Home
Posted By: huntem Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
Here is the background to my "need" for another rifle.

**Currently have a 7mm-08 that shoots very well but just can't get past the guns features (don't like it). I have a lot of reloading gear for this setup.

**Have a Mt. Lion hunt in a year that the rifle would be used for and would like to watch my rifle weight.

I am fortunate to own rifles in the mid-upper caliber range so I'm looking for a more sensible caliber chambered in a sensible rifle to carry.

I wish I didn't have to say this about my beloved M700, I'm looking for a factory rifle that requires less tweaking and is ready to hit the range. Nor do I want to get into the cost of a full custom either.

I am leaning towards a Sako chambered in 7mm-08 but I'm not very knowledgeable on the difference between the A7, Finnlight or the SS Synthetic. I see the A7 has features to make it competitively priced. However, I'll save a little longer if the other models warrant the price increase.

I'm 0-2 with a good Kimber. FYI

Thanks in advance
I recently bought a Finnlight and can highly recommend that model, but I don't have any first hand experience with the other models.
Posted By: huntem Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
Originally Posted by retrieverman
I recently bought a Finnlight and can highly recommend that model

Is it the 85? or 75?
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
huntem,

Isn't your 7-08 a Tikka T3? If so, near as I can tell the A7 is a 3 lug T3. What you don't like about one, you may not like about the other. If I'm wrong, just ignore that comment.

I've heard good things about the other Sako's, and I'm sure they would do you well. For the price of them ($1200+ if I recall), I would think you could do a semi-custom 700 based gun that should be made to shoot pretty easy for a hunting rifle ($300 action, $200 ti stock, $500 pac-nor rebarrel). Just an option.

Hope things are good on your end,
Carl
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
+1 on the custom. You can get into one for a lot less than you think, and be a lot happier.
The $1500 custom build is a fairytale in the end! Seriously look into the higher-end lightweights (Sako Finnlights, Wby ULW, Kimber Montana etc.). You'll come out cheaper in the end and with A LOT less headache! I'd go with a .308 Winchester. I humbly think that it is more versatile than the 7mm-08.
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
OldCenterChurch,

I'll agree a build is work, and can be a headache (depending), but not being able to do it for $1500? In my experience, $1000 can be pinching pretty hard (depending), but $1500 is cake, at least for what I want.

And please don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting a Sako would be a bad way to go, either.

Carl
Carl,

Thanks for your reply and also for being a gentleman. I thought I was going to get beheaded for my comments. I understand that cost can be subjective when considering what components are satisfactory for a custom or semi-custom build. And, in fairness, I would agree that your suggestion to build has plenty of merit. I'm one of those that simply feel all warm and fuzzy with a McMillan stock as a staple ingredient as well as a nice stainless action. Once you have purchased the McMillan (no bedding), the R700 stainless SA, and all the shipping and transfer fees, you�re (I�m) already at $1000. I simply lack the frugal nature and wealth of experience that some have at building custom rifles. So, considering all that, to your point, I concede.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
I've had quiet a few 308Wins, love that cal! But I think the 7mm-08 would be my pick(ATM I like it more smile ). 120-160 TSX has it covered.
Sako all the way.
I can't speak on experience with the A7 but I currently have a 75 Hunter in 25-06, a 75 Finnlight in 260, and an 85 Hunter in 338 Federal. All are amazing shooters with the smoothest actions I ever cycled. Exceptional triggers and shoots every ammo I've tried into tiny groups. I'm also a big fan of Sako two postion safty and the short bolt lift. If you want a sure thing with no hassle, go with a Sako.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
Thinking of going Sako??

I heard that once you go Sako, you never go backo! smile
That was bad! Go to bed! grin grin
Posted By: avagadro Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
I can't ... I'm at work running experiments!! smile
Posted By: handwerk Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
rmpace said it right. Sakos are wonderful rigs.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
Originally Posted by huntem

Thanks in advance

I'am 3-3 with good sakos, Get your self a 75 or 85, put your favorite scope on it, sight it in and it's a done deal.
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
huntem,

Isn't your 7-08 a Tikka T3? If so, near as I can tell the A7 is a 3 lug T3. What you don't like about one, you may not like about the other. If I'm wrong, just ignore that comment.

You are correct about the T3 Lite. Judging only by what I read you may be correct regarding the A7 being very much like the Tikka.

I guess my personal likes and dislikes can't get past the plastic feel of the T3. The only reason I bought it was for may daughters bear hunt. The gun fit her well.

Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
I'll agree a build is work, and can be a headache (depending), but not being able to do it for $1500? In my experience, $1000 can be pinching pretty hard (depending), but $1500 is cake, at least for what I want.

