Home
Posted By: lastround Under Gunned? - 08/22/19
I have been deer hunting (whitetails) for what will be 55 years this year, Lord willing. I have never owned a rifle (except for a lever action 44 magnum) with the word “Magnum” in it’s chambering. I have Elk hunted just once and successfully used a .308 Winchester. I have owned rifles chambered from the 223 Remington up to and including the 30-06 Springfield. I currently have a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm-08 Remington and feel like I am well chambered for anything I have hunted and will hunt in the future. No Grizzleys in my future. My battery is complete. Call me a wuss if you want, but I’ve always liked shooting rifles that hurt worse on the front end than they do on the back end. Anybody else think the same way I think?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Under Gunned? - 08/22/19
purt' much.....
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Under Gunned? - 08/22/19
Yep, I rather use my .243 or 25-06 for whitetails, rather than my .308 or 30-06 !

In fact, the oly reason I still have either big gun, is sentimental value.

The .308 is a Savage M99 & the 30-06 is a Browning (miroku) 1895.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Under Gunned? - 08/22/19
Nope. smile
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Under Gunned? - 08/22/19
I have used some pretty small rounds...and some pretty big ones. Lots of mid sized too. Admittedly, I have come away with the "liking for game" the .280 over the 7mm/08; the 6.5/284 over the .260; the 30-06 over the 30-30 ( 308 same as '06 to me!) and the 300 mags over the 30-06 when it comes to elk. Anything over 30cal is just and has always been "just for grins" for me, ha. While I have had many big, honking .458WM, 458 Lott, 404 Jeffery, .416 Taylor, .416 Remington mag and 416 Rigby....I've never killed game with anything bigger than a .375 H&H/270 Failsafe. Lots of game with 338WM, 340W, 338 RUM. I could not benefit from a 300 RUM over a 300WM as I don't shoot at unwounded game much past 300yds anyhow. I just got another 300WM, but I am only going to use the 150s in it. Barnes for elk, partition for deer, etc. I will also load up some reduced loads ( sorta reduced 2750fps to 2800) with Hornady 150 SST just for grins or coyotes. No use jarring my eye teeth with hot 180s and 200s in my future anymore. smile
Posted By: ERK Re: Under Gunned? - 08/22/19
I had a 22 mag but it kicked to hard so I got rid of it for a standard 22. Ed k
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Under Gunned? - 08/22/19

Last 40 years chasing PA and NY bucks with a Remington Classic 270. In deference to both age and lightweight rifles, this year will find me on the mountain carrying a 308 Montana.
Have always felt perfectly gunned.
Posted By: lastround Re: Under Gunned? - 08/22/19
Originally Posted by ERK

Bless your heart!
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Under Gunned? - 08/22/19
The one rifle that I have that can hurt to shoot a lot is my Guide gun.

Most of the time, though, I'm either using a .308 or .30-30. I recognize the versatility of the .308, and I don't think there's an easier-carrying rifle than a Model 94 Winchester.
Posted By: Trystan Re: Under Gunned? - 08/22/19
Originally Posted by lastround
I have been deer hunting (whitetails) for what will be 55 years this year, Lord willing. I have never owned a rifle (except for a lever action 44 magnum) with the word “Magnum” in it’s chambering. I have Elk hunted just once and successfully used a .308 Winchester. I have owned rifles chambered from the 223 Remington up to and including the 30-06 Springfield. I currently have a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm-08 Remington and feel like I am well chambered for anything I have hunted and will hunt in the future. No Grizzleys in my future. My battery is complete. Call me a wuss if you want, but I’ve always liked shooting rifles that hurt worse on the front end than they do on the back end. Anybody else think the same way I think?

Lots of men out there that don't mind recoil one damn bit! I'm fact my uncle that just got shoulder surgery on his shooting shoulder said that [bleep] never bothered him a damn bit either. In fact if your touph enouph you can get every kind of surgery known to man at some point

I used to work with an oldtimer that wasn't all that touph but somehow managed to get more done at the end of the day than the young "TOUPH" guys. I remember he used to always tell me two things. He said: "Son, work smarter not harder" He also said something about "all braun and no brain!"

