Home
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
Mulling a rifle purchase for Uncle Dan (me)for the Yuletide.

Can get barely used Sako 85 Finnlight 7mm08 for a great price, or NIB Tikka T3 SS Lite .308 or T3 Forester .260 for about several hundred less. Or a NIB Montana in .308 for bout same as Finnlight.

All but the Forester are SS and I'd like a more foul-weather capable rig, but kinda gay for a .260 that would likely be quite accurate.

What say the Turdlike and Rifle-Enlightened? grin
This will be good before it's over...

I can tell you I have a T3 Lite and I am very happy. I did order a McMillan for it (which may be in someday) and will probably add the hardened recoil lug.

But, I have a desire for a full fledged SAKO. Probably wouldn't have to spend any extra on aesthetics, just get glass and go.

If it were me�I'd get the 260 Forester and use the extra $$ to buy glass and reloading stuff ( if you don't have it).

Any choice won't be wrong.

Just my .02
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
Montana's are a crap shoot. I'd go Tikka or Sako.
Posted By: RenoH414 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
I'd go Tikka and spend the rest on glass. Just my opinion though.

Reno
Posted By: Shod Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
I already have a tikka t3 and for sure after handling the rifle and shooting it am 100% sold on the tikka.....however......I'd probably have to get the sako or the Montana. It'd probably be the sako only because it's in 7/08. If the Montana was in 7/08 I'd get the Montana. No matter what your choice is with picks like those you can't go wrong.

Shod
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
My pick would be the Sako, I just picked up that very same rifle for my wife and its very nice!
Sako finnlight. The rest are second best.

Dink
I've studiously avoided the 7mm-08 for more than three decades, but Hell, even Petzal likes it! No good reason, just didn't want one for the same reason many poor mouth the 6.8mm O'Connor on these hallowed pages.

That Finnlight is so handy it bout makes me swoon. Would it be sacrilege to thread that pretty little barrel?

Gonna have the Tikka place make sure they ain't got a SS Lite in 7-08 in a corner.

'Course being a cheap bastid I'm tempted to just get the .308 Lite...or a .243 (& Mackay Sagebrush it) and save enough dough to grap up a Ruger American SS Compact when they come out in a couple months.

All these good choices are giving me the Yule Drools.
In my opinion (remember it's worth what you paid for it) one good Sako takes the place of dozens of Rugers, tikka's, etc. Once you find a load for it you will leave all other factory center fires in the safe.

Dink
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
I have considered a Finnlite many times (actually owned one once for a few days) but I just can't get by a couple big (to me) problems:

For what it costs, the Finnlite should come with a quality stock.

I really dislike the scope mount options. It's just too limiting, and the Optilock system is massive and heavy.

The barrel lengths often seem not real good to me (22" in 25-06, or 20" in 260)

smile

Sako if the funds are there. Tikka next and I'd never have a Kimber. It's 50/50 with those Montana's.
Sako would be so far down my list it'd be off the page for reasons Whelan explained.
Posted By: GSP814 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
Sako!
Posted By: lhead71 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
I own all three, here's how I see it.

My Tikka Lite in 308 is a dream to shoot, superb trigger, very accurate with any load usually in the .3-.5 range, BUT I changed the stock and recoil pad so that brings the cost up.

The Sako finnlight in 260 is so pointable and fits great, it is accurate but more finicky with loads than the TIkka, and it was the most expensive.

The Montana in 260 is my favorite light rifle, the fit of the stock, overall weight and trigger are perfect for me. Accuracy is very good for a light hunting rifle averaging around .75 -1.0 moa with bullets in the 100-140 class.

If I had to do it over again and was presented with a choice I would not buy the Sako and buy another Tikka and great glass for it.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
I'm not familiar with the Sako, but I am with the Tikka & Montana. In my hands the Montana feels sweet. I also like the ADL style stock. Tikka.......I've knocked these rifles for years. Now it's time to eat crow! pass the salt please. The rifle fits me good and truth of the matter is it would be a consideration if I was shopping for a new rifle...especially if I saw one in 260 or 6.5x55.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
"I really dislike the scope mount options. It's just too limiting, and the Optilock system is massive and heavy."

Don't quite understand this comment; Sako OptiLock(ringmounts or 2 piece), Conetrol, Warne, Leupold ringmounts, Talley, S&K; seems like plenty of options to me. Have Leupold ringmounts on one M75; never moved in 10 years. My mount of choice for Sako and others is S&K; light and simple. Have Sako vintage mounts on others.
Posted By: Orchemo Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
I have a fee Sakos, a couple Tikkas but no Kimbers. Tikkas and Sakos shoot great. The Finnlights have a great feel as far as point ability and handiness

My 7mm-08 Finnlight is a little finicky but 140 Partitions shot well.

