Home
Posted By: Bocajnala 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
I've found a pretty decent deal on a Remington Model 7 in 7mm SAUM... I've always liked the model 7 and wanted on in 7mm-08... however this deal came along.

I'm sure it would be an awesome deer and pronghorn rifle. Although ammo is tough to find.

I do handload. Should I just skip this idea or is it worth messing with?

-Jake
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
I love mine.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I love mine.

Do you reload or can you still find ammo to buy? As long as loading components (BrasS) is available It shouldn't be an issue.
-Jake
I reload for mine, but have found some ammo on sale from time to time. Ammo is crazy high, when you can find it, even on sale. Lol
Posted By: SKane Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've always liked the model 7 and wanted on in 7mm-08...
-Jake

While I'm quite partial to the 7SAUM and have one myself (M700), I'd get what I wanted in the first place.

If you still want to give it a whirl, Norma brass is available online right now through Midway. (I'm sure there are others)
Just make sure you purchase an ample supply.
My only concern is eventually they'll stop selling components. And I'll be stuck not able to feed it.
-Jake
Posted By: SKane Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
My only concern is eventually they'll stop selling components. And I'll be stuck not able to feed it.
-Jake

You can mitigate that by purchasing enough brass. (Nosler makes it too)
The run of guys building 6.5 SAUM's are to blame for the scrarcity of RP brass. whistle
(well, along with Remington)

If you're a buy-a-bag-of-brass-when-desperately-needed kind of guy, the 7SAUM is not and will not be for you.
If you're worried about brass availability, Bullets.com has 1,000 pieces of Norma brass. Never have to worry about running out. Lol
Were there any feeding issues with the SAUMs? It's in a Remington Model 7

-Jake
Posted By: Legionnaire Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
So what do y'all consider the minimum number of cases to inventory in a new cartridge? I'm fairly new to the 7mm SAUM myself (also in a Model 7) and have assembled 300 cases to get started with. Just curious what others think of as minimum.
Honestly, for me, this would not be a high volume shooter. A few of my hunting rifles I go through 300 rds a year. A few I've had for years and shot less than 10 times. It would depend on the volume that you're shooting. For an "average" ball park guess of an average person who hunts an average amount (say two deer per year) and only shoots it a few times before season to verify their zero.... Lets say less than 20 rounds a year.... 300 loaded rounds would last you fifteen years.

If you shoot more you'd need more obviously. My primary concern is a resale value. Allot of my rifles are revolving doors. I'll play with them for a few years then move onto something different. Resale on a "dead" cartridge is kinda keeping me from jumping on this deal.

Really wish it was a 7mm-08

-Jake
Posted By: Tejano Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
I get 200 to 500 depending on the rarity. But with tough cases like RWS and others you can wear out a barrel with 300 if using less than dynamite loads.

Really simple to put a false shoulder on a 300WSM neck it down, neck turn, trim then fire it and your good to go. The rim differences usually are not a problem. Try a sample case before buying a supply though. Rims vary among manufacturer and even among different lots on the short mags.

The 270 WSM is pretty mild if loaded around 60,000 psi it is only the max loads that get loud and have any noticeable increase in recoil. The saum is basically a compact 280 AI and a good round. Some target shooters were trying it as a short case can be more consistent. I think most gave up due to shorter barrel life but only a factor for target rifles. I have not tried to load down the 270 but some combo with the 7saum should work to duplicate the 7mm08 if you wanted mid range loads. Basically covers the range from 7-08 & 57 to the 7RM.

I don't think you will regret the purchase at all and the brass sticker shock is a one time thing.
Posted By: Legionnaire Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
Roger that. I wanted a Model 7 with a magnum bolt. I plan to shoot this one. I'm actually more interested in the 6.5 SAUM, but this was a deal on a custom that I couldn't pass up.

I learned one lesson the hard way. I had a very nice Remington 700 VSSF in .308 that I had accurized by a competent smith. It was a .5 MOA shooter with Federal GMM ammo. I wasn't into reloading yet, and didn't know then what I know now. I decided to sell that rifle in favor of another custom rig in .260 Remington. I don't regret the change from .308 to .260; what I regret is that I sold the .308 to buy another rifle when I should have just sent it to Hart to be rebarreled. If/when I lose interest in the 7mm SAUM, I'll have this rifle rebarreled in 6.5.

In your situation, unless there is something really special about the rifle itself, I'd hold out for a 7mm-08. They're not that rare in the Model 7, and it's easy to form 7mm-08 from .308 brass.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
Honestly, for me, this would not be a high volume shooter. A few of my hunting rifles I go through 300 rds a year. A few I've had for years and shot less than 10 times. It would depend on the volume that you're shooting. For an "average" ball park guess of an average person who hunts an average amount (say two deer per year) and only shoots it a few times before season to verify their zero.... Lets say less than 20 rounds a year.... 300 loaded rounds would last you fifteen years.