I am my own worst enemy when it comes to not knowing when to quit. It doesn't matter what I'm working on, I always end up saying the same thing "If I'm going to this much trouble I might as well....." KaChing KaChing I doubt I could control myself to budget $1500.

On a side note, I'd like to make a move early in the spring to get quality trigger time at the range. I'm not so sure I want invest the time to finish a custom rifle.

Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Seriously look into the higher-end lightweights (Sako Finnlights, Wby ULW, Kimber Montana etc.)... I'd go with a .308 Winchester. I humbly think that it is more versatile than the 7mm-08.

OldCenterChurch thank you for the suggestions, also. In regards to the .308, I plan to stay with the 7mm-08 only because of the reloading components that I currently own and the fact that I have M700 TI in 300WSM.

If you look at the rifles I own they usually have the same thing in common, the caliber ends in the word magnum. So the idea of having a sensible caliber fits the idea that I firmly believe (but frequently ignore) you don't need a magnum to kill a deer (or cat).

The Sako bug hit me recently when I picked up a LH 75 in .270 for my daughter. I really like the lines of the rifle.
Originally Posted by retrieverman
I recently bought a Finnlight and can highly recommend that model

Is it the 85? or 75?

I have a Finnlite 75 in 6.5x55.
Posted By: 505ED Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
I thought the A7 looked cheap. I have a Sako in a 75 finlight it is a nicer rifle

On the custom side I have to say 1,000 bucks is a pipe dream. I have had about 15 customs bulit in the last 15 years and they all ran over budget, even though I was happy with the end result.

On the pac nor your about 100 bucks off. Just had one done by them SS barrel at 260 + 300 fitting and chambering and 40 shipping that 600 bucks, finding a remington for 300 in a short aciton will reqire some looking. I found my last one for 400 at a gun show sold the barrel for 40 bucks still have the stock so you might get close, but I looked for 6 months.

On stocks a good fitted fiberglass from a number of good companys seem to be right at $400, and the cheaper ones usually take a bit of fitting, Hell I'm sorry I'm ranting. I think 2,000 would be a good budget and it will be great!

Ed
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
My Sako experience runs from L61R, AIII, and AV. Never had a bad one, I reckon I'm about 5 for 5.

Always heard very good things about the 75 Finnlight. That in a 7-08 would be sweet. Don't know if they ever made one, but a 7x57 Finnlight would be even cooler.
Posted By: SKane Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09

Thanks in advance

1 for 3 in the Kimber is right around the corner if you buy FOsteology's Montana in 7mm-08..... smile

I'd surely have no qualms with the Finnlight!
I love my Sako rifles. Bought my firstnew rifle in 1998- Sako m75ss 300WM and so did my best friend (who at the time was going to get a Browning b/c he was tight for money back then) but sure glad he went Sako. Since 2004 I bought 4 more Sako m75 rifles. My newest was a new Sako m75 Greywolf 25-06 that I had rebarreled with a PacNor #5 24" 338-06AI. This has been a project rifle of mine for a while now and became a reality in October 2008 when I picked it up from my gunsmith.

I personally prefer Sako model 75 stock over the m85. I have never handled the new Sako A7 but from what I see and read its an upgraded Tikka T3. Dont get me wrong as I have a couple Tikka T3 LSrifles-great shooters.

IMO go with the Sako m75 or m85 and you will never regret it.
If you want to save a bit of cash, go with the A7 or a Tikka T3. Another option, I would look for a mint Sako 75 or 85 rifle. Seen some nice ones on Guns America for good prices.
Posted By: wildfowl Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
From what I have seen and read the A7 is a Tikka actioned rifle. There is nothing wrong with it, but it is not a pure Sako. It is a rifle built to a price point with SAKO stamped on it. All are made in the same plant with the same barrels, the actions are just cheaper to produce on the Tikkas and don't have the same finish work.

I have several Sakos the I LOVE and the one Tikka that I keep as sort of a loaner/bad weather rifle. Over time I have traded all my bolt action rifles off for Sakos.
Posted By: Bob257 Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
The Tikka has one action length and two locking lugs. They guarantee 3 in an inch at 100. The A7 is the old Sako 75 action. It varies according to cartridge has metal on the magazine feed instead of all plastic and guarantees 5 in an inch, you can open the bolt with the safety on and it has Weaver style bases. The 85 is all metal and the receiver varies to cartridge size and has the Sako dove tail integral base. I have all three. I like the 85 best, but it's priced accordingly too.
Posted By: hmt Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
This article is the best I have found thus far detailing the 85, A7, Tikka differences ... might be worth a read ...

