Home
Posted By: oughtsix 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/16/09
Mtn iron of coarse!!

How close is the AI to the 284?

The AI would feed better right?
Posted By: WGM Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/16/09
I'd go 7mm-08AI (because I have one) ... but also because if in a jam, it's likely a LOT easier to find 7mm-08 factory ammo, which will shoot perfectly fine in a properly chambered AI ...

I'm not really sure how much difference there is betwixt the two, but I'm quite sure a 7mm-08AI will kill things dead enough for you ...
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/16/09
Speed wise both about the same, as for feeding I'd bet each and every time on the AI feeding better.

Dober
Posted By: Brad Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/16/09
Why make life hard?

Get a 280...
Posted By: oughtsix Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
Originally Posted by Brad
Why make life hard?

Get a 280...

Lol..

I would but looking short action in either a Ti or a Montana.

Think the magbox is a touch longer in the Ti?
Posted By: Brad Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
The Kimber 84 action can't handle the 284 case width-wise... 7-08 AI would work.

I'd prefer the Kimber over a Ti any day, but that's my bias.
Posted By: oughtsix Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
Ah..

CRF guy?
That, and the fact the Ti has a chopped glass POS stock. The Kimber is laid glass cloth with pillars and will equal a McMillan or Bansner quality-wise.

The Kimber is a "$500" stock... the Ti is a "$150" stock...
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
I see this a bit differently than my good friend Brad does, not saying his way or mine is wrong, we just have differing ways to look at this.

That said.

I know that the Montana handled is supposed to be made better, but I've yet to ever hear of a Ti handle that gave people issues. I've known more than a few to be opened up to handle a larger tube, and I've known of quite a lot of them to be hunted very hard and nary an issue with them. But like anything else, I spose there are some story's out there about someone having issues with them. (I mean it is man made right...)

I guess if it were for me tween the Ti and the Montana it'd come down to which one I preferred how it handled more so than what the two stocks were made of. I am very comfy that either one can take most anything that we'd ever give them in hunt situations. I'm 4 thinking that in order to have serious issues with one it'd have to involve a nag, and then either stock is gonna buckle if given the pony test. (but then again so is any other stock made to date)

To me, the Montana handled is a slimmer more petite stock, and the Ti handle is a bit chubbier and yet I really like it as well.
I'd say not wrong just different.

Personally I like the notion of going with a standard contour barreled 700 and sticking it in a Ti take off. You'll save two or three truck loads of cheddar and will have a gun with enough weight out front to satisfy even me...grin

If you wish for a smallish mtn type of gun take a look at a 700 Youth with it's 20" standard contour tube and wrap a Ti handle around it for $150. It'll be about 7 lbs all up, and will most likely shoot circles around either the Montana and or the stock Ti. (so to speak that is...grin)

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either option. This is kind of like picking out the lady for you, you have to see what fits you.

Good luck in your decision

Dober
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
oughtsix,

I would choose the rifle first and then use the cartridge that fits that rifle.

I suggest the Kimber 84M over the Rem. for these reasons.

The Kimber has a three position safety that allows the chamber to be unloaded on safe and it also locks the bolt closed. The Kimber safety locks the firing pin and not just the trigger like the Rem.

The Kimber has a superior extractor and a superior ejector.

The Kimber has a bolt handle thats mechanically attached and not just brazed on.

Other than these features I suggest that you handle each rifle and see which one fits you best.

Posted By: pointer Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
Originally Posted by Brad
The Kimber 84 action can't handle the 284 case width-wise... 7-08 AI would work.

I'd prefer the Kimber over a Ti any day, but that's my bias.
Wonder what size shoe horn these guys used? Wonder if it'll hold up?

Kimber 84M 6/284
Posted By: Scorpion Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
I like Remington personally so I'd like a Ti if I could get it, however the price and quality of the Kimber is tempting, especially in 7mm-08. For the price, you'd have a hard time matching the weight of the Montana I think. If I were getting a Montana, I'd probably get a 7mm WSM, just because. If doing the Ti, I'd go 7mm-08 AI.
Posted By: WGM Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
everyone I know with a Kimber Montucky 7WSM can hardly put it down ... they love them as much or more than any other 'sporter' style lightweight rifle they've ever had ...

one day I'll try to pick one up, but I just can quite justify it right now ...
I had one (Montana 7 wsm), and it was very easy for me to put it down and to sell it.

