Home
Posted By: Otter6 Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
What happened to my beloved Rem oil! I picked up a new pump spray bottle of it Sat. It wasn't the usual light mist the last bottle was. Now,it's very heavy. Won't atomize for carp with the pump spray bottle. Rolls off a patch. I liked the thin spritz of the old bottle. A pump or two on a patch was perfect for wiping off a bolt or barrel. Or to push through the bore. This stuff is just maddening. What do you all recommend for an alternative? I don't want anymore of this.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Breakfree CLP or Kroll Oil. Some say 0W Synthetic motor oil and ATF work well too.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
I've heard Kroil was the cheese. I've used gallons of it in an industrial application. Never tried it on firearms.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Some say 0W Synthetic motor oil and ATF work well too

Are you talking about a mixture of the 2 or each individual? After changing the oil in my truck with Mobil 1 0w oil, I turned the oil containers upside down and left them for a while, and then poured them into a smaller container. I ended up with about 4 ounces of oil that I plan to use as gun oil. miles
Posted By: kellory Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Originally Posted by milespatton

Are you talking about a mixture of the 2 or each individual? After changing the oil in my truck with Mobil 1 0w oil, I turned the oil containers upside down and left them for a while, and then poured them into a smaller container. I ended up with about 4 ounces of oil that I plan to use as gun oil. miles

Those stacked cans in the gas station's window of yesteryear, were not there as a display of thier product wink but to drain the last drop of every can of oil into the lower tier of cans. All of the upper cans had small holes poked in the bottoms. Back when oil cans required a metal spout to be inserted, auto techs were taught to pour, twist, lift, which kept @%5 Of the oil in the can on the walls. When stacked in the window, the collected oil in the bottom cans was free, for thier own use.
Posted By: sourdough44 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
I’m still working through a quart of mil spec, β€˜light machine gun oil’. I have used 0w synthetic motor oil on an AR bolt when I anticipate high round shooting, like in a dogtown.
Yep. My great uncle had an inspection station / garage when I was just a kid. He had a couple drain racks for oil cans. Used the colleted oil for various purposes around the station.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
I don't mean to start a lube war, but RemOil was nothing but garbage from the start. It's just a light-weight mineral oil.

There are lots of better lubes and rust protection out there: Eezox, TW-25B, Slip 2000, Kroil, Unicorn Tears, you name it.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Originally Posted by Otter6
What happened to my beloved Rem oil! I picked up a new pump spray bottle of it Sat. It wasn't the usual light mist the last bottle was. Now,it's very heavy. Won't atomize for carp with the pump spray bottle. Rolls off a patch. I liked the thin spritz of the old bottle. A pump or two on a patch was perfect for wiping off a bolt or barrel. Or to push through the bore. This stuff is just maddening. What do you all recommend for an alternative? I don't want anymore of this.

Clenzoil, Ballistol,Eezox,and any number of other oils hold up better. if you want to coat the action and barrel use Frog lube
Posted By: kellory Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
My cousin is a chemical engineer for one of the major oil companies. I asked him his opinion on what was the best oil, A few years ago.. At that time he said mobile one synthetic was the best thing on the market. It was his competition and he said he could not touch it.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Yep I quit using Rem Oil after I saw it had Teflon. I coated an "lightened": Remington trigger years ago (young and Dumb) and the Teflon made the hammer drop upon closing the bolt. Quickly degreased and all was good.

I also think other people doing things similar to me with their Remy triggers led to Remington's downfall
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Originally Posted by milespatton

I've been using 0-20 synthetic for years, extra from atv oil changes. About as good of gun oil as I've found. I clean with solvent and clp, oil with 0-20, it will run at -25 and +90.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
I don't really consider Kroil (love the stuff) as a lubricating oil necessarily. I only use it to penetrate carbon fouling. Maybe I'm wrong.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't really consider Kroil (love the stuff) as a lubricating oil necessarily. I only use it to penetrate carbon fouling. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nope, it is a penetrating oil not a lubricating oil. I also want to know how someone can consider Mobil 1 a good gun oil. Unless they cycle their bolts 2000 times a minute. IMHO way too thick for a gun oil.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
All of these mad scientist potions remind of Grandpa Munster in his lab.

Have not put a single drop of oil on any of my many nice guns since 1976. Oil on a gun is a gumming agent.
Posted By: BCHunter666 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
make your own, it will last years !

