Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Finley
The Sakos are nice.....the Tikkas aren't bad for the price either.
[Linked Image]

I've seen that performance with at least two other T3/300WSM's. There's something about that combo, they just shoot silly little groups!

Taking my rifle for a walk
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good points, however it is a 75 and not a Finnlight (whether that makes it a no-go or not). I'd also likely keep the factory stock due to the "just in case" thing.

I'm, unfortunately, one of those that when I put together an exceptional package (meaning super accurate, handles well and is so very smooth and reliable), I'm not easily convinced to "un-do" what took so much work to produce. Likely my issue, perhaps no one else's. I know it would work perfectly for a person w/o the recent back issues that I've recently encountered, as I carried it when that was the case. So I know it is the package that I say it is. I even bought a new, extra mag for it to the tune of $120. They are quite proud of their products, that's for sure. But well built they are and there's no arguing that point.

Obviously, you're thinking is more clear and easily justified than mine, of that, I've no doubt.........grin. I appreciate your honest and viable suggestions a great deal. Sentimentality often rears it's ugly head when it has no place in doing so.....perhaps there's a bit of that at play here.

My son took his first 12 deer starting from the age of 12 with this and a few other 25's. He prefers the 270WSM now, but it's still hard to think of it being "gone".

I'll consider your well intended suggestion as it is very much worth consideration. Lighter than a T3........now there's a thought.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Ken

Last edited by magnumb; 01/14/09.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I find it interesting that in 7 years of reading about Tikka T-3's, it seems that 90% of the posts say they are tack drivers, yet a fair amount of people seem to be put off by the features. I can see if a gun just doesn't feel right, but other than that and possibly dangerous game hunting, isn't accuracy what it's all about. Seems to me the only mistake Tikka has made on this gun is not selling it for over a grand, because at that price point people wouldn't question it so much. Give me ACCURACY.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by BKondeff; 01/14/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You better just hold onto that 75 .25-06 Ken.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BKondeff
I find it interesting that in 7 years of reading about Tikka T-3's, it seems that 90% of the posts say they are tack drivers, yet a fair amount of people seem to be put off by the features. I can see if a gun just doesn't feel right, but other than that and possibly dangerous game hunting, isn't accuracy what it's all about. Seems to me the only mistake Tikka has made on this gun is not selling it for over a grand, because at that price point people wouldn't question it so much give the ACCURACY.

Just my opinion.

It's like people who settle for a car that gets 50mpg but can't fit everyone in their family in it.

Why does everyone assume you have to settle/compromise on everything? I hate that!

Why can't you get a rifle that's accurate, fits right, feels right, and looks right? Oh yeah you can.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Likely the final outcome Sam, BUT, the acquisition of a new T3 Lite SS in 25-06 may be a viable option given my current situation.

Imagine, another rifle in the house. I hardly need an excuse anymore, even a valid one.

Conveniently, my recently built up private "stash" happens to allow for that to occur now with about 1/2 a scope worth as well. When I'm up and around a bit better (a month or so), the stash pile should have enough to put an entire package together.

You gotta love these sorts of projects...............grin.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya.

I might just grab a T-3 in 6.5 swede myself if it doesn't prove to be a pain in the azz to get one of those aftermarket Canadian stocks.

My buddy's T-3 stainless in .308 shoots just about as good as my Sako. That's the big sticking point with the Tikkas for me; I hate the factory stock. But then, I hate all factory tupperware, including Sako's, although it at least fits me well.

Being a LA, the '06 won't prove quite as handy as the 75 short action -- I know, I handled the same model in a 30-06 the day I bought the .308 and the difference was marked -- but an Edge will drop about a pound from the rifle nonetheless. My factory stock weighed 42 oz, the Edge went 26 after being bedded with Acraglass.

I don't have any back problems, but I definitely appreciate a lighter rifle. But balance is more important to me than a few ounces here or there and, to me, the $500 spent on the Mickey was well spent. I only paid $900 for the rifle though, so the difference brought the price to about what a new 85 is selling for. Some have remarked that I could build a custom for that money, but in my mind the Sako in the edge is a custom. The 75 action blows a 700 out of the water in all respects IMO and doesn't require truing; they pretty much come from the factory that way. The barrel, well all I can say is that 200 rounds of six different types of factory ammo left no appreciable copper in the barrel that I could see. I don't see how one could do better. Every factory load I have tried -- with the exception of Federal HE 180 partitions, which went about 1.25" - 1.5" -- has shot to their guarantee. The rifle shoots better than I do and I will never part with it.

