Home
Posted By: DrDeath Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
What are your opinions on the Remington model 7 in 308 for 150 yard and less deer and hog hunts?
Posted By: grovey Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
Probably handier in tight qtrs, but more than capable of killing big game further than 150 yds. The few I've had shot quite well.
Posted By: ckat Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
Originally Posted by grovey
Probably handier in tight qtrs, but more than capable of killing big game further than 150 yds. The few I've had shot quite well.

x2
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
Oh yes, I have had a pile of Model Sevens in 300 WSM, 308, 7mm-08, 223 and 222 and all have been very accurate MOA or better shooters.......I am currently considering another Model Seven SS in .300 WSM......Or maybe a Kimber Subalpine chambered in the same cartridge.....Hb
Posted By: hanco Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
I have a 7mm-08, sub MOA. Great little rifle.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
I have 4 of them, all shoot very good.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
Model 7 in 308, topped with an appropriate scope, perhaps a Leupold 4x, using a decent bullet, say a 150-180 gr Partition... there might be other rifles as good, but none better! Can't think of anything I wouldn't hunt, with confidence, with such a package.
I used such a package but loaded with 180 gr FailSafes on an Alaskan bear hunt several years ago. Perhaps underestimated, but very effective.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
Model Sevens are sweethearts.
Posted By: miguel Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
For the past 30 years I have been in the search of my perfect, all around, whitetail rig. I don't know if it is perfect or not, but it is damn close: Late 80's vintage Model Seven FS 7mm-08, with the Brown Precision stock, wearing a Leupold 2-7 VX-2. Since I got this rifle 4 or 5 years ago, 9 times out of 10 it's what I take deer hunting.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
My brother had one of the original configurations of it in 308. Wood stock slim contour barrel with irons. He had a 4x scope on it. He loved it and killed a bunch of deer with it.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
Model Sevens are skookum.
Posted By: killerv Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
I've got 3...two 708 and one 243. Great guns.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
A friend has a very early example with the good synthetic stock (Kevlar?) that he traded a printer for long ago. Hasn't touched the adjustments in decades. He doesn't hunt much anymore, and still has a partial box of handloads my late brother made up for him. I'm not a huge Remmy fan, but that little rifle is a peach.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
There's one in the classifieds - great deal I keep going and looking and thinking - I already have one but hey ?

I shoot 208 amax in mine - it slams hogs !
Posted By: mathman Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
Originally Posted by DrDeath
What are your opinions on the Remington model 7 in 308 for 150 yard and less deer and hog hunts?

Hard to beat if the way it handles suits you.

Given the hunting requirements, the full power of a 308 isn't necessary. There are a number of accuracy oriented loads that have plenty of power and provide for more pleasant practice in a light rifle.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18

Any accurate rifle chambered in 308 is capable of doing that job, but I don't think that Model 7s with 18.5" and 20" barrels are very well balanced, as they are butt-heavy.

Is short/handy more important to you than neutrally balanced? If so, the Model 7 might be a good choice for you. If balance matters, the Model 7 is a sub-optimal choice.

If I was looking for a short barreled 308, I'd look at a 700 Youth model and swap the stock, since the heavier barrel contour of the 700 would improve the balance of the package..
Posted By: geedubya Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
[Linked Image]

Custom Remington M7 in 6 x 47.

Works like a charm!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: z1r Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
I just fired my first Model Seven on Wednesday, a SS .223 Made in the 90's that was NIB. Only ammo I had on hand was cheap bulk 55 gr FMJ stuff that shot nice tight sub moa groups. Can't wait to reload that brass and see what it can really do. The LGS I got it from also has a SS .308 also NIB that I may just have to go back and get. The one that speaks to me is a Model Seven in .300 SAUM topped with a Silver Leupold.