2 quarts Mobil 1 5-30
1 quart ATF
1 Quart STP ( in blue container)

if you want to make it more CLP'ish....add one 4 oz jar of Hoppes #9.

I made this very concoction up and have been using it for two years and have not even got half way through it.
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
make your own, it will last years !

2 quarts Mobil 1 5-30
1 quart ATF
1 Quart STP ( in blue container)

if you want to make it more CLP'ish....add one 4 oz jar of Hoppes #9.

I made this very concoction up and have been using it for two years and have not even got half way through it.

Geez..........
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Nope, it is a penetrating oil not a lubricating oil. I also want to know how someone can consider Mobil 1 a good gun oil. Unless they cycle their bolts 2000 times a minute. IMHO way too thick for a gun oil.

Regular gun oil like rem oil turns to grease at -10. 0-20 synthetic stays thin in lower temperatures and is thick enough to run at higher temps. Most old gun oils are just 10 wt dyno oil. Synthetic is where it’s at, I changed when I discovered my stuff was less than reliable at -20. I’m going to make my own brand that smells like cinnamon rolls.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
[ I’m going to make my own brand that smells like cinnamon rolls.

And hot chocolate!
Posted By: shaman Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
I've been using 50% Kerosene/ 50% ATF for the past decade. It's been good stuff.

This is the gun oil recipe for Ed's Red:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

I was never impressed with Rem Oil.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18

You are correct. Do NOT rely on Kroil for rust prevention either, despite several recommendations above and elsewhere on this forum to wipe down your guns with it. Kroil has zero rust prevention qualities, and very little lubrication. It is specifically designed to be as thin as possible for penetration, it is not a miracle do-all oil.

The rust prevention is a pretty easy test for anyone who doesn't believe me, or is just wondering about a different oil. Just wipe a little on a piece of bare steel like you would on a gun and leave it outside for a couple weeks. For best results use a known good oil like CorrosionX on one part of the steel for comparison.
Posted By: trplem Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Y'all don't just use rancid bear grease?
Posted By: JayJunem Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Have not put a single drop of oil on any of my many nice guns since 1976. Oil on a gun is a gumming agent.

How do you protect against rust?
Posted By: Tejano Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Agree with the others Rem Oil is suspect. But you could thin it with Kroil and it would be alright for cleaning. Corrosion X and Ezox have worked well for rust protection. Will try Frog Lube and Hornaday 1 shot next time I stock up.

The concoctions work well for carbon fouling, Ed's Red, or ATF, STP, with either Kroil or Mystery Oil all work. Not brave enough to pour Mr. Clean Amonia down the barrel when there are so many good products out there for copper.

Bear grease is for the saddles and black powder patches.
Originally Posted by JayJunem

Remove all fingerprints with a dry soft cloth. Never had any problems.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
I have always liked Tri-Flow, but am now using Amsoil gun care products
Lots of input for sure. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm basically just looking for a light rust preventative. My trigger groups are run clean and dry. Firing pin assys are cleaned and wiped with a lightly oiled patch. I don't have any use for heavy oils. I'm looking for something thin,that doesn't leave a measurable,visible presence in or on a barrel / action. I have a little bit of Winchester(?) brand CLP. I like the function,but not the smell. I know the Rem Oil was cheap crap,but it was thin and light,and I never had any rust. Even with our humid summer weather. Now it's like motor honey. Cheap crap and thick to boot.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Hoppe's #9 gun oil ? Clear, odorless, mineral oil. All "gun oil" is pretty damned pricy for what it is. I've used straight ATF for 30 years with no complaints. At work we use Mobil vactra oil #2 for lubing the pistols we build.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/14/18
Mobil 1 - 5w30
Posted By: Yondering Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/15/18
Lots of input for sure. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm basically just looking for a light rust preventative. My trigger groups are run clean and dry. Firing pin assys are cleaned and wiped with a lightly oiled patch. I don't have any use for heavy oils. I'm looking for something thin,that doesn't leave a measurable,visible presence in or on a barrel / action. I have a little bit of Winchester(?) brand CLP. I like the function,but not the smell. I know the Rem Oil was cheap crap,but it was thin and light,and I never had any rust. Even with our humid summer weather. Now it's like motor honey. Cheap crap and thick to boot.

