Home
Posted By: boliep Montana Rifle Company Follow Up - 01/19/19

I talked to the guy at the Montana Rifle Company booth today at the Dallas Safari Convention. He confirmed that their company was under new ownership. Their goal was to make the rifle better than it had been but certainly not detract from it. I voiced the concern about questionable customer service in the past. He said they were aware of the problems in that area by the previous owner and had terminated the problems.

My impression is that they are going to try to keep a quality product and take care of the people that purchase from them. The rifles that were on display were well finished and handled nicely. About what I had expected from having previously owned one of their rifles. He did not go into their manufacturing experience or firearm knowledge and I did not ask.

One concern was when he asked me which model of their rifle I had owned, I told him it was the predecessor to the X2. The model was xss or something like that. He did not know enough about the history of the rifle to know what model I was mentioning.
Bean Counters never waiver,in their innate inability to formulate a first fhuqking clue.

Hint..................
I and my gun shop have tried to contact them for weeks about the action on my X3. No phone has been answered and emails haven't been replied to in over 2 weeks.
I would say their CS pretty much sucks.
Their website is pathetic, and contradicting on several specs, depending on the page.
Seems like the first impression of a company should be the first thing changed if it is truly a regrouping.
Originally Posted by Tanker8
I and my gun shop have tried to contact them for weeks about the action on my X3. No phone has been answered and emails haven't been replied to in over 2 weeks.
I would say their CS pretty much sucks.

Originally Posted by KenMi
Their website is pathetic, and contradicting on several specs, depending on the page.
Seems like the first impression of a company should be the first thing changed if it is truly a regrouping.

Well that's disappointing...I was hoping they would get their [bleep] together. Of course, with SCI, DSC and SHOT there might not be anyone left in the plant on the Admin side of things.
Although, there are many other companies, even gun companies, with pathetic sites.
When catalogs changed to online info, that marketing aspect plummeted.
Originally Posted by boliep

I talked to the guy at the Montana Rifle Company booth today at the Dallas Safari Convention. He confirmed that their company was under new ownership. Their goal was to make the rifle better than it had been but certainly not detract from it. I voiced the concern about questionable customer service in the past. He said they were aware of the problems in that area by the previous owner and had terminated the problems.

My impression is that they are going to try to keep a quality product and take care of the people that purchase from them. The rifles that were on display were well finished and handled nicely. About what I had expected from having previously owned one of their rifles. He did not go into their manufacturing experience or firearm knowledge and I did not ask.

One concern was when he asked me which model of their rifle I had owned, I told him it was the predecessor to the X2. The model was xss or something like that. He did not know enough about the history of the rifle to know what model I was mentioning.

I wish them well, but honestly,what else would a rep say?
Looks like they got a new lightweight model (Xtreme Ascent) ....same full size action with an ultra thin barrel contour, im not too impressed but they are at least introducing new models.......Hb
Originally Posted by KenMi

They build rifles, not websites.

Lets bitch at the IT guys when the rifle doesn't shine.
On the other hand, I have an appreciation for MRC's situation: you have a mix of new and old personnel; those who survived the initial 'purge' are probably non-committal until they really know what their status in the long-term scheme of events. The new guys are still trying find their place. The new owner is surely aware of issues from an external perspective but now that he has keys to all the locks, he's trying to weed out all the problems - including people. If it were me, I would be giving all remaining employees a chance to start afresh and not rushing to judgment so not to inadvertently push out the good when I get rid of the bad. Yes, it would seem wiser to 'close down' while regrouping, but from a marketing and perception perspective, that sends a more ominous message than trying to remain accessible during the transition. Kind of like a "damned if you do - damned if you don't" scenario.

I went back to the Montana Rifle Co booth Saturday. I pried a business card away from the guy that I talked with on Thursday. He didn't seem like he wished to give it to me. No business cards were on the desk for any employee. It turns out I was talking to a data and marketing analyst. That does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling like talking to a gun guy. If they know less than I know, they are probably worthless.

His name was Robert Petty with a business card number of 406-756-4867 x207. That is the only contact information I have other than the regularly published email and street address.

When I had my small but difficult to resolve problem with them years ago I tried this successfully. Go to their Facebook page and list your problem and what you have done to try to have it resolved including how many times you have emailed and called without any response. In my case the post was very quickly removed but I was also contacted by messenger on the Facebook site. Most importantly I got through to someone that solved my problem quickly. As a hint, do your letter on an email but then copy and paste it on the MRC site. That way you have correct punctuation and paragraphs. If you type and hit enter for a new paragraph, you will send what you have typed up to that point.

If they erase your posting and do not respond, post it again. If they block you have a friend make the same posting but include you had contacted them this way an you were blocked. If you make them uncomfortable enough or irritate them enough you will probably get action.

Good luck.
Glad they are improving.
Owned one of their rifles 8-10 years ago and had major issues. Their customer service was worthless. Sold it and moved on.
It’ll be a cold day in hell before I buy another
It's going to be a long uphill battle for the new owner.

