Home
I've seen them go over $200 before, but wow...

ruger skeleton stock ebay
Dang
I don't get it
You'd think Ruger would take notice and bring them back into production.
Good to know from that auction, I have a couple short action skeleton stocks sitting in a closet.
In that condition, that'll get added to a stainless MKII action and then the whole enchilada passed off as a "like new" original setup on GB, probably in something unusual like 223, and it will bring big "collector" money.
Those stocks pretty much suck. That narrow butt and non existant recoil pad makes them amplify recoil. Plus they just look like hell.
I think they are way cool. I put my 358 Frontier in one.
Love it.
I saw one like that on GunBroker recently, I also was rather surprised by the asking price. I've never had a Ruger " boat paddle'" but I have heard nothing good about them.
🤔
They are tough durable stocks for sure. It just takes two people who want it to make an auction. My guess it the next one won't come any where close to that price.
Maybe I should auction my 8# jug of Reloder 26?
Obviously the winning bidder thought they were pretty darned neat as well.... $371
I hated that stock. So much so that the rifle was sent down the road b/t the stock and mediocre accuracy.
Did I miss the fine print where it said the stock also includes the barreled action? I can't imagine paying over $150 for any used tupperware stock let along the ugliest tupperware stock ever made. I've shot a few boat paddle stocks and wouldn't go out of my way to get one. I like the normal tupperware stock that came with my allweather M77 mkII 350 rem mag.
Originally Posted by BWalker
Those stocks pretty much suck. That narrow butt and non existant recoil pad makes them amplify recoil. Plus they just look like hell.

That
I like them.

But I like a lot of stuff.
...haters gonna hate.
I had one in a 270 and it kicked like a mule. Hated it
I sold one for $25 years ago and still feel I got the better end of the deal.
Originally Posted by JMR40
I sold one for $25 years ago and still feel I got the better end of the deal.

I'm sure the buyer does too. Win-win scenario.
I think they’re fugly.
Just one more thing I dont get.
Auction prices on eBay are not always a good gauge of the value of something. Sometimes people will get caught up in the moment and are determined that someone else isn't going to win the auction. I have sold fishing lures for several years on there and have seen some strange bidding wars during that time which did not reflect what the lures were really worth. Not saying this is one of those times, but it could be.
According to what I have seen lately the M77's with the boat paddle stocks are in very high demand, I had 3 of them, hated that I had to sell them, but such is life. They are going for at least a third more than what I had originally paid for them when they were new. I had a 30-06, 300 Win Mag and a 338 Win Mag, All three were great shooting rifles.
I bought a batch of short action Ruger Stainless Models that came with that stock..

The prices were marked down as they didn't move with that stock on it...

So I got a Boyd's Laminate each time... and just gave away the Boat Paddle Stock...

Three or four of them went to Campfire members...

got the 77 Mks 2s for $300 each...

still have two of those stocks tho...
I got two PM's asking if I'd be willing to part with mine when it was mentioned in a different thread. It isn't the worst stock I've ever used, it just isn't as nice as the Boys the rifle wears now. If my policy weren't to keep OEM gun parts until that piece is sold, I'd move the stock down the road.
If mine wasn't on of the more rare calibers, it would be on Ebay in a hearbeat for that money. They're nice stocks but not that great
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Did I miss the fine print where it said the stock also includes the barreled action? I can't imagine paying over $150 for any used tupperware stock let along the ugliest tupperware stock ever made. I've shot a few boat paddle stocks and wouldn't go out of my way to get one. I like the normal tupperware stock that came with my allweather M77 mkII 350 rem mag.

I'm like you, unwilling to go out of my way to get one... but I would sure go out of my way to get rid of one!
I gave mine away when I restocked the rifle and the price was right IMO.
I like them. Had one in a 22LR but never a centerfire. Looked at a Hornet but didn't like the plastic trigger guard. I'd buy one if I found a "Hater" mid-gag!

DMc : )
Originally Posted by BWalker

To each their own.

Butt pads are easily replaced The custom-built from ruger parts .338WM in the photo (left) wears a LimbSaver. Works great. The .300WM (center) is a factory config and the .30-06 on the right came in a laminate stock. The skeleton stock s much lighter. Haters can say what they want, I like them.

[Linked Image]
Ebay is a good gauge ,but keep in mind ebay is getting %10 and PayPal another 3%.
I know people that collect them.

Funny, all the commemoratives Winchester built t in the 1980's. Most are ignored.

Take a useless thing that no one wants (Ruger Hawkeye) or so fugly that they don't sell (skeleton Ruger),
and they become collectors items.

