Home
Posted By: navyman20 300 win mag bullets - 05/03/11
alright, so im going to start reloading my my ruger m77 300 wm in the near future, and am looking at using the nosler bt 165 for deer sized game, and 165 grain accubonds for elk and bigger since ive heard the accubonds shoot identical to the BT's...i know for sure they have the same specs(bc,etc) anybody shoot a similar set up to confirm this? or at least interchange bt's and accubonds depending on the game they are after? thanks fellas
Brian
Posted By: safariman Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/03/11
Shoot 165 or 168gr Barnes TSX or TTSX's and you will have one bullet that will do everything a 30 cal should be asked to do, with terrific accuracy, and better than the other two bullets at any game and at any reasonable range. Easy as that.
BTW, I really like your choice of rifle and cartridge, by the way. Pretty much a perfect rifle for the classes of game you are mentioning. If I had to choose one rifle for all US hunting, that one in that caliber would be on my very short list. What glass ya got on it?
RE the bullet I suggested above will also do for Moose of any flavor, Griz, or any plains game in Africa quite nicely, too. Get you a few hundred, load 'em up, and start killin stuff Whatever, whenever, wherever. No reason to make it more difficult than that.
Posted By: navyman20 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/03/11
i got a vortex viper 3.5-10x50 on it right now..and i dropped it in a hogue full aluminum bedded stock..havent shot it since those changes, but if it shoots like it feels, itll be a winner..and the tsx/ttsx are right up there on my list for top bullets..might have to get me a box or 2 of them
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/03/11
Originally Posted by safariman
Shoot 165 or 168gr Barnes TSX or TTSX's and you will have one bullet that will do everything a 30 cal should be asked to do, with terrific accuracy, and better than the other two bullets at any game and at any reasonable range. Easy as that.

I agree with this....never spent much time working up loads for "deer" bullets.Because I don't know exactly what I'll be hunting in a given year,I just loaded a tougher bullet, suited to anything I might go after.

Elk bullets work really well on deer smile
I do agree w/ this, but i have heard great things about the accubond, and if i had the nbt that shot the same, but are cheaper to shoot, i prolly would have my bases covered..and w/ me still bein on active duty my out of state hunts are planned well in advance to have the set up in using up and ready over a year out
It might be that one of the other cheaper bullets would shoot close enough to POI when the gun was sighted in with TTSX's to be useful for practice so you could still practice and good off with the AB or BT bullets and then just load the TTSX's into the magazine when going hunting. Worth a try if bullet cost is a major factor to you. Midway and others oft have Barnes Bullets on special or sale so if it were me I would look for such and then get 4 or 5 boxes of the TTSX version then call it good. Bullet cost has not been a factor for me when building ammo for hunting. It is such a small part of the financial equation, and is THE part of the equipment that actually does the work at the moment of truth. Less expensive bullets are a false economy, IMO.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/03/11
I use 180 Barnes TTSX for serious work and Sierra 180 Boat tails for practice. pretty much the same point of impact. 2 elk with the 180 Barnes. Lots of damage and full pass through.

Lefty C
Posted By: MightyPeace Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/03/11
180gr Accubonds are my medicine. Same with 2 other buddies shooting the same cailier and one buddy with a 300WSM.

180gr TTSX's would be my next pick. The 165-168gr too would be good in the TSX/TTSX. 165gr AB's also.

I prefer the 180's for my hunting here in Alberta.
Personally I'd stay away from the NBT, and go AB's!!
i have heard good things about the nbt's from other members, and my main use for them would be on whitetails or similar sized game, and the more solid bullet on the big ones, or whenever i felt like using them..i got some time to decide what i wanna shoot tho
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/03/11
They're the most accurate bullets I've ever fired out of my hunting rigs.
navy: Of course you practice with a cheaper bullet....only makes sense.But I am talking about "hunting", not practice. smile
I agree w/ ya but, but if i get 2 bullets w/ the same exact specs and shoot exactly the same for when i make my dope sheet for the gun, id go that route so im more or less, "practicing how i hunt"..and for the once a year i go after something bigger than deer, the AB's would work as good as anything else if i know where to put the bullet at...im kinda a KISS type of guy, and dont like that have to mess around w/ stuff once i get it how i want. But i do appreciate your input on other options
navy I think we are saying the same thing smile
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
For deer sized game the Remington 180 grain CoreLokt is very accurate, cheap, and deadly.

