Home
Hey guys,

So I purchased a Montana in 308 about 6 months back, and after shaving down the mag box it’s been a fair shooter often putting factory fodder into .75 and under. No complaints. I won that round of Kimber Roulette.

I know where I can grab a Subalpine in 280 for a smoking deal. I’ve always wanted a 280. It’s new, never fired.

It seems like the Subalpine is a Mountain Ascent without the bolt fluting and brake(and maybe a few other things). Seems to still have the fluted barrel - but maybe I’m wrong.

In any case, has there been a rash of issues with these guns? Anything above and beyond the general Montana issues? Any reason I shouldn’t pull the trigger?

Thanks guys.
Sub alpine is just the camo pattern I believe
Think just maybe some of the "Kimber Roulette" talk is not much more than old internet garbage getting recycled over and over mostly by those with no first hand experience?
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Think just maybe some of the "Kimber Roulette" talk is not much more than old internet garbage getting recycled over and over mostly by those with no first hand experience?

I had problems with two Kimber 8400's ( 300 WSM first, 270 WSM second) in the wood stocked models circa 2004 to 2006.

I've owned the Montana's in. 260 Rem, 308(2), 300 WSM (2) 325 WSM (2).

[Linked Image]
260 Rem and 325 WSM

None were 1 hole shooters, but that most likely was due to operator error.

[Linked Image]

325 WSM

They did shoot minute of critter at 100 yds.

[Linked Image]

Grandson & first deer on his 11th birthday, 260 Rem.

If it truly is a smokin' deal, I would say buy it, and if you don't like it, send it down the road. Most likely you'll get your money investment back. If not, education is usually not free.

ya!

GWB
I have bought 5 new kimber rifles in the last year ( 3 Subalpines, 2 Montana's and 1 classic select) no problems with any of the rifles and they have all been sub moa accurate with my handloads....I would buy another one tomorrow ( which i just might 😬) With no worries.....Good luck.....Hb
Originally Posted by JeffRaines
Any reason I shouldn’t pull the trigger?

No!
The older ones had a tendency to have barrel issues (personal experience)..newer ones are great!
Originally Posted by Model70Fan

Subalpine also has a fluted barrel and skeletonized extractor.....Hb
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

As does the mountain ascent if I recall correctly. The only difference I can see is optifade on one and sub alpine on the other.
Maybe Va can confirm, but I think Kimber may have changed the Subalpine recently to include all of the Ascent features.

I believe there are some new-old-stock Subalpines out there that do not have the spiral fluted bolt and Ascent-style skeletonized bolt handle.

Like this one?

Subalpine on GB

As opposed to this one:

New model Subalpine

Mountain Ascent come's with a removable muzzle brake.
I haven’t had a single issue with any of the 3 limbers I’ve bought. I’d buy another without thinking twice. In fact I wouldn’t mind having a mountain ascent in 300wsm or 30-06.
Mine in .260 gave me fits until I figured out it only likes flat base bullets. With boat tails it was a 4-5” gun. As long as I shoot sierra 120’s or Hornady 129’s it shoots about a 1 1/4” group. Good enough for our shot distance around here.
Originally Posted by geedubya

I had problems with two Kimber 8400's ( 300 WSM first, 270 WSM second) in the wood stocked models circa 2004 to 2006.

I've owned the Montana's in. 260 Rem, 308(2), 300 WSM (2) 325 WSM (2).

[Linked Image]
260 Rem and 325 WSM

None were 1 hole shooters, but that most likely was due to operator error.

[Linked Image]

325 WSM

They did shoot minute of critter at 100 yds.

[Linked Image]

Grandson & first deer on his 11th birthday, 260 Rem.

If it truly is a smokin' deal, I would say buy it, and if you don't like it, send it down the road. Most likely you'll get your money investment back. If not, education is usually not free.

ya!

GWB

Nice pictures GWB. I figured this was the case with a lot of them after my first experience. I'm absolutely sure there are some turds floating around out there(every manufacturer has those), but I think for the most part its the loose nut behind the trigger. I was really just wanting to make sure there wasn't some other glaring issue that I haven't heard of before I took the plunge.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I'm gonna be the owner of a Subalpine in 280!

As does the mountain ascent if I recall correctly. The only difference I can see is optifade on one and sub alpine on the other.

The Mtn Ascent has a spiral fluted bolt and skeletonzed bolt handle and also includes a removable muzzle brake, the Subalpine model does not have these features and new for this year you have the option of Optifade camo or Subalpine camo on the Mtn Ascent...Kimber dropped the Subalpine model for 2019 and I have seen a few good Subalpine deals pop up on GB but they dont last long......Hb

Nope
Originally Posted by Daveh
The older ones had a tendency to have barrel issues (personal experience)..newer ones are great!

Were yours the really light contour version?

A friend of mine has owned a Longmaster in 308 for a long time and it has been a great shooter.

