Home
I know there've been threads on here about them, but the search function sucks. I was pretty ambivalent to them until yesterday when I actually picked a couple up and handled them. Man, that .223 with 1/8 would be cool as hell if it didn't way 50lbs. The .308 is what really intrigued me. The stock felt pretty good to me, it comes with what seem like good irons, it's heavy, but not retarded heavy. Detatchable mag and threaded. Lots of pluses. I'm really interested in it, but would like to hear from some members who have one. Likes/dislikes? Accuracy?

I'm not looking for something to ring steel at a mile, just a handy, higher capacity short barreled carbine I can spin a can onto if I want. Would likely see use on whatever I feel like shooting from about 500 in.
Posted By: natman Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/18/15
The Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle is a good rifle with an unfortunate name. It's not a very good Scout rifle because Scout rifles are supposed to be light and as you've already noticed the things are quite heavy for a 308 carbine. The single stack magazine also is a lot longer than required for the capacity.

Other than that it's rugged, reasonably accurate and comes with a good set or iron sights. It would make a great truck gun because then the weight wouldn't matter so much. I just wish they'd called it the Ruger Truck Buddy or something.
Posted By: Rooney Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/18/15
Good rifle, a little heavy perhaps, but there is a model with a synthetic stock that is quite a bit lighter. I have a laminate model in .308 and it's accurate enough to shoot at 500 yards I'd venture. My rifle has the 18.5 inch barrel and is stainless. Changed the rings to Leupold and that shaved a few ounces, and have ordered five and three round magazines as I have no real use for a ten rounder.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/18/15
They make a version now with a synthetic stock that is considerably lighter.

If you can do without higher capacity buy the Predator for $400. Mine weighs 7 lbs scoped, has a threaded barrel, detachable mags, and is more than likely much more accurate than the GSR. I've only had mine about a month and haven't fired a 3 shot group yet over .75 MOA.

[Linked Image]
I know there's a lot of love for the RAR on here, but they just leave me cold. Same with the plasTikkas. I think the Gunsite is pretty damn cool, but man it's a pig! That .223 is uber, if I knew that it'd bug hole I'd probably take it home. MT will now let us use suppressors to hunt, so I'm in the planning stages of getting a rifle I can screw a can on.

I'll probably just have my 22-250 threaded and mull over the other options for awhile. Maybe just get a 700 SA and a Micky, and screw a barrel of whatever cartridge I can decide on.

But damn, I like the way that Gunsite is put together.
Several points for whatever rifle you choose to suppress:

1. Calculate the overall rifle weight with the suppressor. Even with today's light cans, you'll be looking at 12-20 ounces of additional weight, which really adds up if you started out with a pig. This leads into 2....

2. The added length, along with the additional weight way out there on the end will necessitate chopping the barrel down to a manageable length to maintain a decent handling rifle. The Silencerco Omega can be reduced to 6" of length. Subtract another .6" for threads from the overall rifle length. Screw this onto a 16-18" barrel and you're looking at a similar overall length to many factory hunting rifles. Many of the 30 cal cans are more like 9-10" in length, so plan accordingly.

3. Balance can be pretty front heavy with a suppressed rifle. A guy can start out with a somewhat muzzle light rifle, or add a decently heavy scope to help maintain balance within the force.

5. With the short barrel, you're going to be "stepping down" in velocity, almost like dropping down a cartridge. A 16" barreled 30-06 is likely to have similar ballistics to a 24" 308. Run some numbers to determine which bullets will work in your new velocity range, which will still open up at your desired max range, etc. For example, I wouldn't wanna be shooting a 16" barreled 308 with 168 grain Barnes TSX bullets and still expect particularly good performance, especially as the range increased. Using a round that can take advantage of sleek bullet designs will really help with the slower starting velocities.....perhaps think of a 6.5 of some sort, or 155 Scenars in the 308.

6. Hopefully you already have your can on the way, as ordering it now will likely bring it in too late for Montana's big game season.
Good points!

Oh yeah dude, hoping to have it all set for next season. I have a .22 can on the way and though ATF for my paperwork First week of April it'll be at least September till I have it in hand.

This'll just be for walking around the prairie, so although the added length will be a bitch, it won't live on there. I "think" adding on to my 23" 250 it'll be ok. If I end up falling in love with the whole suppressor thing I will definitely build or buy something tailored as you pointed out. If I end up figuring it's not worth the effort I'll just get a SBR AR upper and leave it on.

The more I think about it I think I will just have the existing tube on my 22-250 and my sons 243 threaded. His is already short, so maybe I'll just let him have it.