I would avoid the Nosler BT.
Posted By: navyman20 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
Bobin i think your right...but for arguments sake i win :p jk lol...

And swampy if i may ask what is your reasoning behind straying away from the nbt? For a handload what is your bullet of choice?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
Originally Posted by navyman20
alright, so im going to start reloading my my ruger m77 300 wm in the near future, and am looking at using the nosler bt 165 for deer sized game, and 165 grain accubonds for elk and bigger since ive heard the accubonds shoot identical to the BT's...i know for sure they have the same specs(bc,etc) anybody shoot a similar set up to confirm this? or at least interchange bt's and accubonds depending on the game they are after? thanks fellas
Brian

Just use one bullet to do it all. No sense in making it any harder than it has to be.
Had some really bad luck with the Nosler BT. I'll never use them again.
Originally Posted by Swampman700

Now swampy, it wasn't the bullets fault you shot the deer in the azz laugh whistle
Bsa, what bullet would you use for a primarily beanfield whitetail gun that will also go elk hunting, and caribou in 2013 after i get back from deployment? Im lookin to stay w/ a 165 grain bullet, but cant decide which one i want
If your looking for a real good bullet for practice or hell even hunting for that matter, I'd look at the 180 gr. Hornady spbt in that 300. They're damn cheap for practice, pretty accurate, and hell on game grin
I cant fault ya swampy for your reasoning w/o seein how it went down, but what non factory bullet would you suggest?
I cant fault ya swampy for your reasoning w/o seein how it went down, but what non factory bullet would you suggest?

Cool that you were a Seabee. My dad was a Seabee.

Remington Core-Lokt 180, or Sierra GameKing 180 for deer size game.
The 165 hornady interlock spbt shoots pretty good in my 300:

[Linked Image]
This was 10 shots (first 5 then made a 2 click adjustment to the right with the last 5).

Got another one just like it from last saturday at a shoot I participated in laugh.
[Linked Image]
Can't go wrong with your choice of the accubond either, but if you like to shoot a lot like I do the Hornady is your huckelberry grin. Besides it's fun watching the expression on the guys face when they come up to you and say, "oh your using hunting bullets" blush
Posted By: GF1 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11

Yeah, this buck didn't think much of the 120 grain Ballistic Tip either, from a .264 at 125 yards. They are no good.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
I agree w/ ya but, but if i get 2 bullets w/ the same exact specs and shoot exactly the same for when i make my dope sheet for the gun, id go that route so im more or less, "practicing how i hunt"..and for the once a year i go after something bigger than deer, the AB's would work as good as anything else if i know where to put the bullet at...im kinda a KISS type of guy, and dont like that have to mess around w/ stuff once i get it how i want. But i do appreciate your input on other options

A 165-gn NBT at 300 WM speeds is gonna be vicious on meat. Personally, I'd use a heavier, tougher bullet... keeping in the Nosler family a 180-NBT and 180-NAB pairing make more sense to me.

I load the 200-gn Accubond in my 300 WM and believe it to be an excellent all-around choice- one of the best if not the best. Just IMHO.

that you were a Seabee. My dad was a Seabee. [/quote]

Its a fun job, i cant complain, but it looks like the 165 interlocksshoot pretty good for ya..will have to give them a look
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

A 165-gn NBT at 300 WM speeds is gonna be vicious on meat. Personally, I'd use a heavier, tougher bullet... keeping in the Nosler family a 180-NBT and 180-NAB pairing make more sense to me.

I load the 200-gn Accubond in my 300 WM and believe it to be an excellent all-around choice- one of the best if not the best. Just IMHO.

I have looked at the 200 accubonds, but i think thats a lil heavier than id like to go
that you were a Seabee. My dad was a Seabee.

