Home
Posted By: RTSJ Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/18/13
Would like to hear your thoughts on which and why? Definately staying with the 140 gr. Should be moving at around 3100 fps. And shots let's say from 25-500 yds.

Thanks Roy
Partition.
Partition.The only one I have ever used.
A friend use serria with great Resluts an the 140 gr
[Linked Image]

120 TSX

[Linked Image]

140 Partitions

Both versions were fired at the lesser speeds of the Swede, neither, however, were taken from elk. Barnes was from a Beluga whale skull, the Noslers from a moose.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/19/13
140 Partitions
used a 120 barnes ttsx at a shade under 300 yards out of a speed. through and through both shoulders on a larger cow elk
Posted By: Mull Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/19/13
I Shot One Couple of Years Ago With The 120 Barnes TSSX Out Of My 6.5-284. Shot Was Around

80 Yard . Bullet Entred In The Neck And Wound up Lodged In The Of Side Ham. Worked Well For Me..
127 LRX, especially if you're starting them at 3200+. Not an elk alive that can withstand that!
Originally Posted by greentimber
127 LRX, especially if you're starting them at 3200+. Not an elk alive that can withstand that!

YEP. Either that one or the 120 TTSX. You don't need 140gr of bullet in 6.5 when using a bullet that typically does not shed the weight upon entry that most other bullets, including a partition, shed.

I even load Barnes 120's for most of the 7mm rifles I load for.
Originally Posted by RTSJ
Would like to hear your thoughts on which and why? Definately staying with the 140 gr. Should be moving at around 3100 fps. And shots let's say from 25-500 yds.

Thanks Roy

Posters over in the elk forum seem to love the VLD...
Posted By: ACLakey Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/19/13
When I had my 6.5-06 the I found the 140gr Nosler Partition was just about a perfect hunting bullet at those velocities. I also killed several animals with the 140gr BT and 140gr Gameking but ALWAYS came back to the Partition.
Those 140 Partitions I pictured above were plucked off from the hide of a bull moose while skinning. They had struck the onside leg area in the muscles, punched holes through the lungs, and continued on through the offside leg muscles without hitting leg bones on either side. Two more 140s, A-FRames, did the same but stopped inside the muscles of the offside leg. Ironically, the big "tipover shot" came about because of a 180 grain Core-lokt, side-to-side through nothing but ribs and lungs, from a 30-06.
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/19/13
I got 140 bergers, partitions and Hornady Sst's as well as 230 Scirocco's. No Barnes yet. Gun was built around the Bergers and shoots then into .3's. Not worried about their performance on longer range shots just concerned about rounding a corner and a bull be 25 yds away. Not sure how it will hold up!

Roy
Posted By: kutenay Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/19/13
I have not (yet) shot a big animal, moose or elk with my customized P-64 Westerner, which runs 140 NPs at 3250 into .5ish anytime I can shoot straight. I may be going to NE BC next month for moose and given some of the longish shots available there, may well take it and either one of my .338WM or 9.3x62 rifles for this trip.

The elk, etc. that I have seen shot with this round, long ago, when it was fairly popular among many older, serious hunters/rifle nuts here, were killed with WW factory ammo and 140 NP handloads.

I have a lot of the latter, 140NP over IMR-7828 and will take this as my choice if I do choose this rifle for this hunt. I usually just take a pair of CRF .338WM. rifles on any northern BC trip and they have always made a good setup.

I would NOT use a "soft" or "C&C" bullet in this situation.
140 gr. Partition, worked in a 6.5x54M-S, a 256 Newton, and a Swede. Never saw a need for anything else!
Cheers
I have used 140 Partitions, 120 TTSX and 130 Accubond. The Partitions killed noticeably faster than the TTSX, but I'm presently using 130 Accubonds. Lost one elk with an Accubond despite a nice exit wound. All in a 264 win mag
Posted By: 65BR Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/19/13
How far did you track the Elk that was lost? So the elk turned after the shot to show the exit? Helluva a tough animal.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/20/13
I haven't taken an elk with one yet, but I'll be carrying a 256 Newton with 140gr Partitions this year. I can't see how a person would need more than that.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/20/13
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I have used 140 Partitions, 120 TTSX and 130 Accubond. The Partitions killed noticeably faster than the TTSX, but I'm presently using 130 Accubonds. Lost one elk with an Accubond despite a nice exit wound. All in a 264 win mag

This is quite interesting and NO snide, offensive bullsh!t intended here, at all, but, would you mind giving a more thorough, detailed commentary on exactly what happened here?

