Home
I'd told you guys that I'd let you know as soon as we had the Howa Mini's in 6.5 Grendel in the youth package again -- so here you go!

https://whittakercountry.com/product/79783

It's a combo. The gun comes with a black youth stock and a green full size stock.It's the 22" standard barrel configuration. $359.99.

You may also notice it's the first link I've posted in a while and the first link to the whittakercountry site. The site still isn't 100%, but its coming along. You'll see some big pricing changes in the next week or so. We'll also have all the products on in short order too. This whole internet fiasco has been and royal pain.
Just tested it from your link through checkout. My account was still there. I wasn't banned? grin Layaway worked slick! Daughter is almost 6....
Posted By: ckat Re: Howa 6.5 Grendel youth.... - 09/21/19
Big pricing changes... up or down???
Link worked fine. Search function seemed to work O.K. as well. Nothing wonky. Glad to see you are getting the digital side back under control !
Can't tell if shipping is free or $9.99? Showed up in cart but disappeared on layaway... Free works for me...

Sight is pretty wonky on the Android....

Just noticed my complete order history is there, including phone orders. Nice! Used to miss some... smile
MtnBoomer...

You up for another go at a stock?
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
MtnBoomer...

You up for another go at a stock?

No, but maybe! I still want to hack one way down so the forearm is just a slab, I'll try it on mine. Damned little time at home. But, you know.... LOL

Been wanting one of these since you showed the picture of the buddies mule deer buck!
Hey, do these have the two-stage trigger?
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Yes indeed.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Yes indeed.

Good. Thanks!
That looks like it would be a fun little rifle.
tide u need one of those...
Thanks for the heads up. I thought I missed them
Gonna be Grendelin'!
Grendelicious!
What is the lop on the youth stock?
Originally Posted by Trigger06
What is the lop on the youth stock?

12.5" IIRC.

They list 12.61" for the youth 1500s.
Just ordered one. Looks like a fun gun.
If anyone wants to part with the youth stock to have a full size gun a little cheaper on theirs pm me. Would be perfect for my son in a year or two.
Posted By: pointer Re: Howa 6.5 Grendel youth.... - 09/26/19
If only they offered them in LH I'd have one on the way across the river...
What you folks doing for mounts/rings?

700 compatability? Seems like its diminutiveness might make a rail a good idea over 2 piece mounts?
Hmmm...

https://outerimpact.com/shop/howa-mini-action-picatinny-rail-20-moa/
Posted By: mathman Re: Howa 6.5 Grendel youth.... - 09/26/19
I can't stand those Hogue stocks.
Originally Posted by mathman

Nor I.
I wont feel bad if I ruin it with files and a grinder. smile
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Howa 6.5 Grendel youth.... - 09/26/19

agreed. floppy and ugly

Originally Posted by MadMooner

Work it like wood. Wood that'll melt that is.

Originally Posted by n8dawg6

agreed. floppy and ugly

Thick and fuggly for sure. Not floppy IME.

700 compatability? Seems like its diminutiveness might make a rail a good idea over 2 piece mounts?

Shorter, stiffer action, no? Two piece Warne bases.

Oh, yah, maybe more ring spread using a rail....

agreed. floppy and ugly

Yep, pretty rigid stock in my opinion. There are not the rubbery Hogue stocks although they have the same shape. I agree that they are homely, but I like them.
Posted By: CORDrew Re: Howa 6.5 Grendel youth.... - 09/26/19
Has anyone tried cutting/lightening one of these stocks before? I seem to remember seeing some photos of one that had been carved up... Can't remember if it was here or elsewhere. I think I'll be getting one, and trying to work the stock a little. Probably try to shorten the fore end and move the sling stud back. Maybe chop the barrel back too.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Howa 6.5 Grendel youth.... - 09/26/19
I like the Hogue stocks myself...

I tried those scope bases that MadMooner posted a link to...

I have them mounted on a Mini in 223...

I have a 30mm diameter tube on top... I think it makes the scope set too high above the bore...
minus that, they are a nice set up...

if I put like a 2 x 7 scope on it, with a 1 inch tube, it would probably set a lot lower...

I think the Grendal would be like a 6,5 version of a 30/30....which wouldn't be bad with 65 to 120 grain bullets..
heavier bullets, I think would yield diminishing returns..
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

agreed. floppy and ugly

Yep, pretty rigid stock in my opinion. There are not the rubbery Hogue stocks although they have the same shape. I agree that they are homely, but I like them.

im thinking of the rubber ones.

would love to have a well-balanced grendel in a svelte handle w 20” spout
Originally Posted by CORDrew
Has anyone tried cutting/lightening one of these stocks before? I seem to remember seeing some photos of one that had been carved up... Can't remember if it was here or elsewhere. I think I'll be getting one, and trying to work the stock a little. Probably try to shorten the fore end and move the sling stud back. Maybe chop the barrel back too.

Yes. I'll post some pics this evening. Can't offer as a service.... Done 7, or 8.
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

agreed. floppy and ugly

im thinking of the rubber ones.

would love to have a well-balanced grendel in a svelte handle w 20” spout

Yah, the overmolded ones must have enough less structure to matter, making them a bit fkexy. There's zero doubt they are all Hogues. Though I have been a proponent for slimming them, I have a rubbery 10/22 that doesn't seem to bother me, and it's pink. Maybe because it's pink. FIIK
[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

#1 for Travis
[Linked Image from farm1.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from farm6.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from farm6.staticflickr.com]

#1 Again

#2 for Hank. #1 and 2are rattlecanned. The rest are Duracoated.