Its a fun job, i cant complain, but it looks like the 165 interlocksshoot pretty good for ya..will have to give them a look [/quote]

They're great for cheap practice. My 300 win mag loves the 200 gr accubond like Jeff was mentioning and also the 180 partition. I like the old saying "if ever in doubt use a partition" grin. Just can't go wrong with the good ol partition. I've never used the accubond on game before, but hear they are fabulous. The partition on the other hand I know is a game getter grin, and surprisingly accurate in most of my rifles.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
I like the 180 gr. Ballistic Tip. Shoots great in my .300 Win Mag and has a good B.C. for long range. Accubond 180's shoot almost as tight. I use the B.T.'s on deer and if I'm going after tougher game, the Accubond.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
Originally Posted by GF1
[quote=Swampman700]Had some really bad luck with the Nosler BT. I'll never use them again.

Translation: I ran out of bullets...

Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by GF1
[quote=Swampman700]Had some really bad luck with the Nosler BT. I'll never use them again.

Translation: I ran out of bullets...

Bullet selection for butt shooting very small deer from a golf cart could get tedious and technical, no doubt about it...
looks like the nbt's are shootin great for you dirtfarmer!! im still leaning towards the 165s tho...i dont see the 165 grain accubond not bein a stellar performer on elk or caribou, and ill get a lil flatter shooting..have you by chance tried the 165 bt's out of your 300 wm?
Writing on above target:

11-2-08, Clear day, no wind.

5 shots into 3/4", 4 into 3/8".

180 gr. Ballistic Tips, 74.6 gr. RL-22, GM 215M primer.

Once fired, neck sized W/W cases using Lee Collet sizer.

Additional info not on target:

Bullets seated with Wilson seater/arbor press.

Runout measured and corrected to .001.

Powder charges individually weighed.

DF
thanks for the info! i may break down and just get 180s, but for some reason i want to give the 165s a run
180's in the 300 WM are like peanut butter and jelly.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
I recently started playing with the Barnes 175gr LRX in my .300 WSM. Pretty sleek bullet. Here's once next to a 180gr SST for comparaison.

[Linked Image]
looks like the nbt's are shootin great for you dirtfarmer!! im still leaning towards the 165s tho...i dont see the 165 grain accubond not bein a stellar performer on elk or caribou, and ill get a lil flatter shooting..have you by chance tried the 165 bt's out of your 300 wm?

I use the heavier 180's because I like B.T.'s, but realize they can be pretty explosive. By using heavier bullets at slower speed, my reasoning is I can justify using them. I'm pushing them at 3,050 fps or so. I'm think that lighter bullets would be moving too fast and may blow up on deer sized game. B.T.'s are some of the most accurate hunting bullets, IMHO. I also like their high B.C. for long range shooting, other than VLD's, probably the highest in their class at around .507. And, at extended range, they still have great expansion. Accubonds are tougher, just not quite as accurate in my experience. They have the same shape, same B.C. and POI, making them a good substitute when needed.

A few years back, I was in a deer stand and a bunch of hogs entered a shooting lane. With this load, I shot a 250# sow in the head at 150 yds. and before they could all move away, shot an 80# pig in the head at 175 yds. I was on my cell phone with my wife, planning how we were going to process all this pork, when several pigs returned to the scene. I think they were her litter, even though they were all 80#'s or so. I was able to shoot two more in the head, the last at 200 yds. I had 4 head shot hogs all lined up. These 180 gr. Ballistic Tips, tore those hogs up really bad. The most damage was on the entrance side, looking like something a Claymore would have done. Hogs were DRT, no doubt, but I was shocked at the damage. My 6.5-284 with 140 gr. SST's at 2,950 will shoot through a hog's head, no explosive entrance wound, just a nice entrance and nice exit. I would use SST's or similar in this gun, except B.T.'s are the most accurate I've tried. I use 150 gr. B.T.'s in my .308, but at 2,800 fps. They're also the most accurate in that gun.

Bottom line and in my experience, Ballistic Tips are some of the most accurate hunting bullets available, just a bit too fragile and explosive if one doesn't watch the speed. And, even then, they can be pretty volatile.

