Home
I am in the process of looking at 2 LH 30-06's and would like some input from owners of these rifles (I would like actual feedback rather than gun magazine reviews as they tend to be biased). I am looking at a stainless Tikka T3 30-06 and a Savage 30-06 I would like owner input on pro's and con's of each to help build a base platform for my decision also feel free to toss in your ideas and input for other makers of Left handed 30-06's.

Thanks in advance
I've had 3 Tikkas and the action is awesome, the trigger is the best on a stock gun I've every shot, and all my Tikka's have been absolute tack drivers with just about every handload and factory load. I don't like the Savage's I've handled. I do like the location of the safety though.
My brother has a stainless/synth savage 30/06, and it shoots 150 grain fusions right about moa.
A Savage rifle always feels more like a collection of parts than a rifle to me.Maybe this is because many Savage owners like to brag on how easy it is to change boltfaces and barrels.I used to own a lh 116 in .338 win and the only things that broke were the stock and the pin that holds the bolt head on.The accutrigger is a neat gimmic,but it can get uncocked.

I did'nt own my T3 lite long enough to break it. If it had been a 30-06 I might have kept it long enough to buy it an aluminum floorplate .

I'm now shooting a stainless lh Ruger.
If it don't work out I might buy another Tikka.
Didn't care for a ton of things on my T3. The one size fits all action, the protruding plastic magazine, the plastic TG and bolt shroud, the feel of the synthetic stock, the ridiculous recoil luggette inlet into the stock, and the overall aesthetics of the rifle.
Not to mention how SLOW that barrel was. With only mediocre accuracy I saw no reason to keep it.

Savages ain't pretty but they're strong, accurate and they lend themselves well to modifications and customization.
Buy American
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Buy American

Written on a Chinese computer.

FAIL.
The Tikkas I've handled were NICE... I love the way the bolt feels like it is sliding on glass and their reputation for accuracy... but I've never owned one.

I have a couple of Savages and they're an awesome value, though I've not owned a LH/SS rifle of theirs.

If I were you I'd let the fit/feel of the individual rifles make the decision for you; I don't think you can go wrong with either.
go to the gun store pick up handle and cycle 1 of each ,bet you leave with the Tikka
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Buy American

Written on a Chinese computer.

FAIL.

still laffin'.....
Thanks for the input I am very PRO American (I wouldn't be sitting in Afghanistan if I wasn't). But at the same time I want a nice well rounded rifle that I wont be afraid of taking into the Alaskan back country when I get home on R&R and post deployment as I should return during the fall bear season. I have had mixed emotions on the savage and the Tikka. And I have steered clear from Remington as I have had nothing but issues with my past Remington rifles. I may also look into the Ruger's but right now I am on the fence with the Tikka and Savage brands.
About 3 years ago, I was in the same boat (paddling right handed though). I whittled my choices down to Tikka, Howa, and Savage. Although I prefer a tang safety, I went with the Tikka, it just cycled so smooth and it feels good in my hands. It shoots good too, no problem finding loads that will do an inch or less for 3 shots @ 100 yds.

FWIW,

Dale
Another vote for the Tikka...
Anti american bastid...... grin
As I sit here typing on my chinese computer I am still thinking, buy American! Give the Ruger Hawkeye a look if you have have questions about the Savage.
The ONLY bad thing I have to say about Tikka is that they persist in making a .270...
And no 7x57...... hmm what's that tell you?...... wink
Tell's me they have no panache, and no soul....

But load development, as Royce said, for a Tikka consists of putting a cartridge in one.....
Savage or Marlin XL 7...

I know that Ingwe is getting angina over that recommendation....

but either will hold up in the brush, plus if you ever want to change to another caliber, either would be much easier and cheaper to do so..
I like the Marlins...for the money...definitely....