But then again I am totally blessed to own a G33/40 in .270... grin

Dober
Posted By: Scorpion Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
Same here, as I currently have a 7mm-08 and 280 that I both want AI'd, I can't justify a 7WSM.
Posted By: SU35 Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09

Brad, I don't think that is any $500.00 stock, but it's better than the Ti and I still own a Ti stock.

I've got the itch for a 284 Win. Love short actions with a Wyatts
central feed box that can seat a cartridge out to 3.00".
That center feed box is superior to any feeding device today.
Makes any peculiar round slick feed with ease.
So, no excuses for sharp shouldered rounds.

Load with RL17 and watch your 284 match 280 ballistics.

If your going to go AI for speed then why not go 284 for even more?
Posted By: safariman Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
"If your going to go AI for speed then why not go 284 for even more? "

My thoughts when I first saw the post or topic. Still my feelings. 284 is the only caliber I would consider if I were going to build a short action 27 or 28 cal gun. If it can be done in a short CRF action one would have one heck of a cool mountain rifle set up.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
If I can't get it done with a standard 7/08 (140/29-2950), I want a 338 bore. That's just me. But the WSM fans make a point, for Ultra Long RANGE, a WSM will get you there, in factory trim. A few 1,000 yd shooters are using them also. 180 Bergers.....fly real well.

Posted By: DMB Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
284=280, but in a short action.
284-better than 7-08AI.. grin
I have a 284.. grin grin
I'm not 101% positive, but I'm pretty darn sure that if both are run to sane pressures that there won't be a lick of diff tween the AI and the 284.

Dober
Originally Posted by SU35

Brad, I don't think that is any $500.00 stock, but it's better than the Ti and I still own a Ti stock.

Bob, I'll concede it's a "$475 stock"... laugh that's what a Bansner costs painted and it's a better stock than a Bansner, and lighter.

I also prefer the 84's ergos over any McMillan but that's a personal thing.

I've had a couple Ti's and, while I'm likely a little hard on them, it's still a relatively decent, although cheaply made, stock... for me I dislike the thickness of the grip, but it's that way because it doesn't have a mono-coupe, laid shell, but is chopped glass and requires the additional thickness for strength.

Mark makes a good point, however, that the Ti's channel can be opened-up with no harm, while opening a Kimber MT channel would be a lousy idea.
Posted By: SU35 Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
Ok, $475.00 then! and it does have great ergo's.

Well crap, you guys are "making" me want to go
pull my 6.5x284 barrel off my Ti and stick on
the 284 Win barrel. Just to prove whatever.

Anybody have any cheap 284 win dies?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
Although I've been a 284 shoot for a long time and have a number of rifles so chambered, I think that if you're looking for the highest .277/.284 performance in a short bolt action, the cartridges to consider are the 270 WSM, 7mm SAUM, and 7mm WSM. I think that the Cabela's in LaVista, NE, has a couple of Kimber Montanas in 270 WSM on sale for around $900.

All of my 284s are hanger queens since I started shooting the 270 WSM and 7mm SAUM.

Jeff
Posted By: ricksmith Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
Speed difference between the two calibers in a hunting situation isn't going to make any difference. With the current shortage of components, I would go with the 7/08AI. You can make the brass from 243, 260 or 308, 284 brass could be hard to find.Rick.
plain 7-08 save the extra die money for more brass or bullets.

Mike
Posted By: DJTex Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/17/09
I've got 7-08's in both a Montana and a Ti clad Mountain Guide (mountain contour barrel), and I really like them both.

