Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by micky
On my Savages, the safety is a three position. Fire, half way allows the action to be cycled, and there’s all the way set that locks the bolt.

I haven't checked out any Savage bolts in a very long time. That is a change I didn't know about.
Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that Savage 110 series rifles are less attractive than the comparable rifles from Rem/Rug/Win. I think that the Marlin X guns are the most attractive rifles in the Savage 110 series and don't understand why Marlin could make an attractive rifle with the same positive attributes as the Savage 110 series and Savage never bothered to make the effort. I also don't understand why Remington didn't keep the Marlin X gun design in favor of the 783.

EDIT: Although it almost makes me gag to type these words, I prefer the Mossberg Patriot to the Savage Axis. I bought a CeraKoted Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 Creedmoor to use for a loaner. With a Signtron S1H 3-9x40 in B-Square rings it is a surprisingly good shooter with the 125 grain Winchester/Olin Deer Season XP factory load. One of my son's friends who comes from a non-hunting/shooting family is going to use it when he joins us on 11/10/18.

I took the boys to the range yesterday PM for a final confidence builder before we go afield tomorrow. After 6 shots, Parker told me that the Mossberg was missing the target on his 2nd and 3rd shots. I looked through the spotting scope and could see that all 3 shots in both groups were nearly touching, making it look like 1 hole at 9x, but clearly 3 holes at 36x. My son wasn't doing quite as well with a Remington, McMillan, and Leupold package costing about 3x as much as the $500 Mossberg and Sightron combo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had enough issues with their extractors that I keep a couple sets of replacements on hand.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that Savage 110 series rifles are less attractive than the comparable rifles from Rem/Rug/Win. I think that the Marlin X guns are the most attractive rifles in the Savage 110 series and don't understand why Marlin could make an attractive rifle with the same positive attributes as the Savage 110 series and Savage never bothered to make the effort. I also don't understand why Remington didn't keep the Marlin X gun design in favor of the 783.

EDIT: Although it almost makes me gag to type these words, I prefer the Mossberg Patriot to the Savage Axis. I bought a CeraKoted Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 Creedmoor to use for a loaner. With a Signtron S1H 3-9x40 in B-Square rings it is a surprisingly good shooter with the 125 grain Winchester/Olin Deer Season XP factory load. One of my son's friends who comes from a non-hunting/shooting family is going to use it when he joins us on 11/10/18.

I took the boys to the range yesterday PM for a final confidence builder before we go afield tomorrow. After 6 shots, Parker told me that the Mossberg was missing the target on his 2nd and 3rd shots. I looked through the spotting scope and could see that all 3 shots in both groups were nearly touching, making it look like 1 hole at 9x, but clearly 3 holes at 36x. My son wasn't doing quite as well with a Remington, McMillan, and Leupold package costing about 3x as much as the $500 Mossberg and Sightron combo.

The Patriot isn't bad rifle at all. Would've liked to have kept mine but it was 300 Win mag and I hated shooting it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by moosemike

The Patriot isn't bad rifle at all. Would've liked to have kept mine but it was 300 Win mag and I hated shooting it.

Watch out, somebody will read that and tell you what a pussy you are. grin

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by moosemike

Watch out, somebody will read that and tell you what a pussy you are. grin

I know. But had I said I liked it somebody else would tell me I'm compensating for something. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 3. 22-250 heavy that I rebarreled with a 260 because I wanted a heavy 260 Criterion. The other a 223 9” twist that is stainless fluted in an old Durramax stock. 3rd is a Stevens 200 in 300 WM I picked up for $200 to rebarrel to 7RM. Haven’t shot the Stevens and don’t want to because the stock is too thin and I know it will sting a bit. No complaints to speak of. Very accurate rifles.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I never thought I would own a Savage, but bought a Hog Hunter cause the barrel was suppressor ready. I was amazed at how accurate it was. I have a couple Creeds and a 99 now. Damn good for the price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Savage Lightweight 6.5 Creed is going to be my opening day rifle this year. They get it done!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a 22-250 and a 270...my experience with savages has always been good

Last edited by mjbgalt; 11/11/18.
IC B3

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
My Savage Lightweight 6.5 Creed is going to be my opening day rifle this year. They get it done!

Is that the Lightweight Hunter model or the Storm? Fluted bolt and all that jazz?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well lot's of people see rifles mainly as tools. In that regard, Savage makes as good a hammer as anybody.

Hell I really liked the American Classic should have special ordered one in 8x57 while I still could have.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ugly but tough and functional. This one has spent nearly it's entire life living in a gun boot on an ATV.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

PS - My Son and his friend Parker punched tags this weekend, both of them taking a Wahoo GMA buck on Saturday and a River GMA doe on Sunday.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think I have 3 Savages at this point. One is the MLII just to get away from the BP hassles and maintenance. Its the Rubber Maid/SS version purchased for a reduction in work. It would group under an inch at 265 yds, and also destroyed the scope. Recoil would move scopes around too much. Bought a 12(alphabet) HB target special. in 300WSM with the hopes of shooting in the local 600yd BR Factory class. Here we discovered that Savage was still considering instituting a QC department. Cant remember all the problems but a few included the bent recoil lug, the severely dinged receiver mating face and the adjustable trigger that wouldnt adjust.. It would group barely below an inch with the load it liked best. The third one was a weather proof, RubberMaid, SS combo in 7mm WSM. Bought it NIB off one of the online distributors. It was cheap because it was ugly, and in an unpopular chambering. It shot well with most loads and after getting set up for an Africa trip I discovered the extractor wouldnt even touch some lots of brass. Savage got me a new one in time and it worked appropriately. Performed well in SA and Ive used it here on whitetails and elk. Its light shoots well and has proven to be reliable since replacing the extractor. But its still ugly, kind of an insurance policy- no one would want to steal it.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got back from the range, first time with my Axis. It absolutely HATES my 87gr VLDs I reloaded for an Abolt I had. Glad I bought the Federal blue box 100s. Bug holes! Shocked the schit outta me. Best $199 I spent.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"Blue Box 100's"

Sounds more like a pack of smokes. Although they say they'll smoke whitetails, we'll see as mine ain't been bloodied yet. I don't mind Marge at Walmart doing my handloading. She's a cheap date.....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bought a desert tactical last winter. I can't find anything it doesn't shoot well. First savage and it is a winner.6mm creed, 4.5x30 Bushnell tacticle, 105 berger vld hunting, reloader 16. Sub 1/4" rifle. Use it for long range p-dogs. Ugly but everything works as advertised.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Now now, this is ugly??
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Is that the Lightweight Hunter model or the Storm? Fluted bolt and all that jazz?

LWH with the fluted bolt, pencil barrel and slim profile stock.

[img]https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/se...ia/33481148250/medium/1510439479/enhance[/img]

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 11/13/18.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 450yukon, 12 invisible), 1,542 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,535
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.