Home
Posted By: iddave .280ai Barrett Fieldcraft.... - 02/01/19

My apologies if someone already posted this. Gonna be a lot of these sold I suspect. Several interesting rifles in that article.

Outdoor Life- 16 new rifles from shot show.
More like 1 interesting rifle and 15 other piles of schit.
The Seekins looks interesting at least.
Well chit!
Originally Posted by iddave

Yes...yes it does!
I shot the Barrett Fieldcraft and the LAW Professional II Carbon last week at Industry Day. I really liked the LAW rifle.
I owned a couple of the early LAW rifles, and really like the 704 action.

Was the Barrett a 280AI? If so, how was the recoil?
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Yes...yes it does!

You’re gonna have to get rid of that #2 profile Creedmore to pick it up.......... smile
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Was the Barrett a 280AI? If so, how was the recoil?

The Fieldcraft and LAW were both 6.5 CM. For some reason the Barrett folks had a box of "delinked" 6.5 CM machine gun ammunition that they were using which didn't feed or extract that well. If the shooter showed any amount of ability they'd let them shoot a few rounds of some better stuff.
So, it looks like the general consensus is that hunters have become a bunch of pansies that can't bear to carry a 9 pound gun on a sling. Maybe they should just lose a few pounds from their gut, and then not worry about the 3 or so difference in pounds on a sling. Once the shot presents itself, the heavier gun is going to be much more stable.
I don't really like the price but I sure do like the Proof Research rifles, that new Glacier Ti looks pretty slick!!
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I don't really like the price but I sure do like the Proof Research rifles, that new Glacier Ti looks pretty slick!!

Don’t pick one up, you won’t want to put it down.
Originally Posted by KenMi
So, it looks like the general consensus is that hunters have become a bunch of pansies that can't bear to carry a 9 pound gun on a sling. Maybe they should just lose a few pounds from their gut, and then not worry about the 3 or so difference in pounds on a sling. Once the shot presents itself, the heavier gun is going to be much more stable.

This pansy uses a 10 pounder when climbing mountains and a 6 pounder when faced with a short walk to a heated stand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What about those of us already in shape that choose the lighter rifles?
When several C.F. members (all Eastern folks) packed into the Holy Cross in CO for a week, I hauled a 700 in a McMillan. When (not if) I repeat that performance, I'll likely be toting a Fieldcraft instead.
I am slightly interested in the new Model Seven HS, I have seen them on GB for around $900, I might try one in 308 or 7mm-08 just for chits and giggles.......Hb

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't carry my gut (or my azz) in my hands or on my shoulder. Until last Fall, most of my rifles were in the nine-pound class. My Fieldcraft all-up is probably less than seven. I definitely can feel the difference, not only carrying it slung, but in hand, and even sitting with it across my lap. A well-balanced light rifle mounts and holds offhand very well, maybe even better than one that's made your arms tired carrying it around. I also know that when hunting with a heavy one, I tend to switch shoulders every so often because it gets uncomfortable after a while. That wasn't the case this season with the FC.

BTW, Mule Deer says that an attitude like yours is a sign you may be a mild sociopath. Perhaps you should talk to someone.🌺

Oh the classic line....

When is the last time you threw on a pack and slung a rifle and hiked 12-14 miles in the mountains or breaks?
Posted By: prm Re: .280ai Barrett Fieldcraft.... - 02/02/19
Why would you carry a heavy rifle in the mountains?
Originally Posted by prm
Why would you carry a heavy rifle in the mountains?

So a flat-lander from MI doesn’t question your manhood?...

Ha! IMO the bigger pansie is the hunter that cant "bare" the recoil of a light Mtn rifle 😁......Hb
Loosing body weight,don't make the rifle any lighter.
Posted By: Brad Re: .280ai Barrett Fieldcraft.... - 02/02/19
Complete pansy as charged...

I don't hunt with a rifle on a sling. It is way too slow to get into action if a quick opportunity should present itself. I like the way a light rifle handles, and how easy it is to carry. I also don't need a heavy hunting rifle to steady me enough to make sure killing shots.

If you need a heavy rifle to shoot well enough on game, well, that is your choice. You could perhaps practice more though.
Some good looking hunting rifles, thanks for the share. I sure wouldn't mind
one of the lighter rifles in 7mm 08.

On a side note, iddave do you call all Michiganders/easterners, flatlanders?
Just asking because it gave me a chuckle, here in Northern Michigan we call
all of the people from downstate flat landers.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by NH K9

Yes...yes it does!

You’re gonna have to get rid of that #2 profile Creedmore to pick it up.......... smile

Ouch!!!!

The Seekins is pretty cool, but that #2 Fieldcraft is just about perfect for my preferences on little things and how I use a rifle. The Seekins really is outside my normal preferences.....that said, I'm going to tote one of the Seekins Havok's with me this morning on the really short walk to my back pasture. Next weekend will be back to the mountain sides so it will be Fieldcraft time again.

My apologies if someone already posted this. Gonna be a lot of these sold I suspect. Several interesting rifles in that article.

