Home
Well I sold my model 7 308 and am moving on to another set up. Had my eye on a 700 mountain rifle in 7-08 for a while. For under $1000 it seems to be lightweight, looks good, and is cheaper than a Kimber Montana that I’ve also been eye balling. Any opinions from personal experience would be appreciated.
I’d do a Tikka T3 SL before a new Remington. Buy the time you put a decent trigger in the Remington and probably some bedding and such to make it right. The Kimber might seem more but again, once you put a great trigger on the Remington you’re still stuck with their stock whereas the Kimber seems much better from the get go.
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’d do a Tikka T3 SL before a new Remington. Buy the time you put a decent trigger in the Remington and probably some bedding and such to make it right. The Kimber might seem more but again, once you put a great trigger on the Remington you’re still stuck with their stock whereas the Kimber seems much better from the get go.

+1
I’d do the Remington. I much prefer the stock geometry to that of the Tikka.
I thought of the tikkas also, I’ve had a few in the last 5 years. All of them were excellent shooters, I just didn’t care for the cheap feel of the stock, and a replacement would put me in the Montana price range.
And the Remington stock in the same price range isn’t cheap?

Yes it is.

Just buy the Fieldcraft and cry once.
Talk you out of it.......

I'd get the 700 Mtn Rifle in 270 Win. whistle

The 7-08 is a 270 wannabe wink
laugh

IMO There's nothing wrong with the Mountain Rife OR 7-08. Since you don't care for the Tikka stock.? ? ?
what's the problem?

You only have to satisfy YOURSELF.

Good Luck
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Yes it is.

The new 700 Mountain Rifle has a Bell & Carlson stock, so it's quite a bit nicer than the Tikka factory stocks. Not necessarily a better stock, but the B&Cs are nicer than plastic.

I'd agree on the Fieldcraft if they put the long action barrel contour on the short actions.

Yes it is.

The mountain rifle comes with a Bell and Carlson stock, does it not?
Originally Posted by jwall
Talk you out of it.......

I'd get the 700 Mtn Rifle in 270 Win. whistle

The 7-08 is a 270 wannabe wink
laugh

IMO There's nothing wrong with the Mountain Rife OR 7-08. Since you don't care for the Tikka stock.? ? ?
what's the problem?

You only have to satisfy YOURSELF.

Good Luck

Already have a Sako in 270 wsm.
Had a 260 Mtn rifle and like it fine, but it was pretty ass heavy. Then had a 270 Montana and liked it much better. Sold them both though.

Reckon I'm no help on this one.
I don’t care for the balance on them either. Reminds me of an EW M70.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

+1

+2 I own Remingtons and Tikkas and would pick a Tikka over a newer Remington. Better trigger, better quality control, better feel, better (fill in the blank)...
Originally Posted by 16bore
Had a 260 Mtn rifle and like it fine, but it was pretty ass heavy. Then had a 270 Montana and liked it much better. Sold them both though.

Sooooo “pretty ass heavy” meaning it was heavy on the butt stock end or the entire rig was heavy?
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM

Sooooo “pretty ass heavy” meaning it was heavy on the butt stock end or the entire rig was heavy?

IMO the L A have better balance.
That’s one reason S A don’t impress me.

Yeah...balance was funky. The 260 MR with LW's and M8 6X42 was 6lb 12oz. The Kimber with the same scope and rings was 6# 8oz. Not to mention another 2" of barrel. In hand, the Kimber was much better. Plus the stock is narrower than the MR. Kimber stocks are light years ahead of BC's.

If I could have either back, it'd be that Kimber all day and twice on Sunday. Recoil from the same ammo in an 8# M70 was worse. Kimber was a bit snappy, but that stock soaks it up. Kevlar is the stuff.
it'd be that Kimber all day and twice on Sunday.

This is what I was looking for!!!!!
I agree with 16bore, I have also had both the Mtn Rifle and the Montana and between these two I'd pick the Kimber 10:1 over the Mtn rifle.....If out of the box accuracy is your #1 priority go with the Tikka and forget about it .........Good luck ...Hb
No Tikka for me. I've owned Tikka, Remington, Fieldcraft and Kimber and I would choose the Kimber all day, everyday, as long as it shoots well.

