Home
Posted By: TimberRunner New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Thinking about a new rifle.

This is a western elk, bear and deer rifle, light weight, maybe 6-7 lbs. Have a 300wsm in kimber MA, but it looks like my buddy is using it at least this year, so I'm going to spring on a new one.

Don't have time for a custom, so something off the shelf. Budget up to $2500. Probably keep in 300wsm, just cause I've been happy with the weight of the short actions, but open to others.

Any thoughts? Appreciate all input.......
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
I have three rifles chambered in 300 WSM, two of them are Kimbers, one is a Montana and the other is a Subalpine model, I love them both so if I were you id buy another Kimber đź‘Ť.......Good luck...Hb
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
I'd reclaim my 300WSM and have your buddy buy his own elk rifle.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
^ This ...
Or, Fieldcraft in 30/06 and SHV 3-10 forceplex. ~$2500 all up with rings.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Buddy=client=buddy.

I agreed to provide the rifle for his hunt. Told my bride it means I have to buy another one. Its a life well lived.
Posted By: PA_Bob Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
280, 280 AI, or 30-06. Rem 700 Mtn; Leupold 2.5-8x36mm https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-2-5-8x36mm. Done.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Dunno if It's available but I bought a model 7 recently and really like the balance and weight.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I agreed to provide the rifle for his hunt. Told my bride it means I have to buy another one. Its a life well lived.

I need to try that! Good job! wink
Posted By: JMR40 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Winchester EW in 300 WSM. If you order NOW you can probably have an EDGE stock for it by September. Weight will be around 6 1/2 lbs in an Edge stock, 7 1/2 lbs scoped if you choose the scope and mounts carefully. Add another 1/2 lb if you keep it in the factory stock. An 8 lb rifle including optics isn't bad, especially in a magnum round. Or for a lot less money a Tikka. It'll be lighter, and probably more accurate as well as less expensive. You can buy 3 with your budget.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19

308 or 270 Montana.
Posted By: smallfry Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Or a 7mm-08. Just got one.
Posted By: MileHighShooter Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Another kimber?
Posted By: old_willys Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
You can’t go wrong with a Fieldcraft in caliber of your choice. Have one in 270 that shoots under moa with several factory loads
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
I’m partial to the kimbers myself but if I was buying another gun now I’d get a 308 fieldcraft with the 18” barrel and throw an shv 3-10 on it with Talley lightweight rings.
Posted By: Bisley Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
X-bolt Hell's canyon
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
fieldcraft or montana, good glass, good mounts, ta daa.
Lots of fieldcraft so far. Like the Winchester EW with EDGE idea too.

I've got some glass that I can move around, so not worried about that.

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep 'em coming. I think I will try and order something next week.
Posted By: Fotis Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Tikka t3x super lite. Pick your caliber and scope
Posted By: Poconojack Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19

[b][/b]

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep 'em coming. I think I will try and order something next week.

Seems like there’s more Montana.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
If you shoot the Kimber you loaned out well, get another but in a different caliber. My problem has always been trying to use rifles that are "too light". I just don't shoot them well and anything less than 22" feels "whippy" to me. So, having said that, If you want another make, I too think the Mod 70 EW, Edge stock with a Medium sized variable is your huckleberry. Pick a cartridge, but 30-06 to 7mm Rem Mags are fine flat/hard shooting Moutain calibers.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

[b][/b]

Seems like there’s more Montana.

Yeah, you might be right. Maybe they need another look.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Or a 700Ti in 308 or 300saum.
Posted By: beretzs Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19

This is a western elk, bear and deer rifle, light weight, maybe 6-7 lbs. Have a 300wsm in kimber MA, but it looks like my buddy is using it at least this year, so I'm going to spring on a new one.

Don't have time for a custom, so something off the shelf. Budget up to $2500. Probably keep in 300wsm, just cause I've been happy with the weight of the short actions, but open to others.

