Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM
I found a insane local deal on a Kimber Hunter but it’s in 243, it would be cheaper than any option on my list and a potential donor action for later? Any thoughts on this?

Save yourself the hassle and buy a Fieldcraft.

One of the best things about the montana is it’s stock; the hunter is functional but not in the same league stock wise as the montana.

By the time you put a new barrel on (~$500/$600) and find a montana stock ($400-$500) you would have been much further ahead to just buy a fieldcraft or used Montana in 7/08.

It’s a price good enough to try it out, I have a extra scope laying around. If I don’t like it I know I could probably sell it on here and at least get my money back, or I would think. Although the field craft is nice it’s out of my price range for this year.

Dont eat the big white mint!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

I've had super luck with Tikkas, wouldnt hesitate on one of those for a second.

And one more opinion ( sorry Brian) I wouldn't take a truckload of Kimbers if they were free, unless I thought I could sell them quickly to the unsuspecting...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ever Heard of Kimber Roulette ?

I don't gamble.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well, sounds as if you have done gone and talked yourself right out of that Remington mountain rifle!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Well, sounds as if you have done gone and talked yourself right out of that Remington mountain rifle!

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, I think I am getting my cart in front of my horse!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jwall

And one more opinion ( sorry Brian) I wouldn't take a truckload of Kimbers if they were free, unless I thought I could sell them quickly to the unsuspecting...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't gamble.

I’ve seen it mentioned here a few times, but I’ve also seen a lot of negative towards Remington also. Seems like I picked some bad options lol

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM
Originally Posted by jwall

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't gamble.

I’ve seen it mentioned here a few times, but I’ve also seen a lot of negative towards Remington also. Seems like I picked some bad options lol

Yes, the Remington haters are out there.

In a Thread NOT TOO long ago our M D reported on 'newer Remingtons' and his opinion was a lot different from the 'haters'.
I don't know if I can find that thread or not, but I'll try.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, the Remington haters are out there.

In a Thread NOT TOO long ago our M D reported on 'newer Remingtons' and his opinion was a lot different from the 'haters'.
I don't know if I can find that thread or not, but I'll try.[/quote

I’ll try and dig for it also

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well it didn't take as long as I thot:

The following is from Ask The Gunwriters, Thread, "Brand Expectations", Posted by M D on 3-6-18
I edited for the purpose of this thread, not mentioning any names.

"
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

You keep beating up on the 700, but I have had at least one in my collection since 1974--back when the safety locked the bolt-handle down. Don't know how many the total has been, but it's at least several dozen, and the number of rounds fired through them has been at least 100,000, and perhaps much more, partly because of shooting varmints including ground squirrels, prairie dogs, rockchucks and coyotes. I must be really lucky, because none of the extractors have broken, none of the triggers have malfunctioned, and none of the bolt handles have come off.

I've also spent a lot of time in the field and at the range with a bunch of friends who used 700's, and none of their extractors or bolt handles broke. There may have been one accidental discharge when a safety was pushed forward, but the rifle was pointed in a safe direction, and the shooter admitted their finger could have been on the trigger. There was no way of knowing for sure.

Dunno exactly how many big game animals I've killed with 700's, and am not going to take time to go through my hunting notes because it would take too damn long,

but in Montana alone I've probably taken over 100 antelope, deer and elk with various 700's.
Can say from memory the big game included around 15 species in North America from Texas and Old Mexico to Alaska and the Northwest Territories, but also several in Africa and New Zealand, including animals some people would consider lifetime trophies, such as kudu, grizzly and my biggest mule deer and caribou. Temperatures have ranged from well below zero to over 100 Fahrenheit.

I'd say that's a pretty fair sample, enough that I don't have any worries about someday taking another Remington 700 hunting again.

FWIW - I have 700s and would have more....... I'll never gamble on Roulette.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve had a few 700’s that locked the bolt, that was a nice feature when packing it on the shoulder. I’ve had a few bolts come open when hanging up on my pack and slinging a round out onto the ground.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO if you can find one of the special run Gander Mountain Guide rifles in 7mm08 you’d be in tall cotton. I had one and stupidly sold it.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get another 270 WSM, I have five 7 Rem mags. I would like to have another 270 WSM identical to the one I have. I like pairs of rifles. I have two 264 Sakos.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 09/07/18.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Nice looking rigs there Hanco!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Any of you fellas ever shoot the 280 AI? I’ve been seeing now and more ammo on the shelf locally since Kimber released that caliber in the hunter line.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot my 280 yesterday. What you want to know. A 160 Accubond at 3000 ft/sec and sub MOA is a pretty sweet setup. I must have won the Kimber roulette. Again.....

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bwinters
Shot my 280 yesterday. What you want to know. A 160 Accubond at 3000 ft/sec and sub MOA is a pretty sweet setup. I must have won the Kimber roulette. Again.....

That’s zipping along pretty good! What model Kimber do you have?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Mr. B, I AM glad for you. Serious

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V

Good Gawd! Your getting 3000fps out of a .280 shootin a 160 bullet?.....That is one hot load!.....Hb

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That's smoking hot!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
haven't seen this mentioned yet - I got a Browning Hells Canyon speed in 7-08 a few months ago - very light and handy, as accurate as I can be with it.
maybe worth a look?
BTW - had a Rem Mtn rifle from the 80s - (was my uncles passed to me we he passed - gave it back to his daughter for her husband to use) - it was very nice, light and accurate. Definitely a toss up with the X-bolt but I do like the 60 deg bolt throw on the browning.

Last edited by Recurve1; 09/07/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My rifle is a Kimber 84L in 280 AI. I've loaded for several regular 280 and couldn't get past 2900 with a 160 and a 22" barrel in any of mine - but that was before the advent of magic pixie dust (aka Re 26).

My 280 AI shoots pretty good:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Kimber 8400 30-06 doesn't do to bad either with Re 16 or H4350 and a 180 Accubond at 2800:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Kimber 84M 308 works with 180 Sierra, 180 Horn or 165 Accubonds:

[Linked Image]

I guess I'm pretty lucky with Kimbers. I'm still looking for the first one that I can't make shoot something............ whistle

In all honesty I've also shot some 2" groups with these guns either having a bad series of shots or bullet-powder combinations they didn't like. I've found them to be a bit sensitive to bench technique. At least for me, I tend to apply differing levels of cheek pressure when shooting from the bench and switching between rifles. They are all a bit different in the face-comb-scope geometry and normally my best group is not my first with a particular rifle when I'm switching around. Plus, benchrest shooting is not my strong suit - I'd much rather shoot from field positions.

Last edited by bwinters; 09/07/18.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (264mag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 41rem, 10gaugemag, 35 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,031
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.