Home
Posted By: Dogger Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
I am 55. All my life I have resisted the urge to buy a 270 Winchester. To heck with it. I am throwing in the towel. I figure a 270 is the one rifle I can continue to shoot into my 80s if I am fortunate to live that long (that or a 25-06). New production M70 Winchester will get the nod... still pondering whether to go walnut Featherweight, walnut Sporter or Bell & Carlson Extreme Weather. Any favorite setups out there for a .270?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
If you're going over to the dark side just buy one of each.
Alot of guys here getting damn good results with their Extreme Weather 270's. If you are going to throw in the towell and get a good one that would be a good place to start. Stick with the lighter variation of the wood blued if you go that route (fwt). They shoot just as good as the sporters and weigh much less and handle better.
Posted By: aheider Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
I have a new production featherweight in .270 and love it. I want to like the the extreme weather version but the stock seems so blocky to me. It's probably just my issue though.
Originally Posted by aheider
I have a new production featherweight in .270 and love it. I want to like the the extreme weather version but the stock seems so blocky to me. It's probably just my issue though.

Definitely not just an issue you have with it. I always wanted an Extreme Weather but didn't care for the slick B&C on it so the first thing I did was put it in a micky compact edge:

[Linked Image]

Huge difference all the way around. Better handling, lighter, better grip, and more aesthetically pleasing too. Well worth the upgrade.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Hope I never throw in the towel. grin

Hope to die without owning one. smile
Posted By: ingwe Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Hate to agree with JM...but there it is.... grin
You guys are fn hilarious.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
I won one in a raffle once, gave it to a kid that needed it.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
I agree with JM.

But for you a Ruger in 270 would be a good choice.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Poor kid probably had to go and see a therapist. grin
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
a few months back i purchased an fn super grade in 270 win. shoots several factory loads quite well. i've no complaints.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Yeah, me 3.

Pete
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I would accept a free 270. I could sell it and buy a new scope for my 30-06. grin
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

I would accept a free 270. I could sell it and buy a new scope for my 30-06. grin

Winnie, I've always liked your style. Keep up the good work. grin
Posted By: pal Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Don't you feel that you finally deserve a pre-'64 featherweight? grin
Wow...I can really feel the love in this thread! grin
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11

He and his brother played ball for me and lost all their guns in a house fire. They are big .270 fans and I am not. I figured it was a win/win situation. I give them a gun and they can hunt again and I don't have to tell people I own a .270. smile
Or maybe sell the 270 and buy a 223 AI action and work around that. grin

With age comes widsom for most (Ingwe is one of the exceptions). Welcome to the better side of the fence Dogger.
Oh shure...YOU would have to chime in....... wink
Since I own 4 270's at the moment, I applaud your decision. 3 of the 4 are M70's, but if I was looking for another, I'd look hard at the faux Ti remmy listed in the classifieds right now....

just sayin....

Tom
Posted By: PeaEye Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
You would be happy with either the extreme weather or a featherweight. I ended up getting a featherweight because I did find the EW stock a little clunky, especially the thick wrist. Were it not for that, I would have bought one. If I had to have just one rifle, it would be a stainless featherweight, or that rifle in BSA's picture with the Edge on it.

The barrel channel on my FW was a little off and needed to be sanded out a bit on one side and resealed. Once I did that, it proved to be a great shooter, and seems to tolerate a little heat without drifting or throwing fliers.

I had a Connecticut-made Sporter LT, which was pretty similar to the new ones except it had a 26" barrel. It was a beautiful rifle and shot well, but tipped the scales at over 10 lbs with a scope and steel bases/rings. I found it heavy after about 6 miles of climbing...

See Ernie the Gunsmith for a lighter trigger spring. It's an easy change and will get you to a 3 lb pull or close. http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i170.html
I have a 270. Hawkeye. Bought it..shot tubbs lapping bullets..bore coat came next..then new trigger..glass bed....now shoots slightly less than an inch..but cost more of cours
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Originally Posted by Dogger
I am 55. All my life I have resisted the urge to buy a 270 Winchester. To heck with it. I am throwing in the towel. I figure a 270 is the one rifle I can continue to shoot into my 80s if I am fortunate to live that long (that or a 25-06). New production M70 Winchester will get the nod... still pondering whether to go walnut Featherweight, walnut Sporter or Bell & Carlson Extreme Weather. Any favorite setups out there for a .270?

I'd look around for a dealer in your area that might have all 3 variations and go on in, lay them all side by side, roll'em around and compare, pick'em up, handle (fondle) them a while and decide which one feels, balances and looks the best to you. I'm a 12 year old kid trapped in an old mans body so, IMHO, I don't think your throwing in the towel at all, at our age I think my kids call it living large grin
Posted By: orion03 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Geez, I kinda like my 270's, where's all the hate come from?
Posted By: Rman Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Originally Posted by Savuti

Yeah, me 3.

Pete

Gotta go with this as well. I'll even throw in that I have absolutely no love for the parent case, either!

R.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
i'll bite ... go with the circa mid 90's remington sendero in .270. it's awful to get it out to the stand, but when you get there, nothing but laser-like accuracy. and 3100 fps+ from the 26" tube. i love it and hate it at the same time.

much as i dislike admitting it, the cartridge is near about ideal for whitetail hunting. in my opinion is kicks a little harder and has a little more muzzle blast than it needs to, but the ballistics are just about right w/ a 130 g bullet.

despite the sendero abomination, i'd love to have one in a winchester featherweight .........
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
I kind of got "trapped" into owning a .270. It's not that I don't respect it and know it's capabilities, but the first rifle I built/bought was a .30-06 that will shoot 5 rounds into 1/2". I could just never see there was enough difference between it and the .270....and besides, everyone and their brother owned a .270.