If you shoot more you'd need more obviously. My primary concern is a resale value. Allot of my rifles are revolving doors. I'll play with them for a few years then move onto something different. Resale on a "dead" cartridge is kinda keeping me from jumping on this deal.

Really wish it was a 7mm-08

-Jake

If resale value is a concern for you, I would pass. This is one of those chamberings where if someone wants it...they want it. Most do not. You would be reselling to a limited market.
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

If resale value is a concern for you, I would pass. This is one of those chamberings where if someone wants it...they want it. Most do not. You would be reselling to a limited market.

That's what I'm thinking too. It would be a fun toy for a while, but not one I would keep for very long probably and it may be difficult to move. Whereas a 7mm-08 would probably stay in the safe until it went to my kids/grandkids or whatever happens to them when I'm gone.

Would definitely be a fun rifle to play with though
-Jake
Posted By: Tejano Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
[quote=GeorgiaBoy]

Would definitely be a fun rifle to play with though
-Jake

Good read on the 7saum: http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html#7SAUM

I think you answered your own question. The 7-08 is no slouch and would be my choice for younger hunters. The 7saum only for fun or if you want/need the extra range ability. But some of this is lost in a light weigh rifle. The model 7 could be converted but only worthwhile if you already knew you wanted a custom bolt & new barrel.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
So what do y'all consider the minimum number of cases to inventory in a new cartridge? I'm fairly new to the 7mm SAUM myself (also in a Model 7) and have assembled 300 cases to get started with. Just curious what others think of as minimum.

I try to get 300 cases together for a new-to-me chambering I plan on keeping.
Posted By: GregW Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/09/17
I'd just get a 7-08 or a .280 Ackley....
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/10/17
They'll be making brass for it long after you're gone. If there's a market, they'll sell to it. You can burn the barrel out with 300-400 cases.
Posted By: fredIII Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/10/17
I love my 7-08, 7-08 ai, 280ai, 7mm saum and 7mmRM. With. 7wsm on the make. I think the saum is tough to beat the model 7 will not love the longer vld projectiles I'm running 150 Lapua scenars in mine with deadly results. But get what you want and like and have fun.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/10/17
Heck, 100-200 cases should last the life of the barrel with proper care.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/10/17
Originally Posted by Legionnaire

I have 100 case for each hunting rifle and 300 for each colony varmint rifle that I load for. If they are common cartridges, I just buy brass as I need it. If they are uncommon, obsolete, or orphan cartridges, I buy at least 300 cases to use in 100 case lots and I'll buy more cases if they are available and the price is acceptable. The most brass that I have ever bought at one time were 8K pieces of Federal WSSM brass that I bought on closeout from Graf's.

I have a 7mm SAUM and have 100 cases that that I'm currently using, with another 200 new cases from the same production lot that I'll use when the first set of 100 cases wear out.

I assume that I'm going to get at least 8 reloading cycles from each piece of brass and I'm not likely to shoot my 7mm SAUM much, so the 300 cases will probably still be in use when I dead and buried.
Originally Posted by GregW

According to Mule Deer, the 7mm SAUM is the short action equivalent of the 280AI.
Posted By: Legionnaire Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/10/17
Thanks for the replies on number of cases. Sounds like I'm set!
Posted By: DonFischer Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/10/17
Why would you buy any magnum cartridge in a rifle as light as the mod 7? I am not a fan of the mod 7 to begin with but the one I had was a 223, worst shooting rifle by a long shot I've ever had. Nice looking rifle with a wood stock though!
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Why would you buy any magnum cartridge in a rifle as light as the mod 7? I am not a fan of the mod 7 to begin with but the one I had was a 223, worst shooting rifle by a long shot I've ever had. Nice looking rifle with a wood stock though!

The Remington Sevens factory chambered for SAUM and WSM cartridges came with longer, heavier contour, barrels.

A sample size of one is not statistically significant.
Posted By: jeeper Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/10/17
Love my M7 7saum. It shoots most anything 1 moa or less. Ive been running the Barnes 120 ttsx last couple seasons.

Attached picture M700 (1).jpg
Posted By: fredIII Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/10/17
Love mine as well I put a high tech stock on it[Linked Image]
Posted By: GregW Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/10/17
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

According to Mule Deer, the 7mm SAUM is the short action equivalent of the 280AI.

That's why I said what I said....
Posted By: jeeper Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/10/17

That's why I said what I said....

Yes it is, really neat cartridge in a short action if you don't want to run the heavys.
Posted By: Calvin Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/11/17
Only reason IMO to run a 7 Saum, is if you get a really good deal on one. It'll work fine, just like plenty of others will too. M7 has magbox issues with bullets of higher BC. But, the SS version in a McM Edge makes a great killing rifle and it shoots extremely well off a pack.