That .308 will be more than adequate for your intended purposes and much more.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
I like the older ones better than the current stuff, but prefer the Ruger Ultralights to either.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
I've had 4 600/660 Remington 308's. Seven's are better than those 600/660's IMHO - mostly because they look nicer (I don't like 600/660 floor plates and 600's ribs.

I think a seven in a 308 would be a great deer rifle.

I prefer a 700, it sooooo depends on where you hunt -- terrain, cover etc.

Lately I'm hunting mostly on the plains and Missouri River breaks for deer. Last year I was in the Bear Lodge Mountains. As it turned out, I could have shot last year's doe with a 357 Mag 4" S&W - (20 feet standing broadside). -- I mainly shoot deer for meat and the getting together of friends hunting together.

For twenty plus years I hunted in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I often shot deer (bucks only then) while they were on the run.

On the plains I prefer "rifles", in the hills/mountains in heavier cover I preferred "carbines". Rifles hold more steady for me. Carbines are faster to get on target.
Posted By: z1r Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
Originally Posted by Bugger
I've had 4 600/660 Remington 308's. Seven's are better than those 600/660's IMHO - mostly because they look nicer (I don't like 600/660 floor plates and 600's ribs.

Lately I'm hunting mostly on the plains and Missouri River breaks for deer. Last year I was in the Bear Lodge Mountains. As it turned out, I could have shot last year's doe with a 357 Mag 4" S&W - (20 feet standing broadside). -- I mainly shoot deer for meat and the getting together of friends hunting together.

For twenty plus years I hunted in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I often shot deer (bucks only then) while they were on the run.

On the plains I prefer "rifles", in the hills/mountains in heavier cover I preferred "carbines". Rifles hold more steady for me. Carbines are faster to get on target.

I agree on your carbine vs rifle preference for the most part. And to me that means a .308 or similar in a carbine which, due to its size, I consider the Model 7, and a 6.5x55 through .30-06 in a rifle. The longer, heavier rifle being easier t steady for those longer shots.

I'm kinda flush with .38's but like my 223 so much that I really am having thoughts about buying that model Seven in .308. I like the synthetic stocks on the older models better than the ones on the newer production. However, I like that newer Sevens have four scope base holes vs three.
Posted By: valad Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
I have a older Model 7 with a 18.5 barrel I believe. Too blasty to me when I last shot it several years ago with factory fodder. I am going to reload this and see what it feels like with minimum loads but got to find bullets for it since I only have the Hornady 100's and Nosler 95's.
Posted By: JJWise Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
Mine will shoot MOA consistently and with one particular handload it will shoot subMOA. It fits my needs well, handy to carry and point. It’s not my first choice for long shots but will still do the job.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Remington model 7 - 05/04/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Remington model 7 - 05/05/18
Originally Posted by Bugger

I have a M7 243 and a 660 308. The 660 is in a Brown stock, and I prefer the feel and balance of it. And the bolt locking safety.
The M7 is more refined, bolt release, floor platec, little smoother action. Too muzzle light, that dang safety.

Have been thinking about a heavier 20" barrel and getting a M70 safety on the M7.
Then it might be the one rifle I have no complaints about.