In the 1970's my father and I owned and operated a gun shop and did quite well building rifles from various actions and walnut blanks. The market for these rifles seemed to sort of dry up, or at least it dried up at the price we had to charge for such work. We sold all the stock we had ecept a barreled action S&W 1500 (the same action as today's Howa/Vangaurd)in .270 chambering.

In 1984 we decided to complete and sell that last rifle. As was our custom, I did the stock work and he did all the metal work (trigger, polish, blueing). The stock blank I used was a really nice piece of walnut that I styled in the way "I" liked, rather than as I would for a normal rifle to be sold. Once complete, it fit me perfectly....and as things worked out also fit my father to a tee. He decided to keep that rifle for his own use rather than sell it.

Then it happened. Less than 2 years later (at the age of 52) my father died from a sudden heart attack. I sort of lost heart and sold off most of the stock and closed the gunshop. When it came time to sell that .270 rifle, I just couldn't bring myself to let it go. It was, after all, the last rifle my father and I ever built together.

As it turned out it was a "keeper" even if it didn't have any special meaning for me. It will keep 5 shots under an inch with almost any load I feed it and has taken several deer over the years.....not because I think it is "better" than other rifles, but more for sentamental reasons.

So, you see, I didn't really "want" a .270.....but ended up with one anyway.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Originally Posted by orion03

This is how I see it......Not new enough for a lot of guys...if not hot off some designer's drawing board,it isn't suitable for modern hunting and shooting;sort of a "not invented by my generation" attitude.That most things properly hit with a 270 wind up just as dead as those things hit with the new toys, drives the guys nutz,so they make up stories, disparaging it. smirk

Since scope technology has advanced,guys want to bang gongs,shoot targets and animals out to 1000 yards.In a day and age when bullets with BC's in the 400's are regarded as aspirin tablets,the poor old 270 is found lacking among the real rifle nuts,due to lower BC bullets and slow twists in factory rifles.I can understand their dire plight and hands-off attitude.

Then there are the reports of inadequate killing capability;this usually and more often than not due to careless,sloppy marksmanship,and indifferent bullet placement.

If I did not count among many friends those who have taken moose by the score, along with elk, sheep, grizzly(in one case Alaskan BB),the Grand Slam of sheep,(one pal, met on here, has run the entire list of NA game except the big bears 3 times, one round complete with the 270 Win and 130 gr Bitterroots)along with African plains game from eland on down, I might buy into the "inadequate" arguments proffered by those of less experience than these guys.But mixing these experiences with my own observations(not as extensive by any means,wish it were grin , I tend to LMAO at those who moan and wail that the cartridge lacks killing power;laugh even harder at young guys having no experience with anything,and who listen to nonsense about the cartridge.... cool

What they miss is that if you shoot it well with good bullets,point it straight,it kills about as well on most game as its' competition;and likely its' LR capabilities exceed that of most users of other stuff, under field conditions involving live animals.With a 270, you can just go hunting and pretty much ignore the bullistic tables.

Stuck squarely between the 7mm's and 6.5's,there is not much reason for the low BC thing and maybe these new Matrix bullets,and faster twist barrels, will flush out some new facts about the cartridge.

I have not been without one since I got my first in 1968 or 69...despite dances with lots of other stuff(still going on today)I would not be without one,and presently have three.

To the OP, enjoy your new 270!What took you so long? smile

Posted By: j2dogs Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
When I sit and ponder ballisic tables at night "I have no life".
I find there is not a spits worth a difference in any of the modern cartridges. Sure one may exceed the other by 200 fps. In the real world what does that get you $5 and a cup of coffee, inflation you see.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
you also mentioned the 25-06 if looking for a rifle to shoot later in life i would go with it instead of the 270 as to me there is a noticeable difference and the 25-06 will kill anything in virginia.

gene
Posted By: sactoller Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Originally Posted by ingwe

I always thought that .270's were to only be used as donors? whistle
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Alot of guys here getting damn good results with their Extreme Weather 270's. If you are going to throw in the towell and get a good one that would be a good place to start. Stick with the lighter variation of the wood blued if you go that route (fwt). They shoot just as good as the sporters and weigh much less and handle better.

Actually "bsa" is technically wrong. Winchester lists the Fwt. as 7# 2 oz. and the EW as 7# even for the .270Win.. Goes to show the marketing power of a name. There is no reason for the Fwt. to weigh this much. As said before, they should have redesigned this model when they made the move to S.C. and really have a true "featherweight"!

In either case, why the reluctance and trepidation for a .270Win?! The cartridge is fantastic! Easy recoil, wide enough variety of factory ammo and handloading options. What's not to like?
Posted By: podunk Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Don't listen to the naysayers.... once you go. 270 you wont turn back... most of the. 270 poor mouthers are senile anyhow... grin BTW +1 on the faux Ti in the classifieds.
Posted By: rob p Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
I bought a custom kevlar mountain rifle from Remington years ago. I ordered it in 270 win. I waited 6 months for it and called them. They didn't have a .270 barrel and had to order one from Shilen. They then told me they don't get a lot of requests for them. The majority of their custom guns were the big .300's. Banser rifles and Ed Brown were interviewed for a F&S article and said their top seller is .300 WBY. Now, that's interesting, but back to the .270. It was the least accurate rifle I ever owned. I sent it back to Remington and told them even handloads couldn't get a group smaller than 1 1/2" and I still got fliers. They told me that .270 bullets stink and that was the best I was going to see. Nobody made quality ammo or bullets because it just wasn't any use to target/military shooters. That was 20 years and I dumped that rifle and never bought another. I would honestly never buy another .270. Sorry Jim Carmichal. I can get match grade bullets/ammo in .22, 6mm, 6.5mm and .30 cal. I'd start with that and build a rifle around an accurate round I know I can get. Now a .260 Rem! That's another story.

