Home
Going back and forth on this decision. Know it probably doesn't matter as long as she can shoot it well. What wold you do and why?

In equal platforms, I'd go Creed these days. Seems to be more accurate factory ammo available. And it's the hot item of the day. Might as well let her be "cool" for awhile.

Plus, it should have slightly less recoil in most loadings.
You can probably do a standard velocity 120gr load on the 6.5 whereas you'd want a reduced load with the heavier 7mm bullets. Around here a full-house 120gr .260 and minimum load 130gr 7mm08 get the same reception.

The only way I'd go 7mm08 is if somehow stuck on using over 129gr as the minimum weight in the 6.5. Might as well use 7mm08 if going much over 120gr.
Originally Posted by Mac7
Going back and forth on this decision. Know it probably doesn't matter as long as she can shoot it well. What wold you do and why?

Based on the above and what's available on the market...

there are plenty of youth rifles, from various manufacturers in 243, which is as effective as a 6.5 or 7mm, none magnum or based on a 308 sized case...

Factory ammo would be more available, readily about anywhere for the 243....

the 6.5 Creed and the 7/08 are hit and miss...

for a handloader, I'd got with whatever rifle you or your young shooter would like best...
I still shoot the .22 I found under the Christmas tree when I was 12.

15 or 20 years from now, it may still be her favorite, or only, rifle. (unless she's very petit, you may have added a spacer between the stock and recoil pad so it still fits her). She may be living far away, but she may still want to and be able to hunt.... she might not want to reload.

Walmart will likely still have 7mm-08.

6.5 Creedmoor will still likely be a niche target round.

just my thoughts

Poole

Originally Posted by Bill Poole

just my thoughts

Poole

Still? As in it's only a "niche target round" right now? Yes, I realize you have the "just my thoughts" disclaimer but you've obviously not noticed the large and growing faction that's using it as a hunting round.
I really like the 7-08, although I do not have one. If I had it to do over again, I would probably have that caliber instead of my 7 mags. That being said, I really like my .260, which is essentially the same as the Creed. With 129 Interlocks, it has performed flawlessly on three deer this fall and did it will little recoil.

I went to the .260 after burning my 6mm barrel and I have definitely not regretted the decision.
The 6.5 Creedmoor is for the guys who were asleep or too young to be around when the 260 was released....
Creed for the win!! My 9yr old killed these this past weekend. Shooting 130gr Hunting VLD's
307yd 6pt.
[Linked Image]

75yd 9pt.
[Linked Image]

190yd doe.
[Linked Image]
There are no flies on the .243. Proven.
Lots of shooting practice equals accurate shooting when it counts. The .243 is sooooooo simple.
Thanks for the ideas so far. Here was her hunt this year.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11551195/1

I offered her my 243 she used and would get her a new stock and scope. She will get it some day anyways. She would like her own rifle.

Forgot to add she wants to hunt everything in Idaho she can. Probably cow elk next year and moose someday.

I like the versatility of the 7-08.

Forgot to add she wants to hunt everything in Idaho she can. Probably cow elk next year and moose someday.

Well, that might change things a little!
.243 as the starter rifle, but the 7/08 should be in consideration for those future hunts!
A 7-08 with a 120ttx at 3k is proven to kill even large moose. As per Barnes data, a Creed will shoot a 120 TTSX at 2900 and a 100gr TSX at 3200. The 127gr LRX is a good one too in the Creed, watched my brother take a buck with that combo this year. Never seen a Creed take a moose, but I'm sure somebody will do it.

High BC bullets favor the Creed in lighter weights, and less recoil, if that is your thing. The 143 ELD-X and the ability for it to fit in the mag box is appealing for the Creed.

Good luck. I see a really nice Kimber 7-08 in the classifieds now that is screaming for a good home.
If you reload, you can spin up a mild load in the 7mm, and also a pretty stout load for bigger game. I personally see the 308 as just as versitle with reloads, and a huge selection of factory loads are available.

I couldn't be more pleased with the choice of a Rem 700 7mm-08 for starting out my son! He started shooting it when he was 6 with reduced loads from Remington and Hornady. He now is 10 and has killed a dozen deer and several hogs with it. Great bullet selection from 120-175gr in the .284 bullets.
In my opinion the 7mm-08 is a timeless caliber.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Me too on the 7mm-08. I started my son, then 9, with a stainless T3. I loaded down for him then adopted the rifle when he wanted a .30-06. I load max charges with 140 Partitions and Accubonds.

