Home
Don't seem to hear much about these rifles, at least from what I've seen. Are they sleepers, junk, or _____? I've never owned one, obviously. Have heard a little about the Axis series and the race to $300 rifles, but the rest seems rather quiet.

What say the 'fire?
They are not junk. i have 2 and one of them is my main deer rifle. Savage 10 in stainless and syn.. Every year i go to sight it and wonder why. At 100 yards its spot on with 3 bullets almost touching one another. It has handled bad weather, snow, rain, ice, it has handled me falling thru the ice, and on the ground during a stalk. They come highly recommended by me that is for sure. I would chose it over a remington anyday but then again i use my rifle as a tool and not a show piece. Some also say they are ugly, but they look like any other rifle. As far as the Axis goes, i got a friend of mine into hunting last year and he bought an Axis. Accuracy the same as my model 10 308.. once sighted it shot so well for a $299 rifle.

savage is known for accurate rifles.
The Savage bolt guns are one of the most accurate rifles out of the box you can buy. The only thing that comes close in my experience is the Tikkas. Every Savage I have owned has been a tack driver and absolutely trouble free.
Usually shoot well. Feel and look like cheap junk. Known to have rough bores. I've been around a couple that had feeding problems. At one time they could be bought cheaply enough that they made sense, but the price has increased so much it's easy to look elsewhere. Too many other good rifles out there today at similar prices to the Savage. Plus, with RemAge barrels now available, there's no reason to buy a Savage for the slow switch barrel setup.
I don't know anything about the entry level rifles of any brand. Savage 110 rifles were made to under sell the competition but are normally very accurate out of the box. Many Remington 700 fans used to squall like a mashed cat about them since the Savage rifles typically were as or more accurate for less money. While they were a real bargain before they are on the same price point as the competition now.
If you look at the history of Savage rifles The 99 has to be one of the most popular lever actions of all time. Well built and very dependable. I lost the vision in my right eye so I wanted a LH rifle to carry while Turkey hunting just in case we ran into some pigs so I got the Axis 2 with the accutrigger. Put a good scope on it and surprise surprise, it keeps putting them in the same hole. Hated the stock so have just put a Boyds on it. Not a lot invested in a very accurate rifle.
Not junk as others have mentioned. I have two of them, a Model 116 .30-06 that's about 25 years old, and Model 11 .260 Rem. I bought this spring on clearance. The .30-06 will shoot everything I put through it in at least a 1.5" group at 100 yards for 3 shots. I can go shoot it every year to check it, and it has not moved. It will also shoot 168 gr. and 180 gr. Barnes TTSX bullets within 1 inch of each other. The 168gr. are an inch high when compared to the 180 gr. versions. It used to group 150 gr. Rem. Cor-lockts under 3/4" all day long, but the groups have opened up t about 1.5" in the last 3-4 years. I love that rifle, but it's a bad luck gun for hunting. It has been on numerous hunts and I've never shot an animal with it. My son two years ago saw I was wanting to take the .06 moose hunting with us, and he said if it went he was staying home. I took a different rifle, and didn't see a moose one.

Now the Model 11 .260 Remington. I've got to get a better scope than the Nikon BDC that came on it, as I do not like that scope. Maybe late next summer when I return home for good, I can find a round it actually likes. So far, it's nothing like the Model 116 .30-06.
I have a Savage 114 classic .300WinMag stainless, accutrigger, with wood stock. It shot MOA or better out of the box with most off the shelf 165gr rounds, with Federal Fusion being the most accurate out of those I tried. It didn't shoot 180gr all that well. I bedded it and the groups got better, but still didn't like 180gr off the shelf cartridges. I got in to reloading and tried 180gr NAB over H1000 and it is easily 1/2 MOA. As Yukon said, like Tikkas, and I'll add Steyrs (I have two that are tack drivers), Savages are known to be one of the most accurate rifles out of the box.
the action is built like a tank, magazines are flimsy, barrels collect copper. all mine shoot well.
had a 110 in .300 win mag that i sold here on the fire. wish i still had it, never could get it to shoot like i wanted. the recoil shredded my sandbags.
Never tried to shoot groups but always minute of dee. I have a rebore from 30-06 to 9.3X62. Purchased from the fire as 9.3 it hasn't seen a hunt yet. I'm sure it is sad. But it awaits a trip to Texas for Nilgai and pigs right now. Hope to shoot some much larger game in the future but have to save for the trip. Rusty.
I bought a Savage 116 in 7-08 because I wanted the famous out-of-the-box accuracy. The gun is a mediocre shooter, where it will shoot most factory ammo into 2" groups, and some loads much worse.
Shinbone some of those were 11 twist and did not do much accuracy wise. See if savage will put a 9 twist on like they do now. You might try 120 grain bullets too.
I've got a couple and they're both tack drivers. My model 16 in .300 WSM will consistently shoot .5-.75 MOA. Used it to harvest a decent MT bull elk a few days ago.
I like them in general. Wish they were still 400 bucks. Not really a fan of the accutrigger but they do shoot very well. I agree, the mags are flimsy and just a bad design. They also screw with stuff for seemingly no reason, like where the bolt release is and the lengths of the actions and the style of magazines and etc. Kind of annoying when looking for aftermarket stuff for them.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Shinbone some of those were 11 twist and did not do much accuracy wise. See if savage will put a 9 twist on like they do now. You might try 120 grain bullets too.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check my records to see if I ran any 120gn'ers through it, as well.
I have 3 Savage bolt guns, all shoot sub inch. I have a 99 that will also. They are great guns for the price!
Savage rifles could be considered Rodney Dangerfield rifles...it doesn't get any respect, and many call them Salvage rifles, but I have found them to be very accurate right out of the box. My present 16 Weather Warrior 22-250 with good bullets shoot sub-MOA consistently and has accounted for piles of prairie dogs, several coyotes and a few Whitetail deer. Wish they offered a special run of 7x57s.

