-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In your shoes the choice would be easy for me. 6.5 CM.

The rifle I can't help you with.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Barrett FC in 6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Or you could just go the 308 Win way, have a thousand factory loaded rounds available world wide from 110 grain - 200 grain loadings, hand load from multitudes of recorded data and take game from 70 lbs-1200 lbs. Doesn't really get any more versatile than that. Factory rifles are quite abundant wherever you may shop.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have two swedes, a Tikka T3 lite and a newly purchased FC. Hands down quality wise I would buy the FC over and over. They are both superbly accurate, I get 3025 fps from a 140gr Berger, loaded to 59K PSI. The most accurate factory offering for the swede in my FC is the Norma 156 gr Alaska. 3 shots in well under a half inch, 2550 fps, but I prefer to hand load for a bit more oomph.

I have a Tikka T3 ultralight in 260 rem, I bought the new M+ magazines and can seat bullets out and it has proven a really great round and very accurate with just about all weights of bullets.

And I have 6.5 creed in a RAR, RPR and a CTR, with the 20” CTR being an amazing piece of accurate machinery, routinely placing 5 rounds in a half inch or so with 140 gr ELD’s.

Now having said all that, If I had to choose just one do it all hunting rifle, from a quality and accuracy department, and you want 6.5 caliber. I would buy a Barrett FC in 6.5 swede or CM if you prefer short action and a shorter barrel.

Last edited by lhead71; 06/17/18.

Enough already, just shoot it!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Recoil wise the 7/08 FC is pretty easy on the shoulder. I can’t tell much difference between the swede or it. And if you want factory ammo loaded to some potential, that is the way to go.

Enough already, just shoot it!
IC B2

H
OP Offline
H
I am not shopping for the best caliber, just the best 6.5 caliber of 3 very specific ones ... thanks all!

Originally Posted by szihn
Match the cartridge to the rifle magazine length of the weapon you like best. The ballistics of all 3 are so close that there really is nothing to choose between.
I would say stick with a 1-8" twist in anything you get however.

The CM was made to use the longest bullets in the shortest magazine and does 98% of what the Swede will do in the standard Mauser length magazines. If you like semi-autos, or rifles (like the Ruger Precision or Mossberg MVP) that use mags made for semi-autos, the CM is definitely the best choice.

The 260 is in-between. The problem with most 260s is the fact that the magazines can be shorter then they need to be for the cartridge in deference to the mass produced factory parts that exist on the production lines. We in the USMC used the 308 length mags from 1965 to this day on our M40s and all it's variants. The Army saw a better way and used the 30-06 length mags on it's M21 so they could seat longer bullets easier and not loose powder capacity. The same dynamic exists for making up a 260. If you get a rifle with any magazine longer then the NATO length 7.62 size, the 260 is as good as any.

The "grand old man" is the Swede. That's what "set the bar". Both the CM and the 260 are trying to match the Swede in cartridge performance. From all practical purposes they both do too.
Loads for the 6.5X55 are down loaded to be safe in the older M94 actions, but the strongest of the 96s and the 98s, as well as all American and Japanese actions are easily able to take top loads with lots of strength left. These same actions can easily handle the thrust and pressure of a 257 Weatherby mag. PPU makes brass as good as any I have used from any maker in the USA or the world, and it's actually cheaper then WW brass. I have read reports that it's "hard to get' yet every single time I have needed any I have made a phone call and it was on it's way the same day. To be sure I was not going to get caught in my own words here, I just checked Graf and Sons to be extra sure and 7 out of 7 are available at the time I write this.
Down side.................. None I can really think of.

If you demand a short action the 260 or the CM will fit your requirements better, but having made rifles for over 40 years now, I have yet to see that the "short action' is really any better at anything anywhere. It's theoretical, and LOTS of people tried the theory for the last 40 years, yet if you look to the 1000 yard competitions the shoots done at over 1000 yards, most of the best shooters are again using long or magnum length actions. and the record scores at the end of each year have not gone backwards.
I made a whole bunch of rifles on short action in the last 40 years and a lot of them on standard and long actions too. You know what I have found is the difference in accuracy?

Nothing!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate your post - you hit a lot of my unasked questions in short order. The part in bold is the trick - I don't have a bolt action rifle platform I prefer. But the replies have given me a few ideas to sample. Thanks!

Last edited by heldfast; 06/17/18.

Held Fast
John 10:27-29
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have 2-6.5X47Lapua hunting rifles, a 6.5CM, and a 260. I have hunted the 6.5X47L a lot and like it. My CM is new to me and I haven't even fired it yet. The 260 was my go to several years ago and it would kill. All we have here to hunt is White Tail and hogs. I think with my experience I would pick any of them and they will work, but you would need to reload. I've had the 6.5X284 and the 6.5X55. They were good rifles, but you know if you don't feel a love-move on.
I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

6.5 Creedmoor. Don't NEED to buy an expensive one, but great if you can afford it. Ruger American Predator...excellent rifle.

Christensen Arms Ridgeline...even better. Available in a 6.5 - 284 Norma, 6.5 Creedmoor and I believe 6.5 - 300 Weatherby.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If you handload, 6.5X55 handles heavier bullets better.
If you don’t handload 6.5 CM gets the nod for ammo availability.

