Home
Been wanting a lightweight rifle but decided not to go ultralight [montana] and i know how to tinker with remingtons.
Also spending half as much was a pretty big influence.

The owner isn't sure of the barrel length -anybody know what it probably is ?
It's not an 18" model.

Are the plastic stocks decent ?

This will be my foul weather rifle for when i move to western oregon.

I'm thinking a 3x9-40 zeiss conquest -talley lightweights -mikes mountain sling -140gr accubonds.?
-Mike
Likely 20" barrel
Had one worked really well, it is a typical Remington stock I replaced mine with a H&S. Does have a 20" barrel. Denny
There is no other rifle that I can think of for a more perfect ligtwieght rifle, although I am biased. The stainless one should sport a 20in barrel. The synthetic stocks are not that bad, but can be replaced with a Mickey and that should make it shine, and the caliber is one of the best whitetail rounds ever!!!
The M/7s in the 7/08 should have the 20" barrel. Good call for a lighter and handier rifle.

The 3x9 Zeiss has some great glass, but will be a heavier and larger scope. I hope that it won`t appear too large, be out of porportion and overwhelm your M7.

I did have a 3x9 4200 on my Ruger Frontier compact, which I decided later was just too big and overwhelming for that rifle. If I remember correctly, your M7 is less than 4" longer than is my compact, which isn`t too much.

If it were me and as a suggestion, I`d be more inclined to put a smaller and lighter variable or fixed scope on a 20" tubed M7.
I'd be running a lighter smaller scope on that gun as well.

Either a Leupie 2-7x or straight 4x, or if rain is going to be a problem, then a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x.

You got a nice gun if it was a good deal. The factory stocks are not really all that bad IMO.
Thanks guys appreciate the info..

20" barrel sounds perfect -i've wished my little cz 221 FB had a bit shorter barrel -it's 21.9".

I have read that many prefer the 2.5x8 32 or a fixed scope but thought the 40mm objective might be a little brighter in the deep woods of oregon with likely overcast skies.
I'll do a little staring/comparing at the 2.5 x 8 -32 it sounds like a more fitting set-up.
Looking forward to getting the little rifle .
-Mike

Also i plan on trying my hand at pillar-bedding -got the bedding down but had yet to pillar bed a gun.
Guessing the guy doesn't own a tape measure?

I think the M7 is a little barrel light for my tastes.
I would go 2x7 or try one of the Compact Leupold's should work great. Nice caliber, as stated prior one of the best for whitetails.
I'd also avoid a compact Leupold like the plague.
6x36 loopy

And then a McEdge

Should be a sweet rig..

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Guessing the guy doesn't own a tape measure?

I think the M7 is a little barrel light for my tastes.

--------------------------------------------------------------

It's a guy selling it for a friend who ain't computer savvy -i bought a rem 7mag from him a couple of years ago.
Don't need computer savvy to work a tape measure.
I guess i could have demanded that the guy [seller] drive over to his friends place with a tape !
Damn straight! Earlier M7's only had 1 screw hole in the rear bridge for scope mount, just for FYI.
On those with one screw hole there is a XP dual dovetail base available that for some reason last I looked wasn't listed for the M7.
I've got the same thing, paired with a Leupold 2-7. Very nice little guns, a little muzzle light but it's served me well over the years.
Damn straight! Earlier M7's only had 1 screw hole in the rear bridge for scope mount, just for FYI.

------------------------------------------------------------
This one has two screws .
Originally Posted by FVA
On those with one screw hole there is a XP dual dovetail base available that for some reason last I looked wasn't listed for the M7.

i'm using those on two of my M7s.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
This one has two screws .

You can get Talley LWs for it.

Thanks guys appreciate the info..

20" barrel sounds perfect -i've wished my little cz 221 FB had a bit shorter barrel -it's 21.9".

I have read that many prefer the 2.5x8 32 or a fixed scope but thought the 40mm objective might be a little brighter in the deep woods of oregon with likely overcast skies.
I'll do a little staring/comparing at the 2.5 x 8 -32 it sounds like a more fitting set-up.
Looking forward to getting the little rifle .
-Mike

Also i plan on trying my hand at pillar-bedding -got the bedding down but had yet to pillar bed a gun.

Well done, Mike. With the 2.5x8 Leupold, my rifle and yours will be identical. The smaller scope adds an aesthetic balance to your overall outfit, and the optics ain't too shabby either. And the Model 7 with the 7-08 in the tube is the cat's meow for deer-size game. You now have your working rifle......
A great western Oregon blacktail rifle; my favorite! Mine is a .358 now, but I killed 6-7 deer with it as a 7-08. Neat rifles.

Agreed with SH; they are a little barrel-light, though the plastic stock should help tons with that compared to my laminate version.

If you are willing to put a physically big scope on there, may I suggest a Conquest 1.8-5.5x38mm. Have one on my M7 and it's low-light performance is stellar; easily beating my Leup 2.5x8's.

On the other hand, a nice light trim Leupold- I like the 2.5x8's a bunch- would look better on the rifle, and work great.

Whatever scope you get, be sure to mount it too far back towards you... grin... (inside joke)...

I'd also avoid a compact Leupold like the plague.

Why would you avoid these, just curious as I have a 3x9 compact and a 2-1/2 and they work pretty well
I'm with the other guys...should be a 20" Bbl...
Also a bit light up front but sure nice to carry!
Nice rig....not a fan of the compact Leupolds either..but really can't tell you why.....
My own lightweight Model Seven...
Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x
This one is a .22-250...stoke it with 53 gr TSXs...its job is to shoot deer....it does.. grin

[Linked Image]

A little drier here, so I can get away with wood/blue..