[Linked Image]
They should offer a special run of rifles that don't have rough bores.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Usually shoot well. Feel and look like cheap junk. Known to have rough bores. I've been around a couple that had feeding problems. At one time they could be bought cheaply enough that they made sense, but the price has increased so much it's easy to look elsewhere. Too many other good rifles out there today at similar prices to the Savage. Plus, with RemAge barrels now available, there's no reason to buy a Savage for the slow switch barrel setup.

This is about the best summary of Savage bolt guns I have ever seen.
Originally Posted by semi
Some also say they are ugly, but they look like any other rifle.

First — I’m not being mean spirited.

To me, - it’s the handle end of the bolt that does NOT look like any other rifle. It’s ‘almost’ like they added the handle as an afterthought. <just me>

I had a 110 C in 7 RM and it shot well but ‘n8dawg’ summed up my feelings,

Originally Posted by n8dawg6
the action is built like a tank, magazines are flimsy, barrels collect copper. all mine shoot well.

Jerry
Rodney Dangerfield! I like that! Here is a couple of my Rodney’s

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I think that Savage 110 series rifles are less attractive than the comparable rifles from Rem/Rug/Win. I think that the Marlin X guns are the most attractive rifles in the Savage 110 series and don't understand why Marlin could make an attractive rifle with the same positive attributes as the Savage 110 series and Savage never bothered to make the effort. I also don't understand why Remington didn't keep the Marlin X gun design in favor of the 783.

EDIT: Although it almost makes me gag to type these words, I prefer the Mossberg Patriot to the Savage Axis. I bought a CeraKoted Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 Creedmoor to use for a loaner. With a Signtron S1H 3-9x40 in B-Square rings it is a surprisingly good shooter with the 125 grain Winchester/Olin Deer Season XP factory load. One of my son's friends who comes from a non-hunting/shooting family is going to use it when he joins us on 11/10/18.
Just my opinion, right? Butt ugly, with a few of the higher end models with nice wood stocks being "fondle worthy", ha. They all shoot well, some very well. My family down in Texas love the "cheap combo rifles/scopes) in 7mm Rem Mag for East Tx! They throw them on the 4 wheeler/mud/rain/wrecks/ice/frost and kill their deer/hogs usually under 75yds! If one gets ruined (broke) they go to Academy and get another! ha.
I'll admit that Savage bolt guns based on the original 110s are strong, safe, accurate, and presumeably reliable. They were among the first, if not the first to offer left-handed models. They were, however designed with economy of manufacture strongly in mind, so feature composite construction, and metal parts made with modern techniques that often don't look and feel to me like gun parts should. I have a couple of rifles that are "tools", but for the most part I like rifles that are "nice" as well as good. It's strictly personal preference, but that view is just as valid as those that regard them like hammers, or that place accuracy as the be-all end-all reason for their existence. I also feel strongly that Mausers and others that use Mauser principles make the best rifles for traditional hunting methods, that is to say for example not super long-range hunting or exterminating pigs en masse over feeders or from choppers. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it's not something I do.

Everyone ought to buy and use what they prefer and quit obsessing over what's popular or what others use. This is, as Old Jack used to say, all fun and games.
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by semi
Some also say they are ugly, but they look like any other rifle.

First — I’m not being mean spirited.

To me, - it’s the handle end of the bolt that does NOT look like any other rifle. It’s ‘almost’ like they added the handle as an afterthought. <just me>

Jerry

When I see one closing I subconsciously expect to hear flushing sounds.
I own or have owned 5 Savage rifles and all have been good shooters. Latest one is a stainless Axis .270, and I had to put a Rifle Basix trigger in it. With a couple other minor tweaks, it shoots as well as my stainless Tikka T3. The current Axis 2 in stainless has the Accutrigger and is $296 at my local WalMart.
Originally Posted by mathman

It is the rough bores that make them shoot great right out of the box, dontcha know?
The 110s were solid if no frills rifles. I can’t warm up to the Axis. It is about the ugliest bolt action in the planet.
I've had a 30-06 110 for over 30 years. It shot great the day I got it and it still does. It's beat up and ugly but it still gets the job done when called upon.
But, who wants to call?
They already did. I got one in .223.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that Savage 110 series rifles are less attractive than the comparable rifles from Rem/Rug/Win. I think that the Marlin X guns are the most attractive rifles in the Savage 110 series and don't understand why Marlin could make an attractive rifle with the same positive attributes as the Savage 110 series and Savage never bothered to make the effort. I also don't understand why Remington didn't keep the Marlin X gun design in favor of the 783.