Dunno till I try!
I really like my Ruger Scout in .308. Mines scary accurate. It will easily do 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with el cheapo 150 gr Remington Corelocks.
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/18/15
Well this is ironic. I just picked up a 308 today. I was really looking hard at the CTR. But I went with the ruger, it fits my needs.
Cool! I have a buddy pressuring me towards the plastikka, even called me names for liking the looks and features of the Ruger.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/18/15
Dear Gruff,

If you live anywhere near, I would welcome you to shoot my CTR at the local range. I trust the time spent behind this rifle may influence your decision.

God bless,
Clark
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/19/15
So those of you with a Sout rifle, what optics if any do you have on them?
Not a "scout" rifle per say, but I have a 375 win bolt action I had a red-dot on in the scout position out in front of the action that I used for a few years. Crazy fast on target, worked well for me out to 150 or so. I've a Burris 2.75 Scout on my 1895 Marlin, it's cool and allows more precise aiming than irons, but not as fast on target as the red dot.
Originally Posted by viking

Mine has a Leupold VX-III 2.5 X 8 mounted in the conventional style. I hate "Scout" scope!
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/19/15
I don't know if I want to try the scout scopes. What do all think about an Aimpoint, that way I can keep the irons.
One way to find out!
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/19/15
I like the idea of the Gunsite Scout, have been looking pretty hard at them. Think I would lean towards the synthetic model. In 308 it really looks like a do it all kind of rifle. I would lean towards a traditional scope mount. I have a Scout scope on my guide gun, it's fairly quick, but the loss of F.O.V makes any quick site acquisition a wash.
If going for a Gunsite Scout, the synthetic model is what I'd be looking at as well. Add 2.5-3 pounds of scope, suppressor, cartridges, and sling, and be around 9 lbs all up. Chuck the Scout rail mount over a cliff and save a few ounces.
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/20/15
Yeah it's a stout little fella, but the weight isn't an issue. Nobody walks around here anyway, well to the stand maybe. LOL
Very happy with my .308 Scout. Standard 3-9x scope, additional 3- and 5-round synthetic mags. Mostly I use the 3-round synthetic, which fits almost flush with the bottom of the stock. The synthetics fit better and are quieter. Sincerely doubt I’ll ever need the Scout rifle for the purposes for which the good Colonel defined the Scout package, but I love the short barrel (mine is 16.5”) and plan to get a suppressor. Also doubt I’ll ever get a forward mounted scope due to the extra cost. In fact, once I get load development done, I’ll probably revert to the irons, which is one reason I purchased it.

Accuracy is very good for my needs (~1" and 2699fps with a 150g BT).

Would I buy it again? Yup.

Posted By: natman Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/20/15
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
I have a Scout scope on my guide gun, it's fairly quick, but the loss of F.O.V makes any quick site acquisition a wash.

Keep both eyes open.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/20/15
I'm semi-interested in one...can't really figure out why, but they look like they'd be fun to mess with. smirk

I'm not big on 30mm scopes on light rifles, but a VX-6 1-6x on a .308, the 18.7" barrel model would seem to be a versatile rifle.
I gotta say, they look like they would be a dandy rifle to shoot Tennessee pigs with. 'specially if a man loaded him some 180 grain RN bullets and shot the open sights.
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/20/15
I wish they would of made them 25 or so years ago. But then what fun would that have been.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/20/15
Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
I have a Scout scope on my guide gun, it's fairly quick, but the loss of F.O.V makes any quick site acquisition a wash.

Keep both eyes open.

Always do
The new synthetic stock versions are much lighter.

Hopefully, they will put the new synthetic on the 5.56 soon.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I'm semi-interested in one...can't really figure out why, but they look like they'd be fun to mess with. smirk

I'm not big on 30mm scopes on light rifles, but a VX-6 1-6x on a .308, the 18.7" barrel model would seem to be a versatile rifle.

And fun they are. For years I've wanted a carbine that shot flatter than my .44Mag, .30-30, .375 win and .45-70 rifles and had iron sights my old eyes can actually use. The 18.7" barreled .308 Scout fills this bill quite nicely.

At the moment I have a 3-9x scope on it for load development but intend to go naked later on. The peep sight works well for ranges I would use this rifle and the 3- and 5-round synthetic mags are quieter, fit more snugly and are generally more comfortable to use than the steel 10-round mag.

No suppressor yet but that, too is planned for the future.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/25/15
I don't know if I want to try the scout scopes. What do all think about an Aimpoint, that way I can keep the irons.