Ingwe
Just compacts of already existing scopes (read, not the 2.5x), eye-relief/position is seriously compromised in them bastards.
I've killed so much game with my M7 in 7-8 that I don't care that it rarely shoots anything approaching bug-hole groups. All I've ever needed is a Leu 4X compact which doesn't detract as much as most from it's already light front end.

The VXIII 2.5-8 has a 36 mm objective - not too far off that brighter 40 mm. IIRC I read somewhere that a Leupold rep said it's their brightest scope. I think it's one of their best and would be perfect for a 7mm-08.
my M7, 7mm-08 with 1.5-5. Park'd CM. seems to be near me the most. this one does have the 18.5" bbl tho.

[Linked Image]
Ol Mike-
My M7 in 7-08 started with a 3-9x40, then had a 2-7x33, and now wears a 4x33 fixed (all Leupies). The latter two fit the gun much better size wise, and I'll buy you dinner if either scope ever costs you a deer because they don't gather enough light!
Not many people actually routinely hunt till last legal light, though the concept gets ample verbiage. Unless you count "hunting out" (chickening out and bailing from your stand early, basically).

Very low light is not a Leupold strength, though they have others... I love my Loop's for what they do well but I'm not gonna get all gooey about their low-light performance... latest-gen VX3's excluded as I have not tried them yet.

I'm a zeiss conquest guy all the way..

Low light performance is important to me -i mainly predator hunt and very often start calling as soon as i can see 50-60yds..
And also sit out a p.m. calling set until i wouldn't be able to shoot due to darkness.

I had a 3x9-40 conquest on a browning a-bolt -sold both- and it didn't seem like a big scope to me.Probably due too the fact that i have a couple of 6.5x20-50's.
But i'm giving the 2.5x8 a looking over.
Ol' Mike, in that case let me say again that my M7 is a rifle I use pretty much exclusively for western Oregon blacktail, and I've not been shy about changing it around to make it "perfect".

The 1.8-5.5 Conquest is perfect. smile Unbelievable low-light performance, huge field of view, just fantastic.

BIG scope, but the deer haven't laughed at it yet.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Not many people actually routinely hunt till last legal light, though the concept gets ample verbiage. Unless you count "hunting out" (chickening out and bailing from your stand early, basically).

The light quits, for sure, sometimes, but the hunting hours never do...

[Linked Image]

Admittedly, the camera's flash can change one's perspective for what the light actually was. However, on December 21 north of the 63rd latitude, the period and quality of light isn't the best. Still, Leu's 4Xs haven't let me down; and they're a really good fit on the M7.
I've never had a problem hunting from legal light 'til legal dark with Leuy's or even Weavers.
I have a M7 in 7-08 with the 18" barrel that my son commandeered but the one I have now looks amazingly like Ingwe's but in 7-08. I can't imagine putting some big honking scope on a M7. Might as well put one of those 50mm jobs with see thru mounts smile. (that was a joke)
I agree that it is a bit muzzle light and does take a little practice. And too, a bipod on the end helps smooth things out on a moving shot.
The stocks suck like most all the injected molded ones do.

I'd pass on the Compacts too.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Not many people actually routinely hunt till last legal light, though the concept gets ample verbiage. Unless you count "hunting out"

Damn near everyone I know hunts til last legal light. Based on gunshots, some of the neighbors hunt a good 10-15 minutes after it.
My M7s have wood stocks. One is some sort of dyed pallet wood but the other is a nice piece of walnut.
I can't speak for others but my bunch needs flashlights to get in and out of the woods.
I have a Model 7 in a 7mm.08 and love it! It the gun I grab when using a climbing tree stand because of its weight and size. I mounted a Kahles 2-7x36 scope on it and it is perfect for that gun. I have killed several bucks at "10 past dark" before with that rig and the Kahles had no problem picking up enough light to make a clean humane kill.
I have posted before this week that I just traded for a
Ruger 77 RSI stainless in 7mm-08 trying to decide on a scope for it and a factory load also I have never had any 7mm-08 before
I love the 18 1/2 in. barrel and open sights on this little gun
the full length wood stock and stainless look better than I thought they would. I am thinking of pulling my Zeiss 2.5x8x32
Conquest off of my WBY MARK V 270 roy and putting it on the RSI
7MM-08 Might be just the ticket for Alabama Deer
WAR EAGLE!!!
AMRA
Well the "i'll take it" doesn't mean you'll get it.

Guy wouldn't answer my pm's until tonight -said he didn't get my pm's or email and the guy [his friend] decided to keep it.
Bunch of crap imo....

bastids !!!!!!!
What kind of weight are you guy's seeing with the stock black plastic stock and say a Leupold VXIII 1.5x5? Thanks
There's one for sale right here in the classifieds...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Remington_model_7_stainless#Post3669565
Originally Posted by ReadyRob
I have a Model 7 in a 7mm.08 and love it! It the gun I grab when using a climbing tree stand because of its weight and size. I mounted a Kahles 2-7x36 scope on it and it is perfect for that gun. I have killed several bucks at "10 past dark" before with that rig and the Kahles had no problem picking up enough light to make a clean humane kill.

ReadyRob, would it be possible for you to post a couple of pics of this rig, I was also considering the Kahles for mine and was curious how it would look - Thanks, Uncle Soapy.
Had a model 7 SS with a HS stock, no comparison to the factory plastic, with a 3-9x40 Conquest in Talley fixed bases/rings. The Zeiss was right at home on the sucker. No problemos.
© 24hourcampfire