The Fieldcraft was decent, but I did not like the balance with the 21" barrel. I think the 24" would be better, but you would have to go to 6.5x55 to get it.

donsm70
I like Remingtons. But I’d take a Swede Fieldcraft and a 223 Montana if they didn’t cost so much money. I just don’t know if there’s really that much value there unless you’re climbing mountains all the time or doing a lot of backpack hunting.

How bout a Xbolt Micro Midas in 7-08? I checked out one of those the other day in 22-250. That 60• bolt, tang safety, bolt release button, and 6 pounds with a pretty nice walnut stock is not a bad deal for around seven bills.

[Linked Image]

To me this is the perfect deer rifle in Rem 7-08, the Model 7MS. I have one in .350 Rem Mag as well which to me is perfect for ELK sized game.

[Linked Image]
OK. Don’t buy it.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[Linked Image]

VERY GOOD Looking.......

but I never understood carrying the Xtra wood. ??

Personal Preference, Ford/Chevy; Red/Blue ..... no offense.
Today I went to a local shop and fondled the following.

Barrett fieldcraft in 6.5 creed 18” threaded barrel. Did not care for the look of it with the end not being in the barrel profile.

Sako Finnlight 85 it was in 270 wsm but wanted to handle the rifle. It was awesome no doubt I will get one later in 270 wsm.

Browning micro wood and blued. Very nice rifle, liked it more than I thought I would have being wood and blue.

Tikka T3X compact in 7-08 & 6.5 creed. Nice rifle, good balance, and light weight and I know it will shoot. It’s $598 and 4% off this weekend.

I’ve had close to 15 tikkas in the last 8 years from trading and buying. From 243 to 300 win and everything in between including wsm’s. Every single one them shot sub moa. I wanted to go with the Remington mountain cause I’ve read a lot of good on here about them and I’ve never owned one.
Thats all the reason you need then, get one and if you dont like it sell it.....its what we do man! 😁👍......Hb
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Thats all the reason you need then, get one and if you dont like it sell it.....its what we do man! 😁👍......Hb

If it’s a choice between a 700 Mountain Rifle, Tikka, and Kimber 84M.

I’d go with the Montana. I love the ergonomics. I don’t have a 700 Mountain rifle, but I have a 700 Ti in 7mm-08 and a 84M Mountain Ascent. I take the Kimber, almost exclusively.
Checked out a Hunter the other day. First Kimber I’d looked at. Was on the used rack at Cabelas. The mag was out of it, but felt like a toy it was so light.
This one had a substantial gap between the sides of the bolt and the receiver that didn’t look quite right to me. Still a neat little rifle.

They musta had 25 or 30 Tikkas on the used rack. Wondered why so many.... Can’t even remember if I picked one up or not.
nothing wrong with a Remington 700 mountain rifle in a 7MM-O8, DON`T GET A TIKKA !

Yes it is.

This is the conclusion I keep coming up with for my own purposes.
The CDL / Mountain rifle was one of my favorites for years. Then they made the stock look like a middle school shop project. Combined with all the chamber problems Remington has been having, I'd look elsewhere.
Originally Posted by pete53
nothing wrong with a Remington 700 mountain rifle in a 7MM-O8, DON`T GET A TIKKA !

and deprive the poor guy from constant experimenting and gunsmithing to make it shoot .
Originally Posted by kingston

I’d go with the Montana. I love the ergonomics. I don’t have a 700 Mountain rifle, but I have a 700 Ti in 7mm-08 and a 84M Mountain Ascent. I take the Kimber, almost exclusively.

These are all interesting opinions and I trust Brians....but...

I'd have no trouble or issues about getting a Mtn. in 7-08 ( except the new trigger...that would have to go...)

I've had super luck with Tikkas, wouldnt hesitate on one of those for a second.

And one more opinion ( sorry Brian) I wouldnt take a truckload of Kimbers if they were free, unless I thought I could sell them quickly to the unsuspecting...
Get a 700 in 270 WSM

[Linked Image]

Already have a Sako in 270 wsm.

P 1
[Linked Image]screenshot

[Linked Image]

Hanco, my Sako Tecomate 270 wsm does ok for me!
FWIW

I get the feeling that some or most here are confusing the old Mt. rifles(wood or Tupperware) with the current offering.

