Home
Short video of my Whitetail from this year. Would this be a bullet failure because the buck made 30yds? cool

We had been looking for cat tracks and Kris's cat hunter Vlad provides great commentary.

Vlad can even tell when a bullet hits the heart at 760 yards, even more impressive.
I enjoy your videos, but your about 360 yards past my compentency.
Good one John.

Joseph
dramatic shot and great filming too...
Wish you'd post a photo of the buck, can't tell much about him from the video. Great shot though.
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek

I'm not going to lie, I'm in the same boat. 300 yards is about this ole Georgia boys max.

But then again, I don't practice, set up equipment or have anywhere to shoot that far so I'm ok.

Still, the accuracy and just flat our proof is unreal!
The deer was really shot with a 50 bmg. Anybody who is a real hunter knows that at that range the 50bmg is the only cartridge capable of penetrating hide reliably.

John probably had some fancy new fangled fin stabalized satalite laser guided sabo round launched from a special production smooth bore barrel at 5000 fps. As you can see in the video it barely killed the deer. I think I may have seen it wink at John before expiring even. I don't know, we will have to see the replay and make the final call.
nice... like your choice in cartridge...
The distortion trail from the bullet is rather impressive to watch as it arcs in. Great shot. Question - when adjusting the turret I noticed you went past your mark and then back to it. Do you do this every time as SOP?
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek

I'm not going to lie, I'm in the same boat. 300 yards is about this ole Georgia boys max.

But then again, I don't practice, set up equipment or have anywhere to shoot that far so I'm ok.

Still, the accuracy and just flat our proof is unreal!

Reminds me of my favorite line from Cheers:

"Night after night I sit in this bar drinking beer after beer trying to figure out what's gone wrong w/ my marriage..."

David
Good deal nice shooting - you need that Vlad fellow to do the play by play more often:)
Agree - I was cracking up listening to Vlad. He's great.

Congrats on the buck John - and yes - I'd like to see a photo of him too. 760 yards... wow... I can practice regularly to 600, but it's tougher to get beyond that.

Regards, Guy
Nice shooting John!
Very good! wink
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Short video of my Whitetail from this year. Would this be a bullet failure because the buck made 30yds? cool

We had been looking for cat tracks and Kris's cat hunter Vlad provides great commentary.

Great video. Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted by chicoredneck
The deer was really shot with a 50 bmg. Anybody who is a real hunter knows that at that range the 50bmg is the only cartridge capable of penetrating hide reliably.

John probably had some fancy new fangled fin stabalized satalite laser guided sabo round launched from a special production smooth bore barrel at 5000 fps. As you can see in the video it barely killed the deer. I think I may have seen it wink at John before expiring even. I don't know, we will have to see the replay and make the final call.

Oh... I almost forgot, great shot!
Great shot! Made more impressive by the fact that you were shooting off sticks. For me to shoot that far I'd have to be prone. Any tips for shooting off the sticks other than lots of practice?
Nice shooting.
I would have liked it more if you had been slumming the 243 smile Great video.
Originally Posted by EddyBo
I would have liked it more if you had been slumming the 243 smile Great video.

+1 eddy. Also Great shot John! Congrats on another great video. What you running those 140's at? Using retumbo?
Heck of a shot!
Nicely done John!

Dober
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Vlad can even tell when a bullet hits the heart at 760 yards, even more impressive.

Pretty typical reaction to a heart shot. Of course I've seen teh same reaction to a low ribcage shot or burn too.

Nice shot John.
Being ironical and/or sarcastic tends to fly right over you, don't it Jeff?
John, I just saw your turret in this video for the first time. Looks a lot like the custom Turrets from Leopold like my good buddy JJHack has on his 223. Custom set for a particualr BC and Bullet Speed it seems. I really like the concept. Do you make and sell those separate? I could be interested in one for my 257WBY, and maybe my 340 Tyrannosaur.

Also VERY interested in the portable shooting tripod and rear steady stick. Looks like a great way to shoot while out hunting. I find that prone shots are difficult to come by in real hunting country and my neck just will not allow me to do that position any more. Please tell me/us more about those shooting supports! The biggest reason I limit my shots to 500 yards is my inability to accurately place shots past that point with my to date favorite shooting system i.e. shooting cross sticks and a tight shooting sling. the system I am seeing you use looks to be steadier yet. I might be ready for some longer distance stuff, my rifle is sure up to it in a big way. Thanks for the reply and intel! MARK
I'm real sure it's the Stoney Point tripod with the tag-along. It takes a little practice to setup and position quickly, but not too difficult. Very stable support and gets you over the grass and sage brush. John gives some good advice on using it on one of his DVD sets.

Bob
Originally Posted by safariman
Also VERY interested in the portable shooting tripod and rear steady stick. Looks like a great way to shoot while out hunting. I find that prone shots are difficult to come by in real hunting country and my neck just will not allow me to do that position any more. Please tell me/us more about those shooting supports!

John,
Excellent shot and great video.

I too would like more info on the shooting supports. My dad isn't as steady as he used to be and a support like the one you use would make his hunt more enjoyable.

P
Great shot and video! Thanks for sharing.
John probably had some fancy new fangled fin stabalized satalite laser guided sabo round launched from a special production smooth bore barrel at 5000 fps.

Predator drone.
Originally Posted by Bobcape
I'm real sure it's the Stoney Point tripod with the tag-along. It takes a little practice to setup and position quickly, but not too difficult. Very stable support and gets you over the grass and sage brush. John gives some good advice on using it on one of his DVD sets.

Bob

If I am going to try a very long shot, I will have a lot of time for set up or I will not try it. Not one to spray and pray at a living, bleeding sentient being. This is why I wont try past 500, I cannot do it with the equipment I have been using but am anxious to try this new stuff, and maybe even WITH a tight shooting sling as well. Will probably try it both ways as well as get some input from John here.

