Home
I shot this buck this morning on my farm with the less than $300 Howa 6.5 Creedmoor I got at Whitakers. Bullet was a 120 Nosler BT that was sticking out of the hide on the opposite side of where I shot him. [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Nice buck. Congratulations!!!
No doubt he was distracted by that mismatched camo. What a dirty trick!

Lotta bone there. Congrats.
Wow, what a beautiful old buck. That's my ideal whitetail, thick, wide with shorter tines... congrat's!

BTW, what was the shot distance?
Super buck...
Range was about 150 yards, he did a mule kick and collapsed within 20 yards. Here's another pic.
[Linked Image]
Dang nice buck, congratulations. That "pack out" looks brutal though. grin
Congrats JamesJr - a nice heavy 10 pointer! Do you hire out for elk recovery?
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Range was about 150 yards, he did a mule kick and collapsed within 20 yards. Here's another pic.
[Linked Image]

Wow, how were you able to place the bullet, with him lying in the bucket like that? I'd have thought he was pretty well protected. Didja put it at the top of the skull cap?

Excellent work on a beautiful buck, sir.

FC
Nice horned old buck. Very good.
That was an old buck, and a fighter as well. He had his ear and jaw both tore up and filled with puss. He had a broken rack last year, and we let him go. My biggest regret about shooting him was that my granddaughter was also hunting him, and saw him earlier this morning. My son wouldn't let her shoot as he thought it was too far for her, about 175 yards. They held off shooting, hoping he would get closer. The deer was about to cross thru the fencerow to another piece of property where some other people were hunting. Around these parts, you can't save deer, as there are too many hunters. I would have gladly let my granddaughter kill the deer, as a matter of fact, I wished she could have.
Nice buck. Do you have any idea what the bullet weighed after expanding?
Congrats on that buck! Heckuva good deer and an awesome recovery as well.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Nice buck. Congratulations!!!

+1+
Originally Posted by barm
Nice buck. Do you have any idea what the bullet weighed after expanding?

I'm guessing 1400120 grains
Nice big thick buck!
Great buck, he has some mass there. Great cartridge, at the right velocity those Ballistic Tips Do a great job. I really like the 150 BT in my 7x57.
very nice indeed. i'm going to be looking at a worthy 6.5 creedmoor.
Nice work......beautiful buck!!
[Linked Image]

Be sure and save that tongue! Real tasty.

Around these parts, you can't save deer, as there are too many hunters.

James, first of all great old buck and secondly I know exactly what you mean about hunting pressure!
Very nice buck!

That's the kind I want in two weeks when PA rifle season opens.

donsm70
Congrats!
Very nice buck and I l would love to have a deer retriever like yours. smile
Great buck!!
Nice mass on that deer, congrats.
Man, Just one more year. smile Joking... I bet he was a scrapper. Well done!
That buck will look nice on the wall. I doubt your daughter will like seeing the buck every day knowing she could have pulled the trigger but didn't.
Great buck! Congrats!
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
That buck will look nice on the wall. I doubt your daughter will like seeing the buck every day knowing she could have pulled the trigger but didn't.

There's an interesting twist to this story. I felt kind of bad after shooting the buck that my granddaughter had been after. So, yesterday afternoon I happened to see an 8 pointer that was bedded down in a woods, and told her about it. She slipped up on the deer and shot it, making a nice offhand shot in heavy cover. She told me that it must have been karma.......I shot the one that she saw, and she shot the one I found for her. That seemed to make her happy, and it made me feel somewhat relieved.

I won't mount this buck, although I will nail the antlers up somewhere. I've got some mounted that are better deer.
Congrats, Real nice deer, good pics, good story, and awesome camo grin memtb
Originally Posted by memtb

When you're 67 years old, you have a lot more things to worry about than your camo matching, lol. I dress for warmth and comfort when I'm hunting, and to be truthful, the coat was not my hunting coat. It was an old one I put on after I got back to the house. Anyway, I doubt Mossy Oak or Realtree will hire me as a "consultant", although I'm available......for a price.
Nice buck and good story, congrats to both you and your granddaughter.
I like the mass on him. I’d never shoot the buck my grand daughter was after though.
Sounds like a great weekend of hunting for the JamesJr family. Congratulations to all.
Congrats on a great Buck!
like your pole barn made with the cedar poles.
Originally Posted by memtb

When you're 67 years old, you have a lot more things to worry about than your camo matching, lol. I dress for warmth and comfort when I'm hunting, and to be truthful, the coat was not my hunting coat. It was an old one I put on after I got back to the house. Anyway, I doubt Mossy Oak or Realtree will hire me as a "consultant", although I'm available......for a price.

I’m certainly a “fashion statement “ in my military surplus wools... from several different countries! memtb
That's a damn fine buck sir. I'm like you you about my camp, when I wear it it rarly matches. grin
Beautiful deer
Great looking buck, James! Looks to me like the 120 grain Ballistic Tip is just like baby bear's soup for the Creedmoor.... Just right!
Nice buck!
Great buck, congratulations.
You're a great grandpa!
Awesome buck. Love the mass. Something tells me your Granddaughter will have a few more opportunities!

Todd
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

There's an interesting twist to this story. I felt kind of bad after shooting the buck that my granddaughter had been after. So, yesterday afternoon I happened to see an 8 pointer that was bedded down in a woods, and told her about it. She slipped up on the deer and shot it, making a nice offhand shot in heavy cover. She told me that it must have been karma.......I shot the one that she saw, and she shot the one I found for her. That seemed to make her happy, and it made me feel somewhat relieved.

I won't mount this buck, although I will nail the antlers up somewhere. I've got some mounted that are better deer.

Greatest part of a great story. Thats hunting....it usually works out, even when it doesn't work out. You and that grand -daughter will always be hunting buddies!

Sycamore
Great buck! Congrats!
Great deer
Good job Sir! Beautiful Buck!
Very nice!!!
Nice buck & recovered btip congrats!!
Nice, old buck with great mass! I would have shot him in a heartbeat! Congrats! I'm going to try and shoot something this weekend with my new 6.5 CM.
Congrats on the buck and to your granddaughter.

My oldest grandkid is about 4 so I have a while to wait before I can take him hunting.
Real nice Christain county buck !!! I can just imagine what his mounted ones look like also.
Congratulations - that's a great buck!
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Congrats on the buck and to your granddaughter.

My oldest grandkid is about 4 so I have a while to wait before I can take him hunting.

Never too early to start.
© 24hourcampfire