No irons, but very fast.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGray Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/25/15
I haven't handled one but a pard has one and likes it. He's mostly shooting it with open sights at steel.
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/25/15
I haven't shot mine yet. Although yesterday I loaded 40 rounds, 150 grain Ballistic Tip, 45 grains of RL 15 and CCI 200 primers.

So how does that load sound to you 308 shooters. I haven't loaded many of them over the years.
Posted By: mathman Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/25/15
That load should do OK. What brass did you use?
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/25/15
Once fired Remington.
Posted By: mathman Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 07/25/15
If those are like the RP I've loaded over the last decade or so you should be OK, still some headroom left.
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/20/22
Update

I ordered a Burris 2.75 scout scope today and Burris quick detach rings from grabagun. Price was right.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/20/22
There's nothing schittier/slower than a Scout Scope and Burris makes absolute fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint.............
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/20/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
There's nothing schittier/slower than a Scout Scope and Burris makes absolute fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint.............

What makes it slower and slower for what?
The design makes it slower for EVERYTHING...you don't move an ocular further away to increase "speed". Hint................
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/20/22
The design makes it slower for EVERYTHING...you don't move an ocular further away to increase "speed". Hint................

Ya gotta shoot with both eyes open there stick.
Rickety,

I never learned how to squint,like a Drolling Dumbfhuqk such as yourself...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/20/22

Based on what experience?
Shooting same and fhuqking LAUGHING! Hint.

You CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards are a HOOT! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Rickety,

I never learned how to squint,like a Drolling Dumbfhuqk such as yourself...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Another one of your rants and on a subject you know nothing of. Yes scout scopes don't help much when it comes to brightening the image but with a little practice are very fast. If you know how to shoot anyway.
Rickety,

Pardon simplistic Facts upsetting you so...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I've "only" shot same on Pistoles,Scatterguns,Lever guns,Krunchentickers and Bolt Guns. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Read that again. now one more time. Hint.

Rickety,

Pardon simplistic Facts upsetting you so...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I've "only" shot same on Pistoles,Scatterguns,Lever guns,Krunchentickers and Bolt Guns. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Read that again. now one more time. Hint.

You should do something hard like getting cast bullets to perform in an AR chambered in 350 Legend. I just got done burning 40 rounds through one.
Rickety,

Your Brokedick Retardation ain't a "threshold",but rather a Plight and them differences are stark...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Rickety,

Your Brokedick Retardation ain't a "threshold",but rather a Plight and them differences are stark...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

This your cut and paste? Seems you really don't do anything special lately.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/21/22
Rickety,

You state ANY/ALL "changes" you've made to your Brokedick Retardation and don't "forget" pics...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/21/22
Another conversation hijacked.

What’s the point….
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/21/22
I put a Burris 2.75 on an inline, used it a bit, then pulled it and went with a regular 2-7. Unless the gun fits pretty well, they’re hard to get behind, hence not so fast, and I had trouble separating deer from weeds at only 100 yards. For fast, I like a 1-4 or 1-6. Good ones are like looking right down the barrel over irons. Have a 1-6 Trijicon on my Mini Grendel and a SWFA 1-4 on a Mini 14.

The SWFA was a pleasant surprise. Thought I’d hate it, but it was on sale for $300, so WTF. The stuff I thought would be issues wasn’t, and it’s a great utility optic for a semi carbine.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/21/22
Pretend are free

The foundation of every one of his posts.
Another conversation hijacked.

What’s the point….

ViQueen,

Pardon simplistic Facts,upsetting you so...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Originally Posted by Pappy348
I put a Burris 2.75 on an inline, used it a bit, then pulled it and went with a regular 2-7. Unless the gun fits pretty well, they’re hard to get behind, hence not so fast, and I had trouble separating deer from weeds at only 100 yards. For fast, I like a 1-4 or 1-6. Good ones are like looking right down the barrel over irons. Have a 1-6 Trijicon on my Mini Grendel and a SWFA 1-4 on a Mini 14.

The SWFA was a pleasant surprise. Thought I’d hate it, but it was on sale for $300, so WTF. The stuff I thought would be issues wasn’t, and it’s a great utility optic for a semi carbine.

Scout Scopes are a fhuqking JOKE and a great way to put a parachute on "speed". Hint.

A bottom rung LPVO,absolutely CRUSHES all things Scout,no matter what Bedtime Tales the girls are telling one another. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/21/22
I don’t find scout scopes any faster. The one advantage they have is ruined by the Ruger and it’s magazine. In something with a blind or flush fitting magazine the scout scope will allow you to carry it at the natural point of balance in the trail position.
JillBoob,

Scouts can NOT be "faster",nor even fhuqking "equal" due their design and ocular sizing. Hint.