Would like Finnlight in 6.5 Swede !!!!!

My Tikkas all shoot well. I have a laminate and a couple wood stocks. But the Sakos are handier.
The Tikka comes with a Sako barrel...and it isn't lopped off at 20" like a lot of the Finnlights.

Just shot this with my T3 yesterday. This is quite common with this rifle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Montana's are a crap shoot.

Is that your personal experience?

A Montana is hundreds less than a Sako Finlite which has an ugly stock and in some Calibers only has 20 inch barrels.
As for at Tika, I detest rifles that only has one action length for all calibers. Pretty ugly too. I think I'd buy a Savage before I bought a Tika ( I'd buy a Tika from 30 years ago).

Love the Montanas.
Originally Posted by lovesomeshootin
smile

Sako if the funds are there. Tikka next and I'd never have a Kimber. It's 50/50 with those Montana's.

Personal experience with the Kimbers?
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
A salvage before a Tikka.Come on that's just nuts.

Sako hands down
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I have considered a Finnlite many times (actually owned one once for a few days) but I just can't get by a couple big (to me) problems:

For what it costs, the Finnlite should come with a quality stock.

I really dislike the scope mount options. It's just too limiting, and the Optilock system is massive and heavy.

The barrel lengths often seem not real good to me (22" in 25-06, or 20" in 260)

I agree with the stock and barrel comments. The mounts could be lighter.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
Originally Posted by AB2506

A Montana is hundreds less than a Sako Finlite which has an ugly stock and in some Calibers only has 20 inch barrels.
As for at Tika, I detest rifles that only has one action length for all calibers. Pretty ugly too. I think I'd buy a Savage before I bought a Tika ( I'd buy a Tika from 30 years ago).

Love the Montanas.

I don't think the new Finnlight stocks (old ones yes ) are uglier that the Montanas...just the opposite...I would never own a Kimber no matter how good they shoot anyways after my run in with their customer service. Not a company i would support...
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Sako hands down

My kids have them. Amazing how they grow on you. The Tikka leaves me cold. If you saw the previous rifles Tika made, the T3 shouldn't be. Allowed to carry the Tikka name. The T3 is Tikka's post 64 model 70. Just cheaper to make. Only saving grace is it's accuracy.
Salvage over Tikka, that is a laugh. Maybe if you like cleaning copper. Been there, done that.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Salvage over Tikka, that is a laugh. Maybe if you like cleaning copper. Been there, done that.

Didn't say I'd buy either personally, but if I did, good chance I'd buy the Savage.
YMMV.
Originally Posted by harv3589

Love the Montanas.

I don't think the new Finnlight stocks (old ones yes ) are uglier that the Montanas...just the opposite...I would never own a Kimber no matter how good they shoot anyways after my run in with their customer service. Not a company i would support...

+1. Deal with Kimbers customer service. Beretta is horrible and it's still better than kimber.

I have never seen so many happy guys when their Kimbers shoot 1 to 1.5 three shot groups. I know of a few that wouldn't shoot that good. That would pizz me off.

I have owned a pile of Sako's and the only one that was a problem child is the azz burning I took here in the classifieds. That gun would shoot good groups though it just didn't like to go off every time the trigger was pulled.

Dink
I don't think the new Finnlight stocks (old ones yes ) are uglier that the Montanas

I never said uglier (though I think they are).

They are just a rubber-encased Tupperware stock, like a Hogue.

Maybe not so much uglier.

Maybe it's just personal preference, but I can't like a rubber rifle.
Posted By: spence1875 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/23/13
AB2506 said "As for at Tika, I detest rifles that only has one action length for all calibers.". I guess he hates Pre - 64 Winchester 70s. They used a long action for all their short action calibers.

As to the question at hand. I have owned all. Multiples of Sako, 2 Tikkas. All were hammers. No issues. I have owned 3 Kimbers, 2 84s and 1 8400, as well as a buddy had a 708. Of those 1, a 308 montana was a hammer, all 3 others had problems and needed extensive tweeking to get to shoot.

Merry X-mas. Spence
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Sako hands down

My kids have them. Amazing how they grow on you. The Tikka leaves me cold. If you saw the previous rifles Tika made, the T3 shouldn't be. Allowed to carry the Tikka name. The T3 is Tikka's post 64 model 70. Just cheaper to make. Only saving grace is it's accuracy.

