Home
Definitely want the Short Action Model 20....

I hunt whitetails locally here in Tennessee, but also go west for Mule Deer, Elk, and want to go on some Goat and Sheep hunts if I can stay in good enough shape....

I would like a caliber that can be used in all those situations....

I do handload, but have been known to buy premium ammo as well....

I understand the NULA Model 20 was developed around the .284 Winchester. The increased case capacity of the .284 Winchester is good for approx. 150 fps over the 7mm-08 on 140 grain bullets. Is giving up the abundance of brass and premium off-the-shelf ammo of the 7mm-08 worth the extra 150 fps of the .284??

The 7X57 is also a cartridge that will fit in the model 20....is it a worthy consideration??

Should I decide on one of the 6.5's.....Is the .260 Rem, 6.5 Swede, or the 6.5/284 the better choice???

I am open to all ideas and points of view.....The NULA would actually be the lightest if I chose the .308....Thoughts??

I placed my order this morning in 7mm-08, but have some time to change the caliber....

I would love to hear the thoughts of some folks that know more than me on the subject....

7-08 is the way to go.. Don't change it!
308 would be my choice....
7mm-08 is tough to argue with, for a Short action, except maybe the 7 WSM. I've bought a couple of obscure calibers in recent years, and brass is a headache. If you go with a caliber like a WSM, I'd buy enough brass to wear out a barrel. smile

FWIW, I found 6.5-284 brass is pretty easy to find, but the parent .284 - not. Guess you could always make .284's from 6.5-284 smile
Just my take, but I wouldn't base the purchase of a NULA around factory ammo offerings. I'd be handloading from the get go and have yet to forget my ammo for a hunt yet. That said, I'd definitely be considering one of the rounds based off the 284 case, with the Original in probably 2nd place. So my order of preference would be:
6.5X284
7-08

A premium bullet of 140gr at 2900fps, of which the first two will easily do, will cover a lot of hunting bases.
Originally Posted by pointer
Just my take, but I wouldn't base the purchase of a NULA around factory ammo offerings. I'd be handloading from the get go and have yet to forget my ammo for a hunt yet. That said, I'd definitely be considering one of the rounds based off the 284 case, with the Original in probably 2nd place. So my order of preference would be:
6.5X284
7-08

A premium bullet of 140gr at 2900fps, of which the first two will easily do, will cover a lot of hunting bases.

Looks as if you prefer the 6.5's to the 7mm....and you feel there is a major or worthwhile increase in performance going to the 284 cartridge based offerings....can you expand on that??
I have 4 Nula's plus my son works there as a gunsmith....I prefer the model 20's also. My favorite is my .308 followed by the .260. I had a 6.5X.284 & it really needs a long action to get the best out of it and then you have re invented the .270 whistle
.284 is a good round also (If you hand load)
My son shoots a 7-08

Since elk are in the equation I would say .308, 7-08, & .284 if you hand load.

Lefty C
http://bullets.com/products/-284-Winchester-Brass-Cases-100-Count/BL11927

how much 284 brass do you need....norma quality at current 284 winchester brass prices...
It won't matter as much as you think it will
I have owned M20's and M24's and would get the M24 in either 270 or 30/06.
Did Melvin say how long it's going to be to receive your rifle? I ask because between myself and a couple friends we have 3 muzzleloaders and a couple centerfires that were ordered in November and December. I talked to Melvin recently and he mentioned one of his shop guys left and this will put him farther back.

Not sure where you're at in East Tn, but I'm near Chattanooga if you want to try a M24 in 30/06. Not for sale though....

David
Originally Posted by realralfy
Definitely want the Short Action Model 20..

I would like a caliber that can be used in all those situations....

I do handload, but have been known to buy premium ammo as well....

7mm-08 or .308W

You don't need any help!!! Ya picked REAL GOOD!!! ScottyO.
I'd go 308 but I'm boring like that.
Originally Posted by davidsapp
Did Melvin say how long it's going to be to receive your rifle? I ask because between myself and a couple friends we have 3 muzzleloaders and a couple centerfires that were ordered in November and December. I talked to Melvin recently and he mentioned one of his shop guys left and this will put him farther back.

Not sure where you're at in East Tn, but I'm near Chattanooga if you want to try a M24 in 30/06. Not for sale though....

David

David,

I'm just up the road from you in Knoxville....

