Home
These are not reviewed often here, so thought others might find a range report on a new Montana Rifle Company XWR-SS in 308 Win of interest. This one has a 24" barrel with 1:10" twist. Mag length is 3.125" and capacity is 5 + 1. Everything is stainless, other than the mag spring, which may or may not be, not sure about that. The rifle alone weighs 7 pounds, 2 ounces. The stock is a B&C Medalist, which is bedded at the factory.

It has controlled round feed, a three position safety on the bolt, and a copy of the Win M70 pre-64 trigger as I understand it.

The final price including shipping to my FFL and his transfer fees out the door was $1120.

On the first trip, I mounted a proven scope, a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 that I always use on new rifles to remove that variable. This was put atop a pic rail. I decided to try some new NF Ultralight rings to help shave some weight off, which saves 12 ounces compared to NF steel rings (16 oz. vs. 4 oz). These rings turned out to be an issue on the first outing.

The first outing, I went through one box, 20 shots, of Black Hills 175 Sierra Match Kings. The groupings were erratic; running 8 or 9 inches at 200 yards. This is the second Montana Rifle Company rifle I have purchased, the other being a 260, which consistently cuts clover leafs straight out of the box. So, I called it a day to reassess.

When I put in on the bench, I pulled the rings off to double check the pic rail and rings. The pic rail still was nice and tight, but on closer examination, the scope showed some scuffing from forward and rear movement. This was the first time I have ever tried the NF ultralights, which are aluminum. The inside finish is very smooth, so apparently it was allowing movement. So, I put some two sided scotch tape inside of the rings, which would provide a sticky surface, as well as acting as a very thin gasket to allow for better mating of the surfaces and more even compression. This turned out to fix everything.

This is the two-sided tape gasket:

[Linked Image]

This afternoon, I took it out, bore sighted, and these were the first two shots:

[Linked Image]

Made a quick correction and went to the next dot target, and these were the next three shots at 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

Bottom line - this rifle is built extremely solidly of all stainless parts with a synthetic stock, and no plastic parts. It comes bedded, and shoots fantastic right out of the box. The 260 shoots as well as this one. So, Montana Rifle Company delivered two excellent rifles in a row, requiring no work, and ready to go hunt. Feeding has been flawless. All testing was done loading the mag full and cycling all rounds from the mag.

The rifles are very comfortable, and very easy to shoot well. This 308 replaced a Kimber Montana, which shot great as well, but I find the MRC much easier to shoot well, and much tamer recoil wise, thus, making it much more pleasant to shoot too.

Based on these two, I like them a lot, and would recommend them.

Here is a field shot of the 260 XWR-SS (22" barrel with 3.125" mag box) with a smaller NF up top.

[Linked Image]
Never seen one or heard about it. Looks dang good though! What is the weight on it? How are they on customer service ect. Who carries the brand or do you have to order from them direct?
6 pounds, 14 ounces for the 260 with a 22" barrel, and 7 pounds, 2 ounces for the 308 with a 24" barrel.

I ordered it off gun broker. They list dealers on their website also.

My only interaction with their customer service has been to inquire about rings (post-64 Win M70 Classic) and who made a pic rail for the rifles (Farrell), which they answered promptly and pleasantly. I sent them some positive feedback on the 260 with some photos after I took it hunting, and they replied and copied the owner of the company. They seem like they are very responsive and actually care about sending out a quality product that works right out of the box, which seems too uncommon these days.

Here is a group from the 260 with 120 Barnes TTSX. The one to the right was another dot that fell off.

[Linked Image]
Nice, I found their website. Not bad at all and for a decent priced for what you get if they shoot like your 2 examples!
Jeffbird,

Is this the same stock that comes on the Winchester EWs?

Thanks,

John
John,

I am not sure, but both say they use Bell & Carlson with aluminum bedding blocks, so it sounds likely.

Thanks for the review. I remember reading posts in the past where some were not happy with this rifle. I have been tempted to get one.
Nice review and pictures. Thanks for posting.

GRF
My 308 Norma Mag shoots like that too. It lives in a McMillan though.

I had a 358 Norma as well, but I couldnt shoot it as well. More me than the gun I think.

Originally Posted by barm
Thanks for the review. I remember reading posts in the past where some were not happy with this rifle. I have been tempted to get one.

Scopes, rings, bases, ammo, and shooter are often the root of a problem, and the rifle is blamed instead. Note my 308 was shooting 8" - 9" groups at 200 on the first outing. A penny's worth of some scotch tape in the rings turned it into a 1/2 MOA rifle. Based on my experience with these two, I am happy and would recommend them.

Thanks for the feedback. Everyone is welcome.

Here is a side view of the 260.

[Linked Image]
Fine shooting irons... Congrats!
They're nice rifles! I've owned a couple and was impressed with both. They shoot extremely well straight out of the box.....throated nicely too. The mag box allows lots of flexibility.

There rifles are what the new Model 70's want to be. They use the old M70 trigger too.

Is the bolt handle welded on, or forged/cast as one-piece?

How are they for gas handling? What's the strategy to handle escaping gas?
The mag box is 3.125" in a SA? Man imagine how sick that thing would be with a 1-8" twist 243.
Who makes their barrels?
Great review. I have been looking at an MRC for another rifle in the future as well. Thank you for the information. Looks like an excellent rifle and really costs about the same as an EW...
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great review. I have been looking at an MRC for another rifle in the future as well. Thank you for the information. Looks like an excellent rifle and really costs about the same as an EW...

Sort of what I was thinking and they twist their .243 1-9 which means it should sling A-Max's rather nicely. 1-8 wouldn't have hurt my feelings though - particularly with the mag space they have for nice long bullets.
I see on the Montana Rifle Co web site the info on the actions as per gas handling which uses Mauser and Mod 70 features.
I am thinking the same as Woodson!! One in a 243 or 260 would be pretty hard to beat!

Reno
Thanks for the review ordered the same rifle in left hand 260 rem, it will take a few months to come in they are going to make there stocks in house but in the mean time I have a left hand 22-250 in there ASR coming , should be here in a week or two.
Originally Posted by WildWest
I see on the Montana Rifle Co web site the info on the actions as per gas handling which uses Mauser and Mod 70 features.

Years ago, when Montana Rifle announced they were going to produce actions, there was a group buy right here on the Fire (if memory serves me). At that time Pine Tree Casting (I think that is the name) were producing their actions. This is the subsidiary that cast the Ruger 77. At that time, it was described as a Ruger action built to Montana Rifle specs. I don't know it that is the case now.
Originally Posted by saj
Thanks for the review ordered the same rifle in left hand 260 rem, it will take a few months to come in they are going to make there stocks in house but in the mean time I have a left hand 22-250 in there ASR coming , should be here in a week or two.

do you order through a dealer or direct from MRC?
I'm shooting an ASR in 7x57. It'll shoot, that's for sure.
Originally Posted by woodson
Who makes their barrels?

They produce their own barrels.

Great now I want another rifle.
Thanks for the write up, good looking rifles. Been thinking I need a good accurate 308 so you just stuck them on my radar. I was thinking maybe a Kimber Montana but prefer for a rifle to be a little heavier. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Where is the balance point with the 24" barrel.

Have you tried any handloads in it? Curious if you can kiss the lands with several different bullets and that long magazine.

What did you get for an average group size and did you try any other loads?

Thanks.

Dave.
Originally Posted by 28lx

Great now I want another rifle.

Happy to help. grin

Dave,

I did not measure the groups, but a quick eyeing of it looks to be within 1/2 MOA and the penny is there for size reference.

For handloads, which were used on the second outing in the photos posted:

Black Hills brass, set the shoulder back 0.0015"
175 SMK
43.5 Varget
F210
COAL 2.810"
Works well in every 308 I've tried it and it is what I use for hunting. Never tried any other loads for the 308 as this one is very reliable and five different rifles all have liked it.

I am out for several days, but will post some photos of the bolt and shroud to respond to the gas question. Don't know about the bolt handle. It appears to be solid, but I will ask and report back.

Glad eveyone found it helpful. The rifle runs so nicely out of the box, it is a real joy. I'll post a progress report after it has more rounds through it.

For those of you interested, the CZ Model 3 was made by MRC. There are still some of those floating around occasionally. They can usually be had a little cheaper too.
jeffbird,

Those are surely some nice rifles. Seems like I have a hard time warming up to anything other than blued/walnut for my own use, but I surely understand the attraction of a synthetic stainless set-up.

I don't have any major rifle ambitions, currently, but when the day comes these will be on my mind...

