Home
DBM is popular on a lot of the custom bench rifles I see built in the past couple of years.

Where and how does DBM play a role for a hunting rifle? I do a good bit of deer hunting from elevated box stands, and trying to decide if building a rifle with DBM is worth the additional cost.

Has the DBM movement been more of a response to heavy/long bullets and traditional mag box/feeding constraints?

Learn me on this please smile
I hunt with a DBM rifle and have no problems with it.
I like the ease of loading/unloading.
I've never seen a need for DBM.
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Has the DBM movement been more of a response to heavy/long bullets and traditional mag box/feeding constraints?

Yes.
Thanks for the input. The M5 mags seem to be most popular for a Rem 700 actions. Anything else to look at?
I'd just as soon use a blind mag. But if a DBM is flush with the bottom of the rifle and works I don't care much either way.
Thanks for the input. The M5 mags seem to be most popular for a Rem 700 actions. Anything else to look at?

I like the flush or push button mag release.. Hate the pogo stick.

Battle arms development and seekins make nice units.
I agree Rancho. The flush or push button releases are nice. Like the ones you mentioned or the RAD TAC latch.

Will look at the ones you mention.
I think the rad and bad are the same units..
I've always looked at detachable mags as one more thing that can go wrong. Be it lost, dropped, forgotten, whatever. It's hard to misplace a blind mag box.

DBM is popular on a lot of the custom bench rifles I see built in the past couple of years.

Most dedicated bench rifles in my area are singleshot actions in 6ppc. smile

I always thought a blind mag would be a problem, but I don't even notice while hunting with my ULA. Three extra seconds to get the rounds out. Actually, it probably takes the same three seconds to get the rounds out of my 7STW 700 BDL and get the bottom metal closed again. I don't think DBM has any advantage except when you're driving your truck on a road and a bull elk runs across the road in front of you.
Single stack mag, feeds slicker than chit.

Originally Posted by wareagle
I've always looked at detachable mags as one more thing that can go wrong. Be it lost, dropped, forgotten, whatever.

Well, you could say the exact thing about your ammunition.
Thanks for all the input.

Are there and DBM mags that go smaller than the 5 rounders that stick down below the stock? Anyone make a 3?
I think DBMs are great for making loading and unloading your rifle easier and quicker.

At the end of the day you just press a button and all your magazine-held cartridges come out in a self-contained unit. You don't have to cycle each round through the action or fumble loose cartridges coming out of a hinged floorplate. I drop at least one round out of my model 70 just about every time but maybe I'm just a butterfingers.

As for the idea of it getting lost or falling out well I don't think those are likely to happen. A fully loaded mag falling to the ground should make quite a bit of noise and your gun will feel noticeably lighter in the off chance it were to just "fall out." I don't think anything is more likely to hit the magazine release button than the floorplate release on most guns like the model 70 that have the button in front of the trigger guard. I've never had my floorplate come loose so I don't see how a DBM would be more likely to have it happen to it really.

As for forgetting it I don't see why that would be an issue either. Leave the magazine in your hunting pack, no reason to take it out. Go as far as to always have a spare loaded mag in your pack even. In fact there's no reason to take the cartridges out of the magazine. There is a misconception that leaving magazines loaded will weaken the springs but that is just not true. Springs do not wear by being under tension, they wear by compressing/decompressing. So in fact continuously loading/unloading a magazine is worse for it than leaving it loaded. The only case where a spring will wear under compression is if it is compressed too far and this should not be an issue in a properly designed magazine.

I don't even own a DBM equipped rifle (besides an AR15) but I don't think that the arguments such as those I listed above are really valid in opposition of them.
Blind magazine for me too.
Well, the .280 Remington DBM BDL in my safe threw loaded rounds out the port when "chambering". That's with both factory mag and an extra bought from Ilion. Had to go Kwik Klip route to save my sanity. (Yes, I tried a 'smith along with bending lips, etc.)

It shoots well with my home done bedding job and reloads, even if the OAL is restricted, and not being able to load the mag from up top except one-at-a-time doesn't factor in. If three shots don't work...

Never on a DGR sez I. YMMV. You could go Badger Arms. H-S Precision, etc. for bottom metal but that's half a rifle.
I've always looked at detachable mags as one more thing that can go wrong. Be it lost, dropped, forgotten, whatever. It's hard to misplace a blind mag box.

