Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't really consider Kroil (love the stuff) as a lubricating oil necessarily. I only use it to penetrate carbon fouling. Maybe I'm wrong.

You are correct. Do NOT rely on Kroil for rust prevention either, despite several recommendations above and elsewhere on this forum to wipe down your guns with it. Kroil has zero rust prevention qualities, and very little lubrication. It is specifically designed to be as thin as possible for penetration, it is not a miracle do-all oil.

The rust prevention is a pretty easy test for anyone who doesn't believe me, or is just wondering about a different oil. Just wipe a little on a piece of bare steel like you would on a gun and leave it outside for a couple weeks. For best results use a known good oil like CorrosionX on one part of the steel for comparison.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Y'all don't just use rancid bear grease?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
All of these mad scientist potions remind of Grandpa Munster in his lab.

Have not put a single drop of oil on any of my many nice guns since 1976. Oil on a gun is a gumming agent.

How do you protect against rust?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Agree with the others Rem Oil is suspect. But you could thin it with Kroil and it would be alright for cleaning. Corrosion X and Ezox have worked well for rust protection. Will try Frog Lube and Hornaday 1 shot next time I stock up.

The concoctions work well for carbon fouling, Ed's Red, or ATF, STP, with either Kroil or Mystery Oil all work. Not brave enough to pour Mr. Clean Amonia down the barrel when there are so many good products out there for copper.

Bear grease is for the saddles and black powder patches.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JayJunem
Originally Posted by Reloder28
All of these mad scientist potions remind of Grandpa Munster in his lab.

Have not put a single drop of oil on any of my many nice guns since 1976. Oil on a gun is a gumming agent.

Remove all fingerprints with a dry soft cloth. Never had any problems.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always liked Tri-Flow, but am now using Amsoil gun care products

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Lots of input for sure. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm basically just looking for a light rust preventative. My trigger groups are run clean and dry. Firing pin assys are cleaned and wiped with a lightly oiled patch. I don't have any use for heavy oils. I'm looking for something thin,that doesn't leave a measurable,visible presence in or on a barrel / action. I have a little bit of Winchester(?) brand CLP. I like the function,but not the smell. I know the Rem Oil was cheap crap,but it was thin and light,and I never had any rust. Even with our humid summer weather. Now it's like motor honey. Cheap crap and thick to boot.

Last edited by Otter6; 03/14/18.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hoppe's #9 gun oil ? Clear, odorless, mineral oil. All "gun oil" is pretty damned pricy for what it is. I've used straight ATF for 30 years with no complaints. At work we use Mobil vactra oil #2 for lubing the pistols we build.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mobil 1 - 5w30

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Otter6
Lots of input for sure. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm basically just looking for a light rust preventative. My trigger groups are run clean and dry. Firing pin assys are cleaned and wiped with a lightly oiled patch. I don't have any use for heavy oils. I'm looking for something thin,that doesn't leave a measurable,visible presence in or on a barrel / action. I have a little bit of Winchester(?) brand CLP. I like the function,but not the smell. I know the Rem Oil was cheap crap,but it was thin and light,and I never had any rust. Even with our humid summer weather. Now it's like motor honey. Cheap crap and thick to boot.

Try CorrosionX. It works awesome, smells like almonds, and the dispenser has a very pointed tip so you can squeeze out just tiny drops if desired. It's better than any CLP for rust prevention.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Hoppe's #9 gun oil ? Clear, odorless, mineral oil. All "gun oil" is pretty damned pricy for what it is. I've used straight ATF for 30 years with no complaints. At work we use Mobil vactra oil #2 for lubing the pistols we build.

Wow, Vactra #2? That's some pretty thick and sticky stuff (relative to gun oil), although it's certainly good at staying put and a great lubricant. It's what I use on my mill and lathe machine ways.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Otter6

Consider RIG: RIG at MidwayUSA

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
This+++
I have a soft baby coverlet from my oldest that I have been using for almost 30 years which is partially impregnated with RIG. I keep it in a quart ZIP lock to keep it clean.
My preparation of it was that I used it for about 3-4 year to wipe down excess grease after application of the RIG to the surface of my firearms.
Since then, it has maintained just the right amount of grease to clean away finger prints and adequately apply a thin coat to the gun for me.
So far, RIG has kept my blued guns rust free. Didn't see a purpose to experiment further.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found out fast Rem Oil wasn't any good up here. CorrosionX works and does a great job.

Yup.
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009H1AM...&ie=UTF8&qid=1521107211&sr=1

Is this the stuff? If so,is it thin or sticky?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
OP.....did you try the aerosol can version? I had the same problem with the pump spray bottle but the aerosol works fine - if I use I always spray on a lint free cloth/towel and wipe down. I have never had a problem with rust or gumming of parts and I’ve hunted my rifles on some very cold hunts - guess I’m just lucky?!

PennDog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Otter- It is. It’s not sticky at all and flows like normal gun oil. Highly recommend.

Last edited by AKduck; 03/15/18.

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Read until you're heart is content; pick one of the better rust inhibitors and drive on.

This is my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it; some of these oils are a jack of all trades and master of none. I use Eezox for rust protection, but I don't like it for lube, or at least on AR's and semi-auto handguns, for this I use Slip2000. Even use it on my semi-auto hunting shotguns. For cleaning, I always default to Bore Tech. These are the best products I've found in each category for my own personal use.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/274/review-comparison-gun-care-products

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/7-303402/&page=1

Last edited by StudDuck; 03/15/18.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JayJunem

Hornady HD

A good principle to guide me through life: β€œThis is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by PennDog
OP.....did you try the aerosol can version? I had the same problem with the pump spray bottle but the aerosol works fine - if I use I always spray on a lint free cloth/towel and wipe down. I have never had a problem with rust or gumming of parts and I’ve hunted my rifles on some very cold hunts - guess I’m just lucky?!

PennDog

No I haven't.. It crossed my mind though.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,231 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,934
Posts18,479,981
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.