Isn't that the point?

P
Isn't that the point?

If that is all that is all that matters to you, you really have no appreciation for rifles at all.

Isn't that the point?

If that is all that is all that matters to you, you really have no appreciation for rifles at all.

You should try to get to know me better before you insult me.

P
Always get a laugh out of people that say "well its accurate, that's all that matters!"
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Always get a laugh out of people that say "well its accurate, that's all that matters!"

For me that is the no one criteria.

What good is a quality rifle that shoots three inches at 100?

Dink
Posted By: hntr1 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/24/13
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by harv3589

Love the Montanas.

+1. Deal with Kimbers customer service. Beretta is horrible and it's still better than kimber.

I have never seen so many happy guys when their Kimbers shoot 1 to 1.5 three shot groups. I know of a few that wouldn't shoot that good. That would pizz me off.

I have owned a pile of Sako's and the only one that was a problem child is the azz burning I took here in the classifieds. That gun would shoot good groups though it just didn't like to go off every time the trigger was pulled.

Dink

My Montana shoots 1" groups, but that's at 300 yards. And it is a real rifle not like one of those soulless sakos.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/24/13
Originally Posted by hntr1

My Montana shoots 1" groups, but that's at 300 yards. And it is a real rifle not like one of those soulless sakos.

Sakos, soul-less?????????????

[Linked Image]

au contraire mon frer..

[Linked Image]

maybe others, but not these,

they literally called to me before I even knew them.

They do my bidding with nary a complaint.

Best,

GWB
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/24/13
Isn't that the point?

Now THAT'S pretty damn hilarious given your screen name!!! laugh

To the OP, I'm sure you could be happy with any of those mentioned. I haven't had a SAKO but my my Tikkas are so damn good, I don't know if I'll ever build another custom or buy anything else (OK, maybe in a .243 cuz Tikka twists them too slow). Had a Kimber 84M in 7-08. Nice rifle. Had a few loads that would shoot sub MOA (it really like 160 AB) but I like the slightly heavier barrel and balance on the Tikka and it waaayyy out shoots the Kimber.

I'm thinking I "need" a Tikka Swede in the future...
I might add that if I ever went to a wood rifle again those SAKO Bavarians get me HARD! wink

As do Gdub's sticks...
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/24/13
Geedub has some sweet stuff for sure.
Originally Posted by geedubya

Sakos, soul-less?????????????

[Linked Image]

au contraire mon frer..

[Linked Image]

maybe others, but not these,

they literally called to me before I even knew them.

They do my bidding with nary a complaint.

Best,

GWB

That's some good looking hardware for sure.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/24/13
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Geedub has some sweet stuff for sure.

Yes he does.Always a joy to look at his rifles.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/24/13

Thank you sir.

I would postulate that the biggest limiting factor in regards to those rifles is the old fart behind the trigger. LOL

Best,

GWB
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/24/13
The Tikka comes with a Sako barrel...and it isn't lopped off at 20" like a lot of the Finnlights.

Just shot this with my T3 yesterday. This is quite common with this rifle.

[Linked Image]

dogcatcher,

I'm not real familiar with Tikka. Is it Tikka has uses a pin (for lack of a better term) mated with a hole in the stock as a recoil lug? And do they still use a synthetic insert at the rear of the action to support the bolt?

I am begining to see them show up a lot in my area, I know little about them.

GB
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/24/13
Originally Posted by MojoHand
I might add that if I ever went to a wood rifle again those SAKO Bavarians get me HARD! wink

That's pretty hilarious too, cause looking at your screen name, I'm sure it ain't the rifle giving you wood blush
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/24/13
Originally Posted by geedubya

Thank you sir.

I would postulate that the biggest limiting factor in regards to those rifles is the old fart behind the trigger. LOL

Best,

GWB

Gotta love those beautiful wood-stocked Sakos.

But the stock on the Finnlite just don't cut it.
Originally Posted by MojoHand

That's pretty hilarious too, cause looking at your screen name, I'm sure it ain't the rifle giving you wood blush

I believe you've just committed the logical fallcy of "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" laugh
Decision delayed till next week, due to pending family shindig and fact I dropped 2 bills to get a Pursuit Ultralight from Cabelas last night; tired of cleaning that .54 Hawken.