Thanks for the cool thread...
Double D I ordered through a dealer and the 22-250 is blue and walnut
They do make nice rifles... A few years ago I bought a stainless one off GunBroker for less than the price of the action. Seller bought a 22" stainless .350 Remington Magnum barreled action from MRC and had his smith put it in a B&C stock. He killed one black bear with it and decided he wanted to try a .358 Norma Mag. instead so was selling this one.

But with the longer magazine box one can load the bullets out so that they take up no powder room in the case body. 200s run 2900 and 250s 2700+..that is all the recoil I can use...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...shoots less than MOA which is good enough for what I am going to shoot with it...

Bob
Originally Posted by RJM
They do make nice rifles... A few years ago I bought a stainless one off GunBroker for less than the price of the action. Seller bought a 22" stainless .350 Remington Magnum barreled action from MRC and had his smith put it in a B&C stock. He killed one black bear with it and decided he wanted to try a .358 Norma Mag. instead so was selling this one.

But with the longer magazine box one can load the bullets out so that they take up no powder room in the case body. 200s run 2900 and 250s 2700+..that is all the recoil I can use...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...shoots less than MOA which is good enough for what I am going to shoot with it...

Bob

Very nice rifle. I've had my eye on the XWR SS for awhile now. They look like great rifles. I have no problem with the investment cast receivers either: Been shooting and loving Ruger's for many years now.
Originally Posted by jeffbird
These are not reviewed often here, so thought others might find a range report on a new Montana Rifle Company XWR-SS in 308 Win of interest. This one has a 24" barrel with 1:10" twist. Mag length is 3.125" and capacity is 5 + 1. Everything is stainless, other than the mag spring, which may or may not be, not sure about that. The rifle alone weighs 7 pounds, 2 ounces. The stock is a B&C Medalist, which is bedded at the factory.

It has controlled round feed, a three position safety on the bolt, and a copy of the Win M70 pre-64 trigger as I understand it.

The final price including shipping to my FFL and his transfer fees out the door was $1120.

On the first trip, I mounted a proven scope, a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 that I always use on new rifles to remove that variable. This was put atop a pic rail. I decided to try some new NF Ultralight rings to help shave some weight off, which saves 12 ounces compared to NF steel rings (16 oz. vs. 4 oz). These rings turned out to be an issue on the first outing.

The first outing, I went through one box, 20 shots, of Black Hills 175 Sierra Match Kings. The groupings were erratic; running 8 or 9 inches at 200 yards. This is the second Montana Rifle Company rifle I have purchased, the other being a 260, which consistently cuts clover leafs straight out of the box. So, I called it a day to reassess.

When I put in on the bench, I pulled the rings off to double check the pic rail and rings. The pic rail still was nice and tight, but on closer examination, the scope showed some scuffing from forward and rear movement. This was the first time I have ever tried the NF ultralights, which are aluminum. The inside finish is very smooth, so apparently it was allowing movement. So, I put some two sided scotch tape inside of the rings, which would provide a sticky surface, as well as acting as a very thin gasket to allow for better mating of the surfaces and more even compression. This turned out to fix everything.

This is the two-sided tape gasket:

[Linked Image]

This afternoon, I took it out, bore sighted, and these were the first two shots:

[Linked Image]

Made a quick correction and went to the next dot target, and these were the next three shots at 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

Bottom line - this rifle is built extremely solidly of all stainless parts with a synthetic stock, and no plastic parts. It comes bedded, and shoots fantastic right out of the box. The 260 shoots as well as this one. So, Montana Rifle Company delivered two excellent rifles in a row, requiring no work, and ready to go hunt. Feeding has been flawless. All testing was done loading the mag full and cycling all rounds from the mag.

The rifles are very comfortable, and very easy to shoot well. This 308 replaced a Kimber Montana, which shot great as well, but I find the MRC much easier to shoot well, and much tamer recoil wise, thus, making it much more pleasant to shoot too.

Based on these two, I like them a lot, and would recommend them.

Here is a field shot of the 260 XWR-SS (22" barrel with 3.125" mag box) with a smaller NF up top.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the write-up. I'd buy one of those (in something other than 308 win, of course), just to run it around the block. Looks like a great rifle...
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

Bob

That looks darn near like a perfect hunting rifle for my criteria right there. That is one thing I don't like about my remington in 350 mag, is the short magazine length.
Received a reply to my inquiry - the bolt and handle are one piece.
Not sure if it was mentioned but they are no longer using B&C stocks. They are making their own stocks in house.
Originally Posted by STS45
Not sure if it was mentioned but they are no longer using B&C stocks. They are making their own stocks in house.

That makes them even better. B&C feel like holding onto a 2x4, to me anyways.
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

Bob

That looks darn near like a perfect hunting rifle for my criteria right there. That is one thing I don't like about my remington in 350 mag, is the short magazine length.

This one ready to pull the trigger is 9# even. With the extra velocity (as in recoil) I don't complain. The Model 7KS I have is 7# even ready to go and I just use the the Speer 220 FP as it is perfect for the magazine.

One of the posters here has a MRC custom build in .350 RM that as I recall weighed less than 8#...

Bob

That makes them even better. B&C feel like holding onto a 2x4, to me anyways.

Definitely a step in the right direction.
Shot them an email to see if they'd deviate from what's listed and they replied they would be happy to. Inquired about a .243 with a little more twist or a 6.5 Creedmoor - yes to both.
Wow. That is a serious contender if they're willing to go fast twist on various chamberings. I wonder what their "house" made stock looks like?
Good grief, any 7mm flavor you could want.
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

Bob

This one ready to pull the trigger is 9# even. With the extra velocity (as in recoil) I don't complain. The Model 7KS I have is 7# even ready to go and I just use the the Speer 220 FP as it is perfect for the magazine.

One of the posters here has a MRC custom build in .350 RM that as I recall weighed less than 8#...

Bob

I run the Sierra 225 in my model 700, fits in there nicely. I had some 225 Nosler Accubonds left over from a 358 Norma but they were WAY to long for the little Remington action.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Good grief, any 7mm flavor you could want.

There cartridge list is quite extensive for sure. If a guy was wanting a 26 Nosler the MRC would be a nice way to go as well.
I sent them an email as well asking about a 22 inch barrel on a 7mm08 instead of the 24 . Fast response ,they said no problem they will cut and re crown for $65. Seems fair to me. Not sure if I can talk myself into the 260 rem with the 22. I dont reload at this time.
This is really good news, especially for us lefties.
22" is where I was thinking I might like a 308, I'm still curious about the barrel contour and the balance point.

Dave.

Where did you get this info. Their website says it is B&C on the XWR-SS. If it is their own I wonder what the weight is?

Dave.
Dave,

The balance point will vary with the weight distribution of the weight of the optics, rings, and bases. The rifle balances nicely and is easy to handle from field positions.

The contour is a light sporter weight.

Dave, they sent me some info today. It said B&C on the sheet but it was crossed out. I sent another email requesting more info on the stock.
Originally Posted by dave284

Where did you get this info. Their website says it is B&C on the XWR-SS. If it is their own I wonder what the weight is?

Dave.

I called them directly today and asked them.
Please post up when you have the stock info. I think I may have just found my next rifle..
Thanks for the info guys.

Jeff, I understand the optics and other components will change the balance point. Curious where it is with that heavy N.F. and trying to imagine where it may be with something lighter and/or a 2" shorter barrel.

Boar, I'd love to see what they send you on the new stock.

Thanks again.

Dave.
Dave if you PM me With your email I will send you what they sent me yesterday. PDFs that are a Price sheet, rifle spec sheet, info on mounts and rings.
This rifle, assuming they're willing to customize twists rates, seems like a no brainer. All SS construction, 3.125" mag box, #2 contour(perfect IMO), 3 position safety, fast twist availability and reasonably priced? Where is the down side guys? Seems like a damn fine package.
That stock they use could screw it up and defeat the purpose if it "needs" to be restocked.
Blind mag option wouldn't be bad. If a SA could go 7# done, things could get dicey....
McSwirly option wouldn't be shabby either.
fwiw - the stocks are very comfortable to me. For comparison, they are a bit thicker through the grip than the Kimber Montana, but thinner and with a straighter grip than a McMillan M40A1/HTG, and way thinner than an A-5. I also run Accuracy Internationals, but they are a whole different animal. I've not tried a McM Edge, so cannot compare it to that.

The texture is nicely done, comfortable in cold weather, and with a bit more "grip" to it than the Kimber Montana stock. The rifle has substantially less recoil than the Kimber Montana comparing 308 to 308 with identical loads.

I've broken wood stocks, but have yet to ever break a fiberglass handle of any make listed above. Guess I'm not as "hard charging" as some, but have wandered a few miles now and then through the brush, taken a ride a time or two down a rocky slope, and hunted a B&C in Saskatchewan in -25F which rode in a plastic carrier on an ATV down miles of old logging roads for reference.

