Home
Posted By: heldfast 6.5 question - 06/16/18
BLUF: looking at a 6.5 for a multipurpose rifle for hunting edible game in the lower 48 and AK. Why 6.5? Four decades of shooting heavy caliber, a few combat tours, and an IED later and I just don't like recoil anymore. I've cleaned out the armory, passed along everything bigger than 223 to the kids and their families. But they all like to hunt, and want Pop to go with them (and I am happy to oblige) so I'm looking at the 6.5s. Never fired one. I'm drawn to the Swede for the option to load heavy, but I read on here that the 260 and the Creed perform just as well in a shorter case. So I'd be happy to hear your suggestions for a fella that'll put a few hundred a year through it (I like to shoot, load and cast as well) but may only hunt once or twice a year on edible game in the lower 48 and Alaska. And if you want to chime in on the rifle, I'm looking at CZ, Tikka and Howa in that order. Thanks!
Posted By: RickBin Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
Don't know your budget, but if it were me, and it was ONE rifle, I'd do a Barrett Fieldcraft in 7-08, but seeing as you specified 6.5, then the Creedmoor it is.

Fieldcraft in Creedmoor. You deserve it.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
You couldn't go wrong with the Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor or the 6.5x55 but I would lean more towards the Creedmoor due to the better availability of factory ammo
I really like the stocks, triggers, magazines,and scope mounting on the tikka, and the accuracy is a bonus.
I would avoid the Howa because they feel heavy and clumsy to me and I don't like the feel of the CZs either
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
Heldfast,

1) Welcome to the 'Fire. I like both your handle and your signature line.

2) Thank you for your service.

3) I am a 6.5x55 fan. Do not own a 6.5 Creedmoor. However, unless you plan to reload, the practical answer to your question is 6.5 Creedmoor. As of 5 minutes ago, MidwayUSA had more than double the number of ammo options available for 6.5 CM than .260 and 6.5x55 COMBINED.

Good luck in your search...
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
If I were going with a 6.5 .... I would opt for the Swede.
Years back, I went with the 6.5x284 and really love it. But the Swede can kill all the same
animals (that has been proven over and over) and it has been here for a while and will continue to be.
The 260 is a really cool and effective round but did not get the love I was expecting and I am not
sure the Creedmore is for me or near immortal as the Swede.

I just acquired an older R77RL in 257 Bob. I have had the same in 308 for 26 years. Love em. Carry like
a 22 and kill big stuff. That Bob is all I need and fills a .25 hole for me, but it would be way cool in a Swede also.
Just my rambling thoughts.

heldfast--Thanks so much for your service to your country and enjoy that family (and a Swede).
Tim
Posted By: texken Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
like above about the 6.5, but you should look at the 7-08 ballistics
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
Thank you for your service, Tikka’s are a great buy.
Posted By: heldfast Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
Originally Posted by RickBin
Don't know your budget, but if it were me, and it was ONE rifle, I'd do a Barrett Fieldcraft in 7-08,

Originally Posted by texken
like above about the 6.5, but you should look at the 7-08 ballistics

Since you mention it, I started out looking for a 7-08, and wrote Henry to ask when they plan to release the Long Ranger in that caliber. But one of the primary applications of this rifle will be Alaska Moose (daughter married a sled neck from Alaska), and when you mention 7-08 and AK Moose in the same sentence, folks start talking about bow hunting distances. But the Swede is a legendary moose slayer ... yeah, I don't get it. But all that aside, the 6.5 is calling me and I must go.

Sounds like the 260 Rem doesn't even get an honorable mention and the choice is really Swede or Creed; what's a good heavy Creed load for Moose?