All of the following were one shot kills:

Three of the five bucks hanging died from the -08. Closest shot was 175, farthest was 541 yards.

[Linked Image]

My dad's 5x5, 225 yards.

[Linked Image]

Spike bull, 346 yards.

[Linked Image]

Speed goat, 313 yards

[Linked Image]

There are several more but you get the idea.

P
7mm-08. Great round. Good selection of bullets for reloading. Good selection of factory fodder. Hornady custom lite 120 gr. is a real pleasure to shoot in my son's Rem 700. I shoot 139 gr hornady interlock in my encore.
I gotta go 7-08. If you lived back east, and a tag for elk was not an every year possibility, I would go 6.5. But the heavier bullets you can use in a 7-08 would make more sense on a black timber hunt.

But I killed a cow elk last year with a 120 Gr Nosler mono out of a .260, and it was DRT. So if you go with the Creed it is certainly capable.
Boy's a killer-diller! Congrats to both of you.
Tough decision. I think the 7-08 and 6.5 Creed might be two of the best, all-time, all-around cartridges for anyone, ever. Push to shove, I'd be inclined towards the 7-08. A modern, SA 7x57 and I think it's indisputable what one can do with a 7x57. It's a life-time BG chambering.

My one and only 7-08 elk kill... 150 NBT:

[Linked Image]
Flip a coin and you'll be right regardless of whether it lands heads or tails.

Factory ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08 isn't going to be on every shelf, but if you plan ahead and order on-line, you're likely to have more options and lower costs. As it is with most things, if you subscribe to the 7-P's; proper prior planning promotes positive professional performance, you'll seldom be caught short.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the common as dirt 243 and factory ammo is both plentiful and inexpensive.
OK lots of great pics and advice. I don't reload yet but have most everything I need to do so. Was leaning towards 6.5 creedmoor since I bought myself one.

She will probably have 2 deer tags and a cow elk tag next year. She shoots my 243 fine and doesn't complain. But she is small and I worry about recoil for her.
OK lots of great pics and advice. I don't reload yet but have most everything I need to do so. Was leaning towards 6.5 creedmoor since I bought myself one.

She will probably have 2 deer tags and a cow elk tag next year. She shoots my 243 fine and doesn't complain. But she is small and I worry about recoil for her.

I think you answered your own question, get the 6.5 Creed.
Originally Posted by Brad
Tough decision. I think the 7-08 and 6.5 Creed might be two of the best, all-time, all-around cartridges for anyone, ever. Push to shove, I'd be inclined towards the 7-08. A modern, SA 7x57 and I think it's indisputable what one can do with a 7x57. It's a life-time BG chambering.

My one and only 7-08 elk kill... 150 NBT:

[Linked Image]

I agree both are great cartridges, but the best all round depends on what type of critters are all around you maybe...if thats the case I take the 30-06 wink
Absolutely no flies on the 7-08, but a Creed shooting 100's would be a great rifle for a little gal.
I agree with the suggestion of a 7x57, A light recoiling (140 grains at 2,660 fps in factory loadings) classic that has accounted for untold thousands of game animals since it's inception in 1892.

Thanks all going with 6.5. Now to find a youth model she likes. Thinking fixed 6x scope.

She has the potential to be a rifle junkie if I can keep her from becoming a teenager. Maybe 7mm in a few years.

Thanks all going with 6.5. Now to find a youth model she likes. Thinking fixed 6x scope.

She has the potential to be a rifle junkie if I can keep her from becoming a teenager. Maybe 7mm in a few years.

I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is the correct choice.Right now you can get better and cheaper factory ammo for the Creedmoor. That plus the fact you have one just simplifies things and makes it the right choice for you.

I've heard really good things about the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't think the Ruger American youth compact comes in the 6.5 Creedmoor chambering. At least it didn't the last time I checked the Ruger website. I would call Ruger and see if an American Youth stock will exchange with the Predator stock and see if they will sell you just the extra youth stock. The Predator with both stocks would have her covered the rest of her life.
A guy can get the youth RAR stock on ebay or wherever for pretty cheap, or even from Ruger for about $100. The channel may have to be opened slightly for a float with the magnum-contour Predator barrel. Boyds makes laminates too, and they'll cut one to your desired LOP. I rather like the Predator Creedmoor that my brother owns. Lots of rifle for the money.
I'd get a Tikka T3 for sure in any cartridge.
If you are committed to a 6.5 bore, how about a 6.5x55 Swedish?