Give the one it is supplied with a try. Seems nicely done, unless one is looking for an ultralight. They do offer another rifle model that is lighter overall on the website, as well as wood and blue for those that want to go that route. This review was just the set-up I I prefer, and which are working well for me.

The one thing I am still fiddling with is finding the right combination of rings, base, and scope.

The Farrel pic rail is milled thicker than necessary, thus causing the scopes to sit too high even with low rings.

The Talley lightweights just do not seem durable enough for me, and I prefer to avoid something failing in the field.

Could you post some more overall pics of the rifle?
Blind mag option wouldn't be bad. If a SA could go 7# done, things could get dicey....
I think their High Country series would get you there, but it comes with a bit larger price tag. The SAs are listed at 6# 2oz.
Jeff...the .350 above came with the Tally rings that in the picture. I usually switch out for a Weaver style base and Low to Medium rings depending on the scope....but these worked perfectly so I left them alone..

A thick rail can be a major pain as it takes up vertical scope height that could be used for higher rings for the objective to clear the base...

What kind of top end power do you need/want on the scope? My two favorites for ranges under 300 are the Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 or 2.5-8. For longer ranges the Nightforce 2.5-10, Shepherd 3.5-10, Leupold 3.5-10 or 4.5-14...

The .350 has a 2.5-8 Leupold.

Bob
jeffbird,

What scope mounts do they take, M70?

And thanks for the review.

Jason
4th point, answer i got was yes m70 post 64 classic . I also have a detailed list of recommended mounts and rings i got from MRC . If you want it pm me your email and i will send it to you.
Great, PM on the way.

Jason
Here's some good info for you guys. I'm a fan of the rifle and we sell several. I listed the MSRP sheet at the bottom. For comparison of real world prices, we sell the XWR-SS for a tad over $1000.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
From MRC today:
"We are making our XWR stocks in house and no longer using B&C stocks. They no longer have a cheek piece and are made with carbon fiber and Kevlar with a matte black finish with grey spider webbing."

Good to know they will no longer have a B&C 2x4 attached. Actually I think the B&C are a good stock, the wrist is just way to thick for my liking.
I'd be interested to know how the wrist on their new stocks compares with the B&C. I also wonder if they're still using aluminum bedding blocks, or if they're moving away from that...
We got a couple in today and they still had the B&C stock. I've not seen the new stock yet....
Them Montana Rifle SOB's know how to make a barrel that'll shoot, that's a fact. I just hope their move to Huntsville doesn't work out like Marlin's move to NC for quality.
Completely different entities....

MRC still makes their own barrels for their rifles in house. They sold the barrel company that mass produced barrels. There has been some confusion there.

Freedom Group has nothing to do with Montana Rifle Company or the barrels Montana Rifle Company uses on their rifles.
p.m. sent.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Completely different entities....

MRC still makes their own barrels for their rifles in house. They sold the barrel company that mass produced barrels. There has been some confusion there.

Freedom Group has nothing to do with Montana Rifle Company or the barrels Montana Rifle Company uses on their rifles.

Thanks for the info. So MRC is still a Kalispell MT company?
Yes sir!
Here's some good info for you guys. I'm a fan of the rifle and we sell several. I listed the MSRP sheet at the bottom. For comparison of real world prices, we sell the XWR-SS for a tad over $1000.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for posting this. I gotta save my pennies for a spell then I'll be giving you a call for a 7x57 grin
From MRC today:
"We are making our XWR stocks in house and no longer using B&C stocks. They no longer have a cheek piece and are made with carbon fiber and Kevlar with a matte black finish with grey spider webbing."

Good to know they will no longer have a B&C 2x4 attached. Actually I think the B&C are a good stock, the wrist is just way to thick for my liking.

Good info BigSwede.

New stock sounds promising except for the spider-jjizz. Rattle can would take care of that quick.

I've been thinking about an MRC on/off for awhile but am not a fan of the BC if its like the M70 EW.
One thing I forgot to ask when I called them was if their barreled actions would fit stocks made for a Winchester, such as a McMillian.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks good. Thanks for posting...
Tag you bastards.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Tag you bastards.

P

"ENABLING" bastards you mean.... laugh
This thread will cost me money: I'm getting a 7x57 later this year for sure. Was going to build on a pre-64, but I think I'll save that action for something else. It's currently a .270 and I'm working on wearing the barrel out grin
Oregon45,

It might cost me some money as well. I'm a tried and true Remington man, but this rifle has me weak in the knees. I may have to save up and give one a try. Just gotta decide on caliber, one I already load for or a whole new endeavor.

Wonder how much weight the new stock will shave off? A few ounces maybe?
The missing link is some pics and info on their house made stock. If it's built like a railroad tie this isn't worth it. Figure if the stock doesn't "work" and requires replacement then you would be back to what a custom tubed Faux Ti would price out at.
With that generous mag box, one of these in 260, assuming the new stock fits, would be sweet!
The Colorado Buck edition sans brake is interesting.
Just got an email from MRC, the new stock is approximately 8 oz lighter than the B&C. No pictures or specs, as of yet though.
Just got an email from MRC, the new stock is approximately 8 oz lighter than the B&C. No pictures or specs, as of yet though.
I will be excited to see what it looks like. Just for myself its a critical componant at that price point. Mmmm. Or not?LOL.
I just got an email too:)

"The new stocks are about 6 oz lighter than the previous stocks and they are both aluminum pillar bedded and Glass Bedded. Typicall wait time right now is about 4-6 weeks.
Je
ff"

Either way, it sounds like a better deal. I might have to get me one!
Outstanding. I could see myself getting a fast twist 22-250 from them.
Are these actions a drop-in fit to a Winchester stock? Or mostly drop-in anyway?
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Are these actions a drop-in fit to a Winchester stock? Or mostly drop-in anyway?

The action is very close; main difference is depth of the inlet as the Montana is a bit thicker than the M70 in places. Likely have to open the magazine box inlet for the short action as well.
Bigswede, I've always been a Rem fan also. As far as bolt action centerfires, I haven't owned anything else in years. The new stock being 6-8 oz lighter, the long magbox, and the fact that they will cut the barrel to 22" from the factory, my new position and resulting raise starting at midnight and the fact that the piggy bank is only a couple hundred short may all add up to one of these in the not to far future. At least if a smoking deal on something like a 308 LVFS doesn't jump in the way. grin

Dave.
Originally Posted by dave284
Bigswede, I've always been a Rem fan also. As far as bolt action centerfires, I haven't owned anything else in years. The new stock being 6-8 oz lighter, the long magbox, and the fact that they will cut the barrel to 22" from the factory, my new position and resulting raise starting at midnight and the fact that the piggy bank is only a couple hundred short may all add up to one of these in the not to far future. At least if a smoking deal on something like a 308 LVFS doesn't jump in the way. grin

Dave.

What caliber on you going to go with?
Will somebody please say that these rifles are crap? You guys are messing with my New Years Resolutions. Next thing they'll start fluting the barrels.

Sheesh...
Not to hijack the thread... BUT.... How do these rifles compare to the Nosler Patriot??
Will somebody please say that these rifles are crap? You guys are messing with my New Years Resolutions. Next thing they'll start fluting the barrels.

Sheesh...

Will they shoot better with a fluted barrel? I think the cool factor would go up a notch or two if they did flute the barrel... wink. Just sayin..
Been hankerin for a 308 about that weight. A fluted barrel would push me over the edge. Might ask them about it when I'm ready to take the plunge. Course I'm wanting a 7-08 also but thinking that will be either a new tube one one of the 243 donors I've got sitting here or a Montana.

Dave.

Got this in a couple of months ago. SS/SA Mag boltface.
[Linked Image]
Very nice rifles with a fair price tag, but a LA version with a 12-14 oz scope is going to be an 8.5+ lb rifle & that takes most of the luster off for me.

Got plenty of 8.5 lb rifles & enough of the ones that are under 7 lb or so to know which ones I strongly prefer to tote around.

MM
I'm betting it won't be long before they offer something with a lightweight theme. 7# done is where I like to be.
Do they shoot better than a Tikka?

P

Sheesh...

Don't you mean Rifleutions? I can certainly see one of those in .260 Rem landing in my safe in 2015....
Here is my 308 Norma Mag in a McMillan. I had them build it with their #3 contour, 26", back when they were still one company. It aint light. But it sure does shoot good. Its knocked off about 10 'lopes.