I will check out the Barrett, thanks!
Posted By: mistem Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
I’m a Swede fan. I have a blued and a stainless in Tikka, both are super accurate, light,I really like the ergo’s of the T3 & T3x’s. As mentioned , in order to get the ture benefit of the Swede- one would have to reload for it. 6.5 Creedmoor would be my choice if I didn’t reload. I currently own a Forbes model 24B in 270 win or this rifle in 6.5 Swede would be in my safe.Forbes 24 B in 6.5 Swede
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
If you reload, the 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, and 6.5x55 can use all of the same bullets, assuming that the barrels all have the same ROT, and the case capacities aren't sufficiently different as to make a significant/practical difference in velocity potential. I currently have at least 40 rifles chambers for these 3 cartridges and think that the rifle that you chose is more important than which of these "3 peas in a pod" cartridges you chose.

If you're looking at the Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd suggest looking at the Weatherby Weatherguard too. Same action, better stock (IMO), and Cerakoted.

Howa 1500s in 6.5x55 are generally throated for long bullets which may, or may not, be of interest or concern to you.

All that said, a common as dirt 270 would do everything that the 3 amigos would do and do it both easier and cheaper most of the time.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
Since you mentioned the 6.5x55, you might take a hard look at the Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5x55.

Barrett did a great job of matching the twist, barrel contour, and cartridge to magazine box length with their 6.5x55, all in a rifle that won't kick overly hard. Though the Barret is a light rifle, so there will be some recoil when loaded to the round's potential, but that's going to apply to any of the lighter rifles with any of the rounds you mentioned.

If casting for such a rifle, I'd be tempted to try one of Lee's 170 grain molds, which is a custom shop offering.
Posted By: DLSguide Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
I have a couple gun safes filled with guns of all calibers. Last year ended up with a two 6.5 Creedmoors. One a Browning and the other a Kimber hunter. I really like shooting them because they are accurate and just no recoil at all. So, I hunted solely with them last Fall and Killed 2 elk and 1 deer with the 6.5 and was pretty happy with the results. By the way I own a 7mm-08 too, but I do think the 6.5 is easier to shoot. It is pretty hard to impress me, but the creedmoor did with the ease of shooting. Don't get me wrong, I still think the 30-06 and 270 are good too.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
I just re-connected with a laminated T3x 6.5CM and had it at the range yesterday. Very easy to shoot. Using a 143gr. ELD-X, I put five shots in an inch at 100 in under two minutes. Just wanted to see how the rifle responded as the barrel started to get warm. 41.5gr. of H4350 yielded 2585 fps - about 100 fps less than "book speed" - which is typical. I may creep a bit to get into the mid-2600's - we'll see.
I'd post a photo but PB is still crapola and the instructions for the one here makes no sense.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
I'd choose based on the rifle I wanted, but since it sounds like you don't load at this point, the Creedmoor makes the most sense now, and certainly gives you the most rifle options.
Posted By: szihn Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
Match the cartridge to the rifle magazine length of the weapon you like best. The ballistics of all 3 are so close that there really is nothing to choose between.
I would say stick with a 1-8" twist in anything you get however.

The CM was made to use the longest bullets in the shortest magazine and does 98% of what the Swede will do in the standard Mauser length magazines. If you like semi-autos, or rifles (like the Ruger Precision or Mossberg MVP) that use mags made for semi-autos, the CM is definitely the best choice.

The 260 is in-between. The problem with most 260s is the fact that the magazines can be shorter then they need to be for the cartridge in deference to the mass produced factory parts that exist on the production lines. We in the USMC used the 308 length mags from 1965 to this day on our M40s and all it's variants. The Army saw a better way and used the 30-06 length mags on it's M21 so they could seat longer bullets easier and not loose powder capacity. The same dynamic exists for making up a 260. If you get a rifle with any magazine longer then the NATO length 7.62 size, the 260 is as good as any.

The "grand old man" is the Swede. That's what "set the bar". Both the CM and the 260 are trying to match the Swede in cartridge performance. From all practical purposes they both do too.
Loads for the 6.5X55 are down loaded to be safe in the older M94 actions, but the strongest of the 96s and the 98s, as well as all American and Japanese actions are easily able to take top loads with lots of strength left. These same actions can easily handle the thrust and pressure of a 257 Weatherby mag. PPU makes brass as good as any I have used from any maker in the USA or the world, and it's actually cheaper then WW brass. I have read reports that it's "hard to get' yet every single time I have needed any I have made a phone call and it was on it's way the same day. To be sure I was not going to get caught in my own words here, I just checked Graf and Sons to be extra sure and 7 out of 7 are available at the time I write this.
Down side.................. None I can really think of.