I like shooting rifles down the range and have a few. I started benchrest shooting a few years ago and have been chasing the one hole group a while. When you're examining your loads and equipment down to the molecule, you see a lot of things you don't like and probably can't change.

Knowing what I know now, I would never buy another factory rifle. I haven't for 20+ years and have been worlds better off for it. If you have a problem, they are going to pass you off and you'll have to find a gunsmith. Might as well start with one. Buy the stock you like, the action you like, the trigger you like, and then buy a good barrel. Let a gunsmith who knows what he's doing put it together and go down the range and shoot groups that will make you run in circles making little squeaky noises.

PM M.Coleman and see what he thinks.
I'd get the walnut FW. You can't go wrong with a .270.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread.../1/SS_New_Haven_Win_Classic_Mod_7#UNREAD

IMO---this would be one heck of a rig to toss the towel in on. Would show a high level of IQ on your part as well. wink

Dober
Originally Posted by sactoller

true dat...they make a good platform for building a 7x57..... grin
My 60 year old wife would not allow a 270 in the house for herself, much less the man in her life. She wouldn't settle for anything less than a 30-06 for her. Even my (then) 20 year old daughter demanded a 30-06.

What's all this 270 nonsense about anyway? Grow a pair! wink
Heckola, I'd say tell those ladies to submit and go .270 even if you have to grow a pair prior to telling them so... cry

Dober
Posted By: sactoller Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11

Yes they do and 6.5-06AI, 9.3x62....hmmm, got a couple of .270's in my shop...wonder what they will become! grin
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Heckola, I'd say tell those ladies to submit and go .270 even if you have to grow a pair prior to telling them so... cry

Dober

Dang Dober, go easy on the coffee this morning. Better switch to de-caff. grin. And watch your language for cripes sake! Steve
Yeah, just had my Red Bull and a short stack, wait till I have my diet dew and OJ then I'll get a rolling...grin

Hope alls well your way, thx for the talk the other day, I needed it.

Dober
Man, some of you guys are just brutal here.............

Since I've managed to kill everything up to & including moose with a 270, guess I'd just say to the naysayers, if you can't get it done with a 270, likely you just can't get it done at all.

MM
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
The .270 sucks big time. My first one was a Rem. 700 ADL purchased new from a hardware store in Wolf Point, Montana in 1974. It would only group three 150-grain Hornady Spire points into an inch--at 300 yards. My wife and I have owned a few other .270's since and several shot the same schitty way.

We've taken over 100 animals with the .270, including elk and moose, and it doesn't kil worth a darn either. The moose Eileen shot (with a lousy 150-grain Nosler Partition and that antiquated H4831 powder) took an entire step and a half before collapsing. Have seen elk go as far as 30 yards before keeling over. Just a POS of a round if you ask me.
I would only buy a .270 in a pawn shop.

Somehow, it's just fitting.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Originally Posted by BobinNH

This is how I see it......Not new enough for a lot of guys...if not hot off some designer's drawing board,it isn't suitable for modern hunting and shooting;sort of a "not invented by my generation" attitude.That most things properly hit with a 270 wind up just as dead as those things hit with the new toys, drives the guys nutz,so they make up stories, disparaging it. smirk

Yep. smile

In my case, 3 deer taken with .270's equaled 3 deer DRT.

I think the OP should look for a Super Grade, myself. grin
Posted By: drover Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Not a lot of experience with the 270 here, I have owned a few over the years, a couple were in 700 and a couple were in M70's, I always found them to shoot well. I like the cartridge but for some reason have never had a rifle chambered for it live with me for very long.

I have some friends in the Yukon, and have spent a fair amount of time there myself, quite a bit of it among the locals and native folk who actually subsistence hunt rather than talk about hunting on the internet, I do not recall any of them owning more than one rifle. The thing that stood out to me was the rifles and calibers they used mostly Lee-Enfield's (military surplus, sort of sporterized (well! lightened up anyway), and Savage 110's. The choice of calibers were pretty much 303 British for the Enfields, of course, and 270 for the Savages.

Since their choice of animal is moose, and there are a fair number of grizzlys in the Yukon, I found that interesting. I am sure that a lot of their choices are financially driven but still Savages are available in larger calibers at the same price as one chambered in 270, so to me that says something very positive about the 270 as a hunting choice.

drover
Posted By: Rman Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
The 270 is like a school bus full of kids on the way out of town, without a teacher.

No class.

The 270 is like a fat chick and a moped.

They're both fun to ride, but you don't want to be caught on either one.

The 270 is so ugly, when it was born, momma 3006 had to feed it with a slingshot.

I have more, but you get the point. : )

R.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I would only buy a .270 in a pawn shop.

Somehow, it's just fitting.

laffin....

Ain't got nothin to do with the rounds inherent capabilities.
It's because EVERY [bleep]' retard redneck who don't know BC from D.C. has one, usually as his first "deer gun". They go with essential hunting accessories like bubba buddies and an open can of natural light.

That'll get it started.
Pete
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Actually "bsa" is technically wrong. Winchester lists the Fwt. as 7# 2 oz. and the EW as 7# even for the .270Win.. Goes to show the marketing power of a name. There is no reason for the Fwt. to weigh this much. As said before, they should have redesigned this model when they made the move to S.C. and really have a true "featherweight"!