Sending you a pm....
If you stick with the Model 20 I would go 308 Win. But I think you should consider a Model 24 in 280 Ackley or 30/06...If you don't like the Ackley just go straight 280 Rem.
No magnums in model 20...FYI
338 Federal with #2 barrel Model 20
65 creedmoor
Have you considered a 7mm-08AI ? I would never AI a standard factory tube as the minor gains aren't worth the expense - but if it's all the same cost, there is an extra 50 fps or so over standard loads if you load to same pressure. With a 23" barrel, 75fps over most standard 7mm-08 loads.

What's also interesting is that on a custom tube with a tight chamber (as I would expect the Forbes to be) I still get printed velocities with factory ammunition - despite the fact that these are fire form loads. This gives me the option to shoot slightly higher velocity handloaded AI loads or factory ammunition at standard velocities. I've been very pleased w/ the 7mm-08AI I had built.

Regards,

David
Like my Model 20 in 7/08 a lot!
you have made a good choice and usually your first choice or guess is correct....

if you want to handload and have something a little different do the 284 winchester and get a 100 or two of the norma brass from bullets.com

if you want to buy off the shelf go with your 7mm-08 it is a great choice and the 100 or so feet difference wont affect anything when shooting game...
Originally Posted by ingwe
7-08 is the way to go.. Don't change it!

Exactly what I would think, too.
I had one in .260. Great rifle. The only thing I would change is to get a douglas#2 instead of the #1.
I'll cast my vote for the 7mm-08 also.
Don't forget the model 20 has a 3" mag

I'd get the 260 and hand load all my ammo to take advantage of the extra mag length. This negates any benefit of the 6.5 CM, and the 260 will be easier to feed. I'd also go with 8 twist #2 barrel as the #1 is too light for me.

I've had a 257 Roberts, 308 win, and 30-06. The 30-06 is quite jumpy. Don't like shooting it prone.
I'd vote for the .260, but a 7/08 would work.
I'd take the 7/08 over the 284, but that is just my personal preference. Bandleader it just doesn't have enough advantage to worry about brass supply.
Just picked mine up in 284 used, but I'm a looney that way. I own a 7mm-08 and wanted something else. Either way is a good choice. If I found one in 260, I'd jump on that too.
No problems with 284 brass. Just neck up Lapua 6.5x284. I like the 284 in the Forbes too.
7mm-08 makes the most sense all things considered.
308!
Originally Posted by pointer
6.5X284
7-08

Looks as if you prefer the 6.5's to the 7mm....and you feel there is a major or worthwhile increase in performance going to the 284 cartridge based offerings....can you expand on that??
I don't think the increase would be noticable in the field. I just like the idea of the 6.5X284 ever since I read about it in COTW. I have a 260 (not a NULA) and like it alot. I don't think anything .26" and up on either the 308 or 284 case would leave you wanting.
Originally Posted by gene270
you have made a good choice and usually your first choice or guess is correct....

if you want to handload and have something a little different do the 284 winchester and get a 100 or two of the norma brass from bullets.com

if you want to buy off the shelf go with your 7mm-08 it is a great choice and the 100 or so feet difference wont affect anything when shooting game...

+1
The 7-08 is a good cartridge. My XP100 pistol is chambered for it. However, with the longer rifle barrel, I prefer the .284 and got my NULA in that chambering about 10 years ago. If you want more velocity, you can get it. If you want to load mild, fine. BTW I have a NULA Model 24 in .338-06 on order, which I feel is a good choice if you want something noticeably bigger than a 7 mm.
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Have you considered a 7mm-08AI ? I would never AI a standard factory tube as the minor gains aren't worth the expense - but if it's all the same cost, there is an extra 50 fps or so over standard loads if you load to same pressure. With a 23" barrel, 75fps over most standard 7mm-08 loads.

What's also interesting is that on a custom tube with a tight chamber (as I would expect the Forbes to be) I still get printed velocities with factory ammunition - despite the fact that these are fire form loads. This gives me the option to shoot slightly higher velocity handloaded AI loads or factory ammunition at standard velocities. I've been very pleased w/ the 7mm-08AI I had built.

Regards,

David

I have heard of feeding problems with the 7-08 AI......have you experienced anything like that??

I have heard of feeding problems with the 7-08 AI......have you experienced anything like that??

I don't think feeding problems are typically a concern for push feeds, like the NULA. Even with controlled round feeds it's not an issue if your gunsmith knows how to make it run "right" - I'm sure Melvin is more than qualified....

