Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EddyBo
I would have liked it more if you had been slumming the 243 smile Great video.

+1 eddy. Also Great shot John! Congrats on another great video. What you running those 140's at? Using retumbo?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Heck of a shot!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nicely done John!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Vlad can even tell when a bullet hits the heart at 760 yards, even more impressive.

Pretty typical reaction to a heart shot. Of course I've seen teh same reaction to a low ribcage shot or burn too.

Nice shot John.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Being ironical and/or sarcastic tends to fly right over you, don't it Jeff?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, I just saw your turret in this video for the first time. Looks a lot like the custom Turrets from Leopold like my good buddy JJHack has on his 223. Custom set for a particualr BC and Bullet Speed it seems. I really like the concept. Do you make and sell those separate? I could be interested in one for my 257WBY, and maybe my 340 Tyrannosaur.

Also VERY interested in the portable shooting tripod and rear steady stick. Looks like a great way to shoot while out hunting. I find that prone shots are difficult to come by in real hunting country and my neck just will not allow me to do that position any more. Please tell me/us more about those shooting supports! The biggest reason I limit my shots to 500 yards is my inability to accurately place shots past that point with my to date favorite shooting system i.e. shooting cross sticks and a tight shooting sling. the system I am seeing you use looks to be steadier yet. I might be ready for some longer distance stuff, my rifle is sure up to it in a big way. Thanks for the reply and intel! MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm real sure it's the Stoney Point tripod with the tag-along. It takes a little practice to setup and position quickly, but not too difficult. Very stable support and gets you over the grass and sage brush. John gives some good advice on using it on one of his DVD sets.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by safariman
Also VERY interested in the portable shooting tripod and rear steady stick. Looks like a great way to shoot while out hunting. I find that prone shots are difficult to come by in real hunting country and my neck just will not allow me to do that position any more. Please tell me/us more about those shooting supports!

John,
Excellent shot and great video.

I too would like more info on the shooting supports. My dad isn't as steady as he used to be and a support like the one you use would make his hunt more enjoyable.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great shot and video! Thanks for sharing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by chicoredneck
John probably had some fancy new fangled fin stabalized satalite laser guided sabo round launched from a special production smooth bore barrel at 5000 fps.

Predator drone.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bobcape
I'm real sure it's the Stoney Point tripod with the tag-along. It takes a little practice to setup and position quickly, but not too difficult. Very stable support and gets you over the grass and sage brush. John gives some good advice on using it on one of his DVD sets.

Bob

If I am going to try a very long shot, I will have a lot of time for set up or I will not try it. Not one to spray and pray at a living, bleeding sentient being. This is why I wont try past 500, I cannot do it with the equipment I have been using but am anxious to try this new stuff, and maybe even WITH a tight shooting sling as well. Will probably try it both ways as well as get some input from John here.

I will have to get this stuff before spring time so I can pracitce with it on Rodents. If I get it right away, will go after some Coyotes over the winter so equipped.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by selmer
The distortion trail from the bullet....

or maybe heat trail?

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here is picture of the buck and the �Star� of the video, Vlad.

[Linked Image]

He was a funny guy. grin
I will try and get some pictures and an explanation of the shooting sticks together. Bob is right that it is the Stoney Point Tripod with the Tag-Along rear support.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by Bobcape
I'm real sure it's the Stoney Point tripod with the tag-along. It takes a little practice to get setup and positioned quickly, but not too difficult. Very stable support and gets you over the grass and sage brush. John gives some good advice on using it on one of his DVD sets.

Bob

If I am going to try a very long shot, I will have a lot of time for set up or I will not try it. Not one to spray and pray at a living, bleeding sentient being. This is why I wont try past 500, I cannot do it with the equipment I have been using but am anxious to try this new stuff, and maybe even WITH a tight shooting sling as well. Will probably try it both ways as well as get some input from John here.

I will have to get this stuff before spring time so I can pracitce with it on Rodents. If I get it right away, will go after some Coyotes over the winter so equipped.

Maybe "quickly" was not the right word to use. How about "efficiently"? You want to be able to get setup efficiently on your target so you have plenty of time to prep your shot. You just need to practice setting it up pointing correctly and at the right height. It's not difficult, but I've let others try it and seen them struggle the first time. Definitely get it soon for coyotes. It's great because you can have the rifle sitting freehand on it while you call.

John - I look forward to more tips on the Stoney Point.

Bob

Last edited by Bobcape; 12/14/11.

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another good video. Nice shoot'n !

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where is the best (read cheapest... smile ) outlet to buy the Stoney Point system?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good buck! You and Vlad are okay, but the video & photo would have been better with Kasandra in it. Much better looking!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by selmer
The distortion trail from the bullet....

or maybe heat trail?

Vapor trail. I can usually pick it up at 300yd or so. The more inline you are with the shooter the easier it is to see. For that camera to pick it up located off to the side indicates some very good glass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by chicoredneck
John probably had some fancy new fangled fin stabalized satalite laser guided sabo round launched from a special production smooth bore barrel at 5000 fps.

Predator drone.

Ai'd... smile

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Being ironical and/or sarcastic tends to fly right over you, don't it Jeff?

Most of the time probably.. I"m running 100 miles an hour most times.... and just give it a wing shot on posts....probably shouldn't but thats my life at the moment.

Of course I did have a point there, while you can tell sometimes from a simple reaction, you can't always. Didn't figure that one could see the bullet pierce the heart at that range with a pair of binocs or even scope. Figured you could see blood in the general area but a for sure location would be tough.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 264mag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 28 invisible), 14,592 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,955
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.