Seems like an A7 with an aftermarket stock might be a good option ...

http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Hunting_Gear_and_Products/Sako-A7-Review-09090804.html
Posted By: FVA Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
Good article hmt. I'd take a A7 any day over a Tika just for the open port design and ring system.
Might get my boy one for graduation.
Originally Posted by FVA
Good article hmt. I'd take a A7 any day over a Tika just for the open port design and ring system.
Might get my boy one for graduation.

hmt I looked at that site last night which is why I started the original topic. I figured let the people who have each model speak the truth.

FVA That is the second thing I dislike about the Tikka. I really dislike the closed port on the Tikka.
Originally Posted by Bob257
The A7 is the old Sako 75 action.

If it is a 75 action then were is the dovetail machined on the top of the action?
From what I have seen and read the A7 is a Tikka actioned rifle. There is nothing wrong with it, but it is not a pure Sako. It is a rifle built to a price point with SAKO stamped on it. All are made in the same plant with the same barrels, the actions are just cheaper to produce on the Tikkas and don't have the same finish work.

I have several Sakos the I LOVE and the one Tikka that I keep as sort of a loaner/bad weather rifle. Over time I have traded all my bolt action rifles off for Sakos.

The Sako A7 is not a Tikka action. The differences between the 2 are the following. The Sako A7 has the old Sako 75 action which is an open action...center feed polymer clip with metal lips. Polymer bolt shroud , no dovetail mounts but supplied weaver style mounts on its receiver that is tapped and drilled for and supplied with weaver style mounts. A stock that is actually a little more flimsy then a Tikka.

If I were you I would shop for a used Sako 75 and remove all doubt. MOst A7's are priced at used 75 prices anyway and the 75 is much more rifle. I have a Tikka and a Sako 75 and don't think I can live with the "Tikka features" and will probably off it soon. This inspite of the fact that it is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. I will not part with my 75 though.
If it is a 75 action then were is the dovetail machined on the top of the action?

DOvetails are not milled into the top as a cost savings not to mention the metal pointing they do to the top of the receiver. It very clearly states in Sako literature that it is a 75 receiver
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

DOvetails are not milled into the top as a cost savings not to mention the metal pointing they do to the top of the receiver. It very clearly states in Sako literature that it is a 75 receiver

Then I wouldn't be ashamed to own that rifle.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/09/09
Another option in between the T3 & 85, cool.

The A7 bolt-handle looks like a two-piece design? Anyone confirm this.
Another option in between the T3 & 85, cool.

The A7 bolt-handle looks like a two-piece design? Anyone confirm this.

The 75 bolt is entirely one piece. The shroud has been replaced with a polymer shroud on the A7. I would have to take one apart to see if the handle is mounted ala Tikka. I wouldn't be surprised but I doubt it is done that way.
Posted By: duckster Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
I have owned 2 Sakos, both M75s. One blue/walnut in .280 Rem which I sold to a buddy who wanted it more than me and a stainless/synthetic in 7mm-08 which I really love. Both have shot very well out of the box, with a number of different factory and handloads.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the new A7 or M85s
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
The 75 bolt is entirely one piece. The shroud has been replaced with a polymer shroud on the A7. I would have to take one apart to see if the handle is mounted ala Tikka. I wouldn't be surprised but I doubt it is done that way.

Yeah the 75 & the 85 are a one-piece construction. The T3 is a dovetail setup. But if you look closely at the A7 bolt it looks to be joined just past the root of the bolt-handle. I would like to know how Sako fixed the handle on?

The T3 dovetail system is a good one & IMO it's probably stronger(upward force) than the new A7 if it's joined like I think it is. But saying that the T3 dovetail join does wear over time. A buddy of mine has the older Tikka 695 in 338WM, his has a slight amount of play. But that rifle has seen some action so all in all the T3 dovetail is pretty sound.
Posted By: MackMan Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
I have the Sako 75 in SS 300 Rum it is my go to rifle. I also have
a L169R Finnlight with a Mcmillan stock and a Krieger barrel in
30-06. The 75 also has a Mcmillan stock, I Just picked up an 85
270 Win. In my opinion they are the finest of the factory rifles
you can buy.
One thing I don't like about custom work is it takes too Long.
Charlie
Posted By: blargon Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
I have a 75 Finnlight .308, that I just stuffed into an EDGE, and I love it. grin
Posted By: rembo Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
Sako 75/85's are the cat's meow for a factory rifle...I've built many custom 700's for myself and others but I got tired of messing with them and they all looked the same...sold all my 700's but two(had 14 of them at one time)last fall and have since bought 5 Sakos, kept three...you have to sort out the ones you like you know...Have stainless 75's in 6.5 SE and 22-250, an 85 Hunter in 260, had a TRG-S M995 in 30-06 and an L61R in 25-06...
the 6.5 SE is an amazing shooter with 130 Accubonds and 140 AMax's. I put it into a McMillan handle....The 22-250 shot a best of 5 in .636" on it's first trip to the range......You take a Sako 75/85 out of the box, clean the bore and adjust the trigger to 2-1/2 lbs without taking it out of the stock and proceed to shoot small groups with a very well built and well finished rifle with a smooth bolt throw, great scope mounting system, great trigger and a very solid detachable mag system.