Try CorrosionX. It works awesome, smells like almonds, and the dispenser has a very pointed tip so you can squeeze out just tiny drops if desired. It's better than any CLP for rust prevention.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/15/18
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Hoppe's #9 gun oil ? Clear, odorless, mineral oil. All "gun oil" is pretty damned pricy for what it is. I've used straight ATF for 30 years with no complaints. At work we use Mobil vactra oil #2 for lubing the pistols we build.

Wow, Vactra #2? That's some pretty thick and sticky stuff (relative to gun oil), although it's certainly good at staying put and a great lubricant. It's what I use on my mill and lathe machine ways.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/15/18

Consider RIG: RIG at MidwayUSA
Posted By: MO2AZ Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/15/18
This+++
I have a soft baby coverlet from my oldest that I have been using for almost 30 years which is partially impregnated with RIG. I keep it in a quart ZIP lock to keep it clean.
My preparation of it was that I used it for about 3-4 year to wipe down excess grease after application of the RIG to the surface of my firearms.
Since then, it has maintained just the right amount of grease to clean away finger prints and adequately apply a thin coat to the gun for me.
So far, RIG has kept my blued guns rust free. Didn't see a purpose to experiment further.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/15/18
Found out fast Rem Oil wasn't any good up here. CorrosionX works and does a great job.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/15/18
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009H1AM...&ie=UTF8&qid=1521107211&sr=1

Is this the stuff? If so,is it thin or sticky?
Posted By: PennDog Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/15/18
OP.....did you try the aerosol can version? I had the same problem with the pump spray bottle but the aerosol works fine - if I use I always spray on a lint free cloth/towel and wipe down. I have never had a problem with rust or gumming of parts and I’ve hunted my rifles on some very cold hunts - guess I’m just lucky?!

PennDog
Posted By: AKduck Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/15/18
Otter- It is. It’s not sticky at all and flows like normal gun oil. Highly recommend.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/15/18
Read until you're heart is content; pick one of the better rust inhibitors and drive on.

This is my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it; some of these oils are a jack of all trades and master of none. I use Eezox for rust protection, but I don't like it for lube, or at least on AR's and semi-auto handguns, for this I use Slip2000. Even use it on my semi-auto hunting shotguns. For cleaning, I always default to Bore Tech. These are the best products I've found in each category for my own personal use.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/274/review-comparison-gun-care-products

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/7-303402/&page=1

Posted By: jorgeI Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/15/18

Hornady HD
Originally Posted by PennDog
OP.....did you try the aerosol can version? I had the same problem with the pump spray bottle but the aerosol works fine - if I use I always spray on a lint free cloth/towel and wipe down. I have never had a problem with rust or gumming of parts and I’ve hunted my rifles on some very cold hunts - guess I’m just lucky?!

PennDog

No I haven't.. It crossed my mind though.
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Read until you're heart is content; pick one of the better rust inhibitors and drive on.

This is my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it; some of these oils are a jack of all trades and master of none. I use Eezox and Corrosion X for rust protection, but I don't like them for lubes, or at least on AR's and semi-auto handguns, for this I use Slip2000. Even use it on my semi-auto hunting shotguns.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/274/review-comparison-gun-care-products

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/7-303402/&page=1

Chit that's a bunch of information! Thanks for posting it.
Posted By: las Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
I have hardly used a gun β€œoil” in maybe 20 years. CorrosionX or Eezox for me. I have found that I like X better, since Phil clued it in on a past thread years ago.

I have a 10 year old bottle of Rem oil , used maybe twice, if that helps.... smile. It was given to me .....works well on fishing reels, tho

I don’t shoot a lot and clean less, but I do hunt in wet and below freezing conditions. Both dry to touch products clean, lube, and are very good rust preventatives- one product use. KISS
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
I read somewhere that the big time dove outfitters in South America lube their Benellis and Berettas with diesel fuel. I have no direct knowledge of it's suitability. Vaseline is good for the bearing surfaces of double guns as well as for wiping down barrels. Not sure it would do well internally.
Posted By: BMR Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Hornady HD

That's the stuff I now use. I used to use Eezox all the time, and then I saw some tests that showed Hornady HD doing the best of the many that were tested. Plus, it doesn't have nearly the pungent odor of Eezox.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
Check out Fluid Film.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
Never used it much on my guns, but when my kids were kids, I used it on their Pine Block racers and kicked all kinds of Baptist azz at the AWANA racing event. My kids each took Firsts in their classes, and my wife and I took First and Third respectively in the Worker class. Everybody was pissed off, even the pastor, who had been a machinist in his previous career and thought he was a shoe-in. Definitely a "Dad Highlight". The boys still talk about it.