[Linked Image]
Awesome rifle there. I've always wanted to get a 308 Norman mag. I don't understand the "it ain't light" comment though. How much does it weigh? I'm thinking a 7 3/4 pound 308 Norma would be about all the 300 magnum I'd want to shoot. My 338 win mag is a hair under 8 pounds "all up" and it's light enough for a reasonably sane person. How heavy is your 308 NM?
I can really like in in 35 Whelen - sans irons tho.
A 9.3x62 would be nice, but I don't see it on their chambering list.
Does anyone know if the new stock that is 6-8 oz lighter going to increase the price? I love to hear from somebody who handled a new stock.

The weights list posted by SAS are with the B&C stocks, correct? So most rifles might be almost a half pound lighter?

MRC looks like they really want to do things right. The list of cartridges is quite impressive also. I thought I didn't need another rifle, but these look very nice for the price.

Very informative thread guys, thanks to all for supplying the info.
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Here is my 308 Norma Mag in a McMillan. I had them build it with their #3 contour, 26", back when they were still one company. It aint light. But it sure does shoot good. Its knocked off about 10 'lopes.

[Linked Image]

Very nice rifle & magnums shouldn't be too light, IMO, so it's probably just right.

But I use all non-belted standard rounds except the for the 338 & larger, so I like a rifle 7 lb 4 oz tops, unless I just want to carry something else for a change.

MM
I have never put it on a scale, but its the heaviest rifle I own. I would guess that it ways close to 9 pounds without the bipod and sling.

The weight doesnt bother me, someone mentioned a lightweight MRC, which is kind of an oxymoron.
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I think they will make you anything you want if you ask. I inquired about a 350 rem mag, they said no problem. I probably wont get one, was just curious.
someone mentioned a lightweight MRC, which is kind of an oxymoron.

I think that's about right.........

MM
How so?
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
someone mentioned a lightweight MRC, which is kind of an oxymoron.

I think that's about right.........

MM
Though they carry a bigger price tag, the High Country Series are listed at 6#2oz for shorties and 6#7oz for the longs. IIRC the different names in this series only refer to different color combinations of the stock and ceracote. That said, I think that's pretty light. I think a lightish one could be built cheaper than the $3500 they are asking for that series.

Make mine a left handed 9.3x62mm XWR-SS and I think I'd be in hog heaven!!!! So now, what is the stock they are using exactly????? I just sent them an email...
I talked to them on the phone this morning to see if there was a dealer anywhere near me with a rifle to hold and look at, unfortunately there is not. I will have to go to Kalispell if I want to hold one, which sucks. Its about 3 or 4 hours away in good weather.

They did mention that they make the XWR in left hand.
I talked to them on the phone this morning to see if there was a dealer anywhere near me with a rifle to hold and look at, unfortunately there is not. I will have to go to Kalispell if I want to hold one, which sucks. Its about 3 or 4 hours away in good weather.

They did mention that they make the XWR in left hand.

Their website says "in the near future"... bigswede, hold one for me too. 3 or 4 hours drive isn't too far grin You said you were going to go to Post Falls anyway. Might as well make a long day out of it... grin
The "Near Future" must be now. Its a white out blizzard here today, not in the mood for that kind of road trip.
Send some of that snow my way. Damn....
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Send some of that snow my way. Damn....

I'll see how much I can get in a Medium Flat rate Box, I must warn you though, contents may settle during shipping.
Here is the photo of the new stock that they just sent me. I'll be at SHOT Show here in a few weeks and will go check them out in person. If they will let me I'll take a bunch of pics.

[Linked Image]
Oh a freeking lefty. I like it!!! Stock looks grippy enough eek grin. Kind of like my stock paint jobs blush. Aside from the Winchester EW handling like a 2x4, it's a slic SOB too. Not my cup o tea... Had one and hated it. Put it in a Mcmillan hunters compact edge and a chit load world of difference.. The stock pictured looks more like a Bansner, but they say it is a carbon B&C. I'm hoping they let you take a bunch of pictures. Let us know how they feel in person too.
So the new stock is BC or they sent you a new BC?

I confusing....
Here is the photo of the new stock that they just sent me. I'll be at SHOT Show here in a few weeks and will go check them out in person. If they will let me I'll take a bunch of pics.

[Linked Image]

I will also check it out during SHOT show as well. Nice to know they haven't overlooked us lefties!
So the new stock is BC or they sent you a new BC?

I confusing....

This is what I'm going off of. It says they are using a B&C "carbon fiber" stock. However, someone here said they were making their own stocks in house. STS45 posted a picture of the "new" stock:

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=180
Sorry guys, typing fast. This is merely just a picture that was sent to me by Montana Rifle. It is supposed to be their new stock that they told me is being made in house, by them.

They are no longer using B&C stocks.

"Yes,
We do our own now, they have a straight comb, no cheek piece.
Black with a grey spec in it.
Thanks,

Sincerely,
Larry"

This is what Larry Craven the sales manager sent me when I asked if they are no longer using B&C stocks.

Hopefully these stocks are pretty good, hard to tell in photo although it looks a little thick in the grip for my tastes. Who knows though.

[Linked Image]

That would be much appreciated if you could give us a rundown on what you think of the stock. Looking forward to hearing about the new stocks.

Thanks STS
Larry sounds like a very nice guy. Here is his prompt response to my email regarding the left handed XWR-SS 9.3x62mm I inquired about:

Hi Lawrence,

Happy New Year and thank you for your interest in Montana Rifle Company!

Yes, we sure can, that would go through the custom shop and the cost would be $1968.37 plus shipping.

Thanks and let me know if we can get one of these great rifles started for you.

Sincerely,

Larry

Larry Craven

Sales Manager

Montana Firearms Group Like us on Facebook

3178 MT Hwy 35

Kalispell, Montana 59901

(406) 756-4867 Ext 206 (Office)

(406) 756-4874 (FAX)

www.montanarifleco.com

[email protected]
That's some piss poor customer service. "Yes, we sure can"? Seriously?

The correct answer is:

We are not able to fulfill your request at this time. Due to time constraints and overhead, it is not possible to create anything other than what our accounting staff will allow and what Wal-Mart will buy. That particular chambering is unproven and we would be unable to test it due to the lack of available ammunition. Further, we have already decided that left-handed shooters only comprise a small "niche" market that we are not interested in pursuing. Your best remedy is to purchase our fabulous right handed 30-06 and learn to shoot it. This isn't Burger King. However, if your purchase in the next 30 days, we will include a coupon for one (1) Happy Meal at the McDonalds of your choosing.

Happy Holidays.
Ha ha. Thanks for the laugh... Good one.... laugh
I am lusting after an MRC in 7x57. Even after shooting my pre-64 .270 this afternoon...
In response to the request for more pictures, here are some of a few different subjects.

First, in response to the request about gas handling.

A bolt shroud acts a gas deflector, a blast shield if you will, and there are noticeable differences.

Top to bottom for comparison taken from the underside, Accuracy International, Remington 700, Kimber Montana. The Kimber moved on down to the road, so it is not available to include in the same photo with the Montana Rifle Company bolt.

Shaving weight has to shave something, and the bolt shroud on the Kimber definitely is the smallest by a noticeable margin.

Also note the difference in the firing pin size.

[Linked Image]

Just guessing that the "S" marking means "Stainless."

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The Winchester M 70 and Mauser deflect gas into to the left raceway. Here is a Win M70 with the bolt positioned as if in closed position. Note the left raceway side, as the MRC makes an important improvement.

[Linked Image]

The Montana Rifle Company adds a gas barrier and deflector, which blocks the left raceway, and deflects the gas into the left gas escape port.

[Linked Image]

Here is the block positioned as if it is cocked with the bolt in closed position:

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/alb...-a05f-177465913db4_zpsa3d1e7c8.jpg[/img]

A gas escape port near the chamber is critical of course. Oddly, not all rifles have them, which is surprising, so check for that first. The MRC has two.

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/alb...-9193-f941fb1a74ea_zpsaa1163c3.jpg[/img]

R700 for comparison:

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/alb...-ab87-715bb1204bda_zps44e7b873.jpg[/img]
More to follow in a few minutes.
Some other general photos.

[Linked Image]

The left raceway is shallower than the Remington 700, so the shells do not roll off into the left raceway. Also, the MRC uses a solid, milled mag follower compared to the stamped sheet metal of the R700.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/alb...-a7ac-b6e57e1c17d9_zpsc98c6ccf.jpg[/img]

Stocks are next.
Stock grip measurements for comparison, since there was some interest in the grip thickness.