I've owned all of the older models too, have had L579's,AI's, AII's, L61R's, AIII's and AV's.....I prefer the 75/85's over those....

Once you go Sako,..you'll never go back to "other" rifles....I might get a couple more if the right ones come along....I'd like to find a stainless 75 in 7 STW.....or 300 Wtby

there's a shop up here in Canada that's advertising some new Sako 85's for less money than some new 700's.......that's a no brainer....

Posted By: 221FB Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
That article makes an error when it implies that the 75 had a plunger-type ejector. The 75s obviously have the same fixed ejector slot at 6 o'clock that the newer 85s have.

From the photos it looks like the A7's bolt root attaches to the bolt in the same manner as the older M995/TRG-S, but I can't be sure without seeing one in person. The slotted bolt handles of the Tikka M595/M695/T3 series are extremely strong, convenient and will never fail.
Posted By: huntem Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
This is a great thread!!
4 sure I am about alone in two things:

First off, hard as I've tried I've never got a Swift Scirroco bullet to shoot and it seems like everyone else does.

Secondly, I've had several Sako's and while I liked how smooth the actions were just like the Scirroco's I've never found a Sako to shoot in a manner in which I found acceptable.

And yet, it seems like every one else in the free world has had super luck with them....grins

Dober
If your daughter liked that LH 270, I bet she'd love my AV LH 375 H&H with the QD Tally's and the Gorgeous Fiddleback stock.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
, I've had several Sako's and while I liked how smooth the actions were just like the Scirroco's I've never found a Sako to shoot in a manner in which I found acceptable.

And yet, it seems like every one else in the free world has had super luck with them....grins

Dober

Not every body, A friend of mine who owns a sporting goods store told me the rifles he had the most accuracy issues with were sakos. He was a browning direct dealer with 10 new a-bolts on the rack at the time, so I took that info for what its worth.
I guess that's a good way to sell brownings...grin
A little biased I would say.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
I'm admittedly biased. I've never had a poor shooting Tikka (3) or Sako (2). The Tikkas may not be as "nice" as the Sako, but they shoot just as well or better than anything I have, including the Sako and a Steyr. The one huge advantage to the Tikka IMO is that I'm not afraid to (and I do) drag it through mud, sand, rain, etc and it never misses a beat. My pre-Garcia Finnbear, on the other hand, is not going to see that kind of abuse.
JG-totally with you on the T3 Tikka's, IMO they just whomp azz when it comes to accuracy.

Dober
Posted By: huntem Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
JG-totally with you on the T3 Tikka's, IMO they just whomp azz when it comes to accuracy.

Dober

I've had some correspondence with Ian at Robertson Composite regarding their Silhouette stock modified for the T3 action. I really don't know a thing about Robertson. Priced at $447 US as of 1/7/09.

I personally think the first quality stock manufacturer who really pushes a replacement stock for the T3 would be very, very busy. IMHO
What year did the Garcia finnbears come on the scene? Did they have Garcia stamped on them anywere?
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/10/09
You won't regret it.

75 - .308 - Factory Stock

[Linked Image]

Same Rifle ala Edge

[Linked Image]

165 Fusion

[Linked Image]

180 Factory Rem Corelokt (This was fired out-of-the-box in factory stock with trigger at factory weight setting)

[Linked Image]

150 gr American Eagle FMJ

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntem Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/11/09
The sako is going to have to wait. I've decided to sell my Tikka to fund the purchase of the second LH rifle that is for sale off a close friend for my daughter.

I was incorrect, the Sako I purchased for her was a AV model not 75. After I sold the scope, I've got $425 total in the rifle.

Next one will be Rem700 in .243AI with a Leup 3.5x10-40 for $500
Posted By: rembo Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/13/09
Here's one of my Sakos, stainless 75 in 6.5 Swede, McMillan stock, 4-16 Elite 4200...shoots OK for a factory rig I think....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/13/09
I love my new Sako Model 85!