Sorry, I broke tradition and read the thread, adding to it.
Anyhow, despite the points above, it would make a great deer gun.
Personally, a Tikka addresses my biases and would work at least as well.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Remington model 7 - 05/05/18
Very popular for folks who like carbines. I've had many customs made up on the early Mod 7 synthetic stock/action just because they are so slim and trim (my preference). I actually prefer a longer, so used a sporter weight barrel.(Mod 700 take off barrels work swell!) I have big hands and the wrist could stand to be more open for me on any Remington, ala Model 70 FWT. However, the little short skinny barrels kill a lot of game! being tall, I learned my limitations on short/light bolt guns in .308...one of the first Ruger Ultralights. It kicked pretty hard, OK, and off the bench shot very well. I only had a Leupold 1x4 on it. I figured I could step out of the woods ( East Tx) and onto a pipeline ROW, logging road, etc and be set to 300yds. Well, from hunting positions I couldn't hold it still to even hit a 2 liter pop bottle at 200yds! I traded it off. I figured I had gained nothing over my Mod 94 in that respect. I find that tall men, generally speaking, prefer longer rifles. I know I do. One can always drill out the wood buttstock to get rid of some of the butt-heavy balance, maybe slide a couple of those rubber doughnut accuracy thingys onto the barrel for a bit more weight. Light weight scopes help. Have a ball though!
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Remington model 7 - 05/06/18
I was on the hunt for perfect, dont mess with it, just hunt rifle. I had settled on .308 not because of any deep seated love for it, but simply because its easy. Ammo and components are plentiful, bullet selection endless, and I have enough parts on hand to make ammo for life. I had really wanted a Howa Alpine, but just couldnt make myself spend that money on an impulse. When the Kimber Hunter came out, I was sold...until i picked one up. I happened across a mid 90s Seven Stainless Synthetic....and for whatever reason, everything seemed to jive. Ended up buying a different one from a seller here....had delivered two days before deer rifle opener last year, threw a spare Burris I had on it, and sighted it in with some stuff I had in the cabinet. It went from seller to killing a very nice 8pt opening morning....and I cant think of a reason why this isnt the perfect rifle for me.

I may eventually put a stock on it, but the synthetic that is came in actually isnt a bad stock.
Posted By: Adamjp Re: Remington model 7 - 05/07/18
My Model 7 came from the factory with the 18.5in barrel in 243. I managed to find a factory 7-08 barrel off a Titanium which is the ultralight profile but has the 22in length. When fitted to a nice light Wildcat Composites stock and scoped with a 2-7x36 Kahles CL it is a great little deer rifle that comes in a about 6.5lbs.

I would buy one in 7mm or 300 SAUM and do the same thing again.

Attached picture Complete SM.jpg
Posted By: fourbore Re: Remington model 7 - 05/07/18
I have one, back from when they first came out. I had to try it, such a radical departure from the clunkers of the time. Mine is 7mm-08 with the shorter 18.8" barrel. It handles and carries like dream. I like the barrel length and dont understand why they are longer now. Could it be the recoil of the 308? Noise? They are all loud. That is ok, I got mine. A real good looker too.

One thing to watch for is the old model only has 3 screws drilled and tapped. That takes a one piece scope base. Not a lot of options when I set mine up. I see now they have 4 screws. I also see the current Remington have a heavy laminated stock. Heavy stock and long barrels, idiots miss the whole point of the model 7.

The one thing you can always count on: If any maker gets a great idea for a new firearm it will have a life cycle. Initial bugs or refinement, glory days and finally get dumb down for the masses or cheeped out by new management. I can see today, the Model 7 is a trim little action to build a custom rifle around. If Remington ever gets its act together this will be a model to watch for.

You all know, the Model 7 is a reduced diameter (small ring) action that is sized for 308 family or smaller rounds. The belted magnums will not fit. That results in the "potential" for a light rifle.

This would be a natural for the 6.5 creedmore. That is very popular but the barrel is never long enough for the CM shooters or newbies. I would like to see a 6.5 Grindel in the model 7. The later would be a sweet little gun. And maybe the masses would be ok with an 18.5" barrel for the 6.5G. Again, not a big deal to me. I expect CZ will eventually offer a carbine in 6.5G.
Posted By: mathman Re: Remington model 7 - 05/07/18
[quote=fourbore]

You all know, the Model 7 is a reduced diameter (small ring) action that is sized for 308 family or smaller rounds. The belted magnums will not fit. That results in the "potential" for a light rifle.

Not so. The 7 came in 350 Rem. mag, which, while short, is belted mag diameter.
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: Remington model 7 - 05/07/18
It would be a great setup. I have 3 Model Seven SS rifles. Two are 7 SAUM with 22" barrels and one is a new 7-08 with a 20" barrel.