The new ones have a stainless barreled action, of course the Mt. rifle barrel contour, & a Bell & Carlson TI style sock in BDL. Pretty well balanced. Yes, a hunnert buck Timney would be in order for me. That's gonna add up to approx. $950 if ordered from Buds.
The OG models were ADL, which I prefer. I wouldn't touch a new one.
I found a insane local deal on a Kimber Hunter but it’s in 243, it would be cheaper than any option on my list and a potential donor action for later? Any thoughts on this?
I found a insane local deal on a Kimber Hunter but it’s in 243, it would be cheaper than any option on my list and a potential donor action for later? Any thoughts on this?

Save yourself the hassle and buy a Fieldcraft.

One of the best things about the montana is it’s stock; the hunter is functional but not in the same league stock wise as the montana.

By the time you put a new barrel on (~$500/$600) and find a montana stock ($400-$500) you would have been much further ahead to just buy a fieldcraft or used Montana in 7/08.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Save yourself the hassle and buy a Fieldcraft.

One of the best things about the montana is it’s stock; the hunter is functional but not in the same league stock wise as the montana.

By the time you put a new barrel on (~$500/$600) and find a montana stock ($400-$500) you would have been much further ahead to just buy a fieldcraft or used Montana in 7/08.

It’s a price good enough to try it out, I have a extra scope laying around. If I don’t like it I know I could probably sell it on here and at least get my money back, or I would think. Although the field craft is nice it’s out of my price range for this year.
Originally Posted by ingwe

And one more opinion ( sorry Brian) I wouldn't take a truckload of Kimbers if they were free, unless I thought I could sell them quickly to the unsuspecting...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ever Heard of Kimber Roulette ?

I don't gamble.
Well, sounds as if you have done gone and talked yourself right out of that Remington mountain rifle!
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Well, sounds as if you have done gone and talked yourself right out of that Remington mountain rifle!

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, I think I am getting my cart in front of my horse!

And one more opinion ( sorry Brian) I wouldn't take a truckload of Kimbers if they were free, unless I thought I could sell them quickly to the unsuspecting...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't gamble.

I’ve seen it mentioned here a few times, but I’ve also seen a lot of negative towards Remington also. Seems like I picked some bad options lol

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't gamble.

I’ve seen it mentioned here a few times, but I’ve also seen a lot of negative towards Remington also. Seems like I picked some bad options lol

Yes, the Remington haters are out there.

In a Thread NOT TOO long ago our M D reported on 'newer Remingtons' and his opinion was a lot different from the 'haters'.
I don't know if I can find that thread or not, but I'll try.
Yes, the Remington haters are out there.

In a Thread NOT TOO long ago our M D reported on 'newer Remingtons' and his opinion was a lot different from the 'haters'.
I don't know if I can find that thread or not, but I'll try.[/quote

I’ll try and dig for it also
Well it didn't take as long as I thot:

The following is from Ask The Gunwriters, Thread, "Brand Expectations", Posted by M D on 3-6-18
I edited for the purpose of this thread, not mentioning any names.

"
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

You keep beating up on the 700, but I have had at least one in my collection since 1974--back when the safety locked the bolt-handle down. Don't know how many the total has been, but it's at least several dozen, and the number of rounds fired through them has been at least 100,000, and perhaps much more, partly because of shooting varmints including ground squirrels, prairie dogs, rockchucks and coyotes. I must be really lucky, because none of the extractors have broken, none of the triggers have malfunctioned, and none of the bolt handles have come off.

I've also spent a lot of time in the field and at the range with a bunch of friends who used 700's, and none of their extractors or bolt handles broke. There may have been one accidental discharge when a safety was pushed forward, but the rifle was pointed in a safe direction, and the shooter admitted their finger could have been on the trigger. There was no way of knowing for sure.

Dunno exactly how many big game animals I've killed with 700's, and am not going to take time to go through my hunting notes because it would take too damn long,

but in Montana alone I've probably taken over 100 antelope, deer and elk with various 700's.
Can say from memory the big game included around 15 species in North America from Texas and Old Mexico to Alaska and the Northwest Territories, but also several in Africa and New Zealand, including animals some people would consider lifetime trophies, such as kudu, grizzly and my biggest mule deer and caribou. Temperatures have ranged from well below zero to over 100 Fahrenheit.

I'd say that's a pretty fair sample, enough that I don't have any worries about someday taking another Remington 700 hunting again.