I've heard the same thing said by others before. I think I even read it in an article written by a hunting rifle 'expert'. I would agree with the exception that I would never go hunting without a spare in my pack. I've never lost a mag to date, but realize it is possible (Murphy). I own blind magazine, floor plate and DM configurations. One could say that a floorplate latch can fail (under recoil or due to not being closed well) and lose all your rounds onto the ground. I've seen many in the bush with taped up floor plates on big rifles used for game that bites. I've never had an issue to date-- maybe because I am very careful to make sure the rifle performs before taking it afield and I make sure the floor plate is latched well.

My favorite is a blind mag. It saves weight and you don't have to worry about the scenarios above. Some will say that having to run live rounds through the action to unload is not safe. I would argue that you should always observe the first rule of gun safety.

YMMV
I would not want a DBM on a hunting rifle. But some designs you don't have a choice, like a Remington pump,if you use one of those.

On a bolt gun, no. Not for me.
Originally Posted by treefity

As for the idea of it getting lost or falling out well I don't think those are likely to happen. A fully loaded mag falling to the ground should make quite a bit of noise and your gun will feel noticeably lighter in the off chance it were to just "fall out." I don't think anything is more likely to hit the magazine release button than the floorplate release on most guns like the model 70 that have the button in front of the trigger guard. I've never had my floorplate come loose so I don't see how a DBM would be more likely to have it happen to it really.

I've seen mags fall out. I've seen a client lose his magazine on a hunt, then have to backtrack to try and find it. I've seen a guy leave his mag at camp, and have to hunt the day with an impromptu single shot. I've seen detachable magazines not fully seat and have a bolt override when a round was trying to be chambered.

Anytime you introduce one more piece of crap that can fall off your rifle, there's always a chance that it will fall out, possibly at a critical time.

Detachable mags don't belong on hunting rifles.
I see the unloading by cycling subject brought up, which brings up a question....Do you people unload your rifles every day? I understand if one lives in or hunts an area that would require an unloaded rifle when being transported...but otherwise, why?

My rifle magazines pretty much stay loaded unless they are flying commercial, unloaded through the shooting process, or taken apart for a bedding job or what have you.
I had a Sako with a DBM. On the first hunt with it the magazine malfunctioned every time I inserted it into the rifle by feeding all rounds into the action at once. It turned my 2 grand rifle into a single shot. I was so flustered by the end of the trip I traded it in immediately upon returning home and ordered a custom Mark Bansner rifle with a blind magazine and have never looked back.
I have more than a few rifles that have had their belly's loaded for years.
You have to be careful with DBM's, especially in bear country. You never know when a bear might sneak up on you and pop the mag out of your gun and then attack you.

I like them since I don't live in bear country. Nice to have a loaded extra mag in my pocket for a fast reload if things don't go my way.

Remmy 700's in .300 win mag, .280 Rem, .243 win fired hundreds of rounds and been carried all over 5 states with nary a hitch. Its a snap to unload and keep the mag in my fanny pack or back pack.

I like an easy to unload rifle with kids in the truck. They know better than to touch guns with out permission BUT they are still kids.

When its only me hunting, shells never leave the belly.
I never cared for DBMs and never owned one until my first Cooper Excaliber. It has a very flush fitting magazine and seems to have a good latch system. I kind of like the idea of having another loaded magazine ready in my pocket.
Blind magazine is my preference.
DBM's are just one more thing that can go wrong IMHO.

Dad gave me a Ruger American .30-06 and I'll hunt elk with it this year. Extra mags are $35 or thereabouts so I'll not be buying one. I will have a second rifle, though.

I tend to think so. In addition, with the single stack (like Rancho mentioned) they aren't a bad idea for getting the WSM's in particular to feed more reliably. (or any other chambering for that matter)

They're only my bag in the 7600's. And only because there isn't an alternative. smile
Maybe I have had the misfortune to have had a number of idiots for guests and/or hunting partners over the years. However, I have seen enough ways for DBM rifles to end up being used as single shots that I shy away from them. If the loaded magazine hits the ground, you do hear them. Where I hunt, that usually means that the feed lips have been bent or that you have to make a few adjustments with a rock in order to reinsert them.