If you demand a short action the 260 or the CM will fit your requirements better, but having made rifles for over 40 years now, I have yet to see that the "short action' is really any better at anything anywhere. It's theoretical, and LOTS of people tried the theory for the last 40 years, yet if you look to the 1000 yard competitions the shoots done at over 1000 yards, most of the best shooters are again using long or magnum length actions. and the record scores at the end of each year have not gone backwards.
I made a whole bunch of rifles on short action in the last 40 years and a lot of them on standard and long actions too. You know what I have found is the difference in accuracy?

Nothing!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: VernAK Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
Don't know your budget, but if it were me, and it was ONE rifle, I'd do a Barrett Fieldcraft in 7-08, but seeing as you specified 6.5, then the Creedmoor it is.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: RBO Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
Get the Creedmoor imo.

The Swede has been killing moose for a hundred years and the next hundred years the creed will be doing it.

Guys will argue that the Swede is proven and with today's rifles chambered in the 6.5 Swede that once you load them up to the max pressure that the creed can't compare. So what? The swedes were know as moose killers way before they started making modern firearms chambered in 6.5 Swede. They were killing moose with a 140gr bullet traveling at a meager 2400fps.

You'll hear the Swede fans first say how it's been proven over the past century as a moose killer, then when you mention to them that the Creedmoor's factory ammo is faster grain for grain than the Swede, they'll tell you how fast they get their handloads flying not realizing that the century old Swede made its reputation at 52,000psi, not 60,000.

If you had a Swede sitting in the closet I'd say use it, but if you're buying new the Creedmoor seems like a no brainer to me.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 6.5 question - 06/16/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Since you mentioned the 6.5x55, you might take a hard look at the Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5x55.

Barrett did a great job of matching the twist, barrel contour, and cartridge to magazine box length with their 6.5x55, all in a rifle that won't kick overly hard. Though the Barret is a light rifle, so there will be some recoil when loaded to the round's potential, but that's going to apply to any of the lighter rifles with any of the rounds you mentioned.

If casting for such a rifle, I'd be tempted to try one of Lee's 170 grain molds, which is a custom shop offering.

Yep, PG is on the mark. The FC 6.5x55 hit everything perfect. The FC 6.5 CM did as well with the exception of the barrel being a little lighter than I prefer.
Posted By: RinB Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
The most important question is “what is best for you” not everyone else. The 6.5 CM is easiest considering factory ammo, brass, and dies. Also the reloading data is pretty consistent and there are many good recipes. This is a function of uniform chamber dimensions and modern design.

In contrast there isn’t much of a selection of ammo for the 6.5-55. Since it is an old military cartridge there are many different chamber dimensions so the reloading data is not consistent. Therefore, there are no commonly agreed upon accuracy recipes.

I doubt you could tell the difference for moose hunting between either 6.5 and the 7-08. I suggest a 130 TTSX or 140 Partition for moose.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
You can split hairs til the cows come home and end up with precious little difference and that mostly on paper. Get the one that puts a smile on your face. Me? I'd go with the Swede but that's just me. If it ain't old I ain't interested in it.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
In your shoes the choice would be easy for me. 6.5 CM.

The rifle I can't help you with.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
Barrett FC in 6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
Or you could just go the 308 Win way, have a thousand factory loaded rounds available world wide from 110 grain - 200 grain loadings, hand load from multitudes of recorded data and take game from 70 lbs-1200 lbs. Doesn't really get any more versatile than that. Factory rifles are quite abundant wherever you may shop.
Posted By: lhead71 Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
I have two swedes, a Tikka T3 lite and a newly purchased FC. Hands down quality wise I would buy the FC over and over. They are both superbly accurate, I get 3025 fps from a 140gr Berger, loaded to 59K PSI. The most accurate factory offering for the swede in my FC is the Norma 156 gr Alaska. 3 shots in well under a half inch, 2550 fps, but I prefer to hand load for a bit more oomph.