Pre-shaping weight marked, 34.5oz, 30.3oz final.

A bit more work around the grip than Flav's.

Not this. I took a bunch of pics of Hank's stock before I started but can't find them. It wasn't all hacked up in the barrel channel like that other guy's! LOL
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is #4. It got a carbon fiber dip. And IIRC a magazine by the owner...
See all the holes?

This is a 1500. To get things slimmer ditch the pad, as it's not trimmable. Go flip-flop. Also, for me ditching the flutes is more enjoyable, less tedious. To get the forend tip that round requires some epoxy. I wan't to shorten to as was mentioned previously.

Last one for Formi, and the reason I want one too, in Grendel.
WOW! intellesting, somehow i missed any posts about modifying the hogues. those dont look shabby at all, very nice!

I was thinking of spacing between rings. Thought the little action might of placed them unduly close to each other. Pics look great though.

The stocks look killer!
Posted By: CORDrew Re: Howa 6.5 Grendel youth.... - 09/26/19
Nice work! Thanks for posting. Inspirational. I think you just cost me $359 for a rifle and a couple stocks... I'll post some pics when the project is underway. I'm envisioning a something very "mini" when its all done.

Is that a mini action on the buck in the last pic?

I was thinking of spacing between rings. Thought the little action might of placed them unduly close to each other. Pics look great though.

The stocks look killer!

Yah, I got to thinking on spacing too. Good point. I edited after you got the quote I guess.

Thanks for the Kudos.
Originally Posted by CORDrew
Nice work! Thanks for posting. Inspirational. I think you just cost me $359 for a rifle and a couple stocks... I'll post some pics when the project is underway. I'm envisioning a something very "mini" when its all done.

Is that a mini action on the buck in the last pic?

It is, a Grendel killer.. Tempted to ditch the whole forearm beside a slab sticking out, fully under the barrel, a few inches.... It's solid and thick enough, I THINK.
You can see on #1 and 2 the foreaem tip is not real rounded, kinda U shaped. There's a gap that opens up there if you do shape to round. As seen on the 1500, I used some Devcon PlastiSteel (the reliable epoxy for this material) to fill that gap, and allow the fuller rounded shape, ala Kimber.
I think the stocks are actually made by HTI.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I think the stocks are actually made by HTI.

Hogue titties inc?
H is for Hawt, not Hogue.

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-mini-action-rifle/
Interesting, don't recall Howa announcing that previously. Wonder if thee composition is the same..... Wonder if HTI makes the overmolds? Hmmmm. Thanks for the info.
I picked up a mini barreled action in 7.62x39 with the light barrel from Brownells on clearance a few years ago. It's got the cheap plastic mag and bottom metal. I was about to order a Boyd's laminate for it because I was tired of looking for a cheap Tupperware stock for it.

Then I saw this post and thought for the price of the Boyd's I should just put it towards this combo. I'll keep the adult stock on the Grendel and put the youth in the 7.62. Might be a bit of free float but it'll be ok.

Bb
First post here but could not resist. I picked up a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel Youth last year in case my kids wanted to hunt or a friends kid.I’ll be honest it was a challenge for me to get it to group. It’s really light! It does not like factory SST, Hornady Black is decent. It really likes the Federal TNT 90gr. I put a butt pad on it to increase LOP for me and slapped a Burris Fullfield (read about them here). It’s a great little gun. Killed my first hog with it Sunday. An estimated 250-300# sow at 25-30 yards. Dropped her where she stood.
Edit: As noted it is not a Hogue stock. Some kind of plastic. Reminds more of one on a Ruger Predator. With the 20” #1 barrel no flex issues on mine.

Attached picture 3D6AA5D3-0E64-4F14-9822-392B1B25EA61.jpeg
Cool. That's sure a fatty!

As per calling it a Hogue stock, I'm guilty. They're the same dimensions, contours, shape and pattern as the overmolds. Same same. Same pillars. Howa has sold the 1500 with the overmold.... That poly is likely the same chit that's under the rubber on the Hogue labeled overmolded stocks. Someone should kick the mold maker's ass for making them so fat, whatever company(ies) they worked for! LOL

Here is a better pic of her and the wound from the tnt bullet. Interested to see how it does on deer but it would need to be close for me to try.

Attached picture 30D4D537-D998-4FA3-8A07-75F1951AD6F7.jpeg
Cool. That's sure a fatty!

As per calling it a Hogue stock, I'm guilty. They're the same dimensions, contours, shape and pattern as the overmolds. Same same. Same pillars. Howa has sold the 1500 with the overmold.... That poly is likely the same chit that's under the rubber on the Hogue labeled overmolded stocks. Someone should kick the mold maker's ass for making them so fat, whatever company(ies) they worked for! LOL

I looked at the ad again and it does say the Youth stock is a Hogue? This is a great deal for someone wanting a “truck” gun that handle different scenarios. Mine has the linked 20 MOA rail and does the trick. I’d be careful not to over scope it. MtnBoomer, Your stocks look amazing. Are you sure you can’t offer it as a service?! Any recommendations on product for painting my black Hogue? I think you said one was Duracoat.
If you'd want to mess with an airbrush, Duracoat is pretty forgiving. It's a simple 12:1 ratio so tea and tablespoons work. There's aerosol version too but I have not used it. But, lots of great stuff has come from cans of Krylon we've had lots of fun with painting threads. Ill try to link you to some.

I suspect both mini stocks will be the hard types, not overmolded rubber ones.... Danged if I know for sure.

Curious question.....

Is it possible to retrofit an Alpine stock so that it would work on a mini action?
© 24hourcampfire