Good write ups and hands on demos are the only thing that might save them. Can't believe someone would order in the present state of the company.
I have a few of there rifles and never had an issue until this one. All of them are great shooters, but I will not buy another one after this CS fiasco.
It took me not recommending them and writing up my issue and experience so far on their facebook page to get a response from them. I wrote it on Friday morning and by midday I had a number and an email contact with a name to go with it.
Sad to here this. I was looking into ordering one. I think I'll wait a while.
MRC has been a fhuqking Schit Show from inception.

Hint......................
I have a .338 RUM in their ASR and I have no problems with it.

It is accurate with the 210 & 250 grain Nosler Partitions. Killed this cow elk with a 210 gr Partition.
[Linked Image]

I really liked the MRC I had in 300 Win Mag. Very accurate and reliable. Just a bit heavy. Which is the only reason I sold it.

It had crossed my mind to try another MRC in their lightweight and newly released rifle, the X3. Since I just picked up a
Barrett Fieldcraft I think I will see how it turns out before trying something else. Besides, the Fieldcraft is about 2/3's of the
weight of the MRC that I recently sold.
My .338 RUM weighs 9 lbs and that is just right. wink
Originally Posted by Big Stick

[Linked Image]

Repeated. They lied out their ass from the get guy, promised the world etc etc.

But people will still line up for a shiet sandwich for some unknown reason. Hopefully they have the janitor answer questions next time and not a marketing analyst.
I can't see anything about their rifles that would compel me to risk the purchase of one at this point. Nice design, but nothing that stands head and shoulders above a new M70 or Classic, a pre64, various Mausers, or IMO, a 77 Hawkeye. Most of the nitpicky shortcomings people have about those (throw in Kimbers too) can be resolved or corrected pretty easily.

Any time a comany is unable or unwilling to return contacts from customers, it's a giant red flag waving like a semaphore, or should be. The guys who already have good ones are fortunate and should hang onto them like Grim Death.
Could that have been Ron Petty, instead of Robert?
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I have a .338 RUM in their ASR and I have no problems with it.

It is accurate with the 210 & 250 grain Nosler Partitions. Killed this cow elk with a 210 gr Partition.
[Linked Image]

But Ken, will it kill a jackrabbit or a squirrel?
Only with if you place the bullet in the exact spot.

The one I worked with was a mess. Don't know where to begin, so I won't even start.... frown -Al

Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

I rechecked the business card the guy reluctantly gave to me.

Definitely ROBERT Petty. Not Ron.
Okay. Maybe his son? Ron is running the company. He was formally at Norma. Or, maybe his real name is Robert. Did the guy have a beard?
Kyle's kin

Did the guy have a beard?

No beard but that can change quickly if you shave.

The guy was mid 30's, maybe 40, and heavy.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Only with if you place the bullet in the exact spot.

I can only imagine...lol.
Talked with one of their guys at SHOT and he said they had been investing in better than Ed machinists and trying to get the ship righted.
There were some group buys on the site in the past year or two aside from rifle weight most people seemed happy.

Between this...LAW...and Forbes...its enough to make a man stick to the big brands and work the bugs out or build from the ground up.
Sample of one, my X2 has been accurate and functioned perfectly. Glad to see they are staying around.
I'm not sure when the takeover happened with MRC, so I don't know what is a reasonable time for major changes to take effect. I do know Ron Petty. I flew helicopters with him in Vietnam in the old days.

After Ron completed his tour in SEA, he returned to Fort Benning, Georgia as a member and instructor on the Army rifle team. He was ranked #2 in the world in the late 60s, so he is a rifle guy who should be able to make significant changes where they are needed. After he got out of the Army, he was a VP at Winchester, and a consultant for Norma ammunition. He knows his way around guns, hunting, and the industry.

I think if he is given the time and resources to make it better, MRC will be one of the best. As hunters and gun enthusiasts, we all need people like Ron in this industry. Even though we have become an "instant gratification society", let's give him a little time to work it out.
Originally Posted by boliep

I rechecked the business card the guy reluctantly gave to me.

Definitely ROBERT Petty. Not Ron.

Ron Petty is running the company.
Didn’t know they made enough guns to need a “marketing analyst”. They should spend the money on a customer service rep or someone to work in the shop.
I don't have much interest in looking into their rifle lineup.
Imagination ad Pretend are free...so they "have" that "going" for them.

Hint......................(grin)
Imagination ad Pretend are free...so they "have" that "going" for them.

Hint......................(grin)

With the dream you’re living you know best what a guy should try to avoid.
😂
Poor sugar tits where did your pops do his time for child molesten. Whooooooorahhhhhhh!!!
him touching you like that. DaaaaannnnnnnnG it must be painful to this day. Apple don’t drop to far do it. 🖕
It's your Delusion(s),feel free to convince yourself of whatever you need to hear. Obviously,your "life" is wayyyyyyyyyy shy on all facets and your Insecurities grow by the day and rightfully so. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Might I suggest dangling one of my pics,saying something I coined or perhaps punctuate in accordance,if only to further you...from YOU.

