----------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Originally Posted by firstshot
Well...I guess I'm one of "Those People". Bought my 7600 7mm-08 through Grices. Had the trigger worked on and now it's not a clean crisp 3Lbs. Forend doesn't rattle and rifle is very accurate with the handloads I've developed for it. It consistently shoots sub MOA with everything I've tried so far and generally averages about 3/4" CTC @ 100YDS. I use 145 Grn Speer HotCor's on top of IMR4350 for open area hunting and Hornady 154 Grn RN on top of H414 when hunting the woods.

[Linked Image]

Here is a couple of my "better" 100 Yd groups with each of my hunting loads. Dark squares are 1/2".
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

It's got wever bases and Luepold quick release rings. I've got two Burris 3-9X40's with Ballistic Plex reticles. One sighted in for the 145 Speers and one for the 154 HDY RN. Holds point of impact very well when switching scopes. Also picked up an ATN red dot sight which I intend to use with the RN bullets but haven't got it sighted in yet.

Killed two deer with it last season and both were DRT. Love the rifle and the set-up. It's definitely my go-to rifle now and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

firstshot
----------------------------

Yes you are one of "those People"!

I had a 25-06 with the same gray laminate stock but I hated the stock and traded it for a 257 Roberts plus 300 bucks.

Glad I got the Roberts but wish I still had the 25-06 with walnut stocks. The Roberts shoots under 3" groups at 200 yards with Remington factory ammo with an inexpensive Nikon 3x9 prostaff scope.
Those are impressive groups. Nice gun and good shooting.
Hey Mike,

Glad to hear the Roberts is shooting for you. I almost was forced to sell my second one here yesterday to get some $$$, but good fortune has smiled on me today. I have a line on a shooter 99EG in 300 Savage, so I guess I won't be getting a 7600 300 Savage.

Dale
I have fooled around with the idea of the 300 Savage but I am waiting to see what else they offer this year. 358 maybe?

Hit the range with my brother to day. Been cooped up with my foot healing and could not stay in the house one more day.

Shot the 35 Rem, 35 Whelen, a Remington model 4 in 30-06 that belongs to a friend and my 7400 280 carbine.

The two 35's shot in the bull at 100 yards right out of the case. They are my two favorite rifles by far. Shot 200 grain Remington factory ammo in both. Did some off hand and sitting shooting.

Forgot to bring extra ammo for the 30-06 only had 6 rounds so another trip will be necessary to finish that gun.

The 280 carbine shoots way to the left and I was having trouble moving the iron site. Was tired by this time so another trip for this gun also.

MIKE.
This is a scan of a target I shot this morning ( 100 yrds. ) with my Remington Model Six ( this was a short run of the 7600 ).

Shooting this rifle well is like falling off a log. Factory Federal 150 gr. Powershok ammo!

[Linked Image]
rahtreelimbs

That's and outstanding group with factory fodder!!!! What caliber? You got pics of the model 6?

The only factory ammo I've tried was the Federal Fusions and couldn't do any better than about 1 1/2" groups. Guess I'll just stick to my handloads.

firstshot
-------------------------------
That is a sweet shooting rifle. Haven't had time to put mine through the paces yet but I hope it shoots as good as yours and some of the others posted.
I have a couple hundred Combined Technology Partition Gold 150's I plan on giving a try. Picked them up for $11- a box a couple years ago. With prices as they are I wish I picked up a couple hundred more.
Originally Posted by firstshot
rahtreelimbs

That's and outstanding group with factory fodder!!!! What caliber? You got pics of the model 6?

The only factory ammo I've tried was the Federal Fusions and couldn't do any better than about 1 1/2" groups. Guess I'll just stick to my handloads.

firstshot
-------------------------------

That is a 30.06.

Not bad for $260 minus the scope!!!

I will get some pics and post them tonite!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

rahtreelimbs.....that's definitely a nice looking set-up.

firstshot
---------------------------
My 7600 7mm-08 with laminated stocks. Leupy vx2 1x4 with a Premier Reticle #4 mounted in Talley lightweight rings.

[Linked Image]

Not a great group but it works for me. My hand load shoots to the same zero as 140gr Rem. factory ammo.

[Linked Image]
Dave,

is that stock an aftermarket stock? looks pretty sharp.
Thanks Colin. Grice Wholesale in PA had a special run made. The 7600's with the laminated stocks were chambered in 30-06,.270, 25-06,& 7mm-08.

Boyd's gunstocks does have aftermarket stocks for the 7600.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=7600&Search.x=6&Search.y=1
Ok, guys. There's only 126 replies on this thread. Doesn't anyone have an opinion on the 7600/760's??? smile
just think, no bashing it either. must be a hell of a gun 'eh?

smile
tzone,
I noticed that! All those replies, and almost all of them positive and enthusiastic!! It almost enough to make you think that the 7600/760's are real sleepers as far as hunting rifles are concerned. The folks that have them seem to really like them! When I first bought my first one, back before 1990, as soon as Remmie brought it out in .280 I said I had to have one! It's been a good and faithful rifle ever since. Someday I might have to take the plunge and get a third one (I inherited my brother's 760 in .30-06), mebbeso in 35 Whelen. That would make a real nice 'thumper', and would nicely complement my Marlin 444 and .45-70's.
I got one in .280 earlier this year. The next one I get, will be in .35 Rem. I had one of those too, but of course stupidly got rid of it.
I picked up a 7600 in 35 Whelen 2 years ago. I used it last season and was pleased with the results. I loaded 250gr Hornady roundnoses with 57gr of R15. Shoots pretty good, a little over an inch at 100. I can't wait to take it out again this hunting season.
[Linked Image]
Nice group.
I have never seen so many pictures of a rifle that we should all know what they look like or targets that really prove nothing..but all that aside the 7600 was the rifle the CIA picked for an assasination rifle and they may still use it in certain cases such as Pablo Escobar etc. or I guess they can when the Republicans are in office! smile

I have shot a number of them and they feed like s--t through a goose and everyone one of them would shoot an inch, that is no faint praise..I personally like the 760 with the corncob forend much better than the 7600..

What I do not like at all is that forend that rattles like 50 pounds of ball bearing in a box car..surely there is some way to muffle that damn thing!!
Originally Posted by atkinson

What I do not like at all is that forend that rattles like 50 pounds of ball bearing in a box car..surely there is some way to muffle that damn thing!!

If it is a later model 760 or a 7600 it will have an O ring on the slide tube that can be replaced to stop the rattling. If its an older 760 you can have a groove machined to add the O ring.

Targets really don't mean much, except that my particular rifle likes 180 SST's, and you don't need a bolt gun to shoot sub-moa groups. grin
How do you take apart the 7600? Do you need a gunsmith or can it be done by a regular joe?

Thanks Colin. Grice Wholesale in PA had a special run made. The 7600's with the laminated stocks were chambered in 30-06,.270, 25-06,& 7mm-08.

Boyd's gunstocks does have aftermarket stocks for the 7600.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=7600&Search.x=6&Search.y=1

Thanks for the link, Dave.
MidwayUSA sells a small book that's a take down guide. The short answer is remove the fore end, place the receiver in a padded vice, heat the action tube (just enough to break the loctite) run a punch through the holes in the action tube and tap the punch with a mallet to unscrew the tube off of the bolt that runs through the front of the receiver. The whole barrel/action tube/bolt assembly will come out of the receiver kind of like an 870 shotgun. That said, I'd use a gunsmith. A friend changed a barrel on a 760 recently and said it wasn't too difficult but he did break a punch. He later learned Remington uses Loctite on the bolt the action tube screws onto.
Just won this auction:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=108638063

Can't wait!
mike103,

That is a nice 6mm you picked up there. Let us know how you like it.
Dave, I have had a few apart and never had to heat anything, did not see any sign of locktite.

Remove forend. Insert metal rod in holes on slide tube. Turn rod counter-clockwise. Unscrew slide tube. Clean everything and replace O ring, reassemble.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by blargon
Dave, I have had a few apart and never had to heat anything, did not see any sign of locktite.
Interesting.. Only time I don't need heat is when it's been taken apart once before.. But if it's a virgin factory rifle, heat has always been necessary, as described above just enough to melt the loktite..

While it's apart, don't forget to lube that O-ring before reassembly..

How much of a job is it to re barrel one these 7600's......not that I'm that far into them yet(grin)
FVA you metioned "fast handling woods rifle"

A 760/7600 30-06 Carbine would fit that bill nicely. I have owned both and am sorry they are no longer in my gun safe. They just carry well and come to the shoulder quickly.

30/06 spitting 165 Hornadys out of a carbine is the ultimate woods rifle.

Here's my 7600 7/08 rechambered to 284 Winchester. I love 'em.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I picked up one like yours in 30 06 but not the carbine version. I plan on playing with it and may take a couple inches off the barrel down the road.
Originally Posted by FVA
How much of a job is it to re barrel one these 7600's......not that I'm that far into them yet(grin)

I have been tryin' to find this out too!!!
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
FVA you metioned "fast handling woods rifle"

A 760/7600 30-06 Carbine would fit that bill nicely. I have owned both and am sorry they are no longer in my gun safe. They just carry well and come to the shoulder quickly.

30/06 spitting 165 Hornadys out of a carbine is the ultimate woods rifle.

Here's my 7600 7/08 rechambered to 284 Winchester. I love 'em.

[Linked Image]

What needed to be done to the magazine to run 284 ammo???
I was thinking of getting one of these in 30-06 carbine for my first rifle. However, I'm worried about the recoil having never shot one. Is the recoil that bad? I've read they kick pretty good.
In my experience it will get your attention at the bench (the wood stocked 760/7600 rifles and carbines don't have a recoil pad). I use a PAST recoil shield for bench work and never had a problem in the field. The carbines have a loud "bark" since they have a 18.5" barrel. I had a 760 30-06 and now have a 7600 7mm-08 and both are rifles. Nothing wrong with the carbines, just never felt a need for one.
I was thinking of getting one of these in 30-06 carbine for my first rifle. However, I'm worried about the recoil having never shot one. Is the recoil that bad? I've read they kick pretty good.

On the bench the 7600 in any configuration is not that bad on recoil...........at least to me.

You just have to properly pad yourself and have decent eye relief on your optics!!!
I bought one yesteday at Ace Pawn in Kennewick, WA for $298 out the door. 30-06 made in the year of my birth (1959). VVGC

How cool is that?

