Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by navyman20
looks like you found a winner w/ both bullets ackley!

300 win mags just seem to want to shoot, you won't have any trouble finding a good load with these bullets.. Have fun!

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by navyman20
looks like you found a winner w/ both bullets ackley!

300 win mags just seem to want to shoot, you won't have any trouble finding a good load with these bullets.. Have fun!

Isn't this the truth.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's the short neck...........

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And the belt............

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don't know what the reason, but they tend to be shooters with very little work. Just don't tell my 300 wsm grin.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Lets hope my 300 wm will want to shoot good, so far its impressed me..now i just gotta make up some loads and see what shes really capable of

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Keep us updated and if you need more info, feel free to ask!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
BTW, Tom. Which Accubond bullet and how fast were you pushing it?

I own a chrony but I never use it. So can't comment on speed. With that said it's a relatively hot round but not the hottest it can be. The 180gr Accubond.

My 300WM really Sierra SP BT in 180gr. For some reason it just shoots the lights out with that bullet. It's a very light construction bullet and I wouldn't use it on anything but a whitetail. Although I did shoot one elk with it and it did perform. Won't do that again though.

Tom

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks for all the info fellas! def gonna write down some of the #s and bullets used to try out and see what my gun likes

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All the responders here are just shooting around the edges. The OP asked about experience with the 165 gr AB from the .300 WM on deer and elk. All you guys are trying to steer him somewhere he don't wanna go. I see no problem with BT practice and AB hunting, myself.

Here are pics of a mule deer and an elk taken with the 165 Nosler AB from a .300 Winny. The deer took one shot and the elk two, a redundancy cuz the elk didn't fall as fast as I could work the bolt. All three bullets were double-lung pass-thrus, and the chest cavities of both animals were mush.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
nice animals for sure bud!..and right when i thought i had my mind set you threw me off again lol..but ya cant argue pictures like that on the bullets effectiveness

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had great results with 165 Hornady Interbonds. Both of my 300 Win Mags shoot them very well-- better than accubonds so far in my load development. As a matter of fact, I've shot everything from axis deer to bears with Interbonds with great results out of the 300 Win Mag.

Last edited by 1Deernut; 05/06/11.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

I'm sure those 165's killed them almost as dead as 180's...

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Better to hit them where they need to be hit with most any bullet... even a core-lokt.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Better to hit them where they need to be hit with most any bullet... even a core-lokt.

u cant be agreeing w/ "him" in my threads lol :p...but i agree..if u put the bullet where it needs to be it doesnt really matter much what hit it

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For years, I had nothing against Core Lokts...

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
i dont either, but i want to venture out into the reloading world to get the most potential out of my guns

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's a great feeling, finding the load that your rifle really likes. Sometimes it takes time and work. But, it's worth the effort. Factory loads are by necessity, one size fits all. They try for the best performance, but when it gets down to the last detail, they have to take a middle of the road approach. The handloader is free to search out the perfect load, not a good load, but the ultimate load for his rifle.

DF

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thats what im thinkin to man...sure i oculd have a "good" shootin rifle, but id like to make my rifle "great", and be able to tweek it to my view of perfection, and see how small i can get groups..and then start working on extending my effective range when my own shooting confidence boosts

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dirtfarmer and navyman, you guys are making excellent points as far as relaoding. Another thing that comes into play is if you load for more than one rifle (say 3 in my case) in the same chambering. When I reach for 30-06 I want to know it is going to work flawlessly and accurately in every 30-06 I own. I've got 3 308's I've also worked up loads for and they shoot great in all 3 rifles (sub moa). Once you find that "perfect" load that works in 3 rifles then you'll know what work is grin. There are so many variables that I've had to play with to do this, but it is well worth it in the end: Some of the variables to consider: chamber dimensions, freebore, bedding (even changing how far under the chamber area you bed can effect accuracy), freefloating, forend tip pressure, twist rates, and many many more to consider. Thankfully I've only got one 300 win mag and it seems to be fairly easy to load for (accuracy wise) if you keep velocities up near max grin.

BSA MAGA
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,332
Posts18,526,707
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.