It is without a doubt - the finest factory rifle I have ever owned. Nothing else comes close. Perfect trigger, ultra-slick action, flawlss feeding, and absolutely fine accuracy, it even has great recoil attenuation designed into it - and mine is in the 375 H&H!
My first Sako(M75 Finnlight 270win) will be in this week. While looking around I handled an A7 and thought it was almost a twin to my two T3s.

You can have a real nice Custom built for around 1500, I just priced a build for a 7lb finished weight rig and it was going to run me around 12-1300. I already have the action and bought a used HS stock, the price was for stainless Lilja bbl, holland lug, skim bedded into HS stock, blue printed action, lapped lugs, spiral fluted bolt, and bead blasting the bbl. The only reason I bought the finnlight is because the action I have to build from is blued and I wanted and all stainless light weight rig. I could have had the action duracoated I guess, maybe next time...

Good Luck

loder
Posted By: magnumb Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/14/09
I also handled the A7 recently and there isn't a remarkable difference, to me, between them and a T3. Surely not enough to justify the difference in purchase price.

I also own a Sako 75 SS in 25-06 along with 3 T3's and the smooth flawless functioning of all of these firearms is, IMHO, quite similar. No doubt the 75 "feels" more like a quality rifle given the extra weight and other niceties, but for almost $1,000 more............?

I've got used to the lighter weight T3's so much that the Sako 75 seems more than a bit weighty to me. It handles well and shoots so very accurately that I have no other complaints other than it's more obvious weight over the T3's. As some recent physical issues have come about, I may be forced to reconsider my 75's place among my collection. I've very few rounds down the tube and several animals to its credit and it shoots the 110gr. AB into consistent 1/2 in. groups, but my 4.5 X 14 X 44 side adjust Conquest likely has a bit to do with that as well. The added Limbsaver butt pad wasn't necessary due to the expected mild recoil, but it does complete the entire package.

To say I'm torn would be an understatement. I love this rifle and it is perhaps the nicest rifle I've ever owned and I've kept it almost as pristine as the day I got it new, but there is little doubt that a lighter rifle would be much more accommodating for me, given my recent physical issues.

The T3's, these days at least, fit not only what works well for me while afield, but are much more user friendly for me in the "packin' around" department.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/14/09
I think the 85's are slightly lighter Ken. Maybe you want to trade in on a new .25-06 Finnlight?

If I had the money I'd make you an offer on your 75.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/14/09
For less than $1,000 you can get a NIB Sako 75 if you want to go that route.

I have several 75's and one 85. I prefer the 75's but most people like the 85's.

I love Sako's. Can't go wrong.

Ya'll knock it off or the prices will go up even more.

Damn'd Savage forum pushed that cost up as well.

Aka - I want to buy at least one more of them so knock it off.
Trust me Sam, I have watched my hair turn the corner on graying just thinkin' about sellin' off my 75. It's kind of like the last thing I'd ever want to do, but the first thing I should do.....if that makes any sense.

Since the 25's recoil so little, the lightest package available is desirable, if in a provenly accurate rifle, expensive or not, of no real consequence to me anyway. The T3 Lite really does fit that bill nicely as does the Finnlight. I've had such great success with all the T3's I've owned however, that it would be hard not to give them a hard and first look.

I don't know what my 75 and the Conquest would even go for and am not so assuming as to expect the very most one might consider getting. It needs to be hunted more than I've done with her and it seems quite likely that in these following years it will see even less time afield. The scope/rings/bases/trigger have been set so perfectly that I'd want to sell the package as is because as it sits, it simply is one tack drivin' package and the perfect set-up....IMHO.

More thinkin' to do, but most likely, sooner than later, I'll make the move.

Trust me....this 75 and all that is aboard, is no less perfect and precise than those new WW brass you've recently seen.

Take care Sam....................

Posted By: Finley Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/14/09
The Sakos are nice.....the Tikkas aren't bad for the price either.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/14/09
I'd sell or trade the heavy Conquest and get a lighter scope (like any of the quality 3-9's available that run about 13 oz), then drop the Finnlight in a Mickey Edge. You could probably sell the factory stock too. I've had 2 offers on mine, but prefer to keep it for a backup, just in case.

There goes about 1.25 lbs. Now it's lighter than your Tikkas. grin
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/14/09
Originally Posted by Finley
The Sakos are nice.....the Tikkas aren't bad for the price either.
[Linked Image]

I've seen that performance with at least two other T3/300WSM's. There's something about that combo, they just shoot silly little groups!
Good points, however it is a 75 and not a Finnlight (whether that makes it a no-go or not). I'd also likely keep the factory stock due to the "just in case" thing.

