Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh shure...YOU would have to chime in....... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since I own 4 270's at the moment, I applaud your decision. 3 of the 4 are M70's, but if I was looking for another, I'd look hard at the faux Ti remmy listed in the classifieds right now....

just sayin....

Tom

Regards,

Tom
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
You would be happy with either the extreme weather or a featherweight. I ended up getting a featherweight because I did find the EW stock a little clunky, especially the thick wrist. Were it not for that, I would have bought one. If I had to have just one rifle, it would be a stainless featherweight, or that rifle in BSA's picture with the Edge on it.

The barrel channel on my FW was a little off and needed to be sanded out a bit on one side and resealed. Once I did that, it proved to be a great shooter, and seems to tolerate a little heat without drifting or throwing fliers.

I had a Connecticut-made Sporter LT, which was pretty similar to the new ones except it had a 26" barrel. It was a beautiful rifle and shot well, but tipped the scales at over 10 lbs with a scope and steel bases/rings. I found it heavy after about 6 miles of climbing...

See Ernie the Gunsmith for a lighter trigger spring. It's an easy change and will get you to a 3 lb pull or close. http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i170.html

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have a 270. Hawkeye. Bought it..shot tubbs lapping bullets..bore coat came next..then new trigger..glass bed....now shoots slightly less than an inch..but cost more of cours

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogger
I am 55. All my life I have resisted the urge to buy a 270 Winchester. To heck with it. I am throwing in the towel. I figure a 270 is the one rifle I can continue to shoot into my 80s if I am fortunate to live that long (that or a 25-06). New production M70 Winchester will get the nod... still pondering whether to go walnut Featherweight, walnut Sporter or Bell & Carlson Extreme Weather. Any favorite setups out there for a .270?

I'd look around for a dealer in your area that might have all 3 variations and go on in, lay them all side by side, roll'em around and compare, pick'em up, handle (fondle) them a while and decide which one feels, balances and looks the best to you. I'm a 12 year old kid trapped in an old mans body so, IMHO, I don't think your throwing in the towel at all, at our age I think my kids call it living large grin

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geez, I kinda like my 270's, where's all the hate come from?

`Bring Enough Gun`
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Savuti
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Hope I never throw in the towel. grin

Hope to die without owning one. smile

Yeah, me 3.

Pete

Gotta go with this as well. I'll even throw in that I have absolutely no love for the parent case, either!

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i'll bite ... go with the circa mid 90's remington sendero in .270. it's awful to get it out to the stand, but when you get there, nothing but laser-like accuracy. and 3100 fps+ from the 26" tube. i love it and hate it at the same time.

much as i dislike admitting it, the cartridge is near about ideal for whitetail hunting. in my opinion is kicks a little harder and has a little more muzzle blast than it needs to, but the ballistics are just about right w/ a 130 g bullet.

despite the sendero abomination, i'd love to have one in a winchester featherweight .........

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I kind of got "trapped" into owning a .270. It's not that I don't respect it and know it's capabilities, but the first rifle I built/bought was a .30-06 that will shoot 5 rounds into 1/2". I could just never see there was enough difference between it and the .270....and besides, everyone and their brother owned a .270.

In the 1970's my father and I owned and operated a gun shop and did quite well building rifles from various actions and walnut blanks. The market for these rifles seemed to sort of dry up, or at least it dried up at the price we had to charge for such work. We sold all the stock we had ecept a barreled action S&W 1500 (the same action as today's Howa/Vangaurd)in .270 chambering.

In 1984 we decided to complete and sell that last rifle. As was our custom, I did the stock work and he did all the metal work (trigger, polish, blueing). The stock blank I used was a really nice piece of walnut that I styled in the way "I" liked, rather than as I would for a normal rifle to be sold. Once complete, it fit me perfectly....and as things worked out also fit my father to a tee. He decided to keep that rifle for his own use rather than sell it.

Then it happened. Less than 2 years later (at the age of 52) my father died from a sudden heart attack. I sort of lost heart and sold off most of the stock and closed the gunshop. When it came time to sell that .270 rifle, I just couldn't bring myself to let it go. It was, after all, the last rifle my father and I ever built together.

As it turned out it was a "keeper" even if it didn't have any special meaning for me. It will keep 5 shots under an inch with almost any load I feed it and has taken several deer over the years.....not because I think it is "better" than other rifles, but more for sentamental reasons.

So, you see, I didn't really "want" a .270.....but ended up with one anyway.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by orion03
Geez, I kinda like my 270's, where's all the hate come from?

This is how I see it......Not new enough for a lot of guys...if not hot off some designer's drawing board,it isn't suitable for modern hunting and shooting;sort of a "not invented by my generation" attitude.That most things properly hit with a 270 wind up just as dead as those things hit with the new toys, drives the guys nutz,so they make up stories, disparaging it. smirk

Since scope technology has advanced,guys want to bang gongs,shoot targets and animals out to 1000 yards.In a day and age when bullets with BC's in the 400's are regarded as aspirin tablets,the poor old 270 is found lacking among the real rifle nuts,due to lower BC bullets and slow twists in factory rifles.I can understand their dire plight and hands-off attitude.