I can't wait to send some hadloads down the tube.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jari at the Sako factory says he will get me a 9.3x66 Sako SS ASAP, Its been on order since sept 07 so i guess a couple months will be asap. my Finnlight 06 is all what Brian says except the recoil part.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm not so sure the great recoil attenuation in mine isn't, at least in part, due to the fact mine is the synthetic stocked version of the new Model 85.

The new stock and recoil pad seems very well designed - and even has a few patents on it.

[Linked Image]

Plus - I love the no-error, fast, one-hand, flush clip design.

[Linked Image]

And, I love this accuracy out of a big-bore! I called the off shot in the group (shot #5 - I was getting excited with my first shots with the rifle) - so I took one more. And that's with the cheapest factory ammo I could find - in 270 grain!

[Linked Image]

Plus - the rifle only weighs 7 lbs!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Meaning recoil is not an issue at all. How do you like your Swaro 1.5x10.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think I lucked out on that scope too! So clear, so precise in it's calibrations, and it has an unbelievable field of view! Something I want in a potential DGR. At it's lowest power you can see half of the barrel! It's something like 75 feet at a 100 yards - better than even the famed Leupold 1X4! AND - instead of topping out at an actual 3.7 power - it goes all the way to an honest 10 power! What's not to like - other than the price, perhaps.

I am in love with this combo!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been using a 1.7-10 as well and I like it. Not sold on the SFP duplex though. Would have rather had FFP and #7 or something.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is a good combo fur sure. I have used the Leupold 1.5x5 ( still have one)but found I like a little more on the high end, loved the low end though. I have used a 6x42 Leupold for over 10 yrs when they were available in '86, liked that as well. This is something for me to consider. Thanks

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Much the same feelin' I have in regards to Sako's, especially the 75 of which I have much more experience. I'm a break-in advocate, for any rifle. But as your comments completly relect mine, my 75 took 1/5 of the time my Remmies did and that long and distasteful chore and experience has not been lost on me. Says alot about what occurs long before we ever purchase a rifle.

I don't hate the T3 factory synthetic stocks, but they also aren't what I'd call "desirable" either. You get what you pay for, these stocks being no exception. But truth be told, my T3's are all shooters no matter the undesirability of the stock.......and they're light to boot. My recent acquisition of 2 T3's with the laminate stocks are/were an attempt to offset the appearance part while only adding 1/2 lb. to the complete package. My very able bodied son will carry the 300WSM T3 laminated while I will carry the 300WSM T3 synthetic when elk hunting. My son will carry the 270WSM laminated while deer hunting and I the 75 in 25-06. There in-lies the rub.

I love the 25-06 and have more components for it than one could ever need...........quite literally. The 75 is such a fine firearm and produces such fine results both in accuracy and on game, that either parting with it or safe queening it seems almost unpatriotic.

Your "Edge" suggestion makes sense and the $ spent is of no real consequence to me given it's likely benefit. Those Canadian aftermarket stocks are also interesting. As I said earlier, I also bought a new 75 mag when I got the rifle and I must admit, for $120 or so, they are one hell of a mag. What doesn't Sako put together well or over build? By far the most reliable and sturdy mag I've ever owned or used.

Who knows, when I fully recover from my spinal fusion, I might feel comfortable in totin' around a 50BMG all day and all my current concerns may be a non-issue.....hope, hope. But thinkin' ahead, even waaaaay ahead sometimes, helps to eliminate choices I'd need to make in the future......or not.

Appreciate the suggestions and your sharing of experiences from which I can draw from. Never too old to learn nor prideful enough not to listen. I would also agree that a Sako is about as close to a custom as one might come to own. That very well may be the case for me, but with the addition of an Edge, that little bit of customization may prove to be both very beneficial to me while also adding that "one of a kindish" rifle feelin'.................grin.

Thanks again SR for your input and the time taken to help me explore some more possibilities. With Sam's above suggestion and now yours, I feel better about making a more prudent decision.

Thanks to the both of you..........................

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey magnumb, do you like the Tikka SS/laminate's you got? I've had my eye on one for a while now.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
JDRaider, my two Tikka T3 LS rifles in 270WSM are great shooters. Do no hesitate on buying one. I do love my Sako model 75's but I couldnt wait another year to get a Greywolf when I waited one more from 2003 to 2004 to get the laminate stainless Tikka T3 rifles.