[Linked Image]
Hell no! There are so many nice rifles out there!
PM me if you buy the rifle and I will make you a pretty good deal on brass and dies if needed.
Muzzle brakes and threaded barrels are messing up a lot of otherwise nice rifles.
Hey guys,

So I purchased a Montana in 308 about 6 months back, and after shaving down the mag box it’s been a fair shooter often putting factory fodder into .75 and under. No complaints. I won that round of Kimber Roulette.

I know where I can grab a Subalpine in 280 for a smoking deal. I’ve always wanted a 280. It’s new, never fired.

It seems like the Subalpine is a Mountain Ascent without the bolt fluting and brake(and maybe a few other things). Seems to still have the fluted barrel - but maybe I’m wrong.

In any case, has there been a rash of issues with these guns? Anything above and beyond the general Montana issues? Any reason I shouldn’t pull the trigger?

Thanks guys.

How did it shoot before you "shaved down the mag box?"
Barrett Fieldcraft made playing Kimber Roulette obsolete

Trystan

Originally Posted by CWT
Muzzle brakes and threaded barrels are messing up a lot of otherwise nice rifles.

Was on the fence about purchasing one of the new Montana’s with the threaded barrel, but imo it’s very well done and really not an issue.
Threaded barrels are just ugly to me. But I am an old man now, heck I still like nice wood and blued steel.
Originally Posted by trystan

Maybe for you, but not for me. No locking bolt on a hunting rifle? Seriously? Even my POS Savage Weather Warrior has a locking bolt handle as does my Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.2 made in 1954. I won't buy a Fieldcraft, Remington clone or any bolt action rifle that doesn't have a locking bolt.

Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

Not so sure about that.
Have had zero issues with my Montana’s and they are as pleasing to the eye and feel as good in the hand as just about any rifle that I have ever carried.
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Hey guys,

Thanks guys.

How did it shoot before you "shaved down the mag box?"

Didn’t bother trying - as soon as I received it I checked it over according to the Montana preflight and found the mag box binding. Took it to the grinder at work and it was good. Like I mentioned, no issues with it shooting. It’ll shoot most factory stuff into an inch and precision hunter/match into .75 or better. I’m sure handloads would be better but honestly I bought it for a 500 yard rifle and it’ll do that easily. Maybe one day I’ll break down and work up a load for it.

Trystan

affirmative!
Originally Posted by Fotis

Trystan

affirmative!

I disagree here, the Ergo's of the Kimber Montana stock are miles ahead of the Fieldcraft.....I actually planned to buy a Fieldcraft till i got a chance to handle one and for Me it feels like a 2x4 compared to a Kimber Montana....Hb
I wouldn't have minded a Fieldcraft, but I got a good deal on the Kimber. Not only that, Barret isn't yet offering them in 280(I know, its coming)... not to mention they don't offer any of the long action cartridges in a threaded model.
Originally Posted by Fotis

Trystan

affirmative!

This
Originally Posted by CWT
Threaded barrels are just ugly to me. But I am an old man now, heck I still like nice wood and blued steel.

You got that right! I have a replacement Kimber (Montana) that is only available with threads for a brake (this for a 7mm08?), and is real ugly. Plus the coarse steel checkering tears up anything I lean it against. It came with a factory 100 yard target that suggests it may shoot well, but even if so, it will be like trying to love a hammer.
Cut the threads off and have it crowned. You’ll lose about 1/2”. Easy fix!
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Yep.I agree. I just don't get all the muzzle brakes on rifles these days or the allure of a suppressor.
Originally Posted by CWT

Yep.I agree. I just don't get all the muzzle brakes on rifles these days or the allure of a suppressor.

I agree, I dont get it either...a Muzzle brake on bolt action .308 win? Really?......Hb
Originally Posted by CWT

I agree, I dont get it either...a Muzzle brake on bolt action .308 win? Really?......Hb

And why is this a "standard" barrel treatment lately. I suspect 95 percent hate these screwy things. If anything at all, this ought to be a special request option.
Yeah but for some reason a bunch of rifle makers feel they got to put this abomination on the end of their barrels......Hb
Like the 308, 280’s are fun to work with.
I've got 2 Kimber's, 1 Montana in 25-06 and an wood/blues 270 both from the 2006-2008 period. Both are shooters, not one-holers, but better than MOA. Neither likes to be pushed velocity-wise, but give them a velocity they like and they settled right down. For the most part agree on the threading, however my wife just got diagnosed with neck and spine issues and Dr said to minimize the recoil. A 6.5 or 270 with a brake might be ugly, but if it keeps her smiling and shooting I'll make it happen.

A smoking deal on a new Kimber in a caliber you want is a no-brainer. It is probably going to shoot just fine. If it doesn't shoot the way you want, you can easily recoup your money, so it is pretty much a risk-free proposition.
© 24hourcampfire