Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
When I first came here, I quickly noticed the correlation between getting older, and losing one's affinity for (or at least tolerance of) recoil. I probably adopted that earlier than I needed to. Personally, I find muzzle blast even more objectionable than recoil.

While I always had a weakness for the 7x57 for being short on kick but long on killing power, I've also come to embrace the .300 Savage for similar reasons. That older, and interesting guns frequently were so chambered, is another bonus.

I know the earlier poster mentioned a 55 grain powder limit, and I might even go with 45-ish grains as my daily-shooting, "happy limit." Hypocrite that I am, I used 74.5 grains of R22 in a .300 WM to kill my mountain goat. Ah, but that was once-in-a lifetime, not "daily". grin

Hey, whatever keeps it FUN for YOU, do it.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by Sako
Keep in mind that bullet technology has changed a lot and has helped a lot for smaller calibers... However, if you think a 30-06 is a big gun.... HA... you have no clue what a big gun is... I have no idea why guys are shy about recoil... never once had an issue with it and never once felt it when I shot a deer either

Don't know about the rest of you fellas,but I'm impressed.

I do not like recoil one little bit and should I ever desire to have the living śhit kicked out of me I shall give my wife some lip and suffer the consequences.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Had a .338 that I sold and bought a 30-06. Shoot the 06 better than the magnum. Like the .300 Savage to and 20 gauge slugs instead of 12. At 60 I don’t need to take anymore of a beating then necessary.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bullet HOLES kill game. Not bullets per se, not scopes, not cartridge cases, not even rifles themselves.

It's the hole that does the killing. All other things are tools to help make the hole and place it where you want it.

Personally I like larger rifles. I DO NOT believe you NEED a larger rifle for most hunting.
50+ years of hunting and guiding in many states and a few other countries have formed my view of what works and what doesn't. Bullets that do erratic things can be super killers, and also can be super failures. And the problem is you don't get to vote as to which way they are going to work when you squeeze off a shot. So I am convinced that a deer hunter with a good bullet in his 243 is better armed then a hunter with a poor bullet in his 7MM Mag. If the bullet makes a good diameter hole and goes through the game in a relativity straight line leaving an exit wound, you have a good set of tools to hunt with -----------no matter what is stampede on the barrel or on the head of the case.

I seldom see hunters under gunned. I do see hunters shooting bullets that can and do give problems at times.

And I do see a few hunters ever year who are totally "under-skilled" and under practiced.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by szihn
Bullet HOLES kill game. Not bullets per se, not scopes, not cartridge cases, not even rifles themselves.

It's the hole that does the killing. All other things are tools to help make the hole and place it where you want it.

Personally I like larger rifles. I DO NOT believe you NEED a larger rifle for most hunting.
50+ years of hunting and guiding in many states and a few other countries have formed my view of what works and what doesn't. Bullets that do erratic things can be super killers, and also can be super failures. And the problem is you don't get to vote as to which way they are going to work when you squeeze off a shot. So I am convinced that a deer hunter with a good bullet in his 243 is better armed then a hunter with a poor bullet in his 7MM Mag. If the bullet makes a good diameter hole and goes through the game in a relativity straight line leaving an exit wound, you have a good set of tools to hunt with -----------no matter what is stampede on the barrel or on the head of the case.

I seldom see hunters under gunned. I do see hunters shooting bullets that can and do give problems at times.

And I do see a few hunters ever year who are totally "under-skilled" and under practiced.

👍 Though it never hurts to have a larger caliber with a “superior” bullet! wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/05/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,638
Posts18,512,196
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.