I have a Tikka T3 ultralight in 260 rem, I bought the new M+ magazines and can seat bullets out and it has proven a really great round and very accurate with just about all weights of bullets.

And I have 6.5 creed in a RAR, RPR and a CTR, with the 20” CTR being an amazing piece of accurate machinery, routinely placing 5 rounds in a half inch or so with 140 gr ELD’s.

Now having said all that, If I had to choose just one do it all hunting rifle, from a quality and accuracy department, and you want 6.5 caliber. I would buy a Barrett FC in 6.5 swede or CM if you prefer short action and a shorter barrel.
Posted By: lhead71 Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
Recoil wise the 7/08 FC is pretty easy on the shoulder. I can’t tell much difference between the swede or it. And if you want factory ammo loaded to some potential, that is the way to go.
Posted By: heldfast Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
I am not shopping for the best caliber, just the best 6.5 caliber of 3 very specific ones ... thanks all!

Originally Posted by szihn
Match the cartridge to the rifle magazine length of the weapon you like best. The ballistics of all 3 are so close that there really is nothing to choose between.
I would say stick with a 1-8" twist in anything you get however.

The CM was made to use the longest bullets in the shortest magazine and does 98% of what the Swede will do in the standard Mauser length magazines. If you like semi-autos, or rifles (like the Ruger Precision or Mossberg MVP) that use mags made for semi-autos, the CM is definitely the best choice.

The 260 is in-between. The problem with most 260s is the fact that the magazines can be shorter then they need to be for the cartridge in deference to the mass produced factory parts that exist on the production lines. We in the USMC used the 308 length mags from 1965 to this day on our M40s and all it's variants. The Army saw a better way and used the 30-06 length mags on it's M21 so they could seat longer bullets easier and not loose powder capacity. The same dynamic exists for making up a 260. If you get a rifle with any magazine longer then the NATO length 7.62 size, the 260 is as good as any.

The "grand old man" is the Swede. That's what "set the bar". Both the CM and the 260 are trying to match the Swede in cartridge performance. From all practical purposes they both do too.
Loads for the 6.5X55 are down loaded to be safe in the older M94 actions, but the strongest of the 96s and the 98s, as well as all American and Japanese actions are easily able to take top loads with lots of strength left. These same actions can easily handle the thrust and pressure of a 257 Weatherby mag. PPU makes brass as good as any I have used from any maker in the USA or the world, and it's actually cheaper then WW brass. I have read reports that it's "hard to get' yet every single time I have needed any I have made a phone call and it was on it's way the same day. To be sure I was not going to get caught in my own words here, I just checked Graf and Sons to be extra sure and 7 out of 7 are available at the time I write this.
Down side.................. None I can really think of.

If you demand a short action the 260 or the CM will fit your requirements better, but having made rifles for over 40 years now, I have yet to see that the "short action' is really any better at anything anywhere. It's theoretical, and LOTS of people tried the theory for the last 40 years, yet if you look to the 1000 yard competitions the shoots done at over 1000 yards, most of the best shooters are again using long or magnum length actions. and the record scores at the end of each year have not gone backwards.
I made a whole bunch of rifles on short action in the last 40 years and a lot of them on standard and long actions too. You know what I have found is the difference in accuracy?

Nothing!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate your post - you hit a lot of my unasked questions in short order. The part in bold is the trick - I don't have a bolt action rifle platform I prefer. But the replies have given me a few ideas to sample. Thanks!
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
I have 2-6.5X47Lapua hunting rifles, a 6.5CM, and a 260. I have hunted the 6.5X47L a lot and like it. My CM is new to me and I haven't even fired it yet. The 260 was my go to several years ago and it would kill. All we have here to hunt is White Tail and hogs. I think with my experience I would pick any of them and they will work, but you would need to reload. I've had the 6.5X284 and the 6.5X55. They were good rifles, but you know if you don't feel a love-move on.
I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18

6.5 Creedmoor. Don't NEED to buy an expensive one, but great if you can afford it. Ruger American Predator...excellent rifle.