DF
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
Originally Posted by RDFinn
180's in the 300 WM are like peanut butter and jelly.

x2....you can purty much hunt the world with 180 Partitions. As bsa said, Interlocks will do a helluva job too.
Originally Posted by BCSteve
I recently started playing with the Barnes 175gr LRX in my .300 WSM. Pretty sleek bullet. Here's once next to a 180gr SST for comparaison.

[Linked Image]

If I was going after elk, etc, I'd be looking at a Barnes load. With Whitetails, I'm afraid a heavy Barnes will shoot thru without enough expansion. If I was going to use Barnes, I'd go with a lighter bullet at high speed, i.e. 130 gr at 3,000+ in a .308 and in the .300 Win Mag, probably a 150 gr. cranked up as hot as I could accurately shoot it. That way, I'd be hoping for optimal expansion. I've never been able to get Barnes to shoot as tight at the Nosler B.T.'s, although pretty close in some cases. They're good bullets. Because they're of lighter material, they're long for weight as compared with lead cup and core bullets. One can justify backing off the weight and push the velocity. With Barnes, one doesn't need a lot of bullet weight for penetration but velocity is needed to peal those petals back to max expansion. The TTSX, reportedly, is better than the TSX in this regard and has a higher B.C. due to it's more streamlined profile.

IMHO, of course.

DF
dirtfarmer, your responses here are just what i needed to help w/ my decision...even tho i would like to shoot a 165 grain bullet, but would more than likely do a lil too much damage on deer sized game..guess i better start lookin at 180s...it does seem like thats the golden ticket w/ these guns, just thought a 165 would be sweet w/ how flat it shot
Posted By: the_shootist Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
Whoever said to load 165 or 168 Barnes TSX or the tipped version is exactly right. One bullet, one load, multiple applications on game. I use mine for deer and moose -- same bullet, same load, same results -- meat in the pot. wink
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[If I was going after elk, etc, I'd be looking at a Barnes load. With Whitetails, I'm afraid a heavy Barnes will shoot thru without enough expansion. ...
DF

FWIW, the antelope we have shot with 165g .30 cal TTSXs have all dropped at the shot. After a bad experience with a 7mm 160g XLC on antelope I could never bring myself to use another XLC or even a TSX on game. The TTSX and MRX have both been great, antelope to elk.
If accuracy is all you're looking for, then the Nosler BT will be ok.

They suck on game.
If accuracy is all you're looking for, then the Nosler BT will be ok.

They suck on game.

Remington Core-Lokt, right?

I got 4 out of 5 bullets in one hole. Unfortunately, my Ed Brown Damara isn't a used Model 700, or they would have all been in one hole...

B.T.'s do well on game if one understands their strong points and their weaknesses. Accuracy is stellar and one has to first hit a target before worrying about bullet performance. Outside the swamp, there are some long range opportunities where a premier bullet comes into its own, Remington Core-Lokts notwithstanding.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
My big dilemma when I moved into the 300 Win Mag was simply the choice between the 180 gr Partition, regular vs Protected Point.
Both shoot well, but a slight accuracy edge to the PP.
Were I starting over, I would look at the 200 gr Partition, simply because some of the "newer" powders are producing some impressive velocities. Since this rifles is my long range rig, the heavier bullet tends to perform a little better when the need to reach out and touch'em is likely.
Can't beat the Core-Lokt for performance and accuracy on deer size game.
Posted By: doubletap Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
Swampy,
It's time to shoot your second deer and post a picture.

PS .... Shoot it in the front half.
He's got the golf cart on a trickle charger.........be patient.
Do they make off-road traction tires for golf carts?
Don't think he would need them.
Haha...swampy is tryin to help..gotta give him credit for that...but i think im gonna go w/ the 180 grain interlocks and nbt's and see which one my gun likes the best..you guys have been really helpful..thanks again
Haha...swampy is tryin to help..gotta give him credit for that...but i think im gonna go w/ the 180 grain interlocks and nbt's and see which one my gun likes the best..you guys have been really helpful..thanks again

Swampy has a long history of "trying to help". These comments by so many didn't evolve in a vacuum...

Sometime when you have absolutely nothing to do, check out some of his tidbits of "wisdom" and see if they make any sense to you...
I've found that in my 300 win mag, 180 gr Nosler Partitions and 180 grain Sierra Pro-hunters shoot pretty close to each other.
Posted By: logcutter Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
I use nothing but 180 Noslers in my .300..I have tried 200's but didn't like them..