The Kimber gets the nod for me, but the horse race is not a blow out. I like the trimmer handle and the features of the Kimber which have already been mentioned. I think the Kimber trigger is better as well, and nothing I have ever used soaks up recoil like a Montana stock - no McMillan I've used - nothing. Recoil on the 7-08 M700 in the Ti is nothing, though - it probably needs the heaviest bullets or something bigger for that to be much of an issue. I think the Ti stocks do a good job on recoil, as well, and I like the way they handle.

All that said, I'm real satisfied with both rifles and happy hunting either one. I justify the duplication several ways - one being boys coming up who will use it or confiscate my Kimber, and I can't have that! Also, I hope to work up loads which both like and keep it easy and simple when we hunt together.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, and I get that extra little sense of satisfaction from having a couple of bargain lightweights that shoot lights out and handle great for less than half of what I might easily have spent on something as good, so I grin a little extra on that account every time I play with either the 243 or 7-08 Mountain Guides.

I have a sneaking suspicion Dober feels the same way about his Ti wrapped around a 700 youth rifle. I'm kicking myself for not cobbling one of those together when Wal-Mart was closing out the old ADL's for $300 - could have done one in 243 and had a dandy for $450.

And, FWIW, I'd go 7-08AI - that's what will happen to my Montana when I shoot out the factory barrel, but I'm not in any hurry.

DJ
Posted By: oughtsix Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/19/09
Thanks for the input guys! Deceided to go with the plain old 7-08 to start. Never hunted anything but an -06. Wnat to run either 120 TSX or 120 NBT's..

Now take it easy on me here.. I ain't no gackster or loonie(yet).. But if I eventually go 7-08 AI and kill for several years, could the same rifle get punched to a 284win??

Greenhorn here so like I said take it easy.. Might not be a loonie but I am a killer!!
Posted By: safariman Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/19/09
Yes, the rifle could be easily reamed to 284 Win, but the smith will want to take some of off the back a bit first.

If your rifle will shoot the 120TTSX's, and I am betting it will, you will have an excellent combo there.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/19/09
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/19/09
Std 7-08 works just fine. The 284 and 7-08AI are only going to be 50-100fps more - all things being equal. If one needs more speed then step up in case size, build a SAUM, WSM, 280 or 7RM.

And with components in short supply these days, why fire-form for an AI? grin

MtnHtr

I have givin the Saum some thought but not much. 25 years in the field with one gun. -06 has done it all with ease. Just want a lighter package and been thinking 7mm for a long time.

Thinking I'll like the 7-08. Thanks guys
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/19/09
What rifle are you getting?
Posted By: DJTex Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/19/09
Originally Posted by oughtsix
I have givin the Saum some thought but not much. 25 years in the field with one gun. -06 has done it all with ease. Just want a lighter package and been thinking 7mm for a long time.

Thinking I'll like the 7-08. Thanks guys

Good call. It's a killer that just gets it done. IMHO, If you want light done right, the Kimber's got your name on it. You'll forget the extra cost (and even a little 'smithing if it's necessary) once you hunt it and begin many years of enjoying it.

DJ
Not tough to make me happy. Could very well be the last rifle I buy. smile
My Montana 7-08 is certainly the last one I would ever sell.

I could be very happy hunting with this rifle from now on - and with today's bullets, there's very little on this continent (or any other for that matter) which I couldn't hunt pretty effectively, if it was all I had.

DJ
Whats your bullet choice in the 7mm-08
Factory Fusion 140's have shot crazy good and done great on whitetails. I haven't worked up a more accurate load, but they've worked so well that I haven't tried much.

It will be almost impossible to get better accuracy, but I'll ultimately run 120 TSX's and duplicate 270 ballistics, and will probably run 120 V-Max or Speer or BT's for cheaper plinking. Be nice if the Speer or BT's will shoot, since they are plenty good hunting bullets.

If I need more, a 140 TSX should be poison on elk, moose and even bears, and there are lots of good heavier 7's if needed; however, I'm not sure any of them are much better than the 120 TSX's or TTSX's.

DJ
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: 7-08AI or 284 win - 03/19/09
Great discussion, but why compromise with either? Get a real mtn. cartridge - go 6.5-284. The best of all worlds! smile
© 24hourcampfire