R700 ADL Wood Stock by MRC (B&C)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Underside of grip:

[Linked Image]

Rem 700 ADL Wood - 1.386"

[Linked Image]

MRC (B&C) 1.397"

[Linked Image]

Pre-64 Supergrade & MRC

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/alb...-977e-e7842c2655d3_zps3059aa4c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/alb...-9985-bc9e408e317c_zps993ee898.jpg[/img]
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I am lusting after an MRC in 7x57. Even after shooting my pre-64 .270 this afternoon...

Quit your lusting. Buy a 257 Roberts, use it and if you don't like it, sell it to me... laugh
Jeffbird,

Amazing posts, thank you!

Don't feel bad. My 270 is disheartening too. I don't like taking it out anymore, especially when I'm shooting my 30-06. blush. Great pictures jeffbird. Thanks for posting.
You're welcome.

Couple more - firing pin removal from MRC is done by depressing the button on the bolt shroud. Easy to do with finger pressure.

[Linked Image]

Firing pin removal tools for the R700 - boot laces and a dime. Works, but is a bit of a hassle. Hard to understand why they have never figured out a better answer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Look forward to the review. See if they would let you carry it around for a few hours. grin
I'm starting to hate this thread.
Jeffbird,

Thanks for taking so much time and effort into getting all of those pictures and information for us.
Jeffbird,

Thanks for taking so much time and effort into getting all of those pictures and information for us.

+1. Great info.
I'm starting to hate this thread.

Are you going to have to take a drive to Kalispell too? laugh
jeffbird,

Thanks for the pics.

I'm curious if the bolt body has transverse holes... if so, which direction do they point when the bolt it closed? Down and into mag, or into the left raceway?

That left-side add-on baffle looks very similar to the Winchester.

Jason
Jeffbird,

+1

I may have to sell a few rifles and get one of these; excellent!
Damn......now I am thinking I may need more than one of these

Jeffbird......thanks for taking the time for that
Originally Posted by efw

I may have to sell a few rifles and get one of these; excellent!

This could quite possibly become a common practice.
Is the bottom metal steel? Could it be swapped out for a ptg alloy replacement? If so, and if the new stock saves 6-8 ounces you might save 10-12 ounces off the weights listed above, right?
Never mind, just realized that the longer mag box probably won't work with other bottom metal...
Everyone is very welcome.

While the MRC is obviously a reincarnated inspiration of the pre-64 M70, answering the questions and taking the photos has made me notice details that previously were unnoticed differences between the two and other rifles as well. So, this has been an interesting and informative exercise for me as well.

Jason's question made me notice another difference again illustrating the difference in the gas handling changes.

So those of you thinking this thread has cost you money, make room for me, as my safe is going to be rearranged as well as the MRC's bump out a few others.

I'm curious if the bolt body has transverse holes... if so, which direction do they point when the bolt it closed? Down and into mag, or into the left raceway?

That left-side add-on baffle looks very similar to the Winchester.

Jason,

I only have a pre-64 M70, having sold my more current vintage years ago. If someone has some photos of the bolts of the current M70 and Kimber Montana, those might be of interest.

Are these the holes to which you refer? They are at the 9 o'clock position on the pre-64 M70 i.e. they empty into the left raceway.

[Linked Image]

Here is the MRC - much larger, and they empty into the 6 o'clock position with the bolt closed.

[Linked Image]
Do the MRC long and short actions have the same exact guard screw spacing as the Winchester post64 actions?
Larry also confirmed that the new stock is the same as the Colorado Buck edition rifle on their site, although colored black with grey specks. Anyway, there are a few more pics on thir website of the stock for those interested.
I have been looking at an MRC recently, they seem very easy to work with and will twist your tube in anything available and also cut your barrel to any length you'd want as well. Larry has been very helpful and the extra charge for that stuff just barely puts it above the price of an EW..

They are also pretty friendly to active military as well.
Good info right there. We might get all the info on this rifle peiced together yet. This has been a good group effort and really great information gathered. I would still like hear from anyone who gets to handle one with the new stock as my choice has come down to that.
If they will do a standard XWR-SS in 35 Whelen I'll be ordering one!

Take a look at the Extreme Vantage. It's pretty much the same thing.

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=182
Originally Posted by RevMike

Take a look at the Extreme Vantage. It's pretty much the same thing.

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=182

I saw that. I just don't want or need open sights.
I expect they can put one together without them. I've found MRC pretty easy to deal with.
will twist your tube in anything available

Might want to check with them on that. I wanted them to build me the CBE in 264WM with an 8 twist. They said 264WM was no problem, but it would be a 9 twist. I decided to build instead.

Seem like nice folks.

loder
Fantastic thread jeffbird, thanks for posting it.

Have to say a LH XWR in 264 Win Mag would be super nice to have, I contacted them to suggest they use a faster twist instead of the 1 in 9 but in reality it would work for the vast majority of 264 diameter bullets.
I have been looking at an MRC recently, they seem very easy to work with and will twist your tube in anything available and also cut your barrel to any length you'd want as well. Larry has been very helpful and the extra charge for that stuff just barely puts it above the price of an EW..

They are also pretty friendly to active military as well.

I like the looks of the new MRC stock too. It's much more slender than the chunky B&C the EW uses. The MRC also comes in a left hand version which is excellent for those of us in our right minds... grin
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Fantastic thread jeffbird, thanks for posting it.

Have to say a LH XWR in 264 Win Mag would be super nice to have, I contacted them to suggest they use a faster twist instead of the 1 in 9 but in reality it would work for the vast majority of 264 diameter bullets.

Larry Craven got back to me quickly, changing the twist would require a trip through the custom shop and would cost $1968.37 plus shipping. With the new stock he said weight would be 7 lbs 2 oz which isn't bad.

I would definitely prefer a 1 in 8 twist on a 264 WM but it does sound like the Winchester 1 in 9 264's shoot all but the most sleek 140's well.
I think this thread has cost me some money. Was just browsing their website and ran across the "Colorado Buck" Special Edition. Now I have no idea who Colorado Buck is and I don't want his name on my gun but I would love to have one set up just like that, without the muzzle brake in 9.3x62. Maybe with some decent open sights.
Like the many who have posted prior, this thread is killing me....I gotta move a couple rifles now....
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm waiting to see what some of their customs look like (wood and blue).
Received two questions, which I still needed to answer:

1. What does the barreled action weigh? Answer right at 5# +/- a few ounces between the 260 (22" barrel) and 308 (24" barrel), which includes the stainless mag box, but does not include the bottom metal. The stock and bottom metal weigh right at 2# together.

2. What is the balance point? Here is the 308 (24") balancing on a single end of a cleaning cradle.

[Linked Image]

Here are some more photos, since it was disassembled to answer the first question. Everything appears to be stainless steel except the mag spring.

[Linked Image]

Sturdy bottom metal.

[Linked Image]

Stout recoil lug, integral with the receiver.

[Linked Image]

The mag box itself is very sturdy.

[Linked Image]

The 260 stock had been opened up considerably for a nice free float fit.

[Linked Image]

Bedding in the tang.

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/jeffbird2/IMG_1165_zps2c9ad008.jpg[/img]
Aluminum bedding block running the length of the receiver. Both action screws go through the bedding block.

[Linked Image]

Bedding in the recoil lug and just forward.

[Linked Image]

Bedding under the bottom metal - forward. What appears as white is really reflection of light off the surface.

[Linked Image]

Bedding under the bottom metal - rear.

[Linked Image]

Close up of the trigger.

[Linked Image]
The crown.

[Linked Image]

Hard to imagine what other questions can remain, but happy to answer them if I can.

The only negative so far has been the Farrell pic rail, which is Farrell's issue, not MRC's. It sticks the scope up too high for my tastes, and even in low rings, the NF x56 sits too high. Also, it does not fit particularly well. Another balance shot for Dave with the big scope.

[Linked Image]

Here is the 260 ready to go to the range for some more load work, back wearing the NF 5.5-22x56 in low Talley lightweights. Need to order some mediums for this scope. The Talley lows work well for the 2.5-10x42.

[Linked Image]
Thanks jbird. That pic of the balance point is exactly what I wanted to see.

Now to get one with the lighter stock and about a 20 or 21" barrel in .308, mount maybe a Leupie 6 x 42 in maybe Talley lights, should finish up around 7 1/2lb give or take. Should be just about what I want.

Thoughts?

Dave.
Dave, glad that answered your question. Sorry it took so long. Finally catching up on loading and rifle stuff.

22" is about as short as I like in 308, or most others for that matter. Any shorter than that and muzzle blast becomes unpleasant, at least to me. The 260 with the 22" barrel really feels nice in hand. I used it in our brush this year, and it was a very handy length.