I'd like to think I fall into the work smarter crowd! In fact my largest caliber at the moment is a 6.5X55 sweedmoor. No I've never had shoulder surgery

Trystan
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Under Gunned? - 08/22/19
When I started hunting in the 1970's conventional wisdom among my mentors and other hunters I knew was that 30-06 was middle of the road, 270 was borderline too small for deer and certainly anything smaller than 270 was not adequate. I don't believe that was ever true, but especially with the better bullets and loads we have today my 30-06 is my big gun. And I've had the 30 caliber and 7mm magnums in the past as well as 338-06 and 35 Whelen.

There are folks killing elk at near 1/2 mile with 243's. Not that I would advocate that, but it's being done. I don't see how anyone can justify anything larger than 30 caliber anymore unless you're hunting Africa. I'm now of the opinion now that anything 26 caliber and up will take any game animal in North America. It all boils down to how far you want to shoot, and how much recoil you're willing to tolerate. I down sized to 308 about 10 years ago, and recently bought a 6.5 CM just to see what the fuss is all about. Never had a 7-08, but if anything it is a touch better than my 308. At least on paper. I don't feel a bit handicapped.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
The only magnum I own right now is a 300H&H. One 30-06 is next largest BG rifle.

Everything else is smaller and lighter. Two 308s, a 280, one 275Rigby with another in the works, 257Roberts and a 6mm CM forthcoming.

The 300H&H, 30-06 and/or the 275 may be sold. Long range downsizing in numbers and size.

Posted By: GregW Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19

You're not under-gunned....you're properly gunned...

Never owned a cartridge needing more than about 55 grains of powder per shot in my life and never will. It's simply not needed. Those who say it is don't get out or kill much...
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
Wuss.

You asked for it.

P
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
Yeah I dont "need" a 395HP V8 in My F150 but I like it, just like My .300's 👍 and I could care less what anybody else shoots (even the phag's that shoot creedmoor's 😁) .....Good hunting...Hb
Posted By: Sako Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
Keep in mind that bullet technology has changed a lot and has helped a lot for smaller calibers... However, if you think a 30-06 is a big gun.... HA... you have no clue what a big gun is... I have no idea why guys are shy about recoil... never once had an issue with it and never once felt it when I shot a deer either
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19

I have to admit that since 1979, up until 2007, I hunted almost exclusively with the 7mm Rem Mag. Loved it and still do, however, for the last 12 years or so I've almost exclusively hunted with the 7mm08, occasionally lately the 6.5CM, and slay pigs with an old Marlin 336 30-30. The older I get the less I like recoil or intend to tolerate it, and being reoil shy is a far cry from not liking it, BTW. Unless I go to Africa again, or maybe Newfoundland moose, I don't see using the ol' 7mag much. I don't feel I've missed anything either.
Posted By: lastround Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Wuss.

You asked for it.

P

I guess I did at that.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
I still tend to hunt elk with a .338WM when I rifle hunt them. Not because I believe it's needed, but I've been using it for decades with no issues and it's an accurate rifle. For me it started as a young lad hearing stories about how ineffective smaller calibers were on game. So seeking advice, I read everything by everyone, and found many favorable comments about the .338WM. Then read a well respected author who said the perfect big game battery may well be a .257 Roberts & a .338WM. His comments about the versatility of the quarter bore made a ton of sense to me so I followed his advice. I used Jack O'Conners .257R load recommendations, including for varmints, and Layne Simpsons favorite .338WM load. I was happy.

Over the years bullets have gotten much better. Performance is outstanding, and consistent. While I've gradually found myself not using much of what used to be considered middle ground calibers I can't seem to let go of them, and while I rarely get any bigger ones out for much, I still reach for the .338WM when going after elk. The stock is well worn, bluing has been worn off in spots long ago but it still shoots better than I do, and works so well on elk it's hard to ignore.

All that being said, I use 22 & 25 calibers a lot. I'd have a tough time letting go of that Roberts. I'd probably not miss half of my accumulation.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
I'm no fan of recoil. Have owned and shot a lot of "magnums". Worst kickin rifle I ever shot was my first deer rifle. a model 94 30-30 with a curved steel butt plate. Put a lot of venison on the table with it before I "discovered" recoil pads. Pass the 270.
Posted By: jwall Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah I dont "need" a 395HP V8 in My F150 but I like it, just like My .300's 👍 and I could care less what anybody else shoots (even the phag's that shoot creedmoor's 😁) .....Good hunting...Hb

grin grin

Pretty Similar here.

What difference does it matter to anyone what Rifle or cartridge someone else likes and uses??
Self assurance ? Insecurity ?