Christensen Arms Ridgeline...even better. Available in a 6.5 - 284 Norma, 6.5 Creedmoor and I believe 6.5 - 300 Weatherby.
Posted By: TREE_EM Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
If you handload, 6.5X55 handles heavier bullets better.
If you don’t handload 6.5 CM gets the nod for ammo availability.

Consider building on a Mexican Mauser or Vz 33 Mauser for a 6.5X55
Consider a Ruger Hawkeye for the 6.5CM

My friend Sam killed damn near every big game animal on earth with a sporterized Swedeish Mauser up to and including Elephant.
Posted By: Mac284338 Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
I wanted a reasonably heavy 24" stainless bbl on my 6.5 CM and I went with a slick Sako A7. Factory Roughtech stock too heavy to enjoy so I put in a custom McMillan to save weight (should be back to me soon). Could have gone cheaper or lighter but wanted to check all my boxes. Loading 142 ABLR at 2725-2750 and I expect same or better accuracy as before stock change. 69 years and two prosthetic legs with kids/grandkids who want me there dictates the low recoil set-up you strive for. Good luck.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
If someone already owns a 260 or 6.5X55 and they like it there is no reason to change to 6.5 CM. But if you don't already own one there is no reason to choose anything but the 6.5 CM. There is nothing a 7-08 or 308 does better than a 6.5 CM. But once again if someone owns a 308 or 7-08 and likes it there isn't much of an advantage until you get beyond normal ranges. But even at normal ranges the best you can say about 7-08 or 308 is that there isn't enough difference to matter other than recoil. And that is enough reason to choose the 6.5 over 7-08 or 308 for many.

I'm heavily invested in 308 and 30-06 and have several rifles that I really like and have no plans to sell. I bought the cheapest 6.5 CM that I felt would give me decent accuracy just to see what the fuss was all about a year ago. A Ruger Predator. I've shot it enough to say the CM with 140-147 gr bullets spanks 308 or 7-08 with 140-150 gr bullets and with about 25% less recoil. Moving up to 175-180 gr bullets the 7-08 or 308 will just about match the 6.5 in penetration and the trajectories are similar out to 400-500 yards. Beyond that the 6.5 pulls away.
Posted By: buttstock Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
Whenever I see a post about a 6.5 whatever, I think, “Why not a 270 Winchester?”

I have nothing against the 6.5 / .260 cartridges ( the 6.5 x47 Lapua intrigues me the most of the group), but the 270 Win has been doing the “ long range, flat shooting, low recoil” thing for 80 years. Ammo is everywhere for it.

It is just plain silly to ignore the 270 Winchester, and go right to the 6.5/.260 as “the answer.”
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18

Good point on the .270, especially for hunting.
Posted By: Mac284338 Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
Silly to you is called preference to others who actually "need" a few less pounds of recoil...
Posted By: sidepass Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
Originally Posted by buttstock
Whenever I see a post about a 6.5 whatever, I think, “Why not a 270 Winchester?”

I have nothing against the 6.5 / .260 cartridges ( the 6.5 x47 Lapua intrigues me the most of the group), but the 270 Win has been doing the “ long range, flat shooting, low recoil” thing for 80 years. Ammo is everywhere for it.

It is just plain silly to ignore the 270 Winchester, and go right to the 6.5/.260 as “the answer.”