This rifle has a very solid build and feel, which I like. I am happy with it as is, and much prefer it to the Kimber Montana it replaced, which was just above 6# all up. Pick the scope you like. Fixed scopes do not do much for me and I've been through a handful through the years. If I were to go hauling up mountains, the NF 2.5-10x42 with MOAR would be riding up top.

MRC shows a lighter rifle on their website called the Colorado Buck. I have no idea who he is. No weight is given, but the rifle looks like it should be lighter. It has a Kevlar stock and #2 contour barrel for some rounds, and #5 for others. (There is no contour # given for the XWR's, so not sure where it falls.) Shaving the bottom metal, mag box, and here and there on the receiver could lighten things some more too. List price is $1850.

Then they have a custom shop, which probably could shave everything to just about whatever your back and wallet can bear. smile

These will be seeing more range time this year. They really feel nice in hand, and are pleasant to shoot. I'll put up a range report now and then as they have more rounds down them.
So I stopped by their booth at SHOT. Of course my phone was dead. Checked out the new stock. Initial impression was that I liked it. It is nowhere near as chunky as the B&C stocks. It was very thin in grip area. The stock felt much slimmer than what I am used to when it comes to a B&C stock. They did confirm that they make their own stocks in house. The finish was black with a grey speckle, and it is very grippy, not smooth at all. Felt great in the hand. While no McMillian, it had a rock solid feel with zero flex. Definitely one of the better factory stocks I saw today. Afterwards I went straight to the Weatherby booth and checked out their rifles with the B&C stocks. They felt and looks horrible, like big blocky 2x4's. It was amazing how bad the Montana Rifles made the Weatherby's seem, we all agreed.

I really, really liked the Colorado Buck edition and actually met the man himself. Super cool guy. It is basically the same as the XWR with the exception on a different stock color and cerakote on the barrel. I confirmed that you can in fact get it without a muzzle break. The whole package with a Leupold 4.5x14 CDS with Talleys is pretty nice, and not a bad price at all.

If they shoot as good as they look, I don't know why someone would by a current Winchester for basically the same price.
Thanks for the update.
Great update , bummer about the phone being dead. Im looking forward to seeing more pics of the stock but your comments about it having a thinner grip are encouraging to me. Thanks Boarmaster.
Thanks for the update.
Did they give the official weight of the XWR-SS with the new stock? From what was listed on here it is somewhere around 6 to 8 oz lighter.

And yes, thanks for the update.

Dave.
I'll get back and take some pics. They told me 8 ounces lighter on the stock than with the B&C. Again, very nice rifles, almost seem to be sleeper rifles. I mentioned that to them and they smiled and said that the word seems to be getting out, and quickly. I'll probably get one before they realize they need to jack up their prices.
FYI -- they committed to doing exclusives for us today.....and I didn't forget you lefty's.

More to come later....
Hope you guys talk them into putting faster twists on the 6.5's and 270's, bullets aren't getting any shorter these days. The average guy won't care but there are a lot of folks they will miss selling a gun too because they are a gun nut and will want to shoot high b.c. bullets. Seems like a no brainer for them to increase sales.
I handled the lefty long action version today at SHOT as well. Initial impressions were the the stock is better than in the pics that they have. The guys were very knowledgable and helpful. They did tell me the owner is a fellow lefty and committed to producing lefty actions/rifles. I did think that the long action I held was very heavy, so I might opt to just buy the action and build. Still, a GREAT option and excellent rifle.
FYI -- they committed to doing exclusives for us today.....and I didn't forget you lefty's.

More to come later....
You are trying to get me to raid my LH'd sons college fund aren't you?? wink laugh
Please get a firm quote from them on a lefty stainess xwr 2 in say 270. Thanks.
Any pictures of the new stock set up? 260 might just tickle my fancy....
Agreed more pics and more info about the SAS exclusive. If an 8 twist 260 is available I'm as good as sold.
Sorry guys, haven't had a chance to get back there. SHOT show is HUGE. It is hard to put into words who gigantic the SHOW is. Two full floors plus a third for meetings. It takes up ALL of the Sands Convention center. Simply massive. You can't see everything in four days if you tried, and I have been busy in meetings and classes. Will try to get back there.

Here are some pics of the new catalog I got from their booth.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/new-rifle-montana-rifles-company-x2?src=SOC&dom=fb
Thanks! I feel a lighter wallet in my future...now the conondrum of what to sell...
Looks like there are a few new versions available on gunbroker. Do a search for Montana X2. 30-06, 25-06 and 7 mag. Cmon one of you long action guys, take one for the team!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464476781
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
Looks like there are a few new versions available on gunbroker. Do a search for Montana X2. 30-06, 25-06 and 7 mag. Cmon one of you long action guys, take one for the team!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464476781

I really like the looks of that stock.
I think they completely crapped the bed with that stock.
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Totally agree... that stock is an abortion.

Wish they'd made "Fire" larger on the bolt shroud as well... and it's an investment cast receiver ala Ruger, albeit cleaned up better.

Still, there's much there to like too as this thread has amply pointed out.
The deep flute at the comb is a little different, but other than that I don't see anything too unusual.

It would be nice to handle one and see what that feels like.

And I think the Fire --> marking is driven by product liability, so guys don't shoot themselves in the shoulder grin
I like the stock. It looks sufficiently different from other manufacturers offerings. Certainly better than the bell and carlsons most are using. I'll be ordering an X2 in .243 real soon!
Totally. Kinda disappointing...
Kinda like seeing a picture of a suit and saying it won't fit.
Kinda like seeing a picture of a suit and saying it won't fit.

Not at all... it's like looking at a picture of a suit and saying "THAT'S UGLY!"
I don't need to try on a '70s leisure suit to know I won't like it. Excellent fit or not. wink

Some may like the new stock. That's great. I hope MRC sells buckets of them and prospers. They aren't for me though...
What don't you like about it?
Originally Posted by JasonH
I like the stock. It looks sufficiently different from other manufacturers offerings. Certainly better than the bell and carlsons most are using. I'll be ordering an X2 in .243 real soon!

+1
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This falls in one of the categories, "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand."

Granted, it's strictly an aesthetic thing (nothing to do with function). But to those of us that prefer classic stock lines, it is indeed, as Wrongside Rightly points out, the equivalent of a Leisure Suit.

Gentlemen, I give you the Leisure Suit Stock replete with bell-bottom cutout:

[Linked Image]

I'll take it over the BC abortion, but couldn't comment on the bell bottoms until I tried it on.

I'll take it over the BC abortion, but couldn't comment on the bell bottoms until I tried it on.

In spite of its obvious flaws, I'd rate the B&C's seemingly straighter, higher comb as better.

As to "trying on bell bottoms" to know whether you like them or not... you either like them or don't. They're an aesthetic choice, not a functional choice. Trying them on doesn't enter in to it.
Brad,

That appears to be a functional design item to allow the abductor/flexor muscles below the thumb to come to a more rearward alignment behind the the trigger finger.

A similar design is found on the Anschutz stocks and McMillan A5 as just a couple of examples.

The thumbholes such as on the Accuracy International are the next step beyond this trying to bring the hand more behind the trigger finger.

Many find that such a hand position improves consistency in keeping trigger pull in a straight line to the rear.

They do appear to offer "classic" hunting stock designs also.

It is ugly, no question. Especially for the type of action it sits around. I hope the comb height was set up correctly, but it looks like there is enough drop to be bothersome. I saw this picture a few days ago and had a friend going to SHOT. I emailed him and asked for his opinion when he got to their booth. Three concerns I had and asked him to look for were it's aesthetic issues, the comb height, and the forend. The looks are what they are, the grip is pretty nice he said, the comb height is tough to gauge without a scope in place, and as I feared, the forend is a club. Unfortunate.
I suppose the only reason I can see for that overly exaggerated cutout behind the grip is if a guy has palm heels the size of a gorilla.
Brad,

That appears to be a functional design item to allow the abductor/flexor muscles below the thumb to come to a more rearward alignment behind the the trigger finger.

Jeff, I believe you're right and typed the above before I read your post.

I still hate the look laugh
It is ugly, no question. Especially for the type of action it sits around. I hope the comb height was set up correctly, but it looks like there is enough drop to be bothersome. I saw this picture a few days ago and had a friend going to SHOT. I emailed him and asked for his opinion when he got to their booth. Three concerns I had and asked him to look for were it's aesthetic issues, the comb height, and the forend. The looks are what they are, the grip is pretty nice he said, the comb height is tough to gauge without a scope in place, and as I feared, the forend is a club. Unfortunate.

Yeah, I didn't even get into the looks of the forearm.

Bottom line, as you rightly point out, it's a spot-on classic action sitting in a weirded-up stock.