I was born, raised and went to work, in resource management, in elk country, here in BC and I KNOW just how TOUGH these big beasts can be, which is why I almost always use one of my .338WM-250 NP combos for our mandatory "6-pt.rule" hunting them, but, I am really curious as to the whole .264WM and Accubond issue.

One of my regular hunting buddies, has shot a couple of moose and cow elk with his .338RUM and Accubonds, seems quite happy with them.
Posted By: toad Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/20/13
I've used the 140 NPT, 160 gr. Hornady, 130 TSX, and 130 SSII. I've watched the 140 Coreloss used on elk.

my fav is the TSX for my use. i try to anchor elk on the spot (they like to use their last 20 seconds to make your next several hours suck if you let them) so i target shoulder bones when i can. the TSX excels in this role.

and i agree that elk can be tough to put down if they get a chance to 'brace themselves'

Posted By: 30338 Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/20/13
I've got a bunch of 160 woodleighs loaded up for the 6.5-06 and they shoot fantastic in it. Have yet to kill anything with them though as the 140 Bergers have been quite lethal on everything I have shot with them so far. Someday I need to use those Woodleighs.
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/20/13
Originally Posted by toad
I've used the 140 NPT, 160 gr. Hornady, 130 TSX, and 130 SSII. I've watched the 140 Coreloss used on elk.

my fav is the TSX for my use. i try to anchor elk on the spot (they like to use their last 20 seconds to make your next several hours suck if you let them) so i target shoulder bones when i can. the TSX excels in this role.

Toad... how did the sccirocco II's shoot and perform on game? I got a box and need to try them.

Roy
Originally Posted by 30338
I've got a bunch of 160 woodleighs loaded up for the 6.5-06 and they shoot fantastic in it. Have yet to kill anything with them though as the 140 Bergers have been quite lethal on everything I have shot with them so far. Someday I need to use those Woodleighs.

I would love to see how those 160 woodleighs would shoot in my 6.5 Sherman. Should hit 3k pretty easy. I would think they should stabilize in an 8 twist OK. Bet those would smack the hell out of an elk!!! What's the BC on that bullet?

Roy
Originally Posted by RTSJ

Toad... how did the sccirocco II's shoot and perform on game? I got a box and need to try them.

Roy

sample of one but it did a good job. direct hit on a rib bone going in, nicely scrambeled the front of the lungs and some important plumbing, clipped offside shoulder bone on the way out and left a ~1" exit hole in the hide. i will use them again.

they can be finiky to get to shoot though. the rifle i'm using them has a Brux barrel and shoots them nicely, but I've given up on them on them in another of my .264s.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/20/13
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...eter-160-grain-protected-point-box-of-50

.509 BC. Stabilizes great in an 8 twist.
Thanks Taod and 30338.

I'm running a #3 Rock so hope it shoots the SSII's. Not sure if id run em on elk but bet they would be a deer hammer. Think they r harder than an accubond and would penetrate deeper?

Roy
i haven't shot anything with a .264" NAB, so i can't answer that, but my best guess is that the SSII and NAB would yield similar results but i probably shouldn't even venture a guess with one kill via SSII and none with the .264 NAB.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/20/13
Roy, the Accubond, SSII, Barnes, and Partition - I'd sling any of those at Elk, w/o fear.

This might help you:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1483776/page/0/fpart/1

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4783400/Huge_264_bullet_test_Part_Deux

Roy, give the 127LRXa run.
[Linked Image]
Barnes 120 TTSX 350 yards on the spike.
They've worked from Whitetail to Moose

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/22/13
Love the Stormy Kromer. What's that nice looking little rifle your carrying, caliber etc?

Thanks everyone for your input. I can't get the OP's speed outa my Swede, but I'm always interested in 6.5 performance story's.