IF it’s legal I don’t care if someone hunts .17 or .204 OR 378 RUM.

For myself, it’s not a matter of Power (fpe) or powder charge. I hunt a variety of
terrain/topography. I can be in a thicket OR an open pasture on any given day.
MY requirement is FLAT trajectory and that’s hard to get with SLOW bullets.

I’m 69 yo, and in the last few years I have come to the opinion that a 7 Mag (Rem or Wby)
is one of the BEST all around cartridges out there. Close OR Far the 7 is FLAT and dependable. I’ve killed WT at 12’ (feet) and out to ~400 yds with the 7s.

The 270 / 280 are not far behind but NOT the equal of a 7.

Over my WT hunting career I’ve killed WT with 243, 6 mm, 6.5x55, 270, 7 RM,
30-30, 308, 06, 300 WM, 8 mm RM, 358 W, 35 Whelen and

44 RM, & 54 cal Mzldr. I’m familiar with trajectories of all of em.

It doesn’t take a cannon to kill WT but all rounds are NOT flat shooting.

Hunt and shoot what you like and don’t worry about what ANYONE else thinks.

Jerry

Oops - forgot the 284 W.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
.....................................Nope!! +2.......Someone else said nope so I concur.

I like my 4. Nobody else shoots 'em. My money bought them. And I can more than handle the recoil. I don't get hurt on the back end from either. However on the receiving end??? You can figure that one out.....

And besides. All magnum owners who reload, can always use the faster burning powders to reduce the velocities if the need for the higher velocities isn't needed. THAT is seldom discussed anytime this subject presents itself.

OH! Ya gots a magnum? WHY,,,what in hell ya need a magnum for? All ya need is a 270 or "06............LOL>>>LOL>>>LOL........

And I'm thinkin..... Get yer ass back to your bench and don't worry about what I shoot!!!....Continuing my thoughts....When your $$$$ buys me my rifles, then I will heed your advice for further consideration........LOL>>>LOL
Posted By: las Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
I like my .338WM. Last shot about 10 years ago. Just because I've been shooting others.... the recoil doesn't bother me any. Nor the weight, for what I use it for.

The .260 ( rebarreled from .244) Rem 725 just took two caribou - probably use it for moose too.

Single shots work, but I really gotta replace that broken extractor....... the replacement has been sitting on the gun cabinet shelf for a year now... smile
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
Originally Posted by Sako
Keep in mind that bullet technology has changed a lot and has helped a lot for smaller calibers... However, if you think a 30-06 is a big gun.... HA... you have no clue what a big gun is... I have no idea why guys are shy about recoil... never once had an issue with it and never once felt it when I shot a deer either

Don't know about the rest of you fellas,but I'm impressed.
Posted By: jwall Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
Originally Posted by Otter6

Sako isn't the only one.

Originally Posted by las
I like my .338WM. Last shot about 10 years ago. Just because I've been shooting others.... the recoil doesn't bother me any. Nor the weight, for what I use it for.

I don't notice recoil WHEN hunting, the concentration and excitement are dominating.

Jerry
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
I have never been recoil shy. I have always shot 7 mags as my go-to rifles. I now own an'06 that kicks harder than either of my magnums. I have pretty much benched all of them in lieu of my Creed and .260s. The lighter recoil is much more fun at the range and since I primarily hunt deer and antelope, I don't need the heavy bullets all that badly, now.

As I get older, I guess in some ways I get a bit smarter. I used to think that it was all about velocity etc., but now, with all of the good bullets and powders, it just is not necessary to shoot heavy kickers for most hunting.
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I have never been recoil shy. I have always shot 7 mags as my go-to rifles. I now own an'06 that kicks harder than either of my magnums. I have pretty much benched all of them in lieu of my Creed and .260s. The lighter recoil is much more fun at the range and since I primarily hunt deer and antelope, I don't need the heavy bullets all that badly, now.

As I get older, I guess in some ways I get a bit smarter. I used to think that it was all about velocity etc., but now, with all of the good bullets and powders, it just is not necessary to shoot heavy kickers for most hunting.