FWIW - I have 700s and would have more....... I'll never gamble on Roulette.
I’ve had a few 700’s that locked the bolt, that was a nice feature when packing it on the shoulder. I’ve had a few bolts come open when hanging up on my pack and slinging a round out onto the ground.
IMO if you can find one of the special run Gander Mountain Guide rifles in 7mm08 you’d be in tall cotton. I had one and stupidly sold it.
Get another 270 WSM, I have five 7 Rem mags. I would like to have another 270 WSM identical to the one I have. I like pairs of rifles. I have two 264 Sakos.

[Linked Image]
Nice looking rigs there Hanco!
Any of you fellas ever shoot the 280 AI? I’ve been seeing now and more ammo on the shelf locally since Kimber released that caliber in the hunter line.
Shot my 280 yesterday. What you want to know. A 160 Accubond at 3000 ft/sec and sub MOA is a pretty sweet setup. I must have won the Kimber roulette. Again.....
Originally Posted by bwinters
Shot my 280 yesterday. What you want to know. A 160 Accubond at 3000 ft/sec and sub MOA is a pretty sweet setup. I must have won the Kimber roulette. Again.....

That’s zipping along pretty good! What model Kimber do you have?

Mr. B, I AM glad for you. Serious

Good Gawd! Your getting 3000fps out of a .280 shootin a 160 bullet?.....That is one hot load!.....Hb
That's smoking hot!
haven't seen this mentioned yet - I got a Browning Hells Canyon speed in 7-08 a few months ago - very light and handy, as accurate as I can be with it.
maybe worth a look?
BTW - had a Rem Mtn rifle from the 80s - (was my uncles passed to me we he passed - gave it back to his daughter for her husband to use) - it was very nice, light and accurate. Definitely a toss up with the X-bolt but I do like the 60 deg bolt throw on the browning.
My rifle is a Kimber 84L in 280 AI. I've loaded for several regular 280 and couldn't get past 2900 with a 160 and a 22" barrel in any of mine - but that was before the advent of magic pixie dust (aka Re 26).

My 280 AI shoots pretty good:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Kimber 8400 30-06 doesn't do to bad either with Re 16 or H4350 and a 180 Accubond at 2800:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Kimber 84M 308 works with 180 Sierra, 180 Horn or 165 Accubonds:

[Linked Image]

I guess I'm pretty lucky with Kimbers. I'm still looking for the first one that I can't make shoot something............ whistle

In all honesty I've also shot some 2" groups with these guns either having a bad series of shots or bullet-powder combinations they didn't like. I've found them to be a bit sensitive to bench technique. At least for me, I tend to apply differing levels of cheek pressure when shooting from the bench and switching between rifles. They are all a bit different in the face-comb-scope geometry and normally my best group is not my first with a particular rifle when I'm switching around. Plus, benchrest shooting is not my strong suit - I'd much rather shoot from field positions.

Bwinters, it appears the Kimber force is strong with you! Lol
If you replace the trigger, have the action trued and put a decentstock on it it might be ok.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
IMO if you can find one of the special run Gander Mountain Guide rifles in 7mm08 you’d be in tall cotton. I had one and stupidly sold it.

Marty, I still have that 7mm-08 Mtn. Guide that you sold me a few years back. I bedded the lug and tang, and free floated the barrel. It shoots your RL-15, 120 gr. TTSX recipe sub-MOA very reliably. I've taken several elk with it and I still love the thing. If I decide to sell it, you'll be the first one I notify!

For the original poster, I also have a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 (unthreaded barrel) that I picked up on here two years ago. It shot 1.5" groups when I first tried it so I bedded the recoil lug and tang, and it now consistently shoots a 120 or 140 gr. TTSX sub-MOA. Not much for roulette with that one. I have two of the rifles you're inquiring about, and in the same caliber. I can't say that I hold one in much higher regard than the other, but here are my thoughts on the two after a couple of years of comparison. I like the lighter weight of the Kimber when it comes to packing, However, I like the Mtn. Guide's weight (~10 oz. heavier) a little more for shooting, in that it's steadier. Both shoot outstanding and I haven't had a lick of trouble with either one. I like the ergonomics of the Kimber stock a little more than the first generation Ti stock of the Mtn. Guide. I carry both of the rifles throughout my elk seasons in MT and WY, and I usually just grab whichever one I feel like taking for the day. I don't think you could go wrong with either of the choices. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number if you want to hear more details, as well as an option to "build" a Mtn. Guide.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
It’s called a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight.
The crap trigger, extractor, plunger ejector and soldered on bolt handle are enough to make me look elsewhere.
I bet you can't do this with a Remington
Tikka Superlite
[Linked Image]

And I am sick of having to have Remington bolts sent off to have the firing pin bushed, this is the boltface of the last Remington I will ever buy
[Linked Image]

Check out what a bolt face should look like
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
I bet you can't do this with a Remington
Tikka Superlite
[Linked Image]

U R right. My Remingtons don't choot 90* L. laugh laugh

I have both Rem & Tikkas.
You gotta shoot'em gangsta style

Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
It’s called a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight.

