Home
Quick question - Did I miss something? Sportsman's no longer carries the factory 100gr TSX, and most online sources are out of stock. I don't reload, and that particular round shoots well out of my M700 LSS. My apologies if this has been covered before.
Any of your friends handload? Do you want to learn or no?
Off season. You might have to wait a few months until Norma gears up production,
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Off season. You might have to wait a few months until Norma gears up production,

I hope so! The Weatherby website itself doesn't even show it as an offering. Cabela's doesn't have it at all, and other vendors show it as "out of stock." I am worried that it may no longer be produced. I have a couple of friends that are re-loaders, but none of them shoot the .257....maybe I can work a deal. Doubletap Ammo loads it in the TTSX, I may start looking at that option. I have a couple of boxes of the 110 Accubond, but my rifle doesn't group that round as well as the TSX. I don't put a ton of rounds through it...verify zero at the range before the hunt is about it. Then whatever I use for the hunt (if I'm lucky!).
You probably already have lots of 1x fired brass, so it's a good time to start reloading. Tell your bud that you will buy the dies. Copy the COAL of the factory load if that's what your rifle likes. A pound of powder should last you a long time if you don't shoot much. Try R-22 or R-25. Your bud can just sell you some primers from his stash. I bet you are paying well north of 50 bucks for a box of factory ammo, so you will save money pronto.

My .257 Roy does well with the 110 accubonds.
Suggestion: Go to the various on-line retailers and find the product you're after. If the retailer is out of stock and offers an option to email you when the product is back in stock - use it.

When/if the retailer gets your desired item in stock and emails you, you better be "Johnny on the spot" and order what you need, right then and there. Do not pass Go; do not collect $200. Order it immediately. There are others in your position, with email notification selected and they will beat you to the punch. DAMHIKT
Another suggestion,

Fins someone near you who reloads and learn to re load, get some basic equipment, and then upgrade to the Barnes Tipped Triple Shock.

I have shot a bunch of Mule Deer and white tails with the 100gr TSX from a 257WBY, and share your enthusiasm for that butt kickin load. It makes deer fold up and fall over really fast!

Good luck with your search.
Call Superior Ammo and let them load you a custom round. It is is not that much different than buying factory Weatherby ammo.

Looked at Graf & Sons and they are out of stock for the ammo. Agar426 really needs to start loading his own,the price for 20 is $79.99 or $4.00 a round. There are plenty of people here who can help him out if he has any questions.
Oh, there's no doubt that I should start re-loading. I normally go through a box of rounds per year. I always want two boxes on hand for the hunt, so....I burn a box before the hunt while I verify zero, work on different ranges, shooting positions, etc. Then I pick up another box to replace that one. Well....I haven't seen it at the store in quite some time. Sportsman's isn't out of it....they no longer have a spot for it on their shelf. That, combined with Weatherby not having it on their website (they show 10 different factory loads with the TSX, not one of them was for the .257), I was just wondering if maybe it was being discontinued.
I just noticed on the Midway site, they have several 257 rounds that are "out of stock, backorder ok." However, for the 100gr TSX, it says "out of stock, no backorder." Interesting...
The start up cost will be a little steep,but the more you load,shoot,practice, it'll pay off in the long run. Then you don't have to worry about finding factory ammo.
I recently started reloading for the .257 WBY. My neighbor and friend showed me the ins and outs of it on his equipment. I would have never jumped into reloading on my own, so this helped.

I bought a few boxes of the Weatherby factory 100 grain spitzers for target practice and once fired brass. $36-38 a box for factory ammo versus $2 apiece for brass.

Those cheap factory spitzers work pretty good on deer too.

[Linked Image]

I killed this one Thursday afternoon. First critter I shot with that ole Bee!
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
I recently started reloading for the .257 WBY. My neighbor and friend showed me the ins and outs of it on his equipment. I would have never jumped into reloading on my own, so this helped.

I bought a few boxes of the Weatherby factory 100 grain spitzers for target practice and once fired brass. $36-38 a box for factory ammo versus $2 apiece for brass.

Those cheap factory spitzers work pretty good on deer too.

[Linked Image]

I killed this one Thursday afternoon. First critter I shot with that ole Bee!