For years I ran around with a m77 tanger in 338 Win mag for PA whitetail. Killed the chit out of them too. As did the 300 Ultra and Win mag. I too am a 7 Rem mag fan. My favorite all arounder. Nuttin wrong with belts or big cases. Billions of dollars have been made pushing heavy for caliber bullets to new and exciting levels. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good 270 Win or creedmoor. Life is short. Shoot often.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nope. smile

agreed see here http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
I sold all my magnums years ago. Now my big gun is a 308.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
Originally Posted by ERK

Should have just tried a Limbsaver recoil pad, would have made it feel like a Red Ryder.

grin

I have a friend who, for whatever reason, brought me his deer hunting rifle every year just before season and asked me to check zero for him. A tang safety Ruger 338 WM. I complied with his request for several years up until about 15 yrs. ago. I told him I was done with that hard kicking SOB. I have shot 7mm RM’s, 300 Wm’s, 375 H&H, even one 458 Magnum. I didn’t say I’d never shot the bigger calibers, just that I hadn’t owned any. My decision from shooting other people’s guns was that I didn’t need to tolerate the amount of recoil they produced.

Some people play golf, I reload and shoot! And mostly from a bench at varying distance at both paper and steel. I also hunt, but I spend much, much more time at the range than I do in the hunting fields. I want my rifles to be both capable for the hunting I do and light enough on the recoil that I can go to the range and enjoy myself while shooting forty to fifty rounds in a session. I don’t seek other people’s approval. I just wondered if others felt the same way or not. Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: mathman Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
I like to handload and shoot too. Most of the time I don't load my 308's full throttle.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
i am lucky my body handles recoil ok the only gun a dislike to shoot with recoil is my Savage 220 bolt action 20 gauge slug gun that sometimes is a little nasty with recoil. my Ruger #1 458 Lott seems to have less recoil that that Savage 220 20 gauge slug gun.
Posted By: ERK Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
As far as being under gunned I did experience this in Alaska. I had taken my 300 mag instead of my 30-06 because of the 300 FPS second difference with 180 trainers. I was dropped off and was walking out after dark past two moose kills that had been fed on by grizzlies. It hit me how stupid this was and was wishing for something like a 458 or such. N ever did that again. I felt very undergunned at that point. Ed k
Posted By: hanco Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
I have 243’s up to 338 Win mags, recoil doesn’t bother me. After seeing grandkids slay deer and pigs with 243’s, yes I’m over gunned for deer and piggies. A 223 with a 62 grain Barnes or Bear Claw will kill a 200 lb pig with ease. I would like to have a Swift or 22-250 with a 1 in 8 twist barrel.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have 243’s up to 338 Win mags, recoil doesn’t bother me. After seeing grandkids slay deer and pigs with 243’s, yes I’m over gunned for deer and piggies. A 223 with a 62 grain Barnes or Bear Claw will kill a 200 lb pig with ease. I would like to have a Swift or 22-250 with a 1 in 8 twist barrel.

Try one of these:

http://www.mcwhorterrifles.com/22-creedmoor-release/
Originally Posted by mathman
I like to handload and shoot too. Most of the time I don't load my 308's full throttle.

I like the 308 too. If I was gonna buy another rifle in another chambering, that’s what I would get. However, my 7mm-08 is not too far behind the 308, just as the 6.5 CM is not too far behind the 7mm-08. Oh well. I usually don’t load balls -to-the-wall either, as my goal is the best accuracy I can find with decent velocity. There are a few bullets that I have wanted to shoot however that seemed to be at their best when pushed pretty hard.
If I rebarrel my main hunting 308 it will most likely become a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19
Back in my youth I borrowed a .30-30, .30-06 and .300 WM from a gun guy buddy of my dads and shot deer with all of them. Actually that first buck with the .30-30 tipped over faster than with the other two. Then like an earlier poster, I had to have a .30-06 and then a one size does everything 7mm RM. I shot a bunch of deer and a few elk with that big 7, but then one cold opening day the recoil of that thing shooting an 8 pointer compressed my down parka such that my forehead was what stopped lots of that recoil. It took that jolt between the eyes to knock some sense into me to build up a 7mm-08 with a .300 Savage back up rifle for my deer hunting. I'd probably still use that RM for an elk or a moose, but it is sure not necessary for a WI. whitetail. In reality a deer shows up fast here and from anywhere and less gun with less recoil is an asset when you might need to shoot in a twisted around position. Then too we all talk about super long range accuracy, but the reality is that most guys will shoot MORE accurately with less recoil than they would with a big howling magnum.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Under Gunned? - 08/23/19