Light recoil, accurate and used to take moose in Sweden and surrounding countries.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Bill Poole

just my thoughts

Poole

Still? As in it's only a "niche target round" right now? Yes, I realize you have the "just my thoughts" disclaimer but you've obviously not noticed the large and growing faction that's using it as a hunting round.

I'm going to guess that if I asked every person that stayed or visited at my deer camp last weekend what a 6.5 Creedmore is, none of them would have any idea. Just because it's popular at target matches and on online hunting forums does not mean it's not a "niche' cartridge. I figure all of them would know what a 243 is and at least 3/4 would have heard of the 7mm-08. Most hunters I know use rounds that are at least 40-50 years old and don't have a clue about most rounds introduced in the last 20yrs.
When you figure in elk id lean 7mm08.
Hornady reduced recoil 7mm08's are $23 a box and bring it to 243 recoil levels so that handles the lower recoil yet still gives you the ability to step up to a "regular load" for larger game or when shes grows some.

As someone said 7mm08 isnt on every shelf, but then neither is the creedmore. But a person who prepares ahead never has to worry about those things.

To me a 7mm08 is one of the most versatile calibers since you can start it at 243 level with off the shelf ammo but then later step up 20-40 grains heavier in bullet weight in same gun.

Its what I bought first for my son because its a caliber he could use from day one thru the rest of his life.
If Tikka made a T3 Compact (Youth) in the Creedmoor, I'd have one. Not that I am compact or youth, but to my way of thinking it would be like baby bear's soup for that application, which is to say, JUST RIGHT.

I love the 7mm/08. It is probably my favorite hunting cartridge, but I can't help but like the Creedmoor, and if firearms manufacturers will get their heads out of their arses, and chamber the cartridge in lightweight rifles, I am sure it will take off.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.
CT
I'm a big 7-08 fan but I'd go creedmoor. Better case design, several reasonably priced factory ammo choices. Better bc in the lighter bullets. I shoot a 140 vld hunting in mine at 2800 fps and wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with it.

I put together a 7-08 youth rifle for my nephew when he was 10. I loaded him some reduced loads with 120 nbt's at 2800 to get him started. He's 12 now and still wants me to load him that load because he doesn't like the recoil of a factory 140. He has killed 3 deer with my reduced loads and shoots them well so I keep loading them for him. If I have my way his brother will get a creedmoor and his dad can buy him the cheap factory 129g American whitetail hornady stuff.

Their dad, my brother, doesn't reload and I don't mind loading for the kids sometimes but they always call the night before the hunt or so and say they need two more boxes loaded and they'll be by in an hour to pick them up.

Bb
Thanks again for all the advice. This will be her first rifle that is her own. She likes this but told her we would put a fixed 6x scope on it. Would like to find one local for her to check out . Thoughts good or bad?

http://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-hogue-youth-scope-package/

Of course she likes the pink one.

Bought my boy a 7mm-08 over 20 years ago. He is still hunting with it. Granddaughter has a 243. She has killed many deer and pigs with it. Grandson has a Creed. You can't go wrong anyway you go. I use that 7mm08 sometimes. Out to 300 yds, it kills as good as any magnum.
The 6.5 Creedmoor will be perfect for her, I can see why she would like that pink one. Pretty cool looking.......

Thanks again for all the advice. This will be her first rifle that is her own. She likes this but told her we would put a fixed 6x scope on it. Would like to find one local for her to check out . Thoughts good or bad?

Of course she does!

Good choice.

I wonder if Weatherby can sell you a stock to go on that Howa. They have the Camilla version made for women that they put on their Howa-made rifle. It's too big now, but it'd be a nice present down the road.
Mac, she's gonna love it and it'll be simpler to load for both yours and hers rather than a second cartridge.
Fixed 6x will be fine, shoot lots.

I wouldn't buy a package gun, as the scopes and mounts tend to be lower tier stuff. I think that you'd do better to buy a Howa 1500 from Whittaker's, replace the stock, and buy a higher grade scope and mounts.
I don't own either one, but I'd be looking at the 7.
Someday your kid will grow up and if you want to load up heavier rounds, you'll be able to do that.
But I see you're going with 6.5.
I like the Howa. Stock, not so much, but it can be a fun upgrade whenever. Hack up the hogue to fit and get a McM when she stops growing like a weed.

I still like my leupold 6's, but the swfa ss 6x gets so much love and they're on sale today. I don't think you could go wrong.
© 24hourcampfire