Probably use the Swede on a cow hunt later this year dwon in AZ, assuming the MRI I'm getting "only" shows a biceps tendon injury and not any rotator cuff involvement. Had to pass on archery deer here already and would hope not to have to donate my cow tag in Dec.

Geno
Originally Posted by 65BR
Roy, the Accubond, SSII, Barnes, and Partition - I'd sling any of those at Elk, w/o fear.

I'd add the North Fork bullets to that list. They don't have the highest BC but are fine out to your self-imposed limit of 500 yards or the 600 at which I practice.

My first choice would be North Fork or Barnes TTSX/LRX, Second choice I'd be happy with any of the other three (Scirocco II, AccuBond, Partition).

I've driven a 7mm 140g North Fork ham-to-sternum on a muley buck, dropping it like a stone. (Not the intended point of impact but good results nonetheless.) Same with Barnes MRX (predecessor to the TTSX and LRX) and have had nothing but good results with TTSX in calibers from .257 to .308.

I know u said 140s, but I think for big stuff it is very tough to beat a 156 grain Norma oryx which is bonded or the 155 Lapua mega, which is not bonded but is still a premium bullet. Both are sold in 100 packs and prices are good. BCs not super high compared to AB but the SD is super. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Love the Stormy Kromer. What's that nice looking little rifle your carrying, caliber etc?

Thanks everyone for your input. I can't get the OP's speed outa my Swede, but I'm always interested in 6.5 performance story's.

Probably use the Swede on a cow hunt later this year dwon in AZ, assuming the MRI I'm getting "only" shows a biceps tendon injury and not any rotator cuff involvement. Had to pass on archery deer here already and would hope not to have to donate my cow tag in Dec.

Geno

Thanks!
It is a 260 Rem Model Seven converted to ADL in a Bansner/HTS stock
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6485640/Faux_tucky

Preconversion wife's moose
[Linked Image]

IME, the 155 Mega is more accurate than the 160 Woody.

SSII's are COAL sensitive like VLD's. They're pretty accurate with the right COAL. One can use the Berger COAL protocol with SSII's.

DF
Ill have 3 6.5s with me next month in Colorado. I plan to carry my 264 WM primarily with 140 NPT. Bac up 1 will be 6.5-284 with 120 TSXs and #2 will be my 260 with 125 NPT. Never killed an elk with any 6.5, but ive killed plenty of other game to leave me with no reservation.
Posted By: DBLTAP Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/23/13
My wife took a nice bull with the 6.5 creed and 129 sst last year was impressed
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/23/13
Thanks for the info and the link.

The Kromer cap looks better on your wife, maybe it's not the hat but the model? grin

Looks like a 6.5 will kill big stuff.

PM sent, thanks again.

Geno
Originally Posted by kutenay
Originally Posted by exbiologist

This is quite interesting and NO snide, offensive bullsh!t intended here, at all, but, would you mind giving a more thorough, detailed commentary on exactly what happened here?

I was born, raised and went to work, in resource management, in elk country, here in BC and I KNOW just how TOUGH these big beasts can be, which is why I almost always use one of my .338WM-250 NP combos for our mandatory "6-pt.rule" hunting them, but, I am really curious as to the whole .264WM and Accubond issue.

One of my regular hunting buddies, has shot a couple of moose and cow elk with his .338RUM and Accubonds, seems quite happy with them.

Here's the story on that lost elk:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Toughest_Big_Game_Recovery_#Post5019067
I might find out how a 120 ballistic tip works on elk this year if I am lucky.

Posted By: UKdave Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/24/13
Ive shot a ton of DEER with the 120BT and they can make a mess if not centered properly, however, they all failed because I never recovered one!!! (bullet not deer)
Posted By: fremont Re: Best 6.5 bullet for elk??? - 09/28/13
160 Woodleighs
Originally Posted by fremont
160 Woodleighs

Good bullet with nice terminal performance. There is a thread on the Fire showing recovered bullets. Do a search.

I would suggest comparing the 160 Woody with the 155 Lapua Mega. IME, the Mega is a good bit more accurate than either then 160 or 140 Woody.

DF
© 24hourcampfire