I'm, unfortunately, one of those that when I put together an exceptional package (meaning super accurate, handles well and is so very smooth and reliable), I'm not easily convinced to "un-do" what took so much work to produce. Likely my issue, perhaps no one else's. I know it would work perfectly for a person w/o the recent back issues that I've recently encountered, as I carried it when that was the case. So I know it is the package that I say it is. I even bought a new, extra mag for it to the tune of $120. They are quite proud of their products, that's for sure. But well built they are and there's no arguing that point.

Obviously, you're thinking is more clear and easily justified than mine, of that, I've no doubt.........grin. I appreciate your honest and viable suggestions a great deal. Sentimentality often rears it's ugly head when it has no place in doing so.....perhaps there's a bit of that at play here.

My son took his first 12 deer starting from the age of 12 with this and a few other 25's. He prefers the 270WSM now, but it's still hard to think of it being "gone".

I'll consider your well intended suggestion as it is very much worth consideration. Lighter than a T3........now there's a thought.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Ken
Posted By: BKondeff Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/14/09
I find it interesting that in 7 years of reading about Tikka T-3's, it seems that 90% of the posts say they are tack drivers, yet a fair amount of people seem to be put off by the features. I can see if a gun just doesn't feel right, but other than that and possibly dangerous game hunting, isn't accuracy what it's all about. Seems to me the only mistake Tikka has made on this gun is not selling it for over a grand, because at that price point people wouldn't question it so much. Give me ACCURACY.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/14/09
You better just hold onto that 75 .25-06 Ken.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/14/09
Originally Posted by BKondeff
I find it interesting that in 7 years of reading about Tikka T-3's, it seems that 90% of the posts say they are tack drivers, yet a fair amount of people seem to be put off by the features. I can see if a gun just doesn't feel right, but other than that and possibly dangerous game hunting, isn't accuracy what it's all about. Seems to me the only mistake Tikka has made on this gun is not selling it for over a grand, because at that price point people wouldn't question it so much give the ACCURACY.

Just my opinion.

It's like people who settle for a car that gets 50mpg but can't fit everyone in their family in it.

Why does everyone assume you have to settle/compromise on everything? I hate that!

Why can't you get a rifle that's accurate, fits right, feels right, and looks right? Oh yeah you can.
Likely the final outcome Sam, BUT, the acquisition of a new T3 Lite SS in 25-06 may be a viable option given my current situation.

Imagine, another rifle in the house. I hardly need an excuse anymore, even a valid one.

Conveniently, my recently built up private "stash" happens to allow for that to occur now with about 1/2 a scope worth as well. When I'm up and around a bit better (a month or so), the stash pile should have enough to put an entire package together.

You gotta love these sorts of projects...............grin.

Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/14/09
I hear ya.

I might just grab a T-3 in 6.5 swede myself if it doesn't prove to be a pain in the azz to get one of those aftermarket Canadian stocks.

My buddy's T-3 stainless in .308 shoots just about as good as my Sako. That's the big sticking point with the Tikkas for me; I hate the factory stock. But then, I hate all factory tupperware, including Sako's, although it at least fits me well.

Being a LA, the '06 won't prove quite as handy as the 75 short action -- I know, I handled the same model in a 30-06 the day I bought the .308 and the difference was marked -- but an Edge will drop about a pound from the rifle nonetheless. My factory stock weighed 42 oz, the Edge went 26 after being bedded with Acraglass.

I don't have any back problems, but I definitely appreciate a lighter rifle. But balance is more important to me than a few ounces here or there and, to me, the $500 spent on the Mickey was well spent. I only paid $900 for the rifle though, so the difference brought the price to about what a new 85 is selling for. Some have remarked that I could build a custom for that money, but in my mind the Sako in the edge is a custom. The 75 action blows a 700 out of the water in all respects IMO and doesn't require truing; they pretty much come from the factory that way. The barrel, well all I can say is that 200 rounds of six different types of factory ammo left no appreciable copper in the barrel that I could see. I don't see how one could do better. Every factory load I have tried -- with the exception of Federal HE 180 partitions, which went about 1.25" - 1.5" -- has shot to their guarantee. The rifle shoots better than I do and I will never part with it.

