Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It is pretty handy. Get in the truck, take it out and sit it on the dash or in the consol. Leave it there the entire deer season and beyond. Use the rifle, put in the rifle.

I like them. It isn't a must have item, but a handy one if you have it.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by joshf303
Think Prairie Goat is spot on to them becoming more popular because of the long, high BC bullets and the constraints of factory mag well lengths.

Are you saying that using a DBM will yield longer useable magazine length for a rifle with a regular box (no spacer)?

In regards to the popularity of the AICS and similar type mag boxes, yes.

Also, the tacticool look is in, which is no doubt contributing to their popularity.

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

This is sorta sounding like the CRF arguments, IMO..

The difference being the issues with DBMs happen often enough to be a real concern.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That being said, the RAD latch systems and the like are a decent setup if a guy chooses to go DBM. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any flush fit mags to fit this system, which makes it tough on a hunting rifle.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'm not aware of any flush fit mags to fit this system, which makes it tough on a hunting rifle.

Thanks for the info.

I've never held a 5 round mag to see how big of deal it is to have that extending below the rifle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Are you saying that using a DBM will yield longer useable magazine length for a rifle with a regular box (no spacer)?

Hmm. Kind of counter-intuitive to think that a well-constructed mag box fitted to the action could be bested in OAL by one that is designed to slide in and out. Seems like the DBM would lose some OAL just by virtue of the fact that it's designed to do what it does.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One thing to consider though - AISC DBMs require the removal of the "nub" at the back of the mag box recess in the bottom of remington actions. This is what permits a longer COAL. In similar vein, a Wyatts extended mag box requires the same modification to achieve similar COAL latitude in BDL format

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
AISC DBMs require the removal of the "nub" at the back of the mag box recess in the bottom of remington actions

Great info. Thanks for making me aware. Didn't know this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
One thing to consider though - AISC DBMs require the removal of the "nub" at the back of the mag box recess in the bottom of remington actions. This is what permits a longer COAL. In similar vein, a Wyatts extended mag box requires the same modification to achieve similar COAL latitude in BDL format

Not quite..

[Linked Image]

I'll take an aics dbm over a wyatt's any day.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup, thanks. That's why it wasn't registering, I don't own any 700's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by joshf303
Think Prairie Goat is spot on to them becoming more popular because of the long, high BC bullets and the constraints of factory mag well lengths.

Also, the tacticool look is in, which is no doubt contributing to their popularity.

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

This is sorta sounding like the CRF arguments, IMO..

The difference being the issues with DBMs happen often enough to be a real concern.

I've never seen the pf vs. Crf problem personally, but I will admit to dumping cartridges on the ground. blush

Haven't dropped the mag yet!

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If it can be lost by God I can lose it. For the ammo example, yes I have went off to camp and forgot it before. Now mag box stays loaded with empty chamber until I'm ready.
The feller asked for our opinion, not to try and debunk everyone else's.
Bottom line, if you like Em great have at it. If you don't, so be it.
Seems like this place is getting more bitched up everyday. The man asked a question, simply answer if you want and move on. WTF are so many here now feel the need to argue their reasoning is better.

WarDamnEagle
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hell one time I drove all the way to central Wyoming and didnt realize I left my rifle at home till I was unpacking..Just imagine how well I could lose a magazine smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Improvise and overcome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wareagle
If it can be lost by God I can lose it. For the ammo example, yes I have went off to camp and forgot it before. Now mag box stays loaded with empty chamber until I'm ready.
The feller asked for our opinion, not to try and debunk everyone else's.
Bottom line, if you like Em great have at it. If you don't, so be it.
Seems like this place is getting more bitched up everyday. The man asked a question, simply answer if you want and move on. WTF are so many here now feel the need to argue their reasoning is better.

WTF is arguing? Let Travis know who it is and he will ban them for life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two such rifles in my collection, one is a Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional in 7 x 57 had it since 1976 no issues what so ever, still have the two magazines that came with the rifle. The other is a Sako 75 SS in 338. At the time I bought the rifle, I bought two extra magazines incase I should loose one, never happened. I had that rifle since 1996 or so. Lots of hunters shoot the likes of 760/7600's and various semi autos and Browning Lever Actions, they all use DBM. It comes down to personal choice and taste I guess, I would not discount a rifle just because of one.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have rifles in about all types of mags except blind. I prefer the trap door mag with out detach. I find it easy to unload . I put the rounds in a soft carry case that I keep in my bag or coat pocket. Nothing to forget or lose. Next I favor my Browning that has a detachable mag that clips into the trap door. I keep a spare mag in my gear bag that goes with me where ever I go after I forgot it once.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I would not want a DBM on a hunting rifle. But some designs you don't have a choice, like a Remington pump,if you use one of those.

On a bolt gun, no. Not for me.

exactly how I feel about it. On my 7600's it's the only way the come. I'm not a fan on bolt rifle.

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My Beretta Mato has a detachable magazine that is removed using the same movement that you would use to open a detachable floorplate. I works very well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've a goodly smattering of DBM's,of different type. Firstly,like all things,they ain't equal. That being said,I've never released one,when I didn't want to...but I do tend to make the changes requisite,to suit my needs and improve retention.

If I'm gonna DBM,it's typically to eek more COAL.

Just got a Ruger Polymer Scout mag in yesterday's Mail,as I was curious in it's regards to COAL. It replicates a typical 700 box,so will go into the burn barrel,but I wanted to see for myself.(grin)

I'm purty hip on Atlas,wearing a much shortened release latch and a stiffer spring.

Hint.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've hunted with detachables, hinged floorplates, blind mags, and the side-opening Krag. If you want a Tikka, you're getting a detachable. I have not had any problems with detachables. I can't "forget" it, because it's almost always in the rifle except for loading/unloading. It is easier to load/unload than a blind mag and a little easier than a himged floorplate rifle.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1OntarioJim, 222ND, 1badf350, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,906
Posts18,518,578
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.