EDIT: Although it almost makes me gag to type these words, I prefer the Mossberg Patriot to the Savage Axis. I bought a CeraKoted Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 Creedmoor to use for a loaner. With a Signtron S1H 3-9x40 in B-Square rings it is a surprisingly good shooter with the 125 grain Winchester/Olin Deer Season XP factory load. One of my son's friends who comes from a non-hunting/shooting family is going to use it when he joins us on 11/10/18.
Crypes, how many "loaners" do you need ? I think that makes about the 150 th I've heard you blab about. You hunt with a gottdam army of moochers or what ?
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The 110s were solid if no frills rifles. I can’t warm up to the Axis. It is about the ugliest bolt action in the planet.

Every Savage I've ever owned shot well. I really like all the 10-110-11-111-16-116 series Savage rifles.

However, I HATE the Axis and would never buy the awful looking things when I can have one of the above models!
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Crypes, how many "loaners" do you need ? I think that makes about the 150 th I've heard you blab about. You hunt with a gottdam army of moochers or what ?

laugh
I have 204, 22-250, 243, and 270 chamberings in Savage bolt guns. One of them shoots ok... the other three shoot very well. None of 'em are pretty. I wouldn't be ashamed to own another.
or date fat chicks?
I have had a couple of Savages 110's and a 116 over the years. Most if not all have been very accurate. I still wished I had them all.

I currently have savage 110 that I put a 264 win mag barrel on, dropped the barreled action into a Houge Stock and it is scary accurate. Added an aftermarket tactical bolt handle ( that made the heavy bolt lift go away) Had my bolt body fluted, added a timney trigger set to about 2 pounds, honed the bolt lugs and raceway to smooth up bolt operation , set a good scope on it and it turned out to be a nice rig. All the above was done here at my house,

As far as the Axis , no thanks. I have heard they are accurate, but they are just not my thing.
I like the safety location and userability on a Savage.
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
I like the safety location and userability on a Savage.

Couldn't agree more. I wish there were more 3 position tang safeties on the market.
I own 3. A Model 11 22-250 with a bull barrel. It delivers 1/2" groups. I also have a lightweight hunter in 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 223 goes under an inch easily . The 6.5 is new but showed promise in initial testing. I like 'em. They get it done.

I knocked the snot out this buck with a 16 Weather Warrior 22-250 and a 55 grain Hornady SP at 260 yards. I was amazed I hit him with the SOB having such a rough bore.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mike74
Originally Posted by Blackheart

laugh

I always keep a few loaners around, but I have a lot of discretionary income and can afford to be generous when the mood moves me.
Originally Posted by roundoak

I knocked the snot out this buck with a 16 Weather Warrior 22-250 and a 55 grain Hornady SP at 260 yards. I was amazed I hit him with the SOB having such a rough bore.

[Linked Image]

What did you shoot the doe with?
It was shot earlier by another hunter as part of a deer drive.

I always keep a few loaners around, but I have a lot of discretionary income and can afford to be generous when the mood moves me.

I don’t understand WHAT difference it makes to other hunters/shooters what/why someone else likes/wants what they have.

I see pix of rifles that make me gag, I don’t comment, it’s none of my business.
There are cal/cartridges that some love, & I have NO use for, it’s NO skin off my nose.

Some guys feel if you don’t agree with them, you obviously are wrong.

I happen to feel that DIVERSITY is a good thing, ADversity, not necessarily.
I ONLY have to please myself.

Jerry
I don’t understand WHAT difference it makes to other hunters/shooters what/why someone else likes/wants what they have.

Brother, ain't that the truth?!
Originally Posted by 16bore
Don't seem to hear much about these rifles, at least from what I've seen. Are they sleepers, junk, or _____? I've never owned one, obviously. Have heard a little about the Axis series and the race to $300 rifles, but the rest seems rather quiet.

What say the 'fire?

......................Up until this point and primarily because of aesthetics or looks I have never really been a big fan of Savage. However when I review their site, that newest version of the 110 Bear Hunter kinda grows on me. I own a 375 Ruger Alaskan. But if this same 110 Bear Hunter in 375 Ruger had been available back when I was contemplating the Ruger Alaskan, then I may have opted for the 110 Bear Hunter.

In my honest opinion and a few have already agreed. The out of the box accuracy from the Savage rifles is extremely good. Very good value for the $$$$.....
I suppose some of them shoot but they look like a cows ass.
I've owned a few of them over the years. One was a 25-06 that I wish I would've kept.
I have a couple and they are sub moa guns:

You guys still "wish they were still 400 bucks"? Well, this one was $384.00 just a couple months ago:
[Linked Image]

She shoots just fine:
[Linked Image]
Was shooting it yesterday at 440 and best group was 3" (10 shot group), centered on a 4" steel plate....