LPVO's simply DESTROY them,from any/all angles,while simply offering Illumination to boot and a fhuqking reticle that will do sumptin'. Hint..................
JillBoob,

Scouts can NOT be "faster",nor even fhuqking "equal" due their design and ocular sizing. Hint.

LPVO's simply DESTROY them,from any/all angles,while simply offering Illumination to boot and a fhuqking reticle that will do sumptin'. Hint..................

So, thank you for confirming my contention that I don’t find them any faster. Your mental retardation is noted, though. English is hard.
JillBob,

Be SURE to cite any/all words I've used,which are "too big" or "too Technical" for you to follow...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Placing smaller Oculars,further away,simply impedes speed if only fhuqking obviously. There's not a "Scout Scopes ONLY" Class in shooting,if only because they do not begin to make the fhuqking grade and are wayyyyyyyy shy of being an "advantage". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
JillBob,

Be SURE to cite any/all words I've used,which are "too big" or "too Technical" for you to follow...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Placing smaller Oculars,further away,simply impedes speed if only fhuqking obviously. There's not a "Scout Scopes ONLY" Class in shooting,if only because they do not begin to make the fhuqking grade and are wayyyyyyyy shy of being an "advantage". Hint.

So, Retard, tell me what I said to contradict your assertion. English is hard if you’re a retard.
JillBob,

I simply handed you slack on the rope and your VERY Tender Feelers are doing "GREAT!"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

No need for you to add to your copious WELL founded Insecurities,but it IS funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........
JillBob,

I simply handed you slack on the rope and your VERY Tender Feelers are doing "GREAT!"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

No need for you to add to your copious WELL founded Insecurities,but it IS funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Once again, Retard, answer the question. English is hard when you’re a retard.
JillBob,

You are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

JillBob,

English, do you speak it, retard? If so, answer the question.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/21/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Scout Scopes are a fhuqking JOKE and a great way to put a parachute on "speed". Hint.

A bottom rung LPVO,absolutely CRUSHES all things Scout,no matter what Bedtime Tales the girls are telling one another. Hint.

And often things red dot and prism I’ve found, after futzing around with a bunch of those as well
JillBob,

'348,

A good 'Dot is lightning FAST,as parallax is removed from the equation. Hint..............
JillBob,

I don’t know what any of that means. I don’t speak retard. English is hard if you are a retard.
JillBob,

Your High Pitched Nasal Whine is fhuqking SOOTHING and undoubtedly perfected,by a "Life" of doing same...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You are sucking the wrong ass. Hint.

JillBob,

Your High Pitched Nasal Whine is fhuqking SOOTHING and undoubtedly perfected,by a "Life" of doing same...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

English, retard, English.
JillBob,

Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/21/22
I scrapped the Burris Scout scope on mine shortly after I mounted it. Didn't like it much from the beginning and it only got worse. Switched to a LPVO in QD Warne rings. Far better option than a scout scope.
Burris scopes are Dog Schit to start with and their Scout(s),easily amongst the biggest pieces of fhuqking schit "offered". The LAST fhuqking thing I want QD,is my Optics. Hint.

I never liked the scout. I sold it once and then traded back for it when I thought I might be able to like it after all, then sold it again.
Nobody who actually fhuqking shoots,finds any fhuqking "favor" in Scout STUPIDITY. Hint.

I used to be a Burris fan. Had a lot of E1s and they worked well but hated the goofy reticles and ended up selling all of them except a E1 2-7X. I stuck that on a spring-air gun and despite it being "spring gun rated" got knocked out of zero about every 25 shots, and it kept getting worse. Took it off when I couldn't keep it zero'd after 10 shots. Got my first Hawke Airmax and despite being Chinese made it's head and shoulders superior to the "tough" Burris. 1,000+ shots so far and as zerod'd as the day it got zero'd.
Burris has never made anything worth a fhuqk and their heart remains in same. Hint.

Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/21/22

Today I was at the range shooting my Marlin 336 30-30. It has a Burris 2x-20mm pistol scope mounted on it with quick detach mounts and a Williams peep sight for back up. With the 18" barrel this makes for a very handy little package. The Burris scope is very good. It gives me a very clear sight picture. It tracks very well because I'm always adjusting it up or down depending on what load I'm shooting.
I shoot mostly 175gr cast bullets with a gas check usually on top of 23gr of IMR4198 but use a 170gr JSP when hunting. As far as speed goes I've never timed myself with a scout scope or conventional scope but apparently I can shoot fast enough with either type to get the job done. I do lots of dry fire practice with my rifles and it helps a lot.
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/21/22
I never said anything about speed…. That was insinuated…

I want a scout scope so that I can keep the factory peep in place.
One thing is for SURE,with a Burris Scout...you ARE gonna need them Irons. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Posted By: goalie Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/21/22
Originally Posted by IMR4350

Today I was at the range shooting my Marlin 336 30-30. It has a Burris 2x-20mm pistol scope mounted on it with quick detach mounts and a Williams peep sight for back up. With the 18" barrel this makes for a very handy little package. The Burris scope is very good. It gives me a very clear sight picture. It tracks very well because I'm always adjusting it up or down depending on what load I'm shooting.
I shoot mostly 175gr cast bullets with a gas check usually on top of 23gr of IMR4198 but use a 170gr JSP when hunting. As far as speed goes I've never timed myself with a scout scope or conventional scope but apparently I can shoot fast enough with either type to get the job done. I do lots of dry fire practice with my rifles and it helps a lot.

Do you have a forward mounted rail on that 336?
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by goalie

Do you have a forward mounted rail on that 336?

Yes. I have an XS picatiny rail mounted on the rifle.
Posted By: goalie Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/22/22

Yes. I have an XS picatiny rail mounted on the rifle.

Cool. I just think there are a lot of LPVO options out there now that didn't exist when scout rifles were a thing.

I've never tried an actual scout rifle setup, but I can't imagine anything but an actual red dot being "faster" than my Trijicon at 1x with illumination on.
Posted By: mathman Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/22/22
I've tried a Leupold scout scope on a Gunsite Scout owned by an acquaintance. I really did not like it. For a bone stock Ruger it shot pretty well for me with a regular scope on top.
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/22/22
Goalie, yes red dots are a great choice too. I have a couple of them mounted on air guns that I've been playing around with. Once I got used to them I've found that they are very effective.
Do these Scouts have regular triggers or 2 stage like the Predator and Target models?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/22/22
July 25th 2015...I haven't shot mine yet. Although yesterday I loaded 40 rounds, 150 grain Ballistic Tip, 45 grains of RL 15 and CCI 200 primers.

So how does that load sound to you 308 shooters. I haven't loaded many of them over the years.

Update

I ordered a Burris 2.75 scout scope today and Burris quick detach rings from grabagun. Price was right.

Update from 7 years ago ?

You get lost on your way to your bathroom to buy a scope?

🤷🏽‍♀️😜🦫
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/22/22
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922345829

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If a guy is so inclined to desire a dog of a rifle. Maybe a Tikka Sled Dog type rifle is something to fancy in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Price is about the same for what’s being asked for a Ruger GS model.

🥴🦫
Posted By: gunzo Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Do these Scouts have regular triggers or 2 stage like the Predator and Target models?

My Scout was made about 2017, & it's a single stage.

I went conventional mount & would have even if I hadn't heard that the barrel mounted scout rail on the Ruger is problematic about staying tight.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/22/22
It wouldn't be too shabby,with a real scope. Hint.................
Posted By: gunzo Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/22/22
Scope shopping every day, for this one.

I guess you'd run 147's in this even though distances will likely be on the short end & the tube on the short end as well?
Posted By: viking Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/23/22
Mine likes 150’s.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/23/22
Mines a 6.5 CM.
Posted By: cotis Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/23/22
I recently bought a Steyr Scout after looking for one for over 5 years locally. I put a scout scope on it (Burris), but I do not like it. I usually like Burris BDC reticles, but with my aging eyes I could not see the BDC worth a crap even at 100 yards where I didn't need it. Seriously thinking about going the LPVO route with it.
Would like to own a 223 and 308 rebored to 358 Winchester by JES. Suppressor for each rifle. Already own 4 or 5 scout scopes. Stick, go back to your crack pipe. You will feel better again. Be Well. RZ.
They are a cool little rifle, a bit heavy though. I should replace the flash hider with something less annoying.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 - 02/23/22
Really can't stand the scout scope either. Tried it and found it is worse than a regular scope in just about every way for me, personally. Including what it does to the handling of a short light rifle.

Red dot or a low power variable scope for me too.
I received the scope and rings today. I guess according to the angry hobbit I should trash it🤣

No time to mess with it, I am getting ready to drive to Texas tomorrow morning
© 24hourcampfire