Shooting mine in 30 06 offhand is nothing. Pretty straight back push and you can rack follow up shots dang quick.
Off the hood of my truck, leaning into it, it comes back pretty good and up. A good pad would make a ton of difference vs. the plastic butt plate, a worthwhile upgrade,IMO, and one I will be doing. Still, the recoil is managable enough compared to other 30 06's.
rahtreelimbs
Just a little bending of the mag ears/lips. 30/06 mag used to allow 3.040" C.O.L.

I have one of the Grice 35 Whelens in the 7600 (thank you! Mr. Haviland for your article in Rifle). I have dubbed it The Punisher. Offhand it's not too bad, but a nice pad will eventually be added. It shoots as well or better than my 700Classic in the same cartridge. It just taps me a bit harder.
Karl
I have 3 7600's 2 in .35 Whelen and 1 .35 rem carbine from Grice wholesale. Very accurate guns, fast handling etc. I have had no feeding or reliability issues. I think I am going to add a 7600 30-06 carbine to my stable soon.
Karl
I just had a 35 remington rechambered to 358. It shoots fine, but I can't put more than a couple rounds in the magazine. Load 3 or 4 and it spreads too wide to fit in the receiver. The magazines won't feed into the chamber when they are full, either.

Where should I bend or file to make this go away. BTW, it happens on 2 separate 308 magazines.
Three years ago I won an auction on gunbroker.com for a new, old stock 7600 in .30-06, vintage 1988, IIRC. I think those years, that is, the 80's to really early 90's, were the pinnacle of the 760 series, as I can't stand the newer ones with that really high Monte Carlo comb and I much prefer the straight comb like mine has. Mine will shoot Remington 165 grain Core-Lokt factory ammo into less than an inch with no problem and it has become the deer rifle I grab when I go back home to WI for the season.
Originally Posted by BMR
I think those years, that is, the 80's to really early 90's, were the pinnacle of the 760 series, as I can't stand the newer ones with that really high Monte Carlo comb and I much prefer the straight comb like mine has.

Unfortunately you're probably correct and not just the 760/7600 rifles.
When you rechambered did you replace the magazine? That might be the problem.
Originally Posted by mogwai
I just had a 35 remington rechambered to 358. It shoots fine, but I can't put more than a couple rounds in the magazine. Load 3 or 4 and it spreads too wide to fit in the receiver. The magazines won't feed into the chamber when they are full, either.

Where should I bend or file to make this go away. BTW, it happens on 2 separate 308 magazines.

Mogwai,

I am having a similar problem. I just bought a new 7600 in .308 about 2 months ago. If I put more than two rounds in the magazine, when I work the slide, it will not lock forward. Someone said to get one of the old magazines. I did that and can hardley get it into the magazine well because it is so tight. I am sending it back to Remington for them to correct the problem. Otherwise I love the gun. It really shoots well.

Jerry
Interesting.. Only time I don't need heat is when it's been taken apart once before.. But if it's a virgin factory rifle, heat has always been necessary, as described above just enough to melt the loktite..

I have found that my 7600 slide has gotten "sticky" over the past couple of years. Everything is clean and lubed yet the forearm does not slide with the ease that it once did. Could it be that my O ring is causing this?
can some one tell me how to remove the front slide from the 760?

I want to refinish the wood.
IMHO it's more likely the problem is in the receiver where the action bars slide. I'd pull the trigger assembly and hose the receiver out with Gunscrubber. Let it dry and see if that helps. If it does, lube it with a dry lube.
The older type I don't know how to remove it.
older type/ maybe has a ring that locks the fore end on like a 870 pump?
[Linked Image]

newer type/ just remove the screw in the end of the fore end.
[Linked Image]
Dave,
Mine looks very similar and I couldn't figure out how to get the forearm off either... So I did a careful tape/mask job and stripped & tru-oiled it on the gun (last weekend)

Now the reason I responded... How does your sling attach and is there a manufactuer name? Drill & tap or clipped on? I bought a used 760 for $165 with a rough stock and I refinished it, but I hate the barrel mounted front sling.
H
Oh.. That is the woods scope to have!
Uncle Mike's sling swivel for 76/7600. It says for 1968 and older. I used one on my 1976 760 and didn't like it. My 760 didn't have the metal piece in the end of the forarm hanger that touches the barrel. On the older 760's I'd use the Uncle Mike's for 760's in a heartbeat. I use the barrel band type on my 7600. The pics I posted are off of Gun Broker and not my rifles. I used the pics for illustration.
http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/remington_760_7600_68older.html
"BOOM-CHUKA-BOOM-CHUKA-BOOM!"

Running game hates mine!
Originally Posted by Youper
When you rechambered did you replace the magazine? That might be the problem.

The magazine that was in the gun when I bought it worked fine with 35 rem ammo. It was marked 308, so I don't know if it was original or an extra. It does not work well with 358 ammo after having the gun rechambered. A new 308 magazine shows the same symptoms as the older one:
**Does not feed well from the magazine into the chamber regardless of the # cartridges, but feeds more poorly with more shells in the mag.
**Magazine is too wide for the receiver with >2 shells in it.

I will bend the ears at the front of the (old) magazine up and out this weekend & let you know if this worked.
Would one be handicapped by using a 7600 with a 3x9 scope for hunting mostly heavy cover and thick bush? I hear most guys say you should buy the 2X power or less scopes for these situations.
3X9 would be ok, it's usable. 2X7 or (ideally) 1X4 would be better. Field of view becomes the biggest issue. A low power fixed is good, also.
A 3x9 would work great. Even when hunting in brush having to ability to crank up the magnification for a longer shot through "windows" is a nice thing to have. Having the scope mounted so it lines up quick is more important than magnification IMHO. My son has a Leupold 6x42 on his .280 and hunts brush with it. A scope with good eye relief and a reticule that's not too thin are a plus.
I have a 3X9 on my 35 Whelen rifle and a 2X7 on my 35 Remington carbine. I shot deer in heavy cover with both, no difference. The small scope just looks better on the carbine. MIKE.
I run a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8X on my Rem. 760 and have no plans of changing. It has the post and duplex reticle which really makes that scope (for my uses anyway).
I've got Burris 3-9X40 w/ballistic plex reticle on my 7600 w/leupold quick release rings. I've also got a red dot sight for it but haven't sighted it in yet. Keep the 3-9 on 3 power most of the time and just crank it up when needed.

firstshot
---------------------------
I've used a Leup 1.5x5 on my Carbine for years. It's perfect!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mike103

I picked up the rifle on Friday. Gun is flawless. Paid $630.00 + $30.00 shipping and $20.00 FFL. $680.00 total. Considering the prices I have seen as of late for a 6mm or 25-06 I am very happy.

I don't think I am going to scope this rifle right away. I am going to do alot of offhand scooting with it. I want to become more proficient with my rifle shooting in hunting style positions. The mild recoil should help.

Picked up two boxes of Remington 100 grain core-lokt's at Walmart for $22 a box.

Will get a chance to shoot it in two weeks.

MIKE.

[Linked Image]

Very nice looking set up!

I have found that my 7600 slide has gotten "sticky" over the past couple of years. Everything is clean and lubed yet the forearm does not slide with the ease that it once did. Could it be that my O ring is causing this?
Yes.. Tilt the rifle muzzle down w/action closed and let a few drops of oil ride down the action tube into the fore-arm.. It'll free right up and be slicker than seal snot...

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rig, Paul! I use a 2-7x32 leupold on my 7600.
Man that rig looks all business!

The carbines handle MUCH better than the rifles. That one is a 760/308. I also have a 7600/30-06 here that I may get cut back to 20" and add a reciever sight.
[quote=SuperCub
The carbines handle MUCH better than the rifles. That one is a 760/308. I also have a 7600/30-06 here that I may get cut back to 20" and add a reciever sight. [/quote]

A better length imo than the 18". 20 seems to handle a little better.

Tom
My .308 is cut to 19 inches. The late, great George Casey from Rogersville did it for me a few years ago. I like it much better than the standard barrel length.
I like the way the carbine handles better also but the 18" is fine with me. MIKE.

The carbines handle MUCH better than the rifles. That one is a 760/308. I also have a 7600/30-06 here that I may get cut back to 20" and add a reciever sight.

Hey Paul, if you know anyone selling a 7600 with glossy blue and wood, I am always looking.

also, do you shoot at Mispec or Hampton shooting range? I am trying to figure out which club to join up with here.
Originally Posted by jerry46
Originally Posted by mogwai

Mogwai,

I am having a similar problem. I just bought a new 7600 in .308 about 2 months ago. If I put more than two rounds in the magazine, when I work the slide, it will not lock forward. Someone said to get one of the old magazines. I did that and can hardley get it into the magazine well because it is so tight. I am sending it back to Remington for them to correct the problem. Otherwise I love the gun. It really shoots well.

Jerry

Well, I took the rifle to Gander Mountain, where I bought it, to see if this was something they could repair or if it needed sent back to Remington. They have two gunsmiths there, so I figured that one of them should be able to come up with an answer. One of the gunsmiths took the gun back into their safe room, filled the magazine with four rounds, and tried to work them through the rifle. It worked every time. Go figure. Hopefully it will continue to work because like I said before, I really like the gun and it shoots extremely well.

Jerry
Wow, what a great post. Over a month with more than a 100 comments and nearly unanamous support for a single rifle in a multitude of calibers. Very impressive. I thought the guys on the Lever gun sites were loyal. They don't hold a candle to the Rem 760/7600 crowd.

I picked up one in 30-06 from a pawn shop via GB for $330.00 about 6 months or so ago. I didn't expect much just a 2nd/3rd hand beater backup rifle and/or a pig gun. I am now a supporter. It is just as dependable as my 444 and 336/35Rem but it will shoot a whole lot farther. It's not fussy with ammo. It will shoot pretty much any load factory or hand load from 150 - 180 grain to sub minute of pig or deer.

