Home
Posted By: Old_Crab Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
Every now-and-again I give my centerfire rifles a really thorough bore and chamber cleaning down to bare metal....
When I get them back to the range, I always see these range results following the deep-cleaning:

- Some of them start grouping well, right after one or two fouling-shots.
- But, a few of them need 10-20 shots to “settle-in”, then group well, and continue to group well in following range sessions.

Why do some barrels need those extra rounds through them following a deep cleaning?

Thanks in advance for your replies on this!

Cheers.
Posted By: Brad Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
Because they’re all individuals...
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
I have seen the same thing, especially with a 22LR. Depends on the barrel I guess, some need more fouling than others to "settle" in. To me, the first cold bore shot is the money shot, except for 22LR target rifles. Then I want consistent grouping.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
To refill the tool marks, rough spots, pits, with the copper/gilding metal you removed cleaning the barrel down to bare metal. Some barrels will shoot better slighly fowled rather than when they are squeaky clean.
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by Craigster
To refill the tool marks, rough spots, pits, with the copper/gilding metal you removed cleaning the barrel down to bare metal. Some barrels will shoot better slighly fowled rather than when they are squeaky clean.

Makes sense.
Thanks for the education!
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
I've long ago taken JBs advice and stopped cleaning rifle barrels so much
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I’m inclined to join the club.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by Old_Crab

I’m inclined to join the club.

X2 i don`t clean my rifles or my shotguns much i just wipe my rifles down some
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
The one & only time I cleaned my favorite 300 WSM, it needed12 rounds before it settled back in. I was starting to fret. Had me concerned. Have not cleaned it since. That was about 400 rounds back. Still driving tacks.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19

Same. Don't need to be making any more work for myself.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
Good to read that I'm not the only one who has seen this and I always thought that it was just me having had too much coffee or something might have been loose. A Shilen custom barrel should not be full of tool marks, rough spots or pits and a synthetic stock shouldn't be moving around either. I know now that I was cleaning too often lots of times only after a few rounds to confirm the zero. Minute of a whitetail brisket, but a little disappointing on a target.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
JB wrote an article where he talked about a rifle he had that he couldn't get to shoot. He was at the range and decided to just shoot a bunch of rounds to see what happened. He shot something like 25 or 30 rounds and it started grouping. I would never have that much patience.
Posted By: lastround Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
With a new gun or a new barrel, I clean to bare metal after each range session until I have about 200 rounds through. After that I clean just enough to get out any excess fouling. Just me.
Posted By: pavementends Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
I will have to quote Big Stick, "Cleaning before your groups open up is like wiping your but before you take a dump" Most rifles will tell you how often they want to be cleaned by the results on paper. Having said that I was raised to clean after each trip to the range. I now believe we should pay the most attention to the "cold bore shot" I see on Utube many folks speak of warming the rifle up before shooting for groups. For hunters the first shot from a cold bore should be on target and the rifle will tell you if that is from a clean or a fouled bore.
Pavementends
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Why does this happen? - 09/18/19
My Rugers prefer a dirty barrel, and I have heard others say the same thing.
© 24hourcampfire