Very nice rifles, the wood doesn’t do it for me.
"U R right. My Remingtons don't choot 90* L. laugh laugh "

Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
You gotta shoot'em gangsta style

R O F. I'll have to try that. grin

You keep beating up on the 700, but I have had at least one in my collection since 1974--back when the safety locked the bolt-handle down. Don't know how many the total has been, but it's at least several dozen, and the number of rounds fired through them has been at least 100,000, and perhaps much more, partly because of shooting varmints including ground squirrels, prairie dogs, rockchucks and coyotes. I must be really lucky, because none of the extractors have broken, none of the triggers have malfunctioned, and none of the bolt handles have come off.

I've also spent a lot of time in the field and at the range with a bunch of friends who used 700's, and none of their extractors or bolt handles broke. There may have been one accidental discharge when a safety was pushed forward, but the rifle was pointed in a safe direction, and the shooter admitted their finger could have been on the trigger. There was no way of knowing for sure.

Dunno exactly how many big game animals I've killed with 700's, and am not going to take time to go through my hunting notes because it would take too damn long,

but in Montana alone I've probably taken over 100 antelope, deer and elk with various 700's.
Can say from memory the big game included around 15 species in North America from Texas and Old Mexico to Alaska and the Northwest Territories, but also several in Africa and New Zealand, including animals some people would consider lifetime trophies, such as kudu, grizzly and my biggest mule deer and caribou. Temperatures have ranged from well below zero to over 100 Fahrenheit.

I'd say that's a pretty fair sample, enough that I don't have any worries about someday taking another Remington 700 hunting again.
Nice shooting Winters, yeah you can get a few more fps out of an AI, I thought you had a .280 Rem.....and I totally understand the love for the 84L as I have it too 😁, I love the scaled down CRF action.....Hb
I had a 700 Mountain Rifle in 7-08 for several years. It was the stainless with the B&C stock. Very nice handling rifle, light and shot good enough for whitetail hunting. Only gripe was the trigger, and a Timney cured that problem.

I like 700's, and have quite a few of them, and if I had a hankering for another one, which I just might have, I'd buy one without any hesitation.
I have a 700 mountain guide that I picked up last year. Is the adl model, stainless with b&c stock. Shot one whitetail with it last fall. Shot first 3/4 group with it with a hornady custom factory load this past weekend. With Leupold 3-9×40 in talley lightweights it comes in right around 6.7 lbs with 3 rounds I my memory is correct. I'm loving that rifle and it carries like a dream. Wish I had gotten it years ago.
I’ll keep this one, stainless T3

[Linked Image]

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

[Linked Image]

Y'all notice Pharm covered his FLYERS with black spots ! look close. whistle

laugh laugh laugh
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/RLKURTZ/IMG_5793.jpg
[Linked Image]

My 7mm08 is a nice little package light weight and shoots the TTSX bullets nice!
STA

I like that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
STA is that the early version of the mountain rifle?

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh

What do those other guys always say?

GFY, that’s it.

P

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh

GFY, that’s it.

P
Lmao!.....Hb
STA is that the early version of the mountain rifle?

Looks to be a early to mid ninetys version with the detachable mag.

laugh laugh laugh

GFY, that’s it.

P

grin grin
Originally Posted by STA
[Linked Image]

My 7mm08 is a nice little package light weight and shoots the TTSX bullets nice!

Uh Huh. Uh Huh, I like it !!
Yes it’s early 90’s 👍🏻
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[Linked Image]

To me this is the perfect deer rifle in Rem 7-08, the Model 7MS. I have one in .350 Rem Mag as well which to me is perfect for ELK sized game.