They are handy little rifles that are well balanced and have been very accurate for me.
Posted By: SurlyBob Re: Remington model 7 - 05/11/18
I only have 2, both SS. I took my biggest whitetail to date with the 260. The other is in 300 SAUM that I haven't played with yet. I'm a fan.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Remington model 7 - 05/11/18
[Linked Image]

This is my truck/UTV/knockabout rifle. Model 7 in 223, with Burris 3X9. It shoots any weight bullet that I've tried in it good enough to be a coyote killer out to 300 yards
Posted By: fourbore Re: Remington model 7 - 05/11/18
Originally Posted by mathman
[quote=fourbore]

Not so. The 7 came in 350 Rem. mag, which, while short, is belted mag diameter.

I had to read up. I have a model 7. It is my only Remington. So; you are right. it seems they reduce the length and weight, but; kept enough for the magnums. Unlike Kimber.

Good to know, I can avoid future embarrassment and miss information. I have been spouting this baloney in black letters for years and no one called me on it.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Remington model 7 - 09/14/20
Any opinions on the Model 7 SS HS ...
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Remington model 7 - 09/14/20

I think that they are over-priced, but if you like the stocks then they might be OK. I don't care for H-S stocks, so I'd be buying it for the barreled action and that would not be a good value for me.

I think that there are better values out there if you have time to look around. I'd probably opt for a Kimber Hunter if I was looking for a new short, light, rifle, as they are regularly in the new gun racks at our local Scheel's store for between $600 and $700.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Remington model 7 - 09/14/20

I came very close to buying one a month or so ago. I was going to buy one chambered in 243. Then I found a Nosler Liberty in 6 Creed for very slightly more money and ordered it. It is back at Nosler now being repaired.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Remington model 7 - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by Adamjp
My Model 7 came from the factory with the 18.5in barrel in 243. I managed to find a factory 7-08 barrel off a Titanium which is the ultralight profile but has the 22in length. When fitted to a nice light Wildcat Composites stock and scoped with a 2-7x36 Kahles CL it is a great little deer rifle that comes in a about 6.5lbs.

I would buy one in 7mm or 300 SAUM and do the same thing again.

Nice rifle .... I like those WC stocks.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Remington model 7 - 09/15/20
I bought one in 223 when they came to market. Mine was accurate. I liked it.
My brother got one in 308 a year later. He liked it. I didn't. I shoot better than he does so I always did our sighting in. The recoil from his rifle was harsh.
I regularly hunt now with a 300 Wby and a 35 Whelen. They don't seem as harsh as that 7 308 was.
Posted By: BrowningGuy88 Re: Remington model 7 - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I bought one in 223 when they came to market. Mine was accurate. I liked it.
My brother got one in 308 a year later. He liked it. I didn't. I shoot better than he does so I always did our sighting in. The recoil from his rifle was harsh.
I regularly hunt now with a 300 Wby and a 35 Whelen. They don't seem as harsh as that 7 308 was.

That's funny. It's odd how rifles can be like that. I have BAR in 30-06 that is just flat painful to shoot to me, but most folks don't have an issue with it.

My M7 308 doesn't seem harsh at all.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Remington model 7 - 09/17/20

I bought one.... too good of a deal to pass up.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Remington model 7 - 09/17/20

I bought one.... too good of a deal to pass up.

Did you get a 308? Where'd you score a good deal?
A 308. New in the box for $800. Last one ,the shop Wanted it gone.
Kinda up in the air on a scope. I’m thinking a Leupold 1.5-5 or Leupold 4x. I hate big scopes on small rifles.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Remington model 7 - 09/17/20
Bought the GF an HS stock version in 7mm-08 the other day, to hopefully supercede her Marlin xs7 (also 7mm-08). Mountain use. The latter is a good shooter, but can save her a bit of carry weight this way. Waiting on rings yet. Going 4x leup.
© 24hourcampfire