Home
Of the 3 which one would you pick for elk and bear?
Whelen
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Whelen

Yep, me too.
Of the three listed choices: Whelen
I picked the Whelen. I fact, I bought mine at a gun show where there was also a Savage 99 in .358. While the Savage was also a nice rifle, I've never doubted my decision for a second.

Chuck
Hmmmmm, let me think on that one.... wink smile
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Hmmmmm, let me think on that one.... wink smile

grin
Hands down - Whelen
358 vs 35Whelen is kinda like 308 vs 30/06. Not a huge difference.

A sweet carrying 99 in .358 ain't a bad thing.
A sweet carrying 71 in .348 ain't a bad thing.

Guess it comes down to if you want to carry a lever or a bolt because all will do a fine job.
Ahhh you can't go wrong with any choice there but according to your uses I'd go whelen.
I don't know a thing about this but logic says a 1-12 twisted whelen
If'n I wanted to carry a lever action; 348
If'n I wanted to go ultralight; 358
If'n I was concerned about a few yards extry reach; 35 Whelen
Guessing a Whelen, but these 2 didn't like it much

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What rifle do you want to carry? Any of the cartridges will work with handloads.
Posted By: KDK Re: 358win vs 348 win vs 35 Whelen - 05/09/10
I did choose a Whelen for my first big game rifle, and as long as the rain is not coming down in buckets, I still pack it.
Whelen
Is that a pig next to the bear?
.358, in a Model 7, 20" tube for a compact woods rifle. It'll run about 100 fps behind a Whelen and, well, we all know how much 100 fps matters....

But if a guy is into running a "big" rifle they might as well go Whelen.

I love my .348's but would have to strongly consider the Whelen.
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Is that a pig next to the bear?

That's a bear next to its hide.
laugh

Mebbe tomorrow
Originally Posted by Aileinduinn
If'n I wanted to carry a lever action; 348
If'n I wanted to go ultralight; 358
If'n I was concerned about a few yards extry reach; 35 Whelen

Yep, That!
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Of the 3 which one would you pick for elk and bear?

I chose the Whelen. Ruger Hawkeye stainless. Very cool rifle. I worried that the slow twist might present problems. It didnt.
I have been thinking of a Whelen too.. Wonder how much more kick than my .308..
Originally Posted by SoTexasH

Noticeably more, but its not bad. That is assuming similar weight rifles. If your 308 is an ultralight there might not be much difference at all. My Ruger weighs about 8 pounds complete and recoil is not unpleasant due to good stock design and a real good recoil pad.
Originally Posted by SoTexasH

I had my 22" 7600 Whelen 4 port magnaported (not muzzle brake) and it felt like a pop gun after that. Kinda like a 8.5 lb 270 except that it was a 7.5 lb 35 Whelen if that helps.
I don't think it was that picture he was talking about. wink
I was waiting for that....
Gottcha!!!
Pick which ever one you want - Whelen, next time I'm in Wi, let's get together for a pint!!
35 Whelen.
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Guess it comes down to if you want to carry a lever or a bolt because all will do a fine job.

+1
Whelen. 225gr TSX at 2700fps, what's not to like.
Whelen.
I had a pre-64 M/70 rebored to .35 Whelen, it is a great rifle. For deer I handload 225 gr. Speer bullets, for larger game I shoot Fedaral's 225 gr. Trophy Bonded Bearclaw load.
358 Win
hornet

A pint? Maybe. Two or three? Absolutely! PM me and let me know when you are passing through.

WN
Remington 7600 Carbine in 35 Whelen
225 gr Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw
End Of Story Ca'mon!! Hawooooooooooo

Here's Mine...
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv314/wonksy/012.jpg
35 Whelen.. 225gr Partitions..
Whelen..

....I don't care about short actions or anything that fits them....'cept a 223 and a 7/08....
I agree 100% with Bob on the short action. Just don't see the point.
Now, a nice lever action, I can understand that.
I don't see the point in putting a 250 Savage in a magazine that will accept a 3.6" round, or a 223 or a 22/250 or a........
I like the 300 Savage very much, have always had one around in one form or another for 25 years. I guess I could have built it on a long action Remington, but not sure what another 3/4" of magazine would have done for me, except cause me to get it blocked.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
For me for day in day out get it done on elk I'd pick a bolt gun in 35 Whelen with a 6x36 Leo with dotz in it. But for style and kool points plus a ton load of fun I'd love to sneaky pete the timber with a 71 Carbine.

Short story-first time I guided a client I heard he was a Dr, I thought of boy here comes a fella with a new shiny mag he'll be not used to. Boy was I ever wrong, the old boy showed up with a 88 with a 4x on it and a...71 Carbine in 348. I knew right off we'd have a great hunt!

Dober
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't see the point in putting a 250 Savage in a magazine that will accept a 3.6" round, or a 223 or a 22/250 or a........

Scott:...Nor do I,and I withdraw the statement as far as the 22-250 is concerned.Short action makes plenty of sense there,as it does with the 250 Savage;but I have BTDT and have no interest in the 250 anymore.I was mostly referring to BG rifles;not 22 CF's. smile
Duh!
As was I since I've never owned a .22CF nor am I likely to in the future.
Mark, do you remember what the Docs 99 was chambered for?
If I recall right it was an 88 and in 308

Dober
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Duh!