Just doesn't work for me.
Function wins.
Me and a pard are thinking of each getting one.. After seeing the pics, I really want to see one in the flesh and handle it before pulling the trigger. Be nice to throw it on the scale too.
Function wins.

While I agree, you must have missed the part about the droopy comb, and clubby forend.

What is really disappointing is that one of the worlds finest stock makers lives right there in Kalispell. Maybe he would have had an idea or two.

While I agree, you must have missed the part about the droopy comb, and clubby forend.

What is really disappointing is that one of the worlds finest stock makers lives right there in Kalispell. Maybe he would have had an idea or two.

Exactly... but as the used car salesman said, "there's an ass for every seat"... but I just can't fathom alienating a significant portion of the market that prefer a classicly, svelt stock. Those that like the current offering wouldn't be offended by that, whereas the rest of us regard the current stock as a deal-breaker.
Must be lonely at the "top". How did yours shoot? Did you even shoulder it? Haven't laid a hand on one myself.

But its always interesting to hear pie in the sky. Maybe just pass on the MRC and add a few more Echols' to your pile.

I like the MRC action a LOT... have handled quite a few, as they've been offered since 2003 and show up here in Montana regularly.

Chopped glass stocks that need aluminum blocks for strength are not my cup of tea... they're always clubby. And I can't shoulder a rifle that I think is ugly, no matter its function.

Better to just order a barreled action and drop it in an Edge...
Maybe they shoulda done that to begin with.
Perhaps.

I wish them well... especially being a local Co.
No longer a local, MT. company. Bought by rem. last year and moved the operation to Alabama. Sucks but the new corporate way.
Hung with a new rope and still bitching
Originally Posted by SBTCO
No longer a local, MT. company. Bought by rem. last year and moved the operation to Alabama. Sucks but the new corporate way.

Not true. Montana Rifle Compnay is still based in Montana. The barrel company, Montana Rifleman, was sold. MRC is still alive and doing great in Montana.
Furthermore, most should handle and shoot one of the new production rifles before passing judgement. I've owned them all...every brand in their competitive market....and they're in the top tier of that category.

As I've said before, they're what the new Winchester wants to be.
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Not true. Montana Rifle Compnay is still based in Montana. The barrel company, Montana Rifleman, was sold. MRC is still alive and doing great in Montana.

Yep,just checked and stand corrected. That's what ya get when listening to the local grape vine.

More to come later....

I've seen you reference "exclusives" for us a couple of times. So what are they planning on offering for the members here? And I'm a lefty so curious how they're including is as well?

Thanks
I'm still hashing out the details, but should be able to comment specifically within a couple of weeks.

As to the lefty reference -- every run I ask them to do will include a group of lefty's.
Thank you SAS! I'm definitely interested in a lefty depending on what you work out with them. Keep us posted.
Now, if SAS could get the special run made up with the classic Brown Precision stock with slim forend, high comb, and small cheekpiece, we'd all be in high cotton!
Looks nice. A little heavy though. Almost picked one up on gunebay for 950 a couple months ago.
Now, if SAS could get the special run made up with the classic Brown Precision stock with slim forend, high comb, and small cheekpiece, we'd all be in high cotton!

True
Ok. I just drove over 300 miles today to get my hands on one before ordering. The store I went to had a 260 in the old Bell and Carlson stock and a 338 Win Mag (lefty) in the new, in-house stock.

Obviously they are different. The gun counter dude was kind enough to take the actions out of the barrel so I could see the differences, and check the quality of the bedding. Let me say this. The new stock offers a very noticeable weight savings. The Bell and Carlson felt flat out heavy. The X2 not too bad. The texture of the X2 stock is much grippier, think reminiscent of a Kimber Montana stock. The new stock does not have a full length aluminum bedding block like the B&C, but is pillar bedded and nicely glass bedded. As for the comments about the new stock being radically ugly? Come on. Go to their website and they have pictures of both, but looks are subjective.

I walked away without placing an order largely because I am still unsure of cartridge selection, and like to deal with the owner who was busy at a gun show.

I see it as being in the same market as Winchester EW and KImber Montana. I agree with SAS in that it is what Winchester should be. As to the Kimber Montana, of which I have had three (all which shot well) , I would say the stocks are very similar, the action is beefier, the triggers would be equally good, and the X2 has a floor plate which to me is a big plus over a blind mag, but the Kimber has the weight advantage.

If you like one buy one. If not, put your money elsewhere, but they seem to offer really good value for the features that are offered.
Furthermore, most should handle and shoot one of the new production rifles before passing judgement. I've owned them all...every brand in their competitive market....and they're in the top tier of that category.

Are you really serious? That is hilarious, maybe Winchester will start using cast actions too, to keep up with MRC's cutting edge, spare no expense design.
I'm still hashing out the details, but should be able to comment specifically within a couple of weeks.

As to the lefty reference -- every run I ask them to do will include a group of lefty's.

cool
Originally Posted by Brad

True

Order me up one please. I'm in for a left handed 9.3x62mm cool
Originally Posted by ULA24

Are you really serious? That is hilarious, maybe Winchester will start using cast actions too, to keep up with MRC's cutting edge, spare no expense design.

Dead serious. How many have you owned of each? We're talking NEW production Winchester vs NEW production MRC.
There is nothing wrong with investment casting as long as the raceways are cleaned up.

Early on (over 10 years ago), MRC had some initial problems along those lines (among other problems). But the owner was really smart and got a LOT of qualified input/help and got the initial bugs ironed out.

While an investment cast rifle doesn't satisfy the purists, it's absolutely rock solid. And I'd bet the action is stronger than any Winchester (and yes it pains me to say that). It certainly is a safer action from any POV while maintaining the M70's fundamentals... and really more like the M98's fundamentals!

But investment cast actions DO tend to be a bit heavier...
Anyone who doubts the strength of quality, investment cast firearms is only showing an ignorance that should have been put to bed 60 years ago with the introduction of Ruger's revolvers.
Since I have a Security Six in the closet I obviously agree... laugh
But that stock still pains me...
They should have just contracted for a run of McMillan Compact stocks. That's what I'll likely order as a replacement when I get an MRC rifle.
I suppose contracting with McMillan using a laid-glass stock would put the price-point of the MRC out of reach. Hence they're using a cheaper chopped glass stock.

Kimber got around that conundrum by building their laid-fiberglass stocks offshore.

The MRC stock design reminds me of a maker from the Kalispell area some years back. Same guy built Rifle Inc's stocks IIRC.

I won't say much more than that...
All this stock talk and I am only interested in a Mod 70 style action if it wears walnut- Not seeing that here.
Would it be too difficult for you to look at their webpage?
Anyone who doubts the strength of quality, investment cast firearms is only showing an ignorance that should have been put to bed 60 years ago with the introduction of Ruger's revolvers.

Count me in the ignorant group then, I am sure you can add plenty of others too. The real question is why would I possibly want an investment cast Model 70 clone in the first place? If what someone really wants is a true model 70, they can just buy a nice properly machined New Haven stainless rifle, sell off the parts they don't want, and easily build what they desire. No need to take the cheap clone wanna-be Model 70 route.

The true benefit to all of this is you now own a "real" Model 70, and you don't have to go around convincing people that your cast MRC is just as good or better, while they just shake their heads, roll their eyes, and laugh behind your back.

Thirty years from now when your Grandson asks you what big game rifle you used in the world's game fields, you can proudly say that you used a real Model 70, not some cast no name schitter--lol.
Originally Posted by ULA24

Count me in the ignorant group then, I am sure you can add plenty of others too. The real question is why would I possibly want an investment cast Model 70 clone in the first place? If what someone really wants is a true model 70, they can just buy a nice properly machined New Haven stainless rifle, sell off the parts they don't want, and easily build what they desire. No need to take the cheap clone wanna-be Model 70 route.

The true benefit to all of this is you now own a "real" Model 70, and you don't have to go around convincing people that your cast MRC is just as good or better, while they just shake their heads, roll their eyes, and laugh behind your back.

Thirty years from now when your Grandson asks you what big game rifle you used in the world's game fields, you can proudly say that you used a real Model 70, not some cast no name schitter--lol.

The 99 has some better features than the "new" Model 70. No doubt about that.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Have you seen how ugly their walnut stocks are??????
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Have you seen how ugly their walnut stocks are??????

They definitely have a stock design problem...
"Grandaddy, what rifle did you use?"

"I used a REAL Model 70 - Made in Portugal by a Belgian company!" wink
Any update on the group buy?
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
"Grandaddy, what rifle did you use?"

"I used a REAL Model 70 - Made in Portugal by a Belgian company!" wink

Outstanding come back Sir smile

Man those are nice looking guns, still hope they put faster twists on the 264 Win Mag though..............