This Stevens 200 (too bad they don't make them anymore) was $300.00 and it shoots like this:
[Linked Image]

Glass bedding in a new stock as we speak:
[Linked Image]

Should shoot better now with a new Timney.... Savage rifles are UGLY, they do have rough bores and some collect copper, but they do shoot damn good right out of the box.
They’re just the most butt ugly bolt actions ever. I’ve had some and will own some more....cheap. The LWH actually seems nicely made, but you still have to keep a bag over the back of the action.
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
They’re just the most butt ugly bolt actions ever. I’ve had some and will own some more....cheap. The LWH actually seems nicely made, but you still have to keep a bag over the back of the action.

They are ugly. I wish they were a little more aesthetically pleasing... I'm not going to complain about how they shoot though.. I guess you take the good with the bad..
Seems that Savage vs. Tikka is more apples to apples than anything.

mad - You belong on the SHORT bus ! eek

*reminder* No Christmas Card ! wink

Jerry

mad - You belong on the SHORT bus ! eek

*reminder* No Christmas Card ! wink

Jerry

As far as the haters go anyway...😆
They have grown on me over the years. You can still get synthetic 110/10 series for under $500.

For true aficionados they are probably at the bottom of the list, but for average Joes and Janes they are good values.

The Axis is an ugly rifle but they are great tools for hunting. My daughter has a Muddy Girl stock on her Axis and just loves to shoot it. Scope and all it got her into hunting for less than $400. So I can appreciate that.

I wouldn’t mind a 14 Classic myself.
A used 110 under $300 would be my top budget recommendation.

[Linked Image]

What did the bullet weigh when it got there?

I dealt with a Savage in 308 whose bore was so rough that if you wanted to hit a deer with a 150 you needed to shoot a 180. grin
I have owned several Savage bolt guns over the years and could not warm to any of them. 99s are a different story smile. The Axis looks like a cartoon or video game idea of a bolt action rifle. Maybe that is the look they were going for.

[Linked Image]

I dealt with a Savage in 308 whose bore was so rough that if you wanted to hit a deer with a 150 you needed to shoot a 180. grin

Bullet was not recovered.

[Linked Image]

Bullet was not recovered.

I was joking about the amount of copper the bore scrubbed off.
OK, so you were joking about losing 30 grains of copper, then what was the exact amount?
OK, so you were joking about losing 30 grains of copper, then what was the exact amount?

That was fictional hyperbole. Deer were never really involved.

Actual facts: The bore coppered up so much inside twenty rounds that when I cleaned it with JB compound the gook that came out looked like copper based anti-seize compound.

[Linked Image]
Walmart has the camo heavy barrel in 6.5 creedmoor for $449. Many years ago they made the 110C in 7X57MM they called it the Chieftain I have only seen one. You can usually find the synthetic 110s in 270, 30-06, 7RM etc for less than $300 if you hit the pawn shops.
Ugly? Yeah I guess. I don't think they're particularly bad looking.
They made the 14 Classic in 250-3000 and 300 Savage. Seemed like the 300 Savage disappeared from the lineup pretty fast though.
Originally Posted by Mike74
Ugly? Yeah I guess. I don't think they're particularly bad looking.
Me either, certainly have been ALOT of uglier bolt rifles made. Like the T/C Venture and Compass for instance, who the fugg designed those abortions ? The Winchester XPR is pretty fugly too and the Browning AB-3, Steyr SBS pro hunter and Ruger American sure ain't gonna win no beauty contests !
I dont think ugly is the right word for me, as I rarely look at such with an eye for pure aesthetics. I think they look cheap...and while I know whats a very subjective thing, and largely untrue, its simply the reaction I have to them.

Sadly, when I touch them they feel just as cheap.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

I haven’t owned a Savage bolt since the 110 C, a long time back.

Is that tang safety — 3 position ?
My favorite reason for using Savage rifles is the switch barrel capability with just a couple inexpensive tools.
I enjoy getting a donor rifle for a good price and installing a premium pre-fit barrel, to come close to custom performance at a much lower cost. Plus the ability to change chamberings in minutes if desired.
One of my projects here, a 116 action, B&C Medalist stock, and a Shilen Select barrel in .300 WM.

[Linked Image]
Last spring at a gun show a guy had an older 110 in .270 tagged for $225. Wood was in good shape as was the overall condition of the rifle. Almost offered $175 but was afraid he'd say yes. Figured he couldn't unload it due to the newer economy rifles.
An excellent reason to use them.

Nice paint on that one in the pic.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
My favorite reason for using Savage rifles is the switch barrel capability with just a couple inexpensive tools.
I enjoy getting a donor rifle for a good price and installing a premium pre-fit barrel, to come close to custom performance at a much lower cost. Plus the ability to change chamberings in minutes if desired.
One of my projects here, a 116 action, B&C Medalist stock, and a Shilen Select barrel in .300 WM.