To those that are concerned with recoil, I recommend a Limbsaver SLIP-ON pad. They are terrific and can be moved from rifle to rifle as needed. I'm a little tall so I like the extra reach as well. And if your fussy, you can take them off when you are showing off your slick deer killer to your company.
Just an update. I finally took my 7600/30 06 all apart. I did have to use a heat gun to get the slide tube free. About the only thing I saw that I did not like was the plastic ejection port cover. I did not realize that was plastic, not that it matters.
Got the barrel to what I believe is copper free with a couple applications of Wipe Out. Tomorrow I'll see how good she shoots with a clean barrel.
I have put some rounds through sighting it in and it looks to be a 1 1/4ish shooter but there was quite a bit copper in the barrel, particularly apparent after the first application with wipe Out. Wouldn't mind a bit of improvement but I'll see tomorrow.
FVA,

Let us know how it shoots. Mine in .308 gets 3/4 inch groups with Remington core-lokts in 150 gr. I tried the Remington core-lokts in 180 gr. one time and got a 1 1/8 inch group. I think I can improve on that. I had a 7600 in 7mm08 several years ago which did not shoot quite as accurate as the .308.

Hey Paul, if you know anyone selling a 7600 with glossy blue and wood, I am always looking.

What caliber are you looking for? Got any trades. wink

also, do you shoot at Mispec or Hampton shooting range? I am trying to figure out which club to join up with here.

I shoot at Mispec. You're more than welcome to come out with me some time.

PM for details ....... grin
Originally Posted by FVA
About the only thing I saw that I did not like was the plastic ejection port cover. I did not realize that was plastic, not that it matters.
You're right; it doesn't matter... They're all plastic.. Retail is about $6.00 for a new one.. Noted as a 'dust cover'... About all they're good for.. Not necessary to have for function etc...

Originally Posted by Hawkeye02

To those that are concerned with recoil, I recommend a Limbsaver SLIP-ON pad. They are terrific and can be moved from rifle to rifle as needed. I'm a little tall so I like the extra reach as well. And if your fussy, you can take them off when you are showing off your slick deer killer to your company.

I was looking to buy a slip-on pad for a new 7600 carbine w/ wood stock. Haven't bought the gun yet. Do you know what the dimensions are or what size slip-on pad would fit (from either Limbsaver or Pachmayr)?

LL,
As I recall, there are 3 sizes for Limbsaver small, medium and Large. The small one fits my 444 and 336's perfect and the Medium fits the 7600 and all my bolts both Rem and Ruger.

The last time I saw one was at Acadamy Sporting Goods and they were under $20.00. No installation fee! A bargain. They really do work

I shoot around 60 rounds (max or near max loads) out of my 444 at a sitting on range day. I don't think the 7600 (30-06) kicks as hard as The Big Dog pushing 300grain lead. My shoulder doesn't even ache. I mean nothing the next day.

Check it out, I think you'll like it.
Originally Posted by FVA
About the only thing I saw that I did not like was the plastic ejection port cover. I did not realize that was plastic, not that it matters.
You're right; it doesn't matter... They're all plastic.. Retail is about $6.00 for a new one.. Noted as a 'dust cover'... About all they're good for.. Not necessary to have for function etc...

But it does keep in the little metal peg type thig a mig jig that I almost lost in the grass when I cleaned the bolt with cab cleaner.(grin)
The pachmayr pre-fit pad for the remington 870 is almost a perfect fit.

Takes some sanding, but not much.
I have this first year production 30-06 model 760 for sale in the classifieds
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...mp;Number=2456045&page=0#Post2456045

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RoninPhx my story - 09/27/08
I work in a retirement area and last year I found a 760 manufactured in the 60's. The old boy who had owned it had put at best maybe one magazine through it. Just never used it, and it was in new condition. It was the carbine version.
I put a decelerator pad on it, a sling swivel et, not barrel mounted, and a low power leupold scope. Then I decided to load 220 grain round nose in 30.06 for it. I have not run it on a crony yet but think I am duplicating around a 30.40 kraig round.
At 100 two of us were able to get around 1inch moa.
And it is polite to shoot. Hopefully it will see a deer and a elk coming up here pretty quick. I have heard for ever about them being noisy and not accurate, but neither appear to be true at least with this one. A Very underrated rifle. And I paid about what one of the "new" remington kit guns with scope would run, but this 760 is a much superior weapon.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: my story - 09/27/08
the 760 shown above was sold locally today.

What do you lube the o-ring with? My o-ring really "sticks" when moving the slide.
I put the extension spray tube on my can of Remington drylube and spray down between the forearm tube and forearm hanger. I would not use silicon lube as it can deteriorate some rubber and plastics.
I put the extension spray tube on my can of Remington drylube and spray down between the forearm tube and forearm hanger. I would not use silicon lube as it can deteriorate some rubber and plastics.

thanks Dave. I took my 7600 apart last night. It is definitely the rubber o-ring causing the stickiness. I will try and get some of this lube locally but I am not confident any of the stores will have it. Anything else you would recommend?
Colin, anything with teflon in it but no silicon. Graphite would work too. If the O-ring is tacky and you can find another one the same size and type I'd replace it. BTW, never mix WD-40 and regular oil because it will make a sticky mess over time.

thanks Dave. I took my 7600 apart last night. It is definitely the rubber o-ring causing the stickiness. I will try and get some of this lube locally but I am not confident any of the stores will have it. Anything else you would recommend?

I use Rem-Oil on it...
thanks guys. I found that rem oil did not seem to help, it actually seem to make it more sticky if that makes any sense. I will try some teflon. Good shooting!
Your O ring might be swollen and in need of replacement.
get a new o ring. They have them at Gander Mt. in a little package. I think there are two for $1.00 or $2.00. Since you already have the gun apart, it's worth your time.
Kinda like the "Trailer Park Gun" thread going on here. Not a McSwirly amongst them, no turrets, & no bi-pods.

6 pages of totally un-cool fun. grin
"Trailer Park Gun"
LMAO
The trailer park gun would have to be NEF single shots.........perhaps Savage.
Always liked them, especially with the corn cob forend, but I've never hung on to one for long before it went down the round.

Maybe the next.
Kinda like the "Trailer Park Gun" thread going on here. Not a McSwirly amongst them, no turrets, & no bi-pods.

6 pages of totally un-cool fun. grin

Maybe we're an un-cool lot. shocked confused

But we're happy. laugh
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Always liked them, especially with the corn cob forend, but I've never hung on to one for long before it went down the round.

Maybe the next.

Ditto
I grew up in NW Pa and the Remmie pumps were popular. My big gro had one but I can't remember the caliber. May have been a 243 as that was his default deer caliber. I am thinking along the lines of looking for a carbine length 30-06 with the synthetic stock unless a smoking deal comes along on a wood stocked version. I looked at one last week and liked the handling of it.

Also saw recently a "police" version of the 7600 in 308 with a receiver sight and a 16 1/2" barrel and that was very handy looking.

Like those shorter barreled rifles for the slightly better handling but also like still having good punch for a longer shot.

Dang, just when I thought I had my hunting battery situated...

Be safe

Patty
Dang it, I just bought an ANIB 7600 carbine in 30-06. One of the ones with the synthetic stock and matte finish... I talked myself right into it. Bet you saw it coming. Now I need a big slug of different .308 bullets to load up.... Did I mention I really like 30-06.......

Need to find a mount for it and put a Leupold vxIII 1.5-5x on it that is just sitting on the shelf... Should be fun to blast away with.

Be safe

Patty
I use Talley light weight one-piece rings on my 7600.
You guys motivated me smile .

I went downstairs and pulled out my carbine from the safe. It's getting the nod for the opener this year. I haven't played with it in about a month so it's going to the woodlot with me tomorrow.

George
Well, my 7600 carbine came in and I am looking forward to mounting the scope tonight or tomorrow, as soon as I get some mounts. A very handy feel to it and I cycled several mags of loaded ammo through it snikety slick... The plastic stock looks, errr, plasticy but is a decent shape save for the cheek piece. The metal has matte finish has a coarse blasted feel to it and I like that.

I may add a thin pad to elevate my cheek a smidge. I will take a pix or 2 and try to post it comparing it to my Marlin 1894ss. The only pix now is:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111429873

It is about an inch longer than the Marlin and they feel about the same weight.

A spare mag or 2, run a couple hundred rounds through it sighting the scope in 1.5" high at 100 and the irons at 50 and call it ready for duty this year. Hoping for decent accuracy with 150/165's and 180/200's.

Going to try core lokt's as they are about $6 a box after rebate and may try the Federal power shoks as well as they have a rebate too that are about $7 a box, post rebate. I will likely wait till after deer season this year to work up some loads it likes unless I stumble onto a good deal on bullets. It would be nice if it shot 125/130's well too, but I have set the accuracy bar pretty low expectation wise. I'd welcome any pet loads for a 30-06 7600 that any of you may have sussed out.

I am going to use this as my main gun for deer this year when my big bro and I head to Pa. and will be used as a spare/trunk gun/backup in the future. It may replace the 1894ss as my general purpose blaster if it shoots well. We shall see about that.

More to come...

Be safe

Patty
[Linked Image][Linked Image] This is a bit different 7600. I had the trigger reworked, action engraved, & installed a 6X42 Leupold w.Premier Reticle. I used this gun to shoot 6 black bears & well over 100 boar/hogs. A 225/250G. Partition or X-bullet was used in hand loads. Functions beautifully.
Originally Posted by achildofthesky
Well, my 7600 carbine came in and I am looking forward to mounting the scope tonight or tomorrow, as soon as I get some mounts. A very handy feel to it and I cycled several mags of loaded ammo through it snikety slick... The plastic stock looks, errr, plasticy but is a decent shape save for the cheek piece. The metal has matte finish has a coarse blasted feel to it and I like that.

I may add a thin pad to elevate my cheek a smidge. I will take a pix or 2 and try to post it comparing it to my Marlin 1894ss. The only pix now is:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111429873

It is about an inch longer than the Marlin and they feel about the same weight.

A spare mag or 2, run a couple hundred rounds through it sighting the scope in 1.5" high at 100 and the irons at 50 and call it ready for duty this year. Hoping for decent accuracy with 150/165's and 180/200's.

Going to try core lokt's as they are about $6 a box after rebate and may try the Federal power shoks as well as they have a rebate too that are about $7 a box, post rebate. I will likely wait till after deer season this year to work up some loads it likes unless I stumble onto a good deal on bullets. It would be nice if it shot 125/130's well too, but I have set the accuracy bar pretty low expectation wise. I'd welcome any pet loads for a 30-06 7600 that any of you may have sussed out.

I am going to use this as my main gun for deer this year when my big bro and I head to Pa. and will be used as a spare/trunk gun/backup in the future. It may replace the 1894ss as my general purpose blaster if it shoots well. We shall see about that.

More to come...