I can help with the clue dep't.
[Linked Image]
I miss my #1. Nice rifles.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Under Gunned? - 08/24/19
I enjoy handloading/shooting too, and unfortunately, far more than my few opportunities to hunt. At least in the last 12 yrs or so. Life had a way of wanting my Time. ha I have seen many guys who were afraid of a 30-06 ( well, my FIL had a Sears Mod 70 knock-off that was Brut-Tell!) but they will shoot a 12ga or even 12ga Magnum or 3 1/2 12ga all day, whether it be birds or clays, ha. The heavy shotgun loads always "jarred/slapped/instant pain recoil to me. I enjoyed shooting pheasants with a little 20ga 3" far, far more! The only time I ever felt "undergunned" were afew, rare times; a. wading into sounders with a 20ga/birdshot or .22 and angry mean sows. b. 2 mile walk in pitch black night, no flashlight with a bow in Black Bear Country, Uncompahgre Plateau. c. having 3 (South Africa) (Rhino trot in front of a Toyota (in heavy fog, they came "out of nowhere") so close one "brushed" the front bumper. I was in back with a 35 Whelen AI/200X and when fog cleared, we drove by a gigantic, "big as a Limousine Bull at the Houston Fat Stock Show" Cape Buffalo Bull around 40yds. Only times. Well, I'm not counting the 1972 Tactical Nuke stand-off with Warsaw Pac at the Czhech Border/Grafenvoehr as the NVA made their Easter Offensive in Nam. Commies...they all need killing! frown BTW, Its been 55yrs for me too, where did it go??? lol
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Under Gunned? - 08/24/19
The older I get the more I appreciate lightweight, light recoiling rifles and modern mono/bonded/hybrid bullets.

I run 95g SST's in my .243 Win, not because I consider them great bullets, but because I've only developed one load for that rifle. Sample of one antelope, it worked.

The .257 Roberts gets +P loads using a 100g TTSX, 110g AB and a 120g A-Frame. While the Roberts has gone elk hunting with the A-Frame (no shot opportunities), it has accounted for more antelope than all my other rifles combined. My 6.5-06AI is a great shooter with 130g Scirocco II bullets, but it is too heavy to want to carry it far. Very little recoil, though, which makes it ideal for some uses.

My 7mm RM has taken more elk than all my other rifles combined, but my relatively new .280 Rem could have taken every one of them with a 140g TTSX, AB or North Fork HP. Works great on antelope, too.

That said, I have two cow elk tags for Colorado's 4th Rifle this November. I will likely be shooting last again this year, so ranges might be on the long side. The short-action rifles will stay home. Don't know if I'll take two rifles, as is normal, or just one, but one will definitely be a magnum.
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: Under Gunned? - 09/19/19
[quote=lastround]
I have a friend who, for whatever reason, brought me his deer hunting rifle every year just before season and asked me to check zero for him. A tang safety Ruger 338 WM. I complied with his request for several years up until about 15 yrs. ago. I told him I was done with that hard kicking SOB. I have shot 7mm RM’s, 300 Wm’s, 375 H&H, even one 458 Magnum. I didn’t say I’d never shot the bigger calibers, just that I hadn’t owned any. My decision from shooting other people’s guns was that I didn’t need to tolerate the amount of recoil they produced.