[Linked Image]

nice!!
I'm not real big on the B&C ergos, and also not real big on the pencil contours. If it were me, I'd find a lightly used SS 700 BDL or SPS in 7mm-08 or .308, crown it at 22" and put it in an edge-fill Mountain Rifle / Classic / McMillan Hunter (whichever fits best).
Originally Posted by JPro
If it were me, I'd find a lightly used SS 700 BDL .... in 7mm-08, crown it at 22" and put it in an edge-fill Mountain Rifle / Classic / McMillan Hunter (whichever fits best).

Been looking for one of those to do exactly that. May end up just building it because a used (old-style) 7-08 in SS BDL seems to be pretty scarce.
Many will say "just get a Barrett" and I would in a heartbeat if it came with the contour of the LA versions.
I'm not real big on the B&C ergos, and also not real big on the pencil contours. If it were me, I'd find a lightly used SS 700 BDL or SPS in 7mm-08 or .308, crown it at 22" and put it in an edge-fill Mountain Rifle / Classic / McMillan Hunter (whichever fits best).

Thought of that route also but then I would be close to $1500 total and could just buy something ready to go shoot.
Originally Posted by SKane
If it were me, I'd find a lightly used SS 700 BDL .... in 7mm-08, crown it at 22" and put it in an edge-fill Mountain Rifle / Classic / McMillan Hunter (whichever fits best).

Been looking for one of those to do exactly that. May end up just building it because a used (old-style) 7-08 in SS BDL seems to be pretty scarce.
Many will say "just get a Barrett" and I would in a heartbeat if it came with the contour of the LA versions.

When you get that build figured out - email it to me <G>

I did a search on all available 7mm-08 rifles yesterday. I want 6.5 - 7 lbs all up, 22" brl, twisted 1:8, a 3" mag box stock ergos that fit me. The FC is close and may be the one. I shot one last night and it fit well enough but felt funky from the bench for some reason. It felt like the trigger guard was 12" from the pistol grip.
My daughter's used SPS SS 7mm-08 looks like somebody blasted it with pea gravel. Roughest finish I have ever seen on a factory 700, but it shoots well and was already crowned at 20" when I bought it. I found a used , recently-manufactured 243 SPS SS last year and it looks a lot better. Still not as fine a finish as the old BDL/SS guns, but better, and it's fine for a truck gun after I cut it to 21.5".
Originally Posted by Recurve1
haven't seen this mentioned yet - I got a Browning Hells Canyon speed in 7-08 a few months ago - very light and handy, as accurate as I can be with it. maybe worth a look?

I've got an X-Bolt Hell's Canyon in 26 Nosler. It is a very nice rig. I love the 60deg bolt throw.

Otherwise, I'd get a Kimber Montana and make it shoot, if it doesn't right out of the box.
Originally Posted by STA
[Linked Image]

That’s nice, and a factory DM!
Originally Posted by kingston

These are all interesting opinions and I trust Brians....but...

I'd have no trouble or issues about getting a Mtn. in 7-08 ( except the new trigger...that would have to go...)

And one more opinion ( sorry Brian) I wouldnt take a truckload of Kimbers if they were free, unless I thought I could sell them quickly to the unsuspecting...

We agree on the Remington trigger, my Ti has a TT Special on it. Grin.

I love my Kimber’s ergos and it cloverleafs. I don’t know if I won the lotto or not, but if I did, you’d be comforted to know the prize wasn’t lost on someone who doesn’t appreciate it!

Uh Huh. Uh Huh, I like it !!

Let me talk YOU out of that one. !!
Different Tikka, same load.

[Linked Image]

P
Pharm

Very Nice!
Originally Posted by Higbean
The crap trigger, extractor, plunger ejector and soldered on bolt handle are enough to make me look elsewhere.

you forgot to add the fail on fire safety.. smile
[Linked Image]screenshot

[Linked Image]

You need to sell this to me! You would be able to build or buy whatever Remington your heart desires. Ill tell you one thing. If that rig lived in my safe,I'd never look at another Remchester. I've been lusting for a Sako for years. Lots of years. My Dad and I would go to gun shows way back when. Bout 45 years. He always wanted a Sako 222. Never did get one. Now,here I am walking the same path. I STILL haven't scratched that itch myself! Thanks for posting that pic. Reminds me I need a Sako.
Originally Posted by Otter6
[Linked Image]screenshot

[Linked Image]

You need to sell this to me! You would be able to build or buy whatever Remington your heart desires. Ill tell you one thing. If that rig lived in my safe,I'd never look at another Remchester. I've been lusting for a Sako for years. Lots of years. My Dad and I would go to gun shows way back when. Bout 45 years. He always wanted a Sako 222. Never did get one. Now,here I am walking the same path. I STILL haven't scratched that itch myself! Thanks for posting that pic. Reminds me I need a Sako.