Nothing silly about it at all. The 260,6.5 Creed and the 6.5x47 have less recoil . Opinions are like azzholes everyone has one.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: 6.5 question - 06/17/18
Get a 6.5 x55 Swede,
The one that started it all
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: 6.5 question - 06/18/18
heldfast,
First, thanks for your service! As you are looking for a 6.5CM that will be your multi-species rifle, I say you are down to two choices. A Tikka T3x stainless or blue in the $650 range versus a Barrett Fieldcraft in the area of $1600.
You stated you didn't want to contend with recoil and while there are a couple others that are minimal, this one is very minimal. I plan on using my Tikka this fall for my bull elk hunt and a caribou hunt. There is a fellow here from Alaska who posted recently that he and his wife have taken 16 big game animals so far. So the 6.5 is up to the task if you do your part. Good luck and keep us posted with your decision.
Posted By: whitearrow Re: 6.5 question - 06/18/18
first off you have great taste in rifles imho. IF you can go fondle the 3 you mentioned that would be a great start but if not here is my opinion of the 3. first off the 3 you are considering all have great accuracy potential as I own all 3 and get sub 1" groups @ 100 yds from all 3 brands. the tikka will be the lightest and smoothest and possibly the most accurate. the howa/vanguard will be heavy for caliber but just as accurate, the CZ will also be heavier than a comparably equipped tikka but not be as smooth if looking for the no longer made 550. now the new 557,push feed, is smoother than its 550 controlled round feed brother and also very accurate but again heavier than a tikka. if you like walnut/blued steel CZ is your rifle. alas, I have to agree with the herd that say the cm will be the best option if you don't hand load or online order. since the cm is the flavor of choice lately errbody loads for it with some great bullets atop their brass. I personally like the 260 rem and the 6.5x55 swede. but, I'm not much of a follower of the new cm legion. I did my own research and am happy to be the only guy in camp that shoots a 260 rem or 6.5 swede personally. again, nothing at all wrong with the 6.5 creedmoor. I just can't seem to warm up to it when I have the other 2 and they shoot so well.
good luck and you are on the right path brother,
Big Ed
Posted By: bluestem Re: 6.5 question - 06/18/18
Get a Swede.

Way cooler and in a recent university study, it was shown that Swede owners get laid more often than Crudmore and 260 guys.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5 question - 06/18/18

Good advice.

I have a Swede, a Creed a 6.5-284 and a 7-08, all with premium barrels; I like'em all.

I don't have a Fieldcraft, but would be looking for one if I wasn't already well supplied...

OP never said if he was a reloader. If not, the 6.5 CM makes a lot of sense, great ammo at a good price on dealer's shelves with enough variations to cover about any situation. For a factory rifle with OTC ammo, it's hard to beat the out of the box consistency of the Creed with a multitude of ammo.

7-08 120 NBT factory ammo consistently shoots sub inch (closer to half inch) out of my Bobby Hart built, M-700. But IME, the Creed, across the board, will more consistently shoot tight groups with a multitude of factory ammo than most rounds. And, with the right ammo it's an effective killer.

Given all that, I did use my 7-08 more than the others this past season.

DF
Posted By: mathman Re: 6.5 question - 06/18/18
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

7-08 120 NBT factory ammo consistently shoots sub inch (closer to half inch) out of my Bobby Hart built, M-700. ...

DF

Pretty likely you could find something to shoot well out of that one.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5 question - 06/18/18
Originally Posted by mathman

7-08 120 NBT factory ammo consistently shoots sub inch (closer to half inch) out of my Bobby Hart built, M-700. ...

DF

Pretty likely you could find something to shoot well out of that one.

Yep.

Traded for it here on the Fire. It had a McM Hunter stock; I like the Hunters Edge more. So, I sold that stock, bought a Hunters Edge here on the Fire Store, glassed it then sent it back to McM for paint. It came with a Timney trigger, I mounted a Conquest 3-9x40 with turret in Talley LW's. It's a keeper.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: z1r Re: 6.5 question - 06/18/18
There is so little practical difference between the 6.5x55, .260 Rem and 6.5 Creed, in factory loads, that I would say, pick the rifle that best suits you and buy it in whichever 6.5mm they chamber it for.

Handloading does tend to favor the 6.5x55 and some rifles use a standard length action so you can, as you said, load heavies to their full potential.