Then there are the reports of inadequate killing capability;this usually and more often than not due to careless,sloppy marksmanship,and indifferent bullet placement.

If I did not count among many friends those who have taken moose by the score, along with elk, sheep, grizzly(in one case Alaskan BB),the Grand Slam of sheep,(one pal, met on here, has run the entire list of NA game except the big bears 3 times, one round complete with the 270 Win and 130 gr Bitterroots)along with African plains game from eland on down, I might buy into the "inadequate" arguments proffered by those of less experience than these guys.But mixing these experiences with my own observations(not as extensive by any means,wish it were grin , I tend to LMAO at those who moan and wail that the cartridge lacks killing power;laugh even harder at young guys having no experience with anything,and who listen to nonsense about the cartridge.... cool

What they miss is that if you shoot it well with good bullets,point it straight,it kills about as well on most game as its' competition;and likely its' LR capabilities exceed that of most users of other stuff, under field conditions involving live animals.With a 270, you can just go hunting and pretty much ignore the bullistic tables.

Stuck squarely between the 7mm's and 6.5's,there is not much reason for the low BC thing and maybe these new Matrix bullets,and faster twist barrels, will flush out some new facts about the cartridge.

I have not been without one since I got my first in 1968 or 69...despite dances with lots of other stuff(still going on today)I would not be without one,and presently have three.

To the OP, enjoy your new 270!What took you so long? smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/29/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I sit and ponder ballisic tables at night "I have no life".
I find there is not a spits worth a difference in any of the modern cartridges. Sure one may exceed the other by 200 fps. In the real world what does that get you $5 and a cup of coffee, inflation you see.

Last edited by j2dogs; 10/29/11.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
you also mentioned the 25-06 if looking for a rifle to shoot later in life i would go with it instead of the 270 as to me there is a noticeable difference and the 25-06 will kill anything in virginia.

gene

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Hate to agree with JM...but there it is.... grin

I always thought that .270's were to only be used as donors? whistle

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Alot of guys here getting damn good results with their Extreme Weather 270's. If you are going to throw in the towell and get a good one that would be a good place to start. Stick with the lighter variation of the wood blued if you go that route (fwt). They shoot just as good as the sporters and weigh much less and handle better.

Actually "bsa" is technically wrong. Winchester lists the Fwt. as 7# 2 oz. and the EW as 7# even for the .270Win.. Goes to show the marketing power of a name. There is no reason for the Fwt. to weigh this much. As said before, they should have redesigned this model when they made the move to S.C. and really have a true "featherweight"!

In either case, why the reluctance and trepidation for a .270Win?! The cartridge is fantastic! Easy recoil, wide enough variety of factory ammo and handloading options. What's not to like?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Don't listen to the naysayers.... once you go. 270 you wont turn back... most of the. 270 poor mouthers are senile anyhow... grin BTW +1 on the faux Ti in the classifieds.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a custom kevlar mountain rifle from Remington years ago. I ordered it in 270 win. I waited 6 months for it and called them. They didn't have a .270 barrel and had to order one from Shilen. They then told me they don't get a lot of requests for them. The majority of their custom guns were the big .300's. Banser rifles and Ed Brown were interviewed for a F&S article and said their top seller is .300 WBY. Now, that's interesting, but back to the .270. It was the least accurate rifle I ever owned. I sent it back to Remington and told them even handloads couldn't get a group smaller than 1 1/2" and I still got fliers. They told me that .270 bullets stink and that was the best I was going to see. Nobody made quality ammo or bullets because it just wasn't any use to target/military shooters. That was 20 years and I dumped that rifle and never bought another. I would honestly never buy another .270. Sorry Jim Carmichal. I can get match grade bullets/ammo in .22, 6mm, 6.5mm and .30 cal. I'd start with that and build a rifle around an accurate round I know I can get. Now a .260 Rem! That's another story.

I like shooting rifles down the range and have a few. I started benchrest shooting a few years ago and have been chasing the one hole group a while. When you're examining your loads and equipment down to the molecule, you see a lot of things you don't like and probably can't change.

Knowing what I know now, I would never buy another factory rifle. I haven't for 20+ years and have been worlds better off for it. If you have a problem, they are going to pass you off and you'll have to find a gunsmith. Might as well start with one. Buy the stock you like, the action you like, the trigger you like, and then buy a good barrel. Let a gunsmith who knows what he's doing put it together and go down the range and shoot groups that will make you run in circles making little squeaky noises.

PM M.Coleman and see what he thinks.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd get the walnut FW. You can't go wrong with a .270.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread.../1/SS_New_Haven_Win_Classic_Mod_7#UNREAD

IMO---this would be one heck of a rig to toss the towel in on. Would show a high level of IQ on your part as well. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sactoller
Originally Posted by ingwe
Hate to agree with JM...but there it is.... grin

I always thought that .270's were to only be used as donors? whistle

true dat...they make a good platform for building a 7x57..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My 60 year old wife would not allow a 270 in the house for herself, much less the man in her life. She wouldn't settle for anything less than a 30-06 for her. Even my (then) 20 year old daughter demanded a 30-06.

What's all this 270 nonsense about anyway? Grow a pair! wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,922
Posts18,498,484
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.