Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JeffRaines
Hey guys,

So I purchased a Montana in 308 about 6 months back, and after shaving down the mag box it’s been a fair shooter often putting factory fodder into .75 and under. No complaints. I won that round of Kimber Roulette.

I know where I can grab a Subalpine in 280 for a smoking deal. I’ve always wanted a 280. It’s new, never fired.

It seems like the Subalpine is a Mountain Ascent without the bolt fluting and brake(and maybe a few other things). Seems to still have the fluted barrel - but maybe I’m wrong.

In any case, has there been a rash of issues with these guns? Anything above and beyond the general Montana issues? Any reason I shouldn’t pull the trigger?

Thanks guys.

How did it shoot before you "shaved down the mag box?"

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Barrett Fieldcraft made playing Kimber Roulette obsolete

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by CWT
Muzzle brakes and threaded barrels are messing up a lot of otherwise nice rifles.

Was on the fence about purchasing one of the new Montana’s with the threaded barrel, but imo it’s very well done and really not an issue.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Threaded barrels are just ugly to me. But I am an old man now, heck I still like nice wood and blued steel.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by trystan

Maybe for you, but not for me. No locking bolt on a hunting rifle? Seriously? Even my POS Savage Weather Warrior has a locking bolt handle as does my Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.2 made in 1954. I won't buy a Fieldcraft, Remington clone or any bolt action rifle that doesn't have a locking bolt.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

Not so sure about that.
Have had zero issues with my Montana’s and they are as pleasing to the eye and feel as good in the hand as just about any rifle that I have ever carried.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Hey guys,

So I purchased a Montana in 308 about 6 months back, and after shaving down the mag box it’s been a fair shooter often putting factory fodder into .75 and under. No complaints. I won that round of Kimber Roulette.

I know where I can grab a Subalpine in 280 for a smoking deal. I’ve always wanted a 280. It’s new, never fired.

It seems like the Subalpine is a Mountain Ascent without the bolt fluting and brake(and maybe a few other things). Seems to still have the fluted barrel - but maybe I’m wrong.

In any case, has there been a rash of issues with these guns? Anything above and beyond the general Montana issues? Any reason I shouldn’t pull the trigger?

Thanks guys.

How did it shoot before you "shaved down the mag box?"

Didn’t bother trying - as soon as I received it I checked it over according to the Montana preflight and found the mag box binding. Took it to the grinder at work and it was good. Like I mentioned, no issues with it shooting. It’ll shoot most factory stuff into an inch and precision hunter/match into .75 or better. I’m sure handloads would be better but honestly I bought it for a 500 yard rifle and it’ll do that easily. Maybe one day I’ll break down and work up a load for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Trystan

affirmative!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Fotis

Trystan

affirmative!

I disagree here, the Ergo's of the Kimber Montana stock are miles ahead of the Fieldcraft.....I actually planned to buy a Fieldcraft till i got a chance to handle one and for Me it feels like a 2x4 compared to a Kimber Montana....Hb

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I wouldn't have minded a Fieldcraft, but I got a good deal on the Kimber. Not only that, Barret isn't yet offering them in 280(I know, its coming)... not to mention they don't offer any of the long action cartridges in a threaded model.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fotis

Trystan

affirmative!

This

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by CWT
Threaded barrels are just ugly to me. But I am an old man now, heck I still like nice wood and blued steel.

You got that right! I have a replacement Kimber (Montana) that is only available with threads for a brake (this for a 7mm08?), and is real ugly. Plus the coarse steel checkering tears up anything I lean it against. It came with a factory 100 yard target that suggests it may shoot well, but even if so, it will be like trying to love a hammer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cut the threads off and have it crowned. You’ll lose about 1/2”. Easy fix!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Yep.I agree. I just don't get all the muzzle brakes on rifles these days or the allure of a suppressor.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by CWT

Yep.I agree. I just don't get all the muzzle brakes on rifles these days or the allure of a suppressor.

I agree, I dont get it either...a Muzzle brake on bolt action .308 win? Really?......Hb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by CWT

I agree, I dont get it either...a Muzzle brake on bolt action .308 win? Really?......Hb

And why is this a "standard" barrel treatment lately. I suspect 95 percent hate these screwy things. If anything at all, this ought to be a special request option.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah but for some reason a bunch of rifle makers feel they got to put this abomination on the end of their barrels......Hb

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Like the 308, 280’s are fun to work with.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I've got 2 Kimber's, 1 Montana in 25-06 and an wood/blues 270 both from the 2006-2008 period. Both are shooters, not one-holers, but better than MOA. Neither likes to be pushed velocity-wise, but give them a velocity they like and they settled right down. For the most part agree on the threading, however my wife just got diagnosed with neck and spine issues and Dr said to minimize the recoil. A 6.5 or 270 with a brake might be ugly, but if it keeps her smiling and shooting I'll make it happen.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

A smoking deal on a new Kimber in a caliber you want is a no-brainer. It is probably going to shoot just fine. If it doesn't shoot the way you want, you can easily recoup your money, so it is pretty much a risk-free proposition.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,428
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.