Otter all I can tell you is to save your nickels and get one. I have 2 of them and love them. Since I cant decide on a rem or Kimber I should just wait a and get a Sako 85 finnlight in 7-08. The Sako Tecomate was a must have since the first time I held one, no regrets on this one for sure!
[quote=Mule Deer] jorge

Dunno exactly how many big game animals I've killed with 700's, and am not going to take time to go through my hunting notes because it would take too damn long, [/Mule Deer]
(continued)

Part II...

Remington 700 test done at a ammo factory where my dear old friend did all the test with overloaded ammo to see what many brand actions could handle and how safe each brand was. from the tests preformed or experiments above and beyond normal by this ammo factory. Remington 700 action was one of the safest and strongest actions ever made ,including Remington`s bolt system. sure we all have our favorites for a rifle but as my friend said its just tuff to beat a Remington 700 action its strong,accurate and easy to use, he may not be alive anymore but he knew guns his name Johnny Bell.
Is the Kimber Hunter in 708 out of the question? Great feeling rifle.

I've been shooting a 700 mountain in 270 for over 20 years, been my go to...but I switched it up last year and picked up a nice used model 7 stainless 708. Finally found a load to get me under an inch @100. All I've changed out is the trigger. I absolutely love it. Good friend has a 708 700 ss dm with the barrel cut down 2 inches, its a sweetheart too.
And your point is what, that one can use a 700 to kill a pile of stuff but still put up with all the issues/ got it...
Originally Posted by jorgeI
And your point is what, that one can use a 700 to kill a pile of stuff but still put up with all the issues/ got it...

I have a vault full of Remington 700`s long and short actions all work fine,i do prefer a Ruger no.1 to hunt deer with but my 700`s all work and shoot fine. I have 2 friends who have killed more animals than 99.9 % of people on this site , their favorite rifle is still a Remington 700 ,one of those 2 was a Elite Sniper who`s been to many other countries for the military ,and I plan on taking a Remington 700 to Alaska next fall 2019 for moose and wolves.
well good for you and your friends..

Let me talk YOU out of that one. !!
I'm still waiting.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

My Point is that Mule Deer is a recognized SOURCE of CREDIBLE info on Rifles, accuracy, dependability & Safety.

I’d say that's a pretty fair sample, enough that I don't have any worries about someday taking another Remington 700 hunting again.

Did you get it this time ?
jwall my daughter shot her first 2 deer with this rifle. I can’t sell it she would kill me.😊
Originally Posted by STA
jwall my daughter shot her first 2 deer with this rifle. I can’t sell it she would kill me.😊

smile smile Well, I understand that. Besides, If THAT rifle was mine I would NOT sell it. wink

I never owned one, but I always liked the size and looks PLUS the D M (clip). grin
Well I must not be an elite sniper, as I’ve seen multiple bolt handles pop off of R700 based mil issue snipe rifles, multiple triggers fail- both AD’s when the safety was taken off, and from dust, dirt, ice, etc. That doesn’t include really jacked up chambers, misaligned receiver holes, misaligned actions (front and back), etc.

Would I hunt with a Remington 700? Sure, I do- though generally not. 700’s can be good rifles, but let’s get real, you buy 10 new ones and there’s a high probability that several are going to be complete fugg-balls. There’s just no reason to choose a 700 based gun when others don’t have those issues.
Well folks, I was fortunate enough to just score a Sako 85 finnlight in 7-08. If it shoots anything like the 2 Sakos I have I will be more than pleased. A rem 700 mnt rifle is still on my want list, so I may pick one up next year in 25-06 or 280. Thanks for all the feedback from all of you.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Well I must not be an elite sniper, as I’ve seen multiple bolt handles pop off of R700 based mil issue snipe rifles, multiple triggers fail- both AD’s when the safety was taken off, and from dust, dirt, ice, etc. That doesn’t include really jacked up chambers, misaligned receiver holes, misaligned actions (front and back), etc.