I have seen them left at home, in camp, in the pickup, jeep or ATV/UTV, in the daypack that was carried yesterday, in a buddy's coat pocket, and (probably) in a bar in Montana. I don't begrudge anyone who chooses to use them, but I choose not to.
No...period ended as it's just one more thing to lose.
I'll pass and them also. I do just fine without them.
I would rather not have one for all the previously stated reasons.
DBM is just the same as BDL bottom metal to me.. Except the cartridges come out in a nifty holder instead of separately when you hit the latch.

Not an issue for me..
I have a mix of all them and like all 3 styles. Didn't think I would care for the DM system till I put together a 7 WSM on a worked over Rem S/A this summer with Seekins BM. Can't say anything bad about it and have come to like it. Like Rancho said it feeds the WSM cases like greased owl schit out of the single stack mag.

Think Prairie Goat is spot on to them becoming more popular because of the long, high BC bullets and the constraints of factory mag well lengths. If I was building something that would benefit from from the DM system for those reasons, I wouldn't hesitate to use another one on a hunting rifle.

I'm really OCD on attention to detail when it comes to any of my hunting schit. The issue of a left behind mag or a mag that has fallen out hasn't been an issue yet...... But I'm not as old and forgetful as some may be here........ grin
Originally Posted by joshf303
Think Prairie Goat is spot on to them becoming more popular because of the long, high BC bullets and the constraints of factory mag well lengths.

Are you saying that using a DBM will yield longer useable magazine length for a rifle with a regular box (no spacer)?
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
DBM is just the same as BDL bottom metal to me.. Except the cartridges come out in a nifty holder instead of separately when you hit the latch.

Not an issue for me..

Not quite the same for me. If bottom metal opens or DBM falls out, a chambered shell (if any) is all that is left in the gun. The difference is it is easy to forget or lose a DBM whereas the bottom metal flapping about sticks out like a sore thumb, is still attached to the rifle and allows the situation to be easily rectified.

Not the case with a DBM that is on the ground somewhere between where you stand and the truck a couple miles back or maybe back at camp or ...
You have to hit the latch with both. They don't magically fall out on their own..

This is sorta sounding like the CRF arguments, IMO..
You have to hit the latch with both. They don't magically fall out on their own..

That is true, but once the DBM is out it can easily be left behind - not so with the floorplate. A DBM can also come out unnoticed and then be lost. An unlatched floorplate is pretty hard to miss and easily rectified.

Can't speak for all DBM's but the one on my Ruger American and SIL's Savage come out much easier than tripping the latch on any of my floorplates.

Not that it makes all that much difference to me. As noted above, I plan to hunt with the Ruger American this fall. If I thought the chances of DBM problems costing me a shot opportunity were high the American would stay home. I do think, though, they are significantly higher than with my floorplate rifles, which is one reason why I'll take a backup (as I always do anyway).

Worst case is I'd end up with a single-shot rifle. Not much different than my #1 in that respect.
It is pretty handy. Get in the truck, take it out and sit it on the dash or in the consol. Leave it there the entire deer season and beyond. Use the rifle, put in the rifle.

I like them. It isn't a must have item, but a handy one if you have it.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Think Prairie Goat is spot on to them becoming more popular because of the long, high BC bullets and the constraints of factory mag well lengths.

Are you saying that using a DBM will yield longer useable magazine length for a rifle with a regular box (no spacer)?

In regards to the popularity of the AICS and similar type mag boxes, yes.

Also, the tacticool look is in, which is no doubt contributing to their popularity.

The difference being the issues with DBMs happen often enough to be a real concern.
That being said, the RAD latch systems and the like are a decent setup if a guy chooses to go DBM. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any flush fit mags to fit this system, which makes it tough on a hunting rifle.
I'm not aware of any flush fit mags to fit this system, which makes it tough on a hunting rifle.

Thanks for the info.

I've never held a 5 round mag to see how big of deal it is to have that extending below the rifle.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Hmm. Kind of counter-intuitive to think that a well-constructed mag box fitted to the action could be bested in OAL by one that is designed to slide in and out. Seems like the DBM would lose some OAL just by virtue of the fact that it's designed to do what it does.
One thing to consider though - AISC DBMs require the removal of the "nub" at the back of the mag box recess in the bottom of remington actions. This is what permits a longer COAL. In similar vein, a Wyatts extended mag box requires the same modification to achieve similar COAL latitude in BDL format
AISC DBMs require the removal of the "nub" at the back of the mag box recess in the bottom of remington actions

Great info. Thanks for making me aware. Didn't know this.
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
One thing to consider though - AISC DBMs require the removal of the "nub" at the back of the mag box recess in the bottom of remington actions. This is what permits a longer COAL. In similar vein, a Wyatts extended mag box requires the same modification to achieve similar COAL latitude in BDL format

Not quite..