Be safe

Patty

That's the exact same rifle I want with the same 1.5 Leupy. Just wondering if the new 7600's come with the new R3 recoil pads?
elelbean:

The recoil pad is not a R3, but a fairly dense rubberesque sort. I may change it out as it might be a rock when cold... With an '06 class cartrige, prolly not a big deal but if I can make life less jarring for $25 then it will get done. I believe the pad for most rem synths will work but I need to confirm that. I AM ordering the sling mount off the police model that mounts inplace of the fore end screw.

Be safe

Patty
[
That's the exact same rifle I want with the same 1.5 Leupy. Just wondering if the new 7600's come with the new R3 recoil pads?

Not the ones I've seen. The plastic stock, have a Limbs Saver that bolts right on I think.
Today, I am going to try and find a decent scope mount for the 7600 today and may settle for a standard rail from Weaver or leupold if nothing else jumps out at me. I really do want to use QD rings.

I was hefting the rifle again today, point and trying to use the open sights. Whelen Nut and oulufinn are right, it is difficult to impossible to get down on the irons with the synthetic stock at least... The comb catches up on the bottom of my cheekbone...

I took their recommendation and called remington this morning and spoke with a parts guy, not customer service. He confirmed that the 20ga stock (PN 202001) would fit and WAS the actual stock on the patrol/police rifle that has no comb rise. I had to ask about swapping and he giggled and said sorry we can't do that. Being the haggler I tried the tack of "any chance on a pro deal?" also the gambit of stating quite honestly I have bought 3 new Remington 700's in the past year and a half (BDL SS .338, BDL 25-06, Ti 30-06). He was looking at the part numbers and said hold a second.... He came back and asked if would I promise to send the present buttstock back if they sent me the one off the Patrol rifle (has sling stud installed too, yippee) with me paying the return shipping cost. I said absolutely I would. Very nice act of trust on Remingtons part. Very nice indeed.

While I had him on the line I ordered a couple of the sling swivel mounts that replace the fore end screw, 2 incase I stumble onto another rifle in the future for a smokin deal. This is the sling mount assembly from the patrol/police 7600. The part numbers if anyone is interested is: 202006 for the swivel mount assy/$5.40 and the spacer required for the swivel mount 202007/$3.00. Very inexpensive and proper for the rifle.

I am very pleased with the outcome of a simple call and have to give Remington 2 thumbs up for swapping the stock at no cost.

Be safe and remember that the answer to the unasked question is always no....

Patty
does the police stock have a cheek piece?

I don't know why the stocks are different on the plastic ones, but the deffenitaly are.
tzone:

No the police/patrol rifle does not have the cheekpiece but does have the sling swivel stud installed...

Be safe
Patty
Patty

Way to go! Nothing like a little sweet talk...LOL

Frankly, I'm impressed with Big Green actually doing that for you. Good to know their customer service is getting a bit better...well maybe just a wee bit.

I know you will like that rig better with the lower stock.

BTW--another option to consider for scope base/rings is what I have on a couple of my pumps--is the LOW Weaver Pivot mount/rings. I've used them for years with complete confidence. A good option if you want quick access to the irons.

WN

Plesase, just don't put the see-thru mounts on. If you do, leave that high cheek piece stock on it.
So far today, I picked up a basic Weaver mount for the rifle and put my new Leupold FXII 2.5 ultralight w/wide duplex on it. I went to (gag) buy some remmie ammo and the prices were up about $3 from last weekend so I got pissed and bought a box of 165gr Speer hot cores to try. I bought the Speer strictly on price point (least expensive in a 100 round box). I am first going to try IMR 4350 and if it goes well, great if not I have seen RL22 recommended in manuals. I am open to loads that folks have that are either 7600 specific or general 30-06 fodder. For now I will just be shooting paper this week and early Dec deer in western Pa...

Whelen Nut: My first rifle, a VZ24 based sporter had the swing over mounts and for a spell I reverser one so it wouldn't swing at all and it was stable enough.

tzone: I am not going with see throughs due to the concern you mention. i like a low mount with QD type mounts.

I am not sure if I will put my VXIII 1.5-5 on this or not. It is a beautiful scope and very sturdy but I will try the 2.5x first. If I get decent groups at 100 and can see well enough I will just use it. It is ultra compact and just over 1/2 the weight of the VXIII.

A fellow here had a Trijicon 1-4x or near that that looks like a perfect scope for my needs and I like the triangle reticle. His price seemed fair but I would have to sell my VXIII if I got that. My shooting budget is about used for this year...

Thanks and ideas, comments, suggestions, bitches, gripes and concerns are always welcome...

Be safe

Patty
I used the Warne return to zero detachable rings. midwayusa has the rings and one piece bases but I used the two piece bases that had to be special ordered.
achildofthesky, get the Trijicon. You won't be disappointed. I have one on my 7600 carbine and love it.

Dale
theere is actually a question on our camp application asking whether you own a Pump rifle or Marlin, savage, Browning, Winchester lever action. The questionwas put on the application as a joke a long time ago but has stuck. we don't "require" you to own one of the aforementioned rifles to join but I think everyone in camp atleast owns one if not hunts with one primarily.
257ROBT: I snoozed and loozed on the Trijicon... Oh well...
BPHC2: That is amusing. I recon Id make it on leverguns and now a pump...

Going to try and get some ammo loaded up today to try the -06 out. The next challenge will be to decide between the 2.5x scope or the 1.5x5... I guess the thought being able to get the job done well at all reasonable ranges with the 2.5x is appealing.

Be safe
Patty
Personal choice really. But I've had no trouble with a 2.5 power scope and rock throwing range.

Have a few 2x7's and like them a lot. Not much difference between the two.
My thought on the 2.5x is target acquisition time never changing due to the fixed power. But then again I may just be full of S#!%. The goal is a good, reasonably accurate (hopefully very accurate) quick handling rifle with good punch to be able to shoot to a long range for me anyway , say 250 perhaps a careful 300 yards if time is not a factor. I am not likely to need to shoot longer ranges but the ability to do so when there is adequate time is a plus. I am honest with my self about what is long range and I cant ever see taking a shot beyond 300yds... Mostly cuz I can't SEE detail that well at those distances as well as I would like. I think that for this rifle anyway, a big honking variable would be a hindrance in weight, and maneuverability. I have bolt actions that can be employed if I plan on longer range needs. Just my thoughts...

Be safe and shoot often

Patty
mike103:

I am using the Warne QD rings on the 2.5x now...

Hope to get to shoot today. I reloaded up 20 each 165gr speers over 55 & 56gr's of IMR4350 in Win brass, CCI #200 primers... I will also shoot some Hornady light mag's 165's I have had sitting on the shelf for a couple years and see how they group. I have a half box of core lokt 150's and about the same Fed 150's and win 180's... With a smidge of luck I will get an indication of potential with one or more of those loads. It would be swell to get around an inch at 100 yards.

Be safe
Patty
165's will make that thing a magic wand. makes the legs dissapear right out from under 'em.
Well, I got back a bit ago from shootin the -06. Sent about 35 downrange on a cool day with about a 5 knot wind. Walking the shots into the bull at 25 yards, check again at 50 and on to 100. With the 2.5 scope the best group (3 shot) was right at 1.5" at 100yds. I shoot off my range bag (camera bag) and don't use a bag for the rear of the rifle but support the butt with my left hand. Shooting in this manner automatically ejects the empties. Pretty sure I can get it a bit better with a more shooting and if I put the 1.5x5 on there I am certain I can shrink the groups. I noticed shooting 2 groups back to back seems to open things a bit.

Both the 55gr and 56gr of IMR 4350 shot about the same. The 18 1/2" barrel was somewhat loud but not obnoxiously so. The recoil pad on the rifle was plenty good enough with the temps in the upper 40's but I am guessing it will be more harsh below freezing, but I could be wrong... Still recoil was not a problem at all off the bench. I could easily shoot a hundred rounds without a problem at all.

More later this weekend.

So far, so fun...

Be safe

Patty
Boy 257ROBT has me thinking about the Trijicon scopes. I would love one on my 35 Rem carbine but they are expensive! Even the low power model is over 500 bucks!
Glad to be of help again spending your $$$ Mike. I was on another board and a few of the guys are talking about the Burris Fastfire.

http://burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

I guess that there was something similar in the new Benoit video.

I love my Trijicon and 35 Rem carbine. My dad laughs that I have a $1000 200yd rifle, and thats on a good day.

Dale
Well I broke down and put the VXIII 1.5x5 on the 7600 today. I may get to try it if the range ain't too jammed otherwise it will be later this week. While the 2.5 is super compact I wanted to see if the groups will shrink a smidge with the 1.5x5 on 5 due to better resolution and a finer aiming point. Besides I still have all those bullets to burn and I will try those Hornady light mag 165's I had lying around...

257ROBT: wish I had been able to see the Trijicon scope in person to see how the reticle sat with me. It is an intriguing scope in what ever power. All the benefits of a lighted reticle with out the potential hassle of batteries and electronics...

Be safe and sling hot lead

Patty
Glad to be of help again spending your $$$ Mike. I was on another board and a few of the guys are talking about the Burris Fastfire.

http://burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

I guess that there was something similar in the new Benoit video.

I love my Trijicon and 35 Rem carbine. My dad laughs that I have a $1000 200yd rifle, and thats on a good day.

Dale

Well I don't need help spending my money I was at Cabelas in
Hamburg PA today! Only picked up a few odds and ends.

But you have been a bad example!

I'm not changing anything this year. The 7600's in 35 Rem carbine, 35 Whelen, 257 Roberts, 7mm-08 Rem, and my sons 30-06 carbine are all ready to go with Nikon pro staff scopes.

Number one son has the 30-06 carbine and number two son will use the 35 Whelen.

Had to send the Monarch 3X9 on my 7400 30-06 back to Nikon it was not holding zero. Re-mounted it and had it bore sighted but have to shoot it next week.

Never made friends with the 7400 280 Rem carbine. First the rear sight broke, then it's replacement fell off and was lost. New sight on and had sling installed, we will see.

Bought a 7600 in 6mm Rem this year but don't plan on doing anything with it this year.

Almost time! Can't wait!

MIKE.
Mike, are those ProStaff's 2-7's by chance. How is the model holding up for you.

Dale
Mike, are those ProStaff's 2-7's by chance. How is the model holding up for you.

Dale

On the two carbines I have the 2X7's and on the rifles 3X9's.

No other reason other than they look more balanced.

No problems yet. MIKE.