In either case, why the reluctance and trepidation for a .270Win?! The cartridge is fantastic! Easy recoil, wide enough variety of factory ammo and handloading options. What's not to like?

Bigwhoop my friend. I think you misinterpreted what I was saying: when I mentioned the lighter weight rifle I was comparing the "blued" versions the op mentions (fwt vs sporter). In this instance the fwt is indeed lighter than the nice wood stocked blued sporter. I've got all 3 and do know the difference here. The reason I mention the Extreme Weather is because I love mine and yes it is lighter than my FN made fwt. I really like both rifles but if I had to make a choice I'd go the EW route. I too am dissapointed in winchester for not making a true "featherweight" rifle like the name implies. It sure is missleading like you say. Anyway I just wanted to clarify. All 3 are good choices but in the end it just depends on heft the op can handle and weather conditions.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The .270 sucks big time. My first one was a Rem. 700 ADL purchased new from a hardware store in Wolf Point, Montana in 1974. It would only group three 150-grain Hornady Spire points into an inch--at 300 yards. My wife and I have owned a few other .270's since and several shot the same schitty way.

We've taken over 100 animals with the .270, including elk and moose, and it doesn't kil worth a darn either. The moose Eileen shot (with a lousy 150-grain Nosler Partition and that antiquated H4831 powder) took an entire step and a half before collapsing. Have seen elk go as far as 30 yards before keeling over. Just a POS of a round if you ask me.

Stunt shooter. You couldn't a done any of that with a 7x57.

Pete

an open can of natural light.

that was low.. eek
This is for the OP and bigwhoop because we know pictures are good grin:

Winchester model 70 Extreme weather in micky compact edge weighs a little over 7.5 pounds all up as pictured:
[Linked Image]

FN SC made 308 "FWT" weighs 8.2 pounds all up as pictured with 3-9x40 elite 3200 scope:
[Linked Image]

Winchester blued walnut sporter weighs 9 pounds 4 ounces all up (as pictured):
[Linked Image]

Now for chits and giggles lets throw in my 1956 pre 64 "FWT" 30-06 for a comparison in weight. 8 pounds all up (including 5 rounds of ammo) with leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS scope. Not bad for and old outdated rifle grin, I think I'll keep the old girl though whistle:
[Linked Image]
I really like the Pre 64.

If you ever find yourself needing to give it away I will take it off your hands. whistle

If you ever find yourself needing to give it away I will take it off your hands. whistle

grin
I grew up in a .30-06 household, but have come to appreciate the .270 over the years because:

1. It shoots almost as flat as a .300 Mag with less recoil (personally, when I hit .30-06 recoil levels, I would just as well step up to .300 Mag).

2. With new bullets, I don't think it is that much different (if any) than a .30-06 or even .300 in what it will do on game.

3. It is the perfect mule deer rifle.

A .270 and .375 is all that is needed to hunt big game. Not sure why I have all the others.
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I grew up in a .30-06 household, but have come to appreciate the .270 over the years because:

1. It shoots almost as flat as a .300 Mag with less recoil (personally, when I hit .30-06 recoil levels, I would just as well step up to .300 Mag).

2. With new bullets, I don't think it is that much different (if any) than a .30-06 or even .300 in what it will do on game.

3. It is the perfect mule deer rifle.

A .270 and .375 is all that is needed to hunt big game. Not sure why I have all the others.

Because you're a loony like the rest of us..... Hey by the way, thanks again for the rifle pictured above (EW). Still loving that thing. Been thinking about really fine tuning a load for it here after elk season. Also I was out shooting my friends 270 the other day and the recoil level of his rifle was just about identical, maybe even a little more than the EW. From what I've seen the recoil of the 2 rounds is just about equal blush
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

an open can of natural light.

that was low.. eek

Miller light?

Bud lite and an ADL .270 is about as ghetto as it gets..

grin
Posted By: Hi_Vel Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11

got a good laugh out of that one...

i bought my first .270, a remington model 700 adl with a 4x swift scope on deck--at scheels hardware in billings in 1972. numerous chucks, mule deer, whitetails, antelope, coyotes, etc., all loved that rifle, because i couldn't hit any of them with it. everytime i squeezed the trigger, it wouldn't fire--so--i had to re-educate myself to release the safety to fire it instead--even though i've never used a safety. the rifle--and the round--they were both an utter disappointment to me. i begged my hunting pals to just let me borrow their dad's old carcano, or savage 340 30-30, so i could at least reach out there and harvest just one head of big game...

i just hope when the local evening news is on tonight, that they don't report that "that there remington model seven hunnert they plan to show and tell us of all the dangers of", ain't no .270 winchesta--it'd jes be a dubble whammy fer sure, yessiree...

the rifle--and the cartridge--they were both such a huge let down, i'll never get over it...

nuf sed.
I used to not care for the .270 ( I had 3 or 4 30/06 at the time) and when I was about 40 years old I bought a Ruger M77 stainless with a boat paddle stock in .270 winchester. I'm 56 years old and it's been my go to rifle ever since. Now I own 3. A Marlin XL7 and a CZ Model 550 American with a Kevlar stock. I had a little bit of a problem with the Ruger M77 at first till we got to know each other. All 3 are very accurate and with the bullet selection now days It can do about anything in North America. My latest project is shooting the Nosler 160 gr. partition. The Ruger model 77 will shoot them in a inch all day long and they don't give anything up to the 6.5x55 with a 160gr. bullet as far as penetration.
Posted By: super T Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
The .270 is the quintessential western round. Like it or not. It so very popular because it's good. Simple as that.
Posted By: Hi_Vel Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
the .270 is a great round--for certain...

