Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Check out the Benoit brothers books and videos on tracking huge Maine whitetails. They use only 760s, 30/06s and .270s. they kill the hell out of 200 plus lb. bucks. Most shots are at running bucks.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Biebs
Here's an "Amish Machine Gun", a Rem 760 BDL Deluxe, complete with "see-thru: scope mounts and a period-correct Bushnell banner. It belonged to an elderly neighbor for his annual Deer Camp week in PA. It mostly sat in the gunrack as the cards were dealt and the beer consumer. You can see bluing isn't even worn off the action rails. $540 shipped to anyone interested.

[Linked Image]

Biebs that ain't bad at all considering AGE & Condition. I'd be interested IF were not already PUMPED up.

Good looking rig.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How rare is the 6mm Rem. in the 760? There is one at a local pawn shop looks to be in good condition. I believe it had a scope on it (been a while since I handled it). However, I was in there this past week and it was still on the rack at the shop. They have $500 on it and I don't think the scope was a high dollar one. Might have been a NIkon ProStaff, not sure. I would think the 6mm would be a little harder to find.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
R 77 S

I'm not sure about the #s in the 6mm but a 6mm in the Model Six is a LOW production unit.

IMO - if you like the 6mm R and you like the condition of that gun.... I'd give $500. pretty quick. Pawn Shop ? Haggle, Haggle, Haggle.

Jerry

ps - Search the Deer Hunting Forum, "Pump Rifles and Deer" . 2014-2015- There was a long thread - many pages - There were many participants beside myself. MagMarc, SKane, Whelen Nut, et.al.
There was a list from the manuf of Rem 760s by caliber & Model Sixs by caliber.

The 6mm in Model 6 was produced in @ 1000 .

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/24/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have had several over the years. My personal opinion is that there are just no better "lines" for a rifle. It looks as good as it shoots...most of the time. I did have one of the last of the 760's in 270 that had a bad barrel. I rebarreled it to a 260. It is nice to be able to seat the bullet out where it needs to be for best accuracy. I always change the sear spring and do a trigger job. I have never had a problem with reliability or function in any of them.
Had a chance to get a Model Six a few years back. When I finally realized the significance of the rifle I went to scarf up on it and of course it was already gone. My favorite one now is a 7600 with the engraved receiver, it shoots lights out and I am hopeful I will kill a bear with it this year.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kowalski
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I've used a Leup 1.5x5 on my Carbine for years. It's perfect!

[Linked Image]

Gorgeous rifle, custom fitted butt pad?

Thanks ...... It was my grandfather's rifle.

Yes, the pad was added later. ....... For some reason, Remington hasn't figured out how to get a recoil pad and sling swivels on a 760/7600. <eye roll>

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
How rare is the 6mm Rem. in the 760? There is one at a local pawn shop looks to be in good condition. I believe it had a scope on it (been a while since I handled it). However, I was in there this past week and it was still on the rack at the shop. They have $500 on it and I don't think the scope was a high dollar one. Might have been a NIkon ProStaff, not sure. I would think the 6mm would be a little harder to find.

It's uncommon.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
R 77 S
Jerry

ps - Search the Deer Hunting Forum, "Pump Rifles and Deer" . 2014-2015- There was a long thread - many pages - There were many participants beside myself. MagMarc, SKane, Whelen Nut, et.al.
There was a list from the manuf of Rem 760s by caliber & Model Sixs by caliber.

The 6mm in Model 6 was produced in @ 1000 .

Jerry

The following re post is from Deer Hunting Forum - Pump Rifles and Deer - P 17, out of 105 pages.

--------------------------
"Marc

According to Eugene Myszkowski's book, Remington Autoloading & Pump-Action Rifles, Remington's production numbers for the Model 6 totaled 36,236 which included three engraved models.

The breakdown by caliber: '06/50.2%, 270/29%, 243/10.3%, 308/7.6%, 6mm/2.9%.

Jerry-that 6mm you have is, indeed, one of just a tad over 1000."
-----------------------------------------

I haven't found the #s on the 760s but it's in that thread. MagMarc is the OP, started on 12-26-2015
Last post was 12-14-2016

I'll BUMP the thread UP in Deer Hunting Forum, it'll be on P 1 when I bump it and I'll bump Page 1 of that thread. That'll save a lot of searching. Lots of info and pix.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks again, Mr. Jerry! Have started reading it and will continue asap. Very kind of you to take the time to find it! Eddie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bump for this awesome thread. Just spent the last couple of days browsing through the different comments.

My father gave me a 7600 30'06 when I was 15 years old, I still have the rifle in my safe. As a somewhat lanky 15 year old the unpadded walnut stock would crush my shoulder. Has anyone had success installing a custom butt pad?

Also, does everyone experience the same "automatic decocking" when shooting from a rest? (The rifle pumps itself through the recoil)

Is there anyway to tighten up the somewhat loose forend? The side to side movement kinda bugs.