Dale

I have a Prostaff 2-7 and it is OK. Not great, but OK. It holds up well to recoil and all that, but I'm just used to a Leupy 2-7 so it is one of my spares.

One good thing about it, is that it is the perfect size scope IMO. It fits a short action great, and looks right.

One more thing. You guys are a bunch of #&*&'s!! all this 7600 talk cost me $300 on friday. grin

Bought one NIB from a buddy. He won it a few years ago and niver shot it. Took it to the range and ran my standard load of Rem core lokts 165gr, and it didn't like them :sad: I ran some core lokt 150gr and it proceeded to shoot several .75" groups with them. smile smile smile Damn pumps, they never shoot well. grin
Happened to me too, talked my self in to a pretty useful tool I never thought much about but am pleased I got. Very pleased. I was going to use a Marlin 1894 and/or 336 for deer this year and while I still LOVE both of those rifles I think using my carbine'06 is just more suitable for most of my general and potential hunting needs.

Enjoy it tzone...

Be safe

Patty
My friends grandpa refers to the pumps as clunk-clunk guns. I think these clunkers are pretty darn useful if you give them a chance.

Dale
My friends grandpa refers to the pumps as clunk-clunk guns. I think these clunkers are pretty darn useful if you give them a chance.

I scored one of those "clunk-clunk" guns in 35Whelen on the CDN gun site last night. grin

This will be #4 in Whelen. I'm keeping this one for a change.

I scored one of those "clunk-clunk" guns in 35Whelen on the CDN gun site last night. grin

This will be #4 in Whelen. I'm keeping this one for a change.

that is a great find Paul. if you are interested in getting rid of that '06 let me know.

Dale

You will get no argument from me. At mid-day yesterday I decided to double check the sights on my T3 .308 and my 7600 .308 (with a 19 inch barrel). Tikka put 3 into 1.5 inch at 200 yards and the little 7600 put 3 into 2 inch at 200 yards. Not too shabby for a clunker! gotta love the 7600!
that is a great find Paul. if you are interested in getting rid of that '06 let me know.

Gimme a shout, but I'm starting a SD at the refinery working nights starting next week so am going under the radar for a bit.

Note to self and others:

Be sure to check the torque "tube nut" that holds the barrel to the receiver. It also functions as the guide for the forend. On a hunt last week I noticed that somehow mine had loosened on my 7600 carbine I recently got and allowed about 1/32 to 3/64th movement at the receiver! That translates to about 70+ inches of range of POI at 100yards... The gun shot 1" + or - the week before and I have no idea how it might have got loose in transport. I removed the tube nut thing, cleaned the threads, noting that there was NO sealant on the threads from the factory, and put a dollop of red locktite on the bugger and torqued it back down, good as new. Or maybe in this case better than new.

When I discovered the loosness I went to my backup Marlin 1894ss 44 mag that was thankfully stashed in the rig and went hunting again. BTW, the carrier on that got sticky after being totally reliable for 1000+ rounds shot by me in the last year. I am replacing the carrier on it as the little springloaded plunger pin on the carrier is the culprit...

When I started getting problems with the 1894 I borrowed my buddies 45-70 handi rifle! No problems there. But unfortunately no deer to shot on the trip. What a cluster .... weapon wise that trip. But overall I am pleased as it was a nice adventure seeing long lost friends and making a couple new ones...

Be safe and check the nut thing so you don't have that problem.

Patty
Well the NY deer season is over. Can't believe it went so fast.

Carried my 7600 in .35 Whelen the first weekend. Saw several does but no bucks.

Second weekend switched to the 7600 .35 Remington carbine. Boy the carbine carries better. I can't believe that 4" off the barrel make that much of a difference.

Plus the carbine has the O/U scope mount and my thumb fits under the scope ahead of the front scope ring allowing my hand to wrap around the receiver. Easier to carry than a standard low mounted scope.

Shot a spike that weekend. 3pm deer came in silent. Saw he had horns but he was 100 yards off through the trees. All he gave me was top of his shoulder. Had a good rest against a tree so I let it rip.

He danced backwards of his rear legs and fell into a big pile of brush. Got up and ran but he was veering to the right so I knew he wasn't going far. Piled up against a tree dead as a door nail. His lungs were jello. Man that .35 Remington hits harder than the balistic table would lead you to believe.

Planned to use the .257 Roberts or 7mm-08 Remington this year but I was worried that something light might not work now that we have bears in our area.

Going to be hard to leave the .35 Remington home in the future. Hits like a hammer and carries well.

MIKE.
Mike:

Congrats on putting meat in the freezer, Enjoy.

Patty
Mike, I see the 35 speaks again. Mine didn't make it to the woods this year. Wait, I didn't make it even. Decided to stay home, miss hunting season and tie some flies. I didn't miss much according to many hunters, yet there should have been 1.7 million according to our DNR.

Dale
Somebody on here posted some pics of a really nice custom 7600 on here not to long ago. Who was it?
RN

PM Skane

He can give you all the info.

WN
Yeah, but yer gonna wreck your keyboard...she's a beaut. Try to drooil off to the side. laugh
Childofthesky,
Per your question earlier about 30/06 loads: I have been using 46 gr. of IMR3031 behind either the Sierra #2130 Pro-Hunter or the Hornady #3031 Interlock. Both bullets are 150 gr. spitzers. CCI200 primers. About 2700fps and kill whitetails DRT! I've shot this combo for 20 years in over a dozen 06's and never found any of them that wouldn't flirt with 1" groups @ 100yds, whether bolt or pump. It just seems to work in everything. Real pleasant to shoot off sandbags also. One caution-these are standard cup-and-core bullets. If you shoot for the front shoulder, plan on tossing it away. The damage is impressive. With a double-lunger thru the ribcage most deer are down within 50 yds.

Enjoy that 7600. I have several and I always seem to grab one when it is time to "make meat".
Looking to pickup a 7600 as well. Should I get the wood or synthetic version?
Looking to pickup a 7600 as well. Should I get the wood or synthetic version?

I prefer walnut, but no matter either way. The good thing about the 2pc stock is that you don't get any warping from moisture.

I prefer the walnut stock as well. It does not matter one way or the other with the 7600. Even if the stock did swell.......teh barrel is completely free floated so you would not get pressure on it to change to point of impact. I have huntyed with my 7600 in all kinds of weather....including 3 day all out downpours. It has always kept zero.
the synthetic stocks don't seem to fit the same. Not sure what it is but there is something different about them. They seem sharper on the monte carlo part too.

I like the walnut.
the synthetic stocks don't seem to fit the same. Not sure what it is but there is something different about them.

The factory synthetic I had was shorter that the factory walnut. The comb felt thinner as well.

I wish Rem would put decent pads on the the walnuts instead of those hard plastic things,

In the 760 30-06 I had I used 54.5 gr of IMR 4350 under a 165gr bullet. Accurate and did the job.
I was at a gun show today and looked at a new Remington 7600 --.308 with a 18" tube on it. Syn. stock. --- very light for a pump. If I was a die hard pump man I would own one . Web
Dang this thread! I never thought I'd be much into the pumps, I'm more of a lever nut, but man this thread has got me wondering. I found several nice 760's for sale within my price range on gunbroker.

I wonder if I can squeeze one by the wife....
444Matt:

I too am ate up with lever guns in general, but really enjoy the 7600 carbine I bought last year, even with glitch from the factory where they didn't fasten the barrel assy properly to the receiver. Must have been a "Friday" rifle. I cleaned the retention threads, red locktited them a bit and torqued it down. Right back to zero + or - a tiny smidge. Mine has a Leupold VX III 1.5x5 matte I stripped off my old Co-Pilot 1895 and lemme tell you it is a fun gun. It is more accurate than I am...

Given the prices I see now I think I got REALLY lucky on GB. $330 new for a 7600 Synth carbine 30-06. Certainly not irreplaceable but not at the price I paid. Remington even swapped out the original high combed plastic fantastic stock for the one off the 308 patrol rifle. There are certainly nicer rifles but for a handy, cheap powerhouse carbine I can't really imagine replacing it. The cop stock has a rear sling stud and I ordered the super cool ball bearing front of the mag swivel for a sling.

Still I want another Marlin 1895. Mebbe a SBL or a LTDIII??? Hmmmm.

Be safe
Patty
My Evil Twin still would love to do a 760C (19") in 338/06 all matte wood/blue and have a Ashley on the front...grin

Dober
Can anyone recommend a "kit" or parts to tighten up the rails and/or slide action to help with the rattles in my 70's version 7600/06? Really like the rifle and it shoots about any ammo at about 1.50". It's just noisy, which may bother me more than what I'm hunting.

Thanks
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
My Evil Twin still would love to do a 760C (19") in 338/06 all matte wood/blue and have a Ashley on the front...grin

Dober

I'm not your evil twin Dober...but I want the same damn thing. crazy
Hi,

I'm using an 7600 in 35Whelen for three years now in France mostly tracking wild boars and stags. It's a carbine model with wood stock. With Federal 225grsTBBC cartridges and reloads with grs Hawk this 7600 is one shot stopper, speaking of game hunted in front of dogs and running under adrenaline. Five of my friends got one. All are equipped with Aimpoint 9000 red dot sight zeroed for hundred meters and 35 Whelen caliber. More than 80 pieces of game fall under these guns in 2 seasons.
Hi,

I'm using an 7600 in 35Whelen for three years now in France mostly tracking wild boars and stags. It's a carbine model with wood stock. With Federal 225grsTBBC cartridges and reloads with grs Hawk this 7600 is one shot stopper, speaking of game hunted in front of dogs and running under adrenaline. Five of my friends got one. All are equipped with Aimpoint 9000 red dot sight zeroed for hundred meters and 35 Whelen caliber. More than 80 pieces of game fall under these guns in 2 seasons.
Marseille, is the pump rifle you use considered odd where you hunt? Do other hunters consider you uncouth or unsporting? Good to hear from hunters around the world.