My favorite low recoil, will handle 90% of the game I am likely to shoot, rifle is my 6.5 Grendel on a CZ 527 action. My favorite lightweight, full power rifle is my Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creed. I like that one because, as many have already pointed out, there is a vast assortment of reasonably priced factory ammo available. Oh, and it shoots pretty darn good too.

I own and shoot 6.5's in the Grendel, .260, .6.5 Creed, 6.5x55, 6.5-06, and 6.5x65. I started both my boys at age 8 on the 6.5x55. I loaded 100 grain BT's at 2700 fps and my youngest killed a massive 250 lb PA whitetail with that load. They have since graduated on to full power loads.

If I had to choose one, I'd keep my custom 98 in 6.5x55. But I could live with any "one" of my 6.5's if I had to.
Posted By: heldfast Re: 6.5 question - 06/18/18
Originally Posted by z1r
There is so little practical difference between the 6.5x55, .260 Rem and 6.5 Creed, in factory loads, that I would say, pick the rifle that best suits you and buy it in whichever 6.5mm they chamber it for.

Handloading does tend to favor the 6.5x55 and some rifles use a standard length action so you can, as you said, load heavies to their full potential.

My favorite low recoil, will handle 90% of the game I am likely to shoot, rifle is my 6.5 Grendel on a CZ 527 action. My favorite lightweight, full power rifle is my Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creed. I like that one because, as many have already pointed out, there is a vast assortment of reasonably priced factory ammo available. Oh, and it shoots pretty darn good too.

I own and shoot 6.5's in the Grendel, .260, .6.5 Creed, 6.5x55, 6.5-06, and 6.5x65. I started both my boys at age 8 on the 6.5x55. I loaded 100 grain BT's at 2700 fps and my youngest killed a massive 250 lb PA whitetail with that load. They have since graduated on to full power loads.

If I had to choose one, I'd keep my custom 98 in 6.5x55. But I could live with any "one" of my 6.5's if I had to.

I do handload (and cast) so I have some powder and primers to start with, and will probably look to trade off some brass for whatever 6.5 I settle in on. I like to shoot, so I can see having some fun developing loads up and down the spectrum of the cartridge's capacity. Given you have such a collection of 6.5s, including the Grendel, have you found a common powder or bullets you can use across the different calibers? Is there a difference in brass life, etc.? I'm not a "box a year" shooter, especially since I've gotten out of collecting firearms, calibers and wildcatting. The fun for me now is to thoroughly work with a single firearm to our fullest potential, which requires range time and reloading IMO.

I've played a little with the Grendel in a 527 and Howa Mini - that's a fun caliber for a shooter, and probably great for most hunting in the lower 48!
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 6.5 question - 06/19/18
heldfast,
Suggestion FWIW; go to bullets.com, buy this Lapua factory 6.5x55 ammo, shoot 100-200 rounds to break in the barrel and get it up to speed, then use the excellent Lapua Brass that was fireformed to your rifle to handload.

http://www.bullets.com/products/6-5x55-SE-100-Grain-Scenar-HPBT-Ammo-Box-of-50/BL11012

Good luck!
Posted By: heldfast Re: 6.5 question - 06/19/18
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
heldfast,
Suggestion FWIW; go to bullets.com, buy this Lapua factory 6.5x55 ammo, shoot 100-200 rounds to break in the barrel and get it up to speed, then use the excellent Lapua Brass that was fireformed to your rifle to handload.

http://www.bullets.com/products/6-5x55-SE-100-Grain-Scenar-HPBT-Ammo-Box-of-50/BL11012

Good luck!

Great tip - thanks!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 6.5 question - 06/19/18
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service. You really can't make a bad choice between the three. They all do the same thing. If buying ammo over the counter, the Creedmoor has the availability advantage. I have a Howa in 6.5x55, and in factory form it is too heavy. As it sits now in a McMillan stock, it is fantastic. I also have two 6.5 Creedmoor rifles that do what they are supposed to do. I handload, so I can kinda take them where I want them with my loads. With the three manufacturers and the three chamberings you listed it's Tikka in a 6.5 Creedmoor all day long.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5 question - 06/19/18
heldfast,

Good luck!