I don't like the Savages, if they are free.....
Originally Posted by ingwe
But load development, as Royce said, for a Tikka consists of putting a cartridge in one.....
Yep, that's how they work. Great hunting tools. I have two of the older 595/695 Tikka's and they're the most consistently accurate factory rifles I've ever owned. By that I mean they shoot anything you stuff in their chambers sub MOA. Never had to do a darn thing to either of them to get there either. Just mount scopes, load and shoot. Too bad nobody else can seem to get that right except by accident on rare occasions.
I don't like the newer Tikkas because I got sold on the Older Tikkas from back in the late 80s early 90s...

same with the older Sakos....

any free Savages show up in your shop Ingwe, feel free to call me.. I'll get those out of your hair.. especially if they are a Predator Model...
I know they shoot, and shoot well...but I also know earthworms will catch fish...I just can't bring myself to use one....
I know they shoot, and shoot well...but I also know earthworms will catch fish...I just can't bring myself to use one....

yeah Ingwe, even tho you and I may not have the same tastes.. I have to yield and admit.. you have a way with words...that easily explain your perspective...

dat be why you'b da Poobaa...
Let's just say the boundaries of my Hypocrisy are usually ill-defined..... whistle
Tell's me they have no panache, and no soul...

Ahhh, cough, cough...Tom, what about the grand old 6.5x55 SE?

As to answer the OP's question, get the Tikka. See this thread for some of my Tikka comments: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._the_more_i_look_at_the_tikk#Post6025204

BTW, I thought my 30'06 T3 was a great hunting rifle, I just replaced it with a better one: a SS Tikka T3 in 6.5x55...
A sample of one is just that... My buddy bought the LH SS Savage in 30-06 when they came out with the new stock design. He couldn't get it to shoot with several different factory loads, so I offered to handload for it. He was dead set on shooting factory loads, so sent the rifle back to Savage. They shot a 5 shot group with factory match ammo close to 3in, then sent the target and rifle back to him stating it passed their accuracy test. He was so pissed, he got in the truck and went to a local gun shop to trade it for a 700. Took a big loss, but luckily the 700 shot sub moa with factory ammo.

At least Tikka has an accuracy gtty. How many folks do you hear saying T3s don't shoot?

All factory rifles are a gamble when it comes to accuracy, some just less of a gamble than others.

Good Luck,

loder
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

BTW, I thought my 30'06 T3 was a great hunting rifle, I just replaced it with a better one: a SS Tikka T3 in 6.5x55...

Bob: I will concede...on the panache scale, the 6.5 is above the '06......( but below the 7x57... whistle )

grin
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

Bob: I will concede...on the panache scale, the 6.5 is above the '06......( but below the 7x57... whistle )

grin

The 6.5s (.260 especially) have panache out the azz grin . I haven't figured out if the 7x57 is for sophisticates or those who have caught the gay. I'll likely never find out.....

George
Well gents, it seems the consensus here for the most part is for the Tikka. Marlin was mentioned, but remember bearkiller kills bears with his left hand, and unless I missed it somewhere Marlin doesn't cater to southpaws. Otherwise I'd have already sold him on the Marlin. I like Rugers, they just don't have as smooth an action as my Marlin, but bearkiller - when you make it home on leave if you're up in our neck of the woods, stop by my place. I'll tell the missus to let you go play with my 22-250 for a while so you can get a feel for the Ruger.
Sounds good matt I will most def. look into that. You know I plan on trying for my first WA state blackie this summer as well depending on my R&R dates and such. But seems the Tikka is what people are giving the +1 to. As for doing barrel swaps and such I do not plan on hunting anything that requires more than a 30-06 and we all know from first hand experience a 1000+lb brown bear will fall to a well placed shot with a .06 smile
here is the shot group from my mossberg 4x4 30-06 @ 100 the stray round was the first shot when I was setting the zero on it. The gun sadly is falling apart after well over 200 rounds through it and a abusive prior owner. She served her purpose well though and dropped 2 nice black bears last year. All rounds I sent through it were the winchester XP3 which were dead on and never failed me.
[Linked Image]

The rifle is one of the tightest tack drivers I have ever shot and I was hitting the same groups at 300yd there are a total of 5 shots taken on this target first shot was low and left so made a adjustment second two were to see where it was while making adjustments to the scope with the final result 1/2 high @ 100
© 24hourcampfire