Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Quick question - Did I miss something? Sportsman's no longer carries the factory 100gr TSX, and most online sources are out of stock. I don't reload, and that particular round shoots well out of my M700 LSS. My apologies if this has been covered before.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Any of your friends handload? Do you want to learn or no?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Off season. You might have to wait a few months until Norma gears up production,

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Off season. You might have to wait a few months until Norma gears up production,

I hope so! The Weatherby website itself doesn't even show it as an offering. Cabela's doesn't have it at all, and other vendors show it as "out of stock." I am worried that it may no longer be produced. I have a couple of friends that are re-loaders, but none of them shoot the .257....maybe I can work a deal. Doubletap Ammo loads it in the TTSX, I may start looking at that option. I have a couple of boxes of the 110 Accubond, but my rifle doesn't group that round as well as the TSX. I don't put a ton of rounds through it...verify zero at the range before the hunt is about it. Then whatever I use for the hunt (if I'm lucky!).

Last edited by Agar426; 01/30/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You probably already have lots of 1x fired brass, so it's a good time to start reloading. Tell your bud that you will buy the dies. Copy the COAL of the factory load if that's what your rifle likes. A pound of powder should last you a long time if you don't shoot much. Try R-22 or R-25. Your bud can just sell you some primers from his stash. I bet you are paying well north of 50 bucks for a box of factory ammo, so you will save money pronto.

My .257 Roy does well with the 110 accubonds.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Suggestion: Go to the various on-line retailers and find the product you're after. If the retailer is out of stock and offers an option to email you when the product is back in stock - use it.

When/if the retailer gets your desired item in stock and emails you, you better be "Johnny on the spot" and order what you need, right then and there. Do not pass Go; do not collect $200. Order it immediately. There are others in your position, with email notification selected and they will beat you to the punch. DAMHIKT

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another suggestion,

Fins someone near you who reloads and learn to re load, get some basic equipment, and then upgrade to the Barnes Tipped Triple Shock.

I have shot a bunch of Mule Deer and white tails with the 100gr TSX from a 257WBY, and share your enthusiasm for that butt kickin load. It makes deer fold up and fall over really fast!

Good luck with your search.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Call Superior Ammo and let them load you a custom round. It is is not that much different than buying factory Weatherby ammo.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Looked at Graf & Sons and they are out of stock for the ammo. Agar426 really needs to start loading his own,the price for 20 is $79.99 or $4.00 a round. There are plenty of people here who can help him out if he has any questions.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Oh, there's no doubt that I should start re-loading. I normally go through a box of rounds per year. I always want two boxes on hand for the hunt, so....I burn a box before the hunt while I verify zero, work on different ranges, shooting positions, etc. Then I pick up another box to replace that one. Well....I haven't seen it at the store in quite some time. Sportsman's isn't out of it....they no longer have a spot for it on their shelf. That, combined with Weatherby not having it on their website (they show 10 different factory loads with the TSX, not one of them was for the .257), I was just wondering if maybe it was being discontinued.

IC B3

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I just noticed on the Midway site, they have several 257 rounds that are "out of stock, backorder ok." However, for the 100gr TSX, it says "out of stock, no backorder." Interesting...

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
The start up cost will be a little steep,but the more you load,shoot,practice, it'll pay off in the long run. Then you don't have to worry about finding factory ammo.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I recently started reloading for the .257 WBY. My neighbor and friend showed me the ins and outs of it on his equipment. I would have never jumped into reloading on my own, so this helped.

I bought a few boxes of the Weatherby factory 100 grain spitzers for target practice and once fired brass. $36-38 a box for factory ammo versus $2 apiece for brass.

Those cheap factory spitzers work pretty good on deer too.

[Linked Image]

I killed this one Thursday afternoon. First critter I shot with that ole Bee!

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
I recently started reloading for the .257 WBY. My neighbor and friend showed me the ins and outs of it on his equipment. I would have never jumped into reloading on my own, so this helped.

I bought a few boxes of the Weatherby factory 100 grain spitzers for target practice and once fired brass. $36-38 a box for factory ammo versus $2 apiece for brass.

Those cheap factory spitzers work pretty good on deer too.

[Linked Image]

I killed this one Thursday afternoon. First critter I shot with that ole Bee!

Nice buck! There's no doubt that they hit hard!

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Update - I actually did what I should have done in the first place....contact Weatherby. It turns out that the 100gr TSX will no longer be an option for factory ammo. It is being replaced by the TTSX, and it is simply not in the stores yet. August was their best guess....

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Update - August came and went, still nothing at this time.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This post has 12 boxes listed but you have to buy 6 minimum @$55 each

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...NIB_Factory_Weatherby_.257_#Post10941996

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I wasn't looking to dump that much money in one shot (the wife and I have a trip coming up), but....it just may be worth it! Thanks for the heads up!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agar-
Ya gotz to make hay when the sun is shining!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Well, I missed the sale of ammo that was listed above. I was waiting until payday, and they ended up selling out.

Then, I wrote Weatherby to inquire as to when the new loading of 100gr. TTSX would be available, and they said "it already is, it's just sold out." This was back in spring. Yet, their own website doesn't even show it, much less any vendors.

I am now either going to switch to the 100gr. SP, which I believe is a Hornady bullet, or...I will try the 100gr. TTSX from Doubletap Ammo. Any thoughts on either of these options?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.