[Linked Image]

Savage - versatile, indeed. Nice bull, too.
I have a long range hunter in 300wm that I’ve found to be a fun rifle to play with.
I've owned one Stevens 200 and two Salvage 110. Both 110 rifles had feeding issues. All three shot decent.

The sliding extractor doesn't give the warm fuzzies, but the stray gas handling features do. The front baffle, rear baffle, and fastener in the rear of the bolt seem to seal off the action well. The primary extraction would seem good based on the design, but it doesn't seem like it's executed well, if at all. The 700 is no better.

The actions are ugly to me, but pre-fit barrels are readily available. Definitely appeal to the DIY dudes.
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I've owned one Stevens 200 and two Salvage 110. Both 110 rifles had feeding issues. All three shot decent.

The sliding extractor doesn't give the warm fuzzies, but the stray gas handling features do. The front baffle, rear baffle, and fastener in the rear of the bolt seem to seal off the action well. The primary extraction would seem good based on the design, but it doesn't seem like it's executed well, if at all. The 700 is no better.

The actions are ugly to me, but pre-fit barrels are readily available. Definitely appeal to the DIY dudes.

Good post. I was out shooting my stevens 200 22-250 today and this is what she did. Just about have the load narrowed down too:
[Linked Image]

My $384.00 Savage 12fv creedmoor shoots alright for a rough bore rifle whistle
[Linked Image]

Hell, I might just buy one of those cabela's 10 T-SR, just to try out a good one with 5R rifling... wink
You want ugly look at a Remington 770
Stevens 200s are the same as an old school savage 110, put in a 3 screw trigger and u have a good basic rifle that hits where it is aimed. My go to rifles in 7mm08 and .223Rem

One 7mm08 did have feed issues until I tweeked the blind mag lips . Fine now.
I have a American Classic in 308. great shooter and not too ugly
Every Savage rifle that I have/had, has been very accurate. A gun is a tool to me. I could not care less if the damn thing isn't "pretty", as long as it shoots well. Savages have always shot any bullets that I have put through them-WELL! If you want to stand around and take pictures of them, then go buy an expensive rifle with a fancy wood stock. If you want a gun to use, that you can depend on putting meat in the freezer, or shots in the bullseye, then buy a Savage.

If you decide that you want to trade calibers, Criterion makes outstanding barrels that can be easily screwed on. I have done this with two of my three Savages. I burned out one 7 mag and re-barreled it, and just decided to change a .308 to .260.

I will always be a 110 fan.
I have ALMOST bought a Savage several times...just never could make myself do it.
All things aside, most bolt gun rifles today will be accurate with some tinkering. A properly bedded barreled action will show immediate results in performing better groups. Savage's reputation for out-of-the-box accuracy has long been agreed to, but so has Howa (Wby Vanguard) at lower price points. The problem with Savage is not only their unattractive look (IMO only), but their extractor sucks. Similar to Rem 700 (plunger type-spring loaded and pinned to the bolt head), they wear bad, thin out and fail to function properly over time, especially when dirty. For Rem 700 you can now buy M16 extractor conversion, a worthy upgrade IMO. But why bother with Savage when Howa already uses an M16 extractor, the receiver/action is pretty much a duplicate of the Sako L61 (Finnbear) and L579 (Forrester), which means high quality in design and function. You can strip, clean and reassemble a Howa bolt in minutes by hand. There is no comparison berween Savage and Howa when it comes to design/quality in my opinion. Savage loses. Howa actions are used quite a bit today in lower end custom gun building and all gun stock makers include Howa in their full inlet inventory. Can't say that about a Savage.
Originally Posted by Rossimp
All things aside, most bolt gun rifles today will be accurate with some tinkering. A properly bedded barreled action will show immediate results in performing better groups. Savage's reputation for out-of-the-box accuracy has long been agreed to, but so has Howa (Wby Vanguard) at lower price points. The problem with Savage is not only their unattractive look (IMO only), but their extractor sucks. Similar to Rem 700 (plunger type-spring loaded and pinned to the bolt head), they wear bad, thin out and fail to function properly over time, especially when dirty. For Rem 700 you can now buy M16 extractor conversion, a worthy upgrade IMO. But why bother with Savage when Howa already uses an M16 extractor, the receiver/action is pretty much a duplicate of the Sako L61 (Finnbear) and L579 (Forrester), which means high quality in design and function. You can strip, clean and reassemble a Howa bolt in minutes by hand. There is no comparison berween Savage and Howa when it comes to design/quality in my opinion. Savage loses. Howa actions are used quite a bit today in lower end custom gun building and all gun stock makers include Howa in their full inlet inventory. Can't say that about a Savage.