[Linked Image]

I'll take an aics dbm over a wyatt's any day.
Yup, thanks. That's why it wasn't registering, I don't own any 700's.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Also, the tacticool look is in, which is no doubt contributing to their popularity.

The difference being the issues with DBMs happen often enough to be a real concern.

I've never seen the pf vs. Crf problem personally, but I will admit to dumping cartridges on the ground. blush

Haven't dropped the mag yet!
If it can be lost by God I can lose it. For the ammo example, yes I have went off to camp and forgot it before. Now mag box stays loaded with empty chamber until I'm ready.
The feller asked for our opinion, not to try and debunk everyone else's.
Bottom line, if you like Em great have at it. If you don't, so be it.
Seems like this place is getting more bitched up everyday. The man asked a question, simply answer if you want and move on. WTF are so many here now feel the need to argue their reasoning is better.
Hell one time I drove all the way to central Wyoming and didnt realize I left my rifle at home till I was unpacking..Just imagine how well I could lose a magazine smile
Improvise and overcome.
If it can be lost by God I can lose it. For the ammo example, yes I have went off to camp and forgot it before. Now mag box stays loaded with empty chamber until I'm ready.
The feller asked for our opinion, not to try and debunk everyone else's.
Bottom line, if you like Em great have at it. If you don't, so be it.
Seems like this place is getting more bitched up everyday. The man asked a question, simply answer if you want and move on. WTF are so many here now feel the need to argue their reasoning is better.

WTF is arguing? Let Travis know who it is and he will ban them for life.
I have two such rifles in my collection, one is a Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional in 7 x 57 had it since 1976 no issues what so ever, still have the two magazines that came with the rifle. The other is a Sako 75 SS in 338. At the time I bought the rifle, I bought two extra magazines incase I should loose one, never happened. I had that rifle since 1996 or so. Lots of hunters shoot the likes of 760/7600's and various semi autos and Browning Lever Actions, they all use DBM. It comes down to personal choice and taste I guess, I would not discount a rifle just because of one.
I have rifles in about all types of mags except blind. I prefer the trap door mag with out detach. I find it easy to unload . I put the rounds in a soft carry case that I keep in my bag or coat pocket. Nothing to forget or lose. Next I favor my Browning that has a detachable mag that clips into the trap door. I keep a spare mag in my gear bag that goes with me where ever I go after I forgot it once.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I would not want a DBM on a hunting rifle. But some designs you don't have a choice, like a Remington pump,if you use one of those.

On a bolt gun, no. Not for me.

exactly how I feel about it. On my 7600's it's the only way the come. I'm not a fan on bolt rifle.
My Beretta Mato has a detachable magazine that is removed using the same movement that you would use to open a detachable floorplate. I works very well.
I've a goodly smattering of DBM's,of different type. Firstly,like all things,they ain't equal. That being said,I've never released one,when I didn't want to...but I do tend to make the changes requisite,to suit my needs and improve retention.

If I'm gonna DBM,it's typically to eek more COAL.

Just got a Ruger Polymer Scout mag in yesterday's Mail,as I was curious in it's regards to COAL. It replicates a typical 700 box,so will go into the burn barrel,but I wanted to see for myself.(grin)

I'm purty hip on Atlas,wearing a much shortened release latch and a stiffer spring.

Hint.

I've hunted with detachables, hinged floorplates, blind mags, and the side-opening Krag. If you want a Tikka, you're getting a detachable. I have not had any problems with detachables. I can't "forget" it, because it's almost always in the rifle except for loading/unloading. It is easier to load/unload than a blind mag and a little easier than a himged floorplate rifle.
I don't mind detachable mags, if you forget one, you probably will forgot the ammo
The night before the hunt I get my gear ready. I put extra ammo in my pack, and put a couple spare mags in my coat pockets. Fogetting a magazine is no different than forgetting anything else. Either you are prepared or you are not.
© 24hourcampfire