Welcome to the Campfire Kowalski. I had a 1" Pachmayr Decellerator installed on my 7600 30-06 Carbine, any gunsmith can do it if you're not comfortable doing it your self.
As far as the "automatic decocking", I assume you're talking about the fact that it ejects the brass by itself when you fire it off a bench rest. I had the same issue and I overcame it by putting a soft sofa pillow between the front bag and the fore end and holding the fore end with my left hand. It also tightened up my groups.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 06/26/17.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Bump for this awesome thread. Just spent the last couple of days browsing through the different comments.

My father gave me a 7600 30'06 when I was 15 years old, I still have the rifle in my safe. As a somewhat lanky 15 year old the unpadded walnut stock would crush my shoulder. Has anyone had success installing a custom butt pad?

Also, does everyone experience the same "automatic decocking" when shooting from a rest? (The rifle pumps itself through the recoil)

Is there anyway to tighten up the somewhat loose forend? The side to side movement kinda bugs.

Hell yes it's easy to install a "butt pad". I put recoil pads on mine. smile I just had my one put on my son's. It's a pachmeyer decelerator. He's 12 and has no issues shooting it.

Yes, the recoil opens your action a bit.

Yes, a screwdriver.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

Considering the scope is worth $75-100, that's a pretty good buy on that rifle. They're not common in that caliber but I wouldn't say they're rare.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have been looking at adding a rifle with a little more range than my .35 rem and .45-70 for moose hunting,seeing as I am a lefty I have started looking into the Rem 7600 in 35 whelen or a .3006.I am only looking at extendng my range to say 350 yards max for that one tme I may need it.

I am almost ready to buy the 35 whelen with syntheic furniture in the carbine model.I am so close clicking the sold button,I will be mounting a scope and I plan on shooting 225 gr federal trophy bond vital shock bear claw ammo.

Last edited by Moosie_4570; 06/29/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Moosie_4570
I have been looking at adding a rifle with a little more range than my .35 rem and .45-70 for moose hunting,seeing as I am a lefty I have started looking into the Rem 7600 in 35 whelen or a .3006.I am only looking at extendng my range to say 350 yards max forthat one tme I may need it.

I am almost ready to buy the 35 whelen with syntheic furniture in the carbine model.I am so close clicking the sold button,I will be mounting a scope and I plan on shooting 225 gr federal trophy bond vital shock bear claw ammo.

You'll get everything you want in the 7600 and ammo you plan to use. Hope you grab one!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I am just waiting to hear back from the shop,then I am going to send him half now and the rest next week for the 35 whelen carbine in black synthetic.I like the look of the wood furniture better on the .3006 but I can always purchase a set of wood furniture down the road and seeing as it is always nasty weather up moose hunting and I wont feel bad if I mark the synthetic up. We are also starting to apply for the elk hunt starting next year so It will give me another option for them as well.I like "different" calibers anyway and seeing as I can locate ammo for it easy enough I am leaning hard to the 35 whelen over the 3006.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You'll like it. I have the plain wood/blued 22" Whelen and it is a slick rifle in the woods. I love the way they point and accuracy with them is a no brainer. They all seem to shoot excellent.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I am sure I would like either.I would like to nab a slightly used .3006 for half of what I will pay for the new 35 whelen.I am going to keep holding out for a few more days and probably make my final decision later in the week.I can get .30-06 ammo everywhere and anywhere in any big store or small store all throughout ontario,I can get 35 whelen ammo but I believe it is sparse,as I have never heard of anybody shooting that caliber,ever.The .30-06,.308,.30-30,.270's are everywhere and my uncle has been shooting the 7600 in .30-06 for 35 years and taken a handful of moose and his whitetails every year,he once told me he has never had a jam,misfire or a single issue with his gun.

I am primarily picking this gun up for moose/elk hunting and maybe the odd bear or whitetail hunt as when I do rifle hunt I use my .35 rem for deer 99% of the time I am not carrying my .50 cal black powder.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'd even consider the .308 as I know they work well as my father hunted with a .308 for 25 years and killed numerous bulls and a few giants with his blr in .308.I actually purchased my .45-70 hoping I would use it for all my moose hunting but It is ok,I just want some more range and another option in the cabinet to take.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Moosie_4570
I have been looking at adding a rifle with a little more range than my .35 rem and .45-70 for moose hunting,seeing as I am a lefty I have started looking into the Rem 7600 in 35 whelen or a .3006.I am only looking at extendng my range to say 350 yards max for that one tme I may need it.

Do it!!!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The 35 whelen carbine that "Big Woods Bucks" had built,the 100 of them are an outstanding looking firearm.I like my wood stock and forends on my lever collection and I am partial to them on all my rifles but It looks like I am going to go with the 35 whelen carbine synthetic unless something pops up real soon as I am getting antsy to make the decision.

Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.