Here are pics of my Sako m75 and Tikka T3 rifles:

My first one bought in 1998, a Sako m75ss 300WM with custom fluting of factory barrel and a muzzle brake installed (wish I never did it but its a very good shooter). Barrel is polished with flutes teflon coated. Sako Optilok rings & bases with Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 scope. My best friend ordered the same rifle at this time too but left his with no fluting.
[Linked Image]

Next were my two Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with Sako Optilok rings and bases and one with a silver Leupould VX3 3.5-10x40BC scope (wife's rifle as see took this one over so I bought another that season). The next one has a matte Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40BC scope.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then in 2006 bought a mint Sako m75ss 243 and put on Sako Optilok rings and bases with a new Leupold VX2 4-12x40AO LR scope.
[Linked Image]

Next was in May last year a mint Sako m75 Greywolf 300WSM with Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 gunmetal greyscope.
[Linked Image]

And my last one was a project rifle I was wanting to do for a couple of years as I had the scope already. In June ofthis year I found a new Sako m75 Greywolf 25-06. Had the barrel replaced with a new PAcNor #5 24" barrel built in a 338-06 Ackley Improved. My gunsmith fluted the barrel and powder coated the barrel, receiver, bolt handle, magazine, trigger guard and the new style Sako Optilok rings in gunmetal grey to match the scope. Picked up the rifle end of October. Click on link to the post I did on this rifle to see the posting I did. (CAN'T find it right now so here is 1 pic)
[Linked Image]

All are great shooters. The 270WSM shoot reloads of 140gr Accubonds. The 300WM shoots 180gr Accubond reloads, the 300WSM is still on factory ammo-Winchester Supreme 180gr Accubond CT's, my 243 shoots factory Winchester Supreme and reloads of BST's in 55 and 95 gr. My 338-06AI will be reloaded with 225gr Accubonds-still have to reload and get to the range---too busy lately.

My opinion, go Sako all the way. Other friends now that are involved with our moose camp either shoot Sako m75ss 300WM, a 300WSM and Tikka T3 camo 270WSM that they all bought this past summer, prior to the season starting.

My next one will be selling on of my T3 270WSM to my bro-in-law and then finding a Sako m75ss 270WSM and going with a Macmillan stock (like the tan one) and either leave the barrel stainless or get it powder coated (black I think).
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/20iv0vb.jpg[/img]

And / or a Sako m75 or Tikka T3 Varmint in 22-250 with the entire package camo dipped in Mossy Oak Winter Break-up. I already have a safe queen Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40AO for this project.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes I do!! But you'd better not tell me where it is or you're likely to come up empty.......grin.

1/2 lb. more than the synthetic, as laminates go they are very well finished, their free floated stocks are more uniform than most (however I still hog out the stock's forearm a bit just to make sure there's ample free "floatedness" and even up that which seems to leave a bit too much wood a bit too left or right). I use 2 light coats of varathane to seal any and all parts which may have been touched by my light sandpaper work.

For any T3 which has enough recoil to even think about when touching off one at the bench, a laminate just helps a bit in that regard. Funny how just a 1/2 pound more weight can make such experiences even more enjoyable. The addition of a Limbsaver butt pad truly fills out the bill.

As I said in an earlier post, my sources in the business are sure that the laminates end this year, for reasons that I can't get behind. The $160 (+/-) more price tag for the laminates seems to be the real factor in their demise, 'cuz all that I know who own them are more than satisfied with that model and/or configuration.......I know that I am, in a big way.

What cartridge and price are we talkin' about JG? In all honesty, if you figure you're not going to finalize the deal, please let me know the specifics and if it fits my needs (wants....grin), I might be interested. FWIW - my last 2 T3 laminates (270WSM and a 300WSM) cost $640, less tax.

Good luck on your making that decision JG, but they are a handsome set-up to be sure and once gone, I'm not sure that there will ever be a return performance.

As always JG, my best to you and yours.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd just hate to see anyone get rid of a rifle they love due to weight and then regret it later. There are always other options. Of course, that's no reason not to buy another T-3 in 25-06 either. grin

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A very thoughtful and a most honest recomendation..........neither of which is lost on me....thanks to you and Sam.

Thanks again SR............you, JG and Sam have always been good people.

Last edited by magnumb; 01/15/09.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks alot magnumb, I was afraid you were going to say that! I'm not sure yet what particular caliber, think I might start shopping around some. A 7-08 would be sweet. I'll probably ask you some more questions after a few shopping trips. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 6mmbrfan, 9 invisible), 996 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,123
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.