I’d grab one of the Kimber Sub Alpines at Cabelas for 1200 bucks in 30-06, put a great scope on it and pass that to your buddy and get your 300 back.
Posted By: Aviator Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Fieldcraft In 280 AI if they get them out before hunting season!
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Or a 700Ti in 308 or 300saum. [Linked Image]

You selling one?
Posted By: bwinters Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
Kimber Montana 280 AI, NF SHV in Talley rings. May happen to have that set up - and it's going elk hunting this fall.
Posted By: pete53 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/04/19
buy either a 7 Rem. mag OR A 300 Win.mag. reason ammo is easy to find any place,next just buy a standard better priced rifle in a s.s. plastic stock my 1st choice would be a Savage they shoot very good out of the box ,barrel should be at least 24 inches long or a Remington,Ruger or even a Browning rifle .now for the mounts spend a little more and put a Picatinny base and rings on your rifle. next buy a decent Leupold scope maybe a 4.5-14x56 matte finish. now also buy a harris bi-pod 27 inch swivel type adjustable they cost around $100.00 and get a decent wide nylon type sling,
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New mountain rifle - 07/05/19
Fieldcraft 7-08 and 180 ELD's.

Hint...............
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: New mountain rifle - 07/05/19
Christiansen Arms Ridgeline.
Trite on COAL and a Goat Fhuqk to boot.

Hint.................
Posted By: longshot3631 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/05/19
I have multiple lightweight rifles but if you’re wanting a short mag, I’d go ridgeline. My 26 Nosler balances well, isn’t too terribly heavily and shoots Amazing with accubond LR.
Pass the Montucky 7 Whizzum and hold the fhuqking Fluff.

Hint................
If your budget is 2500 I have a 30-06 rem 700 Mountain rifle with Tupperware stock I guess I could let go.....I’ll even throw in the Nikon BDC scope it’s wearing for a little extra.

Oh, plus shipping

All kidding aside, don’t know why I would want for anything else in a mountain rifle. Plenty of punch, very light and shoots righjt around MOA with really no fuss.

MM
Posted By: comerade Re: New mountain rifle - 07/05/19
I live in the western slope of the Rockies. Mountain hunting in my book includes Bighorns and Bull Elk, Sheep are at the very top of the list.
I have gone to takedown rifles, they stay safe and dry in my pack, hold their Zero. You can budget a takedown Browning BLR for under 2500.00.
A .270, .280 or 30/06 is ideal and a 22" or shorter barrel is a must( if it isn't a takedown).
Get the best binoculars you can afford and get fit....my little old opinion.
Posted By: longshot3631 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by comerade
and get fit....my little old opinion.

2x my best good friend is an Army Ranger and totes around a 56 pound 50cal in the mountains of Afghanistan. So as we all have and LOVE lightweight rifles, hit the mountains with a pack loaded everyday and any ole accurate huntin’ rifle will suffice.

However, the more I shoot my Barrett Fieldcraft, the more I love it!
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by longshot3631
Originally Posted by comerade
and get fit....my little old opinion.

2x my best good friend is an Army Ranger and totes around a 56 pound 50cal in the mountains of Afghanistan.

Your buddy is probably carrying more than that in total weight. However, the M107 rifle is only around 28 lbs and an assembled M2 machine gun weighs 88 lbs not counting the tripod. His rifle, optics, and basic load of ammunition might total 56 pounds or more. I'd guess his rifle with NV optics and a full magazine of 10 rounds probably hits around 35 lbs mark on the scales.
Posted By: JJWise Re: New mountain rifle - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Dunno if It's available but I bought a model 7 recently and really like the balance and weight.

I really like mine in 308 as well, from the factory it was just under 6.5lbs (7.2 with scope). Then I got a new stock for it from a member on here and it’s 5.75lbs (6.5 with scope). Total for the rifle and stock I only spent $1050. It’s my go-to gun for everything now. Lighter and cheaper than a 300WSM Kimber Montana.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: New mountain rifle - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Yup.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19

Guys, this is a thinly veiled excuse to buy another rifle.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
Originally Posted by JMR40

Guys, this is a thinly veiled excuse to buy another rifle.

This much is true. But as a client he's paid a good part of my mortgage.

We both pulled NR big game combos in MT, and while he could afford a rifle or use one he has, I decided it was a good excuse for a new one and went a long way to convince him to go. A nice gesture for a long term business relationship too!

RE-visiting christensen arms. I have handled a few. So many decisions.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
I stand by my Fieldcraft suggestion but if you are set on the whizzum, just buy another Montana and be done with it! Life is short. Put up an add for a known shooter. Plenty of Montana 300 wizzums out there, and the Montana stock mitigates the felt recoil better than most.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
Mark V Outfitter or Ultra Lightweight in 6.5-.300 or .300 Wby or .300 Win
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
I can agree on the 280AI Fieldcraft, but if you want a little more punch, I would take a look at the Bergara Premier Mountain Rifle in 300WM.