I will have to get this stuff before spring time so I can pracitce with it on Rodents. If I get it right away, will go after some Coyotes over the winter so equipped.
Originally Posted by selmer
The distortion trail from the bullet....

or maybe heat trail?
Here is picture of the buck and the �Star� of the video, Vlad.

[Linked Image]

He was a funny guy. grin
I will try and get some pictures and an explanation of the shooting sticks together. Bob is right that it is the Stoney Point Tripod with the Tag-Along rear support.

Originally Posted by Bobcape
I'm real sure it's the Stoney Point tripod with the tag-along. It takes a little practice to get setup and positioned quickly, but not too difficult. Very stable support and gets you over the grass and sage brush. John gives some good advice on using it on one of his DVD sets.

Bob

If I am going to try a very long shot, I will have a lot of time for set up or I will not try it. Not one to spray and pray at a living, bleeding sentient being. This is why I wont try past 500, I cannot do it with the equipment I have been using but am anxious to try this new stuff, and maybe even WITH a tight shooting sling as well. Will probably try it both ways as well as get some input from John here.

I will have to get this stuff before spring time so I can pracitce with it on Rodents. If I get it right away, will go after some Coyotes over the winter so equipped.

Maybe "quickly" was not the right word to use. How about "efficiently"? You want to be able to get setup efficiently on your target so you have plenty of time to prep your shot. You just need to practice setting it up pointing correctly and at the right height. It's not difficult, but I've let others try it and seen them struggle the first time. Definitely get it soon for coyotes. It's great because you can have the rifle sitting freehand on it while you call.

John - I look forward to more tips on the Stoney Point.

Bob
Another good video. Nice shoot'n !
Where is the best (read cheapest... smile ) outlet to buy the Stoney Point system?
Good buck! You and Vlad are okay, but the video & photo would have been better with Kasandra in it. Much better looking!
Originally Posted by Reloder28

or maybe heat trail?

Vapor trail. I can usually pick it up at 300yd or so. The more inline you are with the shooter the easier it is to see. For that camera to pick it up located off to the side indicates some very good glass.
John probably had some fancy new fangled fin stabalized satalite laser guided sabo round launched from a special production smooth bore barrel at 5000 fps.

Predator drone.

Ai'd... smile

Dober
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Being ironical and/or sarcastic tends to fly right over you, don't it Jeff?

Most of the time probably.. I"m running 100 miles an hour most times.... and just give it a wing shot on posts....probably shouldn't but thats my life at the moment.

Of course I did have a point there, while you can tell sometimes from a simple reaction, you can't always. Didn't figure that one could see the bullet pierce the heart at that range with a pair of binocs or even scope. Figured you could see blood in the general area but a for sure location would be tough.

or maybe heat trail?

Or correctly stated "trace" Which is simply the atmosphere being parted as the bullet passes through it.
Originally Posted by rost495

or maybe heat trail?

Or correctly stated "trace" Which is simply the atmosphere being parted as the bullet passes through it.

I didn't want to get too technical. One concept at a time. laugh
I'm proud of you John. You were one of my best students. wink
I still need to know more about the rest system, the scope turret and the cheapest place to get 'em!
Here is picture of the buck and the �Star� of the video, Vlad.

[Linked Image]

He was a funny guy. grin
I will try and get some pictures and an explanation of the shooting sticks together. Bob is right that it is the Stoney Point Tripod with the Tag-Along rear support.

Exactly to the heart..

Nice shot..
John, well done as per usual. Where's big stick at? Thought he was your number one fan... laugh
I could have done that with my right hand tied behind my back while shooting a pistol and running away from the deer.

grin

Nice shooting, as always.
I still need to know more about the rest system, the scope turret and the cheapest place to get 'em!

John sells the scope and has a system for you to gather the data so they can make the turrets for you. He may sell the Stoney Point as well.

Bob

whistle grin
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stoney+point+tripod+with+tag+along

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=greybull+precision+turret
Thats a nice shot.
Smart Aleck
Originally Posted by Comrade_Cheese

I thought it was funny. (grin)
Me too. And thanks for linking that site. I've already used it at work smile
My Google fu ain't bad, but Google does not always give the BEST places to find and buy stuff. Some of my favorite fun store sights and saved favorites came from refferals here like Ammunition to Go, Underwood ammunition manufacturing, Blue Star Brass, several places that make really good fast twist 10/22 barrels etc. None of these showed up when I Google'd for the items I eventually bought from these places and in each case had FAR better pricing and avaialability than the top Google sites that came up in a query. Trying to find 348WIN and 250/3000 brass, inexpensive 10mm ammo, fast twist 10/22 barrels, other items were made much easier and cheaper by refferals directly from 24hrcf members.
Brad cover the links pretty good. While we are not the cheapest we do try and be the best when it comes to the optics.

www.GreyBullPrecision.com
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Predator drone.

Ai'd... smile

Dober

Of course an AI'd, predator drone, satalite laser guided, sabo round, fin stabalized muniton, launched from a smooth bore rifle at 5000 fps. I think we got it. Now if John could only confirm for us.
Brad cover the links pretty good. While we are not the cheapest we do try and be the best when it comes to the optics.

www.GreyBullPrecision.com

PM incoming.....
Looks like Johns turrets aren't available for sale except to people who purchased his optic.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Looks like Johns turrets aren't available for sale except to people who purchased his optic.

Because, they work on the scope he sells..
Well if that is the case, I will have to go back to the Leopold custom turret idea, I guess. Pretty similar as far as I can tell.
Safariman,

Here is another choice.

http://kentonindustries.com/
Just looked them over. Thanks for the link!
© 24hourcampfire