regarding so much that occurs in this "information age", i think i like to apply the old line by bruce lee;

"simplicity lies at the heart of the most complex". the best solutions are usually very simple ones...

and though this doesn't mean we throw out this valuable info--no, to the contrary--we take what is useful to us now, and we file the rest away--to muse on it another day...

my good friend scenarshooter uses some mighty fine, very modern day equipment,(and an old husky .270 win. too)--but as he once said to me, "it's all about getting that bullet into the ribcage of an animal."

an old time fav in the .270 was the 110 hornady hollow point--with spectacular results on varmints, though they're always mystified by it...

Because you're a loony like the rest of us..... Hey by the way, thanks again for the rifle pictured above (EW). Still loving that thing. Been thinking about really fine tuning a load for it here after elk season. Also I was out shooting my friends 270 the other day and the recoil level of his rifle was just about identical, maybe even a little more than the EW. From what I've seen the recoil of the 2 rounds is just about equal blush

It's always seemed that the .270 recoils less, but that is probably all in my head. I regret selling that EW everytime I see the picture in the green edge. That is exactly what I intended to do with even down to the color of stock.
Not a very good picture, but here is my perfect pair for the world: an FN Mauser in .375 in a Bansner that goes about 7.5 pounds with scope and a Winchester M70 Featherweight .270 in an
edge that also goes about 7.5 pounds with scope.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by super T
It so very popular because it's good. Simple as that.
Yep and like it or not, the same can be said for all the most popular rounds. The .243, .30-06, .270, 7mm Rem Mag., 300 Win. Mag.. All are as popular as they are because they work and work well.

Ill-mannered heathen .284" shooters, of course. Still jealous after all these years of being outshone by a smaller bore diameter.My .270s shoot well and haven't bounced a bullet off a critter yet. The deer go down swearing they were shot by an '06.....
Posted By: doubletap Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11

Makes sense to me. A 7x57 is just a .270 Short and is perfect for those who don't need the power of a full length .270 Win. whistle
Posted By: Brad Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11
Not a very good picture, but here is my perfect pair for the world: an FN Mauser in .375 in a Bansner that goes about 7.5 pounds with scope and a Winchester M70 Featherweight .270 in an

[Linked Image]

I agree... nice!

It's always seemed that the .270 recoils less, but that is probably all in my head. I regret selling that EW everytime I see the picture in the green edge. That is exactly what I intended to do with even down to the color of stock.

grin Atleast you know it went to a good loving home grin
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11

It's because EVERY [bleep]' retard redneck who don't know BC from D.C. has one, usually as his first "deer gun". They go with essential hunting accessories like bubba buddies and an open can of natural light.

Guilty! sick
True, BSA and I have an identical one on the way chambered in the surperior .270 WCF, so I don't feel too bad grin

[Linked Image]

Now that's about as model perfect of a 2 rifle battery (think that's what they call it...grin) as one could ask for.

Dober
Posted By: colorado Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/29/11

Welcome to the dark side! Love my 270 never failed me, my youngest son owns it now. His older brother has it's LH twin (they're both gonna have 375 H&H's too soon) ...

Here he is with the hogzilla he killed with it at 12 feet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sierra 70g HPBTs at 3500 fps for varmints, 150g Partitions at 2900 to 3000 fps for everything else. Mine has killed a slew of deer, javelina, elk, black bear and finished off one grizzly.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11

Dang I been a bachelor for a long time, but I do own towels

grin
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
Not a Model 70, but a new to me .270 came home with me today...

[Linked Image]

"Liberty" #1B

I had never heard of Leupold having a 7.5 power fixed scope, but that is what it says on the scope.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

[Linked Image]

"Liberty" #1B

I had never heard of Leupold having a 7.5 power fixed scope, but that is what it says on the scope.

Great scope!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

[Linked Image]

"Liberty" #1B

Great scope!

Chucklin'......
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11

grin

Don't blame you for laughing. I'd be down to my last pair of socks and slice of bread before I'd sell mine.
No worries on the lightweight discussion. As the OP mentioned all 3 models, I just wanted to point out that quirk of the Featherweight. More importantly imho is the missed opportunity for a true lightweight by Winchester.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11

Dogger,
Don't think of it as "throwing in the towel", rather it is opening your eyes to a truly spectacular cartridge! Its easy to overlook cause there is "new this", "new that", "looky over here", wsm's, saum's, rum's, rcm's plus the boutique stuff!! You are realizing what you were searching for has been there all along, just waiting to be discovered.
Good luck and keep us posted! laugh
Fella can avoid towel throwin' and have a lot of fun in the process. Would take a long time to list all the alternatives. Some of them don't even use brass cartridges. There's even a few that use smokeless powder.

Prayers sent. Remember, it's never too late to say no.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

grin

Don't blame you for laughing. I'd be down to my last pair of socks and slice of bread before I'd sell mine.
No worries on the lightweight discussion. As the OP mentioned all 3 models, I just wanted to point out that quirk of the Featherweight. More importantly imho is the missed opportunity for a true lightweight by Winchester.

I hear you bigwhoop on all acounts....However, since Winnie seems to be a great young man with his head screwed on straight, he should know that he's the first on the list if I ever do think about getting rid of it......
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

[Linked Image]

Now that's about as model perfect of a 2 rifle battery (think that's what they call it...grin) as one could ask for.