I can't wait to send some hadloads down the tube.
Posted By: zxc Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/15/09
Jari at the Sako factory says he will get me a 9.3x66 Sako SS ASAP, Its been on order since sept 07 so i guess a couple months will be asap. my Finnlight 06 is all what Brian says except the recoil part.
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/15/09
I'm not so sure the great recoil attenuation in mine isn't, at least in part, due to the fact mine is the synthetic stocked version of the new Model 85.

The new stock and recoil pad seems very well designed - and even has a few patents on it.

[Linked Image]

Plus - I love the no-error, fast, one-hand, flush clip design.

[Linked Image]

And, I love this accuracy out of a big-bore! I called the off shot in the group (shot #5 - I was getting excited with my first shots with the rifle) - so I took one more. And that's with the cheapest factory ammo I could find - in 270 grain!

[Linked Image]

Plus - the rifle only weighs 7 lbs!
Meaning recoil is not an issue at all. How do you like your Swaro 1.5x10.
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/15/09
I think I lucked out on that scope too! So clear, so precise in it's calibrations, and it has an unbelievable field of view! Something I want in a potential DGR. At it's lowest power you can see half of the barrel! It's something like 75 feet at a 100 yards - better than even the famed Leupold 1X4! AND - instead of topping out at an actual 3.7 power - it goes all the way to an honest 10 power! What's not to like - other than the price, perhaps.

I am in love with this combo!
Posted By: RyanScott Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/15/09
I've been using a 1.7-10 as well and I like it. Not sold on the SFP duplex though. Would have rather had FFP and #7 or something.
It is a good combo fur sure. I have used the Leupold 1.5x5 ( still have one)but found I like a little more on the high end, loved the low end though. I have used a 6x42 Leupold for over 10 yrs when they were available in '86, liked that as well. This is something for me to consider. Thanks
Posted By: magnumb Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/15/09
Much the same feelin' I have in regards to Sako's, especially the 75 of which I have much more experience. I'm a break-in advocate, for any rifle. But as your comments completly relect mine, my 75 took 1/5 of the time my Remmies did and that long and distasteful chore and experience has not been lost on me. Says alot about what occurs long before we ever purchase a rifle.

I don't hate the T3 factory synthetic stocks, but they also aren't what I'd call "desirable" either. You get what you pay for, these stocks being no exception. But truth be told, my T3's are all shooters no matter the undesirability of the stock.......and they're light to boot. My recent acquisition of 2 T3's with the laminate stocks are/were an attempt to offset the appearance part while only adding 1/2 lb. to the complete package. My very able bodied son will carry the 300WSM T3 laminated while I will carry the 300WSM T3 synthetic when elk hunting. My son will carry the 270WSM laminated while deer hunting and I the 75 in 25-06. There in-lies the rub.

I love the 25-06 and have more components for it than one could ever need...........quite literally. The 75 is such a fine firearm and produces such fine results both in accuracy and on game, that either parting with it or safe queening it seems almost unpatriotic.

Your "Edge" suggestion makes sense and the $ spent is of no real consequence to me given it's likely benefit. Those Canadian aftermarket stocks are also interesting. As I said earlier, I also bought a new 75 mag when I got the rifle and I must admit, for $120 or so, they are one hell of a mag. What doesn't Sako put together well or over build? By far the most reliable and sturdy mag I've ever owned or used.

Who knows, when I fully recover from my spinal fusion, I might feel comfortable in totin' around a 50BMG all day and all my current concerns may be a non-issue.....hope, hope. But thinkin' ahead, even waaaaay ahead sometimes, helps to eliminate choices I'd need to make in the future......or not.

Appreciate the suggestions and your sharing of experiences from which I can draw from. Never too old to learn nor prideful enough not to listen. I would also agree that a Sako is about as close to a custom as one might come to own. That very well may be the case for me, but with the addition of an Edge, that little bit of customization may prove to be both very beneficial to me while also adding that "one of a kindish" rifle feelin'.................grin.

Thanks again SR for your input and the time taken to help me explore some more possibilities. With Sam's above suggestion and now yours, I feel better about making a more prudent decision.

Thanks to the both of you..........................

Posted By: JGRaider Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/15/09
Hey magnumb, do you like the Tikka SS/laminate's you got? I've had my eye on one for a while now.
JDRaider, my two Tikka T3 LS rifles in 270WSM are great shooters. Do no hesitate on buying one. I do love my Sako model 75's but I couldnt wait another year to get a Greywolf when I waited one more from 2003 to 2004 to get the laminate stainless Tikka T3 rifles.