The Howa is basically a weatherby vangurard. You speak of extractor issues and how the Howa is better? I can attest to the fact that they are not as great as you are saying. I bought a vanguard about 5 years ago and it had nothing but extraction issues. Since it was a new rifle and I bought it here locally, I had the gun shop I bought it from send it back to Weatherby (or so I thought it was going back to them, later found out it was going to some ham fisted "authorized repair center"). After having to send it back for the third time (every time I got it, I checked it and it still only extracted 1/2 the time) due to extraction issues, I swore I'd never buy another. The rifle was clearly a pos and the extractor was no better than a remington 700 or any other push feed action I've seen. You guys taut these push feed rifles as being top notch, but there again, they are not. Eventually (if you shoot a bunch) the extractor is going to fail on these rifles. However, some do it sooner than others. The positive side of this is they are easy to change and most times cheap as hell. A savage extractor is $9.00. A price some of us have to pay to shoot these wonderful fugly rifles... sick Here's my pretty much bone stock 12fv creed, with a $300.00 scope, during a centerfire shoot yesterday:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey Jerry, From what I can tell, it is a 2 position safety:
[Linked Image]
Here's one of my Carrot Tops...

[Linked Image]
No, the Wby Vanguard is a Howa 1500. A lot of folks shoot Howa 1500 (Wby Vanguard). Failures/problems can occur, I don't doubt yours, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find your extraction problem is consistent and probable to the great majority of Howa 1500 bolt guns in service since the mid 1970s, including the Wby Vanguards. That design hasn't changed except for triggers and safety. Savage has had an epidemic level of extraction problems throughout its history, but its not the end of the world as you say, you can repair easily. I own and shoot Howa 1500s in 308 Win, 7 Rem Mag and 338 Win Mag, never a problem with extraction, even under rapid fire employment with 308 Win. Works like a charm. Sorry for your bad experience and again not discing the Savage, its just not my cup of tea at that price point.
On my Savages, the safety is a three position. Fire, half way allows the action to be cycled, and there’s all the way set that locks the bolt.
Yup. the tang safety is a 3 position

What say the 'fire?

I looked and see that I currently have 7 Savage 110 series rifles; 22-250(x2), 257 Roberts(x1), 260(x3), and 30-06(x1).

The 2 that are scoped, zeroed, and in the rack are a 22-250 11FV and a 260 11F parts gun with a Shilen barrel and McM Hunter stock.
Originally Posted by Rossimp
That's some pretty funny shyt. Wear and thin out from what, rubbing on cartridge brass ? Not likely for a steel part to wear much against brass. I will agree that Savage's do have extraction issues at times but that is generally because of having a relatively small gripping area on the cartridge rim and/or a combination of weak extractor spring and a poorly fitting actuator bearing which is what moves the extractor back into the extractor groove after snapping over the rim. I've never seen a Savage extractor "worn thin" from use and I've put thousands of rounds through multiple Savage's over the past 4 decades. Oh, and the Savage extractor is much closer kin to a push feed model 70 than a 700.
I have a savage 116 weather warrior 30 06. It shoots 180 corelokt handloads to .8. at a 100 yds. It has been picky in the bullets it likes. It doesn't like any boat tails, nor does it shoot 150 gr bullets well. By well, I mean an 1" or under group. The rifling is rough, I start to lose a bit of accuracy after about 30 rounds. A big plus is that there is no cold bore issues. The first second, and third shot all hit the same, a must for me. I have a SS 3x9 on it, and it will shoot a consistent 5" to 6 " group at 600yds. Quite adequate on deer and elk at that range if needed. I really like the 3 stage tang safety as well. For a factory rifle, though, I would now go with a tikka. Overall, not as picky with bullets, and better, smoother barrels.
I don't own a Savage nor do I claim to be an expert. The article below explains the wear problem I spoke of earlier and how the extractor tip wears under standard operation.

Savage Extractor Replacement

What is interesting is the use of sintered metal for the extractor part (don't know if Savage still uses this process). This is the use of a single metal type or combination of differing metal types ground to fine powder and placed in a mold and then put under high pressure and high temperature without melting the material to produce a single metal part. While cost effective, it may not yield the best quality and part integrity.
They are the "Rodney Dangerfield" of rifles, but they are good rifles..
I've got one Savage model 10. It's chambered in 223 with a 20" 1-9 bull barrel, and has a Tupperware stock. It shoots O. K., but nothing special. I've had more problems with that rifle than any other bolt action I've owned. After the first 500 rounds the sear would trip and get caught by the accu-trigger if the bolt was worked with any vigor. The rifle had been shipped with the trigger adjusted all the way down, and adjusting it all the way up eliminated the problem.

Also somehow when cleaning the bolt the extractor came out and the detent ball went sproing. I had to order another one. A friend has one in 6.5 Swede. He broke the extractor trying to us Norma cases. According to him the rims were enough thicker than the Winchester that they wouldn't fit properly under the extractor. He doesn't have a problem with the Winchester cases. Of course his detent ball went sproing and was lost when he changed the extractor.

I don't like tang safeties, so that's not a selling point for me.

I still have and use mine, but I'm not planning on getting another.
In 2016 I bought a used Savage FXP3 (Model 11) at a gun show for $295 out the door. It was chambered for .243 Win and was purchased to be a donor for a 6.5CM build.

Foolishly, I bought a set of .243 Win dies and some brass and bullets and built a single test load - 95g SST over H4831SC. It clocked at 2925fps, over 200fps slower than I could achieve with other powders. The heartbreaker was it shot like my old M110E in .22-250 - cloverleafs at 100. So long, 6.5CM.