I jumped a 162 no problem with great accuracy. Worked well.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/11/17
I too have struggled with the M7. I love the idea, but have always struggled with the ergonomics of them. I have owned four and just have never gotten comfortable enough with them to keep any of them. The only 7saum I have owned was a 700 and it was a good one. Used it on several whitetails with good results. It broke an extractor and it set at the gun smith for several months, by the time I got it back, I had moved on to other calibers and I never used it again and eventually sold it.
Posted By: Legionnaire Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/11/17
Sorry to hear about the negative experiences with the Model 7. My "go to" hunting rifle for a lot of years has been a Model 7 in .308. I put it in an HS Precision sporter stock and mounted a Leupold Vari-X II 2-7X Compact on it. It shoots 1.5 MOA with factory ammo, which is good enough for its purpose. I have another in .243 that outshoots it; my kids who hunt all started with that .243. My .223 Model 7 in a factory laminate stock is surprisingly accurate; last range trip testing Fiocchi 50 grain Vmax loads it achieved 0.5 MOA five-shot groups, which did in fact surprise me. Given my very positive experience, I jumped on my 7 SAUM Model 7. Haven't had time to put it through its paces yet, but have every expectation it will satisfy.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/11/17
I've owned 2 7mm SAUMs that I shot, a 7ss with a 22" barrel and a 700ss with a 24" barrel. I decided that I liked the balance of the 24" 700, so I kept it and eventually bedded it in a McM Hunter style stock. It is a nice shooting rifle with either the 140 grain BT or Partition over 63 grains of H4831.

As much as I like that rifle, my CLR in 270 will shoot the same weight and style of bullets about 50' fps slower and it is lighter to carry in rough/steep terrain, so it goes afield while the Remington stays home.
Posted By: montanabadger Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/13/17
Were there any feeding issues with the SAUMs? It's in a Remington Model 7

-Jake

Can't speak for the model 7, I had a model 700 BDL though and it had feeding issues.
Posted By: Oldwyoelkhunter Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/13/17
I have shot four or five elk and a moose with mine. It feeds flawlessly. Always have a new round chambered and never remember doing it. Mine has a laminated stock with stainless. I am considering a McMillan stock to lighten it just dont want to ruin the balace.
Only thing that is a minor problem is short magazine box.
Posted By: twofish Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/14/17
Both my Model 7 and Model 700 in 7 in SAUM shoot really well. I like the longer neck on the SAUM case as opposed to the WSM's too. Both of mine have feed flawlessly also.

twofish
Posted By: Legionnaire Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/22/17
Just scored some ammo for mine. 120 rounds of out-of-production Remington 150 grain Core-Lokts for (drum roll) $80.00. Heck, hard to find 120 pieces of virgin brass for that price!
Posted By: supercrewd Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/30/17
I sold my 7SAUM but still have my 300SAUM. I just verified my zero today as a matter of fact. It has proven to be my most accurate hunting rifle. The 7mm was the same but I had a mad sell off of extra elk rifles to buy something with a higher cyclic rate. I bought the 7saum to make a 6.5 but shot the donor...
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/31/17
I might have to join in on this 7 Shamu fun. Or maybe even a 300 Shamu...
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/31/17

Of course, what's not to like about that?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/31/17
I decided that I liked the balance of the 24" 700, so I kept it...As much as I like that rifle.......it stays home.

Maybe it needs a new home at my house?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/31/17
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
They'll be making brass for it long after you're gone. If there's a market, they'll sell to it. You can burn the barrel out with 300-400 cases.

Hmm. Not so sure. Look at 7 WSM. Market for 7 WSM brass is ravenous but nobody makes any.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/31/17
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Hmm. Not so sure. Look at 7 WSM. Market for 7 WSM brass is ravenous but nobody makes any.

Virgin brass is few and far between still but loaded ammo is everywhere around me. Comes out to about $125/100 which isn't horrid and you get to make them go bang.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 7mm SAUM - 08/31/17
Meh. That's adding a round to the barrel-life for no useful purpose (for me). 7 WSM doesn't have a ton of barrel life to spare anyway. I mean, you're correct, and I'm glad that's an option; better than not. But still: meh. smile

What's truly annoying is that Winchester RAN SOME 7 WSM brass recently! But only enough to make loaded ammo and a bit of overrun, which they sold to Cabelas. The rat bastards couldn't just run some more while they were all set up for it?!

I've got enough for at least one more barrel and maybe two since I've backed my loads down in pressure. Anyway, my point was just that a market void does not equate to folks filling it, with brass.
© 24hourcampfire