It's the ONLY "chance" you've "got".

Hint.

Laughing!.............
Just because their name is “Montana” doesn’t mean squat and “Rifle” means jackschit if you can’t consistently build a quality rifle year after year. The ones I’ve handled were heavy and not seemingly well made. I’d never spend that kind of cash on one especially in light of their reportedly poor customer service.
It's your Delusion(s),feel free to convince yourself of whatever you need to hear. Obviously,your "life" is wayyyyyyyyyy shy on all facets and your Insecurities grow by the day and rightfully so. Congratulations?!?

Might I suggest dangling one of my pics,saying something I coined or perhaps punctuate in accordance,if only to further you...from YOU.

Hint.

Laughing!.............

Hahahaaaa. Cats got your tongue. You unluck snatch.
Wow now that was fun, but I still don't know if they are any good or not ? I will just go buy a Savage !!!!
Does a

Hint.

Laughing!.............

Does everyone in Paradise AK drink as much as this idiot? I think we are all getting tired of looking at fish after fish after fish! Hint.....................................

Bless your stupid ass for trying!

Go troll a fishing forum, no one here gives a schitt about your negative input! Hint.....................................
Originally Posted by Switch
Does a

Hint.

Laughing!.............

Does everyone in Paradise AK drink as much as this idiot? I think we are all getting tired of looking at fish after fish after fish! Hint.....................................

Go troll a fishing forum, no one here gives a schitt about your negative input! Hint.....................................

That is the EXACT same response he put on another thread in this forum. He's an idiot.

I'm pretty much done with Montana Rifles. I've emailed them several times, messaged them and get no response at all. It's pretty obvious to me that the customer service problems have not been fixed.
Go to facebook on thier page and give a truthful review with your rifles problem and not being able to contact them and don't recommend them. I bet you have a response quick.
I did that and I had a message back with email and phone number in less than 2 hours. It still tok a week to get the shipping label. Mine shipped UPS today.
It took over a month to get to this point. Now I hope it doesn't take months to get it back.
Originally Posted by DubThomas
Originally Posted by Switch
Does a

Hint.

Laughing!.............

That is the EXACT same response he put on another thread in this forum. He's an idiot.

I'm pretty much done with Montana Rifles. I've emailed them several times, messaged them and get no response at all. It's pretty obvious to me that the customer service problems have not been fixed.

I have emailed the twice in the past two years or so and have had quick and friendly responses. I'd like to see them get their act together. The rifle, properly executed, with good customer service would be very appealing to me.
Hate to say it, but I did not buy one because of the negativity I looked at while researching MRC. As to Bigstick……………… HINT
I just shot my .260 X2 at the range today. Man, it's a nice handling rifle. The range officer even commented about how smooth the action cycled when I worked it.

I'm pulling for the new management at MRC. They fill a nice niche between a factory gun and a full custom, especially for us lefties. It'll be interesting to see what the new management comes up with for rifle designs/configurations.

I've said this in some other posts:
I'd buy a bare MRC stainless action, buy a match barrel from Shilen in the profile of your choosing, buy a McMillen edge stock and have a competent gunsmith put it all together. You'd have the best of everything!
Inconsistant quality will kill any product. Seemed to be greater than acceptable issues out of the box rather than issues stemming from rifles having issues after being used a while. Most of the issues should have been caught before the rifles ever left the shop. Mine shoots the lights out. But my
Safety is still stiffer than it should be after several years and a thousand workings and my action is smooth as silk so long as the safety is off but during the cocking process its not that smooth. I thought it would work its way smooth after some use but its not really getting better. I have an email from Sipes telling me to send it back that they could clean up the isdues but I wanted to use it for a while to see if there where any other issues so I only had to tear the scope off and send it back once. Feeds great and shoots great. The issues might or might not bother someone else. I never had any problem with them getting back to me when I contacted them before or after the sale. But that doesnt mean others didnt.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Inconsistant quality will kill any product. ...

Spot on... I had both of the group buy LH rifles. Zero issues. Same set of 25 rifles each, multiple other members had issues with feeding. Generated a number of MRC skeptics. On another thread, there is a chit storm going about inconsistent quality issues with the Left Hand Stainless Win M70's. Generated a number of Win M70 Classic skeptics. There was a period when Ruger shipped a some rifles with visibly bent barrels. Generated some Ruger skeptics.

The key piece is how do they respond to the issues. IIRC, Ruger made good on the bent barrels. As a result, the Hawkeyes, et al, are now viewed as very functional rifles. Good value / bang for the buck. The Winchesters and MRC's still suffering perceptions due to poor CS, even if the underlying issues have been resolved.

I am pulling for the new management team at MRC as well.
I wanted an X3 in 6.5 PRC, but their CS has turned me off so bad that I found a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 PRC on sale somewhere else. I'm gonna pull the trigger over there.
While I am pulling for them i think they have lost some potential customers. A friend of mine you was a chef told me the only way to make up for a bad meal is to get the bad meal away from in front of the customer and get a good meal in front of them as quick as possible.
© 24hourcampfire