Jayco

I have looked at the 200 accubonds, but i think thats a lil heavier than id like to go

Just for the sake of discussion- because let me say, there's a whole bunch of ways to skin this one, and very few of them suck, grin- why not the heavier bullet?

The 200-grain Accubond will likely have a muzzle velocity around 2900 fps, and that's fairly meat- friendly with an Accubond (NAB). So it's arguably better up close than the 165 or 180 NBT or NAB, unless you slow them down a bit. Plus, on an elk it should out-penetrate either of the above on average.

It's also going to be a good quick killer due to how NAB's work. You might give up a LITTLE "thunderbolt effect" to the 165-NBT but then again, I do think you run the risk of jellying half a deer with the 165, too. smile

With it's BC of .588 it's the best of the bunch out further, too. It is an excellent longer-range bullet.

On the negative side, it'll kick a bit more, won't be QUITE as flat-shooting, and costs more. I'll go grab a "flatness" number for you here to put it in perspective.

I wouldn't waste my money on expensive bullet. The 180 Core-Lokt is plenty on deer size game. Anything is better than the Nosler BT.
With the 165-NBT, you have dropped 39.6" at 500 yards. With the 200-NAB, it's 43". So a 3-1/2" difference in drop at 500 yds. But the 200-gn just spanks the 165 at the things that matter out far like that.

Just IMHO.
But it won't kill a dink at point blank.
Posted By: SwampAss700 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11
I wouldn't waste my money on expensive bullet. The 180 Core-Lokt is plenty on deer size game. Anything is better than the Nosler BT.

Sometimes we just whittle bullets for plinkers like the 300 mag from bull rushes down in the swamp. Be careful of them gators if you try this. But if we step up to 'em heavy hitters like the thutty thutty or the aught 6 you need a real bullet like the Core Locked. They hit hard.
Posted By: Swampman700 The real deal... - 05/04/11
imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: The real deal... - 05/04/11
imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Satire isn't necessarily flattery...

Pretty funny...
U got a point there jeff, ive decided to keep the 300 a lil more meat friendly im gonna got w/ a 180 grain bullet, either nab/nbt(for practice and deer) or the hornady interlock...gonna see which one the ruger likes and go from there..but im not counting out the 200 grain nab just yet, bc it def would hit like a mack truck and anchor about anything..just for an idea of what kinda load for the 200 grain nab, what do you run for yours jeff? Powder/amount,coal,and what rifle/barrel length is it comin out of? After lookin at the 200 grain accubonds yesterday in person they def have my attention
Jeff,

I follow your logic and your ideas are sound. The 200's would be superior at very long range and with bigger game. Where I hunt, the 180 is plenty and with my rifle shooting the 180 B.T.'s quite well, I'm hanging there. Also the very similar handling 180 Accubonds makes a potent one-two punch. I can set up a ballistic turret for those bullets and never look back. That combo will handle about anything I'm going to shoot. Besides, it take too much work to start over with another bullet weight and go thru what it takes to find the optimal load, perfect jump, etc.

KISS sounds better than admitting I'm too lazy to develop another load...

DF

I thought that tidbit was from your dissertation on the 7mm-08. This thread is about the .300 Win Mag. Different round. Are you now saying that the .300 Win Mag, like the 7mm-08, won't kill a deer?

Maybe it's not the ctgs, but your golf cart front gun turret. May need tightening up a bit...

Looking at your many posts, for sure, something needs tightening up...
This problem was the Nosler BT. It's bullets we are talkin' about.
Posted By: CLB Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/04/11

Guessing they bounce off in the swamp...

Almost forgot. I would love to see a photo of the last trophy "dink" you harvested from your neck of the swamp...