Here are pics of my Sako m75 and Tikka T3 rifles:

My first one bought in 1998, a Sako m75ss 300WM with custom fluting of factory barrel and a muzzle brake installed (wish I never did it but its a very good shooter). Barrel is polished with flutes teflon coated. Sako Optilok rings & bases with Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 scope. My best friend ordered the same rifle at this time too but left his with no fluting.
[Linked Image]

Next were my two Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with Sako Optilok rings and bases and one with a silver Leupould VX3 3.5-10x40BC scope (wife's rifle as see took this one over so I bought another that season). The next one has a matte Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40BC scope.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then in 2006 bought a mint Sako m75ss 243 and put on Sako Optilok rings and bases with a new Leupold VX2 4-12x40AO LR scope.
[Linked Image]

Next was in May last year a mint Sako m75 Greywolf 300WSM with Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 gunmetal greyscope.
[Linked Image]

And my last one was a project rifle I was wanting to do for a couple of years as I had the scope already. In June ofthis year I found a new Sako m75 Greywolf 25-06. Had the barrel replaced with a new PAcNor #5 24" barrel built in a 338-06 Ackley Improved. My gunsmith fluted the barrel and powder coated the barrel, receiver, bolt handle, magazine, trigger guard and the new style Sako Optilok rings in gunmetal grey to match the scope. Picked up the rifle end of October. Click on link to the post I did on this rifle to see the posting I did. (CAN'T find it right now so here is 1 pic)
[Linked Image]

All are great shooters. The 270WSM shoot reloads of 140gr Accubonds. The 300WM shoots 180gr Accubond reloads, the 300WSM is still on factory ammo-Winchester Supreme 180gr Accubond CT's, my 243 shoots factory Winchester Supreme and reloads of BST's in 55 and 95 gr. My 338-06AI will be reloaded with 225gr Accubonds-still have to reload and get to the range---too busy lately.

My opinion, go Sako all the way. Other friends now that are involved with our moose camp either shoot Sako m75ss 300WM, a 300WSM and Tikka T3 camo 270WSM that they all bought this past summer, prior to the season starting.

My next one will be selling on of my T3 270WSM to my bro-in-law and then finding a Sako m75ss 270WSM and going with a Macmillan stock (like the tan one) and either leave the barrel stainless or get it powder coated (black I think).
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/20iv0vb.jpg[/img]

And / or a Sako m75 or Tikka T3 Varmint in 22-250 with the entire package camo dipped in Mossy Oak Winter Break-up. I already have a safe queen Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40AO for this project.
Posted By: magnumb Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/15/09
Yes I do!! But you'd better not tell me where it is or you're likely to come up empty.......grin.

1/2 lb. more than the synthetic, as laminates go they are very well finished, their free floated stocks are more uniform than most (however I still hog out the stock's forearm a bit just to make sure there's ample free "floatedness" and even up that which seems to leave a bit too much wood a bit too left or right). I use 2 light coats of varathane to seal any and all parts which may have been touched by my light sandpaper work.

For any T3 which has enough recoil to even think about when touching off one at the bench, a laminate just helps a bit in that regard. Funny how just a 1/2 pound more weight can make such experiences even more enjoyable. The addition of a Limbsaver butt pad truly fills out the bill.

As I said in an earlier post, my sources in the business are sure that the laminates end this year, for reasons that I can't get behind. The $160 (+/-) more price tag for the laminates seems to be the real factor in their demise, 'cuz all that I know who own them are more than satisfied with that model and/or configuration.......I know that I am, in a big way.

What cartridge and price are we talkin' about JG? In all honesty, if you figure you're not going to finalize the deal, please let me know the specifics and if it fits my needs (wants....grin), I might be interested. FWIW - my last 2 T3 laminates (270WSM and a 300WSM) cost $640, less tax.

Good luck on your making that decision JG, but they are a handsome set-up to be sure and once gone, I'm not sure that there will ever be a return performance.

As always JG, my best to you and yours.

Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/15/09
I'd just hate to see anyone get rid of a rifle they love due to weight and then regret it later. There are always other options. Of course, that's no reason not to buy another T-3 in 25-06 either. grin

Posted By: magnumb Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/16/09
A very thoughtful and a most honest recomendation..........neither of which is lost on me....thanks to you and Sam.

Thanks again SR............you, JG and Sam have always been good people.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/16/09
Thanks alot magnumb, I was afraid you were going to say that! I'm not sure yet what particular caliber, think I might start shopping around some. A 7-08 would be sweet. I'll probably ask you some more questions after a few shopping trips. Thanks.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Thinking of going Sako?? - 01/16/09
Originally Posted by magnumb
Thanks again SR............you, JG and Sam have always been good people.

You must not know me well enough Ken...grin
I've got lots of time.......grin.
Anytime.............
© 24hourcampfire