Chopped glass stocks that need aluminum blocks for strength are not my cup of tea... they're always clubby. And I can't shoulder a rifle that I think is ugly, no matter its function.

Hey Brad,

Just got off the phone with Larry from MRC. He claims that their X2 stock is not chopper gun construction, but rather a hand laid carbon fiber with kevlar reinforcing. Also has a kevlar reinforced foam core.

I'd wanna see one with my own eyes before calling them ugly, but from the pics I see, they look OK, at least. Really hard to tell much from the pics on their web page.
I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one.
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
Any update on the group buy?

Good question
I am late to this thread (new to the forum), but it appears that I can still buy an "XWR" model out there that is in the B&C stock with what I think is a nicer comb.

Is both the "old" XWR and the "new" X2 factory glass bedded?

http://www.greatlakesshooterssupply...company/xtreme-weather-rifle-detail.html

The page linked says X2 but then goes on to say it is in a B&C stock.

I am looking for a contender against the factory Model 70 Extreme Weather SS, for a 7MM-08 deer rifle, and the accuracy reports in this OP look amazing.
Yes his accuracy with the 260 and 308 are fantastic. The new stock may not be as pretty but it appears to be an improvement over the B&C stock.
OP post was using the B&C stock.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This falls in one of the categories, "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand."

Granted, it's strictly an aesthetic thing (nothing to do with function). But to those of us that prefer classic stock lines, it is indeed, as Wrongside Rightly points out, the equivalent of a Leisure Suit.

Gentlemen, I give you the Leisure Suit Stock replete with bell-bottom cutout:

[Linked Image]

As a tradesman who has worked with his hands most of his life I see real merit in this extra relief and I have modified stocks similarly in the past, for those of you with lady hands it won't matter though
The stocks feel good in hand. The grip is much smaller than the old B&C too. I think the stock change was an excellent idea. It weighs less to boot. The rifles feel noticeably lighter in hand when compared to the previous XWR--SS. We have them side by side on the shelf....
The stocks feel good in hand. The grip is much smaller than the old B&C too. I think the stock change was an excellent idea. It weighs less to boot. The rifles feel noticeably lighter in hand when compared to the previous XWR--SS. We have them side by side on the shelf....

Can someone throw them on some kind of template like was done in the Model 70 thread? I would like to see how much more drop the new stock has compared to the B&C. That and the beef in the for end are what concern me.

Would like to see much less drop at comb. I have yet to find a fixed comb stock that gives me as firm a cheek weld as I like.

John
Must resist the desire to buy one.........must resist.......
Its not healthy to hold that in.
Great thread by Jeffbird. Interesting. Thanks for posting!

Can someone throw them on some kind of template like was done in the Model 70 thread? I would like to see how much more drop the new stock has compared to the B&C. That and the beef in the for end are what concern me.

Please, if someone has this ability, it would be appreciated.

Tell MRC to make the comb higher--ain't nobody buying these rifles to use with open sights anymore. Low combs on a current rifle is ridiculous.

If they need a "model," tell them to just copy a Brown Precision classic stock exactly, and they'll have it right.
Originally Posted by johnw

Just got off the phone with Larry from MRC. He claims that their X2 stock is not chopper gun construction, but rather a hand laid carbon fiber with kevlar reinforcing. Also has a kevlar reinforced foam core.

I'd wanna see one with my own eyes before calling them ugly, but from the pics I see, they look OK, at least. Really hard to tell much from the pics on their web page.

John, thanks for that info. That's good to hear.

I still think the stock is dang ugly, but undoubtedly it's one thing to look at it in a photo, and another to handle it.

The MRC rifle certainly has a heck of a lot going for it, and I agree with SAS, it really is the "new Model 70." I'll take something made in my own state with the best hunting trigger ever designed, over a Portuguese made non-model-70-model-70.
I've got a sneaking suspicion that the new MRC stock will look alot better in person. Their photography leaves much to be desired in terms of showing the true dimensions of the stock.
I've got a sneaking suspicion that the new MRC stock will look alot better in person. Their photography leaves much to be desired in terms of showing the true dimensions of the stock.

More I've thought about it, the more I think you could be right.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Would like to see much less drop at comb. I have yet to find a fixed comb stock that gives me as firm a cheek weld as I like.

John

I've looked, and not seen on the website where they give any measurements on the stock. Pressed for time right now but will look again later...

later....
Since this has become a bit of a reference thread, adding some load data from some limited testing thus far for the 260 and 308 in case it helps someone down the road and answering a couple of questions.

Answering a question on the 260,

Weight 6 pounds, 14 ounces.

Muzzle diameter - 0.600" at the muzzle, on a 22" barrel.

Mine is 1:9" twist.

So far, in tinkering with Barnes bullets with the 260, the best loads have been:

100 gr. Barnes TTSX

44.7 H414 - avg 3065 @ 65F, again from a 22". The H414 would push it over 3100, but this was the best accuracy.
Lapua brass with F210M's.

H414 is the same as Win 760, and very similar to 4350, except it is a spherical powder, and easier to find. Also tried IMR 4831 and Varget for comparison. Did not have any I or H 4350 handy to try when testing.

120 Barnes TTSX

41.8 H4350 avg right at 2800 at 65F.

Lapua brass and F210M.

With the long mag box, reaching the lands is easy and still with mag box room left over. Both Barnes loads are 0.010" off of the lands, i.e. 0.010" of jump.

For the 308, this load works in every 308 I've ever tried it.

175 SMK
43.5 Varget
F210M
2.810" COAL
Black Hills fired brass (same as Win).

Runout on all loads for testing is equal to or less than 0.003" and usually 0.001" or less. The insides of the necks are polished with a copper brush chucked in a drill.
Did we ever find out if these will work in stocks made for a model 70?
They are not just"drop in". My CZ 3 built on an early MRC action was a little long and required some file work as did the bolt release. Not an impossible situation but requires some work.
Do the 1999s need to be fed from the magazine or will the extractor snap over the rim? Is the bottom metal steel or aluminum?

John
Do the 1999s need to be fed from the magazine or will the extractor snap over the rim? Is the bottom metal steel or aluminum?

John

It will snap over and the bottom metal appears to be stainless steel.
Got MRC 1899 XWR SS in last night. Haven't shot it yet, but first impressions are VERY favorable. Quality seems top notch - a huge step above the typical factory M700. I got the short action version, which when compared to a Remington SA, is more of a mid length action. The 3.125" magazine box is perfect for those that want to seat out the VLDs to the lands. For those that haven't wanted to put a 6mm Rem on a short action before, this action is the answer. Would also be perfect for the 284 case. If throated correctly, I suspect it would even be suitable for a 6.5-284 w/ VLDs. Mine has the B&C stock and I really like it. The comb is higher than any non adjustable I have dealt with. The forend is a little shorter than normal and I really like the look. It seems quite stiff. I am not able to easily squeeze the forend to touch the barrel.

I have handled and used CRF rifles, but have not owned one and really scrutinized it. Mine could still be made to double feed IF I seriously short stroked the action. The extractor doesn't pick up the rim until the round completely pops up out of the magazine, which is about 1/2 way through the bolt travel. Still though, it DOES get control of the round well before you close the bolt handle, which I can't see being a bad thing. Ejection is horizontal which means no cases bumping windage turrets. The same can't be said about some of the other custom actions out there. With only moderate rearward bolt speed manipulation, it really flings the cartridges out there. As adjusted from the factory, the trigger has a little creep, but is so smooth as to be nearly non-detectable. I didn't put a scale on it but it is very useable as adjusted from the factory. The magazine will actually hold 5 down. The belly seems relatively trim so I don't know how it does it, but it does.

Even, having not shot it yet, I am certain this will not be my last MRC. I like the action so much that even should it not shoot well (and based on its overall apparent quality, I don't expect that to be the case), I will just have it rebarreled. Range report to follow, but it will be about 10 days or so before I have the opportunity to shoot it.

John

John

It will snap over and the bottom metal appears to be stainless steel.

I called them and it is indeed, stainless.

John
tag
What is the trigger pull weight from MRC? I know they can be adjusted just curious what weight they are coming from MRC.
The reviews I've read have the trigger between 3 and 3.5lb..

I've got a XWR-SS in 308 on the way, can't wait. I'm hoping to chuck my Bushnell 2.5-10x50 on top in some Leupold PRW rings - anyone running the Leupold rings and able to suggest the height? or able measure from the bell to the barrel, and bell diameter on their XWR?

The pics showing the difference between the new & old stock seem to have gone - any easy way to separate by finish, or just profile?
© 24hourcampfire