Dober

Mark, you wouldn't last long with just those 2. It wouldnt be long before you had a 300 wsm stuffed inbetween them grin whistle
Posted By: orion03 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
That's a beauty tex n cal. What a piece of wood!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
You guys gotta be kind to the old Pre 64 M70 FW,and remember the context of the times;and the fact that it is the precursor to what we have today....what preceeded it weighed about 9 pounds or better,and guys like Warren Page and O'Connor were pounding the manufacturers for the kind of lighter rifles they and others were having built by guys like Tom Shelhammer,Al Biesen,Len Brownell and some others....

These guys would cobble together sleek wooden stocks, and turn down M70 barrels to lighter contours, to end up with "mountain weight" rifles of 7.5-8 pounds;and 375 H&H's of 8.5 or so.

When the pre 64 FW came out ('52-'53?)it was chambered in 308, 270,and 06 among others,and was considered a landmark rifle, leading to what we have today....so it was the technology of the day....like an 84L,which really copies it on a smaller,lighter,receiver.

Even today, take the metal from these old rifles as is,flop it into a Brown Pound'r with DD's or Talley LW's and a light scope,and you will be under 7 pounds in 270 or 30/06.

Took some factories a long time to catch up.....
Posted By: badger Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
Well if he's going to throw in the towel, might as well go all the way and get a Tikka.........
Posted By: PastorDan Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
I was going to read this entire thread but I then I decided I didn't want to get frustrated reading a bunch of posts from people suggesting other calibers or denegrating his choice (was I wrong?!).

I would go with the Extreme Weather. I prefer walnut except for rifles I will hunt with. Put a couple of marks on my Ruger No. 1 hunting this year and I hate doing that! I have handled (fondled?) an Extreme quite a bit lately and I really like it.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
I Bought one for my son some years back, first one I ever bought. Never shot it, but he kills deer with it every year and they all just drop in their tracks. I ran into a stainless 700 in .270 a couple years ago that whispered in my ear that it would carry around that Schmidt and Bender 1.5-6x42 that was sitting in the safe waiting for the right gun to come by. So, I married the two up and used them to kill a couple of deer last year. Seemed to work pretty good even though it was a .270. Going to use it again this year. With a nasty storm being predicted for next Saturday when deer season opens I think I may even be happy to have it out there.
Posted By: tzone Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
I had on in a M70 classic Fwt. It made the fastest kill I've ever seen on a deer. At the shot all I saw was 4 legs in the air. The deer simply flipped over dead.
You guys gotta be kind to the old Pre 64 M70 FW,and remember the context of the times;and the fact that it is the precursor to what we have today....what preceeded it weighed about 9 pounds or better,and guys like Warren Page and O'Connor were pounding the manufacturers for the kind of lighter rifles they and others were having built by guys like Tom Shelhammer,Al Biesen,Len Brownell and some others....

These guys would cobble together sleek wooden stocks, and turn down M70 barrels to lighter contours, to end up with "mountain weight" rifles of 7.5-8 pounds;and 375 H&H's of 8.5 or so.

When the pre 64 FW came out ('52-'53?)it was chambered in 308, 270,and 06 among others,and was considered a landmark rifle, leading to what we have today....so it was the technology of the day....like an 84L,which really copies it on a smaller,lighter,receiver.

Even today, take the metal from these old rifles as is,flop it into a Brown Pound'r with DD's or Talley LW's and a light scope,and you will be under 7 pounds in 270 or 30/06.

Took some factories a long time to catch up.....

I agree Bob, but I don't want to take my pre 64 fwt out of its original stock. I actually love the way it fits and points. It is just about as perfect for me as it gets......As for 8 pounds all up, It sure does beat my std weight pre 64 too. I'm skeeeered to weigh that heavy bastid. blush eek
Originally Posted by badger
Well if he's going to throw in the towel, might as well go all the way and get a Tikka.........

Thats not throwing in the towel, more like stepping out of the closet... whistle
Posted By: badger Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
Originally Posted by badger

Thats not throwing in the towel, more like stepping out of the closet... whistle

I came out of the closet years ago smile . I have a M595 in 270 Win.
As you can see, it absolutely hates TSX's.
[Linked Image]
Do I see powder burns on that target?

laugh
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/30/11
bsa:I went to the the range today and shot a FW 270 still in the orginal stock...I don't know what it weighs,and won't weigh it cause I can tell just picking it up,that it won't kill me carrying it around.It just isn't that heavy..... smile
Posted By: Hawken Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
out of all my rifles I have the most kills with a .270 Boat Paddle.
Posted By: colorado Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
Sighted in my older son's left handed 80s vintage (handed down from his grandfather) 700 BDL in 270 today. The 100 yard range was busy so we went to the 200 - 300 yard range. Once I quit diddlin with the scope, it put 3 shots inside of an inch at 200 yards (150g Partitions, neck sized only at 3000 fps). Like 30-06s, a good 270 is so accurate, easy to shoot and deadly that folks think they're boring ...
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11

JB, I bought my first and only 270(to date...) at the Highline Sports in Woof Point. Used ADL, shoots beyond great, kills great, this is the first year I haven't packed it around on a horse since I bought it about 15 years ago.

I would love to get 270WCF 84L to go along with the ADL. I will carry the Kimber, the horse can carry the heavy Remington....grin
Now why would you do that to a poor horse?
I mean, I don't like the critters, but still..
Posted By: ingwe Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
Some guys just get off on humiliating beasts of burden....
should be a law..
The Heavy ADL or the 270???!