Years later, I passed on my ideas to a friend involved in the same event at another church, and they swept that event as well. Rem Oil was just part of why we won. I worked in the "pits" and used it on other kids's cars too, but the disgruntled competition was calling it "that illegal oil". So much for Christian amity.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
Now that's an application I never heard of. Whoda thunk it?
Posted By: EdM Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18

Dyna-Tek Gun Shield kept my stainless M70 375 H&H fine after spending two weeks in the rains of SE Alaska and two dunks in the sea. The areas I missed when applying it rusted. Amazing stuff.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
Originally Posted by EdM

Dyna-Tek Gun Shield kept my stainless M70 375 H&H fine after spending two weeks in the rains of SE Alaska and two dunks in the sea. The areas I missed when applying it rusted. Amazing stuff.

Interesting.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
Fluid Film is used in the drilling industry to prevent rust. You can even buy it in 50 gal drums. It is lanolin based.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18

I agree, plus it really stinks.

donsm70
Posted By: fairchase Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
Whatever I have needed RemOil to do, it has worked just fine...I don’t expect it to be grease but for thin coating it’s good by me.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Duck thanks for these. I had seen some of the tests before but not altogether like this. It even shows which go best with Hot Dogs, pretty comprehensive.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Wow, Vactra #2? That's some pretty thick and sticky stuff (relative to gun oil), although it's certainly good at staying put and a great lubricant. It's what I use on my mill and lathe machine ways.
It's also very good for lubing the rails of a 1911.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
my local wmt has rem oil but i haven't bought any gun oil for over 20 years. when i need gun oil i just grab a cup full of 10wt. drip oil we use here on the farm. i buy it in 55gal barrels.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Regular gun oil like rem oil turns to grease at -10. 0-20 synthetic stays thin in lower temperatures and is thick enough to run at higher temps. Most old gun oils are just 10 wt dyno oil. Synthetic is where it’s at, I changed when I discovered my stuff was less than reliable at -20. I’m going to make my own brand that smells like cinnamon rolls.

Wouldn't effect me. If it's -10 degrees (or minus anything) I won't be out hunting or shooting.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/16/18

I guess you can get away with that if you don't live on the humid east coast.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/18/18
Originally Posted by Mike74

I guess you can get away with that if you don't live on the humid east coast.

Yep.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/18/18
Well,I have some corrosion X and frog lube headed this way. We'll give those a look see.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/18/18
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009H1AM...&ie=UTF8&qid=1521107211&sr=1

Is this the stuff? If so,is it thin or sticky?

A reviewer said it’s not stick/gummy...I just ordered a bottle to try. I use Rem oil, works fine. I use CLP, works fine. Living is the land of saltwater and rust for 40 years, I know about rust protection. Keep firearms clean, dry, very lightly oiled and in a moisture free as possible environment.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/18/18
During the 1939-1940 Russo Finnish War, the Russians had major problems
with machine guns and automatic weapons freezing up in the Finnish Winter.

The Finns didn't have that problem at all...

They used a mixture of 25% 10 wt motor oil and 75% gasoline to dilute it.

Their machine guns functioned just fine in the winter cold....

For a lot of my lube needs, I just use Amzoil's version of WD 40 on a patch to wipe
things down with...

Light synthetic motor oil also works real well... and even can be diluted more with gasoline or diesel...

at the local autoparts store, you can even get 0w10 synthetic motor oil put out by Royal Purple..

according to racing stuff my son is always into... many formula one cars run a racing 0W10 oil
that Mobil makes. that is synthetic...

I don't have gumming up problems in cold weather even since I moved to Oregon, as I did when I
use to hunt northern MN about 50 to 60 miles south of International Falls...
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: Rem Oil!😠 - 03/19/18
No offense, but IMHO, Rem Oil has always been junk.

I prefer CorrosionX or Ezzox for rust prevention. I wouldn't use Rem Oil if it was free.
© 24hourcampfire