Home
Posted By: Jedi5150 Sako 85 picture thread - 06/19/16
OK, I know some of you have Sako 85 rifles out there, and I've seen several of Geedubya's gorgeous rifles. I was hoping we could start a thread dedicated to the plethora of Sako 85 designs.

As for me, I'll be contributing to this thread this coming weekend...my first Sako, an 85 Bavarian, arrives on Friday. smile I'll update this post when I get some pictures of it.

So in the mean time, let's see your rifles.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/20/16
Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/20/16
Thanks for starting us off, Reloader28! I like the camo.
Posted By: Hamrick Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/20/16
6.5X55

[Linked Image]
Posted By: geedubya Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/20/16
[Linked Image]

First blood for the 6.5 x 55 Sako Bavarian half stock. There was a good sized sow with some shoats, and I watched her stay just out of sight where I could not get a clear shot. It was getting nigh on dark-thirty, so I took this BB-Q sized hoglet. Like the old lady that pee'd in the river sez', ever little bit helps!

[Linked Image]

Accubonds

[Linked Image]

Sierra Spitzer

BTW, its a fair shooter!

Also have the Sako Bavarian Carbine in 308 Win.....

[Linked Image]

One of my fav's.

And as soon as I muster up the scratch I have a Bavarian Carbine in 30-06 headed this way!

Best,

GWB

Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/20/16
Top is a Sako 85 switch barrel now it's a 280AI, but I have a 9.3x62 barrel in the safe. That stock is a Mc Swirly

Bottom is a Sako 85 30-06 in a Mc Edge

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/20/16
Sako 85 260, now in a Mc Stock as well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: davidsapp Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/20/16
Spotshooter
Any details on the switch barrel? Sounds interesting.

David
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/20/16
I like the photos, Gents! Please keep them coming.

Hamrick, nice stock, is it a McMillan or a Manners?

Spotshooter, great rifles and I'm also a fan of McMillans. Down the road I might pick up the new McMillan "Gamescout" for taking my new rifle out to the field. Normally I'm not worried about getting scratches and dings on my firearms...but these wood Bavarian stocks are so gorgeous, I think I'd like to keep it pristine.

Geedubya, I drool every time I see those two Bavarians. And I checked out the photos of the 30-06 your buying... Wow! That rifle has some incredible wood on it! I love the fiddleback.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/21/16
Started as a 30-06 but now is a 270 Win.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: QuQ Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/23/16
My Sako 85 in 270 Win

(I dont seem to able to get my photo to display like you guys get it)

Attached picture Sako85.270.jpg
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/23/16
Originally Posted by davidsapp
Spotshooter
Any details on the switch barrel? Sounds interesting.

David

I have a barrel vise and go, no-gauges...

I had a custom Krieger 9.3x62 barrel made and put that on a stainless Sako 85.
I didn't use that one too much and I really started liking the 280AI - so I decided to turn it into a switch barrel and got another Krieger 280 barrel made up, it's being put on by the smith now. Hopefully I'll have it back by the fall.

All I have to do with switch out the barrels ... All good
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/26/16
OK, well it won't let me edit my original post, so I'll add the two pictures here. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but here is my new Bavarian, in 6.5x55 Swede. The scope is a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 with a Mil-R reticle and .1 Mil turrets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: geedubya Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/26/16
You did good.

Wood is much nicer on yours than what came on mine. If it shoots as good as it looks you'll be in hawg heaven.

Good stuff!

GWB

PS: Bet you'll love the set trigger.
Originally Posted by geedubya
You did good.

Wood is much nicer on yours than what came on mine. If it shoots as good as it looks you'll be in hawg heaven.

Good stuff!

GWB

PS: Bet you'll love the set trigger.

Thanks GW!

I'm very happy with the grain of the wood. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be either too light or too dark, and I couldn't be happier with the shade. The set trigger is incredible. Even without setting it, it is the crispest trigger I've ever felt. And the set trigger seems to activate by ESP.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/26/16
Jedi, looks kind of familiar to me.... 6.5x55 with NF.. No complaints on this one.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 65X54
Jedi, looks kind of familiar to me.... 6.5x55 with NF.. No complaints on this one.