Need all the details, how fast, how far, which Model 700 you used, which Core-Lokt. Would love to see close ups of dink tissue damage from that screaming Core-Lokt and the golf cart "gunship" set up...
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/05/11
U got a point there jeff, ive decided to keep the 300 a lil more meat friendly im gonna got w/ a 180 grain bullet, either nab/nbt(for practice and deer) or the hornady interlock...gonna see which one the ruger likes and go from there..but im not counting out the 200 grain nab just yet, bc it def would hit like a mack truck and anchor about anything..just for an idea of what kinda load for the 200 grain nab, what do you run for yours jeff? Powder/amount,coal,and what rifle/barrel length is it comin out of? After lookin at the 200 grain accubonds yesterday in person they def have my attention

�� This is a hot load so work up !!

73 gr RL22
Win brass
Fed 215 mag primer
2940 fps from a 26" barrel

COAL is over 3.6" and puts the bullet ogive right up at the lands (long throat) but that's something rifle-specific obviously. I'd expect 3.6"+ to be too long for many/most 300WM's.

The thing is, there's overkill then there's overkill. Overkill with velocity and especially velocity and a fragile bullet combined, can make a real mess. Overkill with more bullet weight and the resulting lower speeds is just overpenetration. With a bullet like the Accubond, which will fragment some, it's still going to kill fast. So in this particular case I see superior short-range performance AND superior long rang performance. Win-win.

I could make do with 180's <grin>; that's a great way to go too.

I was shooting my 300WM today in fairly blustery conditions; those 200 NAB's really drill the wind.

All just IMHO and hey- I'm no expert here, just chipping in with what's working for me and why.
Posted By: navyman20 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/05/11
That sounds like a really slick set up jeff!...i only got a 24 inch barrel, but still could prolly get close to 2900 fps out of mine(gonna have to work up a load first), but ill put the 200 grain accubonds on my list of bullets to try..can never kll something too dead right? Lol
Posted By: statjunk Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/05/11
Hello all,

My only issue with the "which is the best bullet" discussions is that the same bullet can perform very differently depending on many factors. I've had complete pass throughs with the same bullet that I've had explode inside of a deer the next time. Seems there is no ryhme or reason to it.

The one bullet that has performed very consistently for me is the Nosler Accubond. For deer I feel that the Accubond is a bad bullet. My experience is there is very little expansion. I confirmed this when I shot a very large elk with one and then entry and exit holes were nearly the same size. Even though it hit rib on both sides.

With all that said, I've never failed to find a deer shot with a bullet in the vitals. Some of them go a ways but they all end up on the ground.

I hate to say this but I agree with swampy, for more than just the average hunter, the core-lok is likely all that anyone needs. Accuracy for me has been fair to good too.

Tom
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/05/11
Interesting. The two times I shot deer with Accubonds they sure expanded. Yours might be the first report I've read of a NAB pencilling!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
Originally Posted by statjunk

I hate to say this but I agree with swampy
Tom

Steady there, Tom.

I understand what you're saying about the NAB's, but agreeing with Swampy is a slippery slope into the dark and murky deep...
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
BTW, Tom. Which Accubond bullet and how fast were you pushing it?
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
Agreed. If you place accuracy very far down the list, then any cheap bullet will work on whitetails.
Posted By: navyman20 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
accuracy is definately the reason i am going to start reloading exclusively for all my rifles...that and itll be a good hobby to get into..i have a 1000 yard range within an hour of where i just moved to so i plan to play a lil bit
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
I've had excelent accuracy with 180 Accubonds and the 168 gr Barnes TTSX shoot very well in both of my 300WM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
looks like you found a winner w/ both bullets ackley!

300 win mags just seem to want to shoot, you won't have any trouble finding a good load with these bullets.. Have fun!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

300 win mags just seem to want to shoot, you won't have any trouble finding a good load with these bullets.. Have fun!

Isn't this the truth.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
It's the short neck...........
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
And the belt............
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
Don't know what the reason, but they tend to be shooters with very little work. Just don't tell my 300 wsm grin.
Lets hope my 300 wm will want to shoot good, so far its impressed me..now i just gotta make up some loads and see what shes really capable of
Keep us updated and if you need more info, feel free to ask!
Posted By: statjunk Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
BTW, Tom. Which Accubond bullet and how fast were you pushing it?

I own a chrony but I never use it. So can't comment on speed. With that said it's a relatively hot round but not the hottest it can be. The 180gr Accubond.