My Kimber 7mm-08AI:

[video:youtube]CvS0YPfDdHE[/video]

David
I'm still scratching my head about placing an order that is bumping up against $4,000 for a rifle when I wasn't sure about action length or cartridge. Personally I'd probably want to handle a few to see if they were worth $4,000 to me.

Originally Posted by 30338
I'm still scratching my head about placing an order that is bumping up against $4,000 for a rifle when I wasn't sure about action length or cartridge. Personally I'd probably want to handle a few to see if they were worth $4,000 to me.

I am sure of the action length, absolutely want the Model 20 Short Action, said as much in my original post. I have handled plenty of NULA's, I just have never owned anything in 284 Winchester. Just want some thoughts on the 284 Win and other short action cartridges....why is that a headscratcher?

Caliber: .284 or .308
Cartridge: 7-08, 284 Winchester or 308 Winchester
6.5 Creedmoor or 308 would be my picks.

I am sure of the action length, absolutely want the Model 20 Short Action, said as much in my original post. I have handled plenty of NULA's, I just have never owned anything in 284 Winchester. Just want some thoughts on the 284 Win and other short action cartridges....why is that a headscratcher?

Guess I was confused by some of posts talking 270/30-06 stuff. Can't go wrong with your 7mm-08. I had a 284 for a bit in an ULA and with the light contour barrel, it actually had kind of a sharp recoil to it. Sold it, but think a 7mm-08 would be better.

50 cal.
The .284 is the "classic" NULA Model 20. It is a factory round that gives the best and most for its basic case capacity. It is the first of the rebated rim cases, and a lot of recent case designs use the non-belted fat case, some with steep shoulder angles like the .284, but the others generally require a fatter bolt and receiver than the .284 which takes the standard .308 size bolt. Think of it as a fatter 7mm-08 improved. It gives you .280 Rem performance in the short, light Model 20 action. Once you have accumulated some brass, I see no advantage to the 7-08 over the .284 unless you are extremely recoil intolerant and would never use the extra velocity possible with the .30-06 size case of the .284 Win.

Go with a 250AI! whistle

THIS ONE!

I placed my order this morning in 7mm-08, but have some time to change the caliber....

You're done.

Sweat the scope now. grin
Well, here's the ULA in 284 I just bought from 257 Heaven (thank you again).

The first hand load I tried was one recommended in an article as the most accurate in his ULA. 48.0 gr N 150, 150 Gr NBT @ 57K psi. As you can see the COAL is short at 2.825, considering the 3" mag box but it was a load I used in my Browning ABolt 284 with great success.

150 gr NBT leaving the muzzle at 2830 fps. Not too bad for accuracy at 100 yds, fired theses as fast as I could manipulate the bolt and squeeze again, not waiting for "cooling off". Yes, I missed the bulls eye, but I adjusted it after that and smashed steel out at 400 yds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My 23" barrel 7mm-08AI is launching 150grn Scenars at 2900fps. 46.2grns RL17, Norma 7mm-08 brass, Fed210's.

David
Thats fast, looking through my reloading notes, I played with that same load, same charge in a 22" 7mm-08 and I only got 2725fps, you picked up a lot of speed.
Originally Posted by lhead71
Thats fast, looking through my reloading notes, I played with that same load, same charge in a 22" 7mm-08 and I only got 2725fps, you picked up a lot of speed.

Yep! The factory 22" Kimber barrel was only giving me ~2750fps with same load. Chamber is considerably tighter on the Hart barrel.

David
The 150 ABLR would be a nice match for that 284 Win !
Thats one I'm going to try soon!
Originally Posted by lhead71
Well, here's the ULA in 284 I just bought from 257 Heaven (thank you again).

The first hand load I tried was one recommended in an article as the most accurate in his ULA. 48.0 gr N 150, 150 Gr NBT @ 57K psi. As you can see the COAL is short at 2.825, considering the 3" mag box but it was a load I used in my Browning ABolt 284 with great success.

150 gr NBT leaving the muzzle at 2830 fps. Not too bad for accuracy at 100 yds, fired theses as fast as I could manipulate the bolt and squeeze again, not waiting for "cooling off". Yes, I missed the bulls eye, but I adjusted it after that and smashed steel out at 400 yds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am very glad that it went to someone that is shooting it. Spent far too much time in the safe here.

Looks good, BTW.

I'd buy used or just buy 4 Montana's and have it all covered. But I am a NULA fan...having had 4 and still keeping one, I hope.
© 24hourcampfire