It's about the same weight as the Montana 300WSM. Here's a link:

Bergara Premier Mountain Rifle
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
Originally Posted by Aviator

I would be shocked. I’m not bailing, but I sure as h$ll am not planning on one for this season - especially since we start in a month!
Posted By: jmdriver Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
Not mine

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820163170
Posted By: Hudge Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Aviator

I would be shocked. I’m not bailing, but I sure as h$ll am not planning on one for this season - especially since we start in a month!

I'd like to know when we can expect one in stores, as I'd love to get my hands on one.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
My top 3 would be:

FC 7-08
Montana 7WSM
Montana 6.5 Creed
Posted By: longshot3631 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
Originally Posted by jmdriver

I trade to trade him out of that. I bought a brand new 30-06 in that subalpine about 7 months ago for less than 1K and it shoots great and handles even better. Needless to say, he didn’t want what I was trading!
Posted By: Windfall Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
There are lots of us who have built up a 7# all up magnum mountain rifle years back that have gotten too old to chase through the mountains any longer. In your case I would be watching Gun Broker or similar sites for something less expensive and higher end than a new factory offering.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New mountain rifle - 07/06/19
A Montucky 7 Whizzum with 180 ELD's has no fhuqking equal.

Hint..................
Posted By: Overkill375 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/07/19
Barrett FC in 30-06
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New mountain rifle - 07/07/19
Honey,

The FC in L/A is a Goat Fhuqk due COAL.

You'd do well,to have a FIRST fhuqking clue.

hint....................
Posted By: 375sunrise Re: New mountain rifle - 07/07/19
I have an HS Precision in 300 WSM that is really nice that I don't shoot anymore if you are interested. This is a great mountain rifle & in excellent condition w/ low round count. It is priced below your budget which is about 50% off a new one.
HS is a bitter pill. Congratulations?!?

Hint...........
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Honey,

The FC in L/A is a Goat Fhuqk due COAL.

You'd do well,to have a FIRST fhuqking clue.

hint....................

3 elk, an antelope, and 6 deer it’s first season could argue your point. Some of us actually hunt you moron. He’s asking about a mountain rifle not a paper puncher. And with a factory load it will shoot 1.1 at 300 yards good enough for anything I would hunt in the mountains. But no problem I have seen enough of your idiotic posts to realize you will now misspell 10 pretend swear words and ask about my estrogen count so not sure why I even bothered. Hint hint hint
And if calling me honey is your idea of hitting on me sorry I’m straight.
Honey,

Rocks have killed more. No need to horn yourself up. Hint. Congratulations?!?

HS fails at handles,ergo's and actions...in no particular fhuqking order.

Hint....................
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/07/19
Hey stick...hugged ALL of your kids lately?
Schitshim,

I enjoy your Whining Dumbfhuqktitude. Congratulationsa?!?

Like YOU could "afford" an HS sticker.

Bless your heart for Crying.

Hint...............

[Linked Image]
Honey,

Rocks have killed more. No need to horn yourself up. Hint. Congratulations?!?

HS fails at handles,ergo's and actions...in no particular fhuqking order.

Hint....................

Rocks can tear holes in paper too you idiot. The original post asked for specific parameters I tried to stay close to those. Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiint
Underschill,

Folks who "know" as "much" as you,will do best by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Your DUMBfhuqktitude is glaring. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint..................
Underschill,

Folks who "know" as "much" as you,will do best by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Your DUMBfhuqktitude is glaring. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint..................

Sounds good I’ll be sure to ask you for advice if I want to destroy good rifles or if I need pointers on how to claim government benefits for mental disabilitys.
Pardon my shooting it all,as you bask in the "sanctity" of your STUPIDITY. Congratulations?!?

Hint....................i
Posted By: longshot3631 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/07/19
Wow, how did this post turn into this?!? SMH Love a good mountain rifle, hate an idiot!
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: New mountain rifle - 07/08/19
Wow, how did this post turn into this?!? SMH Love a good mountain rifle, hate an idiot!

It's officially off the rails now.

Thanks to all who offered their input.

I've got some ideas and some offers. I'm well on my way.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New mountain rifle - 07/08/19
You Snowflakes Melt so fast,that it is simply incredible. Congratulations?!?