Consider building on a Mexican Mauser or Vz 33 Mauser for a 6.5X55
Consider a Ruger Hawkeye for the 6.5CM

My friend Sam killed damn near every big game animal on earth with a sporterized Swedeish Mauser up to and including Elephant.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wanted a reasonably heavy 24" stainless bbl on my 6.5 CM and I went with a slick Sako A7. Factory Roughtech stock too heavy to enjoy so I put in a custom McMillan to save weight (should be back to me soon). Could have gone cheaper or lighter but wanted to check all my boxes. Loading 142 ABLR at 2725-2750 and I expect same or better accuracy as before stock change. 69 years and two prosthetic legs with kids/grandkids who want me there dictates the low recoil set-up you strive for. Good luck.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If someone already owns a 260 or 6.5X55 and they like it there is no reason to change to 6.5 CM. But if you don't already own one there is no reason to choose anything but the 6.5 CM. There is nothing a 7-08 or 308 does better than a 6.5 CM. But once again if someone owns a 308 or 7-08 and likes it there isn't much of an advantage until you get beyond normal ranges. But even at normal ranges the best you can say about 7-08 or 308 is that there isn't enough difference to matter other than recoil. And that is enough reason to choose the 6.5 over 7-08 or 308 for many.

I'm heavily invested in 308 and 30-06 and have several rifles that I really like and have no plans to sell. I bought the cheapest 6.5 CM that I felt would give me decent accuracy just to see what the fuss was all about a year ago. A Ruger Predator. I've shot it enough to say the CM with 140-147 gr bullets spanks 308 or 7-08 with 140-150 gr bullets and with about 25% less recoil. Moving up to 175-180 gr bullets the 7-08 or 308 will just about match the 6.5 in penetration and the trajectories are similar out to 400-500 yards. Beyond that the 6.5 pulls away.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Whenever I see a post about a 6.5 whatever, I think, “Why not a 270 Winchester?”

I have nothing against the 6.5 / .260 cartridges ( the 6.5 x47 Lapua intrigues me the most of the group), but the 270 Win has been doing the “ long range, flat shooting, low recoil” thing for 80 years. Ammo is everywhere for it.

It is just plain silly to ignore the 270 Winchester, and go right to the 6.5/.260 as “the answer.”

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good point on the .270, especially for hunting.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Silly to you is called preference to others who actually "need" a few less pounds of recoil...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by buttstock
Whenever I see a post about a 6.5 whatever, I think, “Why not a 270 Winchester?”

I have nothing against the 6.5 / .260 cartridges ( the 6.5 x47 Lapua intrigues me the most of the group), but the 270 Win has been doing the “ long range, flat shooting, low recoil” thing for 80 years. Ammo is everywhere for it.

It is just plain silly to ignore the 270 Winchester, and go right to the 6.5/.260 as “the answer.”

Nothing silly about it at all. The 260,6.5 Creed and the 6.5x47 have less recoil . Opinions are like azzholes everyone has one.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Get a 6.5 x55 Swede,
The one that started it all

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
heldfast,
First, thanks for your service! As you are looking for a 6.5CM that will be your multi-species rifle, I say you are down to two choices. A Tikka T3x stainless or blue in the $650 range versus a Barrett Fieldcraft in the area of $1600.
You stated you didn't want to contend with recoil and while there are a couple others that are minimal, this one is very minimal. I plan on using my Tikka this fall for my bull elk hunt and a caribou hunt. There is a fellow here from Alaska who posted recently that he and his wife have taken 16 big game animals so far. So the 6.5 is up to the task if you do your part. Good luck and keep us posted with your decision.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
first off you have great taste in rifles imho. IF you can go fondle the 3 you mentioned that would be a great start but if not here is my opinion of the 3. first off the 3 you are considering all have great accuracy potential as I own all 3 and get sub 1" groups @ 100 yds from all 3 brands. the tikka will be the lightest and smoothest and possibly the most accurate. the howa/vanguard will be heavy for caliber but just as accurate, the CZ will also be heavier than a comparably equipped tikka but not be as smooth if looking for the no longer made 550. now the new 557,push feed, is smoother than its 550 controlled round feed brother and also very accurate but again heavier than a tikka. if you like walnut/blued steel CZ is your rifle. alas, I have to agree with the herd that say the cm will be the best option if you don't hand load or online order. since the cm is the flavor of choice lately errbody loads for it with some great bullets atop their brass. I personally like the 260 rem and the 6.5x55 swede. but, I'm not much of a follower of the new cm legion. I did my own research and am happy to be the only guy in camp that shoots a 260 rem or 6.5 swede personally. again, nothing at all wrong with the 6.5 creedmoor. I just can't seem to warm up to it when I have the other 2 and they shoot so well.
good luck and you are on the right path brother,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Get a Swede.

Way cooler and in a recent university study, it was shown that Swede owners get laid more often than Crudmore and 260 guys.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RickBin
Don't know your budget, but if it were me, and it was ONE rifle, I'd do a Barrett Fieldcraft in 7-08, but seeing as you specified 6.5, then the Creedmoor it is.

Fieldcraft in Creedmoor. You deserve it.

Good advice.

I have a Swede, a Creed a 6.5-284 and a 7-08, all with premium barrels; I like'em all.

I don't have a Fieldcraft, but would be looking for one if I wasn't already well supplied...

OP never said if he was a reloader. If not, the 6.5 CM makes a lot of sense, great ammo at a good price on dealer's shelves with enough variations to cover about any situation. For a factory rifle with OTC ammo, it's hard to beat the out of the box consistency of the Creed with a multitude of ammo.

7-08 120 NBT factory ammo consistently shoots sub inch (closer to half inch) out of my Bobby Hart built, M-700. But IME, the Creed, across the board, will more consistently shoot tight groups with a multitude of factory ammo than most rounds. And, with the right ammo it's an effective killer.

Given all that, I did use my 7-08 more than the others this past season.

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,115
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.