Sounds like we have the same friend. My friend also had a early 338 mag Ruger 77 with the thin red recoil pad, they were miserable kickers, unless you worked them over. I had a pre-Garcia Sako in 338 mag which shot just fine.
Anyway My friend and I were going after Caribou, he with the Ruger 338 mag and I with my 30-06 Featherweight M70. Well opening morning we came up on 2 Caribou about 150 to 170 yards out. We decided they would fill our needs nicely, I was going to take the bigger critter on the left and Gary would take the other. I fired and dropped my animal, DRT, and Gary fired and kicked up dirt just short of the second Caribou. Cranked in a second round and kicked up dirt about 30 yards in front of the animal. Third shot hit the dirt half way between the critter and us. Needless to say Gary had a bit of a flinch. Miraculously the second Caribou was still there, obviously nervous, but still there. Gary looks at me and says, will you shoot that damn Caribou. So I dropped that one also, with one shot. I was using Hornady 190 SPBT with a load of IMR 4350.
When we got back to town, Gary handed me his Ruger and said "sell it", he bought a Winchester Featherweight M 70 in 308.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Under Gunned? - 09/19/19
As I grow older, I'm coming to the conclusion that recoil just ain't fun anymore. I have some hard kickers, does the .416 Rigby count? But frankly the challenge just ain't there. My go to elk rifle is usually my .35 Whelen and its not all that bad.However, I've been play with the 7x57 Mauser for a while and have at least one decent load with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. I also have a good load in a .280 Rem. with the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam, the older two core version. I might try the 160 gr. Speer hot core in the 7x57 if the rifle likes that bullet. When I was young, I always tried the hard kicking rifles just for the challenge of mastering them. Now that I'm in my eighth decade, the possibility of things like a detached retina or other severe recoil related problems is telling me to back off. Probably my Whelen or a a 30-06 will be about the stoutest cartridge I will shoot anymore. I'll take the 7x57 for my elk hunt and probably the Whelen or an 06 as a back up rifle.
Paul B.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Under Gunned? - 09/19/19
I never was afflicted by magnumitis. While my buds were insisting you needed a 270 or 30-06 to kill deer I was putting them down with the 257 Roberts and 243. While in Kodiak my friends thought I was crazy for hunting Browns with a 30-06 and 35 Whelen. I was confident in good bullets and good shot placement.
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: Under Gunned? - 09/19/19
There's no problem with shooting small bores if you're dealing with non-dangerous game, and no problem with shooting low velocity cartridges if you're shooting close.

Many people however are not shooting close.

There is however a problem with shooting slow twist rifles for larger game as sectional density is the biggest determinant of the depth you can get an expanded bullet to penetrate.
Posted By: memtb Re: Under Gunned? - 09/19/19
I’ve always wanted a bigger, more powerful rifle....just can’t justify a .458 Lott! So, I’ll just stay with my little rifle....let people think what they may! wink memtb
Posted By: rimfire Re: Under Gunned? - 09/19/19
As you get experience hunting the less gun you need.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Under Gunned? - 09/19/19
I deer hunted for many years with a 12 gauge Ithaca M37 "Deerslayer". I killed alot of deer with that gun but it did kick kinda fierce. Lets just say I don't intend to hunt the slug zone again and am glad of it. From here on out my .223, .243, 6.5 Creedmoor and .30-30 will do just fine.
There is a lot of conversation about today’s powders and bullets making the smaller calibers much more effective.....I believe that same technology has made the bigger cartridges better also. Seems logical to me! wink memtb
Originally Posted by moosemike

[Linked Image]

moosemike, Nice! memtb
Posted By: battue Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19
Doug,

Try a .22-250 and a TTSX on Deer and you may sell the 7mm-08. smile
Posted By: moosemike Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19
Originally Posted by memtb

[Linked Image]

moosemike, Nice! memtb

Thank you. It's a hell of a thing to shoot. But my son enjoys it.

And you best hope you never do. For most recoil is cumulative and once the first flinch occurs it is in the subconscious. Waiting to come out again. And when it does it may be at the bench or on game. It may be with a big kicker or a .22lr. The subconscious makes the decision of when. On game, you may not even know. You just had a mysterious miss. If you are standing, you may even get to take a little walk.

Some better than good shooters have had to deal with it.

Good luck. 😉
Posted By: SKane Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19

The testosterone is strong in this one.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19
Originally Posted by SKane

I need to let him shoot the 458 Lott so he can finally "Feel" recoil.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19
A lot of responses sound like excuses for poor marksmanship. They need to go back to the basics of shooting. Good form will cure a flinch.
Really????

Tell that to accomplished world class shooters and see what they have to say.
Posted By: devnull Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19
I agree with the OP. Used an '06 for close to 20 years before deciding I didn't have to deal with recoil to kill a deer. Went to a .260 and never looked back. I laugh at the guys that say they don't flinch. My opinion is that they don't shoot much or they're embellishing in their marksmanship skills. I guarantee you if you sit at a bench with a hard kicker for 50-100 rounds (can even be a lowly .270 hunting rifle), you'll develop a flinch. Watching John Q public shoot is Macho Man.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19
After getting one of those high tech ICD pacemakers installed, my Doctor, himself a hunter and shooter, made me swear off heavy recoil rifles. Still killing animals at will though, with “lesser” cartridges. 😜
Posted By: Brad Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19
Originally Posted by MM879
A lot of responses sound like excuses for poor marksmanship. They need to go back to the basics of shooting. Good form will cure a flinch.