It did push the budget down towards Tikka. Need to check what they got in stock besides .308. Sure wish they had SS Lites in .260.
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

I'm not real familiar with Tikka. Is it Tikka has uses a pin (for lack of a better term) mated with a hole in the stock as a recoil lug? And do they still use a synthetic insert at the rear of the action to support the bolt?

The lug is a square plate that drops into the stock, and there is a matching slot cut into the bottom of the receiver. Odd design, but it works.

Not sure what you mean about the synthetic insert to support the bolt. The bolt looks like any other bolt, other than there is a plastic shroud on the very back, but it is just a dust cover and does nothing to support the bolt.

Got any pics of those groups?

I have seen a few factory rifles that could do it but they were few and very far between. Most were also chambered in varmint cartridges.

Dink
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/24/13
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

The lug is a square plate that drops into the stock, and there is a matching slot cut into the bottom of the receiver. Odd design, but it works.

Not sure what you mean about the synthetic insert to support the bolt. The bolt looks like any other bolt, other than there is a plastic shroud on the very back, but it is just a dust cover and does nothing to support the bolt.

That almost sounds like the design introduced on the Sako 75. Does the square plate bolt on the bottom of the action, or does it literally drop in the stock as you describe, and then mate to the slot in the action as the action screws are tightened?
Don't take pics of groups. Done it with a m70 270 too.

I kinda figured you didn't take pics.

Dink
Posted By: EricM Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/25/13
Originally Posted by RenoH414
I'd go Tikka and spend the rest on glass. Just my opinion though.

Reno

+1. This is what I did.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/25/13
But GW, those were the days when Sako & Tikka (separate companies then) made rifles with soul. With a nicer stock, I could buy a Finnlite, but I have no affinity for a T3. Just my opinion.
Eric,

Dang!

Federal blue box (now black & maroon) has long been the first factory load I try in most rifles, might have to give fusion a chance.

What kind of knob and shroud do you have on it?

Pretty sure they had a .243 and a 6.5x55, too.
Posted By: 243Win Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/25/13
You should only buy a rifle if it says Made in Finland!!
Posted By: EricM Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/25/13
Cold Case, that was the first group I shot with the rifle. Factory 95 gr Fusions.

The knob and bolt shroud are from Hinterland Shooting Supplies in Australia. You can buy them on ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Hinterland-Shooting-Supplies/Other-/_i.html?_fsub=1

Eric
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Eric,

Dang!

Federal blue box (now black & maroon) has long been the first factory load I try in most rifles, might have to give fusion a chance.

What kind of knob and shroud do you have on it?

Pretty sure they had a .243 and a 6.5x55, too.

Eric's a damn good shot. He shoots his pre 64 model 70, I sold him, the same way..
Posted By: hntr1 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/25/13

I kinda figured you didn't take pics.

Dink

Don't know why I would take pics. Don't know what i would do with them.

I have seen a few factory rifles that could do it but they were few and very far between. Most were also chambered in varmint cartridges.

Dink

+1 on that. I've seen very few rifles that would shoot that well. However, I've heard of far too many. One guy in particular said his Sako TRGS would shoot "1/2" groups at 300 yards". He was a competitieve trap shooter that liked talking chit, so I invited him to attend a centerfire shoot. He didn't fare all too well with that rifle, which was very surprising to me wink...Kinda like the guy that showed up in all military garb and said he was going to "shoot the X-ring out of the target". Ok, sounds interesting wink whistle..Carry on I guess...
Posted By: hntr1 Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/25/13
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Dink

+1 on that. I've seen very few rifles that would shoot that well. However, I've heard of far too many. One guy in particular said his Sako TRGS would shoot "1/2" groups at 300 yards". He was a competitieve trap shooter that liked talking chit, so I invited him to attend a centerfire shoot. He didn't fare all too well with that rifle, which was very surprising to me wink...Kinda like the guy that showed up in all military garb and said he was going to "shoot the X-ring out of the target". Ok, sounds interesting wink whistle..Carry on I guess...

Guess I'll have to start taking pictures so I can show them to guys I don't know that call me a liar on the internet. Anyways, the point is Montana's shoot well even though they've gotten a bad rap on here.

Posted By: atomchaser Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/25/13
The stock on the newer finnlights is pretty good. I dropped my finnlight into a Macmillan stock as I like a shorter LOP. It makes for a pricey rig, but I never regret it when I humping up the mountain or bring it up for a shot at game. It a very smooth, light and accurate rifle.
Posted By: BIGR Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/25/13
I have been seriously thinking about a Tika Lite in a stainless lefty version. The biggest decision I have to make is which caliber. I have plenty of right handed bolt guns in 30.06, 7mm, and 300 WIN. Mag. I was thinking about a 270 or a 308 for deer? Or do they make one in 260? Decisions, decisions?