Would I hunt with a Remington 700? Sure, I do- though generally not. 700’s can be good rifles, but let’s get real, you buy 10 new ones and there’s a high probability that several are going to be complete fugg-balls. There’s just no reason to choose a 700 based gun when others don’t have those issues.

Wow! Is your luck that bad with trucks too?
[Linked Image]

Sako 85 Finnlight 7-08, Optilock bases and rings, plus 6 rounds of hornady 150 gr ELDX
"Talk me out of a Remington mountain 7-08"

Why?
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Why?

It’s still on my list. Gonna go with a 25-06 next year!
[Linked Image]

S W E E T !* !*
Originally Posted by gunnut308

Wow! Is your luck that bad with trucks too?

Nope. I drive Toyota’s.

Grin

Ok.

Don't do it!

Get a Ruger or Winchester instead.

(there...........how's that?)

(your welcome)
https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-a7/a7-synthetic-stainless

Outta the box accuracy that's unnatural. I do not like the Roughtech version. One in a soft touch stock would be money.
Too bad they don't make a fieldcraft in an 8 twist 280 or 280ai. I have a rem ss mtn in a ti stock that shoots the hornady 162s pretty well but I'm thinking about selling it and getting a 7-08 fieldcraft for the 8 twist and the 3" box. I think it would be tough to beat.

Bb
A 7-08. Wow. The all time greatest fence sitter of cartridges. Does nothing any better than anything else. A hyphenated example of noncommittal tendencies. The latest excuse for buying another rifle.........30 years ago! Paired with the modern day M700 Mountain rifle. A slip shod abortion of parts. Likely with a burr in the chamber. Bolted to what use to be a great stock. Now it more closely resemble that of the T-38 Arisaka. All for right around a $1,000. Before glass.

You backed down on this purchase yet?

Just trying to help.

Hee hee.
Originally Posted by Otter6
A 7-08. Wow. The all time greatest fence sitter of cartridges. Does nothing any better than anything else. A hyphenated example of noncommittal tendencies. The latest excuse for buying another rifle.........30 years ago! Paired with the modern day M700 Mountain rifle. A slip shod abortion of parts. Likely with a burr in the chamber. Bolted to what use to be a great stock. Now it more closely resemble that of the T-38 Arisaka. All for right around a $1,000. Before glass.

You backed down on this purchase yet?

Just trying to help.

Hee hee.

Surely did! I settled for a Sako finnlight in 7-08 instead.
Nice!
I talk myself out of one every time I look at one or read threads with the same failures over and over again. Not that everyone suffers the same fate, but I'd rather not put myself in line to perhaps be among those who did. Too many other choices that have better quality.
[Linked Image]

Sako 85 Finnlight 7-08, Optilock bases and rings, plus 6 rounds of hornady 150 gr ELDX

Nice! It would weigh even less if you ditch the optilocks....How does she eject spent cases? ......Hb
[Linked Image]

Nice! It would weigh even less if you ditch the optilocks....How does she eject spent cases? ......Hb

Only got to shoot a few rounds today due to the weather and skeeters. No ejection issues to report, and I am not a fan of these over priced optilocks!!
A proper 7-08 700 Mtn Rifle. Bought it a dozen years ago from a pawn shop with a 2-7x varix-ii for $600. Filled my 3 antelope tags that year and brother in law grabbed it to fill his 2 doe tags. I don’t know if it’s killed anything since then. Sold it to him a few years ago. Kind of regret not keeping it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Only got to shoot a few rounds today due to the weather and skeeters. No ejection issues to report, and I am not a fan of these over priced optilocks!!

Excellent! Good luck with your new rifle....I'd try some Talleys or Sako ringmounts but they are pricey too.....Hb
Originally Posted by Cheesy
A proper 7-08 700 Mtn Rifle. Bought it a dozen years ago from a pawn shop with a 2-7x varix-ii for $600. Filled my 3 antelope tags that year and brother in law grabbed it to fill his 2 doe tags. I don’t know if it’s killed anything since then. Sold it to him a few years ago. Kind of regret not keeping it.

[Linked Image]

Looks like one I had when they first hit the market. (Also in 7-08) Those early mountain rifle stocks were possibly the nicest Remington turned out. Unfortunately,it came through with a short chamber,and had to make a trip back to Remmy. That little rig felt great in hand.
© 24hourcampfire