LOL! grin
The 358 has been a pet for as long as I can remember and chose it over the others for no real reason other than it fascinates me. However, if I didn't already have the 358 and had a long action that needed a new barrel, I 'd go with the Whelen. But only because I have three 9.3x62s.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
If I recall right it was an 88 and in 308

Dober

DOH!
88, 99, they're all the same right! blush

A 71 seems heavy to me. I can't see "sweet carrying" and 71 in the same sentence.
8 lbs is as light as I'd want a .348 and with it's perfect balance point and wonderful pointing ability I'd still go with sweet carrying.
Posted By: CLB Re: 358win vs 348 win vs 35 Whelen - 05/10/10
Whelen with 225gr AB's
I love 35's. For elk and bear I'd go Whelen....but I sure do like the .358 Win.

JCM
Three peas in a pod. Whichever one is housed in the rifle you want. I have had some 358's and will likely own another but my current favorite 35 is my Original model 71 Deluxe in 348AI. ITCHIN to perforate something with my 250gr Barnes Originals runnin 2550 smile
I think the question answers itself when you decide what rifle you want. I can't see where the differences are otherwise vast enough to matter a whole lot.

I happen to favor this size:

[Linked Image]

and it works:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I was mostly referring to BG rifles;not 22 CF's. smile

Prayers sent.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like the 300 Savage very much, have always had one around in one form or another for 25 years. I guess I could have built it on a long action Remington, but not sure what another 3/4" of magazine would have done for me, except cause me to get it blocked.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Do you have problems with the TTSX's WAYY over penetrating? I bet the BC sucks too, you sure handicapped that 300 Savages long range capabilities...
Steelhead

That's a heck of a bear!!!!

T
Well, I choose the Whelen. But then, I also like the .358. I did have an M71 back around 1959. Wish I still had that one.
Paul B.
Because of this damn forum I've been starting to dream about a Winchester 71 and just handled a few a couple hours ago, now I want one even more
They feel nice in the hand don't they Cal?

They point like your finger too.

Ah levers yuck.

what about a .366 Whelen ?
That would be a 9.3x62.

To muddy the already murky waters of this thread still more.... How about a 9.3x62 in a model 1895??? smile

Love my AI'ed model 71 Deluxe so much it made my custom model 88 in 358WIN expendable, now have sold it off.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
For me for day in day out get it done on elk I'd pick a bolt gun in 35 Whelen with a 6x36 Leo with dotz in it. But for style and kool points plus a ton load of fun I'd love to sneaky pete the timber with a 71 Carbine.

Short story-first time I guided a client I heard he was a Dr, I thought of boy here comes a fella with a new shiny mag he'll be not used to. Boy was I ever wrong, the old boy showed up with a 88 with a 4x on it and a...71 Carbine in 348. I knew right off we'd have a great hunt!

Dober

off topic but :
so strange my first one too was with a 88 and 308 and a fixed 4x my last too (last season ...).
both were docs too ...
They feel nice in the hand don't they Cal?

They point like your finger too.

Very nice

To broke to even think about it now, but someday.....

Handled a deluxe Browning today as well, nice and I can see some of the points some people make about these but I want an original Winchester.
Get the Browning, then you will not feel guilty or be drawn an quartered by the Winchester collectors for getting it AI'ed. Mine came to me that way or I would not have done that to an original Model 71, let alone a 71 Deluxe. Doing so really does up the performance and case life of the grand old 348.
35 Whelen.
I own 2 one a 7600 35 Whelen pump & also have a LH 35 Whelen Imp. in Ruger 77. 250 gr bullet around 2500 works great.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/92676/1
Well, it seems like everyone else has weighed in so ... eeny meeny miney moe. Take your pick, I have all three grin.

Originally Posted by kk alaska
35 Whelen.
I own 2 one a 7600 35 Whelen pump & also have a LH 35 Whelen Imp. in Ruger 77. 250 gr bullet around 2500 works great.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/92676/1

kk alaska, I have a 7600 in 35 Whelen just like that one. Mine was made in 1988 according to Remington. Yours looks to have a nicer finish on it and a recoil pad, which I should add. I linked the pic of yours so we could see it here:

[Linked Image]
My personal preference would be for the .348 Win., complete with ghost ring and a handful of Hornady's. Its one of my all time favs.

Joseph
I whined until Ol Blue finally relented and sold it to me. Mel put the pad on and I refinished it in a oil finish. It shoots great very fast to operate for a lefty.
Posted By: CP Re: 358win vs 348 win vs 35 Whelen - 05/12/10
I had a Model 71 .348 Win and currently have a .358 Win and a Whelen. As good as the .348 Win and .358 Win are, the Whelen is a little better elk rifle in my view. Although I have killed the vast majority of my elk under 225 yds., I have shot three over 300 yds. in past five years and that is really Whelen country for me. CP.
Few rifles handle like a M71....but I would still take a bolt 35 Whelen.....on a Mauser 98 or M70 stocked by Biesen or Ottmar smile
© 24hourcampfire