Hi like2shoot,

No i can't say that pump rifles are odds in France except near the german border where they are more german hunt minded". May be you don't know in the US that Remington keeps providing the french, greek and other southern Europe countries with 35Whelen pump and semi auto at a time they where not available in the US general catalog. They did the same thing for France with some Rem700 in 7-08.. We mostly practice driven hunt where game is pushed (flushed) by dogs. So we need rapid, precise (short range)and powerful rifles. The pumps are very fast, more reliable than semi auto (french hunters can be so-so on maintenance)and with the 35 Whelen or the 300Winch Mag (BrowningBPR)powerful enought to stop game. I must say that shot placement is the most important thing but on game running 35 to 40km/h it's often not so good so a powerful rifle with good bullets that give blood both side of target is a must. Minds are changing and more and more hunter's practice runnig boar target shooting and choose the bullets better. In the place we hunt we use also a lot of lever in 444,45-70(handloaded hot and heavy)and the new 450. I use a 45-70, 356 and next year my old 405 will come back to hunt with Hawk 300grs bullets.
Now hunting is over so go back to the loading bench and shooting range and try to follow your moto.
BR
Dominik
Dober: Think 30/06...carbine wink

Ain't nothin faster......
I have one in .30-06 and it's a great gun to have.
Marseille,

Is your 7600 in 35 Whelen a factory carbine or did you cut the barrel down yourself? There is a rumor that a "mythical" factory 35 Whelen carbine exists, yet none can be produced? My dad has a 35 Whelen he is going to be getting rid of and I am thinking of getting it and chopping it down to 18 1/2".

Dale
Dale, I don't know about a 7600 carbine in 35 Whelen but I spoke to the owner of 35cal.com. He is in Canada and he has a factory 7400 carbine in 35 Whelen.

And no it's not for sale and he says it shoots great and has no feeding issues.

Not to hijack this thread but since we are not getting our 358 Winchester from Grices anytime soon I'm thinking of switching to the Hornady leverevolution ammo for the 35 Remington.

What do you think?

MIKE.
Hi 257ROBT,

Was away from home for a week (european firearm show), sorry for delay. My 7600 Carbine is Remington made. Some batches were made for countries like France and Greece where they are in demand for wild boar hunting. In France we are not allowed to use 30-06 (lot of full automatic left over from WW2...)so Rem made 7600 in 35cal for us even when they where not on their general US cat.

Dom

I assume that the carbine barrel length is 18 1/2" (0.47 meters)?

Dale
Re-reading this thread has me hankering to start trying some more loads in my 7600 carbine and bump this back up for the pump gun fans out there. I have been picking up good to smokin deals on bullets as they emerge and have a fairly decent selection of fodder to try reloading:

Sierra 125 FP/HP (30-30)
Barnes 130 TTSX
Hornady 130 Spire Point (pistol)
Speer 130 HP
Speer 130 FP
Barnes 150 FP/HP TSX (30-30)
Speer 165 SP
Speer 180 SP
Sierra 220 RN

I still have several boxes/types of factory loaded stiff to play with but just havn't taken the time.

Rem Accelerator
Rem 125 gr
Rem 150
Win 150
Hornady 165gr Light Mag
Win 180 Fail safe

The loaded ammo was purchased a couple years back and was very nicely prices so I won't feel too bad if it isn't great in the 7600 as I have 2 30-06 bolt guns it can be tried in. I'd like to hear more from others ammo/load experiences, especially in 30-06 carbines.

Anybody else been developing loads for the 7600 lately? Remington has made another run of the Maple stocked rifles in a bunch of cool calibers for Grices I think it was (could be wrong on that one) and some of the lumber is really fine looking. It has seemed to bring the market for the "collectable" 7600's down with some market saturation.

Any updates on mods for availability of a enlarged mag and slide release button's? Someone's rifle shown here had a bigger safety rebutton that seemed like a good idea. it was larger on the right side to offer greater purchase for the release of the safety to the fire position. With gloves on, it makes sense to me for one. I'd love to smooth out the trigger but ain't willing to try it my self. Any good leads on the trigger jobs?

Lot's of great info in this thread and I am pleased I found a decent deal on mine. A very good woods rifle with better than expected accuracy. I may go visit a friend back in Pa this summer and do some scouting for next deer season. I will likely take the 7600 and pop some 'chucks while I am there.

Be safe all

Patty
I believe they made them in the mid-late 90's. IIRC, they came in a green plastic hard case made by Remington. The case was big and fairly useless, but the gun....well, you know about the gun.
Might as well bring this up again. Another 7600 is finding a way into my gun vualt. I scored a NIB 300 Savage last week.I've waited for 2 years for this rifle.

Dale
I have one coming in the mail...35 whelen 7600 factory carbine(shot show special from vegas)3 or 4 years ago...still NIB.
Cannot wait til it gets here!
I read about the products and services of Barnes Custom Gunsmithing. I have a Remington 7600 Synthetic 30-06 Carbine. I sent them the trigger group about 3 weeks ago, got it back from them today, stuck it back in my rifle and boy is it nice! $68.50 included return postage. I don't have any connection to Barnes other than this trigger job they just did for me. I can highly recommend Don Barnes and his crew at www.barnesgunparts.com.
Originally Posted by jobyjob
I read about the products and services of Barnes Custom Gunsmithing. I have a Remington 7600 Synthetic 30-06 Carbine. I sent them the trigger group about 3 weeks ago, got it back from them today, stuck it back in my rifle and boy is it nice! $68.50 included return postage. I don't have any connection to Barnes other than this trigger job they just did for me. I can highly recommend Don Barnes and his crew at www.barnesgunparts.com.

What is involved in taking out the trigger group?
From the site

PLEASE NOTE: SERVICE REQUIRES THAT "TRIGGER GROUP" ONLY BE SENT FOR SERVICE, SENDING OF COMPLETE FIREARM IS NOT REQUIRED ! (TRIGGER REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE).
Easy deal Rich. Just tap those two pins out on the side of the receiver and the trigger group just falls out. Just like on an 870. I think you have to slide the action open. Anyway, the trigger group just pulls out the bottom of the receiver in one piece. Send it to Barnes just the way it come out of the receiver. Nothing to it, even for the likes of me!
Originally Posted by bridgetowner
I have one coming in the mail...35 whelen 7600 factory carbine(shot show special from vegas)3 or 4 years ago...still NIB.

Factory carbine?

Boy I would love to get my hands on one of those!

Factory carbine?

Yup the seller states that its a Factory with "Carbine" stamped on it...(not Chopped from 22")Apparently at the shot show in vegas a few years back Epps in Ontario Canada put an order in and a few months later 6 showed up and this guy found out about them and bought 2 of them! Can't wait to get er!!!

Factory carbine?

Yup I Received the Rifle in mail today...Carbine written right on the barrel!! What A Rare Beauty!! Very Pleased!!! I'll NEVVVVER part with this one....looked to long and hard for one, and it being still NIB is Awesome!!!

Factory carbine?

Yup I Received the Rifle in mail today...Carbine written right on the barrel!! What A Rare Beauty!! Very Pleased!!! I'll NEVVVVER part with this one....looked to long and hard for one, and it being still NIB is Awesome!!!

Yes what a rare find indeed! The guy that owns 35cal.com told me about these rifles. I think he said he sold the one he had but I can't remember.

I'm trying to make a trade for a 750 carbine in 35 Whelen with a SP-10 that I have that I never shoot. My son has staked out his claim for my 7600 35 Whelen rifle.

Enjoy you new rifle.

MIKE.
I see the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 is a popular scope for the 7600. For a brush gun, do you guys prefer the regular or heavy duplex?
My wife inherited one from her father in .243, it will outshoot many bolt rifles in my safe. There I said it! frown
whelennut
For those in the USA who doubt about the real 7600,7400 and 750 carbines here are 3 750 in 35 Whelen with Bushnell red dot sight that i pre-zeroed for 3 hunters who mostly hunt wild boars in driven hunt under heavy cover and thick bushes. We always had carbines available in 35 in France even when not on the original US Remington catalog. Here this caliber is really liked in "battue" mostly in the south.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

No flies on the 7600 IMHO. We bought this one years back for my brother, who is a lefty. It has been used quite a bit.
Barrel is to long for my taste. 20" should be plenty for the .308 Win.

No problems encountered - feeding and extracting is fine. Accuracy easily good enough for the hunting the rifle is used for (note the 2,5x Weaver).

I also have a Rem. 750 Carbine in .30-06. They have changed the magazines. The follower now actes as bolt stop.

So / So impression in the field for me, so far.

Grandpop and Son...

The 14 is all original mfg 1931 35 Rem.

I have hunted for years with a Marlin 35 Rem. but I think the 760 will be going out with me from now on..

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

What is involved in taking out the trigger group?

Just a couple pins in the reciever, and moving the "cocking bar" enough to get the trigger out. Simple, if I can get it out withoug buggerin anything up, I know you can.
Much better than a 336.
I see the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 is a popular scope for the 7600. For a brush gun, do you guys prefer the regular or heavy duplex?

Heavy.
Originally Posted by Marseille
For those in the USA who doubt about the real 7600,7400 and 750 carbines here are 3 750 in 35 Whelen with Bushnell red dot sight that i pre-zeroed for 3 hunters who mostly hunt wild boars in driven hunt under heavy cover and thick bushes. We always had carbines available in 35 in France even when not on the original US Remington catalog. Here this caliber is really liked in "battue" mostly in the south.

Interesting stocks on those carbines Marseille. In particular, the foregrips. Never seen any foregrips like that on the 7600 before.

[Linked Image]
Hi Gang
I do not know if it has been posted before but Timney makes a trigger/spring assy #870 for the remington 870 pump that also works on the 760/7600.
check it out on their website and click on the reviews tab for more info.
For a good trigger job contact:
Gary Sullivan
276-859-0003
[email protected]

He does good work at a very reasonable price. All you have to send is the trigger assembly.
I guess Ill be the one to resurrect this thread. I actually joined the campfire because of this thread!

I put a down payment on a 760 in .35 rem today so I will be joining the brotherhood.

Questions//

What type of lube should I use on my slide so that I dont damage my O ring?

Ive noticed most of you use scope but Im an open sights kind of guy. What kind of accuracy are you open sighters getting?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the campfire. Congrats on your purchase.

Right now I use Remington Drylube. I wouldn't use silicone based oil because some plastic/rubber compounds aren't compatable with it. I wouldn't shoot carb cleaner or products like Gun Scrubber on the O ring.

I've always used a scope on the 760 I had and on my 7600 I have now.
Welcome to the campfire. Congrats on your purchase.

Right now I use Remington Drylube. I wouldn't use silicone based oil because some plastic/rubber compounds aren't compatable with it. I wouldn't shoot carb cleaner or products like Gun Scrubber on the O ring.

I've always used a scope on the 760 I had and on my 7600 I have now.