Hint.....................
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New mountain rifle - 07/08/19
While HS stocks and DBM's suck heavy ass,they do in fairness make a Skookum spout.

[Linked Image]

Hint...............
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/08/19

It's officially off the rails now.

Thanks to all who offered their input.

I've got some ideas and some offers. I'm well on my way.

Let us know what follows.you home.
Posted By: Jpterry Re: New mountain rifle - 07/08/19
Picking up a Remington KS Mountain Rifle from 80s or early 90s with Brown or McMillan stock is never a bad option. I've had several and all have been great shooters and less than 6.5lbs.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New mountain rifle - 07/09/19
I've only done 'em in McMillan. Nice way to fly in a L/A due a 700's inherent COAL latitude,but a Goat Fhuqk in S/A,for the opposite reason. Congratulations?!?

A Fieldcraft 7-08 and 180's steals the fhuqking show there.

Hint............
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: New mountain rifle - 07/10/19
I too have a .30-06 FC. I like it, COAL shortcomings be damned. I wanted to shoot factory Barnes 168gr in it and it worked very well with those. I can point it at any elk or deer to 500 yards and expect it to die if I pull the trigger. I don’t need the maximum potential out of it, just enough to get to 500 yards (more likely 400 where I hunt). The ergos are about perfect for me with a Conquest 3-9 or vortex razor lh 2-10x40.
Posted By: zeissman Re: New mountain rifle - 07/10/19
Sako Finnlight II in 300 WSM. Accurate, reasonably light, cerakoted stainless, seriously nice. Have one in .308 but was keenly looking at the 300 WSM on the rack above it when I bought it some months back.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New mountain rifle - 07/11/19
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
I too have a .30-06 FC. I like it, COAL shortcomings be damned. I wanted to shoot factory Barnes 168gr in it and it worked very well with those. I can point it at any elk or deer to 500 yards and expect it to die if I pull the trigger. I don’t need the maximum potential out of it, just enough to get to 500 yards (more likely 400 where I hunt). The ergos are about perfect for me with a Conquest 3-9 or vortex razor lh 2-10x40.

It is a Fascinating "approach",to make excuses for your L/A Goat Fhuqk,to salve your INCREDIBLE Fhuqking Stupidity. Congratulations?!?

P.S. and by the way,it ain't working...mainly because it can't.

Bless your heart for TRYING though.

Hint.

Laughing!...............
Originally Posted by zeissman
Sako Finnlight II in 300 WSM. Accurate, reasonably light, cerakoted stainless, seriously nice. Have one in .308 but was keenly looking at the 300 WSM on the rack above it when I bought it some months back.

You couldn't critique a fhuqking sheet of tinfoil. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

LAUGHING!.............
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: New mountain rifle - 07/11/19
Ol know it all Richard Cranium at it again. Too bad someone up your way doesn't just slap your a$$ to the ground. If you ever come to Tennessee you can teach me something about being perfect and I'll teach you a lesson in humility and respect.
Slowdog,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST. Congratulations?!?

Rest assured,that NOBODY can disrespect you,more than you can,by simply doing your BEST...you "lucky" kchunt.

Bless your heart for Crying.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Tikka T3/x in caliber of your choice (apparently 300wsm). Order a Micky Sako Hunter with Edge fill now. If it arrives in time, great. If it does not, no big deal, hunt with the stock stock. Top with an optic appropriate to your terrain, and don't look back.

FWIW, my two primary hunting rifles are both T3s wearing McMillan stocks and they are both elk killing machines.

300WM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
McQueenSagepoos,

LW's puke farrr too easily,for folks who actually use rifles. Congratulations?!?

Your best is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS!

Hint.

Laughing!.....................
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: New mountain rifle - 07/24/19
Follow up.

Christensen arms ridgeline in 300wsm. Used, very lightly. Supposedly made one trip to Africa and then got sold back to LGS?

Anyway, it's mine and I'm looking forward to getting some range time to see if the hype is real. Fit and finish are excellent, action very smooth. Glass to be mounted hopefully by this weekend if I can sneak an hour or two.
Posted By: beretzs Re: New mountain rifle - 07/24/19
I have one in a 300 RUM and so far it has been a good rifle. Pretty danged accurate with the first few loads and continues to do well as I work it out during the summer. Good luck with it and let us know how it does for you.
© 24hourcampfire