Also, notice the two loser examples are Rugers.
And folks say about their ability to hit overlooked markets,
guess sometimes they just flat miss the market.
It's one of the most weird things in a world of weirdness. I don't really criticize other peoples choices, but I do like to think I can understand them.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Funny, all the commemoratives Winchester built t in the 1980's. Most are ignored.

Take a useless thing that no one wants (Ruger Hawkeye) or so fugly that they don't sell (skeleton Ruger),

This post just doesn't make sense. Obviously, the "Ruger losers" are what people want, which is why they are willing to pay big dollars for them. And the "Winchester winners" are not what people want, hence ignored. Your perspective on reality is 180 degrees off according to the market right now.
I bought one in .270 when I first saw them, liked it so much I went and bought one in .243.
My son was broken hearted when I wouldn't let him take one when he moved out and married.
He just this week bought one in .30-06 off of GB for more than I paid for either of mine new.
They seem to have a 'cult' following.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

This post just doesn't make sense. Obviously, the "Ruger losers" are what people want, which is why they are willing to pay big dollars for them. And the "Winchester winners" are not what people want, hence ignored. Your perspective on reality is 180 degrees off according to the market right now.

I had the same thought about this post, kind of a head scratcher. Not sure he gave it much thought before hitting the send button. Ruger has been hitting some home runs on many fronts the last few years.

The 77s are good solid rifles, pretty popular up here.

Too many practical people, I guess, and not enough people willing to pay a premium for 'collector' rifles. My rifles are work rifles, no safe queens allowed. Big Brother has an unfired .308 Galil because shooting it would ruin the 'collector' status. If I had it, it would be fired many times over or hit the road.

There are a lot of sensible people that appreciate the Ruger rifles for what they are, whether M77, MKII or Hawkeye. I have multiples of each and like them all but prefer the Hawkeye.

Same with the 'skeleton' stocks. They may not be works of beauty to some but they are highly utilitarian - and therein is why they are highly valued by some.

Actually, you had a third example - Winchester collector rifles that according to you are 'ignored'. I could name product failures by Remington, Browning and almost every other major firearm manufacturer.

The fact is that Ruger's annual sales and net income are on an upward curve while Remington is losing money and laying people off. Other firearm companies are also struggling. Ruger must be doing something right.
Years ago, I have seen whole guns sell for less in pawn and used gun shops.
Guys must be reading this thread, I see more instantly pop up on Ebay when they have been rather scarce previously.
I purchased a long action boat paddle stock, in good used condition, on Saturday at a local gun show for $40.00 . Sold it on Monday for $115.00 (had multiple inquires at that price) wish I could do more deals like this .

My nineties boat paddle .280 has resided in a custom Fajen Laminate since I purchased it. That stock was sold many years ago for $40.00.

F
I have one in .35 Whelen. Ugly, but it shoots too good to mess with. I'd love to find a set of the wood inserts they made for them.
There's a guy who makes all kinds of them on Ebay, several exotic wood inserts for the skeleton stock.
I.had one on a 338 win mag it sucked .I.replaced mine with a laminated stock .Then it shot 3/4 inch at 200 yards and kicked 1/4 as much I.was a happy camper .I laugh at how much they cost .I sold mine and was a happy.camper !
Well....... I tracked one down, had it custom painted, and bolted it on. .308 Hawkeye.

[Linked Image]

$200 dollars later, I went back to the full Zytel stock. More civilized, and 1oz lighter. grin

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

You all missed it by a mile.
The Winchester's were collector guns that were to be desired and appreciate in value.
The Ruger's were to be using guns, the ones mentioned didn't sell well.
One was the answer to a question no one ever ask, and is very highly desired because it is a rare freak.
The skeleton stocks were an edgy look at best. They were not popular and after a while discontinued.
Now of course, people want them because "they don't make these anymore, and only made so many."

If the skeleton stocks sold better, people wouldn't be collecting them now, and a new one would cost less than people are paying for used.

And yes, Ruger has brought out some guns, the Blackhawk and the #1 for example, that created a market for themselves. The Hawkeye, will live on as an example of missing the market.
This one of my pair does what is asked of it[same goes for the other].
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
Good to know from that auction, I have a couple short action skeleton stocks sitting in a closet.

ChaChing!!!
There's a guy who makes all kinds of them on Ebay, several exotic wood inserts for the skeleton stock.

i have one in 7mm mag. wonder how the wood inserts are attached to the stock? what was the original wood from Ruger, walnut maybe?

There's small stainless bolts that secure the plastic (or wood) inserts in place.
[Linked Image]

There's small stainless bolts that secure the plastic (or wood) inserts in place.
[Linked Image]

Nice!
But I kinda sorta use mine as 'brush busters' when going through thickets etc
© 24hourcampfire