It does not appear that Sako makes a stainless lefty so I guess that rule Sako out.

Dink

Guess I'll have to start taking pictures so I can show them to guys I don't know that call me a liar on the internet. Anyways, the point is Montana's shoot well even though they've gotten a bad rap on here.

I ordered another one. Figured I'd get myself a Christmas present after all.
Posted By: 79S Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/26/13
The tikka's are boring! Super accurate though... Best bang for the buck. I also like kimbers the one i had in a 325 was very accurate as well. I would get a kimber. Most people attribute bad accuracy of kimber due to bad qc but in reality people have a hard time getting light weight rifles to shoot breath the wrong way say good bye to your group
Which one did ya order, Bearstalker?

Dink

Well buddy... Hntr sent me pictures of the groups that he did it with model a 70 back in august for a sheep hunt and last yr the group from the kimber for his upcomig goat hunt. Not my pictures so i wont post them. But what is wrong with you guys just because a guy wont post pics you call them a liar...
For a rifle to average a inch group at 300 yards it should average .33 at 100. I am betting it would take a true .25 inch rifle to average a inch at 300 yards. A rifle may shoot a fluke group of a inch at 300 but they don't really count. The wiggles just all came together.

I have owned literally a hundred (or more) factory rifles. I also get play with all the rifles my buddies own. I have seen (not owned) 5 or 6 rifles that could average a inch at 300 yards in ideal conditions and only one was not in a varmint cartridge that I can remember (Remington BDL 300 win mag). I bet I have not seen a dozen full custom varmint weight (10-11lbs)rifles that would average a inch at 300.

I have seen a lot of rifles that under ideal conditions would shoot 1.5 to 2 inches at 300. But it takes a lot to average a inch at 300.

Dink

For a rifle to average a inch group at 300 yards it should average .33 at 100. I am betting it would take a true .25 inch rifle to average a inch at 300 yards. A rifle may shoot a fluke group of a inch at 300 but they don't really count. The wiggles just all came together.

I have owned literally a hundred (or more) factory rifles. I also get play with all the rifles my buddies own. I have seen (not owned) 5 or 6 rifles that could average a inch at 300 yards in ideal conditions and only one was not in a varmint cartridge that I can remember (Remington BDL 300 win mag). I bet I have not seen a dozen full custom varmint weight (10-11lbs)rifles that would average a inch at 300.

I have seen a lot of rifles that under ideal conditions would shoot 1.5 to 2 inches at 300. But it takes a lot to average a inch at 300.

Dink

Dink, I wouldn't waste my time. Those guys are from AK. Obviously trained by boxer/stick/lil fish, the all time greatest. whistle
Posted By: Tanner Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/26/13

Dink

No, it would not. That's incorrect.

Tanner
What should it average then?

Dink
Posted By: Tanner Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/26/13
It doesn't need to "average" anything. I've owned 2 7mm Rem Mags that agg'd around 3/4-1 Minute at 100 yards, but did considerably better than that at 400-900 yards. Whether it be bullet stability or any other factor, it ain't uncommon for things to shoot way better past pissing distances....

Tanner

Dink

Dink, I wouldn't waste my time. Those guys are from AK. Obviously trained by boxer/stick/lil fish, the all time greatest. whistle

Come on now the only groups i see you producing are 100yd groups please enlighten us knuckle dragging alaskans with you 're expert shooting ways.. I have plenty of targetsike yours. Attached my sad attempt at a 300yd group 270 with 140 hornady's

Attached picture image.jpg

Dink

Where do you get this from?
Originally Posted by Tanner
It doesn't need to "average" anything. I've owned 2 7mm Rem Mags that agg'd around 3/4-1 Minute at 100 yards, but did considerably better than that at 400-900 yards. Whether it be bullet stability or any other factor, it ain't uncommon for things to shoot way better past pissing distances....

Tanner

From what i read high bc bullets dont settle in until 300-400 yds.
To average 1 inch at 300 yards all your chit has to be together.

Most often the reason rifle shoot better at extended range is parallax. If you are punching one inch groups at 300 yards all other factors must be in check. A rifle that has everything in check will always shoot better groups at 100 than 300 IMO.

Dink
Originally Posted by 79S

Dink

Where do you get this from?

By burning lots of powder on the range.