Thanks and thanks! Ive just always been a die hard iron sighter and was curious if I was the only one.
Redneck - "my only beef with them are the magazines which can cause issues from time to time and replacing one's a spendy proposition...." I've priced checked them at approx. $25 each. Tikka mags run $72-75 ea. for "polymer" i.e. plastic...OUCH!
Mr. Murphy states if you only have one (1)mag you'll lose or misplace it...for sure! Regarards, Hometeader.
The 760/7600 rifles are the easiest to get a scope mounted in my experience. I have a cleaning/maint. vice and I get the rifle level by using a magnetic torpedo level on the receiver and I use the vertical grids in a window to get the scope plumb.
I have a 270 caliber Remington 7600 that I have owned for at least 28 years. When I was a teen it rode with me in the truck and was beat around a lot. I used to shoot a box a week through it and to be honest I didn't clean it very often. Never jammed or had a misfire. The only problem I ever had with it was that it nicked the tip of the bullet every time I put one in the chamber. This nick never seemed to cause a problem with accuracy but it always bugged me. has anyone else ever had this problem with their 7600? I have not shot this gun in about 22 years. I plan on taking it to a gunsmith to have it cleaned and lubed. Future plans are to shoot it in riflegolf and start hunting again.
Originally Posted by CRS
he shoots left handed (left eye dominant).

ok, I read through the whole book (er, thread) and saw little further reference to this p. 1 comment.

I, too, am 'handicapped' i.e. right-handed, left-eye dominant. I was considering a 30-06 7600 to mount on my left shoulder. My worry/concern is right-side ejection -> across my face.

Does your 7600 eject forward/sideways/backwards? ... or every which way, depending upon how it feels? <G>
How does a left-side-mounted pump (or right-side ejecting lever) solution work out for south-paws?

I am interested in comments/observations, regarding this 'problem' workaround.

... or should I just [bleep]?

Thanks - in advance - for whatever insights.
Empties are tossed rearward. I wouldn't be comfortable ejecting shells across my face if I were wrong handed. (I'd stick to tennis & baseball)
DMc

When you thought you'd seen everything:
[Linked Image]

...and more fun:
[Linked Image]
This helped out a lot. I am picking up my 7600 30-06 tomorrow.
Originally Posted by DMc
[Linked Image]

Sorry, but this one hurts the eyes. smile

Shooting the pumps lefty is not a problem , the brass will never touch you . Besides , you aren't flinging them out like a semi auto . They are the closest thing you'll find to an ambedexteras repeater . In fact Remington offered them in a lefty BDL back in the sixtys . I still have a couple of the jumbo lefthanded safetys . They stopped making them for liability reasons ! Which was wise on their part . Whenever I see one at auction set up for lefty I'll pm the seller to make sure he is cognisant of the potential danger of selling it that way . There are very few smiths that will switch them over to lefty anymore . When I switched my sons to lefty I made him promise me that he would never let anyone else use that rifle !!
Originally Posted by DMc
[Linked Image]

Sorry, but this one hurts the eyes. smile

It's pretty for sure , but too much drop in that stock for me !
It's an optical illusion. The drop is exactly the same as the factory stock without a comb. (See the carbine above).
I was thinking of sending it to Ingwe for a test run on the much anticipated leopard print rattle can paint job he's promising!
Thx for chiming in.
DMc
Just found this thread. I thought it deserved resurrection...
Bump for this awesome thread. Just spent the last couple of days browsing through the different comments.

My father gave me a 7600 30'06 when I was 15 years old, I still have the rifle in my safe. As a somewhat lanky 15 year old the unpadded walnut stock would crush my shoulder. Has anyone had success installing a custom butt pad?

Also, does everyone experience the same "automatic decocking" when shooting from a rest? (The rifle pumps itself through the recoil)

Is there anyway to tighten up the somewhat loose forend? The side to side movement kinda bugs.
I have a 7600 carbine in 35 Whelen. I typically try to milk as much HP as I can out of that short barrel so recoil can get a little stout. But very barable. I have fairly short arms and with a wool coat on the l.o.p. Was a little long so I cut my stock down then did a grind to fit lim saver pad. It's an awesome improvement.

[Linked Image]

Gorgeous rifle, custom fitted butt pad?
Here's an "Amish Machine Gun", a Rem 760 BDL Deluxe, complete with "see-thru: scope mounts and a period-correct Bushnell banner. It belonged to an elderly neighbor for his annual Deer Camp week in PA. It mostly sat in the gunrack as the cards were dealt and the beer consumer. You can see bluing isn't even worn off the action rails. $540 shipped to anyone interested.

[Linked Image]
Check out the Benoit brothers books and videos on tracking huge Maine whitetails. They use only 760s, 30/06s and .270s. they kill the hell out of 200 plus lb. bucks. Most shots are at running bucks.
Originally Posted by Biebs
Here's an "Amish Machine Gun", a Rem 760 BDL Deluxe, complete with "see-thru: scope mounts and a period-correct Bushnell banner. It belonged to an elderly neighbor for his annual Deer Camp week in PA. It mostly sat in the gunrack as the cards were dealt and the beer consumer. You can see bluing isn't even worn off the action rails. $540 shipped to anyone interested.

[Linked Image]

Biebs that ain't bad at all considering AGE & Condition. I'd be interested IF were not already PUMPED up.

Good looking rig.

Jerry
How rare is the 6mm Rem. in the 760? There is one at a local pawn shop looks to be in good condition. I believe it had a scope on it (been a while since I handled it). However, I was in there this past week and it was still on the rack at the shop. They have $500 on it and I don't think the scope was a high dollar one. Might have been a NIkon ProStaff, not sure. I would think the 6mm would be a little harder to find.
R 77 S

I'm not sure about the #s in the 6mm but a 6mm in the Model Six is a LOW production unit.

IMO - if you like the 6mm R and you like the condition of that gun.... I'd give $500. pretty quick. Pawn Shop ? Haggle, Haggle, Haggle.

Jerry

ps - Search the Deer Hunting Forum, "Pump Rifles and Deer" . 2014-2015- There was a long thread - many pages - There were many participants beside myself. MagMarc, SKane, Whelen Nut, et.al.
There was a list from the manuf of Rem 760s by caliber & Model Sixs by caliber.

The 6mm in Model 6 was produced in @ 1000 .

Jerry
I have had several over the years. My personal opinion is that there are just no better "lines" for a rifle. It looks as good as it shoots...most of the time. I did have one of the last of the 760's in 270 that had a bad barrel. I rebarreled it to a 260. It is nice to be able to seat the bullet out where it needs to be for best accuracy. I always change the sear spring and do a trigger job. I have never had a problem with reliability or function in any of them.
Had a chance to get a Model Six a few years back. When I finally realized the significance of the rifle I went to scarf up on it and of course it was already gone. My favorite one now is a 7600 with the engraved receiver, it shoots lights out and I am hopeful I will kill a bear with it this year.
Originally Posted by kowalski

[Linked Image]

Gorgeous rifle, custom fitted butt pad?

Thanks ...... It was my grandfather's rifle.

Yes, the pad was added later. ....... For some reason, Remington hasn't figured out how to get a recoil pad and sling swivels on a 760/7600. <eye roll>
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
How rare is the 6mm Rem. in the 760? There is one at a local pawn shop looks to be in good condition. I believe it had a scope on it (been a while since I handled it). However, I was in there this past week and it was still on the rack at the shop. They have $500 on it and I don't think the scope was a high dollar one. Might have been a NIkon ProStaff, not sure. I would think the 6mm would be a little harder to find.

It's uncommon.
Originally Posted by jwall
R 77 S
Jerry

ps - Search the Deer Hunting Forum, "Pump Rifles and Deer" . 2014-2015- There was a long thread - many pages - There were many participants beside myself. MagMarc, SKane, Whelen Nut, et.al.
There was a list from the manuf of Rem 760s by caliber & Model Sixs by caliber.

The 6mm in Model 6 was produced in @ 1000 .

Jerry

The following re post is from Deer Hunting Forum - Pump Rifles and Deer - P 17, out of 105 pages.

--------------------------
"Marc

According to Eugene Myszkowski's book, Remington Autoloading & Pump-Action Rifles, Remington's production numbers for the Model 6 totaled 36,236 which included three engraved models.

The breakdown by caliber: '06/50.2%, 270/29%, 243/10.3%, 308/7.6%, 6mm/2.9%.

Jerry-that 6mm you have is, indeed, one of just a tad over 1000."
-----------------------------------------

I haven't found the #s on the 760s but it's in that thread. MagMarc is the OP, started on 12-26-2015
Last post was 12-14-2016

I'll BUMP the thread UP in Deer Hunting Forum, it'll be on P 1 when I bump it and I'll bump Page 1 of that thread. That'll save a lot of searching. Lots of info and pix.

Jerry
Thanks again, Mr. Jerry! Have started reading it and will continue asap. Very kind of you to take the time to find it! Eddie
Bump for this awesome thread. Just spent the last couple of days browsing through the different comments.

My father gave me a 7600 30'06 when I was 15 years old, I still have the rifle in my safe. As a somewhat lanky 15 year old the unpadded walnut stock would crush my shoulder. Has anyone had success installing a custom butt pad?

Also, does everyone experience the same "automatic decocking" when shooting from a rest? (The rifle pumps itself through the recoil)

Is there anyway to tighten up the somewhat loose forend? The side to side movement kinda bugs.

Welcome to the Campfire Kowalski. I had a 1" Pachmayr Decellerator installed on my 7600 30-06 Carbine, any gunsmith can do it if you're not comfortable doing it your self.
As far as the "automatic decocking", I assume you're talking about the fact that it ejects the brass by itself when you fire it off a bench rest. I had the same issue and I overcame it by putting a soft sofa pillow between the front bag and the fore end and holding the fore end with my left hand. It also tightened up my groups.

Hell yes it's easy to install a "butt pad". I put recoil pads on mine. smile I just had my one put on my son's. It's a pachmeyer decelerator. He's 12 and has no issues shooting it.

Yes, the recoil opens your action a bit.

Yes, a screwdriver.
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

Considering the scope is worth $75-100, that's a pretty good buy on that rifle. They're not common in that caliber but I wouldn't say they're rare.
I have been looking at adding a rifle with a little more range than my .35 rem and .45-70 for moose hunting,seeing as I am a lefty I have started looking into the Rem 7600 in 35 whelen or a .3006.I am only looking at extendng my range to say 350 yards max for that one tme I may need it.