I love your sig line. Belongs with the other three biggest lies in the world:

I love you.
The check is in the mail.
I won't c*m in your mouth.
I really like that bottom rifle in the Manners pics.
I think I may have to spring for a Fieldcraft in .280AI. They have my attention now. Any idea of barrel length?
Originally Posted by kingston
[Linked Image]

Kingston, Who’s Carbon hardware are the NF sitting on? 😎
Not Kingston but thinking those are from MOA Rifles out of Redmond?? Think they use wrapped Benchmark barrels, I know they use Benchmark on most of their other builds. Nice rifles - but spendy grin
Originally Posted by Hudge
I think I may have to spring for a Fieldcraft in .280AI. They have my attention now. Any idea of barrel length?

24” of goodness...
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Not Kingston but thinking those are from MOA Rifles out of Redmond?? Think they use wrapped Benchmark barrels, I know they use Benchmark on most of their other builds. Nice rifles - but spendy grin

Thanks OM,

If they’re MOA, they are expensive. Quality components cost enough just for a good build. Add in name recognition for another $1k on top of parts. It can make a guy have to chase his wallet around the house. 😎
Oregonmuley is right. They were built by MOA rifles. They’ve got real trim CF barrels on them. I’m pretty sure the stocks were McMillans.
Yup, they do use McMillans, either a McMillan Hunter or Rem Hunter depending on the build. Just before last elk season my brother-in-law got his in 28 Nosler and killed a fine bull in your backyard Beaver10. Appears that when you spend that much $$$$ it also comes with good Mojo wink Here is a pic of his, not sure though if he got enough scope for it-grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I hope they make the Magazine long enough for those heavy for caliber high BC bullets!
Nice looking rig OM. Too bad the rifle didn’t come with a Sherpa to pack out his elk from the coast range. That would justify the price point a little. Grin! 😎

If I had not owned both rifles you describe , I may believe you . I just got back from the field with a Fieldcraft and took many opportunities at taking sight pictures and that rifle is real smooth and steady. An 8 pound rig can be smooth and steady too I suppose but I’m really liking the lighter one. I have not weighed it but it’s got a 3.5-10x40 Vx3i Leupold on it (Barrett).
Anyone handle or shoot the Christensen Arms Traverse pictured above?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

If I had not owned both rifles you describe , I may believe you . I just got back from the field with a Fieldcraft and took many opportunities at taking sight pictures and that rifle is real smooth and steady. An 8 pound rig can be smooth and steady too I suppose but I’m really liking the lighter one. I have not weighed it but it’s got a 3.5-10x40 Vx3i Leupold on it (Barrett).

He's just jealous because he's still using rifles from the 80's.
Posted By: Brad Re: .280ai Barrett Fieldcraft.... - 02/03/19
Originally Posted by peeshooter

As one guy said, “if you’re going to be dumb, you better be tough.”

So what is your 3 and 7 day pack weight, rifle included?

Plenty of keepers. Might have to do an extra trip for a PRC
Fixed it....

He's just jealous because he's still using white spacered rifles from the 80's.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Hudge

24” of goodness...

8 twist I suspect smile
Originally Posted by Brad

I sure don't need one as much as some of you, but NEED has nothing to do with it. I want one!
When does this Barrett Fieldcraft go on sale?. I'm waiting in line
I heard quarter 1 this year, but that's second/third-hand info.
I've been looking for a light weight 280 AI. I think this will end my search.
I'll be looking for one in 280AI and two in 223....a 18" threaded and a 21"....or whatever they decide to make.
Originally Posted by Brad

Yeah, he joined my Ignore List recently. Never has anything of any value to say.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I heard quarter 1 this year, but that's second/third-hand info.

Hopefully that is true. I get home for good in late July/early August, I think I'm going to order one. It might be next year, but I will have one!
Hoping to have one to wring out before the end of summer.
I have not played with a Fieldcraft yet, but a 24" 280 AI 8 twist has me really intrigued. However there seems to be a decent amount of feedback that the LA 24" barreled rifles have shorter/more confined mag boxes. Is this more fact or fiction? If it is Fact, would that lead you away from this rifle/cartridge if your goal was to shoot long/heavy bullets?

The 180 ELD in this combo is what I am really eluding to...
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I have not played with a Fieldcraft yet, but a 24" 280 AI 8 twist has me really intrigued. However there seems to be a decent amount of feedback that the LA 24" barreled rifles have shorter/more confined mag boxes. Is this more fact or fiction? If it is Fact, would that lead you away from this rifle/cartridge if your goal was to shoot long/heavy bullets?

The long action mag box is 3 3/8". I like having a little extra room in the mag box to load close to a kiss. The rifle will probably be put together well enough that it won't have trouble shooting well at a lot of different OAL seating depths with different bullets.....and in the end I'm good with that so I'm willing to give it a run.
Definitely will be order one of these along with a 223 Fieldcraft as soon as they're available.
Originally Posted by Hiaring8

The long action mag box is 3 3/8". I like having a little extra room in the mag box to load close to a kiss. The rifle will probably be put together well enough that it won't have trouble shooting well at a lot of different OAL seating depths with different bullets.....and in the end I'm good with that so I'm willing to give it a run.

My thoughts as well. I;m betting it will shoot them well.

But even if it won't handle the 180ELD, the 280AI/162ELD walks off and leaves the 7-08/180ELD, so it's the best you can get in a Fieldcraft.
© 24hourcampfire