Rifles that shoot .75 at 100 do not shoot 1 inch groups at 300.

Dink
Originally Posted by 79S

Tanner

What else have you read about?

Dink
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/26/13

Tanner

Seen this with some rifles.
In Driver's Ed I learnt the best way to get out a life-threatening slide is to steer into the direction your ass is skidding. grin

Here's my attempt:

Wondering if anybody got a Sako or Tikka from Santa? They're made in his stomping ground so thinking he might be extry generous. I was too late to get one on my list though.

Should I buy one soon, besides caliber tryna figure if I wanna keep it light w ol' M8 6x42 HD or chuffy but maux LR capable w a
Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm...
Posted By: woofer Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/26/13
Split it and roll a standard VX3 3.5x10 on the cheap and spin a turret if you want.

If I had $1500 and was buying something factory it damn well better have a nice piece of walnut or Kevlar etc....

Forbes 308 comes to mind. Montana first choice (Great fitting stock, SS, Flyweight). Another option is just roll your own. With your budget I could grab a SS donor, pick the exact barrel I want and chamber it in what I wanted twisted to what I want and stocked with what I want. JMO

W
The secondhand Sako is nowhere near that high and already have those scopes, Woofer.
Second hand Sako's can be bought well worth the money.

I just bought a used grey wolf for not much more than a new stainless Remington sps.

I have only been burnt once on a used Sako and that was by a member here.

Dink
Posted By: blargon Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/27/13
I've had 6 or 8 used Sako's. Never had an issue with any, and all would shoot as good as me.

I've only ever bought one new finnlight, and with the deals I have found, not sure I would buy new again. After flipping the stocks and scopes that came on them, I have 3 Sako 75s with McMillan stocks and Leupold scopes, for less than the price of a bare new one.
Posted By: woofer Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/27/13
Used Sako's bring good money here.... Like the 61. Hate heavy guns. Go figure....

W
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/27/13

Tanner

Had a .308 gasser that shot right around 5/8" at 200y consistently. It was actually closer to 1/2", but it would occasionally shoot 5/8" so I always considered it 5/8". At 100y, it never shot tighter no matter who was shooting it. Closer to 1".

I always assumed that the bullets were not as stable at 100y as 200y but have no way to prove or disprove it. Shooter? Rifle? Scope? Ammo? Have no idea, but the "system" did not shoot better at 100y.

Jason

Quivering at the edge of a T3 purchase.

Found out for sure a .260 SS Lite isn't available so now pondering 7/08, .243 (have dies, BBs, etc.) or moose-stomping 6.5x55... the .260 Rem Long.

There is a Forest .260 available but the woodstock is mighty bland...
Posted By: ScottyO Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/28/13
I just took the plunge n bought a new Tikka T3 Stainless Superlite in 30-06...Hope it shoots as good as others on the board.I'm putting a FX3 6x42 mattein Tally LWT Lows.Will snd range pics asap...ScottyO.
Posted By: papalondog Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/29/13
I have a Sako 75 stainless synthetic in 300 RUM. It shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards with the case of Remington factory 180 Gr. Nosler partitians that I'm glad I bought (No longer made), so I'm good for life for ammo. The problem with that rifle is that it weighs a ton with the scope. I recently purchased an 85 finnlight in 300 WSM. I shot just under a 4 inch group (3 shots) at 350 yards with Nosler Trophy Grade 180 gr. Can't ask for better with a ultra-light out of the box rifle. The barrel heats up quickly as can be expected so I only shoot 3 shot groups. I currently have an 85 finnlight on order in 270 WSM for the Mrs.
Originally Posted by ScottyO
I just took the plunge n bought a new Tikka T3 Stainless Superlite in 30-06...Hope it shoots as good as others on the board.I'm putting a FX3 6x42 mattein Tally LWT Lows.Will snd range pics asap...ScottyO.

There's a nice one in the classifieds right now. How much does a new stainless superlite cost these days? I like the looks of the fluted barrel and super light weight. Keep us posted on how that new 30-06 shoots.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/29/13
Quite the different price range between the aforementioned 3 rifles. I have owned a bunch of Tikkas and none of them let me down. I did log on to Buds Gun Shop the other day and a SS 25-06 T3 Lite was $589 delivered with no tax,, couldn't resist. It should be at my FFL on Thursday. That's $140 less than I can get one for locally when you figure in sales tax.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Tikkas V Sako V Montana - 12/29/13
Originally Posted by 79S

OMG

© 24hourcampfire