Nice buck! There's no doubt that they hit hard!
Update - I actually did what I should have done in the first place....contact Weatherby. It turns out that the 100gr TSX will no longer be an option for factory ammo. It is being replaced by the TTSX, and it is simply not in the stores yet. August was their best guess....
Update - August came and went, still nothing at this time.
This post has 12 boxes listed but you have to buy 6 minimum @$55 each

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...NIB_Factory_Weatherby_.257_#Post10941996
I wasn't looking to dump that much money in one shot (the wife and I have a trip coming up), but....it just may be worth it! Thanks for the heads up!
Agar-
Ya gotz to make hay when the sun is shining!
Well, I missed the sale of ammo that was listed above. I was waiting until payday, and they ended up selling out.

Then, I wrote Weatherby to inquire as to when the new loading of 100gr. TTSX would be available, and they said "it already is, it's just sold out." This was back in spring. Yet, their own website doesn't even show it, much less any vendors.

I am now either going to switch to the 100gr. SP, which I believe is a Hornady bullet, or...I will try the 100gr. TTSX from Doubletap Ammo. Any thoughts on either of these options?
The 100 grain hornady while not ideal works well on deer . I have shot a few and my brother has as well with no problems.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
The 100 grain hornady while not ideal works well on deer . I have shot a few and my brother has as well with no problems.

Thanks for the feedback! This will be used for both Mule deer and antelope. I have also used it on Barbary sheep. Would the hornady round be sufficient for the Barbary, or even on elk? I have a .300 Win Mag I use for elk, but I have always been curious about the 257 on elk.
This is the reason I started loading my own. You find something you like that shoots well and then it is discontinued.
100TTSX= $0.54
7RM 1x Case= $0.40
72g IMR7828= $0.32
Federal GMM215= $0.05

Cost per each= $1.31 Cost per box/20= $26.20

That's just a bit better than $70/box factory ammo laugh

It doesn't cost much to get started either:

Lee Classic Cast= $116
Forster die set= $83
RCBS 502 scale= $30
Imperial wax= $9

That's all it takes to produce quality straight ammo. $70 a box ammo adds up quick. Reloading is the only way to go. It's really easy to do, give it a shot.

loder
Originally Posted by Agar426

Thanks for the feedback! This will be used for both Mule deer and antelope. I have also used it on Barbary sheep. Would the hornady round be sufficient for the Barbary, or even on elk? I have a .300 Win Mag I use for elk, but I have always been curious about the 257 on elk.

I don't think I would use it on Elk . I would use a partition,accubond or ttsx before that on something big. I think with those bullets at normal hunting ranges it would work fine.
Originally Posted by Agar426

I don't think I would use it on Elk . I would use a partition,accubond or ttsx before that on something big. I think with those bullets at normal hunting ranges it would work fine.

Agreed, I would prefer the ttsx for elk. Honestly, I don't "need" it for elk, having the .300 Win Sako in the safe. I have always wanted to try it though. You know, the once every 10 years I draw an elk tag....grrr!

I love the gun itself, and with the tsx, it was dialed in pretty well to the RZ-800 reticle. It actually became my go to rifle for most of my hunts. Lots of confidence in it.

I realize that re-loading is the way to go, but I don't shoot that much. Who knows, maybe I would shoot more?!?! For this upcoming deer season, I can always fall back on my .270 Win, as I have tons of ammo for it, and it is dialed in. Also, I can practically buy ammo for it at the gas station! wink I guess I am just bugged at Weatherby's lack of delivery on their part. Their web site is terrible, their customer service, while responsive, is basically full of it based on their response that it would be available a year ago August. They are super gung ho on their new cartridge, as well as their new marketing strategy with their ammo (two lines of ammo, select and select plus, which seems to me like an excuse for new box art, with no new offerings), even though nobody is carrying the ammo. Ugghh!

I know, I know...my rant supports the re-loading argument. That being said, shouldn't the parent company of a given cartridge have some options for ammo for that cartridge?

Sigh....
Might I suggest finding someone locally (that you trust) who is an avid reloader and do a little bartering.
Double Tap has the 100gr TTSXs available. I got good accuracy but they are really hot!
© 24hourcampfire