Dyna Bore coat the barrel, shoot it, forget about "break in".

IMO.

DF
Posted By: z1r Re: 6.5 question - 06/19/18
One powder I have found that works well in the Creed, the .260, and the 6.5x55 is RL15. It works well with lighter to mid-weight bullets. For heavier bullets the 6.5x55 prefers a slower powder. I haven't reloaded the Grendel enough to say yet but due to its capacity it likes powders that don't work as well in the others. The loads I mentioned my sons using were crafted using RL15 and shot sub moa in both their rifles.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5 question - 06/19/18
There is interesting data with RL-26 and heavy bullets in the Swede.

I'm going to load the 147 ELD-M over RL-26, some recommend 50 gr.

That could be a good combo, reportedly accurate and fast. IIRC, QL has RL-26 as fastest powder.

DF
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 6.5 question - 06/19/18
I do not have a Swede, but I do own a .260 and a Creed. I like them both, but favor the Creed, as it handles the long bullets a bit better. Both are great killers and very accurate. If I decided that I could not live without a Swede, it would be in the AI version, to take advantage of the longer magazine etc. A standard Swede is no big deal and is not noticeably better than the short action .260, or Creed. The AI definitely makes the longer action Swede a contender, though, but then again, if I wanted a long action 6.5, I would get my '06 re-barreled to 6.5x06.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 6.5 question - 06/20/18
heldfast,

Good luck!

Dyna Bore coat the barrel, shoot it, forget about "break in".

IMO.

DF

DF,
I’m not big on break in either. Mainly just like to shoot a couple hundred rounds to get the bore up to speed. My Bartleins typically gain speed somewhere between 100 and 200 rounds.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5 question - 06/20/18
I'm a DBC nut as you probably know by now.

Done right, the bore seems pretty slick. After a few firing and cleaning cycles, it gets even slicker and easier to clean.

My premium barrels with DBC just about don't foul. There will be some carbon residue, but little or no fouling. If there is a trace of copper, Wipe Out and a patch will usually remove it. Hardly ever to I have to reapeat that process and I NEVER use brushes on a DBC barrel.

All this info via the Hawkeye, no guessing.

DF
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 6.5 question - 06/21/18

easy enough

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/6.5x55.html

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scottfromdallas Re: 6.5 question - 06/21/18
If you really want a 6.5x55 you will have some solid options. If you are open to the Creedmoor, your options are almost limitless. This is from someone that owns two 6.5x55s (CZ & Ruger).
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 6.5 question - 06/21/18
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
If I were going with a 6.5 .... I would opt for the Swede.
Years back, I went with the 6.5x284 and really love it. But the Swede can kill all the same
animals (that has been proven over and over) and it has been here for a while and will continue to be.
The 260 is a really cool and effective round but did not get the love I was expecting and I am not
sure the Creedmore is for me or near immortal as the Swede.

I just acquired an older R77RL in 257 Bob. I have had the same in 308 for 26 years. Love em. Carry like
a 22 and kill big stuff. That Bob is all I need and fills a .25 hole for me, but it would be way cool in a Swede also.
Just my rambling thoughts.

heldfast--Thanks so much for your service to your country and enjoy that family (and a Swede).
Tim

I don’t think I’ll ever sell my Ruger 77rl tang.
Posted By: vmax204 Re: 6.5 question - 06/22/18
I've been shooting and reloading the 6.5x55 for more than 30 years. Started off with the Carl Gustaff Swedish military rifles and now have 3 modern action rifles. It is very easy to load for and there is an enormous variety of bullets available to choose from. Both the 260 Remington and the 6.5 CM will do almost everything the Swede will do in a short action but I will always keep my Swede. The original 6.5. Good luck with your choice. I'm sure you will be satisfied with whatever you choose.
© 24hourcampfire