My 300WM really Sierra SP BT in 180gr. For some reason it just shoots the lights out with that bullet. It's a very light construction bullet and I wouldn't use it on anything but a whitetail. Although I did shoot one elk with it and it did perform. Won't do that again though.

Tom
thanks for all the info fellas! def gonna write down some of the #s and bullets used to try out and see what my gun likes
Posted By: dawaba Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/06/11
All the responders here are just shooting around the edges. The OP asked about experience with the 165 gr AB from the .300 WM on deer and elk. All you guys are trying to steer him somewhere he don't wanna go. I see no problem with BT practice and AB hunting, myself.

Here are pics of a mule deer and an elk taken with the 165 Nosler AB from a .300 Winny. The deer took one shot and the elk two, a redundancy cuz the elk didn't fall as fast as I could work the bolt. All three bullets were double-lung pass-thrus, and the chest cavities of both animals were mush.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: navyman20 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/07/11
nice animals for sure bud!..and right when i thought i had my mind set you threw me off again lol..but ya cant argue pictures like that on the bullets effectiveness
Posted By: 1Nut Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/07/11
I've had great results with 165 Hornady Interbonds. Both of my 300 Win Mags shoot them very well-- better than accubonds so far in my load development. As a matter of fact, I've shot everything from axis deer to bears with Interbonds with great results out of the 300 Win Mag.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/07/11
Nice.

I'm sure those 165's killed them almost as dead as 180's...

DF
Posted By: 1Nut Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/07/11
Better to hit them where they need to be hit with most any bullet... even a core-lokt.
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Better to hit them where they need to be hit with most any bullet... even a core-lokt.

u cant be agreeing w/ "him" in my threads lol :p...but i agree..if u put the bullet where it needs to be it doesnt really matter much what hit it
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/07/11
For years, I had nothing against Core Lokts...
i dont either, but i want to venture out into the reloading world to get the most potential out of my guns
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/08/11
It's a great feeling, finding the load that your rifle really likes. Sometimes it takes time and work. But, it's worth the effort. Factory loads are by necessity, one size fits all. They try for the best performance, but when it gets down to the last detail, they have to take a middle of the road approach. The handloader is free to search out the perfect load, not a good load, but the ultimate load for his rifle.

DF
Posted By: navyman20 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/08/11
thats what im thinkin to man...sure i oculd have a "good" shootin rifle, but id like to make my rifle "great", and be able to tweek it to my view of perfection, and see how small i can get groups..and then start working on extending my effective range when my own shooting confidence boosts
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/08/11
Dirtfarmer and navyman, you guys are making excellent points as far as relaoding. Another thing that comes into play is if you load for more than one rifle (say 3 in my case) in the same chambering. When I reach for 30-06 I want to know it is going to work flawlessly and accurately in every 30-06 I own. I've got 3 308's I've also worked up loads for and they shoot great in all 3 rifles (sub moa). Once you find that "perfect" load that works in 3 rifles then you'll know what work is grin. There are so many variables that I've had to play with to do this, but it is well worth it in the end: Some of the variables to consider: chamber dimensions, freebore, bedding (even changing how far under the chamber area you bed can effect accuracy), freefloating, forend tip pressure, twist rates, and many many more to consider. Thankfully I've only got one 300 win mag and it seems to be fairly easy to load for (accuracy wise) if you keep velocities up near max grin.
i dont wanna think how big of a pain that would get having to tweek a load to work great in several diff rifles..i only have 1 rifle in this chambering, for now..and w/ me just getting into to the reloading world, i dont wnana frustrate myself too much lol
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/08/11
i dont wanna think how big of a pain that would get having to tweek a load to work great in several diff rifles..i only have 1 rifle in this chambering, for now..and w/ me just getting into to the reloading world, i dont wnana frustrate myself too much lol

That's funny and smart. Just take it one step at a time and read through some good manuals. Speer, hornady, nosler, sierra etc.. The key to reloading is being safe and aware. A lot of guys here are very knowledgeable in reloading. I do have one question though. I had a friend that was stationed in your area for some time, his name is Mark Hurley. PM me if you know him from the base. Take care.
i just got to this area, so at least for right now i dont knwo too may people that are stationed here..but in the next few months i plan on diggin deep into reloading manuals for my 300 wm and my 243 win...lookin heavily at hornady interlocks right now from good reviews and affordable pricetag
Posted By: 1Nut Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/08/11
My 300 win mags and my 06 shoot the 165 Hornady Interlocks very well. Great bullet for most any game animal and definitely one of the better values in bullets.