Now I need to find another at the same price point or better. Good looking? No, but it's another Savage keeper.
Originally Posted by reivertom
They are the "Rodney Dangerfield" of rifles, but they are good rifles..

There is no denying that they shoot well....

but at the end of the proverbial day, they are still a Savage.

You can only polish a turd so much...

But its a matter of taste, which is why god created blondes, brunettes, and redheads.
I've checked out a controlled feed, claw extractor equipped Ruger Hawkeye that wouldn't reliably extract. It was less than 50/50 with unfired rounds/brass that were an easy fit in the chamber. It took two trips to Ruger to get it right.

OTOH I've been shooting Remington 700's since the 70's and have never had a failure to extract. A couple of them in my stable have round counts over 4000, several more nearing 3000.

That said, I have seen a 700 or two that did have extraction problems.

It's easy for me to believe problems are more often due to poor manufacturing execution on particular examples rather than whatever the design may be. In these days of bean counting and supplying a market the biggest part of which is populated by folks who don't shoot nearly as much as members here, it doesn't surprise me that QC isn't what it could be.
I bought my first savage in about 1980. It is a 112R and was a 22-250. It never ejected cases right from day one. A new extractor did nothing. I now have 5 that do not eject cases correctly. The ones that shoot long cartridges seem better than any short case one. This is only 37 years of experience so your mileage may vary. P.S. I have never had an issue with any 700 Remington. Ed k

Hey Jerry, From what I can tell, it is a 2 position safety:

Thanks. Since I only owned 1 Savage bolt I didn't know about newer models. It seems as tho they DID change at some time.

Jerry
Originally Posted by micky
On my Savages, the safety is a three position. Fire, half way allows the action to be cycled, and there’s all the way set that locks the bolt.

I haven't checked out any Savage bolts in a very long time. That is a change I didn't know about.
Thnx

Jerry

I took the boys to the range yesterday PM for a final confidence builder before we go afield tomorrow. After 6 shots, Parker told me that the Mossberg was missing the target on his 2nd and 3rd shots. I looked through the spotting scope and could see that all 3 shots in both groups were nearly touching, making it look like 1 hole at 9x, but clearly 3 holes at 36x. My son wasn't doing quite as well with a Remington, McMillan, and Leupold package costing about 3x as much as the $500 Mossberg and Sightron combo.
I've had enough issues with their extractors that I keep a couple sets of replacements on hand.

I took the boys to the range yesterday PM for a final confidence builder before we go afield tomorrow. After 6 shots, Parker told me that the Mossberg was missing the target on his 2nd and 3rd shots. I looked through the spotting scope and could see that all 3 shots in both groups were nearly touching, making it look like 1 hole at 9x, but clearly 3 holes at 36x. My son wasn't doing quite as well with a Remington, McMillan, and Leupold package costing about 3x as much as the $500 Mossberg and Sightron combo.

The Patriot isn't bad rifle at all. Would've liked to have kept mine but it was 300 Win mag and I hated shooting it.
Originally Posted by moosemike

The Patriot isn't bad rifle at all. Would've liked to have kept mine but it was 300 Win mag and I hated shooting it.

Watch out, somebody will read that and tell you what a pussy you are. grin
Originally Posted by moosemike

Watch out, somebody will read that and tell you what a pussy you are. grin

I know. But had I said I liked it somebody else would tell me I'm compensating for something. laugh
I have 3. 22-250 heavy that I rebarreled with a 260 because I wanted a heavy 260 Criterion. The other a 223 9” twist that is stainless fluted in an old Durramax stock. 3rd is a Stevens 200 in 300 WM I picked up for $200 to rebarrel to 7RM. Haven’t shot the Stevens and don’t want to because the stock is too thin and I know it will sting a bit. No complaints to speak of. Very accurate rifles.
I never thought I would own a Savage, but bought a Hog Hunter cause the barrel was suppressor ready. I was amazed at how accurate it was. I have a couple Creeds and a 99 now. Damn good for the price.
My Savage Lightweight 6.5 Creed is going to be my opening day rifle this year. They get it done!
I have a 22-250 and a 270...my experience with savages has always been good
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
My Savage Lightweight 6.5 Creed is going to be my opening day rifle this year. They get it done!

Is that the Lightweight Hunter model or the Storm? Fluted bolt and all that jazz?
Well lot's of people see rifles mainly as tools. In that regard, Savage makes as good a hammer as anybody.

Hell I really liked the American Classic should have special ordered one in 8x57 while I still could have.
Ugly but tough and functional. This one has spent nearly it's entire life living in a gun boot on an ATV.