[Linked Image]

You, Sir, have excellent tastes!

Hahaha laugh
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/26/16
LOL, thanks but I've been told otherwise a few times... smile

Enjoy, you have a very pleasant shooting rifle there. Mine has not been picky about ammo as it shoots most anything very well..
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/26/16
Sweet rifles!

Here's an old ass pic of one I still have.

300 WSM.

[Linked Image]

Used to shoot the chit out of it, over 2k rounds.
Still accurate but I've thought about re-barreling to 270 or 6.5 WSM.

The Bavarian model looks awesome.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/26/16
Been one of my favorite big/large game hunting rifles. Ugly as sin, but continues to run top shelf.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/27/16
Sam and Gary, great rifles!

Keep them coming. smile
Posted By: micky Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/27/16
I am simply in lust with the Bavarian line of rifles from Sako. I truly need to quit playing with Remington, Winchester and Savage.

If that's not a rifle loony cry for help I don't know what is.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/27/16
Here's a Bavarian 85 in .270 that I have (and that just happens to be for sale link). It's a beautiful rifle.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ingwe Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/27/16
I have been scouring the land for a Bavarian in .223 with the 8 twist but as near as I can tell none were imported into the states! cry
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/27/16
Too bad they didn't bring any into this country as now I know of at least two that would have sold..
Posted By: Horseman Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/27/16
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2 current favorite 85's. Both eject fine.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/27/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
I have been scouring the land for a Bavarian in .223 with the 8 twist but as near as I can tell none were imported into the states! cry

I've never seen one of those but there were some Sako 75 223's imported with 8 twist barrels. They don't have the Bavarian styling though.
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/28/16
Originally Posted by ingwe

I feel your pain. I think in the end I'm going to love the 6.5x55 caliber, so it's just as well, but the rifle I was dying to get was the Bavarian in 8x57 IS. Strangely enough, it can be ordered in America as a left handed model, but not a right hand. For the first time in my life I can have sympathy for the Southpaws. Hahaha laugh
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/28/16
Horseman, is the top rifle the "Classic"? Very nice wood grain pattern!
Posted By: Horseman Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/28/16
Yes that's a Classic and that's the plain side. I'll see if I have any pics of the other.
Posted By: Horseman Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/28/16
[Linked Image]

Other side of 85 Classic 7mmRM
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 06/29/16
Thanks for the additional picture. You got a very striking piece of wood on that rifle! I like it.
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 07/02/16
Here is my range report with my new Sako 85 Bavarian in 6.5x55SE. Let me start by saying that I am not a good rifle shot. This rifle just makes it so easy it feels like cheating. This is the first time I have ever shot a sub-MOA group, with any rifle, in any caliber. I'm ecstatic, especially since I think I could actually have done better with a few changes (long story). Weather was sunny, 65*, at just above sea level. The first 5 shot group measures (according to my highly accurate Leatherman :D), at roughly .6"

[Linked Image]

The second group is also pretty good aside from the flier, at roughly 1.25" (including the flier)

[Linked Image]

I only brought heavy bullets with me, since that's all I have currently. The first group was shot with 139 grain Lapua Scenar OTM rounds, and the second was 140 Hornady Superformance SST. I've got some 120 Scenars on the way and I'm curious to see how it shoots in the 120-130 grain range. For being the first two rounds I've tried in this rifle, I've got to say I'm extremely happy so far.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 07/02/16
Sooooo..... Which model is next? smile

Nice Shooting!
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 07/02/16
Originally Posted by 65X54
Sooooo..... Which model is next? smile

Nice Shooting!

Thanks! ...and You're evil. Hahaha. Just yesterday I got an email that the Grizzly is in stock in 8x57. Sooooooo tempting! But I'm going to focus on just this one for now. Lol
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Sako 85 picture thread - 07/02/16
Hey, Enabling is what we are here for... smile

The one you have will give you years of enjoyment. They are just so easy to shoot and not terribly hard on the eyes..
© 24hourcampfire