Or both....grin

You would have loved the horse I rode today. Little mare but that sucker could cover the hills and I mean it had stamina. Association ranch horse(in shape...), wish it was mine.

Dude, are you talking about a horse?? blush
Ingwe might take a run at 'er....grin!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
Just think of all the support the 270 would be getting on this thread if trailer parks had free internet... whistle

"Thar aint nuthin' Bubber kan't keel wit his too-semdee!"

Enjoy freaks!

LOL

At the pawnshop today, there was a small space in the rack labeled "Not .270's"
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
I used to think they rusted prematurely until I figured out it was just the owners.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
I heard a story yesterday in the gunshop that may force me to pick up a .270.

A fellow hunter was out packing his H&R Handi Rifle in .270 Winchester when a nice buck broke out of some cover. He swung and got on the buck with his 3-9x40 Simmons sitting in see-thru mounts. The buck was on a full run right to left. He put the crosshairs right on his front shoulder and let one fly. The 150gr Remington RN hit it's mark and the buck fell straight down. No tumble or slide not another step, simply collapsed. All this was done at a simple 477yds.
Posted By: badger Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Do I see powder burns on that target?

laugh

For shame!! You can't tell the difference between powder & moly? smile

[Linked Image]
I heard a story yesterday in the gunshop that may force me to pick up a .270.

A fellow hunter was out packing his H&R Handi Rifle in .270 Winchester when a nice buck broke out of some cover. He swung and got on the buck with his 3-9x40 Simmons sitting in see-thru mounts. The buck was on a full run right to left. He put the crosshairs right on his front shoulder and let one fly. The 150gr Remington RN hit it's mark and the buck fell straight down. No tumble or slide not another step, simply collapsed. All this was done at a simple 477yds.

Oh hell, you must have been talking to my buddy. He says his 270 kills them faster than my 30-06 does. He also shoots 8" groups with his at targets off the bench but swears he's a dead eye in field positions. He can "hit and kill any moving buck or elk at any range" with his 270, he just doesn't like shooting at targets, so he says. wink
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
The op hasn't gone to the dark side, he has seen the light, Amen!!!

Love my .270, it's the caliber that made the 7x57 obsolete. smirk
bsa:I went to the the range today and shot a FW 270 still in the orginal stock...I don't know what it weighs,and won't weigh it cause I can tell just picking it up,that it won't kill me carrying it around.It just isn't that heavy..... smile

I love my fwt 30-06 as it weighs a [bleep] hair over 8 pounds all up but my std wt. feels like it is approaching 10 blush. I keep my std weight because it shoots great and is so smooth. I can always count on that rifle to do its job though....
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
Nope, must be a different guy. This feller says he has never shot a group that is over .5" with any of his guns and he has.................... over 300 rifles!

I had to leave as I was afraid I was going drown in the schitt before I could get to the door.

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
.270 factory ammo sucks, too:

[Linked Image]

1st load tried in the Ruger. No trouble keeping 3 in 1-1.5", even though the scope has issues. Not quite as good as the handloads in the #1 .30-06, but I expect some good loads in the .270 will shrink those groups.

I have an extra VX3, and I'm thinking the .270 might kill a deer this year... grin
Nope, must be a different guy. This feller says he has never shot a group that is over .5" with any of his guns and he has.................... over 300 rifles!

I had to leave as I was afraid I was going drown in the schitt before I could get to the door.

Laffin my azz off grin whistle cry
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Ooooohhhhh...you will SOOOO smoke a turd in hell for that.... grin
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Ingwe might take a run at 'er....grin!

[Linked Image]

She IS kinda fetching...all lathered up.... whistle

Ooooohhhhh...you will SOOOO smoke a turd in hell for that.... grin

Some day you will come to realize that the .270 moves faster, shoots flatter and hits harder...all at a recoil level that is pleasant to shoot all day. whistle
HERESY!!!!

grin
Posted By: podunk Re: Throwing in the towel... - 10/31/11
Jeez.... heard a gunshop azzclown ( not ingwe grin) tell a dude today that the. 270 he was looking at was ' too much' for Florida deer, but his 30-06 was just about perfect.... whistle
Deer musta got bigger down there since I was there... grin
Deer haven't changed but id bet the azz clowns have multiplied.....
I remember being in Atlanta years ago with a Previous Ingwewife and the dude behind the counter was all puff-chested about a baby deer mounted on the wall....bragging he shot it last year on his 141 acre lease with his four buddies...ex-significant other, without thinking, just spouts out " we shoot at them further away than 141 acres...." grin
Damn..... grin I was down at Dicks Sporting goods eyeing new squirrel shooters.. much to Ms Podunks dismay they approved me for quite a line of credit.... grin
Squirrel shootin' is one of my all time faves....don't tease me with it...
Its gonna be a good year for em down here.....
HERESY!!!!

grin

It's would only be heresy if it were untrue.....but I guess some people like those slow, primitive cartridges. Now the 8x57...that's big medicine. The 7x57 is what it is, too slow to compete with the .270, too small to compete with the 8x57(which is truly probably the most under rated cartridge in the world).
I like the 8x57...killed my first Kudu with one...but its the bastard child of the 7x57...... grin
cool
I'll still save you a seat next to the Humidor..... grin
Sure, I'll bring the bourbon.....it really is the only civilized way to discuss this. wink
My man!!! laugh
Sure, I'll bring the bourbon.....it really is the only civilized way to discuss this. wink

I heard they don't allow bourbon...only Thunderbird, MD 20/20 & Swishers...