As far as my .243, It likes the 85 grain barnes bullets over 38 grains of Varget and shoots the 58 grain Hornady v-max over 44 grains of varget into little dime-sized groups all day long.
im thinkin the 165 interlocks like your set up..wrote down the load data you posted on here as a baseline to try out...but im lookin at tryin either the 100 grain interlocks or the hornady sst's in it too..not positive what bullet i want for the 243 just yet
I can send you some of my data on the 300 win mag if you like. I have spent years developing loads for this round. I have some very close friends, one of which built one of the 300s that I shoot with each weekend. We normally spend all day Saturday shooting, mostly with handguns, 308 rifles and 300WM rifles along with some machine guns on occasion (guy who built the rifle for me is a WWII collector). I can send you a PM if you wish with some below maximum loads from which to start with the 165 gr IL.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/08/11
i just got to this area, so at least for right now i dont knwo too may people that are stationed here..but in the next few months i plan on diggin deep into reloading manuals for my 300 wm and my 243 win...lookin heavily at hornady interlocks right now from good reviews and affordable pricetag

You likely won't have to dig much deeper than RL22- at least for 180's or 200's. H1000 is another good one with 180's. But RL22 is the shizzle.

You likely won't have to dig much deeper than RL22- at least for 180's or 200's. H1000 is another good one with 180's. But RL22 is the shizzle.

I agree, but I've had good results with H4895 and great results with IMR4831.
you guys are awesome!.if you dont mind sending me some load ideas for my 300 that would be awesome! do you by chance have any good 308 loads w/ 150 or 165s?lookin to start a build on a LW mountain rifle in 308 sometime after my wedding.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/09/11

Looking back over my load data shows that RL22 is in fact the shizzle. I have more good loads listed for it than all others combined! In fact, 75.4 grains and a 165 IL or IB give me the best accuracy, and velocity over 3000 fps.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/09/11
RL22 has long been a very good powder for the 300 Win Mag....have used it in that cartridge since it came out...and about 76 gr with the 180 has always given about 3100 fps,depending on which bullet and barrel.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/09/11
+1, RL-22 for the .300 Win Mag. It would have to be on the short list of best powders for that caliber.

Both the .300 Win Mag and the .308 Win was very forgiving and easy calibers for which to develop good loads. I try to not have multiples of one caliber for the reason mentioned. With loads and brass specific for each gun, having several in a caliber is just like having different calibers.

BTW, H4895 with 150 gr. bullets was the tack driving load for my .308.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/09/11
165, 180, 200 grain acubonds, BT's or whatever.

R-22, H4831sc or H1000.

You will never need or want anything else for your .300 WM if you pick from this list.

H4831sc (one of Hogdon's extreme line of powders) and Acubond 180's (great BC) covers all bases.
Posted By: navyman20 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/09/11
Good info guys!...i really dont know much about powders besides what ive read online and looking at load charts
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/09/11
R22 or H4831SC for 180's in th 300 WM
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/10/11
you guys are awesome!.if you dont mind sending me some load ideas for my 300 that would be awesome! do you by chance have any good 308 loads w/ 150 or 165s?lookin to start a build on a LW mountain rifle in 308 sometime after my wedding.

Oh don't get us started grin. My favorite load for the 308 and 150 hornady interlocks (spire point flat base) is 47 gr. RE-15 usually seated about .015-.020" off the lands. CCI 200 primers and winchester or remington brass usually produces less than 1 moa in 3 of my 308's. Remember to work up to that load (although it isn't quite book max).
Posted By: navyman20 Re: 300 win mag bullets - 05/11/11
You guys are like my saving graces! Lol..there isnt much u guys dont have 3 diff stellar loads for
© 24hourcampfire