I am almost ready to buy the 35 whelen with syntheic furniture in the carbine model.I am so close clicking the sold button,I will be mounting a scope and I plan on shooting 225 gr federal trophy bond vital shock bear claw ammo.
Originally Posted by Moosie_4570
I have been looking at adding a rifle with a little more range than my .35 rem and .45-70 for moose hunting,seeing as I am a lefty I have started looking into the Rem 7600 in 35 whelen or a .3006.I am only looking at extendng my range to say 350 yards max forthat one tme I may need it.

I am almost ready to buy the 35 whelen with syntheic furniture in the carbine model.I am so close clicking the sold button,I will be mounting a scope and I plan on shooting 225 gr federal trophy bond vital shock bear claw ammo.

You'll get everything you want in the 7600 and ammo you plan to use. Hope you grab one!
I am just waiting to hear back from the shop,then I am going to send him half now and the rest next week for the 35 whelen carbine in black synthetic.I like the look of the wood furniture better on the .3006 but I can always purchase a set of wood furniture down the road and seeing as it is always nasty weather up moose hunting and I wont feel bad if I mark the synthetic up. We are also starting to apply for the elk hunt starting next year so It will give me another option for them as well.I like "different" calibers anyway and seeing as I can locate ammo for it easy enough I am leaning hard to the 35 whelen over the 3006.
You'll like it. I have the plain wood/blued 22" Whelen and it is a slick rifle in the woods. I love the way they point and accuracy with them is a no brainer. They all seem to shoot excellent.
I am sure I would like either.I would like to nab a slightly used .3006 for half of what I will pay for the new 35 whelen.I am going to keep holding out for a few more days and probably make my final decision later in the week.I can get .30-06 ammo everywhere and anywhere in any big store or small store all throughout ontario,I can get 35 whelen ammo but I believe it is sparse,as I have never heard of anybody shooting that caliber,ever.The .30-06,.308,.30-30,.270's are everywhere and my uncle has been shooting the 7600 in .30-06 for 35 years and taken a handful of moose and his whitetails every year,he once told me he has never had a jam,misfire or a single issue with his gun.

I am primarily picking this gun up for moose/elk hunting and maybe the odd bear or whitetail hunt as when I do rifle hunt I use my .35 rem for deer 99% of the time I am not carrying my .50 cal black powder.
I'd even consider the .308 as I know they work well as my father hunted with a .308 for 25 years and killed numerous bulls and a few giants with his blr in .308.I actually purchased my .45-70 hoping I would use it for all my moose hunting but It is ok,I just want some more range and another option in the cabinet to take.
I have been looking at adding a rifle with a little more range than my .35 rem and .45-70 for moose hunting,seeing as I am a lefty I have started looking into the Rem 7600 in 35 whelen or a .3006.I am only looking at extendng my range to say 350 yards max for that one tme I may need it.

Do it!!!
The 35 whelen carbine that "Big Woods Bucks" had built,the 100 of them are an outstanding looking firearm.I like my wood stock and forends on my lever collection and I am partial to them on all my rifles but It looks like I am going to go with the 35 whelen carbine synthetic unless something pops up real soon as I am getting antsy to make the decision.
I have sent the two local stores that I deal with for ammo an email asking about 35 whelen ammo,if either has or can bring it in and supply me then I will buy the 35 whelen,however if they can not I will end up with a .308,or more than likely the .30-06 because I can get ammo for them anywhere and I have no interest in reloading and also have no interest in paying over $40.00 to have two boxes of ammo shipped I checked and that is what It costs to come from an online shop out west.I can't find any other shops online in ontario with it,I assume there are and lots of other shops with it but I am not willing to take a $1200 chance.
I just got a reply from a shop that I use the odd time a few hours away,7 different types in stock right now and he always has at least 5 as It is a popular caliber in his area.That is great news for me.I am going to try and send a 50% deposit on a new 35 whelen carbine either later this evening or tomorow morning.
I just got a reply from a shop that I use the odd time a few hours away,7 different types in stock right now and he always has at least 5 as It is a popular caliber in his area.That is great news for me.I am going to try and send a 50% deposit on a new 35 whelen carbine either later this evening or tomorow morning.

That’s great news. I suspect the plain old Remington 250’s would work fine for you as well. With Federal being the top pick. Glad you’re going to give it a shot. I like mine quite a lot.
They have the Rem 250's they are almost 20 dollars more than the Federal vital shock 225 trophy bond,not that that is a big deal.I may end up shooting the 250's. I will be putting a compact scope on it this summer as well.
Shoot, if the Federal is that much cheaper there is no way I wouldn’t use them. They’re twice the bullet of the Core Lokt.
I am still looking at a few levers before I make my final decision,as I am a lever guy for over 30 years.I just want to make sure I make the right choice.
I think the 7600 35 whelen would be a perfect match to go with my .45-70 sbl for moose and elk.I would run the 35 whelen in areas where I may encounter a longer shot over 150 yards and run the .45-70 in thick areas with shots up to 150 yards.
The Federals(41.99) are exactly 15 dollars cheaper a box and 18 dollars cheaper than 200 gr core lokts,the rem 250's are the high performance,so it says in ad and on box in picture.
I'd pick the federals 10 times out of 10 over the Remingtons.
I agree,I would too.I still can't decide as I have purchased half a dozen turkey shotguns the last 3 months and already have a ton of rifles.I really want to just buy one for moose/elk "long range" I can't ever see myself taking a shot over 350 yards and definitly never over 400. I would prefer to keep them at 250 and under. I am tempted with a blr,tikka bolt as well as the rem 7600 for the purchase.It sucks not being able to shoulder the 35 whelen with synthetic stock before I made the purchase,I can test all the other ones I am interested in locally.The Rem 7600 is $1105 after taxes and shipping Canadian.I would be about 300 dollars more with a tikka or blr.
I also came upon a rem 7600 .270 in synthetic with the monte carlo stock almost brand new for just over 600 dollars.I have always kicked around the idea of a .270.
I am going to make an offer if he gets back to me,it is a shop.99% 3 shots fired fom it.I could make it work for what I want.I have a buddy who uses a .270 and has killed moose,elk,deer,etc with his.He told me to jump on it if I can get it for what I am going to offer.
I also came upon a rem 7600 .270 in synthetic with the monte carlo stock almost brand new for just over 600 dollars.I have always kicked around the idea of a .270.

That’s one of my other favorite cartridges as well. I just picked up a 760 in 270 as well. I believe that’ll get set up for my brother though. I’ve got a 7600 in 280 so it’d play hell getting field time.
I will buy it today if they will go a little lower,I get sick of paying tax on something used.F the government.If I can get it for what they are asking without tax and shipping.I am in.
I will buy it today if they will go a little lower,I get sick of paying tax on something used.F the government.If I can get it for what they are asking without tax and shipping.I am in.

The Whelen is tailor made for moose in the under 400 category, easily. Big, full frontal area bullets make it a whomper. Nothing an 06 or 270 won’t do fine but it does have the ability to drill bigger holes and isn’t really abusive to get there either.
I have heard the 'Amish Machine Gun' term before as well, LOL.

Originally Posted by smay
I have a 270 caliber Remington 7600 that I have owned for at least 28 years. When I was a teen it rode with me in the truck and was beat around a lot. I used to shoot a box a week through it and to be honest I didn't clean it very often. Never jammed or had a misfire. The only problem I ever had with it was that it nicked the tip of the bullet every time I put one in the chamber. This nick never seemed to cause a problem with accuracy but it always bugged me. has anyone else ever had this problem with their 7600? I have not shot this gun in about 22 years. I plan on taking it to a gunsmith to have it cleaned and lubed. Future plans are to shoot it in riflegolf and start hunting again.

I've used 7400s for decades and they did the same thing, particularly with PSP bullets having a lot of exposed lead at the tip. I think it's just a side effect of the magazine/barrel ramp design and mine all shot fine regardless.
I will know by end of day,If these people do not get back to me by closing time.I will buy the 35 whelen instead.I am ok with recoil.I am a bigger guy and have been shooting 3.5" turkey loads for awhile and .45-70's for 12 years.I am a little worried about locating 35 whelen ammo locally,or by chance I forget or lose it up in the middle of Northern ontario or Northern Bc,with the .30-06,.270 or .308 most small shops or bigger stores will have it,or at the very least a fellow hunting group member or another hunter in the area would have a few shells he could spare.
He told me 750 to my door,I told him...bye bye...I will buy new. I am not paying anybody tax on anything used.I am tired of this country and their crooked government bending us over.F them.
Ok,so I have now narrowed it down to the rem 7600 .30-06 22" with wood furniture or the 35 whelen 18.5" with synthetic furniture.They both have things I like about them.I do believe the .30-06 to be the far more versatile caliber and easy to locate and fairly cheap,and I also love the look of the wood furniture but I do like the 18.5" barrel and that the 35 whelen is a "different" caliber. I am kind of stuck on which gun would be better.
If you’re at all worried about ammo the 30-06 is your baby. I don’t sweat losing ammo or forgetting my ammo, and stock pile what I need. But if you want easy the 06 is probably a better idea.
I did end up with a remington.30-06 but it is a 700 lefty bolt.I could not pass it up for what I paid for it.I am going to keep my eyes open for a rem 7600 .308 later this year though.
Ok,so I have now narrowed it down to the rem 7600 .30-06 22" with wood furniture or the 35 whelen 18.5" with synthetic furniture.They both have things I like about them.I do believe the .30-06 to be the far more versatile caliber and easy to locate and fairly cheap,and I also love the look of the wood furniture but I do like the 18.5" barrel and that the 35 whelen is a "different" caliber. I am kind of stuck on which gun would be better.

I like synthetic stocks for hunting in lousy weather which is standard fare here.

I have a synthetic 7400 and thanks to the exaggerated Monte Carlo on the plastic models, couldn't acquire the irons w/o rolling my cheekbone up on the stock and getting whacked every time; so I ground that SOB off. It's now the softest-shooting '06 I've ever fired and 40-50 rounds in a sleeveless t-shirt is no big deal.

I also love the Whelen and 358 Winchester; but the 30-06 is no slouch and as noted here you can feed it anywhere.
I ended up not getting the Rem 700 and I have sent a guy with a beautiful 7600 35 whelen,wood stock and engraving of animals on both sides a message to buy the gun he is selling.I am hoping to hear back shortly before work.It is a beautiful looking gun and would make my day to land it.This is the gun I want to buy 110%.
© 24hourcampfire