[Linked Image]

PS - My Son and his friend Parker punched tags this weekend, both of them taking a Wahoo GMA buck on Saturday and a River GMA doe on Sunday.
I think I have 3 Savages at this point. One is the MLII just to get away from the BP hassles and maintenance. Its the Rubber Maid/SS version purchased for a reduction in work. It would group under an inch at 265 yds, and also destroyed the scope. Recoil would move scopes around too much. Bought a 12(alphabet) HB target special. in 300WSM with the hopes of shooting in the local 600yd BR Factory class. Here we discovered that Savage was still considering instituting a QC department. Cant remember all the problems but a few included the bent recoil lug, the severely dinged receiver mating face and the adjustable trigger that wouldnt adjust.. It would group barely below an inch with the load it liked best. The third one was a weather proof, RubberMaid, SS combo in 7mm WSM. Bought it NIB off one of the online distributors. It was cheap because it was ugly, and in an unpopular chambering. It shot well with most loads and after getting set up for an Africa trip I discovered the extractor wouldnt even touch some lots of brass. Savage got me a new one in time and it worked appropriately. Performed well in SA and Ive used it here on whitetails and elk. Its light shoots well and has proven to be reliable since replacing the extractor. But its still ugly, kind of an insurance policy- no one would want to steal it.
Just got back from the range, first time with my Axis. It absolutely HATES my 87gr VLDs I reloaded for an Abolt I had. Glad I bought the Federal blue box 100s. Bug holes! Shocked the schit outta me. Best $199 I spent.
"Blue Box 100's"

Sounds more like a pack of smokes. Although they say they'll smoke whitetails, we'll see as mine ain't been bloodied yet. I don't mind Marge at Walmart doing my handloading. She's a cheap date.....
Bought a desert tactical last winter. I can't find anything it doesn't shoot well. First savage and it is a winner.6mm creed, 4.5x30 Bushnell tacticle, 105 berger vld hunting, reloader 16. Sub 1/4" rifle. Use it for long range p-dogs. Ugly but everything works as advertised.
Now now, this is ugly??
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Is that the Lightweight Hunter model or the Storm? Fluted bolt and all that jazz?

LWH with the fluted bolt, pencil barrel and slim profile stock.

[img]https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/se...ia/33481148250/medium/1510439479/enhance[/img]
Good lookin rifle. I wasn't a big fan of the stock on the storm model.
Savages are too high fallutin" I got a Stevens 200 laugh

Mike
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Savages are too high fallutin" I got a Stevens 200 laugh

Mike

It's been several years back but Academy had Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 FDE synthetic on closeout for $199. I was stupid.
Originally Posted by micky

Just checked my FXP3 .243 and it is a 3-position safety. Never noticed that before as I just moved it all the way forward or backward.
I am the proud owner of a Stevens 200 in 223. It was given good reviews here on the Fire several years back when I asked for something to get me in the 223 world. Glad I made the purchase.
I liked playing with them, but now I can buy a M700 ADL cheaper.

Steven's 200 .243 1:7 twist McGowen Varmint 24", SSS Competition trigger, SSS recoil lug, Rayhill bolt handle and lift kit, HS Precision stock, EGW scope rail, Warne rings and Vortex Viper 6 5-20X50.

[Linked Image]

Steven's 200 6X47 Rem 1:12 twist Sin Arms barrel, Leupold 4-12X40 AO, Leupold QRW rings and bases, with SSS trigger, bolt handle and recoil lug.

[Linked Image]

Daughters first deer rifle "Bruiser" Steven's 200 .223 Rem, Redfield Revolution 2-7 power scope.

[Linked Image]

Steven's 200 stagger feed .250 Savage 1:10 ER Shaw barrel, B&C Carbelite stock, SSS trigger and bolt handle, and Vortex Viper 2-7X35.

[Linked Image]

Savage M10 6X45 1:7 X-Caliber barrel, fluted bolt and barrel by Twisted Barrel, PT&G recoil lug, Rayhill bolt handle and lift kit, Accustock, Cerakote Coyote tan, prairie ghost camo hydro dip on stock, and Timney trigger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have one more Steven's 200 that'll become a .358 Win one of these days. I have all the parts to put it together, but I'd like to cut the barrel down first.

The Stevens M200 is getting harder to find, but not impossible. I also remember when Academy Sports put them on clearance for $199, most of them were in 7MM08 with the FDE stock. A lot of guys says that the 200 was just the Model 11 without the accu trigger.
I'm a fan of the older staggered feed Savages, but I hate the acccu-trigger and the center feed. And like others said, the price point sucks now.
The Stevens 200 was just a pre-A/T Savage 110 series.

When I wanted a quicker twist 22-250, I used to buy Stevens 200 .223 1-9" ROT take-off barrels to rechamber. I put several of them on Marlin XS7 actions and have had few complaint.

PS - My Son and his friend Parker punched tags this weekend, both of them taking a Wahoo GMA buck on Saturday and a River GMA doe on Sunday.

Congratulations to the young men!
I picked up one of the 12fv’s in 6.5 from cabelas last winter on sale with the rebate and it shoots the 130 Berger hybrids just over half inch. Pretty good for under 300 bucks.
I bought my twin boys savage "package'" rifles in 270 12 years ago. Used the cheap 3x9 simmons for a couple years until one crapped out and put 4x fixed weavers on them. Also at that time put timmenys triggers in. Those rifles will shoot as good as if not better than an expensive rifle.
© 24hourcampfire