Wow, just wow... just when you thought you'd read it all.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19
ya heavy recoil can be nasty but in some situations it just might be needed ? for whitetail bucks and muledeer bucks a like a rifle that shoots fast ,flat and hits them hard ,i liked to knock these bucks down and hard,bucks are many times alot tougher than the small deer and a flat shooting rifle is a real plus too.so these 3 cartridges and maybe some others is what i would use and do use too . 257 W.Mag,270 W.Mag ,264 Win.Mag. these 3 have less recoil but still shoot very flat and hit bucks dang hard too, and i am sure there are some others too ? and i am sure someone is going to mention more the Koolaid cartridges.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19
I own and still hunt with a few hard kickers, however the majority of my shooting is with 223, 22-250, 243's etc.... I do run a few rounds through the bigger guns before the season to check zero.

I don't find the hard kickers enjoyable at the bench anymore.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Under Gunned? - 09/20/19
Originally Posted by pete53
ya heavy recoil can be nasty but in some situations it just might be needed ? for whitetail bucks and muledeer bucks a like a rifle that shoots fast ,flat and hits them hard ,i liked to knock these bucks down and hard,bucks are many times alot tougher than the small deer and a flat shooting rifle is a real plus too.so these 3 cartridges and maybe some others is what i would use and do use too . 257 W.Mag,270 W.Mag ,264 Win.Mag. these 3 have less recoil but still shoot very flat and hit bucks dang hard too, and i am sure there are some others too ? and i am sure someone is going to mention more the Koolaid cartridges.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: lastround Re: Under Gunned? - 09/21/19
Originally Posted by battue
Doug,

Good morning Harry,
Since I originally posted this thread, I’ve had another moment of weakness. The LGS got a trade-in that I couldn’t resist, but it wasn’t a 22-250. It’s an early boat paddle stocked Ruger M-77 MkII stainless in...........308 Winchester. Recoil is not too bad, but this is as far up the caliber ladder as I’m going. And as Mathman stated earlier in this thread, I probably won’t load it to the gills either. Oh, and I do have a 223 for when I get really old!
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Under Gunned? - 09/21/19

I've read this entire thread and didn't see any that spoke to the drivel you posed. Maybe you could quoe some of these poor marksmen.
Posted By: battue Re: Under Gunned? - 09/21/19
Doug,

Good morning Harry,
Since I originally posted this thread, I’ve had another moment of weakness. The LGS got a trade-in that I couldn’t resist, but it wasn’t a 22-250. It’s an early boat paddle stocked Ruger M-77 MkII stainless in...........308 Winchester. Recoil is not too bad, but this is as far up the caliber ladder as I’m going. And as Mathman stated earlier in this thread, I probably won’t load it to the gills either. Oh, and I do have a 223 for when I get really old!

After all these years, the guy who runs that LGS probably knows your weaknesses and what you can't resist!!!! grin
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Under Gunned? - 09/22/19

Good form will cure a lot of things - but never a flinch.
Posted By: lastround Re: Under Gunned? - 09/22/19
Doug,

Good morning Harry,

After all these years, the guy who runs that LGS probably knows your weaknesses and what you can't resist!!!! grin

You may have something there!
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Under Gunned? - 09/22/19
If you have a .30-06 in North America you don’t need anything else.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Under Gunned? - 09/22/19
Nope. smile

Late to the party, but ditto. 😏
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Under Gunned? - 09/22/19
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Nope. smile

Late to the party, but ditto. 😏

+2

Quigley
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Under Gunned? - 09/23/19
708 would do about all you need...
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Under Gunned? - 09/23/19
My 350 Rem Mag 660 kicks more than my CZ458 Lott. I'm figuring to go up in Big Bores because you have a better blood trail, can eat up to the bullet hole and it can never be big enough if you got a mean azz grizzly.
Posted By: memtb Re: Under Gunned? - 09/23/19
Originally Posted by kaboku68
My 350 Rem Mag 660 kicks more than my CZ458 Lott. I'm figuring to go up in Big Bores because you have a better blood trail, can eat up to the bullet hole and it can never be big enough if you got a mean azz grizzly.

👍 memtb
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: Under Gunned? - 11/04/19
Originally Posted by SKane

I need to let him shoot the 458 Lott so he can finally "Feel" recoil.

Try a 505 Gibbs
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: Under Gunned? - 11/04/19
I have a few with the magnum designation. And a few of what may be considered bigger bores, depending upon who is doing the classification. My rule of thumb is if it hurts me, I will not be using it.
My philosophy is shoot what you like. I have my personal bullet / cartridge minimums. But, that is purely personal and I worry not with what others use.