It got its name for a reason...
cry
Posted By: Gramps2 Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11
BSA1917hunter,

That is one fine looking rifle. I have an EW in 300WSM and hate the B&C stock that is on it. Is the McMillan stock you have on your rifle the regular Edge Ultra Lite in gray? The word "compact" kind of throws me off. I went to McMillan's web site and could not find a Win Edge stock that said "compact".

I would like to order an Edge just like yours for my EW. Could you please clarify.

Thank you,
G2
Posted By: Dogger Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11
What are the negatives of the B&C stock that Winchester uses on the EW?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11
Fat wrist....
Posted By: Dogger Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11
OP here... OK... I have narrowed it down to either a stainless Featherweight in 270, the EW in 270, or a Featherweight (even a pushfeed variant) in 7x57 Mauser. I hope that by adding the 7x57 I am not fanning any flames of heated passion...

Personally, I like the 7x57 a lot, but there seem to be so few admirers of it here on the CampFire...

What twist rate does Winchester use on their 7x57s?

;->
Posted By: ingwe Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11

Personally, I like the 7x57 a lot, but there seem to be so few admirers of it here on the CampFire...

;->

Au Contraire mon frer'..............

Been shooting a push feed Fwt 7x57 for some time now...I don't know for shure what its twisted ( 1 in 9...?) but it is for shure twisted and chambered for heavy bullets.....so may dissappoint if you are trying to get high speed with lighter bullets... God invented .270s for that... grin

The higher speed makes them bounce off deer faster..... wink
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11
When the 7x57 goes to bed at night it dreams of being an 8x57...

and yeah, Podunk, hanging around where guns are sold and listening to the azzclowns is always hilarious!

and Ingwe, sounds like the ex-Mrs. Ingwe was a trip!!

Bro, it doesn't need many admirers when it has Ingwe singin' it's praises!! He is An Army of One!! smile
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11
OP here... OK... I have narrowed it down to either a stainless Featherweight in 270....

OK........stop right there...Dogger,you are now GTG. whistle grin
I kinda thought he oughta go EW myself, but hey, what do I know? After all, I like 280's and 7 RM's...
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Man, some of you guys are just brutal here.............

Since I've managed to kill everything up to & including moose with a 270, guess I'd just say to the naysayers, if you can't get it done with a 270, likely you just can't get it done at all.

MM

EXACTLY!!
You naysayers know not of what you speak of. Benchrest accuracy for this caliber? Probably not but my Pre-64 easily gives me 1" or slightly under groups with boring regularity. It'll drive a 150 Partition at 2930 fps. A frind of mine used his years ago when he was assistant guiding for his father. On his own, he even took moose & a grizzly or 2 with nary a problem.
7mm? I don't need no stinkin' 7 mm anything if I've got my trusty .270 Win. Get the .270 & don't look back.
Bear in Fairbanks
Lol. It ain't too hard to get the 270 guys fired up! The 270 Win, along with the .30-06 and the .30-30, are prolly the 3 greatest cartridges of the 20th century. The 270 is a fine cartridge, and the reputation it has established since it was introduced is beyond reproach. The 270 Win and the .30-06 are truly the standards against which all other cartridges have been, and will be, judged. They will never die. They have become part of the American hunting persona, and have endured for one simple reason: they work.
Posted By: jstall Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11
I have never owned but 1 270 (not that I don't think they will do the job) and it's always killed whatever we shot with it. In my humble opinion if you want to increase killing power from a 270, you would have to step up to a 30 cal. magnum of some description and it would be marginal then.
On a cheap fish scale my New Haven M70 .270win. stainless featherweight with leather sling weighs right at 8 pounds. My laminated M700 ADL .270win. weighs 9 pounds. sick

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm planning on bloodying the Winchester this winter.
Posted By: podunk Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11
I have a donor rifle that id like to.build something on..... problem is I can't figure out what will out do.my. 270's..... grin
Podunk,
I'd think about something like a 6.5-06 or a 257 Weatherby Mag. Those 6.5 bullets have some nice S.D. and B.C.'s. And the 257 Weatherby Mag is simply superb. Or maybe a .338-06??
Posted By: podunk Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11
6.5/06 is wayyyyy to close to my. 270's..... 338-06 is a lot of gun. A really light weight. 257 Mag really appeals to me though.
At least a 24" tube to get the most out of it, though.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/01/11
OP here... OK... I have narrowed it down to either a stainless Featherweight in 270, the EW in 270, or a Featherweight (even a pushfeed variant) in 7x57 Mauser. I hope that by adding the 7x57 I am not fanning any flames of heated passion...

What twist rate does Winchester use on their 7x57s?

->

I have the push feed M70 Featherweight in 7x57 and I love it. it'll put three 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips into .75" on a regular basis. I tried some 170 gr. Sierra round nose bullets I had on hand and it put 5 into .375". shocked
It is rapidly becoming my favorite rifle.
I have a push feed Winchester M70 XTR with 24" barrel that is just as accurate as the 7x57 with 150 gr. Sierra Game Kings. The stock has a Winchester pad on it but the stock looks like a McMillan in the Featherweight style. Every .270 I've ver owned escept the Ruger #1A has been a one inch or tigher grouping rifle. The Ruger was bubba'd a bit so it took a bit of timkering to make it a 1,25" rifle. I think I'll keep it anyway.
Paul B.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/04/11
Ok, that does it... scratch the 270 and go 7x57 all the way... but I really want walnut/stainless... and that doesn't exist in factory form....
Posted By: ehunter Re: Throwing in the towel... - 11/04/11
Mine looks just like bsa1917hunter's in a edge except its a real 270 grin
© 24hourcampfire