Posted By: cwh2 Re: Under Gunned? - 11/04/19
Originally Posted by kaboku68

And if its in a CZ550, you can always take a chainsaw to the stock and whittle off enough lumber to build a cabin, should the need arise.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Under Gunned? - 11/05/19

If you are a wuss I may be a bigger wuss. I have owned one 7 mm mag and did not need to shoot it much to decide I do not care for its recoil at all! I was started out on a 6mm Rem and truth be told I feel this would have served me more than adequate for the deer hunting I have done & will be do going forward. To see what I was missing out on I have bought and used a 30-06, 270 Winchester & honestly for the hunting I do the 6.5 Grendel is as much as I feel I will need, Though If I would draw a Elk tag then I may brake out the 270 Win again.
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Under Gunned? - 11/05/19
When I first came here, I quickly noticed the correlation between getting older, and losing one's affinity for (or at least tolerance of) recoil. I probably adopted that earlier than I needed to. Personally, I find muzzle blast even more objectionable than recoil.

While I always had a weakness for the 7x57 for being short on kick but long on killing power, I've also come to embrace the .300 Savage for similar reasons. That older, and interesting guns frequently were so chambered, is another bonus.

I know the earlier poster mentioned a 55 grain powder limit, and I might even go with 45-ish grains as my daily-shooting, "happy limit." Hypocrite that I am, I used 74.5 grains of R22 in a .300 WM to kill my mountain goat. Ah, but that was once-in-a lifetime, not "daily". grin

Hey, whatever keeps it FUN for YOU, do it.

FC
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Under Gunned? - 11/05/19
Originally Posted by Otter6

I do not like recoil one little bit and should I ever desire to have the living śhit kicked out of me I shall give my wife some lip and suffer the consequences.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Under Gunned? - 11/05/19
Had a .338 that I sold and bought a 30-06. Shoot the 06 better than the magnum. Like the .300 Savage to and 20 gauge slugs instead of 12. At 60 I don’t need to take anymore of a beating then necessary.
Posted By: szihn Re: Under Gunned? - 11/05/19
Bullet HOLES kill game. Not bullets per se, not scopes, not cartridge cases, not even rifles themselves.

It's the hole that does the killing. All other things are tools to help make the hole and place it where you want it.

Personally I like larger rifles. I DO NOT believe you NEED a larger rifle for most hunting.
50+ years of hunting and guiding in many states and a few other countries have formed my view of what works and what doesn't. Bullets that do erratic things can be super killers, and also can be super failures. And the problem is you don't get to vote as to which way they are going to work when you squeeze off a shot. So I am convinced that a deer hunter with a good bullet in his 243 is better armed then a hunter with a poor bullet in his 7MM Mag. If the bullet makes a good diameter hole and goes through the game in a relativity straight line leaving an exit wound, you have a good set of tools to hunt with -----------no matter what is stampede on the barrel or on the head of the case.

I seldom see hunters under gunned. I do see hunters shooting bullets that can and do give problems at times.

And I do see a few hunters ever year who are totally "under-skilled" and under practiced.
Posted By: memtb Re: Under Gunned? - 11/05/19
Originally Posted by szihn
Bullet HOLES kill game. Not bullets per se, not scopes, not cartridge cases, not even rifles themselves.

It's the hole that does the killing. All other things are tools to help make the hole and place it where you want it.

Personally I like larger rifles. I DO NOT believe you NEED a larger rifle for most hunting.
50+ years of hunting and guiding in many states and a few other countries have formed my view of what works and what doesn't. Bullets that do erratic things can be super killers, and also can be super failures. And the problem is you don't get to vote as to which way they are going to work when you squeeze off a shot. So I am convinced that a deer hunter with a good bullet in his 243 is better armed then a hunter with a poor bullet in his 7MM Mag. If the bullet makes a good diameter hole and goes through the game in a relativity straight line leaving an exit wound, you have a good set of tools to hunt with -----------no matter what is stampede on the barrel or on the head of the case.

I seldom see hunters under gunned. I do see hunters shooting bullets that can and do give problems at times.

And I do see a few hunters ever year who are totally "under-skilled" and under practiced.

👍 Though it never hurts to have a larger caliber with a “superior” bullet! wink memtb
© 24hourcampfire